All hotels in San Francisco, California, United States of America
You can collect Hotels.com® Rewards nights here655 Ellis Street, San Francisco, CA, 94109, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

2.3
"Lovely hotel, sketchy neighborhood"
The hotel has a protected entryway next to a parking garage. There is a security guard during the day who is very personable and very effective in keeping the entrance pleasant and safe. All the staff (desk and room cleaners) are super friendly, knowledgeable, and very helpful. The room was spacious and very attractive, the bathroom well-appointed and towels and washcloths abundant. We especially liked being able to open the window for fresh air. Breakfast is served in the restaurant on the ground floor. It was stated to be continental, but included eggs, potatoes, fruit, ham, cheese, croissants, coffee, tea, and juice. Breakfast ended at 10:00 a.m. during the week. We liked this because we didn't feel rushed. A shuttle service is available at certain times of the day to areas most visitors would frequent. The only downside is that there are many homeless people on some of the surrounding streets and this made my daughter uncomfortable. We did not have any incidents and were not approached by anyone. I would definitely recommend this hotel.
3 night family trip Aug 31, 2014
Pam
"AVOID...terrible location!"
The hotel itself is fine....clean, friendly staff, comfortable enough. However, it is in a very sketchy area of town with homeless people lying in the street everywhere around it. We we 3 travel savvy adults and did not feel comfortable walking around the area. The area is not well served by public transportation. Do yourself a favor and stay in the Union Square or Fisherman's Wharf area.
Other trip Sep 5, 2014
One thing I wish the hotel offered to its guest is a small fridge.
2 night romance trip Aug 29, 2014
Melee
"Conveniently located"
Hotel staff were very friendly and I enjoyed my stay for three nights. Only negativity of this hotel is the location. The hotel is in the Tenderloin district and it is little uncomfortable to walk on the street in the evening.
Other trip Aug 30, 2014
Sammy
"Great Hotel and Service, Iffy location"
Hotel staff was incredibly helpful and accommodating and friendly. Rooms were comfortable and has a lovely roof deck. Location is convenient to the BART and other cool areas, but neighborhood itself feels a little uncomfortable to walk around in alone at night. Nothing particularly dangerous; just a large homeless population. We were fine, really pleased with our stay here due to the staff (who just go above and beyond to help with bags and reservations and transportation and accommodations, etc) and never had any problems.
2 night trip Jun 22, 2014
"Bad neighborhood and no AC"
While the room itself is fine with comfortable bed, the neighborhood is really bad. We didn't enjoy walking to and from Moscone center in the morning or at night. Definitely not a safe neighborhood for a girl to walk by herself at night, which was annoying in a way since some of us need to get back to the hotel at different times in the evening. Another confusing aspect is the room has NO AC. What hotel does not have AC?? While SF has cool, breezy weather most of the times, sometimes during the day I wish there was an AC in the room to keep it cool! Otherwise the staff was friendly, and the complimentary breakfast was pretty good.
5 night business trip Aug 9, 2014
Everything was very comfortable and convenient except location.
1 night business trip Aug 5, 2014
Nice hotel near/in the ghetto.
1 night trip Aug 5, 2014
i really enjoyed the stay but didn't like the neighborhood c to many homeless...
2 night romance trip Aug 3, 2014
Eloisa
"No A/C in my suite!"
Booked a one night stay very last minute. The hotel included a very nice breakfast. The valet parking is located on site. The hotel was very clean during my stay. I requested a double queen, but was offered a king suite, with one bed. They told me it was an upgrade. Over all a nice stay. The surrounding neighbor is noisy, so take earplugs. The hotel offers free shuttle service. For the price I paid for my stay I would normally expect an air conditioned room.
1 night trip Jul 30, 2014
Frederick
"Horrible service"
Overall, I had a horrible stay. I stayed with my friends for an overnight before we leave san francisco the next day. No free parking. Hotel is overall clean and nice but lack air ventilation. No a/c. One front desk staff was particularly rude and hostile. Other staff are helpful and nice.
1 night trip Jul 29, 2014
Friendly staff, nice clean hotel. Poor location in the tenderloin with homeless around leaving bad smells. Never really felt safe walking around the streets, even during the day
Other trip Aug 1, 2014
"Nice Hotel in a bad area"
I left early. The hotel was nice, the room was fine. The surrounding area was filled with people that made us feel VERY unsafe. We would NOT walk even 1 block away and it was before 10pm. I have been to 9 countries and 4 continents and all 50 states. I am not jumpy by any means. That was a bad unsafe area at night.
