All hotels in Newport, Rhode Island, United States of America

Decent vibe
    Uncomfortable
Awesome stay
1 night romance trip Jan 16, 2016
"Amazing venue for a romantic weekend!"
The staff was phenomenal. From the minute we entered the hotel, every little need or request was anticipated and attended to promptly. The hotel itself is beautiful and charming. The spa fitness room and pool were meticulous and enjoyable. The location was great, within walking distance to everything.
2 night romance trip Dec 11, 2015
This is an older boutique hotel we've visited 3 times now. We plan to return again very soon.
1 night romance trip Nov 14, 2015
Deborah
"Amazing service"
Great hotel, great service
1 night family trip Oct 17, 2015
"Mixed Thoughts"
The hotel has a lot of great things about it. The location is terrific, the restaurants good. The staff was inconsistent. The front door and bellmen were great. There were a couple of front desk people who were exceedingly knowledgeable and very helpful. There were a couple who either lacked training or were very lazy. When I called prior to arrival about activities, I was told not to worry everything was close and easy. While partially true, the lack of detailed information was disappointing. The same was true on site. We ask a front desk person to check on the ferry to Block Island before we left for the day. Upon on return, she said she had been unable to reach anyone. It took me one call to find information. There were several other incidents like this. Our room was OK...We realize it's a historic building and that creates limits. That said our suite was tight and the furnishings were not exceptional. All of these put together did not amount to a bad stay, it was just not as good as we'd assumed from the price point.
Other trip Sep 15, 2015
Jmig
"Beyond our expectations"
I was blown away by the service. Couldn't beat the location. Sunset view from the rooftop was spectacular. It was my first time to Newport and I can't imagine staying anywhere else. Felt great to be treated special.
2 night romance trip Aug 3, 2015
Greg
"Fabulous location with awesome roof top bar!"
We booked the "captain's loft"...2 levels...top level is comfy king bed with modern bath...lower level is sitting area with pull out sofa and half bath. All very nice and clean. Staff was cheerful, location is excellent!
1 night trip with friends May 30, 2015
"Fix the AC"
Hotel entrance and lobby was very nice.. personal very courteous. Room was clean. The AC was extremely noisy. Waking my wife and I multiple times per night. Bed was a bit soft.. requires more pillows for that size bed. Overall it was a pleasant experience.
1 night romance trip Apr 16, 2015
"Great spot but rooftop was closed"
Hotel was great but rooftop was closed (mechanical maintenance issues)
1 night romance trip Apr 18, 2015
"Nice getaway"
Had a very nice stay, we stayed in the Captain's Loft, it was perfect for our family of three. My daughter enjoyed staying on the main floor, plenty of space for everyone and very pretty. Location was great, could walk to many stores and attractions.
2 night family trip Apr 7, 2015
Grace
The hotel was a wonderful hidden gem. It was so much more interesting than the pictures posted online. Will definitely visit again
Other trip Apr 4, 2015
"An Incredibly Lovely Stay"
Just stayed for the weekend for our tenth anniversary - it was truly a lovely experience. The staff is so attentive, and the little touches made it truly extraordinary. From cookies at our bedside each night, the hot water bottle in our bed, the luxurious robes, the water bottles in the car when we picked it up - everything just told us we were well taken care of. The staff is so attentive, we were treated as if we were staying with friends. The hotel is clean, right in the middle of town, gorgeous views - I would definitely stay here again. Loved everything!
2 night romance trip Mar 20, 2015
Stacy
"Treat yourself"
This is my favorite hotel in Newport. The staff are super friendly and accommodating. They seem to recreate the feel of mansions in the gilded age which Newport is known for. Great dining at the hotel but also easy walks to restaurants all around town. Not my first stay and won't be my last...
2 night family trip Mar 12, 2015
Whitneyl
"Excellent hotel"
Everything was great, the staff was very friendly and courteous. My girlfriend and I ate breakfast there and it was delicious. The French toast was fantastic.
2 night romance trip Jan 3, 2015
Jack
"The Best of the Best!"
We have been celebrating Thanksgiving at various locations with our two daughters since they were 4 and 6. We are still following this tradition some 40 years later except they now have families and we have continued this tradition. Of all the locations that we have stayed at over the years, the Vanderbilt Grace was the best of the best. We look forward to returning to this hotel not just for Thanksgiving but for our vacation during the summer. It is GREAT!
