All hotels in Portland, Maine, United States of America
You can collect Hotels.com® Rewards nights here939 Congress St, Portland, ME, 04102, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Very positive experience."
A great change from chain establishments. Lots of character and helpful staff. Also really enjoyed the Dogfish Cafe, which is only steps from the Inn. Looking forward to a return visit.
1 night family trip Oct 16, 2014
CATHERINE
"Shared bathrooms"
If you stay here you will probably have a semi-private bathroom. Not all the rooms have a bathroom. You share with other people on that floor. The shower is probably a 2'x2'. It's extremely small and this hotel doesn't have an elevator. So if you are on the 3rd floor, like we were, you must carry your bags up 3 flights of stairs and back down. They do have someone to help when checking in. It definitely not handicap friendly. Also bring your own hair dryer if you don't reserve a room with a private bathroom. The front desk will claim that a hair dryer is in each room, but it's not! Had to borrow one from the maid.
1 night trip Sep 29, 2014
"Solid Digs"
My wife and I truly enjoyed our stay at the Inn. The breakfast was very average - but other than that, our experience was flawless.
1 night trip Sep 18, 2014
Tommy N.
"Cute and moderate but cramped."
I thought I was lucky to find a moderately priced room in Portland in July, but the room, although cute and clean, was very monastic--twin bed, shared bath, and very tiny, like half of a dorm room at college. The stairs are pretty steep to the third-floor walk-up (no elevator, so don't bring noting heavy!). A simply breakfast was included, but there was barely room to sit. For the money, I think I would go farther out next time for more space and comfort.
Other trip Jul 19, 2014
Anna
The room was very nice and comfortable and I would recommend it highly. It was central to most places we wanted to visit and easy to get to. The staff was highly accommodating since expedia did not put us in a room that we expected. If anyone should get a bad rating it should be expedia.
Other trip Jul 15, 2014
charming Victorian hotel. Great service. Not too far from the Port area.
1 night trip Jul 3, 2014
Art
"Excellent staff, convenient location"
The Inn staff were so wonderful and accommodating! I forgot my son's sippy cup at home and went looking for a straw for breakfast. When they didn't have any, they sent one of their staff out to get one for me. They went out of their way to be helpful and friendly, too! The room we were in was small and cozy, but for the price, you can't beat it. The continental breakfast was very nice and it is about a 15 minute walk to the old downtown area, which is full of neat little shops and art spaces.
2 night family trip Jun 29, 2014
"Hotel was available"
Great
1 night trip Jun 29, 2014
Elaine
Good breakfast, comfy room and the staff was super friendly and eager to please
1 night trip Jun 15, 2014
"Lovely surprise"
Good deal for the price. Great staff, good breakfast. Wasn't crazy about the shared bathroom which I didn't realize when I made my reservation. Room very clean of course it is a historic in so very pleasanly old fashioned. No elevator so if you don't do steps get the lower floor. My only complaint was towels could be nicer. Yes I would go back.
1 night trip Jun 12, 2014
Tina
"Very Pleasant Surprise"
Very nice staff, clean room, and what a great discovery. Comfortable queen bed and AC made the total package. Only two things that made me cringe; 1) not enough parking for all guests; ended up having to park in the restaurant parking lot behind the Inn but was assured its monitored. 2) No elevator- not truly bothered by the climbing of stairs but more annoyed of the map I had to take to find my room. While an elevator is a convenience, it's also a central/starting point. Add a winding staircase to the twist and turns . . . Oof. I will stay here again. Can't beat the rate, especially since I feel you get great value for what you pay.
1 night business trip Jun 3, 2014
"Right downtown convenience"
The Inn was very rustic. Great staff. Room comfortable, however it was on the 4th floor and no elevator!!! There were no rooms available on a lower floor. It was very difficult for me to climb all those stairs, narrow stairways and reletive steep steps.