2 night trip Jul 24, 2014
"Convenience"
Parking right next to hotel, very clean and comfortable rooms. Friendly helpful staff.
Other trip Jul 29, 2014
Got to the room and it was very stuffy. no A/C in room had to open window which made it very noisey traffic etc. had to pay $27.00 for parking for one night. Feel that we over paid for the room more like a $85.00 room. how ever would stay their again because of location.
1 night trip Jul 25, 2014
Michael Donahoe
"great hotel"
Fantastic stay, however there was no airconditioning which made it a bit uncomfortable. Other than that it was pleasant enough.
1 night family trip Jul 25, 2014
"Good hotel in dowtown SF."
Very good stay for the price. Good room, very comfy and nice location in dowtown close to city hall (couple blocks only from public transportation of all sort - tram, cable car, buses, etc...). Would have rated it 5 star all around if we didnt had a room next to the laundry (waking up to the sound of washer/dryer through the wall was unexpected). But I guess that was just bad luck.
Other trip Jul 26, 2014
Adrien
"Decent hotel in a not so decent part of town"
it was my first trip to the City so I was not familiar with the different parts of town. As I walked from the Amtrak bus stop in the shopping district to COVA hotel, I quickly gathered that this was not the best part of town to be cruising around at 11pm. It's very sketchy but no one bothered me. Wearing headphones and not making eye contact is the key. Now, don't get me wrong, I grew up in "the hood" and I currently work in South LA...but that still doesn't make the Tenderloin any more appealing or generate a sense of safety :-) Now, the hotel itself is nice looking on the outside and also inside. The room was much smaller than I expected, no dresser or mini fridge. 80% of the cable channels were fuzzy. I didn't go to SF to hang out in my hotel room all day, but it would have been nice to come back to a more accommodating room after a long day of tourist sightseeing. But all in all, compared to the price of other hotels in the downtown area, COVA was decent and I would probably stay there again. Hopefully they will get better cable service and upgrade their wifi network. The front desk help was superb!!! Very welcoming and professional!!!
3 night trip Jul 14, 2014
"Free upgrade to a room with a beautiful view!"
We started in a nice room but literally no view & not what I had imagined from the website. The staff was very accommodating with a free upgrade to a room with an amazing view. It made our stay so much more enjoyable!
Other trip Jul 21, 2014
"Loved It!!"
Awesome service and conveniently located to everything. Valet parking was inexpensive compared to other hotels and they always had our car waiting for us. We stayed in a King suite and loved everything about it. Would definitely stay here again!
3 night trip Jul 16, 2014
Jose
"Hotel Parking Lot"
The hotel's parking lot, I had to pay each time I would take my vechicle out so I could take my family site seen. I ended paying for the two days that I stay close to one hundred and twenty dollars ($120.00).
Other trip Jul 20, 2014
Lopez
"overall good hotel. ."
Good hotel...Breakfast is good just hate the price of parking..overall I would recommend and would stay there again
2 night trip Jul 4, 2014
"Expected a little more"
Over all the room was ok. I was a little disappointed with the stains in the carpet and scuff marks on the bare walls. The beds and linen were very clean so I compromised with my disappointments. I do have to compliment them on their staff they were very helpful and friendly. At check in Latoya was very helpful and informative and was refreshing to see such customer service still existed. We also had breakfast with them 2 mornings and everything was fresh.
2 night family trip Jul 1, 2014
DW
"Nice hotel with wonderful staff!"
We arrived early and since we had reservations to do a SF bus tour, the front desk agreed to hold our luggage until later that evening. Our 2 night stay went perfectly...can't say enough about the front desk staff...very helpful, informative, and accommodating. The check-in/check-out process went smoothly.
Other trip Jun 15, 2014
Stayed there for 6 days with my gf. The hotel itself is grate but like have been state before it's in the middle of Tenderloin neighbourhood. The first morning we walked from the hotel to the union square on Ellis street and it was a bit scary. Going to the union square is best to turn left at Hyde st and then right on O'farrel st then you are not walking in the Tenderloin, or at least the neighbourhood is much better there and much more comfortable walking there after dark. The stay at the hotel was nice, quite room, the breakfast get boring after the second time but it's better than not having it.
Other trip Jun 12, 2014
"nice spot"
Only one complaint, the valet parking is an unannounced charge. Everything else for a Tenderloin hotel is very mce especially the rooftop lounge
2 night trip May 29, 2014
williamson
"Ok but won't stay again"
The location was on a terrible neighborhood. Right in the tenderloin on the 3rd worst street in San Francisco. The shuttle was nice but I love to walk the city and I would not dare to walk these streets. We watched drug dealers and prostitutes from our window. My 16 year old son said he was afraid to stand in the window cause he felt unsafe.
