All hotels in Newport, Rhode Island, United States of America

4.8
    4.9
    4.8
"Beyond our expectations"
I was blown away by the service. Couldn't beat the location. Sunset view from the rooftop was spectacular. It was my first time to Newport and I can't imagine staying anywhere else. Felt great to be treated special.
2 night romance trip Aug 3, 2015
Greg
"Fabulous location with awesome roof top bar!"
We booked the "captain's loft"...2 levels...top level is comfy king bed with modern bath...lower level is sitting area with pull out sofa and half bath. All very nice and clean. Staff was cheerful, location is excellent!
1 night trip with friends May 30, 2015
"Fix the AC"
Hotel entrance and lobby was very nice.. personal very courteous. Room was clean. The AC was extremely noisy. Waking my wife and I multiple times per night. Bed was a bit soft.. requires more pillows for that size bed. Overall it was a pleasant experience.
1 night romance trip Apr 16, 2015
"Great spot but rooftop was closed"
Hotel was great but rooftop was closed (mechanical maintenance issues)
1 night romance trip Apr 18, 2015
"Nice getaway"
Had a very nice stay, we stayed in the Captain's Loft, it was perfect for our family of three. My daughter enjoyed staying on the main floor, plenty of space for everyone and very pretty. Location was great, could walk to many stores and attractions.
2 night family trip Apr 7, 2015
Grace
The hotel was a wonderful hidden gem. It was so much more interesting than the pictures posted online. Will definitely visit again
Other trip Apr 4, 2015
"An Incredibly Lovely Stay"
Just stayed for the weekend for our tenth anniversary - it was truly a lovely experience. The staff is so attentive, and the little touches made it truly extraordinary. From cookies at our bedside each night, the hot water bottle in our bed, the luxurious robes, the water bottles in the car when we picked it up - everything just told us we were well taken care of. The staff is so attentive, we were treated as if we were staying with friends. The hotel is clean, right in the middle of town, gorgeous views - I would definitely stay here again. Loved everything!
2 night romance trip Mar 20, 2015
Stacy
"Treat yourself"
This is my favorite hotel in Newport. The staff are super friendly and accommodating. They seem to recreate the feel of mansions in the gilded age which Newport is known for. Great dining at the hotel but also easy walks to restaurants all around town. Not my first stay and won't be my last...
2 night family trip Mar 12, 2015
Whitneyl
"Excellent hotel"
Everything was great, the staff was very friendly and courteous. My girlfriend and I ate breakfast there and it was delicious. The French toast was fantastic.
2 night romance trip Jan 3, 2015
Jack
"The Best of the Best!"
We have been celebrating Thanksgiving at various locations with our two daughters since they were 4 and 6. We are still following this tradition some 40 years later except they now have families and we have continued this tradition. Of all the locations that we have stayed at over the years, the Vanderbilt Grace was the best of the best. We look forward to returning to this hotel not just for Thanksgiving but for our vacation during the summer. It is GREAT!
3 night family trip Nov 27, 2014
"Very nice getaway"
Wife and I went here for a night to escape our 5 year old and celebrate our 10th anniversary. Hotel was very nice and is very short walking distance to shops and waterfront. Staff was super accommodating! Only gripe was our room was too warm for us and we couldn't get the thermostat to work.
1 night romance trip Oct 25, 2014
My wife and I spent two nights here on our honeymoon - a truly romantic and special experience! The staff was so kind and thoughtful - even putting water bottles in the cup holders of our car when we picked it up from the valet! We also recommend the massages offered at the spa!
Other trip Oct 16, 2014
Amazing Hotel, Awesome Staff!
2 night trip Aug 15, 2014
"European Grace"
High end European hotels, particularly those in Greece, pride themselves on their high quality customer service. This small hotel chain (Grace), with 2 hotels in Greece, clearly prides themselves on following the principle that the customer comes first. It has been rare to experience this type of service in the US. From a pre-visit call asking about dinner reservations, to champagne as we checked in, to a wonderful European-style breakfast in the morning, and to the staff who were willing to help at any turn, I strongly recommend this hotel for any sort of retreat from the real world into the "graceful" relaxation provided by a stay here.
1 night trip Mar 15, 2014
DK
"Great weekend visit!"
Beautiful retreat and convenient to walk anywhere in Newport. Rooms were beautiful and spacious. Would go back in a heartbeat.
2 night business trip Dec 27, 2013
"Perfect trip"
I can't express in words how happy we were. We're going back soon.
