All hotels in Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, Mexico
Avenida Xaman-ha, Manzana 3, Lote 1, Condominio Playacar, Playa del Carmen, QROO, 77710, Mexico, ‏‎800-491-6126

Delicious food
    Clean
  • Wellness
    Sufficient wellness & sports facilities
"Not that thrilled."
The bar tenders were good, but the food was ho hum. We had a little trouble getting into our room as it was not ready at 3:00.
5 night trip with friends Dec 5, 2015
"big disapointment, many issues"
so many issues with this place: tv had around 10 non-HD channels, 2 or 3 in English, no kids programming alcohol/drinks were terrible, gross shower was small, cramped AC,didn't work well 2 of 3 nights (thermostat doesn't actually control temp in rooms) room was hot and humid. electricity was out around 7 hours one day couldn't use 3 of the other 4 Riu nearby resorts. few electrical outlets, outlet in bathroom coming out of wall socket. two nightstands on one side of bed, none on other side of bed. slippery tiles around pools, many slick areas around resort. hot tub wasn't heated. reservation for Asian restaurant was require even though it's a buffet. far below the quality of the other Mexican all-inclusive resorts we've visited we still had a good time, beach is nice, 2 pools are good, buffet had great food, but too many issues to recommend this place
3 night family trip Nov 22, 2015
"Beautiful beach and grounds"
This Hotel is not one of the top Riu hotels, the rooms were clean and the beach area was beautiful . The algae problem that was present in Mexico beaches few months ago it's gone so the ocean is again blue and transparent. I have a problem with my room , we were four adults and I booked a suite with two queen beds, instead I got a suite with 1 king bed and a single bed ,after calling the front desk they told me that the hotel was sold out and they didn't have any rooms, I ask for the manager and he explain to me that they can move us to another room the following day,but in the mean time we were missing one bed so they add another single bed to our room.I shouldn't have to go through all the complaining I like to have were I pay for. The hotel has three floor levels and doesn't have elevators, I usually don't care about this but I had an injury in my knee few months ago and this was very inconvenient for me. The food quality in my opinion is average nothing fancy, not many restaurants to choose from, we try the Italian and didn't like it that much so we finish eaten most of the time at the buffet because there were more food choices there.they only place open late is the bar at the lobby and everybody is smoking there. If you arrive late to the hotel after 10pm there is not place to have a meal nothing is open. People was very friendly.
Other trip Oct 11, 2015
Ceci
"Great value nice location"
Food was great, hotel was clean, facilities were nice. Location to everything was great. Workers were nice and friendly. Rooms were clean but a little loud. It seemed like the doors slammed so hard when closing, you could hear Everyone in the building close their doors which was the only bad part.
Other trip Oct 5, 2015
tim
"Trip"
It as a nice hotel. We had some issues at check in.
7 night family trip Sep 6, 2015
Jeffrey
"Beachfront-Great location-Excellent service!!"
After reading many reviews about Riu Yucatan, I decided to book our trip here. The rooms were clean and well stocked with cold drinks in the refrigerator. The buffet had many choices to choose from and the a la carte restaurants were worth getting up at 7am to book. The white sand beach was beautiful but there were days the seaweed was very bad. They tried to clean up daily and haul away. The last day we were there, the water was an amazing 4 shades of blue, made for a picture perfect moment. We booked a Cozumel snorkeling trip with H20 Cozumel which I highly recommend. I never understood visitors who choose to stay every day at the resort and don't like to experience what the country has to offer. Drinking all day in the pool bar area is just plain GROSS! You won;t be disappointed with this hotel; the service was exceptional!!! We enjoyed the Michael Jackson show and the Mariachis. It was a great vacation all in all!
Other trip Aug 15, 2015
Sue
"Good but not great"
We booked this resort because it was one of the few that allowed more than 2 adults in a room together. Starting with the good stuff: We booked a suite, and it was wonderful--plenty of room for all of us and our stuff. The resort itself is beautiful, as is the beach. The staff are all very friendly and work very hard. The bad stuff: Our expectations weren't high, but the food was still disappointing. Everything needed salt and hot sauce. The drinks were very weak, and by the end we were ordering an extra shot with all of our cocktails.
