All hotels in Newport, Rhode Island, United States of America
39 Clarke Street, Newport, RI, 02840, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

4.9
"Great, personalized service, great location"
Bathroom was up the hall. Not a big issue, but was not up front in the advertising
1 night romance trip Oct 16, 2015
Erickk
Extremley bare bones- no hair dryer in room Must be a size 6 or less to take shower Did help w luggage No mention at all of coffee or breakfast inthe morning
1 night business trip Sep 10, 2015
Nicole
"A charming room in a historical house"
Considering the history of the house, the room is quite nice. The hospitality of the staff is greatly appreciated. They make sure your need is met and sincerely hope you have a good time staying. The cook to order breakfast is wonderful but don't forget to sign it up the night before, since it is included in the rate. The location of the house is perfect. The business district is nearby but yet far enough to avoid the noise. Definitely will recommend to friends and will come back again.
Other trip Sep 4, 2015
truly
"Lovely getaway Inns with great service"
I didn't actually stay at the Melville House because the manager was so kind as to upgrade me for both nights of my stay. The first night I stayed at 36 Elm in a modest but comfortable and clean room; for an affordable price in Newport in the middle of high season I wasn't worried about the old TV or the lack of wifi. The second night I stayed at Cleveland House which does have wifi and was a bigger room. Both houses had kitchens with breakfast items available, a nice touch and way to save a few bucks if you're on a budget! Both were in great neighborhoods within walking distance to great restaurants and Newport scenery. The staff was very kind and I would definitely stay again!
2 night trip Aug 15, 2015
"Nice stay at a cozy hospitable Inn"
Great small Inn located at the best possible location- quiet street, couple of blocks from the main attractions, minutes walk to the waterfront... Free parking.. The owner and staff were on hand for questions; gave us an upgrade right away; help with parking and transferred the car to a better spot, shade, as soon as it was available. Old traditional house, feel of a true small Bed and Breakfast experience, cozy room.. Would go again soon...
2 night romance trip Aug 15, 2015
Gorazd
"Fist time thru Newport Rhode Island"
We had just eaten a fabulous dinner at The Salvation Cafe...driving thru the downtown neighborhood driving toward Illinois...checked in late 11;00pm....the front desk girl Darlita from Jamaica was SO nice even helped us find a parking spot. The next morning fresh fruit cereal bagels eggs waffles pancakes bacon sausage fresh squeezed OJ milk and coffee!! Very friendly staff!!! GREAT location!!
1 night romance trip Aug 5, 2015
lisa
"Newport"
Great Staff, Awesome location.
1 night business trip Aug 6, 2015
"Very Old Sort of Fun"
Spent two days in Newport. Looking for a place to sleep. Not looking for a resort hotel.
Other trip Aug 2, 2015
Art
"Weird"
Place was quaint and beautiful breakfast was great location was great but the owner kept complaining that I had used Expedia and gotten the room for much less than it was worth he made me feel bad that I had ordered a smaller room.
Other trip Jul 17, 2015
"Lovely hotel walking distance to Newport center"
Our room was very nice. We were upgraded when we arrived. Staff very friendly. Delicious breakfast!
Other trip Jun 7, 2015
"Great location for a one of a kind experience"
The house was built in 1750. That was very exciting to us. It felt like home. The room wasn't particularly frilly or even like a regular hotel but we felt like it was the 19th century and we were having an illicit weekend in a hotel! The location was great. We walked to everything and the street was jam packed with 18th century homes. That is priceless. I wish more towns could embrace old house living like Newport. If you want a cheezy hotel with generic furnishings don't come to the Melville.
Other trip Sep 23, 2014
"An exceptional B & B"
My wife and I enjoyed a brief stay in this lovely, historic Bed & Breakfast. We were greeted warmly, & were given an upgrade when a cancellation provided a larger room. The rooms are very comfortable & clean. Breakfast was excellent. The Inn was in the middle of the village, & a short walk to the waterfront. I would highly recommend this Inn. It's affordable, clean & relaxing. We plan to return!!
1 night romance trip Sep 19, 2014
Dennis
"Antique feel in a cute neighborhood close to all"
we were actually moved into a room at 27 Clark st which was wonderful. Off street parking included with the room meant we didn't have to worry about parking. This is located short walking distance from all the shops and restaurants. The staff was so friendly and welcoming and the breakfast was delicious!