1 night romance trip Dec 14, 2013
"Beautiful hotel in the center of town….."
Gorgeous historical hotel on a lovely street in the center of Newport. and very sweet, helpful and knowledgable young staff. Loved the incredible home-made chocolates and peanut brittle they brought to your room for 'turn-down'.
Other trip Nov 28, 2013
Cassandra
"This place is the bomb!"
May be my favorite place to stay ever. They heard me say it was husband's birthday and sent up a bottle of wine to our room. The rooms are fab - clean, serene, comfortable, nice amenities included - the little things, like fresh apples, bottled water, glass of champagne on arrival and at breakfast - all complimentary. The roof deck has a beautiful view of the shops and restaurants of Newport and the water and bridge. We didn't spend much time there this time (since it was November), but this would be a huge plus in the warmer months. There is a bar up there and adirondack chairs facing 180 degrees. We are hoping to make bi-annual trips to the Vanderbilt Grace.
Other trip Nov 18, 2013
"Beautiful hotel, but leaves much to be desired"
Vanderbilt Grace is an architecturally lovely hotel in a perfect location. The staff is friendly and very attentive. Comfortable bed and amenities such as a pillow menu and aromatherapy make for a feeling of luxury. However, there were several disappointments. The rug in our room was stained, and the extra blanket was pilled and contained many long hairs from prior guests. Our junior suite was rated for 3 guests, however, this required use of the single most uncomfortable pullout I've ever tried. I would not have minded so much had there not been a significant upcharge for a 3rd guest in the room. Television in the bedroom was unwatchable due to horrible reception. Room service was prompt, but the heavily salted food was left mostly untouched by our family of three. I expected much more from a hotel charging these rates. Four stars based upon the hotel alone; 3 stars when one factors in the rates.
Other trip Oct 20, 2013
Babs
"Good Service"
Overall service was strong. The rest of the hotel didn't deserve such high points specially relative to price. Pool was hardly a pool and the gym was so-so. Room didn't have separate beds and dormers were inconveniently low.
2 night family trip Oct 11, 2013
"DH"
Great hotel and great experience!
1 night trip Sep 25, 2013
Dennis
"Lovely but too small of a room for luxury hotel"
we had a great time and would go back but next time will tell them we want a bigger room-at first it was ok but then we kept running into each other and it became frustrating and too late to bother asking for a different room
3 night romance trip Aug 27, 2013
"Weekend Getaway"
My husband and I have been to Newport every summer and decided to try a new hotel." Good choice" The feel of the hotel was welcoming and comfortable. Staff was friendly and accomadating. The room was beautiful, and clean. Breakfast was wonderful in the courtyard, with fresh fruit, great coffee and pastries. The Garden that surrounded the "breakfast area" provided a relaxing setting. The rooftop deck , gorgeous!!! A MUST SEE. Needless to say, I am booking my next visit to Newport at Vanderbuilt Grace.
Other trip Aug 13, 2013
"nice hotel with a personal touch"
I stayed for two nights. I came in exhausted and left refreshed. The staff went above and beyond to make the stay enoyable. The level of detail was unparalleled. The staff was informative and courteous. It was a very busy holiday weekend yet the hotel did not feel overcrowded or busy. The room was lovely. I highly recommend this hotel and will consider another grace property for future travels.
Other trip Jul 8, 2013
"Amazing...HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!"
I didn't know what to expect of the Vanderbilt Grace, but I was overly impressed with the entire hotel. I must admit that I tried to stay at a different hotel, which had no vacancy and took a chance considering the reviews. The hotel was a perfect compliment to my Newport trip. It was a smaller boutique hotel, small enough that you felt individual attention, yet large enough that you had your own personal space and comfort. I loved the staff who always were accommodating, had great recommendations, and the manager who personally introduced herself upon our arrival (nice touch). I will return to this hotel any and every time I am in Newport!
2 night trip Jun 14, 2013
"Really top flight staff."
Extremely comfortable and well appointed. Great location. The real gem though was the staff. Very attentive and friendly without being obtrusive. They were very adept at anticipating my families needs even before we knew it ourselves.
Other trip May 27, 2013
elegant mansion near the main strip of downtown. great staff with impeccable service. overall great stay. would come back again
1 night romance trip May 17, 2013
"Luxury for today with a respect for yesterday"
It exceeded our expectations; while not an ocean view locale, this hotel is so fine in terms of beauty and service, we were thrilled! A bonus is being able to walk all around town right out of the front entry. The comfort, cleanliness and quality of everything is first rate. The food... divine!