4 night trip with friends Jul 30, 2015
Lindsey
"Worse experience"
I've stayed at several RIU's in the past and have always had a good experience which is why I decided to stay at a RIU for my vacation in Playa del Carmen. There are several RIU's in playa, some of which are less expensive than RIU Yucatan but we decided to stay this hotel because it was recently renovated and its located on the beach. As soon as I walked into the Lobby I was disappointed with look. It just doesn't feel like you're at a hotel in Mexico. But anyway, I wish that would've been the only issue. So we got there early around 8am and checked in. The room we we're given looked like a run down motel, it was dirty, the furniture was worn out, there were bug stains on the walls and I just didn't want to stay there at all after that. So I complained to the staff at the lobby and they took me to 3 different rooms to see if I liked any of them, and they all looked the same. I wanted to speak to a Manager and one of the staff members there did call the Manager but as soon as he showed up another guy said something to him and he left. I couldn't even speak to the manager! I spent several hours at the lobby trying to see if they could move me to a better room or to a different hotel, but they said I had no other choice but to stay. They finally got me a different room that was cleaner but the room was still ugly, nothing like any of the other RIU's I've stayed at. Other issues include rude staff, horrible drinks at the bars, dirty pool.
Other trip Jul 30, 2015
Isela
"It was great having an all inclusive plan."
My niece from Canada had a nice wedding & reception on the beach. 45 people flew in from Canada and US. Ocean water was great for swimming
Other trip Jul 29, 2015
"First Line beach Hotel"
Overall was great. Blankets kept into the closet too dusty, they looked that never had been into the washer. 90% of all jetsky movements are for non-tourist reasons. Every time a jetsky cross by from one side to another you have the Noise and the Gasoline Smell around the beach, and the worst part is that it is used most of the time for non tourist people, only to move worker form one side to another at max speed. The beach is flooded of seeweeds, the first 15 feets are totally mixed with seedweds, water color is brown. The hotel view is very nice, the staff attention is very efficient, they work all day to keep every thing clean, good service.
Other trip Jul 19, 2015
JB
"Horrible experience."
I have stayed in many RIU hotels in the past Including one of my stays being my sisters wedding about 5 years ago. That being a great experience at the RIU Santa Fe in Cabo. Yet this is by far the worse hotel I have ever stayed in. The rooms were extremely dirty and the furniture seemed old and worn out. Not only were the rooms nothing like the pictures or what we expected the staff in this RIU is nothing like I have ever experienced. When we wanted to share our concerns to the manager he was nowhere in sight. Although this is not the cheaper RIU hotel in playa del Carmen it sure felt that way. We decided to visit RIU tequila across the street and it was night in day the service was amazing and the staff was extremely accommodating. I cannot speak for their rooms but the service was like the RIU's I have experienced. We thought paying for a more expensive RIU would benefit our stay yet we were wrong. I do not recommend this hotel. What I do recommend is the RIU Palace Mexico the service was great, the food, and rooms were very clean.
Other trip Jul 13, 2015
Lizette
"great time"
This was our 5th time at the RIU Yucatan. We love bartenders Noemi and Cruz they have been working at the resort for more than 8 years. Waiter Victor always had our drinks and anything we asked for at our table for dinner. The only negative was the few people that got too drunk at the pool bar. The beach and grounds were beautiful as always. We can't wait for our 6th stay at the Yucatan. we had our 18 and 21 yr old children and 1 of their girlfriends on the trip and everyone had a fantastic time.