1 night trip Aug 21, 2014
mfuryhop
"Breakfast needs work, good otherwise"
We stayed here for a week. The room was just fine! The house is old, with character. The bathroom was just what a knowledgable person would expect for an old house converted to a B&B with an en suite bathroom- similar to many European places we've stayed. The location was great. Parking was a little complicated, due to small parking lots and minuted street parking (as would be expected for the ok'd part of town with historic houses) but the staff was incredibly helpful with parking. The single issue we had was breakfast. Rooms are supposed to sign up for a breakfast time (on the half hour from 8:00 to 10:00, maybe 10:30). But people would show up willy nilly, and sign up times were not enforced. So often we had to wait for breakfast. An issue if you have a set time you need to make for house tours, etc, so plan ahead accordingly to give yourself some flex time.
Other trip Aug 21, 2014
"Everything excellent!!"
Everything OK! Great breakfast! hope we can return!!
Other trip Jul 21, 2014
Marcela
Great location for an evening in Newport. No TV. Everyone is very nice and accommodating. Breakfast in the morning was good, very minimal.
1 night trip Jul 2, 2014
"Terrible experience from the start"
Zero stars. Check in was at 2:00PM. We arrived at 2:15PM. Our room was not ready so we grabbed a late lunch. When we returned around 5:45PM, our room still was not ready. We had a dinner reservation at 7:00PM and planned on using the room we paid for to get ready prior to heading to dinner. The room wasn't "cleaned" until 6:20PM. Once we entered the room, we found multiple hairs, mold, spiders, and cobwebs throughout the room, shower, toilet, etc. When we brought the issues up to management, nothing was done to justify the issues. When we demanded a refund (we had looked and found a different B&B to stay at for the night) our request was not met. The owner and staff were very unprofessional mocking us as we respectfully expressed our disappointments. Needless to say we didn't make it to dinner. Parking was said to be included off street. The owner ended up having us park in an available spot on the street even though multiple spots were available in the private parking lot. Such a rip off. Trip ruined due to this dreadful B&B.
Other trip Jun 30, 2014
Avid Reviewer
"Super Friendly Staff. Great location."
It's a great location to see downtown Newport. The staff was really friendly and laid back. I would definitely stay here again.
1 night trip with friends May 31, 2014
"Good Location, Questionable Accommodations"
I must give The Melville House Zero Stars. A review showed rooms at The Clarkeston House which was misleading. The Melville House failed to deliver basic services especially when considering their price point. Worn shades. One shade was torn. We could not walk around the foot of the bed without one of us hugging the wall; the room was that small. The bathroom light could not be turned OFF as the switch was inoperable. It stayed ON all day and night. The toilet did not flush properly. The bathroom sink was extremely small and virtually useless. There were no place settings at breakfast; no coffee; no juice; no signs of Ownership. Ownership finally showed and asked if any of us wanted to move across the street for breakfast. We found this question to be very unusual. Clearly, we felt uncomfortable. Next, we were advised that most of the staff had not showed. It became obvious that little or no planning had gone into breakfast. Bacon was listed on the menu yet it was not available. This disorganization eroded the best part of the B&B "experience". Breakfast, 2nd morning: Several guests had already eaten. Soiled dishes, flatware and used coffee mugs littered the table. Staff did nothing to remove them. Ownership was nowhere to be seen. There were no more clean coffee mugs to be had. Coffee was lukewarm. We had to ask for napkins and flatware. Our food was passable. Pros: Proximity to the waterfront, restaurants, and shopping. I cannot recommend The Melville House.
2 night romance trip May 16, 2014
Ken D

Chambre petite mais cosy. Petit déjeuner servi par des personnes aimables et serviables.
1 night romance trip Oct 16, 2015
Annick
FR
"Historiska kvarter"
Nära till shopping och restaurangerna i hamnområdet. Hotellet ligger på en lugn gata och vi fick plats till bilen inne på gården. Melville House är ett av flera hus som ingår i samma "hotell" och vi fick välja rum i ett annat hus intill. Frukosten kunde serveras i ett annat hus, det var litet olika varje dag. Vi bodde högst upp utan hiss, men det var ordentlig a/c på rummet så det var helt ok.
