All hotels in Newport, Rhode Island, United States of America
39 Clarke Street, Newport, RI, 02840, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Great location for a one of a kind experience"
The house was built in 1750. That was very exciting to us. It felt like home. The room wasn't particularly frilly or even like a regular hotel but we felt like it was the 19th century and we were having an illicit weekend in a hotel! The location was great. We walked to everything and the street was jam packed with 18th century homes. That is priceless. I wish more towns could embrace old house living like Newport. If you want a cheezy hotel with generic furnishings don't come to the Melville.
Other trip Sep 23, 2014
"An exceptional B & B"
My wife and I enjoyed a brief stay in this lovely, historic Bed & Breakfast. We were greeted warmly, & were given an upgrade when a cancellation provided a larger room. The rooms are very comfortable & clean. Breakfast was excellent. The Inn was in the middle of the village, & a short walk to the waterfront. I would highly recommend this Inn. It's affordable, clean & relaxing. We plan to return!!
1 night romance trip Sep 19, 2014
Dennis
"Antique feel in a cute neighborhood close to all"
we were actually moved into a room at 27 Clark st which was wonderful. Off street parking included with the room meant we didn't have to worry about parking. This is located short walking distance from all the shops and restaurants. The staff was so friendly and welcoming and the breakfast was delicious!
1 night trip Aug 21, 2014
mfuryhop
"Breakfast needs work, good otherwise"
We stayed here for a week. The room was just fine! The house is old, with character. The bathroom was just what a knowledgable person would expect for an old house converted to a B&B with an en suite bathroom- similar to many European places we've stayed. The location was great. Parking was a little complicated, due to small parking lots and minuted street parking (as would be expected for the ok'd part of town with historic houses) but the staff was incredibly helpful with parking. The single issue we had was breakfast. Rooms are supposed to sign up for a breakfast time (on the half hour from 8:00 to 10:00, maybe 10:30). But people would show up willy nilly, and sign up times were not enforced. So often we had to wait for breakfast. An issue if you have a set time you need to make for house tours, etc, so plan ahead accordingly to give yourself some flex time.
Other trip Aug 21, 2014
"Everything excellent!!"
Everything OK! Great breakfast! hope we can return!!
Other trip Jul 21, 2014
Marcela
Great location for an evening in Newport. No TV. Everyone is very nice and accommodating. Breakfast in the morning was good, very minimal.
1 night trip Jul 2, 2014
"Terrible experience from the start"
Zero stars. Check in was at 2:00PM. We arrived at 2:15PM. Our room was not ready so we grabbed a late lunch. When we returned around 5:45PM, our room still was not ready. We had a dinner reservation at 7:00PM and planned on using the room we paid for to get ready prior to heading to dinner. The room wasn't "cleaned" until 6:20PM. Once we entered the room, we found multiple hairs, mold, spiders, and cobwebs throughout the room, shower, toilet, etc. When we brought the issues up to management, nothing was done to justify the issues. When we demanded a refund (we had looked and found a different B&B to stay at for the night) our request was not met. The owner and staff were very unprofessional mocking us as we respectfully expressed our disappointments. Needless to say we didn't make it to dinner. Parking was said to be included off street. The owner ended up having us park in an available spot on the street even though multiple spots were available in the private parking lot. Such a rip off. Trip ruined due to this dreadful B&B.
Other trip Jun 30, 2014
Avid Reviewer
"Super Friendly Staff. Great location."
It's a great location to see downtown Newport. The staff was really friendly and laid back. I would definitely stay here again.
1 night trip with friends May 31, 2014
"Good Location, Questionable Accommodations"
I must give The Melville House Zero Stars. A review showed rooms at The Clarkeston House which was misleading. The Melville House failed to deliver basic services especially when considering their price point. Worn shades. One shade was torn. We could not walk around the foot of the bed without one of us hugging the wall; the room was that small. The bathroom light could not be turned OFF as the switch was inoperable. It stayed ON all day and night. The toilet did not flush properly. The bathroom sink was extremely small and virtually useless. There were no place settings at breakfast; no coffee; no juice; no signs of Ownership. Ownership finally showed and asked if any of us wanted to move across the street for breakfast. We found this question to be very unusual. Clearly, we felt uncomfortable. Next, we were advised that most of the staff had not showed. It became obvious that little or no planning had gone into breakfast. Bacon was listed on the menu yet it was not available. This disorganization eroded the best part of the B&B "experience". Breakfast, 2nd morning: Several guests had already eaten. Soiled dishes, flatware and used coffee mugs littered the table. Staff did nothing to remove them. Ownership was nowhere to be seen. There were no more clean coffee mugs to be had. Coffee was lukewarm. We had to ask for napkins and flatware. Our food was passable. Pros: Proximity to the waterfront, restaurants, and shopping. I cannot recommend The Melville House.
