All hotels in Edinburgh, Scotland, United Kingdom
You can collect Hotels.com® Rewards nights here19-21 George Street, Edinburgh, Scotland, EH2 2PB, United Kingdom, ‏‎800-491-6126

"No wireless internet, staff unfriendly"
I arrived with my wife and son 2:30pm and they told me they had no rooms ready, I would have to return at 3pm to get it. Ok, that is what I did, but no rooms available agains on that time. The people at front desk was unfriendly and they told me just to wait more. At 3:45pm I could get my keys and go to the room after a long journey from Brazil. When I just arrived at the room I discover there wasn't wireless internet, so I could not use my iPad and iPhone to connect. I ask the reception and they told me I could go downstairs to connect at the lobby if I wanna to... Also the bed for my son (I bought a room for 3 people and payed in advance) was a terrible one, an old sofa bed absolutely uncomfortably. I tried to change to another hotel but did not succeed because all in the area were full. George hotel has a good location, but never again, never.
Other trip Jun 28, 2013
Andre
"perfect base for Edinburgh sights"
Great rooms, great service, in room temperature controls - would stay here again in a heart beat.
3 night family trip May 31, 2013
KristiG
"pleasant surprise"
Our group had 3 rooms and though they differed in size from spacious to average, everything was clean. Overall very satisfied. Walking distance to castle.
2 night trip May 31, 2013
"Wonderful get away"
The George hotel is located in a very pretty area near all the local attractions and great restaurants. The staff was very helpful with any questions and went out of their way to be helpful. I had an executive King room. The bed was very comfortable and we had plenty of towels etc. Breakfast was very good with plenty of selections. Great coffee! :) My husband and I were celebrating our anniversary and we had a lovely cake waiting for us with delicious chocolates and chocolate covered strawberries. We booked the "Treat your partner package".
Other trip May 30, 2013
"Great Location- Friendly Staff"
We were very pleasantly surprised by the up-to-date room decor and comfort. You can't beat the location-close to local buses, train, Old Town, New Town, restaurants, shopping, and historic sites. It's also about 3 blocks from the bus to the airport which runs every 10 minutes. Staff had refreshments for marathon runners in the lobby and a bagpiper at the doorway. The only minus was that our floor required lugging our luggage up and down a couple staircases.
1 night trip May 25, 2013
C. Clarke
Nice hotel in a wonderful location.
3 night trip May 6, 2013
"Great location in the heart of Edinburgh"
The George was a great choice as it was walking distance to all the main sights as well as the airport link bus service which saved us about forty pounds in taxi service to and from the airport. We only had the breakfast once and it was fairly mediocre especially for the price. Starbuck's is across the street and made more sense for us. Would definitely recommend it.
4 night romance trip Apr 29, 2013
Anita
"Perfect location, lovely hotel"
The rooms were very nice, clean, comfortable, and quiet. The hotel was perfectly located just off the main street, but easy walking distance to the main attractions, shopping, and dining. Only thing that could have improved is wifi in every room not just the lobby... aside from that absolutely perfect!
3 night trip Apr 22, 2013
Heather C
"OK Hotel for family but great for visiting Castle."
Very centrally located. But, the rooms were a bit cramped vs. Carlton Hotel (where we stayed for a night as well). Nice breakfast but had to pay GBP10 per head extra (over the room rate!!!).
Other trip Apr 21, 2013
Shri
Cannot fault the George, everything is on the doorstep, staff are wonderful and the food in the Tempus bar is absolutely gorgeous!
Other trip Apr 13, 2013
"Very upscale hotel, but..."
Our stay was short but we thought breakfast was included in the high rate... Waiter even twice confirmed it was included... Cost us 32pound for an average breakfast... Would stay there again but eat elsewhere
1 night trip Mar 8, 2013
"Central location"
Excellent service
2 night business trip Mar 4, 2013
"Internet and TV only drawbacks"
Location is PERFECT. Room very nice with good coffe/ teatray. Nice design, beautiful bathroom! Nice service. I was ill during business visit. Spent alot of time in the room. Remote didn't work and Internet was super expensive. But overall would highly recommend for tourist.
