All hotels in Cape May, New Jersey, United States of America
205 W Beach Ave, Cape May, NJ, 08204, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Found our home at the shore!"
Fantastic! Great location--beach across the street and 3 blocks from Congress Hall; Great music every evening; Great food at The Rusty Nail (especially the fried oysters). Room was clean, spacious, fridge, microwave, 2 TV's and extra vanity space. Could actually sleep 4. If you just want to kick back and watch the ocean, you have a one stop location. Or you're only blocks from restaurants, specialty shops and dinner shows.
3 night trip Sep 21, 2013
Carol and Robert
"PERFECT HOTEL"
WENT FOR ONE NIGHT FOR A LITTLE GETAWAY.GREAT ROOM.CLOSE TO EVERYTHING.RUSTY NAIL HAS GREAT FOOD AND LOVED THE FIRE PIT AT NIGHT.WE WILL BE BACK.
1 night trip Sep 27, 2013
"Good Location"
The room had a very moldy smell and the lighting overall was very poor. The carpets were dirty.
Other trip Sep 30, 2013
"Good location and close to the beach."
It is very nice hotel to stay.It is very close to the beach . The hotel also provides service at the beach.Car parking is also free for customers. There is also Rusty Nails Restaurant to service nearby with the music.We like it because we get different kind of moods at the same place.I also like the services at the check-in very much because the staff was so nice.She gave us lots of information such as the places to eat and shopping.Thank you for her suggestions
Other trip Sep 26, 2013
Eddie
"Awesome Place"
Wanted to go somewhere new for a first anniversary and this place was perfect.
2 night trip Sep 14, 2013
Bruce
"Close to beach"
Room was nice, and across the street from the beach. We had no complaints about the room itself Only issue we had was that they did not have our reservations for two rooms. So we had to wait until they found accommodations, They gave us a bungalow that would accommodate the two couples, but of course we did not have the privacy we would have had with two rooms. I do not know if Expedia made the error or the hotel goofed. The staff was great both from a personality standpoint and for finding us a room that would serve our purposes.
Other trip Sep 17, 2013
Mrs M
"Magnificent view, conveniently located!"
Comfy & convenient. Wouldn't have had to leave the prem at all but elected to sight see.
1 night trip Sep 12, 2013
"Great placce to stay"
The hotel was very nice with great access to the beach and nearby dining. I will be staying here again in the future.
1 night trip Sep 12, 2013
Emily
"Just a must see place"
Two night stay. Planning on returning. This is a great pick. On the beach with chairs, towels & unbrella availble free to guests. Didn't get a chance to check out the Rusty Nail associated with the hotel, but our hotel neighbors said it was great to eat and relax.
2 night trip Sep 11, 2013
C & T
"Close to the Beach"
Close to the Beach, nice outside bar with fire pit and the staff was friendly and happy!
Other trip Sep 15, 2013
Garry
"Everything we needed and then some."
We had a wonderful time and can't wait to return!
2 night trip Sep 7, 2013
Deborah and Ted
"Nice Hotel,close to beach."
Nothing fancy,clean,close to beach,no need to drive,nice outdoor pool and hotel had beach chairs,umbrellas and towels for use on the beach.
Other trip Sep 14, 2013
TOM
"Not what I expected -- sorely in need of an update"
First hotel I've ever been in that had no telephone....smallest bathroom I've ever been in. Suitable for college kids on spring break.
Other trip Sep 13, 2013
S
"Excellent vacation"
Staff and facilities were excellent, the restaurant "the rusty nail" had excellent food, hung out at night to listen to the live entertainment and the fire pit.. would definitely recommend this motel also they offed a cabana like area on beach for guest's
Other trip Sep 13, 2013
"Great area"
Nice hotel. Close to everything. Room smells a little musky. Outside at rusty nail one night both servers kept asking others if they needed anything but would never ask me. It was like I was invisible.
2 night trip Sep 7, 2013
"BEACHFRONT MOTEL"
PEOPLE HERE WERE VERY NICE AND TREATED US RESPECTFULLY.THE AVAILABILITY OF UMBRELLAS,CHAIRS AND TOWELLS IS A NICE PERK.POOL AND BEACH F&B SERVICE IS ALSO A NICE PERK.
