All hotels in San Francisco, California, United States of America
2237 Mason Street, San Francisco, CA, 94133, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Great European experience"
Stayed above our favorite Italian restaurant, Fior D'Italia. Felt like we were staying in Italy and the shapes of the rooms and the hallways and the window situations were really your unique. Didn't find the shared bathrooms a problem at all.
Other trip Dec 11, 2014
amy
"Really a hostel with private rooms."
I think this hotel is best marketed as a hostel with private rooms. I expected that my room would not have a bathroom but I didn't expect the hostel-like atmosphere - primarily with people in the hallway hanging out, eating, talking. My room was right outside the registration desk and throughout the night I heard a variety of sounds: (a) the front door buzzer (why people didn't use their key I don't know) (b) people talking to the front desk (c) people talking to each other, (d) doors opening and closing, (e) toilets flushing. After about an hour I finally downloaded a white noise app and got some restless sleep. I think this hotel is best geared towards tourists who need somewhere to keep their luggage while they go out on the town, and plan for about 4-5 hours of sleep, at best.
1 night business trip Dec 8, 2014
"Horrible 3 nights 4 days here!"
Stay away from this hotel. Was ok 5 years ago now it stinks and is filthy 24/7. Miss and hit help at front desk. Horrible room size they should only have one small bed per room. These are old prewar boarding rooms. Most rooms slant down including stairwell to upstairs. Junk everywhere . There are better hotels in area.
Other trip Dec 10, 2014
"You get what you pay for - very charming!"
Lovely charming hotel with plenty of character. Great location and friendly staff. Only criticism - hotel is fairly noisy and rooms a little cramped. For the price I recommend it and stay there again.
2 night trip Nov 11, 2014
Edward
"Upscale hostel experience"
Charming and reminded me if traveling in Europe. Has a bit of a hostel feel with shared toilets and showers, but they work hard to keep it clean and even provide disposable mats for the shower, in case you don't have flip flops. Thin walls, but they provide free earplugs! To save money and be in the heart of it all,I'd stay there again. Seem to have anything you may forget, even a blow dryer!
1 night business trip Dec 4, 2014
Arlene
"Convenient North Beach Place to Crash"
I stayed here because it was the cheapest option available on a busy weekend in the City when I was joining friends for a night out on the San Francisco Belle dinner cruise. It was close enough that I could easily walk the 30 minutes to and from Pier 3. Parking was very convenient as they have an agreement with a parking lot a block away across Bay and can validate your parking and charge it to your room bill. Very small room with WC down the hall but it was fine for my purposes. This is a very old building so you have to expect the antiquated fixtures and the sloping floor, etc. Probably a nice spot from which to walk around the Embarcardero/Fisherman's Wharf area although I didn't stick around the next day to explore. Staff was very friendly. Bed was comfortable enough but very noisy to move around on. They provide ear plugs in the room and you may want to use them if you wish to sleep in -- you will hear street noise in the morning and other guests coming and going from their rooms.
1 night trip Dec 6, 2014
"Quaint!"
This is a home built in 1906 turned into a hotel. You stay in a bedroom and you're given real keys (not cards) to open your room as well as the front door. There are 2 toilets, 2 showers, and 2 sinks on each floor for shared use. I thought this would be bothersome but I didn't mind it. It was actually pretty neat to stay in such an old place with antique furniture. This place was far cheaper than any place around and I would definitely stay here again!! **btw, there are no televisions in the rooms. Not a big deal to everyone but thought I'd mention it.
1 night business trip Dec 6, 2014
"Great location, secure - felt safe"
walking distance to Bay street - good shops, stores nearby
Other trip Dec 8, 2014
A.B.
"Lovely Euro-style Hotel"
This place exceeded my expectations! I was nervous about our reservation, our chief concern was the shared bathroom, but it turned out to be a lovely stay. At check in, the front desk woman, Ariel, took one look at my traveling companion (who is well over 6 feet tall) and told us that she would find us a room without a foot-board which he greatly appreciated. The bathroom at the end of our hall had a gorgeous tub, towels were kept on towel warmers just outside the bathrooms, and there were a myriad of other cute and quirky items provided for our stay including pillow mints, tiny boxes of raisins, earplugs, etc. Very thoughtfully put together and run.
Response by San Remo Hotel
We are considered by some to be one of San Francisco’s best kept secret, according to some of our guests and travel writers. We will let Ariel know that her efforts are appreciated. We are delighted that there were so many things that you appreciated about the San Remo Hotel. We look forward to having you visit us again. Our goal is to keep the prices affordable and be a different experience, a place you will remember for years to come.
Other trip Dec 3, 2014
Veronica
"Fun!"
