All hotels in Portland, Maine, United States of America
939 Congress St, Portland, ME, 04102, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"A funky classy old hotel"
I love this place. There are many fine hotels and motels in the Portland area, from the sleazy to the sublime. But the Inn at St. John is my favorite and where I take visiting friends and family. It is close to the Old Port, hospitals, trains and buses and planes. It is charming, clean, friendly. The owners are amazing. The stairs are not for the faint of heart and best for people traveling light, but there are totally accessible rooms on the first floor. The rooms are clean and lots of little touches make you feel fussed over.
Other trip Jan 1, 2015
Peppermint Patt
"Unique"
As downtown Portland hotels go, the I@SJ is special. A refurbished 100+ year old mansion, it has all the pluses and minuses that one might expect from such a property. On the 2nd floor, many rooms have private bathroom, but not in the room itself, in our case down a small corridor, a relatively minor inconvenience, compensated for by the price. There are many amenities not found elsewhere, e.g. robes. That said, the property has a slight museum-like quality that leads to minor anxiety about possibly breaking something.
Other trip Jan 1, 2015
AJ
"Nice stay at the Inn at St. John"
I arrived at the hotel and walked up to the front desk where there were two clerks, both of which greeted me and were very nice. They explained the hotel and the area. I chose it because it was downtown where I could walk around in the evening and it was only a couple miles from the airport for my early flight the next morning. The hotel is a very old and classy hotel and very well maintained. If you want something better than a chain hotel, then this is a great place. There are several restaurants within walking distance. I will definitely be back.
1 night business trip Dec 18, 2014
Matthew
"Convenient hotel to Maine Medical."
We were surprised to discover that the private bath was not in our room.....but down the hall. LOL. We made do and will ask for a first floor room next time which is en suite.
Other trip Dec 20, 2014
"I would stay again:)"
Everything was beautiful and well kept. The staff was friendly and happy. The only thing was the heat did not work in our room and it was 15 degrees outside. There was a small space heater in the closet that eventually warmed the room. Overall, I would definitely stay here again:) Thank you.
1 night business trip Dec 7, 2014
Sara
"Nice hotel, but strange bathrooms"
Overall a nice stay with friendly staff and a charming hotel. The only issue we had was that the bathroom was outside of the room. While not a shared bathroom, it was awkward to have to go out into the hall to use the bathroom.
1 night romance trip Dec 7, 2014
"Classy!"
Everything was great except the room was far too warm; had to crack a window and let in some 20 degree air. The private hall bathroom was down the hall a bit, and while private, was inconvenient in the middle of the night. I won't count that against them though, since I booked that room. Next time I will opt for one of the rooms with private in-room bath. The staff was amazing. Very friendly, helpful, and professional; everything felt very classy.
1 night trip Dec 4, 2014
"Quick getaway"
This was a spur of the moment overnight stay to do Christmas shopping due to projected bad traveling weather the next day. Hotel was very clean and unique. The only problem was it is on a busy street so a little more noise from passing traffic than I would have liked. I think a room on the back side of the building would have been better. We will definitely stay there again.
1 night romance trip Dec 2, 2014
"wished we could have stayed longer"
Wonderful boutique hotel with many amenities and great breakfast.
1 night romance trip Dec 2, 2014
"Will stay again"
Just the right place for me to stay. Easy to find and free parking.
2 night family trip Nov 23, 2014
Gregory
"great inn, especially if you like stairs"
I had a wonderful experience at this inn, which was available and affordable during busy season. The Inn is cozy, beautifully appointed, and the parking convenient. My room was up on top, with very many stairs to climb,, and I had a private hall bath. I couldn't have been happier, even with the slightly too-far-to-walk to downtown location, because I was so comfortable in my room when I did retire from exploring the downtown.area.
Other trip Dec 1, 2014
"Noisy Neighborhood otherwise good!"
If you like an hotel with character you will like this place. Small winding staircases over four floors. Period furniture for that olde world feel. Probably not ideal for elderly or very young children due to no elevators. I had a king room which was huge and had its own bathroom. My only gripe is I was at the front of the building and there seemed to be a bus terminus across the street and vehicles where reversing in the early hours with there warning beepers sounding. Good value for money though.
