All hotels in San Diego, California, United States of America
435 6th Ave, San Diego, CA, 92101, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Good time"
Overall good experience. However the maid had to return and dust of the desk area AFTER we had checked in also the pillows were to stiff to even sleep with.
1 night romance trip Feb 15, 2015
"Wimpton Kimpton"
I normally write reviews to praise hotels, but this hotel precludes visit me from doing so. I'm normally a huge advocate for Kimpton. When I checked in, they couldn't find my reservation. They made me and my 2 year old wait while they scrambled, then asked me to sit down as it would "be awhile". They ended up taking about 15 minutes to locate and clean a room. When I entered the room, there was a strong cleaner or commercial air purifier smell. The room was dirty and had a hersey's kiss on the floor. I grabbed it before my two year old could. I inspected the rest of the room and found a little bag with white powder residue in it. I'm not sure what it was, so I used the pen to flick it on the note pad so I could dispose of it. I left for the night and came back to find a cockroach sharing the elevator with me. I awoke to jackhammers at 8:00 am as there was major construction across the street. The valet was less than accommodating and made getting my car a hassle, but at that point I wasn't surprised. I hope they improve soon, as the location and lobby are nice. However, I would never stay here again with all of the other excellent options in the area.
1 night family trip Feb 15, 2015
Travis
Excellent.
1 night business trip Feb 15, 2015
charles
Had an amazing stay. Staff was very friendly!
1 night romance trip Feb 15, 2015
Andrea
"Ahhh just So so"
Pros. Nice location. Cute and looks nice in the lobby. Free beer and wine everyday in the lobby. Cool roof heated pool. Cons. The roof pool was trashed and dirty. Every seating area had cups plates. Looks like it was like that for hours. We didn't want to stick around. We paid for a view room and now they are building a high rise next door our room be comes a peak a boo view. The front desk guy didn't know a answer to a question I had nore did he ask anyone else. The bed was a cheaper 1 bed cuz when I would go with in a foot from the edge it starts to cave in.
Other trip Feb 17, 2015
ryan
"Perfect Location for Visiting Downtown San Diego"
Stayed for one night. Good experience, staff was friendly, and room service was nice. Loved the mini bar selections.
Juan Pablo
We had a great stay! The staff were all very pleasant and helpful and the hotel was close to everything. I definitely recommend hotel Solamar!
dee
"Nice place but not that comfortable"
There is major construction going on right next door and we had a great view of it. The room was nice and clean but the bed wasn't comfortable. I'd stay there again if I had to, but if nicer places are available I'd go with the other.
"Earplug Welcome"
The hotel was fine. During my stay in February 2015 though, it was surrounded by construction sites, which compromised the overall quality of the stay. The hotel greeted you with a selection of ear plugs on the nightstand. Bottom line: even thought you're in the Gaslamp Quarter and the hotel itself is good quality, the construction is a little downer.
1 night business trip Feb 10, 2015
Marco
"Great service great location"
Overall great hotel. Excellent front desk and valet service. Great location. Drawback is current surrounding construction - but only a temporary problem. Room was comfortable, clean and equipped. Had a problem with no heat in my room and maintenance was there in less than two minutes and took care of the oroblem immediately. Surroundikg neighbours were noisy 20-somethings, but weren't too obtrusive. With all the nearby bars and restaurants we didn't bother with the hotel restaurant or bar but both looked good.
3 night trip with friends Feb 5, 2015
"Great Hotel Stay"
This hotel was really nice and in a great area. The rooms were very modern and hip. I had an opportunity to sit out by the pool and it is on the smaller side however the deck is still very nice with covered areas and a pool bar. Their were only 2 downsides (1) when it's really quiet in the room you can hear the person next door if they are on the phone etc. However once I turned on my TV that was no longer an issue. (2) The $45 valet parking is a bit steep. Where the hotel is located, you can beat it as it's within walking distance to tons of restaurants, bars and nightlife. It's also really close to the airport as well. I would stay here again if my travels take me back to San Diego.
1 night business trip Feb 12, 2015
Kimberly
"Another great Kimpton"
I love Kimptons and this was another great hotel. My only gripe is their cost for parking...$45. Easy walking distance to everything in the Gaslamp including the convention center and PetCo Park; easy to reach from the freeway.
1 night business trip Feb 9, 2015
Kimberly
"In the mix in San Diego"
The hotel is very nice, however our room was located near bar/pool so it was a little noisy. If you are looking for a hotel in the gaslamp that puts you right in the mix then this is for you. The hotel offers a mini bar that is fairly pricey, so I recommend avoiding it if you are on a budget. The gym is updated, clean, and nice. The staff are friendly.