Other trip May 26, 2014
"Bay to Breakers"
The staff were very accommodating. We got there at 10:30 and they checked out bags in with no problem. They gave us a map of the area and which places may not be the most pleasing. Always were able to answer questions. We got back late from the run and they were so nice about it. The restaurant was amazing. The parking attendants were pleasant. Although still comfortable, the rooms didn't look anything like the pictures and the view was of the scaffolding. I would defiantly think about staying here again.
Other trip May 24, 2014
Gail
"Don't be fooled by pictures on web."
This hotel did NOT have Air Conditioning. We are living in the 20 century and NO AC! The pictures of this hotel on the web showed a nice modern décor but once you get there it is not as advertised. Buyer Beware!
Other trip May 17, 2014
Preston
"Nice hotel and good customer service."
The hotel was pleasant and clean. The staff was helpful and enjoyed the complimentary breakfast. However, the location is in a very bad area. At night it is very unsafe with many homeless people and awful smell. I would recommend using the complimentary shuttle service or stay at a different hotel.
Other trip May 12, 2014
"No Parking"
The only bad thing about this hotel was the fact that we had to pay for parking with a third party. We spent around $60 for two nights, which isn't too awful but I was expecting to not have to pay anything. They did offer a complimentary shuttle service to Pier 39 however, which was very helpful and convenient. Overall a great hotel, very clean and the service was wonderful but the area it's in isn't the nicest and the parking was annoying.
2 night romance trip May 2, 2014
Christine
"Great stay, iffy hood."
Love SF. Great stay, included continental breakfast which was nice. Very Euro in that way. The neighborhood is in bad shape but only blocks away from the rest. Would go back on a heartbeat.
1 night trip Apr 30, 2014
Ben S
"Nice hotel. Very clean and the room was huge."
Overall really good hotel. Not my favorite area but everything is so close in SF. I would stay here again.
Other trip May 1, 2014
Asked for extra blankets, and none showed up. Bad service.
1 night family trip Apr 24, 2014
"Hotel close enough the Bay."
Hotel is nice, clean, and affordable. It's secure and it's a nice place to stay for a night or two. I enjoyed staying at this hotel. The breakfast was awesome and the service was fast.
Other trip Apr 17, 2014
It was a nice hotel and the staff was great. The complimentary breakfast was good. The room was comfortable and clean. It's close to Union Square and all the shopping, but the area in between isn't the greatest. We took cabs to and from what we were doing so we didn't have to walk which added a little to money spent, but that was ok.. We enjoyed our stay there and would do it again.
Other trip Apr 17, 2014
Todd
"Cozy hotel w/ horrible parking"
The hotel was very small in size but very clean. My biggest complaint would be their parking. The hotel does not have "hotel parking" for their guest. There is an outside vendor within the lot of the hotel where you can pay for parking (it's normal to pay in the city). My problem with that is even though you are a guest at the hotel you are not guarenteed a parking spot since people who are not staying with the hotel are able to use the lot.
Other trip Apr 14, 2014
Renee
"Convenient location"
Very clean, modern rooms. Staff was excellent. Bed very comfortable. Would like to have had a microwave in room and small refrigerator also box of facial tissues would be appreciated. Complimentary breakfast was ok but no choices.
Other trip Apr 10, 2014
"Great hotel for price!"
Had a great stay at cova! I was able to check in early, which was a necessity for us! Friendly!!! Parking is reasonable for the city of San Francisco! Complimentary breakfast was decent, can't complain, it was free! Defintely would stay again!
Other trip Apr 10, 2014
Clint
"Not bad"
The terrace is worth the hotel loved going at night. Little things wrong with the hotel but good over all. There's no parking so you have to go to a garage downstairs It is in the ghetto but I drove so didn't have an issue with it. 24 bucks a night parking
Other trip Mar 25, 2014
"Google Tenderloin before booking. 2 stars at best."
