All hotels in Portland, Maine, United States of America
You can collect Hotels.com® Rewards nights here939 Congress St, Portland, ME, 04102, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Yikes, no elevator"
The hotel and staff were quite nice. Wasn't terribly close to restaurants but not inconvenient to get to anyplace. The only real drawback was three flights of steep stairs to climb, no elevator. The staff was very helpful.
1 night romance trip May 11, 2015
"Love at first sight!"
Adorable little Fawlty Towers type hotel! I had a wonderful experience. Rooms were clean, place was quiet and cozy. My room was 6A. Had a nice private bathroom. I would absolutely recommend this to others! Especially if you enjoy a little different experience than just another standard hotel.
1 night trip May 5, 2015
"Love this Place"
My husband and I stayed one night in April 2015. I love this place. The lobby staff was friendly and informative, the room clean and comfortable, and I loved the antique decor. It was maybe a 15-20 minute walk into town. The area in which the hotel's located is a little run down but not what I'd call a "bad" neighborhood; we felt perfectly safe walking to and from the hotel. We had a shared bathroom which was a first for us but it worked out fine; there was a sink in the room which was nice. For $70 it was a real find. I highly recommend The Inn at St John.
1 night romance trip Apr 25, 2015
Noreen
"Love this hotel, will be back."
This is a lovely, European-style hotel just west of downtown so beginning to get a bit of sprawl around it. Free off street parking. Staff very courteous and polite. Squeaky clean and lots of little amenities and touches, for instance cookies, tea and coffee in the lobby, colored towels in the bath, flat screen TV and easy to use remote control and amazing rates!
1 night business trip Apr 19, 2015
"Great value at a cool old-style hotel"
The hotel was a nice walk away from the downtown/Old Port. A small and cozy room with just enough space to change and unpack. Very old design, with skinny, fancy, carpeted stairways and nice decorations. The breakfast was a bit better than the typical continental and the staff was very helpful. Only issue was a rattling hot water pipe from about midnight to 8 AM. The staff was apologetic but seemed to already know it was an issue. I would recommend bringing earplugs in case you get a room. Overall, a great value and good find if you're a deep sleeper!
1 night romance trip Mar 19, 2015
"Nice, clean, affordable stay!"
Excellent place to stay. Small, quiet and unique. This is not a chain hotel, which is a good thing! More like a European type hotel, similar to hotels in Paris. Great accommodations at a very reasonable price. Get the in-room private bath if available. Some rooms offer a private bath across the hall (separate from your room). Separate bath works fine, but better in your room. Clean rooms, no smoking smell, zero tolerance for smoking inside! Nice. They provide a decent, light, cold breakfast in AM. Cold water bottles and cookies available most always at other times. Staff is A+. Always looking to help or answer questions. Parking behind the hotel is limited but they have more just a little further. A few good eats in the immediate area, but a short hop to the core downtown. Easy bike ride or 5 minute drive. We stayed on two separate occasions and can highly recommend. One caveat, no elevator, so you will have to troop up the stairs a level or two.
1 night romance trip Mar 6, 2015
"Another stellar experience at the Inn at St. John!"
The Inn at St. John is a perfect place to stay in Portland and my latest experience there was the best yet. The staff was very friendly and helpful and my room was spectacular. I had booked a queen-sized room and was informed upon check-in that I had been upgraded to a king room at no extra charge. The room was gorgeous, incredibly clean and comfortable. It was quiet and relaxing and I wish I could have stayed for a few more days. The free coffee and breakfast the following morning was the icing on the cake. Just a stellar experience all-around and I look forward to staying at the Inn at St. John during my next visit to Portland.
1 night trip Mar 6, 2015
"half the price, just as nice"
the Inn was great and the staff lovely. This hotel was half the price of hotels in the area, I think because the neighborhood is a little sketchy. we were fine though and walked to a couple places with no problem. the rooms was very nice, tiny but charming. I would definitely stay here again.
1 night trip with friends Mar 2, 2015
Meghann
What An amazing place to stay for a great price! Everything was perfect. A European-style hotel that was so cute, very very clean and very quaint and nice. Would Definitely recommend it to everyone. This is how hotels used to be and should be.
"Worked out great."
Was on business, and always like to try local spots rather than some non-descript chain. Glad I did, place was clean and folks were friendly and helpful. Not the ideal location but worked out fine.
1 night business trip Feb 11, 2015
"Excellent stay"
Very nice stay, the staff were friendly and helpful, the room was clean and very well appointed with all the amenities you would only expect to find in a much more expensive establishment. We will definitely stay again.