3 night romance trip Jan 16, 2015
Very nice hotel close to my conference site and close to Gaslight Square. Safe area. Would book this hotel again.
Other trip Feb 2, 2015
Sheila
asked the staff for directions many times and each time they printed out our directions. Very helpful.
Other trip Feb 2, 2015
"NiceHotel"
Nice hotel, a bit of construction around, but didn't hear it. Had a happy hour with free beer. Parking was expensive and no in room coffee maker, though coffee was provided in the lobby. That's a negative for me.
Other trip Feb 1, 2015
laura
"Cute"
Love the huge room! The staff was fabulous and the location was great! Very close to Gaslamp District and the San Diego Training Center where my meeting was held.
Other trip Jan 30, 2015
"Close to Gaslight Square"
Very nice hotel. Close to the conference and to Gaslight Square.
Other trip Jan 29, 2015
Sheila
"Weekend Stay"
The hotel is in a great location in the Gaslamp area with many restaurants nearby. The pool was great and we were able to watch the NFC/AFC championship games with sound at the pool bar. Highly recommend this hotel.
3 night romance trip Jan 17, 2015
Kristina
"Beautiful and pet friendly"
The hotel is beautiful, nice location, and the best part that it's pet friendly. We have 2 huge dogs, and it's so nice to be able to stay with them in such a nice place. (Comparing to some other pet friendly San Diego hotels, most of them don't allow big dogs and have all kind of restrictions). The restaurant downstairs was good too
Other trip Jan 19, 2015
Indigo
"Boutique Lovely close to the Convention Center"
My husband and I stayed here for four nights and we enjoyed the decor and the comfort of the room. The location is close to fifth, which has lots of great restaurant choices and plenty of night life. Our hotel was quiet for sleeping and the poolside service was excellent. I would have loved a bit more light in the bathroom for getting ready.
Other trip Jan 19, 2015
Rhonda
This hotel was perfect for a weekend getaway with my boyfriend and pup. Literally no complaints, and We will definitely book again.
2 night romance trip Jan 9, 2015
caitlin
"Good location, very friendly staff"
Needed a break from mountain cold. Hello San Diego! Great visit. Hotel has an easy mood. Very yummy restaurant on ground level. Rooftop bar nice for late afternoon break.
Other trip Jan 16, 2015
pam
"Awesome Hotel!!"
Great place to stay!!! Great happy hour with complimentary local beer and wine was a plus and walking distance of everything!! Definitely staying here again!!
1 night trip with friends Jan 10, 2015
Carina
"Blind sighted by dogs in hotel."
My husband and I were really disappointed to find dogs in the hotel. We were not informed before booking. Also our bathroom floor had not been mopped.
2 night trip Jan 2, 2015
Eloise
"Why stay anywhere else when you can stay here."
I always stay at the Hotel Solamar when in San Diego. Great Location, Great Price, and Great Hotel. Poolside bar is awesome. Right on the fringe of the GasLamp District so its close to everything. Hotel staff are always great. Service is top notch
3 night business trip Jan 6, 2015
"Nice hotel."
Only one chair in the room and it was very uncomfortable. The shower drained into the bathroom. No towel rack or hooks in the bathroom. Mold on the shower curtain. Overall a nice place but the room we had needs some attention.
1 night business trip Jan 10, 2015
"Loved it!!"
Lovely hotel in the heart of the Gaslamp District. Friendly, attentive staff, very clean and comfortable. Found the $45 per night parking fee excessive, but found a $15/night parking tower a block away. Would definitely stay here again!
4 night family trip Jan 4, 2015
Dale
I liked the place and it was great to get a look at the neighborhood. Good value I thought.
Response by Hotel Solamar, a Kimpton Hotel
We appreciate the nice feedback and 4 start review of our hotel. Thank you for choosing to stay with us here at Solamar and Kimpton Hotels. The neighborhood is definitely fun and convenient to so many attractions and venues in the Gaslamp Quarter. We hope we get a chance to see you again soon.
Other trip Jan 8, 2015
"great stay"
Great environment, nice staff and beautiful room!
Response by Hotel Solamar, a Kimpton Hotel
Thank you for your stay and glowing review. The team here works really hard to provide a great experience and your mention of it is fantastic. Wishing you all the best in the New Year and we hope to have your back as our guest in the near future.
1 night romance trip Jan 2, 2015
"Couples retreat"
so much fun !!
