All hotels in Newport, Rhode Island, United States of America

Room is all right
    Uncomfortable
Awesome stay
1 night romance trip Jan 16, 2016
"Amazing venue for a romantic weekend!"
The staff was phenomenal. From the minute we entered the hotel, every little need or request was anticipated and attended to promptly. The hotel itself is beautiful and charming. The spa fitness room and pool were meticulous and enjoyable. The location was great, within walking distance to everything.
2 night romance trip Dec 11, 2015
This is an older boutique hotel we've visited 3 times now. We plan to return again very soon.
1 night romance trip Nov 14, 2015
Deborah
"Amazing service"
Great hotel, great service
1 night family trip Oct 17, 2015
"Mixed Thoughts"
The hotel has a lot of great things about it. The location is terrific, the restaurants good. The staff was inconsistent. The front door and bellmen were great. There were a couple of front desk people who were exceedingly knowledgeable and very helpful. There were a couple who either lacked training or were very lazy. When I called prior to arrival about activities, I was told not to worry everything was close and easy. While partially true, the lack of detailed information was disappointing. The same was true on site. We ask a front desk person to check on the ferry to Block Island before we left for the day. Upon on return, she said she had been unable to reach anyone. It took me one call to find information. There were several other incidents like this. Our room was OK...We realize it's a historic building and that creates limits. That said our suite was tight and the furnishings were not exceptional. All of these put together did not amount to a bad stay, it was just not as good as we'd assumed from the price point.
Other trip Sep 15, 2015
Jmig
"Beyond our expectations"
I was blown away by the service. Couldn't beat the location. Sunset view from the rooftop was spectacular. It was my first time to Newport and I can't imagine staying anywhere else. Felt great to be treated special.
2 night romance trip Aug 3, 2015
Greg
"Fabulous location with awesome roof top bar!"
We booked the "captain's loft"...2 levels...top level is comfy king bed with modern bath...lower level is sitting area with pull out sofa and half bath. All very nice and clean. Staff was cheerful, location is excellent!
1 night trip with friends May 30, 2015
"Fix the AC"
Hotel entrance and lobby was very nice.. personal very courteous. Room was clean. The AC was extremely noisy. Waking my wife and I multiple times per night. Bed was a bit soft.. requires more pillows for that size bed. Overall it was a pleasant experience.
1 night romance trip Apr 16, 2015
"Great spot but rooftop was closed"
Hotel was great but rooftop was closed (mechanical maintenance issues)
1 night romance trip Apr 18, 2015
"Nice getaway"
Had a very nice stay, we stayed in the Captain's Loft, it was perfect for our family of three. My daughter enjoyed staying on the main floor, plenty of space for everyone and very pretty. Location was great, could walk to many stores and attractions.
2 night family trip Apr 7, 2015
Grace
The hotel was a wonderful hidden gem. It was so much more interesting than the pictures posted online. Will definitely visit again
Other trip Apr 4, 2015
"An Incredibly Lovely Stay"
Just stayed for the weekend for our tenth anniversary - it was truly a lovely experience. The staff is so attentive, and the little touches made it truly extraordinary. From cookies at our bedside each night, the hot water bottle in our bed, the luxurious robes, the water bottles in the car when we picked it up - everything just told us we were well taken care of. The staff is so attentive, we were treated as if we were staying with friends. The hotel is clean, right in the middle of town, gorgeous views - I would definitely stay here again. Loved everything!
2 night romance trip Mar 20, 2015
Stacy
"Treat yourself"
This is my favorite hotel in Newport. The staff are super friendly and accommodating. They seem to recreate the feel of mansions in the gilded age which Newport is known for. Great dining at the hotel but also easy walks to restaurants all around town. Not my first stay and won't be my last...
2 night family trip Mar 12, 2015
Whitneyl
"Excellent hotel"
Everything was great, the staff was very friendly and courteous. My girlfriend and I ate breakfast there and it was delicious. The French toast was fantastic.
2 night romance trip Jan 3, 2015
Jack
"The Best of the Best!"