1 night romance trip Feb 9, 2015
sandra
"Friendly and charming"
We stayed for one night and the hotel was charming. The things that stood out in my mind were the cuteness of the whole place, especially the breakfast nook, and the friendliness of the staff.
1 night romance trip Feb 7, 2015
"Charming stay great price!"
Our stay at St Johns was awesome! We were pleasantly surprised for what we paid, would definitely stay there again.
Other trip Feb 2, 2015
"Nice but noisy"
My room was overlooking Congress St. It was very noisy. You could hear everything outside. The room was very comfortable and clean, but it would have been better on a different side of the Inn.
1 night trip Jan 27, 2015
"A worthy gem in a city of expensive hotels."
This is my second time staying at the hotel, and it was even better this time! I got a large room on the first floor with two beds (a friend was traveling with me this time), and the room felt large and comfortable for two people. The complimentary morning breakfast was wonderful and it was easy to check in and check out. The price for this hotel is outstanding. The only con I can see is that it is a little bit of a walk to downtown, but honestly its worth the price and service you get for the 20 minute walk to downtown. With it being a little far from downtown, it is much easier to get to the airport and transportation center. I definitely will stay here again next time I'm in Portland.
1 night business trip Jan 28, 2015
Justen
"Very comfortable place..."
This is one great place with a lot of character and welcoming staff.
Other trip Jan 30, 2015
"Very comfortable stay"
The employees at the Inn at St. John were very hospitable and kind. It's a very cozy place, and we found it to be a welcome relief in comparison to the more conventional hotels in which we stayed during our trip.
1 night romance trip Jan 22, 2015
Zachary
"Highly Recommended"
I booked 2 nights here for it's proximity to work so I could still make my way there during a blizzard. The staff was extremely friendly, knowledgeable and accommodating. The charm of an old building was appealing to me and I find it makes me feel more at home. I rated the neighborhood lower because it can be a little sketchy at night and a little noisy from the traffic on the street, bus station across the street, and a helipad on the hospital parking garage close by. My bathroom was basically clean but I noticed more than a few hairs left in the shower from the last person. Also, the shower was quite small and the exhaust fan does not keep up with the steam. This seems to result in a musty smell in the bathroom. I did not take advantage of the continental breakfast available in the lobby. The desk staff let me store my luggage for the day after I checked out so I wouldn't have to schlep it to where I'd parked my car to keep it out of the snow storm. I will definitely stay here again.
2 night business trip Jan 26, 2015
Denise
"Comfortable and cute"
The whole place feels old but in a good way. The room was cute (granted up three-ish flights of European style stairs) and had a nice view. Felt very classic and grandmother's house. Was very clean. The sheets were a bit scratchy and too hot for me.. I slept on a towel the second night because the sheets stuck to me in the night. If you're not used to a furnace, it gets a tad loud at night. Breakfast was minimal but acceptable and the staff was very considerate and helpful. Overall, an antique place that's cute and has a good location.
Other trip Jan 26, 2015
Liz
"Comfortable and inviting"
Very nice and comfortable. Helpful staff. Stayed for two nights. WiFi was very snotty, but otherwise a very nice inn.
2 night trip with friends Jan 21, 2015
we had two rooms that were spotless and extremely comfortable to stay in an awesome place
1 night business trip Jan 12, 2015
Randy
"Cozy, historical, character"
I love historic hotels, and this one doesn't disappoint: lots of interesting qualities. Nice architecture, comfortable old-world feel, charming touches (like bathrobes and slippers in the room, makeup remover). It's on the smaller side (shower, no tub; not a ton of room in the room) but cozy.
2 night business trip Jan 9, 2015
"Fantastic Place To Stay!!!"
Our stay was absolutely wonderful. We have used this inn in the past and it is first rate. A quaint setting, victorian style. The rooms are spacious and beautifually decorated, the amenities were great and customer service was excellent. I would recommend this inn to everyone visiting Portland.
