All hotels in Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic
Playa Dorado, P.O. Box 22, Puerto Plata, Puerto Plata, Dominican Republic, ‏‎800-491-6126

• Bar
    Bar is awesome
    Delicious food
  • Value
    Fairly good value for money
    Bad internet service
  • Wellness
    Poor wellness & sports facilities
"Not a fan"
First let me just say, I've been to many resorts in DR in various parts of the island being that my family is from there. So I consider myself to be a fair judge of which resorts are great or not. Unfortunately I was not a fan of VH Grand Ventana. PROS - Playa Dorado is completely a gated area with many resorts within. Makes it feel like a nice neighborhood where you could actually leave the resort (many don't like the secluded feeling of resorts) and walk around but still feel safe. - Gorgeous golf course for those interested - Nice beach area - Swim up bar CONS - no iron - no toothpaste - horrible customer service. God forbid you call for some extra shampoo and conditioner and then call back because its been an hour and you still don't have shampoo/conditioner. you will get an attitude. - for the food that you can actually eat, eh. for the rest, can't eat it unless you don't mind eating something after 100 flies have sat on it. yuck. - alcohol. none of it premium. not even bottom shelf. all no-name-super-cheap-you-will-hate-your-life-hangover type of liquor. (unless you consume beer or brugal). - old. rooms smelled moldy and hotel overall not as new as others in playa dorada.
2 night family trip Jan 20, 2016
Dahianna
"Great Place"
Our stay was ok, but I would have prefer better drinks. The Food was awesome but the drinks were ok. I guess to have premium drinks it would have cost more money but all in all we had an awesome time. The service is awesome, but the drinks is not good to my opinion. My wife is Dominican so we spent most of our time eating and drinking around puerto plata. Around christmas time the roasted pig is awesome from street vendors. The hotel has a shopping center right next to it with different malls etc. but if you know a local or your way around you can eat at local restaurant but VH Gran food are awesome too!
2 night romance trip Dec 29, 2015
JOEL
above average overall. The pool water was sometimes not the cleanest. Also beach towels were rarely if ever available, and that was an issue. Good facilities overall.
3 night family trip Dec 26, 2015
Vinodh
"Wedding in Paradise."
This stay was for my wedding and I had booked rooms for a fairly large group. I was disappointed at the "royal" package, as I didn't feel that there as a whole lot of royalty involved. This package allowed access to the "vintage club" where the director not only accused one of my guests of stealing towels on the day of check out, but was overall very rude and while I was attempting to speak to her and repeatedly asked for the general manager, she refused and continued to answer the phone, telling me about her inventory control of towels after I'd spend 12+K on this wedding. I felt it was very offensive. Overall, the staff was incredible, Mawandy, Solomin and so many others were wonderful, they truly are pleased to serve their guests. The only issue that I had was with the Vintage Club Director, she made no effort to give us the high end "experience". The food was good, same menu pretty much daily, the entertainment was overall good, they try to accommodate everyone. I was pleased with the hotel overall, but wouldn't pay for the upgrade again as I didn't see the value added service. I can say that in light of all things considered, this hotel did a great job with our party and Mawandy truly wanted us to have a wonderful wedding experience. I would go back again, this is a clean resort, you constantly see someone cleaning all areas at all times.
6 night family trip Nov 4, 2015
Tabby
"Bad place"
This was terrible place be tag in management level were terrible
Other trip Oct 25, 2015
Costumer SVC
"Not bad."
The first thing you need to know is that they require EVERYONE staying in the room to have their passports. They want to make a copy of them for their records. No explanation other than, that's our policy. My wife didn't have her's with us, and we had to stand there for about an hour while I made arrangements for a copy to be emailed to them. Otherwise they will not honor the reservation. They gave us a sheet of paper that has the various restaurant options at check-in. One thing you will notice is that reservations are required to be made prior to 3pm on the same day. However, since check-in isn't until 3 pm, that means you can't eat in any of the specialty restaurants your first day. After getting to the room we found a hotel services guide that warned us about losing our towel cards - which they say should have been given to us at check-in. Losing the cards will incur a substantial charge. Since we had not been given these cards, we called the front desk to inquire. They said that the beach towels could be traded in for cards. Well, we didn't have any beach towels either. So we were required to go back to the front desk to get it sorted out. When given the cards we were warned not to get too far from our towels. They said that people steal towels, and that we would be required to pay for them should that happen, something else to worry about. The food was great, certainly no complaints there. The bed was rather uncomfortable.
