All hotels in Newark, Delaware, United States of America
You can collect Hotels.com® Rewards nights here400 David Hollowell Drive, Newark, DE, 19716, United States of America, ‏‎855-239-9399

"Subpar service at Mariott for a full priced stay"
Water was out at checkin, with no notice from staff until I called to ascertain what problem was after attempting shower on a hot day; fire alarms went off that first afternoon and we had to evacuate hotel and staff on floor had no idea how to protect guests, where the exits were, nor what was going on; management didn't notify staff when to return. "Free" Internet service was out as well on 2d day and staff wouldn't recycle or troubleshoot their router. Worst stay I've ever had at a Marriott, despite being a long-term rewards member with frequent stays at the chain throughout the USA. Location is close to campus dorms and is within walking distance to main street for restuarants. Front desk and restuarant/bar staffed mainly by students learning hospitality service, and need more supervision and training. Staff didn't offer help, nor refund for all the issues, just more questions when I raised it with them at check-out. Regret I didn't check-out after the first afternoons follies and went somewhere more customer friendly. At $165 a night there are cheaper, better choices in the area unless you want to put up with subpar services at a nice location. I won't stay here again when in Newark, DE.
2 night family trip May 8, 2015
"Decision Day visit a pleasure!"
It was Decision Day at Univ of Delaware and we decided to stay at the hotel because it was conveniently located to the University. We arrived late and hungry. The restaurant was already closed but a very nice woman gave my kids menus and explained that we can order and have food delivered which they were thrilled to hear! My husband and I sat at the bar and met the most wonderful, knowledgeable bartender! We had a great stay and will definitely come back!
1 night family trip Apr 10, 2015
thomas
"Positively Pleasant"
Outstanding stay. There was a problem at check in and staff handled it quickly and efficiently. Staff was so kind and the UD students did a great job.
1 night family trip Apr 10, 2015
Kristin
"Very Nice Hotel"
Very nice hotel, on UDEL campus. Rooms are spacious and comfortable, with nice high def TVs and strong, fast internet signal. Lobby is large, sprawling area, good for meeting/socializing. Front desk people are very responsive and accommodating. Pool and hot tub on the small side but nice and clean nevertheless. Only two elevators, which seems one or two shy for a hotel of this size...and they are slow, to boot! Bistro is convenient when open but hours are somewhat limited. Those relatively minor flaws aside, this is one of the better places to stay in Newark.
2 night trip with friends Mar 27, 2015
"RE Travel"
Hotel far exceeded any expectations that I had. It was very clean, staff were friendly, and located in the perfect location for me. I will absolutely return.
2 night trip with friends Feb 27, 2015
Ryan
"Truly pet friendly!"
I have to comment about the pet friendly rooms. They are amazing, with private patio doors opening to a pet courtyard. First floor accommodations are perfect for dogs. Human accommodations also were good, as was the food.
1 night family trip Feb 4, 2015
"Quiet and Hospitable"
My stay was wonderful. the front desk and the bartender are reasons for me to come back on a personal getaway stay.
1 night business trip Jan 21, 2015
Tia
"convenient to Main street"
Very convenient walking distance to Main street. The room was a little dusty, but the bed was very comfortable.
1 night romance trip Jan 17, 2015
"emergency need"
nicely-sized room, all the amenities of home. we'd stay again!
1 night romance trip Dec 13, 2014
"Outstanding comfort near campus."
Excellent property. Perfect for any University of Delaware related business. There isn't much close by but they offer a free shuttle to get you there and back from many areas. The common areas are nice. A fairly lively bar for a smaller property. The rooms are big and comfortable. All around excellent amenities. A first rate property for its class.
1 night business trip Dec 4, 2014
Alex
"Clean & Friendly"
Clean rooms, friendly staff & free 24 hour coffee!!!
1 night trip with friends Nov 29, 2014
"It's a CourtYard by Marriott, which is fine."
Three rooms, three nights for Thanksgiving week. No complaints. No surprises. Clean, in a good neighborhood (on the edge of UD campus). Rooms are spacious. Small balcony overlooking courtyard at back of the hotel a plus (front side would look over parking lot). Slow draining bathtub in our room was annoying, but water was hot and plentiful. Linens on the edge, but fine. Housekeeping has annoying habit of "shorting" the comforter/blanket so you have to unmake bed to get it up beyond mid-chest level. Two of our party had breakfast and thought it was fine. Would stay here again (several in our party had been here before and recommended return).
3 night family trip Nov 25, 2014
"Never disappoints"
We have stayed here many times and it never disappoints. The staff is courteous and the rooms are clean and extremely comfortable. We love the ability to walk into town. The brunch on Sunday morning is perfect, and our large group is always accommodated without any problem.
Other trip Nov 24, 2014
c
"Unhelpful Staff"
We did not stay. On arrival I discovered that I did nor have on me a government issued photo ID. I did have the receipt and confirmation from Hotels.com but that was not enough. I even had them Google me (I have thousands of Google entries, many with photograph). They were unhelpful and would not let us stay. We were going to a University of Delaware dinner (I am on the Faculty) at Tetley Hall next door to the hotel. I would like to get reimbursed!