3 night family trip Nov 27, 2014
"Very nice getaway"
Wife and I went here for a night to escape our 5 year old and celebrate our 10th anniversary. Hotel was very nice and is very short walking distance to shops and waterfront. Staff was super accommodating! Only gripe was our room was too warm for us and we couldn't get the thermostat to work.
1 night romance trip Oct 25, 2014
My wife and I spent two nights here on our honeymoon - a truly romantic and special experience! The staff was so kind and thoughtful - even putting water bottles in the cup holders of our car when we picked it up from the valet! We also recommend the massages offered at the spa!
Other trip Oct 16, 2014
Amazing Hotel, Awesome Staff!
2 night trip Aug 15, 2014
"European Grace"
High end European hotels, particularly those in Greece, pride themselves on their high quality customer service. This small hotel chain (Grace), with 2 hotels in Greece, clearly prides themselves on following the principle that the customer comes first. It has been rare to experience this type of service in the US. From a pre-visit call asking about dinner reservations, to champagne as we checked in, to a wonderful European-style breakfast in the morning, and to the staff who were willing to help at any turn, I strongly recommend this hotel for any sort of retreat from the real world into the "graceful" relaxation provided by a stay here.
1 night trip Mar 15, 2014
DK
"Great weekend visit!"
Beautiful retreat and convenient to walk anywhere in Newport. Rooms were beautiful and spacious. Would go back in a heartbeat.
2 night business trip Dec 27, 2013
"Perfect trip"
I can't express in words how happy we were. We're going back soon.
1 night romance trip Dec 14, 2013
"Beautiful hotel in the center of town….."
Gorgeous historical hotel on a lovely street in the center of Newport. and very sweet, helpful and knowledgable young staff. Loved the incredible home-made chocolates and peanut brittle they brought to your room for 'turn-down'.
Other trip Nov 28, 2013
Cassandra
"This place is the bomb!"
May be my favorite place to stay ever. They heard me say it was husband's birthday and sent up a bottle of wine to our room. The rooms are fab - clean, serene, comfortable, nice amenities included - the little things, like fresh apples, bottled water, glass of champagne on arrival and at breakfast - all complimentary. The roof deck has a beautiful view of the shops and restaurants of Newport and the water and bridge. We didn't spend much time there this time (since it was November), but this would be a huge plus in the warmer months. There is a bar up there and adirondack chairs facing 180 degrees. We are hoping to make bi-annual trips to the Vanderbilt Grace.
Other trip Nov 18, 2013
"Beautiful hotel, but leaves much to be desired"
Vanderbilt Grace is an architecturally lovely hotel in a perfect location. The staff is friendly and very attentive. Comfortable bed and amenities such as a pillow menu and aromatherapy make for a feeling of luxury. However, there were several disappointments. The rug in our room was stained, and the extra blanket was pilled and contained many long hairs from prior guests. Our junior suite was rated for 3 guests, however, this required use of the single most uncomfortable pullout I've ever tried. I would not have minded so much had there not been a significant upcharge for a 3rd guest in the room. Television in the bedroom was unwatchable due to horrible reception. Room service was prompt, but the heavily salted food was left mostly untouched by our family of three. I expected much more from a hotel charging these rates. Four stars based upon the hotel alone; 3 stars when one factors in the rates.
Other trip Oct 20, 2013
Babs
"Good Service"
Overall service was strong. The rest of the hotel didn't deserve such high points specially relative to price. Pool was hardly a pool and the gym was so-so. Room didn't have separate beds and dormers were inconveniently low.
2 night family trip Oct 11, 2013
"DH"
Great hotel and great experience!
1 night trip Sep 25, 2013
Dennis
"Lovely but too small of a room for luxury hotel"
we had a great time and would go back but next time will tell them we want a bigger room-at first it was ok but then we kept running into each other and it became frustrating and too late to bother asking for a different room
3 night romance trip Aug 27, 2013
"Weekend Getaway"
My husband and I have been to Newport every summer and decided to try a new hotel." Good choice" The feel of the hotel was welcoming and comfortable. Staff was friendly and accomadating. The room was beautiful, and clean. Breakfast was wonderful in the courtyard, with fresh fruit, great coffee and pastries. The Garden that surrounded the "breakfast area" provided a relaxing setting. The rooftop deck , gorgeous!!! A MUST SEE. Needless to say, I am booking my next visit to Newport at Vanderbuilt Grace.