I was not happy at all with this booking. I sent several emails and called Expedia about their rating system actually. This hotel is located in the Tenderloin district. If you have any intentions of walking about in the evening, don't book here. The staff are friendly but the hotel is - at best - 2 stars. The furniture is very IKEA-like, our bathtub drained extremely slowly, the sink (while updated) was cracked... but most of all, there is no A/C. You get an oscillating fan that didn't oscillate well. There is a shuttle to get you out of the neighborhood but have to book it, at least, a couple of hours in advance. If you want spontaneity then plan on getting cabs and MUNI when you can. Very disappointed with Expedia on this one. I even started polling the cabbies and locals about what they'd pay for a hotel in the area, I think the highest bidder was about $65. All were shocked about the $100+ power night that we were paying. Save yourself some headaches and grief by just paying the extra $50 or 60/night that you'll end up paying in cab/bus fare anyways. If you're coming to San Fran with a bunch of dudes then this might be fine because someone has someone else's back. But, if you're bringing your girl, spouse or worse family...bad idea. My wife had a hard time sleeping with all the bottle bashing, wino fights and the occasional screaming for help. Not good, lol! and you've been warned. We're from Detroit so we've seen rough spots. While not the roughest, don't pay +$65
Other trip Mar 23, 2014
Angry Joe
"Poor customer service"
I booked a double bed room at Cova hotel, SF thru hotels.com and reservation said we will have a city view room. "This room includes 2 double beds with premium bedding and a balcony with city views." When we checked in around 3:30pm. We got a room in 2nd floor. Later, we found out outside of the window is construction racks. We talked to front desk, they didn't have any other city view room available. I think the customer service guy intentionally gave us this room because we are Asian foreigners. Also there are only 3 shower towels. I called two times to front desk asking for 1 more towel due to 4 guests. But no response for over 30 minutes. I had to go down to front desk to ask for it. I don't recommend this hotel unless they can improve their customer service. Room and other facility are below expectation for this price. Parking fee is $27 for 24 hours.
1 night family trip Mar 19, 2014
TC
"Decent hotel in the city"
Staff was awesome. Free breakfast was good. Facilities were average but clean.
Other trip Mar 22, 2014
"Decent, clean, but noisy"
The hotel had a nice appearance and was generally clean. What I would term a basic hotel. However, the place was terribly noisy - there was basically no soundproofing between my room and the next, so I could hear them as they played guitar and talked late into the night, and I especially got to enjoy listening to my neighbors tinkling in the bathroom (joy). As other reviewers have stated, there are quite a few homeless people around. I in no way thought them to be a safety issue (although I wouldn't want to stay here with kids), but the main issue was again with noise - in the rooms I could hear lots of outdoor activity, and between multiple nightly police sirens and ongoing exclamations at loud volume from the street inhabitants until quite late, don't plan to stay here without earplugs if you're at all a light sleeper because of noise. Overall, you might pick this place based on price. I wouldn't necessarily pick this place for any special amenities and would recommend against if noise is an issue. Also, the options for nearby eating were somewhat limited and are strongly biased toward Asian food (for good or ill - up to you).
Other trip Mar 20, 2014
Great room and staff was very helpful throughout the stay!
Other trip Mar 17, 2014
People will complain about this hotel because of the location and the noise... It is in a sketchy location, but I certainly knew that before booking, and am still very happy with my experience. Also, the hotel is older so the noise is increased. You can hear your neighbors, especially where the door opens to form a suite. But overall this was a great value. I pan on staying here again.
Other trip Mar 15, 2014
It may be located what others consider a bad area causethere is a soup kitchen around.. We walked to Union Sqr from there no problem. Hotel provides transportation if you do not wanna walk but it is secure area. I am from Manhattan and travel the world. Homeless are everywhere. Plus they are cleaning the area. but it is great.. Service amazing.. bkfast superb.. rooms clean and comfortable.. Staff at restaurant amazing day and night.. Great Wine selections...Take the Time to talk to employees, great selection of workers..
Other trip Mar 14, 2014
I was in San Francisco for the first time in vacations. A very nice trip and a beautiful city. The hotel was good and quiet, good breakfast. One detail, the neighborhood is with a lot of homeless, all the street of ellis street, they are not dangerous.
Other trip Mar 13, 2014
"San Francisco Vacation"
Our stay at the Cova Hotel was a very pleasant experience, the hotel is very much like a boutique hotel, nice, clean, great personalized service, the rooms were good size, clean with all the amenities, breakfast included and the staff very attentive and always ready to assist, specially Lorencito who took extra great care of us gave us excellent suggestions for dining and entertainment, made sure we had our transportation ready. The complimentary shuttle bus to union square and fisherman's wharf very convenient. We will definitely recommend it and use it again on our next trip. Paul, Mercedes and Theresa
Other trip Mar 9, 2014
Theresa
"Bad neighborhood."
The hotel itself was adequate, but walking to Union Square you have to pass some of the Tenderloins worst homeless areas. The hotel does have a shuttle, but I prefer to walk when I go into the city. Next time I will select a hotel closer to Union Square.
1 night trip Feb 22, 2014