All hotels in Aiken, South Carolina, United States of America
235 Richland Avenue West, Aiken, SC, 29801, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

2.8
"Great location- but needs lots of updating help"
The hotel has a great location in downtown Aiken but the property is tired and in major need of an overhaul-- the old-time elevator was not working so I had to carry all my luggage manually up the stairs- which was a real pain.
1 night business trip Aug 12, 2015
"Nice Stay"
Old hotel but very clean. Staff helpful. Good value!
1 night family trip May 25, 2015
Alan
"Very Disappointed"
The hotel was in "dire" need of repairs! Current owners should be embarrassed about letting such a gem get in such condition. Hopefully, Marriott will succeed in its goal to acquire the hotel and hopefully, when they renovate, they will keep in mind the historical significance of the building. And if there is a Historical Society, they should certainly step in and have guidelines!
Other trip May 27, 2015
"About 10 miles from interstate, but really quaint."
We were on the road, and booked this right before midnight. Really the only hotel available at that time. Quaint hotel in an adorable town, but we had a truck with 18 foot trailer - no parking! We parked 3 blocks away on the street! No problems! The hotel has a few bars and there was defiantly some parting going on, but you could not hear it from our room! Hotel had elevator, but was not working at that time and we had to climb one big set of steps! Room was clean but 'old' and charming! Think we had a 'spirit' that messed with my night lite, but was 'friendly'! Nice breakfast in the AM - coffee was amazing! Food was nicely prepared and fresh! Desk clerk at midnight was very nice and accommodating (forgot his name!) sorry! Would love to come back to 'explore' this town and would defiantly stay here again!
1 night romance trip May 15, 2015
DOREEN
"Bell Hop Required Charmer"
This is a historic hotel, and we loved the charm and coziness. Tall ceilings, big windows, classic tiled floors (we had a king). It's location is right downtown, walking distance to just about anything needed, close to hiking and food. The rooms (as others have said are dated) are comfortable; I recognize that this is a historic hotel, and changing much will destroy the old time feel of this beautiful site. Even the elevator requires a bell hop! If you enjoy being close to the downtown area, this was one of the better values I have had during my travels and will choose to visit again. Loved my stay!
3 night trip with friends May 9, 2015
Evelyn
"Hotel Aiken"
Although this hotel is almost 100 years old it was a very pleasant experience. The staff was attentive, informative, helpful and overall exceptional. The room was clean and comfortable and tastefully decorated. Had some minor issues with the shower but to be fair to the hotel I didn't make them aware of issues. The bar and restaurant were great, as was the service.
Other trip May 14, 2015
"Very nice remodeled "old hotel""
Stayed here because it was just off the "beaten track." Very old hotel that had been remodeled. In middle of downtown. Walk to multiple restaurants and small shops within 5 minutes. Will probably do that again.
2 night trip Apr 6, 2015
Hotel is in dire need of a remodel. Ceiling tiles are missing, smells of smoke.
Other trip May 1, 2015
"Perfect location. Downtown, in a small, old town."
Built in 1898 this hotel has some charm. Priced like one of the new, right off the freeway type hotels, this one is special. Downtown, small old town with lots of history and plenty of good shopping and restaurants.
Other trip Apr 17, 2015
Masters
"Very tired"
The hotel was built in the 1800's, and I am not sure they have spent a nickel on the place since. The location was good.
Other trip Apr 13, 2015
"Nothing to see."
I understand the Masters season at this time. But, I (and my wife) are very disappointed. Hotel Aiken allocated us to the different building, which looked an used-to-be motel with different name. The room is dirty and bath tub etc. looks some cracking. Staffs said ''this is exterior''. Original Hotel Aiken should be interior. We don't know this kind of difference in advance. I could not connect with WiFi at the room. Breakfast delayed in 20 minutes as promised at 6:00am and the taste is not good. Anyway, my wife and I never want to stay at this hotel.
Other trip Apr 9, 2015
no idea
Room was was very dirty and still under construction. Don't stay there.
Other trip Apr 8, 2015
"A little dissapointed. Beautiful town though."