Other trip Aug 13, 2013
"nice hotel with a personal touch"
I stayed for two nights. I came in exhausted and left refreshed. The staff went above and beyond to make the stay enoyable. The level of detail was unparalleled. The staff was informative and courteous. It was a very busy holiday weekend yet the hotel did not feel overcrowded or busy. The room was lovely. I highly recommend this hotel and will consider another grace property for future travels.
Other trip Jul 8, 2013
"Amazing...HIGHLY RECOMMENDED!!!"
I didn't know what to expect of the Vanderbilt Grace, but I was overly impressed with the entire hotel. I must admit that I tried to stay at a different hotel, which had no vacancy and took a chance considering the reviews. The hotel was a perfect compliment to my Newport trip. It was a smaller boutique hotel, small enough that you felt individual attention, yet large enough that you had your own personal space and comfort. I loved the staff who always were accommodating, had great recommendations, and the manager who personally introduced herself upon our arrival (nice touch). I will return to this hotel any and every time I am in Newport!
2 night trip Jun 14, 2013
"Really top flight staff."
Extremely comfortable and well appointed. Great location. The real gem though was the staff. Very attentive and friendly without being obtrusive. They were very adept at anticipating my families needs even before we knew it ourselves.
Other trip May 27, 2013
elegant mansion near the main strip of downtown. great staff with impeccable service. overall great stay. would come back again
1 night romance trip May 17, 2013
"Luxury for today with a respect for yesterday"
It exceeded our expectations; while not an ocean view locale, this hotel is so fine in terms of beauty and service, we were thrilled! A bonus is being able to walk all around town right out of the front entry. The comfort, cleanliness and quality of everything is first rate. The food... divine!
1 night trip Apr 20, 2013
Carol W.

"Close to 5 stars"
Well located close to all the Newport attractions. The service is excellent.
2 night family trip Jun 27, 2013

"hotel em predio historico bem localizado."
localizacao muito boa perto de rua com melhores lojas e restaurantes famosos. o hotel lindo fica num predio antigo historico, muito bonito por dentro e o quarto que ficamos com lareira muito confortavel. o unico porem foi na chegada nos deram um quarto com lareira com 2 janelas cobertas com tapumes de reforma da fachada, reclamamos pois nao avisava nada no site. No dia seguinte nos deram outro quarto igual com vista maravilhosa para cidade, um vinho de desculpas e credito , e extremamente gentil o gerente pediu mil desculpas . Vale a pena!!
1 night family trip Dec 25, 2015
BR
Las meseras del restaurante con muy mala actitud y pocas ganas de trabajar. Se nota que no les gusta su trabajo. Por lo contrario, El resto del staff del hotel que nos atendio lo hicieron de una forma muy amable y sobretodo con ganas de ayudar.
1 night romance trip Sep 16, 2015
Debora
MX
"Hotel très bien situé et confortable"
Deux nuits à Newport très reposantes dans cet hôtel très bien situé au coeur de cette jolie petite ville typique de la Nouvelle Angleterre, mais assez en retrait pour être au calme.
Other trip Oct 23, 2014
StarBoard
FR
"impeccabile da tutti i punti di vista!"
Posizione ideale per visitare a piedi la cittadina, servizio eccellente con personale gentilissimo, camere comode e spaziose.
1 night family trip Oct 3, 2013
2 night romance trip Jul 12, 2013

TripAdvisor reviews for The Vanderbilt Grace

"Amazing"
02/09/16 joanna v Antwerp, Belgium
What a lovely Hotel, ideally situated and beautiful Building. Staff very friendly and helpfull. Al fresco Breakfast and Lunch, great indoor Dining. We even booked 1 night extra!! You can just walk into Newport, which is a big plus. Hope to be back soon
"Wonderful, quaint and near everything"
02/08/16 Dmonaco62 New Haven, Connecticut
Great inn right in the heart of Newport. Rooms have plenty of space. The Inn is just the right size. Only a short walk to the center of everything. Staff was very nice and food was good if eating there. Beautiful rooftop area that you must see when it gets warmer.
"Sophisticated simplicity in Newport"
01/20/16 Kathryn C Boston, Massachusetts
We visited Newport after several large snow storms in early 2015, so it wasn't the coastal splendor you might anticipate, but the service at this hotel was personable and we were spoiled by the room upgrade we received. The hotel has modern seaside furnishings and a very clean and comfortable feel. It's centrally located and close to lots of good restaurant options. (Wander over to the White Horse Tavern for a warm escape in wintertime.) I'm sure the rooftop is beautiful in the summertime!
