All hotels in Newport, Rhode Island, United States of America
2 Sunnyside Pl, Newport, RI, 02840, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Fabulous home in a beautiful neighbourhood"
The service was fabulous, Nick was very welcoming and helpful. Our room was lovely and breakfast was great, something different each day. The hosts knowledge of the area was great it helped us to make the most of our 2 day stay in Newport. I would definitely come back if I was in this part of the world again
1 night trip Oct 21, 2014
Theresa
"Beautiful inn, minutes from town center!"
My fiance and I had a wonderful weekend away at the Architects Inn. The inn itself is beautiful, quiet, and very clean. Our room had a fireplace which made for a romantic feel. Brian and Nick were very gracious hosts. We loved that in less than a 10 minute walk we could quickly get to the restaurants and bars on Broadway. It really is in a fabulous location! We definitely highly recommend this b&b and hope to visit again in the near future!
Other trip May 14, 2014
"Nice B&B"
Nick and Brian made us feel very welcome. We ended up in a room in the basement with a nice fireplace and special shower. They brought breakfast down for us each morning which was s nice touch.
2 night trip Apr 25, 2014
"Just a few blocks away"
Overall our stay was excellent......Nick and Eric were excellent attentive hosts. All the information that Nick gave us about Newport was dead on correct. The restaurants he recommended were perfect for us.....Bravo you guys.
2 night romance trip Apr 25, 2014
melissa
"Just the bed, not breakfast"
Nice room in a good location in a pretty house. But it's not really a B&B as advertised. We presumed that a B&B would have a full breakfast, but were informed that our agent, whatever that means, had indicated we only wanted a continental breakfast. Checking the hotels.com site, there is no clear indication of such a choice. Continental breakfast was a small selection of fruit and some muffins along with coffee, tea, and fruit juices. Disappointing. Also, our room is too cold -- cold yesterday, last night, and this morning. Maybe it will warm up if it gets warmer outside.
3 night trip Apr 17, 2014
"A Merry Christmas"
We spent the holiday at Architects Inn and it was exactly what we were looking for - beautiful, charming, festive, comfortable and the hosts were lovely.
1 night trip Dec 24, 2013
Beautiful house in a beautiful neighborhood. Close walk to the waterfront. They have a great book in everyone's room that talks about restaurants and things to do which we found very helpful Unbelievably good breakfast and treats in the afternoon.
1 night family trip Sep 23, 2013
pam
"Great B&B in the center of town"
This is a great B&B. Breakfast was so good!. Both owners gave a lot of personal attention, helping with picking proper tourist options as well as maps and restaurant recommendations. The location is ideal - you can park your car and don't need to drive and try to find parking at busy tourist sites. The room (single) was small but cute, well maintained and comfortable, and the bathroom was clean and fully functional. Best of all was the feeling of being in someones parlor. Cookies and tea set out at night, lovely ambiance. Highly recommended.
Other trip Sep 21, 2013
schrisa
"GREAT LOCTION, LOTS OF RESTAURANTS, TOP INN"
WE WILL GO BACK ASAP...3 DAYS WAS NOT ENOUGH. NICK AND BRIAN ARE TOP NOTCH!!!!!!
2 night romance trip Oct 15, 2012
"Charming"
We stayed in lovely large rooms on the 2nd floor decorated in period Victorian style. Skip the third floor servants rooms which were small and cramped. Breakfast was Delicious and beautifully presented. The inn was a charming place and peacefully located down a side street. I would try recommend it.
Other trip Oct 12, 2012
Flower arranger

"A review of 2 halves"
This is a review of two halves. Our initial experience was not good - it took two days before we met either of the hotel owners, and felt abandoned in this large house. There were post-its in several public areas, including requests to remove shoes or polish floors. Our room was awful - a very small room at the top of the house with a bathroom not en-suite, as we had thought, but along the corridor and down some steps. However, when we finally met one of the owners we were made to feel welcome, offered complimentary breakfast for 2 days of our week's stay, and upgraded for two days of the stay into a large and lovely room. So our experience is that if you can afford a better class room, then great, but if not it's probably best not to stay here.
Other trip Sep 30, 2014
"Owner did his best"
Had to book in before a certain time which was not mentioned on Hotels.com site.Ended up in a room up a very tall steep flight of stairs. Considering the hotel was empty thought we could of have had a more favourable location. If you are older with big bags check! Room was cold. Again information on Hotels.com site not relayed to hotel informing them we were vegetarians. Owner did his best with short notice.
1 night trip Oct 29, 2013
Richardo

