All hotels in Portland, Maine, United States of America
939 Congress St, Portland, ME, 04102, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

Lovely Inn!
1 night romance trip Aug 2, 2015
Brigitte
great hotel & staff, bed far too small...
1 night romance trip Jul 29, 2015
"Good staff/ok room"
Convenient location if you don't mind walking or using local bus service Didn't understand policy of p/u @ train station available but NOT return? And continental breakfast was ho-hum at best. No protein/generic jams/breads & weak coffee. Friendly staff helped
1 night romance trip Jul 23, 2015
Dennis
"A Real Charmer in Portland, ME"
We had to find last-minute accommodations for an overnight in Portland, ME. The Inn suited our needs wonderfully well. Front Desk staff were simply terrific. The queen bed and overall room were very comfortable indeed. TV had a lot of interference, and so I could not watch golf. Bathroom was small but nicely equipped. Room had A/C, which was most welcome. For the price, this is a truly charming Inn which is convenient to the harbor area. One cannot commend the hotel staff highly enough.
1 night family trip Jul 19, 2015
Terrill
"Cozy and sweet"
Great hotel, very cute. Room was a bit small but perfect for us. Pet friendly and really accommodating. Best continental breakfast I have had at any hotel (and I was on tour for 6 months with a theater show and ate continental breakfasts everyday).
1 night romance trip Jun 22, 2015
Timothy
"Cute and quaint!"
I loved this place!!
1 night romance trip Jul 2, 2015
Dana
"Historic Hotel with charcter and great staff"
Staff were very friendly and accommodating for some of my travel complications. The rooms are historic and clean. This is a very unique place to stay, feels like being in an old bed and breakfast. Would definitely go back. Location is roughly 25 min walk into downtown, short uber or drive.
1 night trip Jun 25, 2015
richard
"Stairs - but so worth the adventure: B&B flavor"
First visit to Portland, like the "non standard" hotel fare. This place is a cute little gem. Especially if you bring your own vehicle. We had the top floor (and I mean 3 flights of stairs - no elevator - so DON"T BRING YOUR WHEELCHAIR. Brisk internet included. There was a TV (but never turned the thing on...) The character was great. Clearly either a redone flophouse/boarding house/bordello site - but up to date with clean comfortable rooms. We had a room with a private bath that was out the room door and down the hall (it also has rooms with bathrooms to share). Parking lot of hotel was full but they have "extra parking" behind the first parking lot in a close by restaurant's lot. An exceptional breakfast included bagels, muffins, fruit, toast, orange and grape juice, yogurt and an ice machine (which was the only embarrassment - tiny and slow to go). Cookies covered in glass were present at our late check in. Really more of a bed and breakfast feel. So much more fun than a chain hotel!
2 night romance trip Jun 28, 2015
marc
We needed a place to stay since we weren't going to make it as far North as we needed so I searched Hotels.com and found a deal for this hotel. I was apprehensive at first until we arrived...OMG it was the most beautiful quaint Victorian Hotel I've ever been in! My boyfriend and I spent an hour after we checked in exploring the place and admiring the interior. We're definitely coming back, next time with a reservation for a long weekend in one of the larger corner rooms with a private bath.
1 night romance trip Jun 21, 2015
alicia
Friendly staff. Great service. Old world charm. Reminds me of Europe. I would definitely stay again.
1 night trip Jun 21, 2015
Philip
"It was a nice experience"
We stayed for one night. The location was good. Liked the olden style architecture. Didn't have elevator so it was a little hard to move my big suitcase upstairs. Friendly front desk people and nice and simple breakfast.
1 night romance trip Jun 8, 2015
Mohankumar
"Convenience of hotel, charm of B&B"
The hotel has a charming B&B character. Free parking and breakfast were the two criteria we look for and they provided both (continental breakfast). The walk into the Portland 'town' area was about 20-25 minute and I would recommend if you were a girl by yourself to drive into town, (paid) parking wasn't too difficult to find. The bed was comfortable however our private bathroom was quite small (especially for my 6'3" partner). The room was facing Commercial St so it was slightly noisy, and the a/c unit was also a bit noisy. Overall a good stay for the price we paid.