Response by Courtyard by Marriott Newark-University of Delaware
Thank you for taking the time to share with us your comments regarding your most recent reservation. While we apologize for the inconvenience this situation caused you, it is hotel policy to verify and confirm identity and payment with all guests at the time of check-in; unfortunately, neither was able to be presented at the time of check-in. Rest assured, the hotel did not charge you due to the circumstances, so if you wish to seek a refund, please contact your booking agency.
1 night romance trip Nov 21, 2014
"Clean and comfortable"
I've stayed here many times before and it has always been consistent - good service, clean, comfortable and reasonable rates. No reason to stay anywhere else in Newark DE.
Other trip Oct 22, 2014
"great location and very nice hotel"
location is amazing if you are visiting the college,hotel was great, very clean and comfortable beds
1 night trip Aug 23, 2014
Great location and customer service. For the price, I wish they served a free breakfast. No complaints, otherwise.
2 night family trip Jul 18, 2014
Clif
"Nice hotel!!! Beautiful room and lots of space."
We had a home emergency late Saturday night and needed a place to stay. Through Expedia we found this wonderful hotel in Newark late night. The front desk clerk took us in immediately before Expedia sent them the reservation information! Great customer service!
Other trip Jul 21, 2014
Peachy
"College orientation"
As advertised. On campus, clean, courteous staff, nice breakfast choices and VIP benefits for visiting parents of UD students
1 night trip Jul 7, 2014
Frank R.
Spa not working.
2 night business trip Apr 16, 2014
Jake
Depends on why you are going to Delaware. If you are visiting the college you couldn't get closer. Nice place, clean rooms, great lobby restaurant.
2 night business trip Apr 6, 2014
Marc
"close to U of D campus"
We stayed at this hotel while touring the U of Delaware ; easy walk to campus ; very friendly staff. Only complaint is the size of the exercise room, basically a large storage closet.
Other trip Feb 24, 2014
"Best hotel I've been to in Delaware"
Beautiful...clean...friendly and helpful staff. I was pleasantly surprised.
Other trip Feb 18, 2014
Blue Hen's Fan
"Excellent for University of Delaware Visitors"
This is an excellent choice for anyone visiting a child, relative or friend at the University of Delaware. It is at the south end of the campus and is about a mile from the Welcome Center. The room was clean and well appointed with all the expected amenities. A large part of the staff is made up of UD students who will go above and beyond to meet your every need. I highly recommend this hotel for anyone visiting the University of Delaware.
1 night trip Nov 15, 2013
Ed
Very nice hotel with friendly and helpful staff. The room was too warm the and the AC did not work.
Other trip Nov 10, 2013
Ken
"Nice and convenient."
Pleasant, helpful staff. Nice hotel and very convenient when visiting U of Delaware.
Other trip Nov 4, 2013
"A peaceful night sleep"
Everything was quite pleasant and clean, the staff were helpful and polite. Acquaintances stayed at another hotel and had a problem with bedbugs I am trained to look for bedbugs before I do anything else in a hotel room. I have never had a problem with a Marriott room. Keep up the good work and I will keep coming back to Marriott.
Other trip Nov 3, 2013
"Hard to find, surprisingly bad service"
The hotel is good. But only after you find it - what is not so easy. Navigation system said "you are arrived" and we see the sign with hotel name pointed to another road with several similar seen buildings and parkings. Which building is ours? No any text "Mariott" on any of them. We drove from one to another to find ours - over-and-over several times. At the and I found the hotel name on the door mate!!! The entrance has no any other indication that is is the Mariott! As I said, the room was good and clean - no any problem. The problems we had on the next day with the breakfest. We have prepaid breakfest (important) - but there was no buffet but the bar. You must order the meal you need. We ordered some, sign that paper that we do that with incl. our room number. And during check-out the reception woman said we must pay for the breakfest! She saw that we have stay including breakfest, but after call to the bar said "you eat to much (!) for the breakfest and not what is included in free breakfest (!)" I heard this for the first time in my life. Nobody asks us do we have a prepaid breakfest and I assumed everybody has prepaid. Now I will just avoid Marriott.
1 night business trip Sep 23, 2013
"Great hotel after having surgery"
My wife just had surgery that day so the room was spacious and accommodating. The dinner we ordered from room service was very good. Amenities were great
Other trip Sep 26, 2013
"Very nice hotel"
I read some reviews that were less than complimentary before I booked this hotel, but I think it was well worth the price for the room. When I checked in, I was assigned a single king bed and a fold out sofa for my son and me, but was immediately switched to a two queen bed room when I complained. A big bonus was the room had something akin to central air conditioning instead of a noisy cooling/heating unit under the window that you see in most rooms. Overall, I was very pleased.
1 night trip Jul 19, 2013
It was all good. Beds were a little on the hard side I would stay there again
1 night business trip Jun 25, 2013
"Great hotel for visiting U Del."