"Lovely and historic"
01/04/16 Cindy C Franklin Lakes, New Jersey
This is a lovely historic hotel very centrally located just off Thames Street in Newport. It's a short walk to the waterfront and most of the restaurants and attractions in Newport, and a short drive to the mansions along Bellevue. There is a fine dining restaurant, an indoor pool, and a sunny garden room for breakfast. I had spoken to the concierge in advance of our visit and he gave me excellent restaurant suggestions for our visit, nearly all of which we used, and they were wonderful. As well, there were several little hospitality touches that made the visit memorable, including cookies being delivered to the room each night, a bottle of champagne chilling in our suite for the evening of New Year's Eve, and a party in the lobby with DJ, dancing, champagne, and treats. That all made the hotel nicer than the average upscale chain. And so overall, the visit was quite pleasant. If I had to comment on two areas of slight disappointment, it was with the accessibility of the very friendly staff (they were wonderful, but it was sometimes challenging to find someone to help us whether at the desks or the front door or near the pool), and I also thought our "Captain's Loft" suite felt a bit tired, with uninspired decor and worn furniture. We would stay at the Vanderbilt Grace again, but I might look for a better deal on the room rate.
"Well located boutique hotel"
12/13/15 Wonderlander65 Watford, United Kingdom
The hotel, which used to be a YMCA, is a comfortable boutique hotel very well located for the historic part of town. The welcome was "welcome" after a long drive. Our room was nice but too small. It had views over the sea, was well equipped with a nice, but small bathroom. The restaurant was OK but we had a wonderful singer/pianist who made up for the average food. Service at the table was over-attentive. Breakfasts were good. Staff were pleasant. The best feature of the hotel was its position. Really liked Newport which is well worth a trip to see the "cottages" built at the turn of the 20th Century, the oldest synagogue in the USA, and an array of historic buildings.
"Amazing Service, Lovely and Clean Rooms, and Great Location"
11/30/15 Avery N Queens, New York
From the first welcome to the last goodbye, the service by the staff at the Vanderbilt was unparalleled. They tried helping us with everything we asked and seemed like they really cared. The hotel is in a great location for walking around the cute downtown area and near restaurants and shops. And its about a ten minute ride to the Mansions. We stayed in the Captains Loft and it was roomy yet cozy, nicely furnished, and very clean. We hope to return!
"Unmatchable hospitality"
11/28/15 Banjoey San Diego, California
What an incredible experience. From the moment we stepped out of our car and got welcomed into the hotel we were greeted by every single employee, we arrived early so we were given a short tour and told the history of Vanderbilt Grace (how it used to be a YMCA, owned by the Vanderbilts, etc). Every staff interaction during our stay was wonderful. We will definitely be coming back. The entire hotel has a very quaint and elegant, New England atmosphere. Our room was simple but very comfortable. Definitely try to make it up to the roof deck for sunset and/or to just watch the harbor.
"Quiet elegance"
11/22/15 bt1sw2000 Ludlow, Massachusetts
Not sure where to start. At check-in a young man named Marco sealed the deal with customer service perfection. Polite, knowledgeable, intelligent, and enthusiastic, Marco was the perfect host. The valet service was outstanding. A gentleman named Nate was outstanding. The room was perfect. Comfortable, neat and welcoming. The location is perfect. Walk down the hill and you're on Thames St. It's pricey, but with service as top notch as Marco and Nate provided, it's worth every penny. We will definitely be back.
"Beautiful small hotel in a true New England setting"
11/09/15 spng2011 NYC
We had a room on the 4th floor, which had a view of the harbor. Just beautiful. Lovely large bathroom and a very comfortable bed. We ate breakfast at the hotel each day, which was just delicious. The service was impeccable and the staff seemed like they could not do enough for you. It had a nice indoor pool, which we used and it was right in town, close to restaurants and shops. Would definitely recommend this hotel if you are in the area. We will be back !
"What a lovely hotel"
11/08/15 Helenmj2014 London, United Kingdom
We had a beautiful long weekend here. The room was lovely, the service impeccable and the location perfect. We could walk everywhere for dinner, and if you don't fancy the reasonably priced breakfast you can pop down the road to Starbucks and bring your coffee back to the hotel to drink it on the roof terrace. Doesn't get better than that.