We have been celebrating Thanksgiving at various locations with our two daughters since they were 4 and 6. We are still following this tradition some 40 years later except they now have families and we have continued this tradition. Of all the locations that we have stayed at over the years, the Vanderbilt Grace was the best of the best. We look forward to returning to this hotel not just for Thanksgiving but for our vacation during the summer. It is GREAT!
3 night family trip Nov 27, 2014
"Very nice getaway"
Wife and I went here for a night to escape our 5 year old and celebrate our 10th anniversary. Hotel was very nice and is very short walking distance to shops and waterfront. Staff was super accommodating! Only gripe was our room was too warm for us and we couldn't get the thermostat to work.
1 night romance trip Oct 25, 2014
My wife and I spent two nights here on our honeymoon - a truly romantic and special experience! The staff was so kind and thoughtful - even putting water bottles in the cup holders of our car when we picked it up from the valet! We also recommend the massages offered at the spa!
Other trip Oct 16, 2014
Amazing Hotel, Awesome Staff!
2 night trip Aug 15, 2014
"European Grace"
High end European hotels, particularly those in Greece, pride themselves on their high quality customer service. This small hotel chain (Grace), with 2 hotels in Greece, clearly prides themselves on following the principle that the customer comes first. It has been rare to experience this type of service in the US. From a pre-visit call asking about dinner reservations, to champagne as we checked in, to a wonderful European-style breakfast in the morning, and to the staff who were willing to help at any turn, I strongly recommend this hotel for any sort of retreat from the real world into the "graceful" relaxation provided by a stay here.
1 night trip Mar 15, 2014
DK
"Great weekend visit!"
Beautiful retreat and convenient to walk anywhere in Newport. Rooms were beautiful and spacious. Would go back in a heartbeat.
2 night business trip Dec 27, 2013
"Perfect trip"
I can't express in words how happy we were. We're going back soon.
1 night romance trip Dec 14, 2013
"Beautiful hotel in the center of town….."
Gorgeous historical hotel on a lovely street in the center of Newport. and very sweet, helpful and knowledgable young staff. Loved the incredible home-made chocolates and peanut brittle they brought to your room for 'turn-down'.
Other trip Nov 28, 2013
Cassandra
"This place is the bomb!"
May be my favorite place to stay ever. They heard me say it was husband's birthday and sent up a bottle of wine to our room. The rooms are fab - clean, serene, comfortable, nice amenities included - the little things, like fresh apples, bottled water, glass of champagne on arrival and at breakfast - all complimentary. The roof deck has a beautiful view of the shops and restaurants of Newport and the water and bridge. We didn't spend much time there this time (since it was November), but this would be a huge plus in the warmer months. There is a bar up there and adirondack chairs facing 180 degrees. We are hoping to make bi-annual trips to the Vanderbilt Grace.
Other trip Nov 18, 2013
"Beautiful hotel, but leaves much to be desired"
Vanderbilt Grace is an architecturally lovely hotel in a perfect location. The staff is friendly and very attentive. Comfortable bed and amenities such as a pillow menu and aromatherapy make for a feeling of luxury. However, there were several disappointments. The rug in our room was stained, and the extra blanket was pilled and contained many long hairs from prior guests. Our junior suite was rated for 3 guests, however, this required use of the single most uncomfortable pullout I've ever tried. I would not have minded so much had there not been a significant upcharge for a 3rd guest in the room. Television in the bedroom was unwatchable due to horrible reception. Room service was prompt, but the heavily salted food was left mostly untouched by our family of three. I expected much more from a hotel charging these rates. Four stars based upon the hotel alone; 3 stars when one factors in the rates.
Other trip Oct 20, 2013
Babs
"Good Service"
Overall service was strong. The rest of the hotel didn't deserve such high points specially relative to price. Pool was hardly a pool and the gym was so-so. Room didn't have separate beds and dormers were inconveniently low.
2 night family trip Oct 11, 2013
"DH"
Great hotel and great experience!