3 night romance trip Jul 28, 2015
1 night family trip Feb 28, 2015

TripAdvisor reviews for Melville House

"Perfect Vacation"
09/03/15 Mage M
I cannot say enough great things about the inn at Melville House. The minute you walk in you feel like you're at home. You are greeted by a very sweet staff and given an option of several rooms to look at and then you get to choose your room! We stayed in the Clarkeston which is right across the street from the main building. Our room was beautiful, full of sunlight and spotless with a great double shower. If you're looking for your stereotypical hotel experience, try another place. If you want to stay in a part of history (these inns date back to the 1700's) and feel right at home then this is for you. It was incredibly romantic, the best location - walking distance to all of Newport's attractions and restaurants and the boardwalk/wharf area. Delicious fresh breakfast every morning in beautiful little dining rooms. They even brought a small fridge up to our room for us. We are sad to leave but know we will be back in the near future.
"Very Accommodating!!!!!"
08/14/15 Missy445 Rumford, Rhode Island
I came to check in at 12:30 and they accommodated me right away. They gave me a room without an issue. They first gave me a room without a private bath and so I asked for one and they gave me another room right away and helped me move my luggage. This place is great!!! I would definitely stay here again! It doesn't have free breakfast but the manager said my husband and I are welcome to get a coffee in the morning.
"Great space"
05/30/15 KCallahanH Cincinnati, Ohio
The innkeeper graciously accommodated me and my adult son with a room with two beds. He was personable and helpful. Young man who helped had great people skills. Delicious breakfast with choices. Close to shopping area.
"Had a GREWAT time in Newport and LOVED the Melville House"
05/26/15 TammeraLee Seattle, Washington
We traveled from New York, Oregon and Seattle. We had 2 rooms and both were very comfortable and charming. We loved the old world feeling and history of the Melville as well as the area. Free parking was an extra bonus. The staff was very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was perfect and tasty with a nice selection. Within walking distance of everything we needed. We would stay here again and would recommend it to people who are not set on a modern hotel experience. Thank You Melville staff for a great time!!!
"Just like a 3-ring circus!"
09/18/14 Camille S North Bellmore, New York
. The location of this Inn is great and parking is included but the little street was closed for repaving (nowhere to park in order to check in) and it would have been helpful and respectful on the part of the man who greeted us had we been forewarned (this was a shock after a long car trip -- and as they say first impressions are everything)! The bed and linens were acceptable but not so the meager continental breakfast (sorry but watermelon does not go with cornflakes). There are shortcomings of an ancient Inn, but despite this it seemed poorly run. We had more than a few laughs at their expense about the inefficiency and lack of acumen of the owner/manager guy. Thank you Trip Advisor for this service. We were more than amused to read other reviews after (too bad not "before") the trip. Note, would stay there again, nice staff ladies.
"Good enough. Free parking!"
08/19/14 wizelliott Calgary
My room in this historic building was traditionallysmall but good enough with a clean comfortable bed. I had a private bathroom but not all rooms do. Ask first. Walking distance to everything in Newport. Great location. Free parking all day and night which is rare in this town. Upon arrival the hotel managers were very accommodating BUT the other staff mostly seemed like it was their first day on the job. Little knowledge of hotel layout and it's workings (breakfast, keys, building layout, wifi, parking,etc). I skipped the breakfast part of this B&B after reading some negative reviews. Ate at the Franklin Spa instead which was okay. Overall, yes, I would stay here again. And I hope to!
"More like a Hostel"
08/07/14 victoriahobbs Newfoundland
Calling this a B&B is incorrect. The Melville House is more like a Hostel with Cornflakes for Breakfast.We booked online and found it a hassle when we went to check in - they didn't have our reservations and then didn't know if we paid or not.. Melville House has very few amenities and the room was run down. The best thing about the place is the location. If I paid the price it was worth my review may be a little different. They are charging a lot of money for a hostel type accommodations. I would not recommend this place to anyone.
"A lot gets you a little."
