All hotels in Reykjavik, Iceland
Bergstadastraeti 37, Reykjavik, 00101, Iceland, ‏‎800-491-6126

"I would stay here again"
The staff at this hotel are very friendly and accomodating. We arrived very early in the morning after taking the red eye. Our room was not ready, so we were invited for a complimentary breakfast while our room was being prepared. Likewise, when we left, we were given a late check out to accomodate our whale watching excursion earlier in the day. Overall, we had a very pleasant stay.
Other trip Jul 29, 2013
Theresa
"Lovely hotel in nice and convenient area"
The hotel was described in one guide book as looking "like an 1980's car park" on the outside, but I didn't find it to be that unattractive. The interior was very nice, lots of lovely art everywhere, and the staff were very friendly and helpful. The room was plain but relatively spacious for a European hotel, and it was very nice and clean. The hotel is in a residential area, but it was an easy 5 to 10 minute walk to get to the major sights (like the church and some museums) and shopping area in central Reykjavik. There was also a nice little bakery and a small grocery store just a few blocks away (I didn't eat at the hotel so I can't comment on the restaurant).
2 night trip Jul 19, 2013
Room was very dated. Small bed. Thin sheets. Old carpet. Decent location, but not the most central
1 night trip with friends Jul 12, 2013
The location of the hotel is great: very close to the shopping and restaurant area, yet was quiet in the evening for a good night sleep. When we arrived, we noticed that there was a drop of a liquid on the toilet seat. There was also a brown stain on one of the white duvet blankets on the bed. The room came with a set of coffee set, but one of the cup looked like it had been used and not washed. These were details that were noted as we found them. I also got some sticky thing on my hand when I went to grab a beer from their refrigerator. We did not bother to tell the hotel management. It was not a huge deal, but it made us question the cleanliness of the room. These were details we had not encountered in other hotels we stayed at elsewhere in Iceland during our 10-day trip.
3 night trip Jul 6, 2013
"NIce Reykjavik hotel"
Wonderful, helpful staff. Comfortable room and lobby. The location is very good, with the downtown restaurant and shopping area only a short walk from the hotel. Day trips, an essential part of the Iceland experience, are easily accessible as most companies will pick you up at the hotel.
Other trip Jul 7, 2013
Stephen
"A quite and comfortable stay with much to do."
Our stay in Iceland was too brief just overnight for hiking and horseback riding before our return flight to the States. The Hotel was conveniently located with quite rooms and comfortable beds with heat available in late May. No charge for late checkout. The service was fine and had a room to accommodate 3. The furnishing were a little dated but the are work was interesting. With much to do in 24 hours and all that daylight we did not hang out in the Hotel but had no real complaints.
Other trip May 30, 2013
Ron
"Centrally located--lovely hotel"
Stayed here for 5 days--terrific front desk staff--very helpful in getting taxis, reservations, packed lunches, etc. Plentiful breakfast included, comfy beds and nice bar!
Other trip May 28, 2013
Alison
"Almost great."
The staff was very helpful, rooms very clean. It has a comfortable bar area, though I was one of the few taking advantage of it! The room (junior suite) felt a bit bleak for some reason. It was just missing a little warmth in the details, but still comfortable. The breakfast was nothing special, and the restaurant was also not great. Meat was overcooked, and fish had some weird peanut sauce that did not work. The hotel is a couple of blocks from the central shopping and restaurant area, which is either positive or negative per your taste. I like to be closer to the action, but many prefer a quieter stay, which this was. Another reviewer mentioned the nearby bakery, which was very good. Overall good and comfortable, but did not love it.
Other trip May 28, 2013
"Warm, Cozy, Quiet Holt Hotel"
We stayed here 3 years ago and really liked the old style of the hotel, very warm and cozy and love the traditional Icelandic breakfast. The staff is extremely accommodating and helpful with exersions and making restaurant reservations for you. Especially the manager Snorri. Stop and say hello to him. The little bar is very romantic, but also very business like for those business travelers. Destination vacations are about enjoying the local food, people and environment and this was a hotel that we felt very comfortable in. It is on a very quiet neighborhood street and very close to the most wonderful bakery Bernhoftsbakari.
