All hotels in Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
19-21 George Street, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH2 2PB, United Kingdom, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Accommodating, convenient & comfortable"
We didn't spend a lot of time in the hotel because we were mostly out exploring. However, the room was clean & comfortable, and the staff were incredibly friendly and accommodating at our very early arrival (took the sleeper train from London & arrived at 7:30am), and stowed our luggage while we went out on a tour of the Highlands & a distillery. My only suggestion would be to request a room away from the elevator & especially stairs, as we were on the 2nd floor, adjacent to the stairwell - and the door banged open & shut often.
2 night family trip Apr 9, 2014
A. Watson
Beautiful, old hotel full of charm and elegance. Breakfast was wonderful. Great location, close to castle and Royal Mile. Very friendly people!
2 night trip Mar 22, 2014
Caroline
"Nice hotel-Good Location"
The hotel staff were friendly and the concierge was helpful in suggesting places to see and restaurants to go to. The bar was very noisy and it was impossible to be served. I would not recommend the bar for a drink. The rooms were fine, but the bathroom was very small. For the price, this was an OK hotel, but not great.
2 night family trip Mar 21, 2014
"Perfect"
Love the location and the hotel. The room was comfortable and quiet- comfy bed, linens and great sqeeky clean bathroom. Very helpful staff and delicious breakfast. Giuseppe is an excellent server. The George is obviously going the extra mile for its guests.
1 night business trip Jan 30, 2014
"Close to the Action"
The Hotel was exactly what it claimed. No surprises other than the number of people who were in Edinburgh the Friday before Christmas.
2 night family trip Dec 20, 2013
Patersons
"Beautiful hotel in the center of the city"
A warm and comfortable hotel right on George street, which is one of the best places to be. We had a lovely large room with a new bathroom, recently remodeled. The staff was great and we really enjoyed our stay.
Other trip Jan 6, 2014
Great location......could not ask for better staff!
1 night trip Nov 6, 2013
jgp
"We will return to the George Hotel !!!"
From the moment we walked in the front door the staff was so warm and friendly and wanting to do what ever they could to make our stay GREAT, and they did. An old looking building with charm that blended into the city with a perfect location with walking distance to every thing, but the rooms were large, spacious, very clean and so nice with all the modern touches of a great hotel. We spent 10 days traveling U.K. and Ireland and by far the best hotel we stayed at!!! We will be going back and staying at the George Hotel I can guarantee you.
1 night family trip Oct 27, 2013
Marilyn
"Great hotel in the middle of the city!"
This is a very nice hotel, located right in the middle of the city with excellent access to many restaurants and pubs. Very nice building, modern rooms, great staff.
1 night business trip Sep 15, 2013
"Wonderful Week at the George Hotel"
My wife and I truly enjoyed our eight days in Edinburgh, staying at the George Hotel. Check-in was perfect. We arrived earlier than the normal check in time. No problem. They had a room for us immediately. I asked for a quiet, restful room. We got it. The Room was perfect. The desk clerk was correct. The room is spacious and spotless. It is quiet, and it has a large bathroom. The shower was strong and hot. The air conditioning worked flawlessly. Even with the window open, there was no street noise. Breakfast at the George is as good as it gets. The array of food covered three large tables: eggs, ham, sausage, Scottish specialties, lots of fruit, a half dozen different juices, a variety of breads, rolls and cereals. If that doesn't suit you, you can order specialty items. The concierges were top notch. They took instant care of our requests. The desk staff is friendly and professional. We had 24-hour WIFI and it worked well and easily. Every day we met guests at breakfast and in the elevators. We talked to many of them. We didn't hear a single complaint. The facade of the building is gorgeous, and the lobby is elegant. The room was top notch. You can't beat the location of the George Hotel. Newtown is the place to stay in Edinburgh. It is a classy neighborhood. Old Town just doesn't compare.
