All hotels in Newport, Rhode Island, United States of America
41 Mary St, Newport, RI, 02840, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

4.8
    4.9
    4.8
"Fabulous location with awesome roof top bar!"
We booked the "captain's loft"...2 levels...top level is comfy king bed with modern bath...lower level is sitting area with pull out sofa and half bath. All very nice and clean. Staff was cheerful, location is excellent!
1 night trip with friends May 30, 2015
"Fix the AC"
Hotel entrance and lobby was very nice.. personal very courteous. Room was clean. The AC was extremely noisy. Waking my wife and I multiple times per night. Bed was a bit soft.. requires more pillows for that size bed. Overall it was a pleasant experience.
1 night romance trip Apr 16, 2015
"Great spot but rooftop was closed"
Hotel was great but rooftop was closed (mechanical maintenance issues)
1 night romance trip Apr 18, 2015
"Nice getaway"
Had a very nice stay, we stayed in the Captain's Loft, it was perfect for our family of three. My daughter enjoyed staying on the main floor, plenty of space for everyone and very pretty. Location was great, could walk to many stores and attractions.
2 night family trip Apr 7, 2015
Grace
The hotel was a wonderful hidden gem. It was so much more interesting than the pictures posted online. Will definitely visit again
Other trip Apr 4, 2015
"An Incredibly Lovely Stay"
Just stayed for the weekend for our tenth anniversary - it was truly a lovely experience. The staff is so attentive, and the little touches made it truly extraordinary. From cookies at our bedside each night, the hot water bottle in our bed, the luxurious robes, the water bottles in the car when we picked it up - everything just told us we were well taken care of. The staff is so attentive, we were treated as if we were staying with friends. The hotel is clean, right in the middle of town, gorgeous views - I would definitely stay here again. Loved everything!
2 night romance trip Mar 20, 2015
Stacy
"Treat yourself"
This is my favorite hotel in Newport. The staff are super friendly and accommodating. They seem to recreate the feel of mansions in the gilded age which Newport is known for. Great dining at the hotel but also easy walks to restaurants all around town. Not my first stay and won't be my last...
2 night family trip Mar 12, 2015
Whitneyl
"Excellent hotel"
Everything was great, the staff was very friendly and courteous. My girlfriend and I ate breakfast there and it was delicious. The French toast was fantastic.
2 night romance trip Jan 3, 2015
Jack
"The Best of the Best!"
We have been celebrating Thanksgiving at various locations with our two daughters since they were 4 and 6. We are still following this tradition some 40 years later except they now have families and we have continued this tradition. Of all the locations that we have stayed at over the years, the Vanderbilt Grace was the best of the best. We look forward to returning to this hotel not just for Thanksgiving but for our vacation during the summer. It is GREAT!
3 night family trip Nov 27, 2014
"Very nice getaway"
Wife and I went here for a night to escape our 5 year old and celebrate our 10th anniversary. Hotel was very nice and is very short walking distance to shops and waterfront. Staff was super accommodating! Only gripe was our room was too warm for us and we couldn't get the thermostat to work.
1 night romance trip Oct 25, 2014
My wife and I spent two nights here on our honeymoon - a truly romantic and special experience! The staff was so kind and thoughtful - even putting water bottles in the cup holders of our car when we picked it up from the valet! We also recommend the massages offered at the spa!
Other trip Oct 16, 2014
Amazing Hotel, Awesome Staff!
2 night trip Aug 15, 2014
"European Grace"
High end European hotels, particularly those in Greece, pride themselves on their high quality customer service. This small hotel chain (Grace), with 2 hotels in Greece, clearly prides themselves on following the principle that the customer comes first. It has been rare to experience this type of service in the US. From a pre-visit call asking about dinner reservations, to champagne as we checked in, to a wonderful European-style breakfast in the morning, and to the staff who were willing to help at any turn, I strongly recommend this hotel for any sort of retreat from the real world into the "graceful" relaxation provided by a stay here.
1 night trip Mar 15, 2014
DK
"Great weekend visit!"
Beautiful retreat and convenient to walk anywhere in Newport. Rooms were beautiful and spacious. Would go back in a heartbeat.
2 night business trip Dec 27, 2013
"Perfect trip"
I can't express in words how happy we were. We're going back soon.
1 night romance trip Dec 14, 2013
"Beautiful hotel in the center of town….."
Gorgeous historical hotel on a lovely street in the center of Newport. and very sweet, helpful and knowledgable young staff. Loved the incredible home-made chocolates and peanut brittle they brought to your room for 'turn-down'.