2 night romance trip Oct 17, 2015
Good hotel I'll definitely recommend it . Nice time whit the family and friends
Other trip Sep 17, 2015
jamie
"Very Good"
We took the premium package. It was worth. At the beach there is a private area for VIP's. Our waitress Amable was excelent. He remembered our names, what we like to drink and eat and even before we asked for anything he would come to us with our favorite drinks every day. I will definetely go back
Other trip Sep 17, 2015
Ec
"Alright"
The service for the most part was poor. One of the restaurants was closed and some of the food was suspect very limiting options and would have preferred Dominican as compared to poor version of what Americans and Europeans eat.
Other trip Sep 13, 2015
"Don't waste your money."
First of all, we’d like to express our gratitude to Kerin (supervisor) for his kindness and assistance. Also, many thanks to the hard-working staff at the restaurants/buffet, the pools, the towel desk and the cleaning crew! We truly appreciated your efforts! However, hate to say this, but this hotel is very much disorganized and has tremendous room for improvement: 1. Check-in process was way too long 2. Nothing special about the three specialty restaurants, e.g., their menus didn't change at all (stayed there for two weeks) 3. The room's decor and amenities are considered a 2-star hotel 4. The gym is not a gym (lots of rusty and broken machines) 5. The entertainment shows needed more practice 6. Hope this hotel can improve and grow into a 4-star resort in the future
Other trip Sep 5, 2015
"Very nice resort!"
I stayed at this hotel for 3 days, and I really have no complaints at all. The service, the facilities, food, and location were simply very good--also, the staff was very friendly and professional. I am looking forward to staying at this resort again next year! :)
Other trip Sep 1, 2015
It was a great stay the pool was fun and the beach was walking distance super close
2 night family trip Aug 28, 2015
Alexandra
It was wonderful, the food was great and so were the people working there. Everything is easy to access being that most of the important buildings are all centered together.
2 night family trip Aug 22, 2015
Noerila
"vacation review"
Overall hotel is nice food is good great variety of menus on all meals. Only the bed was stiff not too soft and the pool water was warm not cool enough i guess is because of the season. The activities of the entertainers got people involved. The Michael Jackson show was good
2 night family trip Aug 17, 2015
"Nice stay for a quick visit"
Room wasn't to great but the food was great most of the staff were Friendly and helpful
Other trip Aug 24, 2015
"Awesome people, horrible entertainment."
Positives. The people at this resort are awesome they remember the little things like how you take your coffee. The saying arrive as guests leave as friends is perfect. Beaches are beautiful. Negative Entertainment is horrible. If you have kids and you want them entertained then you are in luck. Anything more and you will be disappointed. Food is OK but not much variety. I would return just to see the people again. They deserve all the tips we could afford.
Other trip Aug 20, 2015
Carts
"Wonderful"
Beautiful weather, exelente hotel, lots of things to do around and not too expensive.
Other trip Aug 19, 2015
Saul
"Nice clean hotel, great staff, delicious foo"
Great vacation, clean, friendly, great food, close to beach and airport. Cannot wait to go back!
Other trip Aug 13, 2015
Norwalk, CT
Nice hotel with friendly and attentive staff. The food was ok a little bland.
Other trip Aug 12, 2015
"Not worth it for the price"
Food was ok. But the rooms were not what i expected the mattress were stained and like 20 years old. The beach was dirty not well maintained. The dont even supply an iron in your room and the wifi is terrible. They charge 10 dollars a day per person for wifi and doesnt even work Would not stay here ever again
Other trip Aug 11, 2015
not happy
"Nice hotel. Family friendly. Close to beach"
From the start, the experience was not good. At the counter no one acknowledged us for check in. My guests and I were somewhat disappointed that no one welcomed us until we asked for assistance. However, once we checked in, most of the hotel staff was courteous. The hotel doesn't provide enough bath towels for the amount of guests. The bed sheets were also dirty upon arrival.