08/05/14 Joseph C Middle Village, New York
Stayed here out of desperation, as a folk festival was in town for the weekend and this was one of the last suitable accomodations available. Let's just say there Saturday fee is very steep for a small room with minimal ammenities. It was like paying a five star hotel price for bed and breakfast. Speaking of, the breakfast was nothing to write home about, as it was just cereal and fruit salad. Also, they do have multiple parking lots, but I felt kind of trapped in for the evening, I wanted to take my car for exploring but was worried about not finding a spot when I came back. The management said if such happens I could double park in the lot, and they would take my keys and correct in the morning, which was not something I felt comfortable with. However, there are some bright spots, the two guys who run it are exceptionally friendly and invited us in for breakfast although we came extremely early. On the downside the night manager, she had switched our room, but did not let us know that until check in time. They claimed there was a bachelorette party staying near our previous room, and that this room was an upgrade. On the surface it was, as we got a King instead of a Queen and a large bathtub. However, for the pricing I would prefer to have everything as I originally booked it. As well it is a quaint setting with its comfortably decorated B&B style rooms. It is also close to all the shops, bars, and restauarants. This area does get a little crowded at night, but it is where all the action is. I would reccomend this with hesitation, as it is quaint and the staff is mostly awesome, but for the price its a lot to pay for a B&B experience, especially at weekend rates.
"A VERY Expensive Joke of a B & B!"
07/29/14 NightingaleMichigan Michigan
I want to reiterate what "ShoreStops" reviewer has written in that this is NOT a place that we could suggest to anyone! You are paying top dollar for a minimally adequate hotel/suite accommodation. 1 Q bed and 2 very old poorly supportive fold up cots were in the 2 rooms when we arrived. We had been told we would have 3 beds! The bathroom was in poor run-down condition. The 1 window AC unit barely kept the 2 rooms cool enough to have a sound sleep in the very hot humid weather. We could not open windows because the table directly outside our bedroom window was for those who wanted to sit outside and smoke....and therefore the smoke came into our room...whether or not the window was opened or closed...and the chatter of those smoking was annoying when you were trying to sleep. There were 2 doors that gave us entry and exit to our rooms. Neither were operable! We were told by the mgt...."just jiggle the knob and push that little button when you want out....sometimes that help"....!!! And in the event of a fire the resident is to do WHAT? A safety hazard....a fire trap! The breakfast accommodation was a joke. Seating for about 16, but there are approx 3 X that many residents each night and if all seats in the breakfast room were taken you were told to go to the house next door and your breakfast would be delivered.....It was very difficult to know if you would get a "full cooked breakfast"...whoever was the cook had only one speed....slow. The food was good....but after 1 morning of the 45+ min wait for the food, we went elsewhere. Those who had to go "next door" said "our food was cold buy the time it arrived". Overheard while waiting to find out how we could lock our front door at night "Our shower isn't working"....the mgt gave the couple a key to another room so they could get a shower...."But there are people in that room"....mgt said "Oh, they are already out for the day...just use this key and take your showers...no problem". That is the kind of experience you will have if you stay at this B & B. To repeat ShoreStops....Even being a convenient overnight spot....it is not worth the headache....find another place!
"Perfect location, clean and cozy."
07/09/14 Floridia_traveler Eustis, Florida
I stayed here in late June/early July for four nights. Nearly everything was perfect. The staff were helpful. The breakfast was well prepared and ample. The bed was cozy. The room was delightfully cool. There was a nice sized closet and a luggage stand. I know there are some difficulties with making a modern room out of a historic building. That having been said, the bathroom was very tight. My knee bumped against the pipes when I sat down on the stool. But the worst was the tiny shower stall. I am a tallish woman, 5'7", and I could not lean over to pick up the soap when I dropped it because the stall was so small. I had to squat down to retrieve it. There was one very narrow ledge for my toiletries--not adequate for even my soap, let alone shampoo and conditioner. Also, the shower hear sprayed in just two or three tiny jets. I think that the other jets were clogged with lime. If it were my B&B, I would upgrade the shower head and hang a toiletries shelf above somehow so a person could have a place for everything they need. I don't suppose anything can be done about the tiny stall because of the constraints of the old building and its historic place status. Neither of these things would stop my staying here again if I revisit Newport.