Response by Hotel Solamar, a Kimpton Hotel
Couples retreats are amazing, and we are thrilled you had such a great time here in San Diego with us. We may to market more to couples get-a-ways... you may have turned us on to a new segment :) We appreciate your visit and your great review. Thanks so much!
1 night romance trip Jan 3, 2015
Jenna
"Great place to stay!"
Hotel had a great location. Short walk to seaport. The hotel is presently doing some remodeling but we were never bothered by noise. Room was always clean. Outside bar area on 4th floor was great. Our one major complaint was in the next room they had a cat that cried all night long. We would stay at this place again.
Response by Hotel Solamar, a Kimpton Hotel
Thank you for your great 5 star review. We were in process of some lobby and living room tile work while you were here, and thank you for you patience with it. The project is complete and looks great, so we will need to get you back to see if for approval. Thank you again.
5 night romance trip Dec 26, 2014
"Working stay."
Excellent. Guest from hell in the next room, shouting in the corridors and slamming their door about 20 times in two hours. This was from 1.30 a.m until 3:am. Hotel security did warn them and when they paid no attention the hotel security then asked them to leave.
Response by Hotel Solamar, a Kimpton Hotel
OH NO! Our sincere apologies about the guest next to you during your stay. We typically have a very well traveled and respectful guest base stay with us, although every once in a great while something goes amiss common courtesy. I hope we get another opportunity to show you an actual good nights sleep on your next trip to San Diego. Thanks for your review however Derek.
Other trip Jan 5, 2015
Derek
Good location. Good service. Great hosted local beer/wine hour.
Response by Hotel Solamar, a Kimpton Hotel
Hi Jenn, thank you for your stay and for your review. One of our favorite things here ourselves is the beer/wine hour. Not only for the great taste, but for the opportunity to interact with our guests. We are thrilled you enjoyed your time here with us. Come see us again soon.
Other trip Jan 5, 2015
Jenn
"NYE 2014"
Hotel was very nice, well decorated and in great location. Staff was very friendly and on point. Also offered great deal to eat at their restaurant. Only issue was given a room on fourth floor which was next to the pool. Felt lacked privacy as people could see inside room with curtains open. The shower head did not adjust as it was broken so the water came out with too much pressure. Overall happy with room.
Response by Hotel Solamar, a Kimpton Hotel
Great to see your comments about our staff and property. Thank you so much. We do indeed have those rooms on the 4th floor that outline our pool & lounge, most enjoy them although certainly privacy can be comprised with the curtains open. I hope you enjoyed your night and we hope to see you back again. Thanks so much for your 4 star review.
3 night romance trip Dec 30, 2014
"Another great stay"
Another great stay here, great staff.
Response by Hotel Solamar, a Kimpton Hotel
Sometimes the staff makes all the difference (most times actually). Thank you for your recognition of the team here, they are very proud of what they do on a daily basis, so I'm glad that shined through for you during your visit. We appreciate your visit and hope we become your 1st choice when traveling to San Diego.
1 night trip Dec 31, 2014
"Interesting hotel on the edge of the Gaslight"
Comfortable characterfull hotel experience in the heart of Dan Diego's Gaslight district. Rooms are comfortable and spacious.
Response by Hotel Solamar, a Kimpton Hotel
Thank you for choosing to spend your time with us here at Solamar, and thank you for your very nice review. We hope you really enjoyed your visit to San Diego, and hope to see you back as often as you can.
Other trip Jan 4, 2015
"Great Location in the Gaslamp/Harbor Area"
Location was great. If you don't want to pay $42 per day for hotel parking, the public parking garage at 6th and K (one block away) is only $15 per day. Unfortunately during our stay, the lobby was under construction and jackhammer noise in the morning made us want to escape the hotel immediately rather than linger for coffee in the lobby. But the wealth of restaurants and entertainment options in the neighborhood made that less of an issue. We were hardly in the hotel. Rooms were very comfortable, and drinks one evening on the pool deck at sunset was a highlight. On a final note, the hotel welcomes dogs, and while this can be a bonus for some, while we were there some dogs became very unruly/vocal with one another and another room down the hall left the dog barking in their room.
3 night family trip Dec 25, 2014
"Xmas time"
A lot of construction going on around the hotel, but it still is a great location for San Diego
Response by Hotel Solamar, a Kimpton Hotel
Thanks so much for your great 5 star review. We agree that the location here is fantastic, and the neighborhood continues to grow. The short term effect of some construction will be well worth the gain as the area continues to offer more and more venues for our guests. We hope to see you again once our new neighbors are open for business.