Other trip Apr 8, 2013
The Hotel Holt was excellent. Easy walking to all the city sights, retaurants, bars and shopping. Excellent restaurant and bar in the hotel and friendly and very helpful staff . If returning to Iceland I would definitly stay again at the Holt. Iceland is AMAZING!
4 night family trip Mar 28, 2013
"Fantastic Hotel"
Everything was wonderful. Even before our stay, I chatted online with the hotel manager, Snorri. He was fantastic and gave me a lot of wonderful information. The day we arrived it was 7 am and our room would not be ready for an hour. They gave us the fantastic breakfast buffet complimentary. The room was quiet and location was perfect. All front desk staff was knowledgeable and helpful. Certainly the best we encountered in Iceland, and we stayed at 9 different properties around the island. Fantastic.
1 night romance trip Mar 24, 2013
FP Traveler
"Excellent old style hotel with a touch of class."
The hotel is not very appealing from the outside, but beautifully old school inside. Very atmospheric and original art everywhere. Cosy bar complete with fireplace. Room was functional, but more than adequate. Positioned in a residential part of Reykjavik away from the busy main streets, but only five minutes walk away. Great spot. The wifi in my room was weak or sometimes not there at all. I told the people on reception (who were invariably friendly and helpful) and they said they would look into it. A very good stay!
6 night trip Mar 22, 2013
Hotel Holt is a delightful hotel and ticks every box. As a solo female traveller I really appreciated being warmly welcomed as a whole person (not with suspicion or as a couple/pair with half missing) and being accommodated in a delightful single room (at a single rate) in a 'front of house' position, on the top floor, with an accessible balcony & all with a gorgeous view over Reykjavik. And refreshingly, the hotel's free WiFi worked consistently and without any log-in hurdles or dramas.
Other trip Mar 15, 2013
It's an upper-end traditional/old style hotel that is very friendly and welcoming. We were very pleased - all of the locals that knew where we were staying also had only excellent things to say about the hotel. And, one of the best (if not the best) restaurant is located in the hotel where we had a fantastic meal. Caruso's (as recommended by the hotel) is a great Italian restaurant. Mokka has great waffles and coffee. Everything is within walking distance; The hotel is in an excellent location.
Other trip Feb 25, 2013
"Beautiful decorations"
The hotel lobby and restaurant have beautiful wood panelling and an amazing collection of artwork. The desk staff were very friendly and helpful. The dinner was amazi g.
1 night family trip Feb 13, 2013
The Guenthers
"beautiful boutique hotel"
it was a great find! not only was the hotel beautiful, we loved the warm feeling of it. the staff was incredibly kind and helpful, as well. we ended up arriving very early - more than 8 hours before checking, and the gentleman at the desk not only offered us complimentary breakfast, but had a room ready for us within a couple of hours. it was a wonderful welcome and great way to start our trip! we were there for a full week in one of their suites, which was spacious and comfortable enough to call 'home'. when we go back, we will definitely stay here.
Other trip Nov 22, 2012
"A pleasant stay for a week"
This was my first visit to Iceland, and I picked Hotel Holt based on price and location. After an overnight flight, the hotel staff graciously accommodated my early check-in and were helpful in many ways. My room was very quiet, clean and comfortable. The lobby was a bit dark, but I suspect that might have been to feature the many wonderful pieces of Icelandic art on the walls. Every member of the staff was friendly and helpful. Absolutely no complaints there. The buffet breakfast was wonderful. It was exactly the same every morning, but since it was my favorite things, I was satisfied. The associated restaurant, the Gallery, was wonderful. I ate about half my meals there, which is unusual for me to do while traveling. I will review it separately. Regarding the smell of the water - this is typical of Icelandic hot water, which is geothermal in source. It has a very slight sulfurous nose, but I became used to it in just a few days.