Great price and location. Sharing a bathroom is interesting, but led to some great conversations with interesting people from around the world. Wish the rooms had a TV. Not sure if the penthouses have TVs or have to do the shared bathroom thing though.
3 night trip Nov 28, 2014
Aaron
"Visit"
We really enjoyed our visit to SF. Weather was great. The town was beautiful
4 night family trip Nov 27, 2014
Haywood
"Affordable Getaway"
The front desk was very helpful and we were allowed to bring our dog with us. The bed was stiff but that might not be an issue for some. The bathrooms and showers were very clean and convenient.
Response by San Remo Hotel
Thank you for your review. We will let our Front Desk Staff know that their efforts are appreciated by our guests. We look forward to serving you again when life brings you back to San Francisco.
4 night romance trip Nov 26, 2014
"One of the nicest hotels!"
Full of character & history. We'll have to return one day so as to spend more time reading all about it & looking at all the historic pictures. Small rooms, be so what? A lovely place to stay.
Other trip Dec 2, 2014
Fiona
"tiny jewel"
the rooms are tiny, but exquisitely decorated. The location is perfect for exploring north beach and the wharf area. What made this hotel extrordinary to me were the wonderful staff, who went far out of their way to accommodate our requests.they were simply fabulous,
Response by San Remo Hotel
Thank you for your review. We like to hear from all of our guests. We are very pleased you found our hotel décor to your liking, we put a lot of effort in finding the right pieces for each room. We will let our staff know that you appreciated their efforts. We hope when you come back to San Francisco you will stay with us again.
2 night romance trip Nov 23, 2014
Laurie
"Fun place"
Quirky, tiny rooms but overall very cool
2 night romance trip Nov 20, 2014
christian
"A great bargin hotel in San Francisco?"
A one night stay, in a hotel close to Fisherman's Wharf and the Alcatraz Tour. I've stayed there several times and keep going back. It's in North Beach, easy walking up to China Town or to the Wharf and Embarcadero attractions. The rooms are not en suite, but the facilities are first rate clean, and the savings in price more than makes up for the shot walk down the hall.
Response by San Remo Hotel
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. Yes, there are still affordable places to stay in San Francisco, and we are one of them. It is great when our “neighbors” from San Jose stay with us, we are the perfect place to spend the night instead of driving back. When you have an event, stay as late as you want, knowing you have a good place to sleep close by.
1 night trip with friends Nov 21, 2014
"Great European type hotel."
We really enjoy the "European type" hotel. The location was great - very close to the Wharf, cable cars, restaurants, etc. I definitely would stay again. Loved the "massage" chairs. The restaurant and bar right next door were wonderful. The staff was very pleasant and helpful.
2 night family trip Nov 19, 2014
lynn
"don't forget to check out the massage chair!"
In general we were amazed with how the hotel looks inside as soon as we entered for registration. It's really historic, and even my friend who doesn't care for this kinda style was amazed, as far as me, I am a sucker for old artifacts in rooms and corridors, especially in San Francisco. The rooms is small, literally only bed and us can fit in it, but it is well worth the price. My friend didn't think the bed was comfortable, so i put a 3. Also there was no lotion in the bathroom on the first floor, I wish it was, but it's really no big deal. The staff are awesome. they are really friendly and helpful, and dedicated. Also, if you choose to stay and San Remo - make sure you check out their massage chair! I am not a sucker for massage chairs, but that one was really awesome!
3 night trip with friends Nov 13, 2014
yanina
"San Remo Hotel"
The Hotel Remo was a nice stay. The only complaint is the hardness of the mattresses. The hotel in my opinion would be excellent if the beds were comfortable.
1 night family trip Nov 15, 2014
Dana
The hotel and hotel room were not what I am accustomed to. There were no tv's, no A/C, and a community bathroom and community shower on each floor. The room was very hot so I was forced to leave the window open all night. It was very loud outside and there were no window screens on the windows. I might as well slept on the wood floor because the mattress was outdated and not comfortable. I am not one to complain but I would not recommend this hotel to friends of mine. Sorry.
"Really neat experience!"
It was so neat to be in such an well kept old fashioned hotel and get a feel of what it was like "back in the day", early as 1904. Definitely not wheelchair accessible or for anyone who cannot tolerate the stairs, narrow hallways, and sharing bathrooms, but really a fun experience and great location if up for a different flair! Receptionist took a long time getting me a room...30 minutes even though I had booked on line. To date, I have not received my receipt even though I requested it on a postcard. No one there before 8 am to give you a print out receipt.
"Cheap Accommodations"
Great location but poor customer service at front desk and wifi did not work at an acceptable speed and would often disconnect.