1 night trip Sep 25, 2013
Dennis
"Lovely but too small of a room for luxury hotel"
we had a great time and would go back but next time will tell them we want a bigger room-at first it was ok but then we kept running into each other and it became frustrating and too late to bother asking for a different room
3 night romance trip Aug 27, 2013
"Weekend Getaway"
My husband and I have been to Newport every summer and decided to try a new hotel." Good choice" The feel of the hotel was welcoming and comfortable. Staff was friendly and accomadating. The room was beautiful, and clean. Breakfast was wonderful in the courtyard, with fresh fruit, great coffee and pastries. The Garden that surrounded the "breakfast area" provided a relaxing setting. The rooftop deck , gorgeous!!! A MUST SEE. Needless to say, I am booking my next visit to Newport at Vanderbuilt Grace.
Other trip Aug 13, 2013
"nice hotel with a personal touch"
I stayed for two nights. I came in exhausted and left refreshed. The staff went above and beyond to make the stay enoyable. The level of detail was unparalleled. The staff was informative and courteous. It was a very busy holiday weekend yet the hotel did not feel overcrowded or busy. The room was lovely. I highly recommend this hotel and will consider another grace property for future travels.
Other trip Jul 8, 2013
"Amazing...HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!"
I didn't know what to expect of the Vanderbilt Grace, but I was overly impressed with the entire hotel. I must admit that I tried to stay at a different hotel, which had no vacancy and took a chance considering the reviews. The hotel was a perfect compliment to my Newport trip. It was a smaller boutique hotel, small enough that you felt individual attention, yet large enough that you had your own personal space and comfort. I loved the staff who always were accommodating, had great recommendations, and the manager who personally introduced herself upon our arrival (nice touch). I will return to this hotel any and every time I am in Newport!
2 night trip Jun 14, 2013
"Really top flight staff."
Extremely comfortable and well appointed. Great location. The real gem though was the staff. Very attentive and friendly without being obtrusive. They were very adept at anticipating my families needs even before we knew it ourselves.
Other trip May 27, 2013
elegant mansion near the main strip of downtown. great staff with impeccable service. overall great stay. would come back again
1 night romance trip May 17, 2013

The following English reviews were posted by hotel guests from other countries:

"Close to 5 stars"
Well located close to all the Newport attractions. The service is excellent.
2 night family trip Jun 27, 2013

The following reviews were posted by hotel guests from other countries:

"hotel em predio historico bem localizado."
localizacao muito boa perto de rua com melhores lojas e restaurantes famosos. o hotel lindo fica num predio antigo historico, muito bonito por dentro e o quarto que ficamos com lareira muito confortavel. o unico porem foi na chegada nos deram um quarto com lareira com 2 janelas cobertas com tapumes de reforma da fachada, reclamamos pois nao avisava nada no site. No dia seguinte nos deram outro quarto igual com vista maravilhosa para cidade, um vinho de desculpas e credito , e extremamente gentil o gerente pediu mil desculpas . Vale a pena!!
1 night family trip Dec 25, 2015
BR
Las meseras del restaurante con muy mala actitud y pocas ganas de trabajar. Se nota que no les gusta su trabajo. Por lo contrario, El resto del staff del hotel que nos atendio lo hicieron de una forma muy amable y sobretodo con ganas de ayudar.
1 night romance trip Sep 16, 2015
Debora
MX
"Hotel très bien situé et confortable"
Deux nuits à Newport très reposantes dans cet hôtel très bien situé au coeur de cette jolie petite ville typique de la Nouvelle Angleterre, mais assez en retrait pour être au calme.
Other trip Oct 23, 2014
StarBoard
FR
"impeccabile da tutti i punti di vista!"
Posizione ideale per visitare a piedi la cittadina, servizio eccellente con personale gentilissimo, camere comode e spaziose.