Other trip Jun 7, 2014
"Perfect Honeymoon Getaway"
We stayed one evening at the Inn at St. John. It was within a mile (walking distance for us) of lots of different attractions in town. We were able to take in a SeaDogs game, walk to our rental car, and take leisurely strolls through town. The hotel itself was wonderful! We had a room with a private bath. It was the best night sleep we've had on our entire trip! The bed was super comfortable, clean, and the staff was incredibly kind. Every time we went anyway they offered to take our bags for us, and they always had a few goodies in the lobby that we could help ourselves to. We would definitely stay there again AND recommend it to our family and friends!
Other trip Jun 5, 2014
HoJo
"Beautiful hotel"
I fell in love with this hotel. The rooms were very pretty. All so unique and with much character. The bathroom in the hallway was kinda cool. Not as inconvenient as one would think. I totally want to go again
1 night trip Jun 1, 2014
"Decent hotel at decent price"
Didn't see much as I was literally in at midnight and out the next morning. Wasn't a fan of the shared bathroom but at the price point, I really couldn't complain. Very much like a B&B on a much larger scale. Would recommend for those on a short stay.
1 night trip May 29, 2014
Alfred
"Nice B&B close to the Portland SeaDogs stadium"
There was just one bathroom for the upper floor (for 4 or 5 rooms), but we never had much of a wait for it. Free parking in back, good restaurants within walking distance, helpful staff. I'd go back.
Other trip May 30, 2014
"Excellent service."
The Inn at St. John is like a trip back in time. Quiet and calm atmosphere. Top of the line.
Other trip May 17, 2014
Nelson
"A real gem"
Have stayed here several times and never disappointed. compared to the cookie cutter alternatives it is nice to stay in a place with character. Price is best for intown Portland and a reasonable walking distance to everything
1 night trip May 11, 2014
Tony
"Nice place with the right price"
Staff were really friendly, room was clean, breakfast was nice. Next time I would pay a bit extra for a private bath.
Other trip May 14, 2014
"Very comfortable - great sleep!"
We found the hotel very comfortable under a lot of aspects: easy parking, big room, big bed, big bathroom with tub and all the neccessaire to have a nice long bath including bathroabes and makeup removal. So I had a great sleep! Breakfast was nice but not spectacular. I liked the fresh fruit. One can have a snack whenever he likes because the buffet is always there. The price was fantastic for this kind of service! We had to take the car to town but Portalnd (Maine) is realy ok for parking.
1 night trip Apr 27, 2014
Lelia S
"Inn at St John"
Staff extremely helpful and friendly. Building is a little quirky with lots of stairs and no elevator. Would stay again in a minute but would pay extra for ground floor! Had a lovely time visiting with all the staff!
4 night trip May 5, 2014
Sue
"Quaint & Hospitable"
Though not in the perfect neighborhood, it is very central with great access to everywhere in greater Portland. The property is very well kept, clean, and well maintained. You may have to climb some stairs as the age of the property does not accomodate an elevator, but that's par for the course, and should be expected at a property such as this. Very hospitable staff at all hours of the day and night, and a full carb rich continental breakfast is offered with your stay as well.
1 night trip Apr 30, 2014
"awesome little spot"
close enough to all the fun of downtown without costing you an arm and a leg. the staff were friendly and beyond helpful. i missed out on the breakfast during my stay as i'm not a morning person, but i definitely enjoyed the complimentary coffee every day. a $6 cab ride to downtown (along with being on the MRTA bus #1 route makes getting to the good stuff downtown a breeze. would absolutely book here again.
3 night trip Apr 27, 2014
Billy W.
"Affordable, comfortable and clean"
I have to say this is the cleanest hotel/inn I have ever stayed at. It was a small room but it was only me in the room so it served its purpose. My bathroom was down the hall and it was fine because only I had a key to it. Again, the cleanliness was impeccable.
1 night business trip Apr 28, 2014
Jaime
"Cozy, friendly, comfortable, unique!"
They upgraded my room for free, so that was a nice bonus. Hotel staff was very friendly. Rooms were immaculate. Rooms are well equipped, mine had a Kermit machine and a mini fridge. Beds were comfortable. All in all, lovely, especially considering the very reasonable price. Will return!
Other trip Apr 29, 2014
"Excellent service"
Staff were ery helpful .Room was clean, comfortable and charming.