4 night trip with friends Nov 11, 2014
The stay in this hotel took me to another place. It felt so homey and warm. I will definitely be back!
"Sweet"
Excellent price for what you get-- room is small but no big deal-- close to restaurants and shopping Walls kinda thin- was woken up at 3 am by some sounds of some love making in the next room - but hey thats fine- Overall great
1 night family trip Nov 12, 2014
PATRICK
"Charming, historic hotel"
Although we live in San Francisco, we needed a place to stay for a few days because of a flood in our building. The price was right at the San Remo and this turned out to be a lovely experience. We were truly impressed by this unique hotel. While we had been worried about the prospect of shared bathrooms and showers, this didn't end up being such a problem after all; there were plenty to go around and they felt private once you were in them. We also had a sink in our room, which helped. The rooms were certainly on the small side but the antique furniture and attention to details more than made up for for the small size. We also appreciated the tea and coffee that were in the lobby throughout the day. If you like historic hotels that are managed with care and pride as a family business, this is the place for you! We are pleased to have discovered the San Remo so we can recommend it to friends who visit from out of town.
1 night family trip Nov 12, 2014
"Staff too rude for me."
San Remo was a cute hotel. Great location. The rooms were clean. I don't think I would stay there again because the staff was so rude and not very helpful except to Lauren she was great.
2 night romance trip Nov 5, 2014
"Great experience"
What a quaint & totally San Francisco-esque experience! Rooms were clean, bathrooms were clean, peole were friendly and helpful!
1 night business trip Nov 6, 2014
Laurey
"San Remo stay"
Brilliant place to stay, Clean and restful while being close to the action and trams.
3 night romance trip Nov 1, 2014
Sekio
"old world charm and great price!"
wonderful, quaint hotel. felt like home. easy to find, and parking is only a block away. staff was super friendly! room was very small but with so many things to do in sam fran, it was literally just a place to sleep. the bed was very comfy. shared bathroom/shower was no issue whatsoever! we'll definitely stay here again. it's in a great location - lots of attractions/food options within walking distance - and for the area the price is a steal!
1 night romance trip Nov 4, 2014
"good value"
room seemed like one of the smallest in entire hotel. meighborhood not that safe at night/ Italian restaurant great
3 night business trip Oct 30, 2014
"Charming Value on Quiet Street"
Great value in a great location. Jennifer at the desk was most helpful. Hotel is cluttered but clean and fun.
1 night trip Oct 29, 2014
Carolyn
"Close to everything location"
My experience at the hotel was great. I felt right at home. Expedia over charged me like $27 a night so I will call hotels direct next time.
Other trip Oct 31, 2014
Reedrick
"San Remo Hotel"
Hotel is in an ideal location. All the staff were really helpful.
3 night romance trip Oct 23, 2014
katie
Very close to fishermans wharf, Chinatown & Coit tower.
Other trip Oct 26, 2014
"Charming European style hotel excellent location"
Absolutely loved San Remo. Charming atmosphere, excellent location and personable, helpful staff. It could not have been more perfect for access to cable car, Fisherman's Wharf and of course the Buena Vista for Irish coffee.
2 night trip Oct 19, 2014
mc
"Good place to stay!"
Good Location we were able to walk every where we wanted to go.
Other trip Oct 20, 2014
"A good and basic hotel."
Went to Fisherman's Wharf for Navy Fleet Week. The hotel is basic, with showers and bathrooms down the hall. The room is clean. At night, there is a little bit of noise, but it stops later on. This is not a Hilton type of hotel, but it is clean and walking distance to the wharf.
3 night trip with friends Oct 10, 2014
Benedict
"Location! Location! Location!"
Perfect spot for friendly travelers. Embracing the history of this hotel, you will appreciate the quirky-ness of this quaint throwback to another time. Our room had a sink, but no shower - so you get to know the other guests as you meander down the hallways to cute, but very private commodes and shower accommodations. The staff is great, friendly and knowledgeable. We will stay here again the next time we are in SF!
Response by San Remo Hotel
Thank you for your comments. We want our guest to experience a very different hotel in a great location at affordable prices. We love decorating with new artwork and furniture and finding the right piece for each corner in the hotel. We hope you will return when your travels bring you back to San Francisco.
1 night romance trip Oct 7, 2014
RW
"Wonderful location"
Just fantastic having the Italian restaurant below. It has wonderful staff and a enjoyable bar. The hotel is very cool, even though you share the bathrooms, the heated towels and clean showers makes for a nice stay.