Hotel room was old and could use a major make-over. TV was old school.Bathroom not much better. Very close to where we needed to go (we were there for the Masters).Staff was friendly. Breakfast average at best. Good location ,close to bars and restaurants. Over priced but it was Masters week.
1 night romance trip Apr 5, 2015
"Hotel Aiken"
Great central location at an affordable rate.
2 night trip Mar 21, 2015
"OMG...Hotel rooms dirty and no heat IN ROOM"
Room had wall paper and curtain falling down Plus blanket was dirty. Can deal with that but we had no heat and maintenence staff would not be back until the morning. Room was freezing cold. I have pictures if Expedia wants to see them. Remove this hotel from your listing please.
Other trip Feb 9, 2015
Patty
"Run down place"
They didnt have our reservation whne we went to check in but were able to find the email from expedia - still took them an hour to figure it out, we had to go to the bar and wait. The entire place was quite run down. the ladies bathroom had a dirty toilet that still had the same dirt spot 2 days later! the breakfast was completely unappetizing - we didnt eat anyt he first day, we went out. The second day we were in a hurry and the breakfast bar was out of certain things despite it being only 8am! No sign of anyone to refill. The mens room on the ground floor in the morning had broken beer bottles on the floor and in the toilet from the party the night before. We told the front desk staff and they acted like it was not big deal, happened all the time and the cleaners would be there in a bit. Such a shame that a hotel that must have once been quite grand has gotten to this state, especially in the heart of such a lovely town.
Other trip Feb 3, 2015
Viper
"lovely"
Occasionally we just like to get out of Columbia for a weekend. We ALWAYS head here. The staff always recognizes us and treats us like family. The Polo tavern and the bar our back have some of the best bartenders in Aiken. The hotel itself is a little run down but they are as clean as we expect from such an old hotel. The location is perfect. We can stay entertained all night and not have to worry about driving anywhere. During the day we can walk to dining or shopping. And the room is really just a place for us to crash. We love this hotel and the bars in it.
2 night romance trip Jan 23, 2015
Faye
"Appropriately Priced"
It's the best place you're going to stay for $70/night. Staff was accommodating and friendly. There are no frills here, but you're in the heart of Aiken adjacent to all the nightlife. If that's your scene, you don't have to travel far to find a drink. If not, you may want to look elsewhere.
1 night romance trip Jan 24, 2015
Too old and need to be maintained. For breakfast, there was nothing to eat...too poor menu.I'm not going to staying at this hotel any night in the future.
Other trip Jan 27, 2015
"Rundown historic building!"
Great location in a beautiful small town! Hotel is in sad shape. Needs repairs, needs paint, needs to be cleaned! Staff was friendly and helpful but not very professional! This could be a crown jewel in a great sleepy southern town!
Other trip Jan 3, 2015
D
"Nice hotel, middle of historical district"
Although I only stayed one night. It was a pleasurable experience. The room was very clean. Bathrooms were clean. Bed slept well. And the staff was polite and helpful. The only thing that I didn't like was that unless you had a staff person to operate the elevator for you, you had to take the stairs. And I was on the third floor. Even so, I would still return to the Hotel Aiken the next time that I visit.
Other trip Jan 3, 2015
"Party Hotel"
Its old, worn out and a bit dingy. Centrally located amongst a number of good bars and places to eat is the only reason I stay here. At least the sheets are always clean.
1 night business trip Dec 17, 2014
"Not notified of changes to reservation"
The hotel had a fire the week before I stayed, no one called to inform me that I would not be able to get the room requested (suite with balcony). The room that I got was not in the hotel proper and was in poor repair.
1 night trip with friends Nov 30, 2014
"Downtown Hotel"
Nice location. It is definitely an older hotel. Supposedly had a fire in the main building recently. Our room was in the outer section. Was in need of some serious repairs/updating. Bed box springs were broken. For the $49 it got us a few hours of sleep.
Other trip Nov 28, 2014
Senior citizens
"Loved the Tiki bar!"
We booked our room last minute on the way home from the beach. I loved the location. Very eclectic. And the hotel bars were fabulous. The hotel is older and they love telling you about the history of the place. We had the complimentary breakfast as we checked out and was suprised to find a hot breakfast, not just the typical juice and donuts. It was a very lively place with lots of locals at the bar. Would definitely stay again.