1 night business trip Nov 24, 2014
"Lots of charm for a very reasonable price"
What an unexpected finding. There is true old European flair to this hotel. The room was spacious, very well equipped and comfortable. Attention is paid to every detail. I was very pleased (and surprised) for the service/price paid. Only downside is the location, but this is an option well worth considering for your stay in Portland.
1 night romance trip Nov 16, 2014
"One Criticism"
The hotel and staff were excellent; it is a pleasant place to stay and conveniently located. If any criticism could be made, it would be in relation to the steep stairs one has to climb to reach even the first floor; for elderly or guests with physical impairments it is a difficult climb with no lift/elevator available; this said, the staff could not have been more accommodating to assist with baggage and once in the room, it was found to be very comfortable and charming.
Nice and clean, very nice staff. I think I would have liked a room with a private bathroom more, but with that being said I never saw another person in the halls or in the bathroom and we we're there on a Friday night.
Pete
"Great quaint hotel"
My wife and I spent one night at this hotel and loved it. Very clean, well situated, very quaint. It felt like an European hotel. We would definitely stay here again.
1 night romance trip Nov 16, 2014
Lawrence
"Awesome hole in the wall!"
We loved everything about this hotel from start to finish. Parking was easy, with plenty of signage. Décor was dated but in an endearing way. Cookies upon arrival. Friendly and accommodating staff. The architecture of the building is the real fun part, with winding stairs and neat nooks and crannies. Everything was super clean and you can tell they take pride in their space. Our room was so quaint and comfortable, with everything you might possibility need, including great shower products! For being so close to the city center, it was on a pretty quiet street. The bed was super comfortable and the bathroom across the hall was immaculately kept. Breakfast in the morning was plentiful and healthy! This hotel is an amazing price for the money!
Other trip Nov 18, 2014
Sophie
"Great place, 15 min walk to the State!!"
We came for live music at the State. Was a great stay! Litrally a 15 minute walk to the venue. If you need a big room, the double bed rooms are not it. I had no issue with the size, could have been a touch bigger, but no problem. Also the bathroom was down the hall with a private lock, same key as your room. Loved the place. We'll be back!
1 night trip with friends Nov 13, 2014
"Value oriented."
Unique experience. Friendly staff and very affordable. For the money you can not find a better place to stay.
1 night romance trip Oct 26, 2014
"Fine place to stay especially for the price..."
Fine place to stay especially for the price but didn't like semi private bath. I didn't realize this until I got there. It appears most of the rooms have a private bath.
Other trip Oct 23, 2014
"Semi Private Bathroom"
Make sure you read the fine print. My room was on the 4th floor with no elevator. Then I find out the room had no bathroom, only a semi private bath down the hall.
1 night business trip Oct 13, 2014
"Very positive experience."
A great change from chain establishments. Lots of character and helpful staff. Also really enjoyed the Dogfish Cafe, which is only steps from the Inn. Looking forward to a return visit.
1 night family trip Oct 16, 2014
CATHERINE
"Shared bathrooms"
If you stay here you will probably have a semi-private bathroom. Not all the rooms have a bathroom. You share with other people on that floor. The shower is probably a 2'x2'. It's extremely small and this hotel doesn't have an elevator. So if you are on the 3rd floor, like we were, you must carry your bags up 3 flights of stairs and back down. They do have someone to help when checking in. It definitely not handicap friendly. Also bring your own hair dryer if you don't reserve a room with a private bathroom. The front desk will claim that a hair dryer is in each room, but it's not! Had to borrow one from the maid.
1 night trip Sep 29, 2014
"Solid Digs"
My wife and I truly enjoyed our stay at the Inn. The breakfast was very average - but other than that, our experience was flawless.
1 night trip Sep 18, 2014
Tommy N.
"Cute and moderate but cramped."