1 night trip Apr 20, 2014
"Quirky, Victorian style hotel rooms"
I wondered what the low cost of the rooms for our 2-day stay would get us, and was prepared for a shifty motel-type "inn" -- but we were extremely pleasantly surprised by the Inn at St. John. The Inn is quirky and unique, feels more like a home than any hotel I've stayed in, has the friendliest staff I've encountered, and I would definitely stay there again and recommend it to others. It's on College Street, which is a main road in Portland, and a good walk will get you from the Inn to a hundred excellent restaurants, including the shops and restaurants in Old Port. The only potential point to note for those with limited mobility is that since the Inn appears to be a converted house, there are a lot of interesting hallways and staircases, making the upper levels difficult (or impossible) to access for someone with limited mobility.
Other trip Apr 9, 2014
A
"Great place for a quick stopover"
Stayed here to catch a 3 am bus from Portland. Very clean and comfortable room. Quiet when I went to sleep about 10, but a loud TV in the next room woke me up about 2--thin walls. Bathroom was across the hall, but that was fine for me--European feel. Very quick ride to the Amtrak and bus station, and not much farther to the PWM airport. Great spot at a very reasonable price--would stay again.
Other trip Apr 6, 2014
Duckie
I thought the front desk people were really nice, great location and suprisingly quaint!
1 night trip Apr 3, 2014
Bad parking.
1 night business trip Apr 3, 2014
"beautiful and historic"
It was a beautiful location and the hotel staff was very friendly and thorough. The room was beautiful and comfortable. The only negative that is reflected in the rating is that I was hoping to sleep in and I was woken up by hammering in the next room at 9:30am. Which is a decent hour it was just a shock to wake up to that. I would have appreciated a heads up. but otherwise very accommodating I would stay at and recommend this hotel again. My friend had a 6am flight and they made sure breakfast was out for her by 5am
1 night trip Mar 31, 2014
"It's like staying at home!"
Staff was wonderful, parking is tight but it's walking distance to a few restaurants and everything was very comfy!
Other trip Mar 28, 2014
"Great Hotel with Charm and Friendly Staff"
My friend and I visited for a couple of days and found this inn. It was very affordable and a great deal for the price we paid (especially since we are on college student budgets). From the moment we walked in, the staff were extremely friendly and helpful providing us with recommendations, maps, and directions. The included continental breakfast also exceeded our expectations and was great! The room itself was clean, nice, and had the same amenities as any other hotel. We absolutely loved our stay and look forward to visiting the area and The Inn at St. John again!
Other trip Mar 27, 2014
Kristina
"Best option for the prrice"
You get good value for money. Nice room with fridge, coffee etc. Location is convenient to downtown and old port, but in a seedy neighborhood on lower Congress St, across from the Greyhound station. My only complaint is the room smelled heavily of perfume, perhaps meant to mask tobacco smoke. I would prefer the tobacco smoke.
1 night trip Mar 19, 2014
Ken
"Small and Cozy"
Just stayed for a weekday night. Like the other reviews say, it is a blast from the past, Victorian in style. We had a room with a private hallway bathroom (you have to leave your room, walk down the hallway about 10ft to get to the bathroom, but it's all yours) and it worked just fine. No glitz or glam, just a nice little comfy room. It's in a fairly quiet part of town not too far away from the goodies in Old Port. Some reviews say it's in kind of a sketchy place, but it's really not. It's just not the Hamptons. Also right down the street is a reaaaaaally good little place for brunch (and probably dinner) called Hot Suppa! that's worth a visit (cause the continental breakfast is less like a continent and more like Rhode Island). The corned beef and hash is the jam! Anyway, I would absolutely stay at this little B&B again. Price was also a big draw.
Other trip Mar 19, 2014
"Great Place Good Location"
Really nice stay in Portland because of this hotel. The staff was helpful and accommodating room was small but very clean a comfortable...I believe all the rooms are different sizes. The price was right and it is on a bus line. It is an easy walk to the central part of the town. Easy parking in the rear. Stores and restaurants all around. The area may be commercial but it does not detract from the hotel. It reminded me of Europe a little. If you need an elevator this place will not due. I do not mind stairs. My bathroom was across the hall but it was NOT shared it was all mine! I will be back if I need place to stay in Portland.