1 night romance trip May 25, 2015
An-Chi
"Bed was awful- bathroom across the hall"
Checked out and did not spend the night. Bed was uncomfortable. Careless staff
Other trip May 29, 2015
steve
"Nice B&B, but lots of stairs"
We enjoyed our stay, but I must say that there were a lot of stairs involved. We are over 60 and it was a challenge for us.
Other trip May 29, 2015
"Cheapest and nicest one in town !!!"
we had a dog and had to be on the third floor with no elevators but the overall greatness of this hotel far outweighed that !
Other trip May 21, 2015
BJ
"Yikes, no elevator"
The hotel and staff were quite nice. Wasn't terribly close to restaurants but not inconvenient to get to anyplace. The only real drawback was three flights of steep stairs to climb, no elevator. The staff was very helpful.
1 night romance trip May 11, 2015
"Love at first sight!"
Adorable little Fawlty Towers type hotel! I had a wonderful experience. Rooms were clean, place was quiet and cozy. My room was 6A. Had a nice private bathroom. I would absolutely recommend this to others! Especially if you enjoy a little different experience than just another standard hotel.
1 night trip May 5, 2015
Always great. Incredible at the price. Very romantic and pretty much a perfect location.
Other trip May 6, 2015
Jen
"Love this Place"
My husband and I stayed one night in April 2015. I love this place. The lobby staff was friendly and informative, the room clean and comfortable, and I loved the antique decor. It was maybe a 15-20 minute walk into town. The area in which the hotel's located is a little run down but not what I'd call a "bad" neighborhood; we felt perfectly safe walking to and from the hotel. We had a shared bathroom which was a first for us but it worked out fine; there was a sink in the room which was nice. For $70 it was a real find. I highly recommend The Inn at St John.
1 night romance trip Apr 25, 2015
Noreen
"Love this hotel, will be back."
This is a lovely, European-style hotel just west of downtown so beginning to get a bit of sprawl around it. Free off street parking. Staff very courteous and polite. Squeaky clean and lots of little amenities and touches, for instance cookies, tea and coffee in the lobby, colored towels in the bath, flat screen TV and easy to use remote control and amazing rates!
1 night business trip Apr 19, 2015
"Beautiful hotel"
The staffs were friendly and the place was really nice. Our room with a single bed was switched to a double bed when they saw that we might need it with the number of us and also an extra air bed was set up for us. I love how they leave milk and cookies out for the guests, and coffee. Just a nice, quiet hotel with an air of mystery and a life from the past.
Other trip Apr 8, 2015
kelly
"Great value at a cool old-style hotel"
The hotel was a nice walk away from the downtown/Old Port. A small and cozy room with just enough space to change and unpack. Very old design, with skinny, fancy, carpeted stairways and nice decorations. The breakfast was a bit better than the typical continental and the staff was very helpful. Only issue was a rattling hot water pipe from about midnight to 8 AM. The staff was apologetic but seemed to already know it was an issue. I would recommend bringing earplugs in case you get a room. Overall, a great value and good find if you're a deep sleeper!
1 night romance trip Mar 19, 2015
NOT for light sleepers .... there's a bus station across the street and busses run 24 / 7 .... also .... no elevator ... so ... pack light !!
Other trip Mar 15, 2015
"Nice, clean, affordable stay!"
Excellent place to stay. Small, quiet and unique. This is not a chain hotel, which is a good thing! More like a European type hotel, similar to hotels in Paris. Great accommodations at a very reasonable price. Get the in-room private bath if available. Some rooms offer a private bath across the hall (separate from your room). Separate bath works fine, but better in your room. Clean rooms, no smoking smell, zero tolerance for smoking inside! Nice. They provide a decent, light, cold breakfast in AM. Cold water bottles and cookies available most always at other times. Staff is A+. Always looking to help or answer questions. Parking behind the hotel is limited but they have more just a little further. A few good eats in the immediate area, but a short hop to the core downtown. Easy bike ride or 5 minute drive. We stayed on two separate occasions and can highly recommend. One caveat, no elevator, so you will have to troop up the stairs a level or two.
1 night romance trip Mar 6, 2015
"Another stellar experience at the Inn at St. John!"