4 night business trip Feb 17, 2013
I requested room 224 because we stayed there before but I would not request it again as the tub was very difficult to enter and exit and there was a lot of noise at night when empty bottles were deposited in the trash. The size of the room was nice and it was tastefully appointed. We also liked the lobby, bar and breakfast.
5 night trip Feb 9, 2013
"Fabulous Hotel!!!"
My boyfriend and I stayed there for 2 nights and its just fabulous! Close to everything that brings you to Edinburgh. Beautiful rooms. Receptionist was a bit rude, however that would not stop me from staying there again.
2 night romance trip Nov 22, 2012
"Great location!!"
The hotel was a great price and even better location! Walking distance to just about everything you'd want to see in the city. Only room for improvement would be the tiny bathrooms, but than again it's an old building and it's Europe. Oh and there's no mini bar in the smaller rooms, so get some water before checking in for the night. Otherwise great hotel, clean and very pretty.
Other trip Nov 15, 2012
"Wonderful hotel"
Simply impeccable! I was provided with champagne as I was checking into my room - where does this happen! I was visiting over the Halloween and at night it was a bit noisy but it's expected, the hotel has a superb location on George Street, central and within walking distance to the Edinburgh Castle, University of Edinburgh, and surrounding places. The internet wasn't always so reliable but that's OK, it got me out to Starbucks to use wifi and meet local Scots! Would defintely stay again!
2 night business trip Oct 31, 2012
VM
"Faded Glory!!"
this property needs a complete facelift. it is run down & out of touch. restaurant food was just fair- internet was not free. lobby, halls & rooms are worn. windows need to be soundproofed from the street.
2 night trip Oct 12, 2012
Mo
"Perfect location you will not need a car!"
We loved The George great location very helpful staff and lovely decor. We will stay at The George on our next trip to Scotland. Highly recommend this wonderful hotel.
2 night family trip Oct 13, 2012
Mama C
"Mediocre at best"
When we arrived around 5pm, the hotel concierge and reception were pleasant enough. When we got into our room, however, we were alarmed to find that the room looked as if someone else were already staying there. We immediately went downstairs to inform the hotel staff and ask if there were a mistake. They assured us that the previous guest had already checked out and that someone would be up to clean the room. When the hotel cleaning staff hadn't shown up by dinnertime (around 7pm), we asked again for them to send someone, but we had to innumerate for them that we needed the previous guest's soiled towels, dirty toothbrush, trash (with literature containing the previous guest's name), and dirty dishes be removed - and that we'd like to have it done before we got back from dinner so that we could shower after a long day of traveling. It was mostly cleaned by then, although the trash was never removed. There was also really loud construction crews outside that woke us by 7am every morning of our stay. The cleanliness issue was really the biggest factor for the low rating, combined with the staff's slow response time. The bright light of the hotel would be its concierge crew - namely Lukaz - he was excellent - very friendly, great restaurant recommendations. Also the location was nice. Don't think I'd stay here again unless the Hotel took more initiative to ensure a pleasant experience.
Other trip Oct 9, 2012
Rachel
"Very good, but make sure you get what you paid for"
I booked a business special, and it was a solid stay - clean, convenient, and courteous staff. The special was also great because it included the internet, a breakfast buffett, and a drink voucher. BUT both me and my colleague had to go back and forth with reception a couple of times before they got it straight that we were supposed to get the internet (and the voucher) as part of our rate and we should have been given these at check-in. Not a huge deal, but be sure you know what comes with your rate, because you might not get it unless you ask for it.
1 night business trip Sep 30, 2012
BusinessTraveler
"Great hotel; great location."
Everything was spectacular; great location, really nice staff, and modern. My room was even pretty roomy, almost to an american hotel standard (I did choose the executive double so that I would be sure I didn't have twin beds). The food was really good as well, and not super expensive for room service (£13 including service charge for french fries, a pot of tea, and a cheese tray). The staff did go above and beyond for me, as it was a bit chilly one evening and they had not turned on the central heat yet. So they immediately brought me a space heater (I literally had it 5 minutes after I called the desk). They also helped me with my bags, stored them for me on the day of my departure because my train left late in the day - allowing me to explore the town for one more day. All in all, an exceptional value, and I plan on staying here again on my next trip to Edinburgh.