Other trip Oct 15, 2014
J
"Ok hotel"
We stayed 2 nights and it worked fine if you didn't want any downtime in the room. Super small, no TV and the internet didn't work in our room. Would of preferred my own bath but it was fine. Not good for children. Could stay again but probably won't. Staff awesome and helpful.
Other trip Oct 4, 2014
gramma of 12
"Close to Fisherman's Wharf"
For two nights' stay close to Fisherman's Wharf, Pier 39, and Chinatown, the San Remo was a perfect choice for our family of 3. Shuttle service to and from the airport worked flawlessly. The hotel was very close to both a trader Joe's supermarket as well as a Safeway with a great deli. In the hotel, going down the hallway to shower or use the toilet took a little adjustment, but the accommodations were adequate and certainly less expensive than name brand hotels in the area. Would we stay at the San Remo again? Yes, absolutely yes!
Other trip Sep 27, 2014
Kaye
"small but clean and convenient"
Rooms are very small and bathrooms are shared but rooms are clean, bathrooms are very well kept, well located and never crowded. Staff was very helpful. Hotel is very quaint and charming. About a 4 or 5 block walk from the Wharf and on a cable car line for other sightseeing.
2 night trip Sep 14, 2014
Husband & Wife travelers
"Great location, clean and friendly"
Sure, rooms are a bit small, but with a location like this who's in their room? Classy historical building meticulously kept.
Response by San Remo Hotel
Thank you for your review. We are located in a "Walker's Paradise", you can walk to many of our main attractions in San Francisco. Hope you will come back for more exploring.
1 night trip Sep 6, 2014
"overnighter"
For one night, it was ok. However, I didn't realize or know that the sinks are just right there out in the hallway. I also wasn't aware how small the rooms themselves would be. The mattress they use were a little too hard for my back to sleep on. The best thing was how close the hotel was to Pier 39 and Fisherman's Wharf.
1 night trip Sep 6, 2014
H. I>
"A closet"
I payed over $100 for a closet with no tv , bathroom / should be around $45 for only a bed / that is the true value / of sleep use the earplugs too a lot of street noise ...,,, my worse place ever
Response by San Remo Hotel
We are known for being the best budget Hotel in San Francisco. We offer a clean and comfortable hotel at the best rate for the value in the Fisherman’s Wharf area. San Francisco is an expensive city to visit. We gathered together some citywide and local market average daily rates* and what we found is that we are still the best value in our area (Fisherman’s Wharf). San Francisco/San Mateo citywide is $240.31 per night and in Fisherman’s Wharf we found that the Average Daily Rate was $295.00 per night. *Sources are SF Travel
1 night trip Sep 5, 2014
Stewart
the best !! the ambience of bygone era ........ the location...........
Response by San Remo Hotel
We are here to provide the best experience possible for our guests in a historic setting. Thank you for your review and hope you will return when your travels bring you back to San Francisco.
1 night trip Aug 9, 2014
"San Remo August 2014"
Overall experience was OK. This hotel is not for anyone that needs a wheel chair. No elevators. Toilets and showers are small. Reception is one flight of stairs up from street level. Rooms are small and cramped. There is a restaurant on the first floor. My room (#30) was right above the kitchen, so it was very noisy until 11:00 PM. Monday, Wednesday, and Friday is trash pickup, so expect to be awakened at 5:30 AM by the garbage truck in the alley outside (crashing bottles and dumping of many trash bins). Now for the good news... Hotel location could not be better. Close to everything. Hotel staff are great. Housekeeping does a great job. Rooms are not air conditioned. Be sure to get a room that has a window to the outside. Interior rooms have windows to the hallways for air circulation. Security is good. No phones, TV's, or refrigerators in rooms. Think of it as a college dorm.
Other trip Aug 9, 2014
"San Remo"
This is such a lovely historic hotel at a close walk to Fisherman's Wharf, bike rentals, trolley, etc. The rooms were small but immaculate. We were a little worried about sharing a bathroom at first, but the staff was great and kept the shower and toilet areas very clean. You may need to use the earplugs provided if you are not visiting from an urban area yourself. We were on the water street side of the hotel. The garbage trucks and children next door were loud at times. There is a restaurant downstairs and they smashed glass bottles outside of outside of our window very early in the morning.
4 night trip Jul 26, 2014
"Good price with strategic location"
Comfortable, love the hotel and room deco, love the coffee serve in the morning and the staff is friendly and helpful as well.
1 night trip with friends Aug 1, 2014
YuAi
"Small room but Amazing large claw Tub experience."
Only trbl we had was the parking lot was full for a few hours due to the marathon so we had to park a few blocks away until the parking lot opened. When you get their just drive up to the front and unload and check in they will set you up quickly.
1 night trip Jul 26, 2014