7 night trip Oct 28, 2012
"Comfortable stay, great location"
Hotel Holt is a little dated and the rooms could do with redecoration, but the location is perfect, the service is impeccable, the breakfast buffet is awesome. I might be biased because I was upgraded from a regular room (which seemed very small) to a junior suite with a balcony and breathtaking panoramic view of Reykjavik. My travelling companion was not upgraded and the regular room seemed cramped.
4 night trip Oct 2, 2012
G
"Delightful hotel. Conveniently situated."
Comfortable room. Delicious breakfast. Pleasant bar. Near to everything. A most enjoyable stay.
4 night trip Oct 2, 2012
lemonpop5
"Great place, great location"
This was a great place to stay. It is quiet and clean. The staff were very friendly and helpful. It's an easy walk to all the things you'd like to see in Reykjavik and it's also around the corner from the bus station. The one bummer was that the wireless signal was not very strong in my room - almost non-existent. So, I had to use my laptop in the bar or the lobby where it worked great. Fortunately both those locations are very comfortable.
3 night trip Aug 30, 2012
Anne
Conveniently located. Attentive staff. Hotel has one of the biggest art collections in Reykjavik.
Other trip Sep 4, 2012

"Liked this hotel."
All of the above were excellent. All the staff on the front desk were very helpful. The breakfast is the typical Scandinavian variety which I like a lot. The hotel is in the 'older' part of the city and in walking distance to the old town and the water front. The restaurant was a bit upscale for my taste but comfortable.
3 night trip May 18, 2015
Marsha
"Great location and huge amount of art"
Although the outside of the hotel (well, and bits of the inside) look like they are straig from the eastern block this is a great hotel. Very quite inside and almost no road noise outside. It's ina handy location for downtown and the staff were all very friendly. Breakfast was fine and free car parking was a bonus. The gym is a bit laughable (Dumbbells, a step machine and bike don't equal gym in my book) but they do give you free access to one of the most awesome gyms I've ever been in. World class fitness is huge and has two Olympic sized pools, outside spas, hundreds of treadmills and other gear. Truely world class. The downside is that the gym is about 10 minutes drive away (3km / 2 mile). But if you have a hire car, you really should go at least once. Oh, and I should mention the art. The hotel has a ton of paintings and sculptures. All really good stuff. One downside was the cost of food. Iceland seems to be really expensive for food anyway but the Holt seemed to be at the top end of the scale. Can't commnet on the quality as I couldnt really afford to eat there! I did have a meal in the bar though and that was excellent.
Other trip Apr 11, 2015
"Nice hotel close to city centre."
Excellent experience. Hotel staff very helpful when booking tours, dinner etc. We had a very comfortable suite with a lovely bathroom.
Other trip Mar 28, 2015
Geraldine
The decor is outdated, not my cup of tea. but the staff,location and condition are perfect.
Other trip Mar 18, 2015
MJ
"Central Hotel"
Really enjoyed our stay at this hotel. Staff were very helpful and amenable. Breakfast was included: considerable spread, including scrambled egg and bacon; toast and jams/marmalade, fresh orange juice, coffee... this is included in the price, which we didn't realise. Hotel room was plain, comfortable bed with tv, safe included in room. Bathroom was clean - toilet was very close to the wall, which was a bit odd. Shower powerful and most welcome after a day in the cold. Small extras like shampoos and conditioners, were left on the first day, but not topped up, which was somewhat disappointing. Towels too were not replaced as a full set. Downstairs there was a bar, which was busy on Saturday night - perhaps locals visit? Didn't use this, but it looked cosy and snug. Hotel was about a 7 minute walk to the main road, which took you to the church at the top of the high street. Well placed hotel and would recommend. We stayed at the front of the hotel, which could be noisy at night at the weekend ... not much noise insulation in the rooms, so could hear chatting next door, but that's life I guess. Ask for a room at the back then you won't hear the noise of traffic or late night callers. No problem with tours, they pick you up from hotel in smaller buses and then you change at local bus station. On the return trips got to see some other hotels, and we felt thankful we weren't staying there, but here. Just the job - would recommend on the whole.
Other trip Mar 4, 2015
Sandra
"We will return!"