Other trip Nov 28, 2013
Cassandra
"This place is the bomb!"
May be my favorite place to stay ever. They heard me say it was husband's birthday and sent up a bottle of wine to our room. The rooms are fab - clean, serene, comfortable, nice amenities included - the little things, like fresh apples, bottled water, glass of champagne on arrival and at breakfast - all complimentary. The roof deck has a beautiful view of the shops and restaurants of Newport and the water and bridge. We didn't spend much time there this time (since it was November), but this would be a huge plus in the warmer months. There is a bar up there and adirondack chairs facing 180 degrees. We are hoping to make bi-annual trips to the Vanderbilt Grace.
Other trip Nov 18, 2013
"Beautiful hotel, but leaves much to be desired"
Vanderbilt Grace is an architecturally lovely hotel in a perfect location. The staff is friendly and very attentive. Comfortable bed and amenities such as a pillow menu and aromatherapy make for a feeling of luxury. However, there were several disappointments. The rug in our room was stained, and the extra blanket was pilled and contained many long hairs from prior guests. Our junior suite was rated for 3 guests, however, this required use of the single most uncomfortable pullout I've ever tried. I would not have minded so much had there not been a significant upcharge for a 3rd guest in the room. Television in the bedroom was unwatchable due to horrible reception. Room service was prompt, but the heavily salted food was left mostly untouched by our family of three. I expected much more from a hotel charging these rates. Four stars based upon the hotel alone; 3 stars when one factors in the rates.
Other trip Oct 20, 2013
Babs
"Good Service"
Overall service was strong. The rest of the hotel didn't deserve such high points specially relative to price. Pool was hardly a pool and the gym was so-so. Room didn't have separate beds and dormers were inconveniently low.
2 night family trip Oct 11, 2013
"DH"
Great hotel and great experience!
1 night trip Sep 25, 2013
Dennis
"Lovely but too small of a room for luxury hotel"
we had a great time and would go back but next time will tell them we want a bigger room-at first it was ok but then we kept running into each other and it became frustrating and too late to bother asking for a different room
3 night romance trip Aug 27, 2013
"Weekend Getaway"
My husband and I have been to Newport every summer and decided to try a new hotel." Good choice" The feel of the hotel was welcoming and comfortable. Staff was friendly and accomadating. The room was beautiful, and clean. Breakfast was wonderful in the courtyard, with fresh fruit, great coffee and pastries. The Garden that surrounded the "breakfast area" provided a relaxing setting. The rooftop deck , gorgeous!!! A MUST SEE. Needless to say, I am booking my next visit to Newport at Vanderbuilt Grace.
Other trip Aug 13, 2013
"nice hotel with a personal touch"
I stayed for two nights. I came in exhausted and left refreshed. The staff went above and beyond to make the stay enoyable. The level of detail was unparalleled. The staff was informative and courteous. It was a very busy holiday weekend yet the hotel did not feel overcrowded or busy. The room was lovely. I highly recommend this hotel and will consider another grace property for future travels.
Other trip Jul 8, 2013
"Amazing...HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!"
I didn't know what to expect of the Vanderbilt Grace, but I was overly impressed with the entire hotel. I must admit that I tried to stay at a different hotel, which had no vacancy and took a chance considering the reviews. The hotel was a perfect compliment to my Newport trip. It was a smaller boutique hotel, small enough that you felt individual attention, yet large enough that you had your own personal space and comfort. I loved the staff who always were accommodating, had great recommendations, and the manager who personally introduced herself upon our arrival (nice touch). I will return to this hotel any and every time I am in Newport!
2 night trip Jun 14, 2013
"Really top flight staff."
Extremely comfortable and well appointed. Great location. The real gem though was the staff. Very attentive and friendly without being obtrusive. They were very adept at anticipating my families needs even before we knew it ourselves.
Other trip May 27, 2013
elegant mansion near the main strip of downtown. great staff with impeccable service. overall great stay. would come back again
1 night romance trip May 17, 2013
"Luxury for today with a respect for yesterday"
It exceeded our expectations; while not an ocean view locale, this hotel is so fine in terms of beauty and service, we were thrilled! A bonus is being able to walk all around town right out of the front entry. The comfort, cleanliness and quality of everything is first rate. The food... divine!
1 night trip Apr 20, 2013
Carol W.
Great Find. Highly recommend.
1 night trip Feb 1, 2013
"loft suite not so sweet"
We were disappointed in the loft suite we had. There was not much that was sweet about it. The space was put together from a smallish hotel room added to attic space (the loft). The bedroom itself has no windows, only skylight. There is no closet, not even a chair. The downstairs bathroom is a small half bath. I felt that we had paid a lot for a not very pleasant space. Had I known what the space is like, I would never have booked it.