4 night romance trip Dec 22, 2014
"Staff goes the extra mile"
Very nice hotel. Went for my bday and sweet staff member, Marissa, arranged for the most delicious cupcakes to be in my room when I returned from my night out. Very thoughtful!
1 night romance trip Dec 29, 2014
rachelle
"Decent hotel in great location."
We stayed here during Christmas week. The staff was helpful and friendly. Cleaning service was inconsistent and one day no one came at all. Happy hour was good but skimpy on food. I don't mind a few dogs but the hotel was full of them. Most were well behaved but I did get jumped on twice in the elevator. Dogs were allowed in all of the common areas. The bed was very comfortable. Lots of restaurants and bars within blocks.
Response by Hotel Solamar, a Kimpton Hotel
Hi Julie, thank you for taking the time to review your stay here. I'm glad the staff impressed you, as they really work so hard to do so for all our guests. Happy Hour each night is awesome and definitely a hit with our guests. Our Jsix restaurant provides the appetizers at happy hour to hopefully entice you to come join them for dinner as well. We wouldn't want you completely full at happy hour :) We are certainly a pet-friendly hotel and Christmas time when vacations are a bit longer than our normal guests visit, we can get quite a few pets at the hotel. We are impressed with how well behaved they are actually. Happy New Year and we hope to see you again sometime.
Other trip Dec 31, 2014
"Great getaway."
The hotel staff was very accomodating and friendly. The location was excellent and within walking distance to everything. I will definitely stay here again.
3 night romance trip Dec 26, 2014
Calvin
"nice hotel"
Room was very nice, staff was friendly and helpful. Did find the bed and pillows to be uncomfortable
3 night family trip Dec 25, 2014
Staff is helpful , location is amazing. Walking distance to a lot of dining and bars. Parking is expensive so I opted for the ace parking structure about a block away(15$ a day). This hotel had some construction going on by elevator on lower floor, a bit of an eyesore. The curtains were dirty and stained, and I saw some brownish red splash stains on the wall of our room. I advised staff that I did not have a "do not disturb" sign and she proceeded to grab a paper breakfast menu and wrote "do not disturb" on back side of it and hung it on my door knob. Hotel did have bikes available for guests free of charge which was fun. Over all an ok experience, not horrible , but not great. Expected a bit more from a 4star.
Other trip Dec 29, 2014
jfm
"Nice hotel in downtown"
In and around hotel construction going on. But the hotel is conveniently located to a lot of attractions and good food places.
Other trip Dec 28, 2014
bhupesh
"Tries hard, but falls short"
If you don't get a Jr Suite, don't expect to be able to have a roll-away. Standard room won't allow roll-away (no mention of this when booking) due to fire code. Our "upgraded room" was lackluster. Shower head was the worst, bath tub was so large that it took 20 minutes to fill to 1/3 capacity, and the only towel rack in the bathroom was in the shower (yes, in the shower). So, if you forget to remove the towels, you have wet towels to dry off with. Also, bathroom had no exhaust fan, so after showering there was so much condensation that anything of cloth in the room gets totally soaked. Also, bathroom had pocket door with no lock... Bedding was rough, I think the roll-away was the most comfortable bed in the room. Pillows were poor quality. Last thing, I don't mind paying a few bucks for access to mini-bar or bottled water - but $7 for a bottle of water is beyond ridiculous.
Other trip Dec 27, 2014
"Great hotel, but wait 2-3 months for construction"
This is usually one of my favorite hotels in southern california, but with the construction, this was a pretty bad experience. Not only were the remodeling inside (which is a complete eyesore), but the neighboring lots are being turned into condos, and half of the rooms look out at scaffolding. They were kind enough to transfer us to a room facing the pool, but I would've lost it if we hadn't been able to change. Also, the gym is probably the worst I've ever been in - super small (maybe 500 sq ft.), and no fan.
1 night romance trip Dec 18, 2014
"Major Construction"
Hotel is under serious construction. I am disappointed that I booked my room based on location and reviews, then get to the hotel and find that there is a major construction project going on. That should have been noted in the description of the hotel. There were better options I wish I would have taken. So ultimately, these types of bookings are diluting the integrity and reliability of Hotels.com.
1 night business trip Dec 18, 2014
"Hotel Salomar"
Nice boutique hotel with a great location. Friendly service and large rooms.
1 night romance trip Dec 21, 2014
"Very accommodating. Very friendly staff"
Would stay again. The only downside was there was nowhere to grab a late lunch or snack between the times the restaurants were closed.
Other trip Dec 23, 2014