Other trip Aug 11, 2015
mercedes
This was our first time at an all inclusive resort! It was a fun experience and the staff at the resort was so accommodating and friendly!
Other trip Aug 8, 2015
"Very close to the beach"
The hotel is located in a nice area very close to the beach... The staff is excellent. However the quality of the food could be better
Other trip Aug 3, 2015
"Great Resort BUT..."
The resort was great BUT the food needs improvement. The food choices are very slim. The buffets are far from healthy choices. All in all, its not what Dominican food is all about.
2 night family trip Jul 20, 2015
Samantha
The buffet is to small. Need more variety . The room has son little problems. But it is nice.
Other trip Jul 28, 2015
"Loved it!"
Loved the fact that it is a compact type of resort, you don't have to walk miles to go anywhere within the resort. Staff is gracious, food is excellent! I'm planning on going back!
Other trip Jul 22, 2015
"Loved Gran Ventana"
Lovely hotel. On the beach. Nice zero entry pool with a swim up bar. We would go back.
Other trip Jul 19, 2015
"Good enough hotel for a shorter stay"
Beautiful beach and nice pool area. friendly staff. Food ok but drinks are a joke: incredibly sweet and almost no liquor. And low grade liquor. The wine included is not drinkable. A decent bottle of wine costs forty dollars. Beer and coffee is good.
Other trip Jul 11, 2015
"Close to the beach and pool"
The food was good services good beautiful. staff was enjoyable
Other trip Jun 12, 2015
"Paradise.."
Was everything great... Very friendly employees.. Cant wait to go again!
2 night family trip May 29, 2015
damariz
"Getaway Relaxation"
Overall is a nice resort and a very nice beach.Staff was friendly but can step it up a little more.On a 1 thru 10 i will say this is a 7.5..
Other trip Jun 2, 2015
wil
"Not terrible, but nothing special"
The rooms are very worn and could use some updating. The cleanliness of the rooms was fair but definitely looked like it could use a good cleaning. The food was decent at best.. most of it was cooked poorly and many of the dishes were almost the exact same. Also meals were only available during specific times, otherwise there were gaps of time that food was not available. Most of the bartending staff was not prompt and would finish their cleaning etc. Before serving you. The bar opened at 10am and we went up to it at 10:05 for the lady to say "we open at 10 and I don't know what time it is." I would have thought she would say "we open at 10 let me see what time it is." Another instance was at night, the restaurants were closed and my girlfriend had a stomach ache so i approached the man at the lobby desk to see if they had crackers or any food at all for my girlfriend. He replied " no everything is closed now." There was no remorse, concern, or effort from him which was surprising to me. The bartenders were for the most part not appreciative of tips.. Several instances I tipped $5 to a bartender which is around $200 pesos. This is alot of money to them, especially considering many people do not tip at all. Simply put, they were not thankful nor hospitable. Lastly, the pool entertainment was fair at best. We looked forward to eating food in the airport when we were leaving. Overall, I guess you get what you pay for. Spend slightly more money and it will be worth it.
Other trip May 17, 2015
"bad taste in my mouth"
I changed my check-in date more than 48 hours in advance in accordance with better weather. When I arrived at the hotel they knew nothing of the change and instead of offering a possible solution continued to insist that I was in the wrong place at the wrong time even as i showed them the confirmation email on my iphone and they punched in the number, After realizing i was getting nowhere with the person at the desk and asking to speak to a supervisor i was told i should contact hotels.com. even though i was the only person checking in at that very moment and they could have made an attempt to clear the situation with hotel.com themselves. Hotel.com's automated phone system seems to be USELESS for this type of issue and I kept getting disconnected. The front desk staff at the hotel was far from accommodating. After finally resolving the issue themselves using the same email i had been showing them, i was again told that "the room was not ready since i was not supposed to be there that day". After a few more inconveniences like coming back a half hour after they told me the room would be ready in 10 minutes and being given the runaround and later realizing i was not given pool towel cards that i needed i was finally allowed to enjoy the hotel. The horrible treatment i got from the front desk staff and the service i got booking the room on hotels.com will make it so that i would not do business with either again.