The Inn at St. John is a perfect place to stay in Portland and my latest experience there was the best yet. The staff was very friendly and helpful and my room was spectacular. I had booked a queen-sized room and was informed upon check-in that I had been upgraded to a king room at no extra charge. The room was gorgeous, incredibly clean and comfortable. It was quiet and relaxing and I wish I could have stayed for a few more days. The free coffee and breakfast the following morning was the icing on the cake. Just a stellar experience all-around and I look forward to staying at the Inn at St. John during my next visit to Portland.
1 night trip Mar 6, 2015
"half the price, just as nice"
the Inn was great and the staff lovely. This hotel was half the price of hotels in the area, I think because the neighborhood is a little sketchy. we were fine though and walked to a couple places with no problem. the rooms was very nice, tiny but charming. I would definitely stay here again.
1 night trip with friends Mar 2, 2015
Meghann
Lovely Inn close to restaurants, shopping and Sea Dogs!
Other trip Mar 5, 2015
"Cute Inn"
The hotel was very nice and clean. The staff was friendly and helpful.
Other trip Feb 25, 2015
Our stay was wonderful! A quaint European-style hotel right in the middle of Portland!
Other trip Feb 22, 2015
What An amazing place to stay for a great price! Everything was perfect. A European-style hotel that was so cute, very very clean and very quaint and nice. Would Definitely recommend it to everyone. This is how hotels used to be and should be.
"Worked out great."
Was on business, and always like to try local spots rather than some non-descript chain. Glad I did, place was clean and folks were friendly and helpful. Not the ideal location but worked out fine.
1 night business trip Feb 11, 2015
"Excellent stay"
Very nice stay, the staff were friendly and helpful, the room was clean and very well appointed with all the amenities you would only expect to find in a much more expensive establishment. We will definitely stay again.
1 night romance trip Feb 9, 2015
sandra
"Friendly and charming"
We stayed for one night and the hotel was charming. The things that stood out in my mind were the cuteness of the whole place, especially the breakfast nook, and the friendliness of the staff.
1 night romance trip Feb 7, 2015
"Charming stay great price!"
Our stay at St Johns was awesome! We were pleasantly surprised for what we paid, would definitely stay there again.
Other trip Feb 2, 2015
"Nice but noisy"
My room was overlooking Congress St. It was very noisy. You could hear everything outside. The room was very comfortable and clean, but it would have been better on a different side of the Inn.
1 night trip Jan 27, 2015
"A worthy gem in a city of expensive hotels."
This is my second time staying at the hotel, and it was even better this time! I got a large room on the first floor with two beds (a friend was traveling with me this time), and the room felt large and comfortable for two people. The complimentary morning breakfast was wonderful and it was easy to check in and check out. The price for this hotel is outstanding. The only con I can see is that it is a little bit of a walk to downtown, but honestly its worth the price and service you get for the 20 minute walk to downtown. With it being a little far from downtown, it is much easier to get to the airport and transportation center. I definitely will stay here again next time I'm in Portland.
1 night business trip Jan 28, 2015
Justen
"Very comfortable place..."
This is one great place with a lot of character and welcoming staff.
Other trip Jan 30, 2015
"Very comfortable stay"
The employees at the Inn at St. John were very hospitable and kind. It's a very cozy place, and we found it to be a welcome relief in comparison to the more conventional hotels in which we stayed during our trip.
1 night romance trip Jan 22, 2015
Zachary
"Highly Recommended"
I booked 2 nights here for it's proximity to work so I could still make my way there during a blizzard. The staff was extremely friendly, knowledgeable and accommodating. The charm of an old building was appealing to me and I find it makes me feel more at home. I rated the neighborhood lower because it can be a little sketchy at night and a little noisy from the traffic on the street, bus station across the street, and a helipad on the hospital parking garage close by. My bathroom was basically clean but I noticed more than a few hairs left in the shower from the last person. Also, the shower was quite small and the exhaust fan does not keep up with the steam. This seems to result in a musty smell in the bathroom. I did not take advantage of the continental breakfast available in the lobby. The desk staff let me store my luggage for the day after I checked out so I wouldn't have to schlep it to where I'd parked my car to keep it out of the snow storm. I will definitely stay here again.
2 night business trip Jan 26, 2015
Denise
"Comfortable and cute"
The whole place feels old but in a good way. The room was cute (granted up three-ish flights of European style stairs) and had a nice view. Felt very classic and grandmother's house. Was very clean. The sheets were a bit scratchy and too hot for me.. I slept on a towel the second night because the sheets stuck to me in the night. If you're not used to a furnace, it gets a tad loud at night. Breakfast was minimal but acceptable and the staff was very considerate and helpful. Overall, an antique place that's cute and has a good location.