Other trip Oct 1, 2012
Great location and nice old hotel. I didnt have breakfast but the bar dinner was good and reasonably priced.
6 night family trip Sep 4, 2012
"Excellent breakfast buffet"
I stayed at the hotel for my first two nights as a woman traveling alone in Scotland (from USA). The location is perfect with many friendly restaurants to choose from. The festival was going on and the hotel was perfectly located; close to many events. My room was quiet and clean, the staff was helpful in getting WIFI on my phone and giving me walking directions when I needed them. The hotel s an easy walk to the train station and to the Royal Mile.
2 night trip Aug 16, 2012
Becky
"Efficient, happily helpful"
There are so many rooms and only two elevators. Surprisingly, we did not have to wait very long for an available elevator. The staff greeted us with a chilled glass of "bubbly" and a smile. Wake up calls were timely and the concierge was very efficient and helpful. Breakfast was plentiful.
Other trip Aug 22, 2012
JoAnne
We enjoyed our stay at the George. most of the staff were very helpful. Great location for Shopping, eating, and ease of quick access to transportation. A special thanks to Peter at the concierge desk! This young man really made the difference in our stay at the George by making sure that any needs were met, and he was happy to accomodate.
3 night trip Jul 14, 2012
Gary and Debi
the breakfast was low-grade
Other trip Jul 17, 2012
"EXCELLENT"
Hotel staffs are wonderful in so many ways from arrival to check-out and things in between. The location is close to everything. Highly recommend.
Other trip Jul 13, 2012
"Night in Edinburgh"
Was a lovely hotel, excellent location, very close to great dining options, and a brief walk to the Royal Mile. General lobby and public spaces a bit nicer than the rooms, an attribute typical of many European hotels. Good value for the price. I wanted to offer particular praise for the concierge working on Friday evening July 6. He was extraordinarily helpful, knowledgeable, and no request to great for him to handle. LRD from Boston
2 night trip Jul 6, 2012
LRD
"Good location for train travel in Scotland"
I was happy with my stay, although the hotel was very busy with a major convention. I had trouble reaching the front desk several times due to a large number of people checking in and out. Overall, however, I was pleased with the friendly staff and the excellent breakfast each morning.
2 night trip Jun 30, 2012
BK
"Lovely and convenient"
Great place to stay! Walk to the train station, the Royal Mile, the Edinburgh Castle, lots of great food within blocks on Thistle Street and on Rose. Food in hotel is very good too...service could not have been more friendly/helpful, booking online cheaper than at the front desk (we extended our stay.) very clean. Only complaint is wi if is only in the lobby. We had an IPad and could not hook up to the cable for laptops in the room...so had to check email etc in lobby.
1 night romance trip Jun 29, 2012
Roy
Great place to stay in Edinburgh. The rooms are spacius. Very tastefully decorated and appointed. Great value for money. All in, a top choice. Breakfast excelent. The location is close to the centre.
Other trip Jul 2, 2012
"Wonderful location !"
Excellent all very clean and organized staff very friendly
3 night trip Jun 26, 2012
Janice
The room was great the hotel beautiful but the noise in the street outside my window and the wedding celebrations went on past midnight. I couldn't sleep and then at 7am housekeeping starting knocking on the door. So as far as staying there again i would if i didn't need any sleep.
4 night trip Jun 22, 2012
Debbie, Colorado
"REALLY loved this hotel"
Great hotel. Great location. Really helpful staff (thanks Colin and Josh). Nice large room. Would definitely stay here again.