Other trip Jul 8, 2015
loved the hotel very friendly staff the room we had was very quiet location the beach was beautiful and a lot of things to do and lots of lounge chairs on the beach
Other trip Jul 5, 2015
"Save Your Time And Money ... Stay Way"
I was really disappointed about this hotel.. First , our room was given to us 1 1/2 hr late , second the luggage arrive late as well .. There's no communication btw employees ... The fan made a horrible noise all the time which made us not able to sleep well, I don't believe they have Working AC's in the rooms .. Also there's absolutely nothing going on at night, no music , no entertainment , mediocre shows once in a while so plan in going to 5 Ave if you want some fun at night... The bar is a disaster , I couldnt get 1 good drink during my vacation , everything is water down ( what a waiste of money in All inclusive ) the best liquor you could get is captain Morgan (which didnt even taste like captain Morgan to be honest) The food was decent nothing special ..don't even waiste your time making reservations for the restaurants are night , they are not good... The only decent restaurant was the one in the lobby of the hotel ... The beach was also horrible !!! Not clean at all .. And let's not even mention the pool!!! It was plain gross!!!!!!food and staff all over the edges ... This hotel has the potential of been great but you can tell nobody cares ..I been to Cancun several times and wanted to give Riu ( playa del Carmen) a chance but what a big disappointment... I
Other trip Jun 28, 2015
i work in hospi
Great Hotel! My family loved it. Great food and beach.
Other trip Jun 20, 2015
"Nice modern resort wth excellent staff!"
We very much enjoyed our stay at Riu Yucatan! The resort is very modern and nice, the staff are always going above and beyond! We loved it.
Other trip Jun 6, 2015
had a special request and it was ignored because the hotel staff decided it was a mistake
Other trip May 22, 2015
"Very nice and clean hotel"
Great place to get away and my wife and i pan to come back again next year!
Other trip May 18, 2015
Gino
Hotel needs a facelift...True... but, vacationers don't go there to just sit inside.. The Beach was Awesome !!... Absolutely Breathtaking.. This is a place to relax and soak it in !
Other trip May 4, 2015
"Perfect getaway"
We loved our trip to RIU Yucatan. The staff was so friendly and professional. They were great entertainers and focused a lot on keeping the grounds clean.
Other trip Apr 21, 2015
Maddy
"Wonderful stay!"
We just returned from Riu Yucatan, our second visit, and we were very happy with our stay. There was so much seaweed washed up on the shore this year all along the coast, much more than the last 5 years we have been there, but the Riu resorts were much more diligent cleaning it up than the other resorts. Kudos to the workers cleaning! We enjoyed everything about our stay, the food, the beach and the staff, can't say enough good about the staff, so friendly. We enjoy being able to walk for a mile along the beach. We had stayed at a resort not next door to other resorts and were only able to walk as far as the resort had cleaned the beach. This was another reason we like to stay in Playacar. And we were able to walk into town. A little far if you don't like walking but we enjoyed it. We will definitely return next year!
Other trip Mar 31, 2015
Bob and LeeAnn
"My perfect beach!"
This is no reflection on the area or the hotel in anyway, but this is the earliest we have ever gone to this area in Riviera Maya and my beautiful beach was drenched with seaweed. I usually can't wait to get into this crystal aqua blue water but this year we learned that often in March for about 2 weeks although not predictable which 2 weeks, you might be subject to this seaweed permeating the the tides and beach.....so disappointing for me. We normally travel here in April have never seen this. Sooooooooo despite the fact that late April is getting to be already a little too hot for my husband, I'm sure to book a little later in March closer to April.
Other trip Mar 8, 2015
C
"Excellent Staff"
Enjoyed our stay at the Riu Yucatan, especially the pool and beach area. Plenty of bars , the service and drinks were excellent. The recently updated rooms were fresh and clean. The restaurants offered endless options . We ate mainly at the buffets. Enjoyed a big breakfast, snacks or nachos for lunch and back to the dinner buffet at night. The only negative, was our room was located really close to the outdoor stage and some of the music was a little loud at night.
Other trip Mar 7, 2015
"Beautiful pool area with view of the beach!"