Other trip Sep 5, 2013
WILLIAM
Loved our stay at the Beach Shack! Room was modest but very clean, staff was extremely helpful and courteous, and the location was perfect! Our favorite amenity were the complimentary lounge chairs, towels and umbrellas on the beach! What a terrific convenience! While there are "fancier" hotels in Cape May, the price, location and beach services make the Beach Shack a perfect spot for us!
2 night trip Aug 18, 2013
"Pretty pricey for this place but fun spot."
Like: being across from the beach, the umbrellas and chairs included with the beach, the food service included with the beach, the restaurant, the happy hour vibe at the hotel in the afternoon. Just okay: room. Seemed like an older building. Nothing special at all. Could improve on the decor. Kids took over the pool. Wish there was a hot tub. Did not like: the price. Almost $400/night for a 2-star hotel. For that price I expected a LOT more. Would be nicer if the parking lots were behind the hotels so not to obstruct views of the beach (this applies to all of Cape Map hotels along Beach).
Other trip Jul 15, 2013
"amazing location and love the Rusty nail"
My husband and I went to Cape May for the first time. We had a great time. We loved the location of the Beach Shack in walking distance to everything we never drove anywhere. Overall the Beach Shack was a nice place very clean and the staff was so nice. The lighting in the room was not great. The Beach shack is nothing fancy but I would def stay again. The Rusty Nail has great food and lots of fun...
2 night romance trip Jun 28, 2013
Marchyvp
"Service a home run, makes up for room"
We may have had the least desirable room despite paying for best available, but the service and location were fantastic. We opted to spend most time out of room, and beach or poolside.
Other trip Jun 21, 2013
will
"Great experience!!"
The customer service was exceptional! The room was clean and the staff was very friendly. The location is great. Right across the street from the beach. Definetly will come back and recommend it to anyone visiting Cape May.
1 night romance trip Jun 8, 2013
T Rivera.
"Great location...and better price!"
We loved the room with chairs outside...to hear the music at the adjoining restaurant during happy hour and early evening....good musicians and nice choices. Good good service at the hotel...and all was bright an cheerful. It was a quick walk to town, and the closest hotel on the beach...other than very high end condos and The Congress Hotel...which is an historic hotel.
1 night trip Jun 4, 2013
"Amazing Stay"
My Husband and I are already looking forward to returning. We were very impressed with their service and how they immediately responded to any questions or needs you might have. I'm highly allergic to feather pillows which they had. My husband went to the office and in 5 minutes we had all the pillows removed. I'm also highly allergic to black mold. My husband looked for that also and there was none. Also we were very impressed with the kitchen. We had actual plates, silverware and Mugs. Also wine goblets. In all our travels we have never seen that before. We would recommend The Beach Shack to anyone. A beautiful view of the Ocean and a wonderful restaurant near by called the Rusty Nail. It was a marvelous 2 days. Just wish we were able to stay longer. We will the next time. Thank you to the Staff. A job well done!
Other trip May 23, 2013
Ellie
This is a great place to stay, great location and friendly people, room was clean, and check in was simple. I will be back.
1 night trip May 10, 2013
"Nice getaway"
We only stayed one night but we had a great time. We arrived early and we able to get into our room which really makes a difference on a one night stay. The beach bar was fun and reasonably priced. The big firepit was nice. We would stay again!
Other trip Nov 3, 2012
Lizz304
"Beachfront Property"
The hotel was relatively easy to find. We passed by it once because we missed the sign. I also think Garmin misdirected us. Unfortunately, their restaurant was closed so we had to walk to the downtown area to find one. Not a real problem, though, because we found a good restaurant downtown with excellent sea food. The only problem we encountered with our room is that one of the table lamps was defective with loose wiring and the management changed it at my request. Other than that, we enjoyed our stay even though it was for only one night.
1 night trip Oct 3, 2012
Great spot. Had room across from fire pit, was way too noisy.
Other trip Oct 5, 2012
Mar
"Loved it"
We loved out stay! We were there at the end of September and the town was uncrowded. We loved the location. We loved the beach service. We loved the fire pit in the evening. The beds were super comfy and we had a great stay!
Other trip Sep 30, 2012
Whitney
"Great little get-away!"