Other trip Jan 26, 2015
Liz
"Comfortable and inviting"
Very nice and comfortable. Helpful staff. Stayed for two nights. WiFi was very snotty, but otherwise a very nice inn.
2 night trip with friends Jan 21, 2015
we had two rooms that were spotless and extremely comfortable to stay in an awesome place
1 night business trip Jan 12, 2015
Randy
"Cozy, historical, character"
I love historic hotels, and this one doesn't disappoint: lots of interesting qualities. Nice architecture, comfortable old-world feel, charming touches (like bathrobes and slippers in the room, makeup remover). It's on the smaller side (shower, no tub; not a ton of room in the room) but cozy.
2 night business trip Jan 9, 2015
"Fantastic Place To Stay!!!"
Our stay was absolutely wonderful. We have used this inn in the past and it is first rate. A quaint setting, victorian style. The rooms are spacious and beautifually decorated, the amenities were great and customer service was excellent. I would recommend this inn to everyone visiting Portland.
2 night family trip Jan 10, 2015
Inez
"Inn at St John"
We had a single room with a private bath that was accessible in the hallway. The hotel was unbelievable! It felt so old and classic in such a nice way.The touches everywhere were amazing. The room was tight but actually I liked it because it kept us warm and made it feel like home. The bathroom was a short two doors down and accessed by its own key and was cute with all the amenities you need. The stairs in the hotel were very unique because they went every direction with great landings. Our room had a great heater in it that was used well for us because we were still getting used to the cold. When we checked in, the room was not ready, but they gave us a great map of the city and talked with us for a bit about where to go and things to do depending on what we wanted to do. The staff also took our luggage off to the side and had it in our room ready to go when it was ready later on. In the check in area there was a tray of complimentary cookies and drinks which was much needed. The also were serving coffee in the lobby and a computer and printer for guest use. When we went downstairs to get some ice, the overnight front desk staff was nice and actually did some magic tricks for us. Breakfast in the morning consisted of very good basic foods. The hotel is on the west side of town, but it felt like we were in the middle. The baseball stadium is a couple blocks over as well as a hockey rink and a beautiful park. There are also a lot of places to eat around the hotel as well
1 night romance trip Dec 11, 2014
"Excellent value and great character"
I booked this hotel the day of on a whim in early January. For the price and character, this is by far a great value. Reminded me of Quebec or France, with a bit of a European feel, very nice desk managers, and comfortable and clean rooms. If you're expectations are that of a brand new Hilton, it'll likely fall short. But for the relative price, comfort, and character, you can't beat it. I will be recommending this to others and will have family stay here when visiting.
1 night business trip Jan 5, 2015
"Historic inn"
The Inn at Saint John was a great and affordable option for our stay in Portland. The inn was very charming and historic and was nicely decorated. The staff was courteous and always helpful in answering any questions we had. Our room was spacious. We had a private bathroom across the hall that used our key to access. There were lots of stairs as we were on the top floor but that wasn't a problem for us. The inn provided cookies and coffee 24/7 which was a nice amenity.
Other trip Jan 7, 2015
"What a great find!"
I booked last minute and got a great deal- and when I got there they bumped me up to a bigger room! The staff was very pleasant, the rooms were clean, and it was overall a beautiful hotel.
1 night trip Jan 4, 2015
Emily
"Cute and charming!"
This hotel was so quaint and clean. The rooms were small but efficient with old English charm. Breakfast was small with croissants, granola bars, coffee, juice, and toast, but they did have HUGE and delicious muffins! Free treats and drinks in the lobby 24/7. The staff was friendly and extremely helpful. Overall, an excellent hotel. We would stay here again.
1 night romance trip Jan 4, 2015
J'llysa
"Great stay with no complaints!"
We loved our stay at the Inn: pet friendly, really clean, nice staff, free breakfast, quaint and quiet, good neighborhood with free parking, and an amazing deal on hotels.com for our 2 nights stay. I will definitely come back to inn at St John for all these reasons and splurge on food and shopping in Portland.
2 night romance trip Jan 2, 2015