I thought I was lucky to find a moderately priced room in Portland in July, but the room, although cute and clean, was very monastic--twin bed, shared bath, and very tiny, like half of a dorm room at college. The stairs are pretty steep to the third-floor walk-up (no elevator, so don't bring noting heavy!). A simply breakfast was included, but there was barely room to sit. For the money, I think I would go farther out next time for more space and comfort.
Other trip Jul 19, 2014
Anna
The room was very nice and comfortable and I would recommend it highly. It was central to most places we wanted to visit and easy to get to. The staff was highly accommodating since expedia did not put us in a room that we expected. If anyone should get a bad rating it should be expedia.
Other trip Jul 15, 2014
charming Victorian hotel. Great service. Not too far from the Port area.
1 night trip Jul 3, 2014
Art
"Excellent staff, convenient location"
The Inn staff were so wonderful and accommodating! I forgot my son's sippy cup at home and went looking for a straw for breakfast. When they didn't have any, they sent one of their staff out to get one for me. They went out of their way to be helpful and friendly, too! The room we were in was small and cozy, but for the price, you can't beat it. The continental breakfast was very nice and it is about a 15 minute walk to the old downtown area, which is full of neat little shops and art spaces.
2 night family trip Jun 29, 2014
"Hotel was available"
Great
1 night trip Jun 29, 2014
Elaine
Good breakfast, comfy room and the staff was super friendly and eager to please
1 night trip Jun 15, 2014
"Lovely surprise"
Good deal for the price. Great staff, good breakfast. Wasn't crazy about the shared bathroom which I didn't realize when I made my reservation. Room very clean of course it is a historic in so very pleasanly old fashioned. No elevator so if you don't do steps get the lower floor. My only complaint was towels could be nicer. Yes I would go back.
1 night trip Jun 12, 2014
Tina
"Very Pleasant Surprise"
Very nice staff, clean room, and what a great discovery. Comfortable queen bed and AC made the total package. Only two things that made me cringe; 1) not enough parking for all guests; ended up having to park in the restaurant parking lot behind the Inn but was assured its monitored. 2) No elevator- not truly bothered by the climbing of stairs but more annoyed of the map I had to take to find my room. While an elevator is a convenience, it's also a central/starting point. Add a winding staircase to the twist and turns . . . Oof. I will stay here again. Can't beat the rate, especially since I feel you get great value for what you pay.
1 night business trip Jun 3, 2014
"Right downtown convenience"
The Inn was very rustic. Great staff. Room comfortable, however it was on the 4th floor and no elevator!!! There were no rooms available on a lower floor. It was very difficult for me to climb all those stairs, narrow stairways and reletive steep steps.
Other trip Jun 7, 2014
"Perfect Honeymoon Getaway"
We stayed one evening at the Inn at St. John. It was within a mile (walking distance for us) of lots of different attractions in town. We were able to take in a SeaDogs game, walk to our rental car, and take leisurely strolls through town. The hotel itself was wonderful! We had a room with a private bath. It was the best night sleep we've had on our entire trip! The bed was super comfortable, clean, and the staff was incredibly kind. Every time we went anyway they offered to take our bags for us, and they always had a few goodies in the lobby that we could help ourselves to. We would definitely stay there again AND recommend it to our family and friends!
Other trip Jun 5, 2014
HoJo
"Beautiful hotel"
I fell in love with this hotel. The rooms were very pretty. All so unique and with much character. The bathroom in the hallway was kinda cool. Not as inconvenient as one would think. I totally want to go again
1 night trip Jun 1, 2014
"Decent hotel at decent price"
Didn't see much as I was literally in at midnight and out the next morning. Wasn't a fan of the shared bathroom but at the price point, I really couldn't complain. Very much like a B&B on a much larger scale. Would recommend for those on a short stay.
1 night trip May 29, 2014
Alfred
"Nice B&B close to the Portland SeaDogs stadium"
There was just one bathroom for the upper floor (for 4 or 5 rooms), but we never had much of a wait for it. Free parking in back, good restaurants within walking distance, helpful staff. I'd go back.
Other trip May 30, 2014
"Excellent service."
The Inn at St. John is like a trip back in time. Quiet and calm atmosphere. Top of the line.