1 night trip Sep 22, 2012
trophywife
"Felt right at home at the Vanderbilt Grace."
This hotel has a superb in town location. The rooftop lounge area has a spectacular view at sunset. Enjoyed our breakfasts in the open courtyard as well as after dinner drinks in the main floor bar area. The landscaping and the main floor of the hotel are very attractive. We particularly appreciated the care taken by the front desk and concierge staff. Both Joseph and Rachel made our stay wonderful by situating us in our rooms, securing dinner reservations and directing us around town. Would definitely return to the Vanderbilt Grace.
Other trip Sep 3, 2012
Alicia
"Updated charm"
Efficient staff, comfortable rooms, convenient location.
Other trip Aug 7, 2012

"Close to 5 stars"
Well located close to all the Newport attractions. The service is excellent.
2 night family trip Jun 27, 2013

"Hotel très bien situé et confortable"
Deux nuits à Newport très reposantes dans cet hôtel très bien situé au coeur de cette jolie petite ville typique de la Nouvelle Angleterre, mais assez en retrait pour être au calme.
Other trip Oct 23, 2014
StarBoard
FR
"impeccabile da tutti i punti di vista!"
Posizione ideale per visitare a piedi la cittadina, servizio eccellente con personale gentilissimo, camere comode e spaziose.
1 night family trip Oct 3, 2013
2 night romance trip Jul 12, 2013

TripAdvisor reviews for The Vanderbilt Grace

"Value Not There"
07/23/15 John R Hingham, Massachusetts
My wife and I stayed there four nights for the fourth year. While the service was quite good, the quality of the hotel is slipping. The room HVAC was so loud that every time the unit turned on you were awoken. The safe in the room did not work and needed to be replaced. One morning there was a private breakfast in the Conservatory and the only outlet open was Muse. The temperature in Muse was 79 degrees and no one knew how to override the energy management system. The first night we arrived the bathrobes were damp. The last night we had to ask to have the room made-up at 5:00 pm even after being out during the day. That night, we were only given two bath towels. The carpets in the lobby area are starting to cry for replacement. On the plus side, the roof deck was a great place to have a drink and the breakfast was reasonably priced and very good. Given the hefty price of a room, the value is no longer there.
"Elegant hotel with wonderful rooftop bar"
07/14/15 Helen W Wales
My husband and I have just returned from honeymoon in New England, where we stayed at The Vanderbilt Grace for two nights in July. The staff are wonderfully polite and friendly, rooms are beautifully decorated and clean with all the mod-cons, cocktails and views from the rooftop bar are incredible, and the location is superb. Despite being part of a chain, the hotel has a real independent feel to it and offers a personal service. They even upgraded us to a beautiful suite and had a bottle of wine on ice for our arrival because we were on honeymoon. These type of gestures are so appreciated and we'd definitely stay at The Vanderbilt Grace (and consider its sister hotels) again as a result of this superb level of attention to detail.
"Not worth the price"
07/12/15 twocatmom Washington DC, District of Columbia
We had a suite which was spacious but the furniture was very old. Tables had numerous water stains. We supposedly had a "view"of the water but it was in the distance. Our view was of a large parking lot with a sliver of water behind it. The windows were so dirty that what you could see what almost obscured Service at the restaurant was remarkably slow. Air conditioner in bedroom was extremely loud when it kicked on. It woke us a few times. We would not stay here again.