My husband and I wanted to have a quick little weekend get-away for our 1st Anniversary, and had gone to Cape May for a mini-honeymoon a year ago and loved it! The Beach Shack was definitely about 10 steps up from other beach motels I had stayed at in the past! The staff was very friendly, the hotel was clean and comfortable. Not knowing what to expect for the room (which was right by the pool, though due to colder weather we weren't able to use it) we were very pleasantly surprised. You walk in to a little living room area with a sectional couch, flat-screen TV, microwave, mini refrigerator, sink etc - then through the door to the bedroom itself which was sizable and had a decent bathroom. My biggest complaint is probably the shower's water pressure, but having vacationed throughout the Jersey Shore my entire life, that isn't an isolated complaint to this hotel. Last but not least, right across the parking lot (free parking at the Jersey Shore? ALWAYS a plus!) is The Rusty Nail; a great laid-back restaurant with delicious food and friendly service! We ate both dinner the night of our stay, and breakfast the morning after there, sitting outside with a view of the beach and the beautiful ocean breeze! I was sad we only had the one night, we would definitely stay there again!
1 night romance trip Sep 21, 2012
Lauren
Just what I needed. Had a very nice time.
1 night trip Sep 7, 2012

"Lazy Sunday Afternoon?"
Reggae beat played between 3 pm and 9 pm. The hotel owns a bar on the site open to all. The day we were there a reggae band played on the lawn outside on and off for 6 hours. The bass beat of reggae is particularly monotonous for this length of time. Had we known we would certainly booked somewhere else. The hotel was average, I certainly would not have given it the rating of previous guests even without the insistent beat.
1 night trip Oct 5, 2014
Hifigw
"Bolt hole by the sea"
The room was fairly basic but met our family's needs. The sofa bed was a bit sinky but our 4 year old seemed fine with it. The main things that made the motel great were the free lounger and umbrellas on the beach and hanging out eating dinner at the Rusty Nail which is part of the motel. The pub has open sand and a boat for the kids to play in plus good food, beer and a fire pit to hang out around after dark. The hotel also has a small pool which we didn't use with a shallow baby end sectioned off with railings from the main pool.
1 night family trip Sep 16, 2014
Nicky
"nice lounge chairs @ the beach with umbrella"
perfect place for families with kids or groups. They have a wonderful outside space with entertainment, chairs on the sand around a fire pit and an outside restaurant with pick nick tables. Right at the beach and close to the center.
3 night trip Jul 4, 2013
4 night trip Sep 1, 2012

TripAdvisor reviews for Beach Shack

"Awesome mini vacation!"
08/22/15 Melissa R Bangor, Pennsylvania
This hotel was fantastic. Very CLEAN. The beds were really comfortable and the bathroom was nice. It is right across the street from the beach which made it very convenient. I also loved that we didn't have to lug beach chairs and an umbrella because they have staff from the Beach Shack who ask you how many chairs and umbrellas you'll need and they set everything up for you on the beach! And it is free of charge, except their tip obviously. One night we at at the hotel's restaurant, The Rusty Nail. It was very yummy and they have live music playing. It was so relaxing and we had a great time. There is a fire pit in front of the hotel where you can go and hang out at night. We enjoyed that a lot. This place was fantastic and we will totally return in the future!