Other trip Sep 21, 2013
Mel
The hotel was beautiful, clean and perfectly located for touring and sightseeing. Staff was rude and condescending, parking was ridiculously far away from the hotel and we were not offered valet. I was disappointed in how we were treated. You get much better attention at cheaper hotels.
Other trip Sep 16, 2013
Overall, good. But, given the hotels reputation and price it was somewhat disappointing.
4 night romance trip Aug 23, 2013
"Convenient Location"
Very nice hotel with great restaurant and bar. Excellent location close to transportation, clubs, restaurants, shopping and the castle. We stayed 4 nights and our room rate included breakfast which was buffet style and very good. Staff were excellent. We arrived early after travelling overnight from NY and our room wasn't yet ready. No problem-the young woman at reception took our luggage, gave us breakfast and arranged to have our room made up. We checked in early and got some needed rest. Room was not air-conditioned and Edinburgh was unusually warm so room was somewhat warm. Three issues: the carpet can stand to be cleaned, they use the (darned) CFL lights so the room was not brightly lighted and there were no drawers for clothes, we had to store them on the closet shelves and shelves in other furniture All in all a great hotel and a great stay. We heartily recommend it and would gladly stay there again.
Other trip Aug 18, 2013
"Great location and value!"
Great location! Just a short walking distance to sights, transportation and wonderful eating establishments. Hotel was clean and the staff friendly and helpful. Ask for the new wing with the air conditioning if visiting during the summer!
2 night trip Jul 23, 2013
"lovely place"
Very nice place to stay, though the help-yourself breakfast was a bit chaotic and non-relaxing.
1 night trip Jul 8, 2013
"Not worth the price"
When we arrived, we found out that parking the rental car was tricky be because you had to park several blocks away. Rather than carry out bags for several blocks, the hotel staff told is to leave our bags in the lobby because a staff person would take our bags to our room while we parked and walked back. When we came back about 15-20 minutes later, our bags were still in the lobby and were unattended. They could have easily been stolen. Additionally, the room was very noisy as we were next to a service elevator which we heard creaking all night. We could hear people coughing in the next room. When I opened the desk drawer to look for a pen, the door came off in my hand. The bathroom floor and bathtub floor were very slippery and it wasn't until our last day that we discovered the bathtub slip matt was rolled up into the closet. The card to our room stopped working the second day and we had to wait in the lobby for fifteen minutes in a line to get this corrected. Also, if you want breakfast, you have to tell them the night before or you won't get the discount and for the full Scottish breakfast, ypu are supposed to get a choice of omelette or kippers or a few other items but you have to tell the server- which would have been great except a server never asked us if we wanted anything. Lastly, to pay that much for a room and have a big crass plastic sign next to your pillow that let's you know that you can rent adult movies is disappointing.
Other trip Jul 7, 2013
erika
"Glad I chose The George"
Overall, we enjoyed The George. We spend 3 nights there last week, and couldn't have had a better location! We were on the 6th floor and we had a lovely view of the river (Leith?). The room was clean and the bed comfortable. The breakfast was yummy and served in a beautiful dining room. My only 2 complaints would be that they get that one crazy elevator fixed...I thought it was haunted because it had a mind of it's own! We did get a few laughs out of it! Also, sure wish there was wi-fi in the rooms. You have to go to the first floor to get your complimentary 30 mins. I didn't realize that the first day, and already had my pjs on. I didn't want to scare anyone in the lobby, so I forefitted my time that day. I certainly will recommend The George and also Edinburgh- what an amazing city!
3 night trip Jun 18, 2013
Kateka
"No wireless internet, staff unfriendly"
I arrived with my wife and son 2:30pm and they told me they had no rooms ready, I would have to return at 3pm to get it. Ok, that is what I did, but no rooms available agains on that time. The people at front desk was unfriendly and they told me just to wait more. At 3:45pm I could get my keys and go to the room after a long journey from Brazil. When I just arrived at the room I discover there wasn't wireless internet, so I could not use my iPad and iPhone to connect. I ask the reception and they told me I could go downstairs to connect at the lobby if I wanna to... Also the bed for my son (I bought a room for 3 people and payed in advance) was a terrible one, an old sofa bed absolutely uncomfortably. I tried to change to another hotel but did not succeed because all in the area were full. George hotel has a good location, but never again, never.