2 night romance trip May 16, 2014
Ken D
1 night family trip Feb 28, 2015

TripAdvisor reviews for Melville House

"Great space"
05/30/15 KCallahanH Cincinnati, Ohio
The innkeeper graciously accommodated me and my adult son with a room with two beds. He was personable and helpful. Young man who helped had great people skills. Delicious breakfast with choices. Close to shopping area.
"Had a GREWAT time in Newport and LOVED the Melville House"
05/26/15 TammeraLee Seattle, Washington
We traveled from New York, Oregon and Seattle. We had 2 rooms and both were very comfortable and charming. We loved the old world feeling and history of the Melville as well as the area. Free parking was an extra bonus. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was perfect and tasty with a nice selection. Within walking distance of everything we needed. We would stay here again and would recommend it to people who are not set on a modern hotel experience. Thank You Melville staff for a great time!!!
"Just like a 3-ring circus!"
09/18/14 Camille S North Bellmore, New York
. The location of this Inn is great and parking is included but the little street was closed for repaving (nowhere to park in order to check in) and it would have been helpful and respectful on the part of the man who greeted us had we been forewarned (this was a shock after a long car trip -- and as they say first impressions are everything)! The bed and linens were acceptable but not so the meager continental breakfast (sorry but watermelon does not go with cornflakes). There are shortcomings of an ancient Inn, but despite this it seemed poorly run. We had more than a few laughs at their expense about the inefficiency and lack of acumen of the owner/manager guy. Thank you Trip Advisor for this service. We were more than amused to read other reviews after (too bad not "before") the trip. Note, would stay there again, nice staff ladies.
"Good enough. Free parking!"
08/19/14 wizelliott Calgary
My room in this historic building was traditionallysmall but good enough with a clean comfortable bed. I had a private bathroom but not all rooms do. Ask first. Walking distance to everything in Newport. Great location. Free parking all day and night which is rare in this town. Upon arrival the hotel managers were very accommodating BUT the other staff mostly seemed like it was their first day on the job. Little knowledge of hotel layout and it's workings (breakfast, keys, building layout, wifi, parking,etc). I skipped the breakfast part of this B&B after reading some negative reviews. Ate at the Franklin Spa instead which was okay. Overall, yes, I would stay here again. And I hope to!
"More like a Hostel"
08/07/14 victoriahobbs Newfoundland
Calling this a B&B is incorrect. The Melville House is more like a Hostel with Cornflakes for Breakfast.We booked online and found it a hassle when we went to check in - they didn't have our reservations and then didn't know if we paid or not.. Melville House has very few amenities and the room was run down. The best thing about the place is the location. If I paid the price it was worth my review may be a little different. They are charging a lot of money for a hostel type accommodations. I would not recommend this place to anyone.
"A lot gets you a little."
08/05/14 Joseph C Middle Village, New York
Stayed here out of desperation, as a folk festival was in town for the weekend and this was one of the last suitable accomodations available. Let's just say there Saturday fee is very steep for a small room with minimal ammenities. It was like paying a five star hotel price for bed and breakfast. Speaking of, the breakfast was nothing to write home about, as it was just cereal and fruit salad. Also, they do have multiple parking lots, but I felt kind of trapped in for the evening, I wanted to take my car for exploring but was worried about not finding a spot when I came back. The management said if such happens I could double park in the lot, and they would take my keys and correct in the morning, which was not something I felt comfortable with. However, there are some bright spots, the two guys who run it are exceptionally friendly and invited us in for breakfast although we came extremely early. On the downside the night manager, she had switched our room, but did not let us know that until check in time. They claimed there was a bachelorette party staying near our previous room, and that this room was an upgrade. On the surface it was, as we got a King instead of a Queen and a large bathtub. However, for the pricing I would prefer to have everything as I originally booked it. As well it is a quaint setting with its comfortably decorated B&B style rooms. It is also close to all the shops, bars, and restauarants. This area does get a little crowded at night, but it is where all the action is. I would reccomend this with hesitation, as it is quaint and the staff is mostly awesome, but for the price its a lot to pay for a B&B experience, especially at weekend rates.
"A VERY Expensive Joke of a B & B!"