Spent 4 nights here last weekend, very comfortable hotel, a little faded from its former glory but still classy with wood panelling and lots of interesting paintings and art. We thought breakfast wasn't included but it was, and was excellent. The hotel is very close to the historic and shopping area, and perfect for exploring Rekyavik. We didn't dine here but heard good reports.
4 night romance trip Feb 26, 2015
robert
"A gallery at your hotel"
The Holt is located on a small street a five minute walk from the main shopping street. The hotel houses Iceland's largest personal art collection. Staff was always polite and very helpful. The backside lower rooms are a bit noisy - delivery trucks, kitchen staff on breaks, etc. Rooms are small but adequate. The restaurant serves fantastic food but is very expensive. The breakfast provided by the hotel was large and catered to all tastes.
6 night romance trip Feb 17, 2015
Tana
"Great location for a family holiday"
Very conveniently located in a quiet area yet only a few minutes stroll to all the main sights in Reykjavik. Reception staff were very friendly and helpful and keen to help us get the most out of our stay. We had a suite with comfortable king size bed and a large sofa bed in the living room which our 13 and 10 year old children shared very happily. Nice to be able to fold the sofa bed up during the day and have the use of a sitting room.
2 night family trip Feb 19, 2015
"Nice hotel in centre of older part of Reykjavik"
The hotel is very warm and comfortable with excellent service from friendly well informed staff. Nothing was too much trouble for them and they were very efficient with bookings and amendments. They also gave you quick updates on changes. I would certainly stay there again.
Other trip Feb 12, 2015
Sue
"EXCELLENT HOTEL"
Could not have picked a better hotel in an excellent location in the heart of Reykjavik. A short walk to the main shopping and eating area. The hotel staff were excellent. Breakfast, which was included in the price, was ideal and just what was required prior to the long days driving around Iceland.
Other trip Feb 4, 2015
"Hotel Holt... Perfect base to discover Reykjavík"
Hotel Holt is a short 10 minute walk from Reykjavík's shopping and entertainment areas. Our group found the hotel to be ideally situated, comfortable and very well maintained. Our rooms had very comfortable beds, were of reasonable size and well furnished with a flat screen TV, well-stocked bar fridge and adequate wardrobe storage. Free WiFi coverage was available throughout the hotel. The reception and breakfast areas dark wooden panels with book shelves gave the ground floor an old & worldly feel. Breakfast was a self-service buffet which offered a good selection of breads, sliced meats, ham, cheese, cereals, yogurts, boiled & scrambled egg, bacon, warm water for tea, coffee and juice. Lastly we found the hotel staff to be very helpful, friendly and flexible. All in all, I had no complaints... we thoroughly enjoyed our stay.  If I ever return to Reykjavík, I would not hesitate in staying at the Hotel Holt again.
3 night trip with friends Dec 19, 2014
Rodney
"Great Hotel in city centre"
Staff excellent most helpful nothing too much trouble and great communication. It is really a quality hotel in all areas , even left surprise bottle in room for Wifes birthday. Would recommend to all.
Other trip Dec 31, 2014
"Great Hotel close to downtown area of Reykjavik"
Very nice hotel and very helpful staff. Highly recommended.
Other trip Dec 16, 2014
WW
"Great base"
Nice one night stay in Hotel Holt. Room and hotel were clean, staff lovely. Parking is a boon in Reykjavik and is a great base to explore from. Room was a little cold (i should've asked reception about it really) but generally comfortable. Breakfast choice was OK but nothing spectacular
1 night romance trip Nov 26, 2014
Adam
"Old World hotel"
We stayed at Holt for our last night in Reykjavik. The room was big and comfortable. It's a old hotel but well maintained. The staff were very helpful. I loved the old elevator and the shoe shine machine. Breakfast, which was included, was great. Don't miss their croissants. The Gallery Restaurant is also very good, a bit pricey, but worth the money.
Other trip Nov 3, 2014
Moi
"Friendly staff."