Other trip Jun 28, 2013
Andre
"perfect base for Edinburgh sights"
Great rooms, great service, in room temperature controls - would stay here again in a heart beat.
3 night family trip May 31, 2013
KristiG
"pleasant surprise"
Our group had 3 rooms and though they differed in size from spacious to average, everything was clean. Overall very satisfied. Walking distance to castle.
2 night trip May 31, 2013
"Wonderful get away"
The George hotel is located in a very pretty area near all the local attractions and great restaurants. The staff was very helpful with any questions and went out of their way to be helpful. I had an executive King room. The bed was very comfortable and we had plenty of towels etc. Breakfast was very good with plenty of selections. Great coffee! :) My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary and we had a lovely cake waiting for us with delicious chocolates and chocolate covered strawberries. We booked the "Treat your partner package".
Other trip May 30, 2013
"Great Location- Friendly Staff"
We were very pleasantly surprised by the up-to-date room decor and comfort. You can't beat the location-close to local buses, train, Old Town, New Town, restaurants, shopping, and historic sites. It's also about 3 blocks from the bus to the airport which runs every 10 minutes. Staff had refreshments for marathon runners in the lobby and a bagpiper at the doorway. The only minus was that our floor required lugging our luggage up and down a couple staircases.
1 night trip May 25, 2013
C. Clarke
Nice hotel in a wonderful location.
3 night trip May 6, 2013
"Great location in the heart of Edinburgh"
The George was a great choice as it was walking distance to all the main sights as well as the airport link bus service which saved us about forty pounds in taxi service to and from the airport. We only had the breakfast once and it was fairly mediocre especially for the price. Starbuck's is across the street and made more sense for us. Would definitely recommend it.
4 night romance trip Apr 29, 2013
Anita
"Perfect location, lovely hotel"
The rooms were very nice, clean, comfortable, and quiet. The hotel was perfectly located just off the main street, but easy walking distance to the main attractions, shopping, and dining. Only thing that could have improved is wifi in every room not just the lobby... aside from that absolutely perfect!
3 night trip Apr 22, 2013
Heather C
"OK Hotel for family but great for visiting Castle."
Very centrally located. But, the rooms were a bit cramped vs. Carlton Hotel (where we stayed for a night as well). Nice breakfast but had to pay GBP10 per head extra (over the room rate!!!).
Other trip Apr 21, 2013
Shri
Cannot fault the George, everything is on the doorstep, staff are wonderful and the food in the Tempus bar is absolutely gorgeous!
Other trip Apr 13, 2013
"Very upscale hotel, but..."
Our stay was short but we thought breakfast was included in the high rate... Waiter even twice confirmed it was included... Cost us 32pound for an average breakfast... Would stay there again but eat elsewhere
1 night trip Mar 8, 2013
"Central location"
Excellent service
2 night business trip Mar 4, 2013
"Internet and TV only drawbacks"
Location is PERFECT. Room very nice with good coffe/ teatray. Nice design, beautiful bathroom! Nice service. I was ill during business visit. Spent alot of time in the room. Remote didn't work and Internet was super expensive. But overall would highly recommend for tourist.
4 night business trip Feb 17, 2013
I requested room 224 because we stayed there before but I would not request it again as the tub was very difficult to enter and exit and there was a lot of noise at night when empty bottles were deposited in the trash. The size of the room was nice and it was tastefully appointed. We also liked the lobby, bar and breakfast.
5 night trip Feb 9, 2013
"Fabulous Hotel!!!"
My boyfriend and I stayed there for 2 nights and its just fabulous! Close to everything that brings you to Edinburgh. Beautiful rooms. Receptionist was a bit rude, however that would not stop me from staying there again.