Other trip Nov 17, 2014
Marsh and Julie
"Weekly traveler"
Was really excited to stay in a historical hotel. Got in very late and requested a very quite room. Was informed that there would be no one at the front desk after 11:00. Got in my room and settled in, noticed toothpaste in the sink, hair on the floor and in the tub but of course by this time there was no one at the front desk..Turned the TV off and went to bed but the music from the nightclub kept me awake until they closed at 2:am. I will never stay there again! Very disappointed!!
1 night business trip Nov 13, 2014
Laurie
"Gross, would not stay again!"
The hotel needs major work done. Although the age gives it charactor, the bathrooms are dirty, it smells, wallpaper is peeling off the walls, stains on the blankets, gross!!!!
Response by Hotel Aiken
I am sorry you had a bad experience at our hotel. We are currently updating rooms and making changes to the hotel. As the new GM at this property I pride myself on giving our guests the best experience possible. In the future should you stay at Hotel Aiken and be displeased with your room, we will gladly show you other rooms and option show you may enjoy your stay.
1 night trip with friends Oct 4, 2014
Jenny
"over ntie stay was wonderful"
enjoyed our first time ever staying here. would stay here again, we had a room in the old hotel part and loved it. Nice size rooms and street view was great. . enjoyed the music down stairs and convince of being able to go upstairs for the nite. It was a wonderful get away with my husband. and the workers were so nice and helpful. would recommend The Hotel.
Response by Hotel Aiken
Thank you so much for taking the time to review our property. Hotel Aiken is a very historic hotel and undergoing many renovations and changes. My staff and I appreciate your positive review and we look forward to seeing you again.
1 night romance trip Sep 19, 2014
TNTStill
"Southern Charm"
Loved the historic feel with modern conveniences
3 night business trip Sep 8, 2014
"Hotel is so out of date"
The Hotel is so out of date we had to us stairs, ceiling had holds in bathroom, someone had to show us how to us shower, didn't have but 1/2 roll of toilet paper for two nights, ceiling in bathroom had mildew. The ladies be hide the deck were very nice and the breakfast was good. I would not go back.
2 night trip Sep 4, 2014
"Stay in the old, historic building for quiet."
If you want to party then the new section is for you. We heard what must have been a touch football game in the parking lot until about 2:00 am. This is just outside one of the bars. The beds were too soft for me, but that's a problem in most hotels. The staff was great. The bars are very nice if you like loud music. The town is beautiful. This is our second stay at Hotel Aiken. First time we were in the old building. It was wonderful. This time not so fabulous. Next time, we will definitely stay in the old section. (Visions of Hercule Poirot, Mrs. Marple, etc.)
1 night trip Aug 29, 2014
Nice place. Stayed in the original part of the Hotel. Was like staying at an old inn. Clean and staff was nice. Good location. Walking distance from most places.
Other trip Aug 22, 2014
"Horrible breakfast"
Don't let the thought of a free breakfast make you stay here - it is the worst hotel breakfast I have ever had. The yoghurt was 2 weeks beyond its sell by date and the "hot" food was not thawed, let alone hot. The hotel is run down and smells musty. My first and last stay. The one good thing about staying there was it was close to some excellent restaurants.
Other trip Aug 22, 2014
Dragon
"Good Location, Could use some updating"
The staff was friendly and helpful. Our room seemed clean enough but the condition of the overall building seemed like it could use some updating.
1 night trip Jul 26, 2014
"Investigation of Downtown"
y wife and I enjoyed our stay at Hotel Aiken very much. We found the personnel very friendly, the breakfast excellent, and the room very comfortable.
1 night trip Jul 19, 2014
Gordon Pomeroy
"Not great"
Got there - found our Confirmed King room was only a Queen. The toilet was dirty with black mold. The door lock was half missing - a workman walked in on me - I was not dressed. There was a nightclub with a band playing beneath our room that night - we heard every word of the lyrics. There is one elevator - the oldest functioning elevator in SC - unfortunately a staff member had to accompany your trip upstairs on it. It was busy so we trudged all our stuff up the stairs rather than wait for the desk clerk to be available. Not a good experience at all.