Other trip May 17, 2014
Nelson
"A real gem"
Have stayed here several times and never disappointed. compared to the cookie cutter alternatives it is nice to stay in a place with character. Price is best for intown Portland and a reasonable walking distance to everything
1 night trip May 11, 2014
Tony
"Nice place with the right price"
Staff were really friendly, room was clean, breakfast was nice. Next time I would pay a bit extra for a private bath.
Other trip May 14, 2014
"Very comfortable - great sleep!"
We found the hotel very comfortable under a lot of aspects: easy parking, big room, big bed, big bathroom with tub and all the neccessaire to have a nice long bath including bathroabes and makeup removal. So I had a great sleep! Breakfast was nice but not spectacular. I liked the fresh fruit. One can have a snack whenever he likes because the buffet is always there. The price was fantastic for this kind of service! We had to take the car to town but Portalnd (Maine) is realy ok for parking.
1 night trip Apr 27, 2014
Lelia S
"Inn at St John"
Staff extremely helpful and friendly. Building is a little quirky with lots of stairs and no elevator. Would stay again in a minute but would pay extra for ground floor! Had a lovely time visiting with all the staff!
4 night trip May 5, 2014
Sue
"Quaint & Hospitable"
Though not in the perfect neighborhood, it is very central with great access to everywhere in greater Portland. The property is very well kept, clean, and well maintained. You may have to climb some stairs as the age of the property does not accomodate an elevator, but that's par for the course, and should be expected at a property such as this. Very hospitable staff at all hours of the day and night, and a full carb rich continental breakfast is offered with your stay as well.
1 night trip Apr 30, 2014
"awesome little spot"
close enough to all the fun of downtown without costing you an arm and a leg. the staff were friendly and beyond helpful. i missed out on the breakfast during my stay as i'm not a morning person, but i definitely enjoyed the complimentary coffee every day. a $6 cab ride to downtown (along with being on the MRTA bus #1 route makes getting to the good stuff downtown a breeze. would absolutely book here again.
3 night trip Apr 27, 2014
Billy W.
"Affordable, comfortable and clean"
I have to say this is the cleanest hotel/inn I have ever stayed at. It was a small room but it was only me in the room so it served its purpose. My bathroom was down the hall and it was fine because only I had a key to it. Again, the cleanliness was impeccable.
1 night business trip Apr 28, 2014
Jaime
"Cozy, friendly, comfortable, unique!"
They upgraded my room for free, so that was a nice bonus. Hotel staff was very friendly. Rooms were immaculate. Rooms are well equipped, mine had a Kermit machine and a mini fridge. Beds were comfortable. All in all, lovely, especially considering the very reasonable price. Will return!
Other trip Apr 29, 2014
"Excellent service"
Staff were ery helpful .Room was clean, comfortable and charming.
1 night trip Apr 20, 2014
"Quirky, Victorian style hotel rooms"
I wondered what the low cost of the rooms for our 2-day stay would get us, and was prepared for a shifty motel-type "inn" -- but we were extremely pleasantly surprised by the Inn at St. John. The Inn is quirky and unique, feels more like a home than any hotel I've stayed in, has the friendliest staff I've encountered, and I would definitely stay there again and recommend it to others. It's on College Street, which is a main road in Portland, and a good walk will get you from the Inn to a hundred excellent restaurants, including the shops and restaurants in Old Port. The only potential point to note for those with limited mobility is that since the Inn appears to be a converted house, there are a lot of interesting hallways and staircases, making the upper levels difficult (or impossible) to access for someone with limited mobility.
Other trip Apr 9, 2014
A
"Great place for a quick stopover"
Stayed here to catch a 3 am bus from Portland. Very clean and comfortable room. Quiet when I went to sleep about 10, but a loud TV in the next room woke me up about 2--thin walls. Bathroom was across the hall, but that was fine for me--European feel. Very quick ride to the Amtrak and bus station, and not much farther to the PWM airport. Great spot at a very reasonable price--would stay again.
Other trip Apr 6, 2014
Duckie
I thought the front desk people were really nice, great location and suprisingly quaint!
1 night trip Apr 3, 2014