2 night romance trip Nov 22, 2012
"Great location!!"
The hotel was a great price and even better location! Walking distance to just about everything you'd want to see in the city. Only room for improvement would be the tiny bathrooms, but than again it's an old building and it's Europe. Oh and there's no mini bar in the smaller rooms, so get some water before checking in for the night. Otherwise great hotel, clean and very pretty.
Other trip Nov 15, 2012
"Wonderful hotel"
Simply impeccable! I was provided with champagne as I was checking into my room - where does this happen! I was visiting over the Halloween and at night it was a bit noisy but it's expected, the hotel has a superb location on George Street, central and within walking distance to the Edinburgh Castle, University of Edinburgh, and surrounding places. The internet wasn't always so reliable but that's OK, it got me out to Starbucks to use wifi and meet local Scots! Would defintely stay again!
2 night business trip Oct 31, 2012
VM
"Faded Glory!!"
this property needs a complete facelift. it is run down & out of touch. restaurant food was just fair- internet was not free. lobby, halls & rooms are worn. windows need to be soundproofed from the street.
2 night trip Oct 12, 2012
Mo
"Perfect location you will not need a car!"
We loved The George great location very helpful staff and lovely decor. We will stay at The George on our next trip to Scotland. Highly recommend this wonderful hotel.
2 night family trip Oct 13, 2012
Mama C
"Mediocre at best"
When we arrived around 5pm, the hotel concierge and reception were pleasant enough. When we got into our room, however, we were alarmed to find that the room looked as if someone else were already staying there. We immediately went downstairs to inform the hotel staff and ask if there were a mistake. They assured us that the previous guest had already checked out and that someone would be up to clean the room. When the hotel cleaning staff hadn't shown up by dinnertime (around 7pm), we asked again for them to send someone, but we had to innumerate for them that we needed the previous guest's soiled towels, dirty toothbrush, trash (with literature containing the previous guest's name), and dirty dishes be removed - and that we'd like to have it done before we got back from dinner so that we could shower after a long day of traveling. It was mostly cleaned by then, although the trash was never removed. There was also really loud construction crews outside that woke us by 7am every morning of our stay. The cleanliness issue was really the biggest factor for the low rating, combined with the staff's slow response time. The bright light of the hotel would be its concierge crew - namely Lukaz - he was excellent - very friendly, great restaurant recommendations. Also the location was nice. Don't think I'd stay here again unless the Hotel took more initiative to ensure a pleasant experience.
Other trip Oct 9, 2012
Rachel
"Very good, but make sure you get what you paid for"
I booked a business special, and it was a solid stay - clean, convenient, and courteous staff. The special was also great because it included the internet, a breakfast buffett, and a drink voucher. BUT both me and my colleague had to go back and forth with reception a couple of times before they got it straight that we were supposed to get the internet (and the voucher) as part of our rate and we should have been given these at check-in. Not a huge deal, but be sure you know what comes with your rate, because you might not get it unless you ask for it.
1 night business trip Sep 30, 2012
BusinessTraveler
"Great hotel; great location."
Everything was spectacular; great location, really nice staff, and modern. My room was even pretty roomy, almost to an american hotel standard (I did choose the executive double so that I would be sure I didn't have twin beds). The food was really good as well, and not super expensive for room service (£13 including service charge for french fries, a pot of tea, and a cheese tray). The staff did go above and beyond for me, as it was a bit chilly one evening and they had not turned on the central heat yet. So they immediately brought me a space heater (I literally had it 5 minutes after I called the desk). They also helped me with my bags, stored them for me on the day of my departure because my train left late in the day - allowing me to explore the town for one more day. All in all, an exceptional value, and I plan on staying here again on my next trip to Edinburgh.
Other trip Oct 1, 2012
Great location and nice old hotel. I didnt have breakfast but the bar dinner was good and reasonably priced.