Came with teenage son for overnight while visiting U Del.
Other trip Jun 20, 2013
"Imroving lobby bar and food service"
The food service offered in the lobby was limited. The bar did not open until 5:00 P.M. on Saturday. It was reunion weekend at the University of Delaware. Many people stayed at the hotel to celebrate their 50th Reunion. Coffee served in the lobby was removed on Sunday morning by 11:00 A.M. This was disappointing.
Other trip Jun 3, 2013
"Close to UDel Campus"
Easy walking distance to UDel Campus, and downtown area. Well appointed and spacious rooms; courteous service; lots of well-lighted parking.
1 night trip May 10, 2013
"Slightly overpriced"
Hotel is good solid 3 star but prices are 4star minimum.
Other trip Apr 9, 2013
"Good hotel; Bad Management. Skip it"
To Hotels.com: Add disclaimer on your sites that this hotel's policy REQUIRES A COPY OF YOUR DRIVER'S LICENSE, if booking through Hotels.com. Stayed March 20-22. A nice hotel marred by bad policy and stubborn hotel management that doesn't treat guests respectfully. During check-in front desk said they would hold on to a copy my driver's license. When asked why, she stated it was 'policy'. I asked to speak with the manager on duty as I was unwilling to have my driver's license photo copied. After waiting 10 mins, Rebecca, the manager on duty, said in a matter-of-factly that they hold on to a copy of the license in case someone else stayed in the room & only applied when the reservation is pre-paid. I explained to her that I had already established my identiy by showing them my license and in my over 15 yrs as a Mariott Marquis member, I have never had a hotel hold on to a copy of my license. Rebecca didn't budge. So, I called Marriott Marquis customer service. It was then, Rebecca said that the policy was the hotel's and not Marriott's. When I began speaking with Marriott customer service, she said, she would check w/ sr manager. After 5 addl mins, Rebecca comes back & allows me to check-in with out coping my license. After 30 mins, I check-in. Mariott called me back. They spoke w/ hotel mgmt who said that the copy of the license is returned at checkout. A different story than what they sadi to me. It's sad when Mgmt lies and is so unprofessional.
2 night business trip Mar 20, 2013
Ed
Outstanding in every way!
2 night trip Feb 17, 2013
"VERY nice place --and very pricey"
This is a very pleasant place to stay. It IS VERY pricey, and that was not our first choice but it was so close to Newark (Main Street) and to the University that we couldn't pass on it. The Super 8 --also right in Newark, Del is much less expensive but also not as nicely appointed. I think for the price breakfast --at LEAST continental-- should be included.
Other trip Oct 29, 2012
Jay
"University of Delaware convenience"
A very nice hotel in a a convenient location - especially for proximity to University of Delaware. No complimentary continental breakfast, but breakfast and coffee available at reasonable prices.
Other trip Oct 10, 2012
"Great hotel!"
We thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The beds were comfortable and the staff courteous. A call from the front desk manager shortly after our arrival was recieved asking if everything was to our satisfaction. It was. :)
Other trip Oct 2, 2012
Marybeth
"UD reunion"
Great hotel would definitely return if in the area again
Other trip Oct 2, 2012
"Great stay, Great Location"
We stayed in Marriott to visit the Univ of Delaware. The hotel was perfect for our stay. It was a five minute walk into town and to the University and you got to pass the new residence housing on the way. It saved us time and money because you have to pay for parking at the University and it is sometimes to find a parking spot in town. The hotel is new, rooms comfortable, and it was fun to see the students working in the hotel along the hotel staff :)
Other trip Oct 1, 2012
"Loved it"
Very friendly staff, great location, great value
1 night trip Sep 21, 2012
Pc
We choose this hotel because we were moving our son to the University of Delaware. It was conveniently close to his apartment and school. It will be our choice of stay every time we come out to see him in the next 2 years. Very satisfied. The breakfast was awesome....
2 night trip Aug 17, 2012
Very satisfying. Should our twins enroll at UD, my wife and I will stay at this hotel for sure.
1 night trip Jul 13, 2012
"close to a family home"
It was nice and comfortable except the sink area has no door to the bedroom that it is hard to keep quiet for sharing the room. If the breakfast was included in the rate, it would have been reasonable.
2 night trip Jul 6, 2012
Kay
"Not great"
Each time I went to the front desk no one was there. When I checked in I stood around for nearly 10 minutes before someone helped me. When I checked out I had to go to the back room to grab someone to help me. It was very frustrating and a waste of time. At approx. 11:30pm there was an employee talking on his cell phone very loudly in the maintenance room next to my room. Once I banged on the wall he stopped. I love your hotel chain but this stay was not the best.
1 night trip Jul 10, 2012
very nice and we would stay again.
1 night trip Jun 27, 2012
"Great place to stay!"
We loved our stay here! The people were friendly and helpful, room was big and clean and it is so convenient if you are visiting U Del.
1 night trip Jun 21, 2012
ANNML
"Would stay again."
Well located, with friendly staff and clean, comfortable rooms.
Other trip Jun 4, 2012