1 night family trip Oct 3, 2013
1 night trip Nov 4, 2013
1 night trip Sep 11, 2013
2 night romance trip Jul 12, 2013

TripAdvisor reviews for The Vanderbilt Grace

"Nice property, some real highlights"
04/25/16 walkaboutnyc Boston, Massachusetts
I looked at many hotels in Newport before settling on the Vanderbilt Grace for what seemed like spacious rooms, great reviews, and great location. Here's what I found: The rooms are lovely. We had a loft suite, which came with an upstairs loft (King bed), a downstairs room with a day bed, and a sofa bed pullout. Lots of space, 1.5 bathrooms. Anything else I looked at for a family of five was either much smaller or more expensive. I thought it was a good value, not great necessarily -- paying over $500/night for a room anywhere to me means it better live up to that price. We enjoyed the indoor pool, the proximity to town. We didn't use the spa. It seemed other guests were very into the live music, as I heard them singing along with the piano player in the bar later in the evening. The roof deck is very cool - but wasn't open yet for the season. The highlights: Francis (sp?) and Brendan. Both provided excellent service and were accommodating at every turn, with a smile. The front desk were also very accommodating when I was making my reservation. The reservations they made for us for meals were a little off-target (suggested I go to Starbucks vs a local cafe; made us a reservation for a dinner place that didn't get great reviews). Here's what really didn't make it a 5-star property to me: it had a feeling of inauthenticity that I can't really describe. Really down to earth people, but somehow trying to put on an air of luxury that I didn't really love. I can't quite describe it and it wouldn't stop me from going back. It was almost missing a warmth that I was really hoping a smallish place could provide. Nevertheless, a great experience overall. As I said, gorgeous rooms. I would definitely go back but probably only when I'm feeling splurgy, as Newport has a ton of other nice options.
"Will definitely be back"
04/22/16 Andrea O Medfield, Massachusetts
Everything was excellent here. Service was impeccable, rooms were clean, modern and spacious with many nice touches, not to mention very comfortable bed and pillows. Excellent location, walkable to shops and restaurants. Highly recommend.
"Gracious hotel"
04/22/16 Anthony J England, United Kingdom
Very comfortable 4 night stay in this gracious and well located hotel in beautiful Newport. Clean and stylish it offers a perfect retreat from the hustle and bustle of city life. The manager and almost all the staff were extremely professional and friendly, paying great attention to the small details. Excellent maid service. Only downside was the breakfast staff whom we found brash and amateur. One morning we had breakfast out just to avoid them. Such a shame. If not for this we would have easily given 5 stars for service.
"Stylish Newport"
04/20/16 COTraveler81 Denver, CO
On a last minute getaway from the city we ended up in Newport at the Vanderbilt. It's location is unbeatable if you're looking to be central to dining/entertainment options in town, though not if you're looking to be waterfront/away from town. We walked all around town through the shops and bars/restaurants and were never more than a couple minute walk back to the hotel, very convenient. The staff was very friendly and helpful, pointing us in the right direction to some great spots and providing top notch service. Our room was on the small side but very nicely appointed and comfortable. We didn't eat at the in-house restaurant but stopped in for drinks on our way back from dinner one evening, which we enjoyed while the live music wrapped up for the evening. The billiards room is so old school and a really unique touch, great for a late evening cocktail and game of pool. The hotel is redone and modern to an extent, while still retaining the charm of a building that's obviously very old, which I love. Just don't expect the same cookie cutter type of room often found at more modern hotels in this price point. Not better or worse, just unique to a hotel in such an old structure. We enjoyed sunset one evening from the rooftop deck, overlooking the town and harbor, and felt a million miles from the city. It wasn't an out of this world experience, but it's a lovely place to stay for a weekend getaway. The high season price point is probably a little much for what it is, but I'm not sure where else I would go in town that would be more palatable. I'll stay again next time I'm in Newport, which is hopefully very soon.
"Oasis in the Hub of the Newport"
04/02/16 ELLE_BEE2 Portland, Maine
My sisters and cousin spent a long weekend at the Grace. We were greeted with smiles from our wonderful hosts Danielle, Kevin, Jordan, Karla and Sweet Paul! Why do I share their names, well we felt like family only better! We were pampered in this pet & family friendly hotel. I felt at home with lux added (home made desserts left in your room), amazing beds and a relaxed private quiet atmosphere. There is a indoor pool that was perfect to wake up to followed by a sauna. Be sure to check out the Roof deck at sunset. The view is amazing and apparently quite lovely for evening cocktails. It was not open when we were there. I have stayed at the newly renovated Marriott as well. This is a quiet off the main street yet all in the same walking distance to the restaurants and shops. Hope to go back soon!