6 night family trip Sep 4, 2012

"British Open Trip"
Nice location! Clean and comfortable, bathroom didn't have a surface to put a thing on, that became very tiresome. Concierge was great! Front desk staff seemed confused most of the time.
4 night trip with friends Jul 20, 2015
DARLENE
"Nice hotel, a little pricey but good"
We had two separate stays here within a week as we toured Scotland. On our first stay, The hotel had not processed our reservation from hotels.com. The staff to about 45 minutes to resolve this, but gave us some tea and biscuits in the lobby. Then placed us in a room that required us to drag our suitcases down some stairs after the elevator/lift. The room was clean and comfortable. The hotel is in a good location-- it is near public transportation and within walking distance (if you like to walk a fair distance) restaurants and many sites. Also, the staff was friendly and helpful. On our second stay, we upgraded to a superior room. It was on one of the top floors, was spacious, and had a wonderful view of the entire city. The restaurant is closed for renovations, but the buffet breakfast in the ballroom was good and convenient. The hotel is a bit expensive, but good. We would consider shhtaying there again. Note: the dome restaurant and bar across the street is gorgeous. We went there twice for drinks and dessert.
1 night romance trip Jul 18, 2015
Gregory
"Great hotel - right in Edinburgh centre"
Hotel with no restaurant. Bar closes at 10pm for residents, but they will serve you drinks from the room service menu at room service prices. Very pleasant staff and lovely hotel - ideally situation in the middle of everything.
1 night family trip Jul 10, 2015
Sean
"Hotter than the sun"
Stayed on a particularly hot evening. the blurb on hotels.com promised climate control so I thought the room would be nice and cool. this was not the case. the medieval AC unit did not work and when I phoned reception they offered me a fan which successfully blew hot hair around the room. rubbish stay.
1 night romance trip Jul 4, 2015
"Very disappointing"
Fairly poor from start to finish. First put in wrong room then moved to room on second floor above building site and glass dumping area. Builders shouting and swearing from early on and glass being dumped at one in morning. We were wakened by a fire alarm which we had just managed to dress for when it went ioff. Went back to bed and a cleaner came into room even though we had the don't disturb sign on door. We had asked reception breakfast times and were told it finished at 11am. We took our time in morning and went down to breakfast at 10.30 to be told breakfast finished at 10! The duty manager told us that there was no food left ( we even said we would cook it!) and we were offered tea and toast. After some remonstrating they managed to conjure up some cooked food from the food they didn't have! The final straw was when we checked out to be told that the computer system was down and the receptionist insisted that I had to write my credit card numbers down although everything had been prepaid just in case there were other charges! She was then very rude to me when I questioned this. Given this is supposed to be a four star hotel I was really disappointed all round and would certainly not recommend it to anyone. The only good thing about it was its central location.
1 night romance trip Jul 1, 2015
"Comfortable hotel in central location."
Well appointed, comfortable room in central location. Expensive on street parking only, max stay 3 hours Monday to Saturday. Check out extremely slow. Otherwise good.
1 night trip with friends Jun 28, 2015
Perfect location and very quiet and comfortable room.
1 night business trip Jun 28, 2015
Agnes
"quality George Hotel"
my wife and I had a fantastic stay at the George Hotel. room was superb, the staff at reception were very friendly and helpful on our arrival. the room was very clean and comfortable. breakfast at the George was very good with plenty of choice. the hotel was situated perfectly with a short walk from the railway station and well situated for the city centre. my wife and I will be back to the George Hotel.
2 night romance trip Jun 27, 2015
"very good"
Enjoyed our stay. Hotel and location was ideal
1 night romance trip Mar 14, 2015
"Grand Edwardian Hotel"
Beautifully presented Edwardian Hotel in the grand area of Edinburgh. Within walking distance of all the sites, restaurants, shops and train station. Room in perfect condition, large bathroom and excellent coffee/tea facilities. In house Dry Cleaning very reasonable also.
2 night romance trip Jun 3, 2015