2 night romance trip May 12, 2015
Oscar
"A Place Near Heaven"
The beaches and food are wonderful. The fresh fruits, coffee, drinks, everything was what I needed to get away from a winter in Colorado. This was my second visit to Gran Ventana and I will most probably stay there again when I return to the Dominican Republic. A beautiful, friendly country that whispers to me that I should retire the winters there and enjoy the beautiful summers in Colorado.
Other trip May 16, 2015
Christine
"Amazing. Amazing. Nothing bad to say at all."
This hotel was absolutely fantastic and totally worth every penny. The food was wonderful which is rare for an all inclusive. The staff was fun and friendly no one was trying to oversell you anywhere. The beach was close and gorgeous in the morning up until noon when it gets windy during this season. The pool. The pool is so fantastic. Pool vollyball everyday. Younger kids staying there our age so we made lots of friends. Overall I would totally go back here over and over.
Other trip May 16, 2015
Ryan
"Getaway"
The hotel itself was very pretty. The rooms were clean but definitely not comfortable beds. We had an issue with the in room "mini bar" that never got fixed. The food was questionable at the buffet as well as the restaurants, if you were lucky enough to get a reservation for the restaurants. The drinks would have served a better purpose being served in adult size glasses vs the small plastic glasses they used. Entertainment was mediocre, too many people and not enough seating.
4 night family trip Apr 24, 2015
"Very nice, but something was missing."
The facility was a little bit on the older side, but hat never really mattered to us, as long as it was clean. And this facility is very clean. The staff is out every morning, noon and night cleaning and prepping something. The facility is very attractive and the swimming pool is just short of amazing. But something was missing. I think it was the mind set of the staff that we have seen in other all-inclusive facilities. It wasn't bad, It just wasn't the same. There were plenty of smiles and many a cheerful "Hola" that came form the staff and the many other travelers. It was friendly, but the staff wasn't ready to provide the exceptional service that other all-inclusive venues had. It was uncommon to approach a bartender where they would be waiting to provide a drink for you. They were not very attentive. I don't mind waiting my turn, but waiting for someone to complete their text message or wait for someone to finish cleaning an appliance wasn't exceptional service. Maybe it was the language barrier or maybe the customs in the DR are just different that way. But it wasn't the same as it was in Cancun, or in the states. The facilities were very nice and I believe I would return to this facility at another time. The lack of attentive service wasn't a deal breaker, but wasn't what I expected.
Other trip May 1, 2015
"Would definitely go back"
All the hotel staff were amazing! They were so friendly and kind. The resort facilities are clean and nice - they have an amazing interior/exterior decorator! If you are looking for a clean, well kempt resort that is SUPER affordable - this place is for you! The food was not amazing - but it was good! I'm sure if you paid $500+ you might get better food - but my appetite was always set and I felt fulfilled every evening. Would definitely go back if I go back to the DR!
Other trip Apr 30, 2015
Jackie
"Nice pool/ Close to beach"
Overall a nice resort close to the beach and has a nice pool. Staff is nice and friendly. WiFi is not so great even after we paid for it but who cares just save your money on it. Shower heads can be replaced or cleaned out was pretty dirty but other than that room was always clean and fridge restocked daily.
Other trip Apr 24, 2015
SH
Nice hotel close to the beach. They got you involved in the many funny activities! My family have been to Puerto Plata, R.D before. This was by far the best resort for your money!
Other trip Apr 23, 2015
"cool for couples"
I was traveling alone and wanted a comfortable place to sleep for a couple of nights. I met some nice people, but I was the 3RD wheel everywhere I went. This place is all couples and families. A ton of booze and the bartenders were nice. The food was not very good, as is the case with most All-Inclusives. The room was clean, comfortable enough, but dated with plumbing issues in my room (slow drain sink low pressure shower). This place was affordable to warrant a return as a couple, but if you're looking for luxury, I'd keep looking.
2 night trip Apr 17, 2015
We stayed here during 2 nights after our arrival in Puerto Plata. Hotel building was quite nice, all rooms are located close to the central pool, so everything is nearby. However, during our stay we were annoyed by people smoking in the pool at all times, drinks and cups are left in the pool which makes it very unpleasant. The worst experience however was the food at this hotel. None of the restaurant (we tried all of them) serve decent food. The central buffet makes your stomach turn. Fruit is put there for hours with no ice underneath, cut before it is ripe or long after. We left the hotel for punta Cana as soon as we had the chance, where the hotels are much nicer. We would recommend however to do the waterfall excursion when you have the chance.