Other trip Jul 18, 2014
Candy
The bathroom was very outdated and stained, The linens were very uncomfortable.
1 night trip Jul 5, 2014
"Perfect location. Quaint. Fantastic staff."
This hotel is obviously historic and it shows here and there. Most of the essentials have been updated and what hasn't adds character. The room was clean. The bars downstairs were great, as were the staffs of the bar. The breakfast offered left a little to be desired, especially compared to a Hampton or Holiday Inn. I wouldn't recommend staying in the courtyard. Pay a few extra bucks and get into the main building. It's reasonably priced and worth the experience. I know I'll be returning,
1 night romance trip Jul 4, 2014
F
"Historical Downtown Aiken"
We enjoyed our stay, the only complaint I have is the wifi does not work , you would have to be inside of the hotel to obtain a signal. We were in the courtyard, Brittany was adorable and very professional and friendly.
1 night family trip Jul 3, 2014
Joyce
"Close to restuarants"
Like Hotel Aiken for the convenience to resturants, available parking and good rates.
2 night business trip May 30, 2014
"Over night stay"
This was a good location for our travels. Nice little town to visit.
1 night trip May 15, 2014
"Bad"
Tiny room. Terrible bed. Very loud. This old (1898) hotel is in desperate need of a renovation. I don't need luxury but need it to be clean and comfortable.
Other trip May 27, 2014
"Right in the middle"
Very quaint room. A few small issues to pick at but overall we'd stay here again. A lot of character, a fair amount to do in the immediate area, the price was right. Im a bit picky so found minor things but overall would definitely stay again.
Other trip May 26, 2014
Mike and Sandi
"Old, Historic, Inexpensive"
This hotel is historic, old and so you should have tempered expectations going in. The floors are uneven, the walls are crooked, the beds are average, the TV needs to be replaced and the channel selection is limited. It has a classic feel and you can imagine that in it's day this hotel was great! The price you pay per night should tell you all you need to know. It's fairly inexpensive for a reason. Classic sleigh bed. Room was a decent size with a nice table with which to work from. Restaurant with a bar on site. The location was perfect within walking distance to shops and restaurants. It's old and is need of repairs and updating. It's clean. I probably wouldn't stay again because I want more amenities that a new hotel would afford with a cleaner, newer feel. At the price you get what you pay for.
Other trip May 16, 2014
Marc
"Back in time!"
Unique experience at the Hotel Aiken! Rumurs of ghost and such, along with the old style elevator that requires an operator. All of this added to the experience, but the best part was the lounge. By 10 o'clock, it was filled with locals. The band was very good and the staff was great! I noticed the extra attention being paid to some of their older guests - for friendly conversation as well as assuring they had a taxi or ride home when ready.
Other trip Apr 21, 2014
"Great place and location"
Very pleased to find this hotel trip down to see The Masters. Great location and neighborhood.
1 night trip Apr 8, 2014
"Great location for the Masters"
Hotel Aiken is an old hotel. If you don't understand what comes along with a hotel that old, then you might be disappointed. For a Masters golf stay, the location is great. A couple of nice bars in the hotel and a lot of restaurants within walking distance. The staff was friendly. I'd stay again if we do another Masters trip.
1 night trip Apr 7, 2014
CC
"Run Down"
Unfortunately my room was not renovated - wallpaper torn, walls dirty, carpet dirty. Definitely get what you pay for! Location is great but poor condition.
2 night trip Mar 26, 2014
Denise
Hotel Aiken is centrally located for a first-time visitor to Aiken, being right in town. Staff very helpful and welcoming. Hotel itself is very tired and in the middle of renovations.
6 night trip Mar 17, 2014
"Great Location, and thats about it"
The hotel is the only option if you want to stay downtown, but if you do not have to be downtown, do not stay here. It is one of the filthiest hotels I have ever stayed in. I have never walked the stairs when there has not been debris of some type on the stair treads. The place has so much potential, but it is not being realized.
2 night trip Mar 21, 2014