"Great location, average hotel"
07/07/15 sybarite4 Atlanta, GA
Choosing a hotel in Newport, RI is tricky business. There are quaint B&B's, small inns, and large chain hotels all vying for attention...and many are hard to judge online. Truly, it becomes a question of personal priorities. For my trip, walkability to restaurants was the top priority, with luxury coming in at a close second -- my choice was The Vanderbilt Grace. For location, this small property was excellent. Just off the main drag, it was a quick walk to all the in-town dining and shopping, and just a couple blocks from the water. That being said, it's not on the water. For views, ask for the 4th floor and/or settle for a cocktail on the rooftop bar (weather permitting). And although you may need a car to get to some of the mansions, the location was excellent for walking/running. As for luxury, I'll admit I was concerned when I entered the lobby. Despite being stylishly decorated, the hotel looked a bit worn; carpets seemed old and the place could use a fresh coat of paint around the doors and stairs. Fortunately, the rooms have obviously had a recent update. Clean, fresh, and spacious, the rooms were exactly what they portrayed online. Beds were comfortable, sheets were of good quality, bathrooms nice. The rooms would have earned an "excellent" stamp if it were not for three small, but significant, features. 1. The bathroom shelves are much too narrow to accommodate toiletries safely. In fact, one of our narrow shelves was slanted towards the floor! This should be a cheap fix for the property. 2. The A/C units were exceptionally loud when they turned on, and it always seemed like our room was either too hot or too cold. This was my toughest issue. 3. If you're on a lower floor, as I was, your view may very well be a parking lot and/or dumpster. This can be avoided by asking for a poolside room, or a room on the 4th floor. As for the remainder of the property, the breakfast restaurant was charming, reasonably priced, and had very good food. There was no need to go elsewhere, always a pleasant surprise. In addition, on a nice day you can eat on the lushly landscaped back patio, a real treat. Their formal restaurant, MUSE, was pretty, and has good reviews, but it was empty our entire stay so we skipped it, choosing more lively options. Service is the last thing I'll address, and this is a tricky one. Everyone working at the hotel was exceptionally pleasant, but it's a young staff and there were small issues, things like towels not being replaced, no one available to drive the hotel car, and inappropriate music being played at breakfast. Nothing that was a deal-breaker, and all fixed upon request (except the car issue), but it was obvious that the real issue is the lack of a more experienced supervisor in attendance. Overall, the Vanderbilt Grace has the makings of a great property, but if it wants to live up to the "Vanderbilt" name, it needs a little more attention. Restaurant recommendations: Stoneacre Pantry, Tallulah, White Horse Tavern
"Perfection in the Heart of Newport"
07/06/15 Bonnie S Ann Arbor, Michigan
We loved our two-night stay at Vanderbilt Grace! My only regret is that we didn’t stay longer. Our spacious captain’s loft suite (room 302) had a sitting area, half bath, and mini-kitchenette on the first floor; and a bedroom and full bath on the first floor. It was comfortable, airy, and bright, with skylights bringing in plenty of natural light. The hotel is in a terrific location — nearby, but secluded from bustling Thames Street. You can walk to Newport’s best restaurants in less than five minutes. The staff was friendly, approachable, and always willing to help. We arrived after midnight on a weeknight, and were warmly welcomed and in our room within minutes. Room service was speedy and reasonably priced. We enjoyed our delicious breakfast!
"Excellent hotel in a former Newport grand house"
07/05/15 Barbmel London
The hotel was charming, in a good location, with very comfortable accommodation and very nice staff. Within walking distance are restaurant, shops, the nearby harbour and also a very nice area full of very pretty streets full of lovely 18th century houses.
"Amazing Grace"
07/04/15 Shawt58 Bury, United Kingdom
We have just returned from our stay at this absolutely charming boutique hotel perfectly located to enjoy the sights of Newport. The accommodation in elegant house was near perfection and the service likewise, with nothing being too much trouble. The rooms are appointed to a very high standard with the only issue being not adequate wardrobe space. We also enjoyed the rooftop bar of an evening which provides fabulous views over the harbour with a nice cool drink in your hand. We on a couple had the pleasure of speaking with Marina who really wanted to ensure we had the most enjoyable stay, which we certainly did. The treatment we received from the moment we arrived with the valet parking to the moment we left was indeed first class. Thanks to all for a wonderful three days.
"Wonderful boutique hotel"
07/02/15 Patrick W Ottawa, Ontario, Canada
Just spent a few days at the Vanderbilt Grace and really enjoyed my stay. This property has everything one should expect from a luxury boutique hotel: great service, a unique setting, charming atmosphere, and well-appointed rooms. We loved the location, which is just steps away from historic Newport and its charming shops and gourmet restaurants.
"Secret Find"
06/22/15 LSUGIRLNOLA New Orleans, Louisiana
I had read the reviews about The Conservatory restaurant and wanted to check it out. It was closed, so we visited the bar for a cocktail. The bartender informed us about the rooftop deck, so we checked it out. What an unexpected find. We sat in Adirondack chairs and took in the expansive views of the harbor and town. We could have missed all of this if it wasn't for the bartender.
"Wonderful Anniversary stay!"
06/18/15 Matt B Flint, Michigan
My wife and I stayed here for our 5th Anniversary, and we had a fabulous time. We were surprised with a bottle of wine and fresh cookies in our room on arrival, and everyone in the hotel was accommodating and friendly. The service was absolutely top notch, some of the best we have ever seen. We loved the convenience and location within walking distance to so many things in Newport. I would recommend this hotel to anyone and hope to have the pleasure of staying again here some day! Thank you to everyone at the Grace who helped make our special weekend!