Friendly and comfortable. We arrived very early in the morning and were offered breakfast while awaiting our room, which was ready by 9:30. It was a great way to start and allowed us to rest up from our flight before our adventure in Iceland.
1 night romance trip Oct 5, 2014
"Nice hotel 4-5 blocks to main street."
A few blocks from main street which is good as way quieter than if stay on the strip. Staff were very friendly and helpful.
Other trip Jun 22, 2014
Perm
Two single duvets for my wife and I to share. But large suite old fashioned decor . Quiet clean
Other trip Jun 21, 2014
lammey
"Lovely hotel, clean & comfortable rooms."
Great hotel, 10 minutes walk from town centre, extremely clean and comfortable rooms,adequate breakfast. Reception staff extremely helpful. Overall would recommend this hotel with high standard.
Other trip Apr 22, 2014
Carol & Jeff
"Nice hotel in quiet location"
The hotel staff were wonderful. The hotel is being renovated and that could be very loud at times with drills etc. Other than that it was a very nice hotel in a good location. It is a short walk to the main shopping areas.
Other trip Apr 17, 2014
Margaret
Good service and location a short walk from the city centre and harbour. Amazing interior with artworks everywhere.
Response by Hotel Holt
Thank you for your nice review and be very welcome back to Hotel Holt. Warm regards, Sigrún General Manager
2 night trip Mar 22, 2014
Walnut
"Nice Hotel Close To Town centre"
We had a great time. the town centre was 5 minutes walk from the hotel. only thing the food and drinks are super expensive.
Other trip Mar 29, 2014
Fred
"Comfortable hotel close to the centre of town"
We had a very enjoyable stay at the Hotel Holt. The hotel has a warm, comfortable, slightly old fashioned feeling: the public areas are all dark wood panelling, carpets, low lighting and sofas. There is also an interesting collection of paintings and sculpture by local artists and (slightly incongruously) a jukebox with a great collection of 60s and 70s rock. The rooms are modern: ours was large enough with an enormous comfortable bed and plenty of hot water in the shower. The breakfast is excellent and the staff are helpful. All in all a great hotel and one that is hard to fault.
Other trip Mar 28, 2014
Ian
"Good central hotel"
Nice welcome from friendly receptionist, good breakfast. Room quite small but comfortable
Other trip Mar 23, 2014
"Good location - near the main street"
Lovely staff, great service. Rooms were smaller than I had expected, but it was a decent hotel - clean rooms, warm showers, free wifi. The (one and only) lift is terribly small so it took us a while to get our luggage to the respective rooms,.
Other trip Mar 22, 2014
T
"location"
Lovely hotel, great location. Stayed for five nights. Staff very good. Breakfast room could do with a bit of a makeover, breakfast good but the same everyday, could do with extending hours of breakfast, as some of trips do keep you out quite late. Would recommend to any traveller
5 night romance trip Mar 15, 2014
martin
"Discreet and welcoming"
A quality hotel, from the leather upholstry and wood panelling to the quiet atmosphere. Very clean, well appointed bedrooms with comfortable beds, some rooms definitely small doubles by international hotel standards but perfectly adequate. A delicious breakfast buffet. Young friendly staff ready to help you with any issue. Great place for peace and quiet and yet only a few minutes walk from a main shopping street and the wonderful cathedral and no more than 10/12 minutes walk to the main square and the old harbour area with its many restaurants and cafes. Definitely worth its star rating.
Other trip Mar 5, 2014
"Top Hotel close to the evening action"
Went during Fun and Food week . Fantastic food at a fixed price. Very helpful staff and enjoyed some fabulous tours that hotel organised.
Other trip Mar 5, 2014
"Lovely Hotel 10 min from centre"
Lovely clean hotel. Pleasant staff, who helped sort out my Icelandic Sat.Nav and booked restaurants for us. Clean rooms, not huge , but big enough. Tea and coffee in room. Mini bar expensive ( aren't they all). Restaurant is very expensive but plenty of choice in town within easy walking distance. Bakery 50 yards up street selling croissants and coffee for simple breakfast. Small shop just around corner .
Other trip Mar 3, 2014