2 night trip May 26, 2012
The room had a very low ceiling, my husband is over 6 foot and could not stand up straight in the shower. We were on the top floor and did not have any view from the room except the roof. i chose this hotel for a special occasion, but felt that it did not quite live up to expectations. The breakfast was very good and the dining room very impressive
Other trip Jun 8, 2012

"A great hotel"
We only stayed one night but we were very pleasantly surprised with the room. It was of a good size, on the first floor and was quiet due to it being on a side road. The room and bathroom were both impeccably clean. The bed was at least a super king and extremely comfortable with good pillows. Breakfast the following morning was included in our room rate and had a good choice of hot and cold items. You could also choose extra, hot and freshly cooked items by the chef for a charge. Good wifi was to be had, free of charge, too. All the staff were delightful with nothing being too much trouble. The George is also in a very good position for tourists and transport links are fantastic. I would be very happy to stay there again.
1 night business trip May 12, 2015
Ryan
"A Night in the George"
Noisy Nieghbour - TV playing until 05:00 in morning. Breakfast is Buffet Service - not very warm. Nice friendy receptionist checking in - grumpy one checking out. Hotel is going through a refurb which is making things difficult.
1 night business trip May 5, 2015
"good hotel"
Stayed at the George Hotel for three nights the staff there could not have been more friendly and helpful. The hotel is only a short walk from Waverley Station and the bus station in St Andrews Square. This is the only hotel where I have found Classic FM on the in room TV. There was a notice in the room saying that they had ON REQUEST complimentary flannel, shaving kit and toothbrush.  I found it a bit strange that you had to ask for them as a hotel I use regularly supply those items as standard.   At the moment the Tempus bar and restaurant are shut due to renovations.  Breakfast is served in the ballroom which is beautiful. The breakfast is good.  The bar is now up in the panorama bar up on the 5th floor the views are AMAZING and you can see right over the Forth to Fife.  Will be back at the George when I am next in Edinburgh
3 night trip May 14, 2015
"Anon"
Spacious bedroom of a high standard
1 night romance trip May 12, 2015
"City centre hotel with excellent service"
Restaurant closed for refurbishment but otherwise excellent hotel. Amazing views from temporary bar on 5th floor!!
1 night business trip Apr 20, 2015
"Family get together"
We travelled for a family funeral and extended our stay to enjoy Edinburgh. Hotel is in an excellent location for all the sights good restaurants and bars. It has an amazing roof top bar itself with panaramic views of Edinburgh and the coast. You are also in walking distance of Princes St and Harvey Nichols. Excellent stay all round
3 night romance trip May 7, 2015
Kym
"Great customer service !"
A lovely hotel. The staff are extremely accommodating ! I had the misfortune of leaving my train tickets in the hotel room after checkout! A lovely lady from HR (first person i got in touch with when in a state of panic), sorted everything out for me and located my tickets. Lovely breakfast and in central location. I will most certainly be staying again in the near future.
1 night family trip Mar 31, 2015
suzanne
Beautiful hotel, warm and friendly staff, great location. Can't wait to return.
2 night family trip May 1, 2015
"May Getaway"
Very impressed with this Hotel. Efficiently run with great staff.
1 night romance trip May 1, 2015
"Lovely hotel"
Lovely mid-week stay in April.
1 night romance trip Apr 22, 2015
jamie
"50th wedding anniversary celebration break."
Great service, nice room, would stay again when in Edinburgh. Sorry that the dining room was being refurbished, however nearby restaurants were great.
2 night romance trip Apr 12, 2015
Albert
"Saturday - Sunday break"
Staff were very helpful. Room was very clean with good space. Parking near the hotel on street is very expensive & wardens are everywhere - we managed to get a parking ticket despite having 30 mins left on our own ticket. Very good position of hotel otherwise for exploring/dining etc.
1 night family trip Mar 28, 2015
"Edinburgh break"
Room could be cleaner,carpet needed a good vacuum, mattress very tired kept rolling into middle. Reception staff brilliant and very helpful. Breakfast choice excellent used the bar in the evening and found staff friendly. Had lunch in bar was very pleased with choice and portion size.
2 night romance trip Apr 3, 2015
Bev
"Very nice"
Very nice hotel, good location and friendly helpful staff. Church bells are a bit annoying but can't be helped. Hotel bar is nice and cocktails are special.
2 night romance trip Apr 3, 2015