1 night trip Mar 7, 2014
Geoff Huppe
"A gem in the rough"
The hotel was super cute and quirky. our bed was not very comfortable and I was booked a queen and ended up in a double, but other than that, have only great things to say. The front desk agent was super friendly and helpful. The decor was fun. The continental breakfast was decent. The overall value was outstanding.
1 night trip Mar 3, 2014
ab
"Very wonderful!!"
Very wonderful!! However, unfortunately the parking space is limited....
Other trip Mar 5, 2014
Mac
"Personal service was extraordinary..."
This is the first time we stayed here, it was exceptional. The customer service was top rate. They went out of their way to accommodate us. We only didn't know that our room was on the fourth floor with no elevator. We had to walk to the State Theatre in the snow and back as taxis were an hour delayed. We certainly got in our exercise. It would be nice though if we had a microwave close to us so we wouldn't have to go up and down the stairs 8 times. Overall, we will definitely stay there again!!!!! and recommend it to everyone!!!!
Other trip Feb 22, 2014
"Very nice for a building with the age and history"
I was impressed with the age and history of the hotel.The stairswas some what of a problem with my wife being handy capped. I wish that the web sight showed more of the lay out so you could under stand what you was getting into. If i was to have known that we was staying on the 3rd floor and only had stairs i would have probely have stayed some place else. Unless we could have gotting a room on the 1st floor. bur overall very historic.
1 night business trip Feb 3, 2014
"Nice, pretty, clean"
Great bargain. Easy to find, pleasant staff, clean pretty room, comfortable, good breakfast choices. A/C and heat on, fan was loud, turned it off with no issue. The shower knob broke and it was fixed in minutes! Need to be able to climb stairs.
Other trip Feb 1, 2014
"Portland, ME visit"
Overall, excellent as usual, but those stairs can be tough on the old knees. Next time we will book a better room on the first floor. As in the past, this hotel is very well run and the staff are some of the very best. Great place to stay and in a great town
1 night trip Jan 29, 2014
Jim Thompson
"Nice Place-"
Comfortable and Convenient -
1 night trip Jan 24, 2014
Buddy
Due to a cancelled flight, we stayed another night. The rooms were clean. The staff was friendly and helpful. We didn't like the bathroom-down-the-hall arrangement, but the room was relatively inexpensive.
1 night trip Jan 20, 2014
Z & D
"President Thomas Jefferson died here"
The hotel is 136 years old and has not been updated since the grand opening. You can tell that at one point the inn at St. John was a corner stone of Maine but clearly that was 136 years ago. My room was a little spooky and I wondered at what point of the night was the howling going to start and will the wall start bleeding. Maybe if I'm lucky President Tom Jefferson would show up himself in his ghostly manner.
Other trip Jan 23, 2014
Needles
"Great place to stay!"
I stayed at Inn at St. John because I had a residency interview at Maine Medical Center. The location is close to the hospital, close to downtown, and the rooms are quaint and wonderful!
Other trip Jan 22, 2014
"Friendly staff clean rooms"
2nd time staying at this hotel, staff is very friendly and the hotel is very clean and welcoming. Disliked the shared bathrooms and showers were very small, some rooms do have a private bath but not in the rooms. Will be staying again
1 night trip Jan 11, 2014
Henry
"Great Place!"
Very nice room! Colored towels and great cookies! We came in after 10PM and they put out cookies for us. Nice breakfast and excellent front desk!!! Highly recommended, Wanted to stay their on my return trip but it was booked :( You won't be sorry! Very clean also!!!!
1 night trip Jan 12, 2014
Mick
"Great deal!"
Comfortable, clean and luxurious accommodations given the price.
1 night trip Jan 13, 2014
"Stop looking and book it!"
Quaint, cute and the best value for your money. Super clean, great friendly helpful staff. If you don't like the charm of staying at a home - dont book. If you can't climb stairs be sure to ask for a ground floor room. I loved this place!
Other trip Jan 6, 2014