1 night trip Apr 20, 2013
Carol W.
Great Find. Highly recommend.
1 night trip Feb 1, 2013
"loft suite not so sweet"
We were disappointed in the loft suite we had. There was not much that was sweet about it. The space was put together from a smallish hotel room added to attic space (the loft). The bedroom itself has no windows, only skylight. There is no closet, not even a chair. The downstairs bathroom is a small half bath. I felt that we had paid a lot for a not very pleasant space. Had I known what the space is like, I would never have booked it.
1 night trip Sep 22, 2012
trophywife
"Felt right at home at the Vanderbilt Grace."
This hotel has a superb in town location. The rooftop lounge area has a spectacular view at sunset. Enjoyed our breakfasts in the open courtyard as well as after dinner drinks in the main floor bar area. The landscaping and the main floor of the hotel are very attractive. We particularly appreciated the care taken by the front desk and concierge staff. Both Joseph and Rachel made our stay wonderful by situating us in our rooms, securing dinner reservations and directing us around town. Would definitely return to the Vanderbilt Grace.
Other trip Sep 3, 2012
Alicia

"Close to 5 stars"
Well located close to all the Newport attractions. The service is excellent.
2 night family trip Jun 27, 2013

"Hotel très bien situé et confortable"
Deux nuits à Newport très reposantes dans cet hôtel très bien situé au coeur de cette jolie petite ville typique de la Nouvelle Angleterre, mais assez en retrait pour être au calme.
Other trip Oct 23, 2014
StarBoard
FR
"impeccabile da tutti i punti di vista!"
Posizione ideale per visitare a piedi la cittadina, servizio eccellente con personale gentilissimo, camere comode e spaziose.
1 night family trip Oct 3, 2013
1 night trip Nov 4, 2013
1 night trip Sep 11, 2013
2 night romance trip Jul 12, 2013

TripAdvisor reviews for The Vanderbilt Grace

"Great hotel and location"
08/29/15 John F Annapolis, Maryland
The hotel staff was fantastic and the facilities and location were great as well. We had breakfast in the garden every day, where the food was outstanding and reasonably priced. The hotel is a short walk from Thames Street and the wharf which made it easily to leave the car behind and walk to dinner. Watching the sunset from the rooftop bar is a view that should not be missed.
"Excellent quality and service despite a snafu"
08/28/15 David B Barcelona, Spain
My girlfriend and i stayed here for the evening, and wow, what fantastic service. The concierge was extremely friendly and helpful, as was the staff. The service of the hotel particularly showed when they made a mistake (which was the fault of the bell boy, not the hotel). The bell boy forgot to pack our bags into our car when we left, and the hotel immediately did everything they could to remedy the situation. They sent a car and driver to meet us at our next destination with our bags without hesitation. Everything, from the turn down service to the cookies to rooftop, was excellent. The harbor views were particularly nice, and the rooms are spacious and comfortable. The hotel's history made our stay all the better! We will be back soon!
"Nice but underwhellming"
08/27/15 gohorns034 Houston, Texas
OK I am bucking the trend and going against my old and elegant "must see". I just wasn't overwhelmed. It is certainly a wonderful location, well maintained old jewel, however it has no bar, no real lovely sitting areas or common areas. It is a bit cramped frankly and while I have no issues with service It just was not a place to which I would return. Rooms were fine, spacious and nicely decorated. the Restaurant was not inviting., A bit sterile. It did not feel historic or unique. Perhaps it shouldn't have to, however that is what I wanted. Its like a very upscale Hampton Inn located in a historic building. Not bad...just not my first choice in Newport.
"Last minute trip "
08/26/15 Jason N C
We loved it. We were greeted by a very nice young man named francis. He was very attentive to my family. The entire staff was very very friendly and helpful. We had a great room ( 310) which had 2 floors and more then fit my family's needs. My only concern was returning to the hotel late amd riding the elevator to our room with my family( young kids) and groups of people coming to or from the roof top bar who were nice but maybe celebrated a but too much. The resturant were both very good as well.