"Huge (and very expensive) disappointment, Congress Hall should disaffiliate with this property"
08/14/15 Laura C Arlington, Virginia
When selecting a hotel for my family's first beach vacation, I thought Cape May would be perfect. Before having kids, my husband and I spent time there, and had dinner at the Blue Pig. We fell in love with Congress Hall. I was excited to learn that Congress Hall had a sister property targeted towards families -- the Beach Shack. But we will absolutely not be returning. We spent five days at the Beach Shack, and couldn't be more disappointed. The hotel is an old motel with new paint job and nothing more. The rooms are dirty -- within minutes, the bottom of my 18 month olds' feet were black (why they couldn't mop in between guests stays is beyond me) The bathroom was so very old and had mold and a very gross drop ceiling. The air conditioning was ridiculously loud, it was next to impossible to get a full nights' sleep. The tv in the bedroom didn't work. Furniture was old and broken, mirrors cracked. The wifi never, ever worked -- and to boot there's no cell service anywhere, so you are in a virtual black hole if by chance you wanted to text grandparents photos of the kids or search weather reports. The pool is super old and lacking in any sort of character. The back of the hotel is a dumping ground for old equipment and trash, and is completely unfinished, yet they allow guests to park back there and see it all -- they didn't even bother to paint the back side of the hotel, which to me, speaks volumes about the management and upkeep of the Beach Shack: it's all just a facade. The smell of rotting garbage baking in the back wafts through the place and the Rusty Nail. There is no shower or foot wash for beachgoers -- there is something resembling it but it's back near the unsightly industrial washroom and blocked by cleaning supplies and carts, and other misplaced equipment. The only thing the place has going for it nice towels, sheets and beds, and the beach service. But this does not equate to $400 a night (with all the taxes included!) Don't be suckered the same way I was by the Congress Hall affiliation. These two properties have nothing in common. Do not stay at the Beach Shack, believe me, you can find something better, or at least less expensive for the same quality.
"60s motel with a fresh coat of paint"
08/05/15 whereaminow14 Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
First time to Cape May so perhaps my expectations were too high, but the Beach Shack is a 1960s era motel with some laminate wood floors and a fresh coat of paint. The bathroom was tiny and the fixtures were rusty. The kitchenette was a microwave and a mini fridge on a peeling laminate counter top. The window a/c unit was noisy and never shut off. The wifi was good and bad. It was free, but had lousy connection speed and was hard to get service in parts of the room. The beds were comfortable and the linens were nice as were the Aveda toiletries. The pool was very small and there was no hot tub. The onsite restaurant was disappointing but the scene was decent in the evening around the bonfire area. The price charged for what you got in return seemed out of line. I can only assume that you are paying for location.
"Perfect Summer Getaway!"
08/04/15 gymnastjenny09 Englewood, New Jersey
The Beach Shack was a great beach hotel. The location of the hotel is great, being across from the beach, close to town, and being in the center of Cape May. The hotel is attached to the Rusty Nail restaurant and bar that serves breakfast, lunch, and dinner and of course cocktails! The hotel is somewhat outdated but has been kept in good condition. The AC works great, the shower had good water pressure, newer carpets, newer TV's, very clean, and very comfortable beds and pillows. We were traveling with extended family ages ranging from 10 months to 65 years old. Everyone enjoyed the hotels convenience. The pool was also great especially for the kids. It's a small pool but still nice. The set up on the beach is great, having people from the hotel set up chairs, umbrellas, and towels. You can also order from the rusty nail restaurant and bar from the beach. Overall a great vacation!!! We will be back next year!
"Great location across the street from the beach"
08/03/15 ayla13 Jersey Shore, NJ
This is a nice hotel for a long weekend. The rooms are clean. We had 2 adjoining rooms each with 2 double beds, mini fridge, microwave, and extra sink. Not much in decor but it was fine. Pros: directly across the street from the beach, complimentary beach lounge chairs, towels, and umbrellas that they set up and take down, quiet at night, free parking, credit each day towards breakfast at The Rusty Nail, a pool, great after beach hangout spot at The Rusty Nail Cons: room was damp and smelled either musty or like they sprayed Febreeze to cover up the mustiness, I understand it's the beach but maybe instead of carpet install tile floors and add exhaust fans to the bathrooms as they don't have one. Very slow and spotty internet service, had to go outside most of the time to access the wifi and even then it was very very slow, cell service also spotty at the hotel, on the beach cell service was fine.
"Laid Back Fun at the Beach"
08/01/15 Zwid New York City, New York
I really liked the Beach Shack. Our room wasn't fancy, but it was super clean and the bed was comfy. Love that it's right on the beach and that you can walk to other Cape Resorts properties (Congress Hall for breakfast!) as well as the quaint outdoor pedestrian shopping area. Little details place it a cut above other motels: free bucket of beach toys for kids at check-in; food/drink service at the pool from the neighboring Rusty Nail; Aveda bath products in the room. Our toddler had a blast in the pool, and my hubs and I appreciated the beach service (complimentary towels, umbrellas, and chairs). We were not at all bothered by the noise level of the AC units in the room (as some other reviewers mentioned); I actually really loved the white noise. Our room was somewhat dark, even with the blinds open, but we didn't go to Cape May to hang out in the room! So - not a problem. My biggest problem was the fact that - even with the bells and whistles - it was still a tad expensive, because it IS still a motel. When I return to Cape May, I have to say I'll probably want to try Congress Hall, which seemed to have similar pricing and significantly nicer amenities (huge lawn, two pools, coffee shop...).