Had a very relaxing stay! The view of the sea from the pool area was awesome! Food was great and the staff very friendly. The rooms, however, need updating and do not have very nice views.
Other trip Mar 4, 2015
"Food not that great"
They need more food variety. Also it is impossible to make reservations for the two restaurants they have.
Other trip Feb 17, 2015
"OK"
I would have liked to been closer to the beach, you would think booking 4 months in advance I could have this. The food was very good, to much of a hassle to get reseravations at the other resturants so we only did the Buffets. Very nice beach and plenty of walking trails.
Other trip Jan 29, 2015
Greg
"Entertainment staff amazing"
King size beds horrible(2 beds pushed together) Food great.
Other trip Jan 21, 2015
tina
"Wonderful Experience"
My husband and I went to RIU for our one year anniversary. We loved it! The food was great and there were plenty of choices. The staff is quick and will get you anything you need as fast as they can. The swim up bar was our favorite place the hang out during the day. No the resort is not a 5 star resort but it is excellent for the price! Our room was clean. Everyday we had a new towel animal left on our bed. If your extremely picky I wouldn't choose this resort. If your looking for a clean resort, fast staff, good food, awesome pools, and a excellent time i would choose this resort!
Other trip Jan 6, 2015
"Riu Yucatan Dec 2014"
Dirty room (dead bugs every day), very old furnishings. Food was bad, everything was salty and overcooked. Choices were wide-ranging but food quality was low, and fair at best. Staff was very accommodating however, and were very helpful. Was very annoying to have to reserve themed dinner restaurants every night. Central location to everything, very close to Playa del Carmen downtown area. Hotel also right on beach, which is very nice and convenient. Beach accessibility is the top feature of the hotel.
Other trip Dec 29, 2014
Ray
"Newly renovated"
Food, staff, location, variety : good Front desk check in manager: rude 1st room dirty. 2nd room better but bed is horrible. They won't let you upgrade to suites after you realize the poor quality of the room even if you want to pay. If you could take room out of the equation it was good. That room wasn't the place to decompress after a long day. Experienced Mexico travelers stay away, people in early mid twenties not the place. Very family orientated and mellow.
Other trip Dec 26, 2014
ashley
"4.3 out of 5"
Great beach, pool and staff. Food was dry, blah buffet food. Excellent service with room issue. Rooms were average, no ocean views at all though. Quick walk to Starbucks and Playacar shopping area. About 30ish minute walk to 5th Avenue.
Other trip Dec 25, 2014
Tina
"Beach access was great, hotel was too modern."
Hotel was good, the food was great alot to choose from. Hotel staff was excellent. The hotel was too modern for our likings, but it was very nice. We visited the Tequila across the street that was more of a Mexican feel. Overall a great hotel chain though and will definitely stay again.
Other trip Dec 12, 2014
"Awesome hotel for our awesome vacation"
Accommodating staff, very tourist friendly! Lots of food options, good drinks.. great pools and even better beach!
Other trip Dec 11, 2014
sam
Overall a wonderful stay!!! Staff was friendly and fun. Food and drinks were excellent, beach and pools were clean warm and fun. There was always fun entertaining things to do day or night. We had a few minor issues with our room but nothing the staff didn't handle quickly. We would absolutely return to the Yucatan.
Other trip Dec 9, 2014
Very nice hotel, great staff. Restaurants and bars are wonderful. Close to the beach and easy to get into the town.
"Beautiful beach"
Beautiful location and beach. Nice grounds were kept clean
susie
"Tacky"
They must have been high when they did interior design of lobby and main reastaurant. Actually quite disturbing trying to eat amongst all that gaudiness. We wondered if it might have been worth having stayed across street where motiff was 1000% more appropriate
"Great scene"
Excellent staff Excellent food Clean rooms Best views in Playa
Other trip Nov 4, 2014
small business
"Fantastic!"