2 night family trip Jan 10, 2015
Inez
"Inn at St John"
We had a single room with a private bath that was accessible in the hallway. The hotel was unbelievable! It felt so old and classic in such a nice way.The touches everywhere were amazing. The room was tight but actually I liked it because it kept us warm and made it feel like home. The bathroom was a short two doors down and accessed by its own key and was cute with all the amenities you need. The stairs in the hotel were very unique because they went every direction with great landings. Our room had a great heater in it that was used well for us because we were still getting used to the cold. When we checked in, the room was not ready, but they gave us a great map of the city and talked with us for a bit about where to go and things to do depending on what we wanted to do. The staff also took our luggage off to the side and had it in our room ready to go when it was ready later on. In the check in area there was a tray of complimentary cookies and drinks which was much needed. The also were serving coffee in the lobby and a computer and printer for guest use. When we went downstairs to get some ice, the overnight front desk staff was nice and actually did some magic tricks for us. Breakfast in the morning consisted of very good basic foods. The hotel is on the west side of town, but it felt like we were in the middle. The baseball stadium is a couple blocks over as well as a hockey rink and a beautiful park. There are also a lot of places to eat around the hotel as well
1 night romance trip Dec 11, 2014
"Excellent value and great character"
I booked this hotel the day of on a whim in early January. For the price and character, this is by far a great value. Reminded me of Quebec or France, with a bit of a European feel, very nice desk managers, and comfortable and clean rooms. If you're expectations are that of a brand new Hilton, it'll likely fall short. But for the relative price, comfort, and character, you can't beat it. I will be recommending this to others and will have family stay here when visiting.
1 night business trip Jan 5, 2015
"Historic inn"
The Inn at Saint John was a great and affordable option for our stay in Portland. The inn was very charming and historic and was nicely decorated. The staff was courteous and always helpful in answering any questions we had. Our room was spacious. We had a private bathroom across the hall that used our key to access. There were lots of stairs as we were on the top floor but that wasn't a problem for us. The inn provided cookies and coffee 24/7 which was a nice amenity.
Other trip Jan 7, 2015
"What a great find!"
I booked last minute and got a great deal- and when I got there they bumped me up to a bigger room! The staff was very pleasant, the rooms were clean, and it was overall a beautiful hotel.
1 night trip Jan 4, 2015
Emily
"Cute and charming!"
This hotel was so quaint and clean. The rooms were small but efficient with old English charm. Breakfast was small with croissants, granola bars, coffee, juice, and toast, but they did have HUGE and delicious muffins! Free treats and drinks in the lobby 24/7. The staff was friendly and extremely helpful. Overall, an excellent hotel. We would stay here again.
1 night romance trip Jan 4, 2015
J'llysa
"Great stay with no complaints!"
We loved our stay at the Inn: pet friendly, really clean, nice staff, free breakfast, quaint and quiet, good neighborhood with free parking, and an amazing deal on hotels.com for our 2 nights stay. I will definitely come back to inn at St John for all these reasons and splurge on food and shopping in Portland.
2 night romance trip Jan 2, 2015
magali
"A funky classy old hotel"
I love this place. There are many fine hotels and motels in the Portland area, from the sleazy to the sublime. But the Inn at St. John is my favorite and where I take visiting friends and family. It is close to the Old Port, hospitals, trains and buses and planes. It is charming, clean, friendly. The owners are amazing. The stairs are not for the faint of heart and best for people traveling light, but there are totally accessible rooms on the first floor. The rooms are clean and lots of little touches make you feel fussed over.
Other trip Jan 1, 2015
Peppermint Patt
"Unique"
As downtown Portland hotels go, the I@SJ is special. A refurbished 100+ year old mansion, it has all the pluses and minuses that one might expect from such a property. On the 2nd floor, many rooms have private bathroom, but not in the room itself, in our case down a small corridor, a relatively minor inconvenience, compensated for by the price. There are many amenities not found elsewhere, e.g. robes. That said, the property has a slight museum-like quality that leads to minor anxiety about possibly breaking something.
Other trip Jan 1, 2015
AJ
"Nice stay at the Inn at St. John"
I arrived at the hotel and walked up to the front desk where there were two clerks, both of which greeted me and were very nice. They explained the hotel and the area. I chose it because it was downtown where I could walk around in the evening and it was only a couple miles from the airport for my early flight the next morning. The hotel is a very old and classy hotel and very well maintained. If you want something better than a chain hotel, then this is a great place. There are several restaurants within walking distance. I will definitely be back.
1 night business trip Dec 18, 2014
Matthew
"Convenient hotel to Maine Medical."
We were surprised to discover that the private bath was not in our room.....but down the hall. LOL. We made do and will ask for a first floor room next time which is en suite.
Other trip Dec 20, 2014
"I would stay again:)"
Everything was beautiful and well kept. The staff was friendly and happy. The only thing was the heat did not work in our room and it was 15 degrees outside. There was a small space heater in the closet that eventually warmed the room. Overall, I would definitely stay here again:) Thank you.
1 night business trip Dec 7, 2014
Sara
"Nice hotel, but strange bathrooms"
Overall a nice stay with friendly staff and a charming hotel. The only issue we had was that the bathroom was outside of the room. While not a shared bathroom, it was awkward to have to go out into the hall to use the bathroom.