"Beautiful hotel, great location and super friendly staff"
08/22/15 rjelen1 Washington DC
Vanderbilt Grace was not on my list of hotel goals but it should have been. We booked a suite because we were traveling with our 14 yr old daughter. Hands down it was one of the most spacious suites I have ever stayed in. Spacious living room, two bathrooms (one with a huge soaking tub) and a walk in closet. We had plenty of room to spread out after a day exploring Newport. The beds were also really comfy. My one complaint on the room is the AC. There were two and they were extremely loud particularly the one in the Living room. Luckily our daughter sleeps like the dead. There were two pools one indoor and outside adjacent to the restaurant. They're both a little small so it's possible to show up and not have a place to sit. We had that happened to us one afternoon so we just went to the indoor pool. The roof deck had one of the best views on the island and amazing creative cocktails. We enjoyed a couple of fun afternoons people watching, sipping cocktails and snacking on cheese plates. Definitely worth the wait for the elevator. We didn't have dinner at the restaurant but we had breakfast both days and the food and service were great. The patio is beautiful and for Wes Anderson fans there is an excellent view of the Church steeple from Moonrise Kingdom. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful and the location of the hotel was the perfect jumping off point for all our adventures. We will definitely visit again.
"Best rooftop deck lounge in Newport!"
08/20/15 Russell M
I am already well familiar with the excellence Vanderbilt Grace Hotel in Newport has to offer its guests. Their staff have always been over-the-top accommodating and friendly. However, I wasn't aware they had a roof-top deck until recently. Last week, I went atop the hotel to the rooftop bar/lounge on the deck and I was completely blown away by the panoramic views of Newport Harbor, Fort Adams, and Goat Island. By far, the best view of downtown and the harbor available in Newport! Even better, I went just before sunset.
"Great Staff and Location, but Noisy AC"
08/19/15 Surfy B Auckland, Auckland, New Zealand
My girlfriend and I have spent a night at this lovely hotel. We weren't sure to make it our accommodation at first when we were planning our trip there because of how expansive it was, but we decided to go for it as it had lots of amenities. When we arrived at the hotel, we were received like VIPs. The valet took care of our car and bags and we were taken to our room. Letters addressed to our names were waiting to be read and apples and cookies to be eaten. The service was outstanding!! We loved the swimming pool, the sauna, and the breakfast (not included in room price) there, but did not drink at the roof bar as it closes at 10pm, which I think is way too early. The room was very pretty, but quite small for the price asked. However, it had everything we needed. The air conditioning was very loud and bothered my girlfriend at night. Overall, we had an great stay at The Vanderbilt Grace Hotel, but little things could be changed to make it amazing. P.S. Good luck finding your way to your room if you are on the third floor using staircases. We got lost several times trying to avoid the slow elevators.
"Lovely Hotel!!"
08/13/15 happyhappyjoyjoylove naples
I enjoyed this beautiful hotel in the heart of Newport. Great breakfast and the rooftop bar is a must. Service was great as well!!! The restaurant was had a delicious menu and we enjoyed a quiet well prepared dinner. I hope to return soon as does my entire family.
"Great Hotel in central location"
08/11/15 Bunwatkins London
We have just stayed 4 nights at the Vanderbilt Grace. Great boutique hotel in perfect central location. Easy walking distance to restaurants, bars and sights. Staff very attentive and friendly. Great rooftop bar with amazing views. Nice outside pool and gardens. Gym small but not bad! Would recommend hotel to couples. Only downside is that air conditioning in bedrooms is very noisy.
"Phenomenal Customer Service!"
08/10/15 Al M New York City, New York
My wife, daughter and I along with our great friend Lettitia from Paris and her daughter recently stayed at the Vanderbilt Grace. The property was centrally located and beautiful (particularly the garden area) and the rooms were spacious and well appointed. We enjoyed an excellent stay - however the customer service that extended past our stay was truly remarkable. Upon arriving home on Friday night in New York City (after a fabulous 3 nights in Newport) we realized that Lettitia's luggage was not in the car and was still at the hotel. Lettitia and her daughter had a flight to Paris that Sunday and needed their luggage (including passports) prior to leaving. We called the hotel and inquired what our options were to ship the luggage to arrive before she left (which we would gladly pay for). The hotel investigated what options were available and unfortunately there wasn't a service that could get the luggage to us in time. Instead of just breaking this unfortunately news to us the hotel sent an employee from Newport to Providence to catch a bus to New York City and hand deliver the luggage to us (at no expense) and then return home right after (a 12 hour excursion)! I have stayed at many great hotels with excellent service - however I was completely floored by this incredible level of customer service. Kudos to the amazing team at the Vanderbilt Grace.