07/29/14 NightingaleMichigan Michigan
I want to reiterate what "ShoreStops" reviewer has written in that this is NOT a place that we could suggest to anyone! You are paying top dollar for a minimally adequate hotel/suite accommodation. 1 Q bed and 2 very old poorly supportive fold up cots were in the 2 rooms when we arrived. We had been told we would have 3 beds! The bathroom was in poor run-down condition. The 1 window AC unit barely kept the 2 rooms cool enough to have a sound sleep in the very hot humid weather. We could not open windows because the table directly outside our bedroom window was for those who wanted to sit outside and smoke....and therefore the smoke came into our room...whether or not the window was opened or closed...and the chatter of those smoking was annoying when you were trying to sleep. There were 2 doors that gave us entry and exit to our rooms. Neither were operable! We were told by the mgt...."just jiggle the knob and push that little button when you want out....sometimes that help"....!!! And in the event of a fire the resident is to do WHAT? A safety hazard....a fire trap! The breakfast accommodation was a joke. Seating for about 16, but there are approx 3 X that many residents each night and if all seats in the breakfast room were taken you were told to go to the house next door and your breakfast would be delivered.....It was very difficult to know if you would get a "full cooked breakfast"...whoever was the cook had only one speed....slow. The food was good....but after 1 morning of the 45+ min wait for the food, we went elsewhere. Those who had to go "next door" said "our food was cold buy the time it arrived". Overheard while waiting to find out how we could lock our front door at night "Our shower isn't working"....the mgt gave the couple a key to another room so they could get a shower...."But there are people in that room"....mgt said "Oh, they are already out for the day...just use this key and take your showers...no problem". That is the kind of experience you will have if you stay at this B & B. To repeat ShoreStops....Even being a convenient overnight spot....it is not worth the headache....find another place!
"Perfect location, clean and cozy."
07/09/14 Floridia_traveler
I stayed here in late June/early July for four nights. Nearly everything was perfect. The staff were helpful. The breakfast was well prepared and ample. The bed was cozy. The room was delightfully cool. There was a nice sized closet and a luggage stand. I know there are some difficulties with making a modern room out of a historic building. That having been said, the bathroom was very tight. My knee bumped against the pipes when I sat down on the stool. But the worst was the tiny shower stall. I am a tallish woman, 5'7", and I could not lean over to pick up the soap when I dropped it because the stall was so small. I had to squat down to retrieve it. There was one very narrow ledge for my toiletries--not adequate for even my soap, let alone shampoo and conditioner. Also, the shower hear sprayed in just two or three tiny jets. I think that the other jets were clogged with lime. If it were my B&B, I would upgrade the shower head and hang a toiletries shelf above somehow so a person could have a place for everything they need. I don't suppose anything can be done about the tiny stall because of the constraints of the old building and its historic place status. Neither of these things would stop my staying here again if I revisit Newport.
"Good Location; Questionable Accommodations"
05/19/14 ShoreStops Northern NJ
The Melville House Category: Bed & Breakfast 5/19/2014 As a senior contributor to both Trip Advisor and YELP, I cannot recall ever giving ZERO Stars to a place of lodging. However, in the interest of providing assistance to fellow travelers, I must give The Melville House Zero Stars. It was my oversight to later learn that there was little, if any, photos and documentation of The Melville House on-line; more on that later on. Hopefully, this review will prevent others from making that same mistake. First, hotels.com, at the time of my booking (mid-May) did not post photos of rooms at The Melville House other than the buildings' exterior. Booking.com posted reviews for The Melville House yet those photos represented rooms at The Clarkeston House, several doors down, apparently operated by the same Inn Keeper. This was where my error occurred; I had not noticed the "qualifier" in the upper RH corner of the web pg. (There may also be other B&B's on Clarke St that are associated with the Owner.) Following our stay, I now suspect why interior photos of The Melville House are difficult to find on-line. The Cons: I want to begin by stating that, for me, a B&B is not only a room; breakfast, and the experience that goes with it are an important part of the stay. I'm not expecting nor do I want crystal chandeliers hanging overhead nor do I expect silver plate and fine china table settings. What I do expect, is feeling welcomed, greeted by management, and all those customary conveniences found in our own home during breakfast time; a clean table and place settings. The Melville House failed to deliver most, if not all of those aspects that most B&B's and Inn's offer, especially when considering their price point. - Our Room: We were booked on the 2nd floor facing the street. Worn shades were pulled down for privacy and