Other trip Apr 21, 2015
tomas
"Business turned to pleasure"
business trip turned out a little more relaxing than normal. VH Gran Ventana is a really nice facility. Service was very good.
4 night business trip Apr 13, 2015
"It's ok hotel but the staff is not being assistive"
It was ok I guess with exception to a few things : 1. The personnel is hardly speaks English and not very assistive . Also being very pushy and obnoxious I would say when it comes to entertaining/ pool games etc 2. The receptionists just doing their job by saying yes/ no , sorry etc . Won't go an extra mile to resolve any issue or difficulty 3. The food was the same pretty much every day so by day 6 we couldn't look at it 4. They stole my brand new sneakers and my sons clothes from the room . And when I came to file the complain they said sorry we can't be responsible for your balcony . But later that day I saw a waitress wearing my sneakers and they denied it all 5. The pool is very dirty at the bottom , dirty brown I would say so we spent the majority of days at the beach 6. The beach was close to hotel which was very nice but you had to get up very early ( I am jogging at 5 am so wasn't a problem ) to get a chair and reserve a spot . No one was there to assist to carry the chairs so it's a bit heavy to carry . 7. The evening entertainment program was very boring and nothing special . Basically personnel three to five people were doing same things over and over . We endede up just going to bed and not waiting for performance 8. My 7 yo son didn't like the kids club at all bc they did nothing there but stayed inside and draw rather than doing activities , exploring etc
Other trip Apr 19, 2015
anna
"Good Value For the Price"
While this is not a 5 star experience, it is a great family getaway and has everything you need. We traveled with 3 children and we all had a great time. The buffet was excellent and had a great selection. The kids club was one small room but had some great activities and a great woman running it that made it worthwhile. The pools were very nice and made for a relaxing time.
Other trip Apr 18, 2015
Jersey Mom
"Very clean hotel and a very nice resort for all"
Overall we had a great vacation!! We were with kids ages 13-21 and felt not enough activites during day at all for adults and teens around pool. Someone with a microphone so you know what's going on. Never really even knew when something was happening until u saw it. Could use a fun Caribbean band or steel drum band at pool in afternoons. Maybe barnfire on beach one night would have been nice. Food was ok. Specialty restaurants made it much better!!! They try VERY hard to make u happy!! Salamon at the Ocean Grill really went out of his way to accommodate us!!!
Other trip Apr 17, 2015
Pat
"very clean need more chairs for the pools"
Food is excellent at the restaurants. Very clean rooms and beautiful decor in the hotel. Pools don't have enough chairs and lots of people selling stuff on the beach bordering on harassment but the resort itself is very nice.
Other trip Apr 16, 2015
vanessa
"Perfect Weather that was it!!"
So my husband and I went with another couple to this resort. When we showed up we were told our room wasn't ready and it would be another 1/2 hour. The food in the Ocean Grill for lunch was disgusting. The breakfast buffet was also disgusting. You had to make reservations ASAP for dinner in the restaurants otherwise they were booked. The beach was awful because you have people coming up to you trying to sell you items and they also want to offer braiding and massages every couple of minutes. The guests that stay there are a lower class which was hard because they have no manners. The only good thing nice that I can say is that the weather was beautiful.
Other trip Apr 15, 2015
"Wonderfully relaxing and pleasant"
Thoroughly enjoyed our stay. The hotel staff are extremely friendly and helpful. The pool is fantastic and the beach is pristine and never overcrowded. The food was fine, and the room was fine (although we could have paid more for a nicer one), but overall it was a great value. The best food is at their three dinner restaurants. You're allowed to book one reservation at each one, per week (i.e. you could eat at all 3 in a given week). The reservations fill up really fast, so make sure it's the first thing you do after checking in.
Other trip Apr 12, 2015
"Beautiful hotel with amazing views"
I stayed for a week with a friend and it was the best week of my life. Great food, amazing staff, clean and right on the beach. Always activities to do and excursions to take part of. Highly recommend
Other trip Apr 11, 2015