I had a wonderful time at Riu Yucatan. The service is top notch, all requests are taken care of promptly with a smile. The food was delicious--plenty of options catering to a variety of tastes. The buffet featured a different world cuisine every night. Gorgeous fruit carvings displayed at the salad bar; great beverage service at breakfast and dinner. Clean, bright and comfortable rooms provide a complimentary room safe, minibar, iron and large umbrella. The swim up bar overlooks a pristine white beach with swaying palm trees and crystal clear Caribbean waters. The pool is massive and comes with plenty of loungers to accommodate extra guests. Riu Yucatan is a popular hangout for guests of the Riu Tequila across the street. I can't wait to return!
Other trip Oct 30, 2014
Polly
"Nice, on a great beach."
Didn't like that when it rains u have to walk with an umbrella to the lobby and restaurants. The hall ways r TOO WHITE, they need to be painted. The food was good, the drinks were so so.
Other trip Oct 29, 2014
"Maybe a three star"
Reception staff is nice. The rest rude they won't do anything to make your stay pleasant. Room is clean, common areas too The food is average , drinks are ok
Other trip Oct 27, 2014
"Huge Resort On The Beach"
Overall Riu Yucatan was a great time. The place is very big and there are lots of people. The food was OK. The breakfast buffet was large and very good and the dinners were good, but nothing to rave about. The food we ate outside of the resort at restaurants was much better, but we expected that. The staff were absolutely amazing, no complaints at all there. There was always someone there to answer any questions or help you with anything. Overall I would recommend it, but make sure you leave and explore a little as that was what made our trip better.
Other trip Oct 25, 2014
Cory
"Great place"
We loved our stay here for the week. The pools are great. Food is ok too although speciality restaurants aren't that great. Staff is amazing and very friendly. Very clean. Close to playa del Carmen in taxi. Excellent for couples and families.
Other trip Oct 13, 2014
Good lots food lots drinking it is fun I love it from the first day to the last
Other trip Oct 7, 2014
"one of the best hotels i've stayed"
i love this hotel, i stayed at this hotel for 5 nights and it was great. food was ok... but overall i like it employees are very helpful.,
Other trip Sep 19, 2014
Enrike
"A lot of potential"
Good location, ok hotel bathrooms terrible clear glass door on the shower and no door on the bathroom not privacy at all food ok internet really bad even when you pay 15 dollars for the daily internet it works only on the room or the main restaurant so is not worth it, the reservations for the restaurants have to be made between 7-10 in the morning every day but it is a line to get one and is very hard to get one the food on the buffet is above average but after you finish eating you better take a shower because your clothing smell like you where cooking. They said they are a 5 star hotel definitely they are not front desk personal not too friendly swim up bar at the pool is just disgusting. One more thing if you planning on visiting this hotel bring lots of repellent there is a lot of mosquitos
3 night trip with friends Sep 14, 2014
"very nice hotel, clean, excellent food, shows."
since the time we arrived the hotel we received a friendly welcome from Rosario the recepcionist and she gave us a welcome cocktail, the chefs, the food, the live shows evert night were excellent and very professionals, the hotel has its own beach and activities during the day, you also can use the other Riu for eating, swimming, dancing and to see the shows. I highly recommend this hotel, its very modern and all tge staff is very friendly.
Other trip Sep 13, 2014
Lily
"Great beach, good food would stay here again"
Was impressed with food and staff, room was nice but not great--little heavy on the pine sol but was very clean. One of better all inclusives I have visited. Pool area was just ok, liked being able to go to other Riu hotels nearby.
Other trip Sep 11, 2014
Wayne
"right on the beach"
The stay was very nice. Our room was located very close to the beach and pools. Everyone seemed very friendly from staff to guests.
Other trip Sep 8, 2014
Sue
"Great hotel! Wonderful staff! Loved it!!!"
We had the best time in the world. The riu yucatan was very clean, nice, and a wonderful place to stay. The staff was fantastic and very accommodating. They always had a smile on their faces, and were always ready to help whenever they could. The hotel was extremely clean and we never had a problem with anything.
Other trip Aug 26, 2014