had seen better days. One shade was torn. Cafe curtains would have been more appropriate offering privacy and taste. Both of us could not walk around the foot of the bed without one of us hugging the wall; the room was that small. The mattress was the wrong size and did not properly fit the four poster bed frame. The bathroom light could not be turned OFF as the switch was inoperable. It stayed ON all day and night. The toilet did not flush properly. The Toilet ran for quite awhile before shutting OFF. The bathroom sink was smaller than one would find in a small sailboat and was close to being useless. There was no TV in our room; Hotels.com confirmed as much. After returning to our room following dinner, we found it to be very warm and humid. Our room had central AC. I called the office and asked that the AC be turned ON. I was advised that they had not planned on using the AC yet. I insisted and the AC activated. (Note that the Inn Keeper suggested that a window AC unit be installed in our room. Frankly, I found this quite confusing when considering that our room had central AC.) Breakfast: Breakfast would be served at 9:30. The Inn Keeper mentioned that this would be served in the building next door. We entered the breakfast room, found three other couples waiting for breakfast. There were no place settings; no coffee; no juice; no signs of Ownership. Ownership finally showed and asked if any of us wanted to move across the street for breakfast. We found this question to be very unusual. No explanation was given to support this announcement. Clearly, we felt uncomfortable. Next, we were advised that most of the staff had not showed. Once the "cook" showed up, we ordered. It became obvious that little or no planning had gone into serving breakfast. Bacon was listed on the menu yet it was not available. Our food was acceptable yet the lack of warmth and organization eroded the best part of the B&B "experience". Breakfast, 2nd morning: We arrived at 9:30. Apparently, several guests had already eaten. Soiled dishes and flatware as well as used coffee mugs remained on the table. Staff did nothing to remove them. Ownership was nowhere to be seen. Awkwardness was apparent. There were no more clean coffee mugs to be had. Staff had to retrieve them from another building. Coffee was lukewarm. We also had to ask for napkins and flatware. The extra bacon that I was promised turned into two very small curls of bacon despite an earlier discussion with Ownership. Our food was passable yet nothing special. Their Phone Number: Prior to leaving for Newport, I placed a call to The Melville House, using the phone number shown on my confirming e-mail sent by Hotels.com however the phone number is incorrect. Their correct phone number is: 401-848-5300. I registered my complaint with Hotels.com. Regardless of this review, my goal is to help other travelers. (FYI, their Wi-Fi code was never given to us nor were we instructed on securing the front door to the building.) Pros: Proximity to the waterfront, restaurants, and shopping. I cannot recommend The Melville House regardless of their ideal location.
"Friendly staff, accommodations fair, Newport was GREAT!"
08/21/13 Tracey L Throggs Neck, New York
Melville House - The staff was very friendly. ROOM - Upon our arrival the room we were shown I did not like -- so Cloe took the time and effort to show us a number of rooms until we found one acceptable. Although the bathroom was as small as the one in a camper (the sink might be smaller) and not what is shown on their website, the room was ok. No Central AC in our room but there was a window air conditioner. There is no TV in the room (but I knew that from the reviews) so we figured we would watch something off the computer but, could not get internet service. (bed was lumpy). The Inn itself is from the 1700 so the stairs and walls are a "bit crooked" but I guess you could say that it adds "character". FOOD - breakfast is served in the sister property two doors down. Zack was our waiter and he did a fine job. He was attentive and efficient. The breakfast is a bit of a "bare bones" breakfast but it was good. Choice of eggs, french toast or pancakes. Fresh OJ, coffee, toast, peanut butter, jam, fresh fruit, coffee and tea. LOCATION - ok this was the best part. The location of this property is what "saved the day". You cannot beat the location! It is 1 block away from the main street (America's Cup Way). The only time we took the car out was to tour. Parking is a big factor here and we never had a problem finding a spot in one of their lots. Final review of the property -- ok. I did take the time to look at a few B & B's near by in case we return to Newport. If you are busy travelers (like us) you are really never in the room and location, location, location was more important to us. (oh, and there was no closet in the room either - just one five drawer dresser. There was a closet door but the broken handle was in a drawer, so who knows! ACTIVITIES/RESTAURANTS - Mansion tours - go to the Welcome Center in town and buy a 5 tour pass. Much cheaper then individual tour prices. The Newport Harbor Shuttle was a good deal. $10.00 pp for a day "hop on hop off" pass. Great way to see the Mansions, Fort Adams, Lighthouses, Goat Island, etc. from the water. The Cliff Walk was a nice. The Red Parrott was an excellent restaurant for a good price. Food was delish!