1 night romance trip Dec 7, 2014
"Classy!"
Everything was great except the room was far too warm; had to crack a window and let in some 20 degree air. The private hall bathroom was down the hall a bit, and while private, was inconvenient in the middle of the night. I won't count that against them though, since I booked that room. Next time I will opt for one of the rooms with private in-room bath. The staff was amazing. Very friendly, helpful, and professional; everything felt very classy.
1 night trip Dec 4, 2014
"Quick getaway"
This was a spur of the moment overnight stay to do Christmas shopping due to projected bad traveling weather the next day. Hotel was very clean and unique. The only problem was it is on a busy street so a little more noise from passing traffic than I would have liked. I think a room on the back side of the building would have been better. We will definitely stay there again.
1 night romance trip Dec 2, 2014
"wished we could have stayed longer"
Wonderful boutique hotel with many amenities and great breakfast.
1 night romance trip Dec 2, 2014
"Will stay again"
Just the right place for me to stay. Easy to find and free parking.
2 night family trip Nov 23, 2014
Gregory
"great inn, especially if you like stairs"
I had a wonderful experience at this inn, which was available and affordable during busy season. The Inn is cozy, beautifully appointed, and the parking convenient. My room was up on top, with very many stairs to climb,, and I had a private hall bath. I couldn't have been happier, even with the slightly too-far-to-walk to downtown location, because I was so comfortable in my room when I did retire from exploring the downtown.area.
Other trip Dec 1, 2014
"Noisy Neighborhood otherwise good!"
If you like an hotel with character you will like this place. Small winding staircases over four floors. Period furniture for that olde world feel. Probably not ideal for elderly or very young children due to no elevators. I had a king room which was huge and had its own bathroom. My only gripe is I was at the front of the building and there seemed to be a bus terminus across the street and vehicles where reversing in the early hours with there warning beepers sounding. Good value for money though.
1 night business trip Nov 24, 2014
"Lots of charm for a very reasonable price"
What an unexpected finding. There is true old European flair to this hotel. The room was spacious, very well equipped and comfortable. Attention is paid to every detail. I was very pleased (and surprised) for the service/price paid. Only downside is the location, but this is an option well worth considering for your stay in Portland.
1 night romance trip Nov 16, 2014
"One Criticism"
The hotel and staff were excellent; it is a pleasant place to stay and conveniently located. If any criticism could be made, it would be in relation to the steep stairs one has to climb to reach even the first floor; for elderly or guests with physical impairments it is a difficult climb with no lift/elevator available; this said, the staff could not have been more accommodating to assist with baggage and once in the room, it was found to be very comfortable and charming.
Nice and clean, very nice staff. I think I would have liked a room with a private bathroom more, but with that being said I never saw another person in the halls or in the bathroom and we we're there on a Friday night.
Pete
"Great quaint hotel"
My wife and I spent one night at this hotel and loved it. Very clean, well situated, very quaint. It felt like an European hotel. We would definitely stay here again.
1 night romance trip Nov 16, 2014
Lawrence
"Awesome hole in the wall!"
We loved everything about this hotel from start to finish. Parking was easy, with plenty of signage. Décor was dated but in an endearing way. Cookies upon arrival. Friendly and accommodating staff. The architecture of the building is the real fun part, with winding stairs and neat nooks and crannies. Everything was super clean and you can tell they take pride in their space. Our room was so quaint and comfortable, with everything you might possibility need, including great shower products! For being so close to the city center, it was on a pretty quiet street. The bed was super comfortable and the bathroom across the hall was immaculately kept. Breakfast in the morning was plentiful and healthy! This hotel is an amazing price for the money!
Other trip Nov 18, 2014
Sophie
"Great place, 15 min walk to the State!!"
We came for live music at the State. Was a great stay! Litrally a 15 minute walk to the venue. If you need a big room, the double bed rooms are not it. I had no issue with the size, could have been a touch bigger, but no problem. Also the bathroom was down the hall with a private lock, same key as your room. Loved the place. We'll be back!
1 night trip with friends Nov 13, 2014
"Value oriented."
Unique experience. Friendly staff and very affordable. For the money you can not find a better place to stay.
1 night romance trip Oct 26, 2014
"Fine place to stay especially for the price..."
Fine place to stay especially for the price but didn't like semi private bath. I didn't realize this until I got there. It appears most of the rooms have a private bath.
Other trip Oct 23, 2014
"Semi Private Bathroom"
Make sure you read the fine print. My room was on the 4th floor with no elevator. Then I find out the room had no bathroom, only a semi private bath down the hall.
1 night business trip Oct 13, 2014