"Lovely stay in Newport"
04/02/16 JWG642014 London, United Kingdom
Had a wonderful couple of nights in the Vanderbilt Grace. Lovely hotel, great service, rooms were stylish and immaculate. The hotel was small enough for the staff to know all their guests and as a result it felt like a very personal service. Newport was great place to spend sometime, we could have done with more time. The cliff walk was great as were the oysters in the Midtown Oyster bar.
"Perfect Location"
03/24/16 buford33 vancouver island
This is a beautiful building with some wonderful staff. Marco and Paul were both incredibly helpful in advance of our trip in terms of helping us select the correct room. Our room was mostly updated and quite lovely but don’t plan on using the heater at night as it is incredibly noisy. The bed was very comfortable, the pillows wonderful and the linens excellent. We thought housekeeping was a bit inconsistent on several occasions and on several counts, but on other things quite good. The bathroom was large, functional and offered two sinks which we always find helpful. The Frette robes were plush. The bedroom television, unfortunately, was not watchable as it was to the side of the bed and caused quite a neck crimp if one watched it for any length of time.  The television in the sitting area is in a proper location in front of the couch. The Keurig coffee maker was excellent and came in very handy.  The front desk staff was always helpful, although no one really provided an overview of the property and the services (billiard table, fireplace sitting room with games, fitness area) during our stay. For the money, it was a fair rate as they were offering an off-season special.  However, if we had to pay full fare, I think we would have been a bit disappointed. The location is perfect, but the main floor of the hotel feels as if it needs a spiff it up —perhaps moving the luggage carts out of the entry would be a start.
"Beautifully-restored historic property"
03/20/16 DL0279 New York City, New York
Belated review: stayed here for a long weekend over July 4th in 2015. Traveled with wife, baby, and dog. Our favorite thing about this hotel was the property itself. The building is beautifully restored. They've kept the historic character intact while keeping the rooms comfortably up to date. The food at both the Conservatory and Muse was quite good. The service at Muse was also good, the service elsewhere was spotty at times. As others have mentioned it's a young (college-age) staff (at least during the summer). Some were quite good but others were obviously new, and it occasionally took quite a while to have someone take your order, re-fill drinks, etc. Nothing terrible but not quite up to what you would expect for a property in this price range. The rooftop bar is lovely and has an amazing view of the water. The property also boasted great views of the 4th of July fireworks. However, the bar is open to the public and was jam-packed when we arrived. I don't blame them, it's prime real estate and I'm sure they make a ton of money on such nights. However, perhaps they could have some reserved seating for paying guests or something along those lines. You can cater to your guests as a luxury hotel, or you can cater to a local crowd at the bar ordering "8 shots of the cheapest vodka you have" - but if you try to do both you are not likely to succeed in achieving the former. Not trying to sound like a snob but I do feel guests were a bit neglected - with a slightly different service experience this would be 5-stars.
"Mansion Living"
03/14/16 Julienne C Washington DC, District of Columbia
Staying at the Vanderbilt Grace makes you feel like you are a part of the Gilded Age along with the Vanderbilt's! The rooms are mostly all suite style with modern upgrades and amazing bathrooms. I was there for the weekend and was able to enjoy the pool and gym, play snooker while enjoying a Grace cocktail, and had two delicious meals in the restaurant! I highly recommend this hotel for anyone who loves history, luxury hospitality, and stunning views. Valet is included in your room rate, so the minute you pull up, you feel spoiled. The bellman escorted me up to my room where I found some beautiful cookies and a goodie bag. I asked him if I could go on the roof even though it was closed and he arranged for me to go up and see the sunset from the snow covered roof. The servers at dinner were perfect and ensured my wine glass was always flowing. Dessert was just superb. I can't wait to go back!
"Lady in the Van Premiere at the Vanderbilt Grace."
02/19/16 ConnIngrid Conn
The Vanderbilt Grace is one of the most elegant hotels in Newport and the host of the Lady in the Van Premiere party. Signature cocktail drinks, delicious tea sandwiches, madeira cake, and the great Vanderbilt staff Maureen, Tony and Chris made this event so special and fun!!