"Terrible experience. Bad Wifi and no cell phone service in room."
07/31/15 ShermanJones Haddonfield
I hate to write a bad review about this property since they are part of cape may resorts. I love the Star and congress Hall and have stayed there dozens on times over the past 3 years. However, The Beach Shack has major problems. When we arrived Tuesday for our two night visit Reception was pleaset and efficient. We were give two keys and pointed in the direction of our family deluxe with an ocean view. First problem, our room window and the seats outside our window were virtually blocked by a huge staircase. The staircase not only blocked our view but made our extra dark room extra creepy inside. The second and biggest problem, the wifi was virtually nonexistent. I tried walking around my room holding my laptop and I even paced our second floor walkway too but often zero service. I learned that the Beach Shack wifi is unpredictable at best and often does not work at all. Even worse, my phone had no service inside our room or on our chairs outside room. I called day 2 of our stay and spoke with beach shack Mgr to explain we need to move to a room that allows wifi and phone service. I was informed that no rooms were available and phone service is notoriously bad in Cape May. Since I'm a regular visitor, I know this was not true. I believe lack of of phone service was caused by our cave like room. BTW, My phone worked fine the year I have owned. It also worked on this entire trip expect in my room or on chair in front of room. In the end, we were supposed to stay 2 nights but that was not possible. We left the night before check out. Since there was no phone service, and I had several early morning business call coming in, we needed to leave and go home to a working phone service. I called Congrass Hall prior to departure and Spoke with Dana. He was professional and understanding. I was told I would received a call back from Congress MGR but I did not. I can't say I won't stay at any cape may resort properties but I can say I am disappointed in how I was treated this trip. My daughter and I are regular customers. i believe this was our 5 th stay this year this season. We always frequent the resorts restaurants, shops and pool offerings. As a regular return guest, we should not have been given the dungeon room, complete with 3 dead bugs on floor, a peeling bathroom door with a redish splatter that was not cleaned prior to our check in. Add in the inability to use my cell phone or wifi and you have very unhappy guests.
"very pleasant"
07/30/15 ReggieDowningtown Downingtown
My husband and I found the staff to be very nice. The location of the Beach Shack is great. Having the associated restaurant is so convenient. The beach service with the lounges, and umbrella, and towels set up as needed by the staff was worth a ton. The beds were very comfortable. We had the standard shack on the third floor and loved the view and the fact that this style room is open. We were just 2 people with 2 queen sized beds so the fact that the bathroom is modest was still fine. We had an extremely pleasant time. I had originally thought a second floor room would be better so I would not have to do 2 flights of stairs to the third floor, but the view from the third floor was wonderful and added a lot to the trip, so I recommend the third floor. We liked the pool side. Also consider the Hot dates/hot rates opportunity offered for certain midweek dates. Paying a lower price really cuts back on the thoughts of complaining about anything. It is really worth it.
"Beach Shack"
07/29/15 flop710 Colonia, New Jersey
I have to say this place was really nice. They are part of the Congress Hall and Star Motel. I didn't appreciate walking up 3 flights of stairs with luggage but found one of the workers to help us. The rooms where clean but some black mold on the mirror by the microwave was a bit nasty. It restaurant is the Rusty Nail burger wad good but very greasy. They have live music at night which was great to listen to even from your room and it was done at a certain time. Loved the fact all we had to do was cross the street to beach they set up chairs and umbrella. They come around with lunch menu which was great because you didn't have to pack one. The food was good and we received it in a timely matter. Definitely would recommend this hotel but next time will ask for 1st or 2nd floor.
"Clean room and great location"
07/26/15 Jenna H
We stayed here for the first time two weeks ago. The room was clean and the location was great. It's a big plus that they provide you with beach towels, lounge chairs and umbrella setup. They also offer lunch delivery on the beach from rusty nail, which is right next door to the hotel.