"something really special"
After a tedious and long flight from Munich to Boston, a 2 hour drive from Boston to Newport, and a short search I found the Architects Inn finally. It is not far from the center of Newport but located in a really quiet neighborhood. The location is simply great, it is only 10 min walk to the nearest beach and the same time to the waterfront. Architects Inn is ran by Nick and Brian who care not only for the house and the garden but were absolutely helpful to make my stay as relaxing and pleasant as possible. The rooms are clean and beautifully equipped with old wooden furniture and historic painting on the walls. The breakfast cooked by Brian is simply great. Each day a new surprise and all this arranged with lots of love and taste. I spent many hours on the spacious porch to prepare conference talks in the morning and to relax in the evening. I really recommend the Bed&Breakfast and hope to come back a future day.
Other trip Jun 29, 2013
DE
2 night romance trip Dec 31, 2014

TripAdvisor reviews for Architect's Inn - George Champlin Mason House

"Beware of Inn Keepers"
07/11/15 rickjacobus Boston, Massachusetts
I would think, think and think a whole lot more before choosing this accommodation called Architect's Inn as our room in the basement...rather dungeon was depressing and deranged. There were old pictures all over the room of old men from maybe the 20's perhaps. I would describe Architect's Inn as Sinister like place and our room as A Sinister atmosphere. I would also describe the owners of the Architect's Inn as rude, degrading, angry, toxic and unhelpful. I would never recommend this deep, dark and dirty place. The owner who remains a mystery never showed his face to us. He had the audacity to throw all of our belongings onto the driveway of the Architect's dumpy driveway while we were out trying to enjoy a beautiful dinner in Newport that evening. Apparently he was happy with us politely asking about the room being in the basement opposed to being in the main part of the inn? So that is when he threatened to call police on us? And took all of our belongings and luggage and dumped them on the driveway. He then told us we had negative energy? I guess I'm still wondering why his energy is not negative? Long and the short of it is don't waste time even calling the place. It's a sick joke and there are really wonderful, charming and lovely places to stay all over. Further more really lovely other people who own Inns and properties that deserve the business. Emma from Boston, MA.
"More about the house and less about the guests"
07/03/15 Nemo1921 Alexandria, Virginia
Architect's Inn has a beautifully maintained interior with gorgeous wood floors and painstaking decoration, but the host's heart seems to be for the house and not for the guests. A "no shoes" policy makes sense to maintain the wood floors and area rugs from summer grit and tar, but we didn't see it mentioned anywhere in the literature. We stayed in a room on the second floor which was well-decorated, with a comfortable bed and plenty of pillows. The bathroom was large with a period-piece claw-foot bathtub with plumbing for shower, but there was little water pressure, and the shower head was basic, with a weak stream. There were no grab bars, and with a slippery tub, you are taking your life in your hands. The towels were thin and showed signs of wear. The proprietor offers breakfast at set times, and there is no deviation from the time set if you want breakfast; nor are there choices that the guest may make as to what to eat. The quality of the breakfast was only fair - with overcooked eggs, and small mystery muffins. Each plate was served with whatever the cook chooses to serve. No one was offered more than was on the plate, nor were additional fruit or cereal, bread or alternative baked goods offered. The lasting impression Architect's Inn leaves is that the proprietor cares more about the house than about the guests. In view of the midlevel quality of the linens and facilities in the bathroom, the indifference of the proprietor to the guests, and the indifferent quality of the breakfast, the Inn is considerably over-priced.
"not enough time"
06/28/15 Louise R Glen Mills, Pennsylvania, United States
My husband and I went t Newport for our first wedding anniversary. We arrived on6/16/15 and left on 6/18/15 (hence my title...not enough time). Architect's Inn is a wonderful place to stay. The first thing I noticed was how beautifully it is furnished and, at the same time, I noticed how extremely clean it is. We stayed in the Lafarge room which is lovely. The location is perfect. We had 2 wonderful breakfasts ....I can't say enough good things. Brian and Nick do a wonderful job. I am so happy that there are places like the Architect's Inn for us to enjoy. It is obvious that it is a lot of hard work but it is appreciated ! ! !
"Gorgeous mansion for a wonderful stay"
06/26/15 Anh N
There is so much history and charm in this marvelous mansion. We stayed for one night in the LaFarge Room, and were very pleased with room amenities and services. The booklet in the room is written by Nick and Brian, whose writing style is both informative and quirky - you will learn a lot about the mansion and the town. I enjoyed reading it and, at times, found myself laughing hysterically at some of their restaurant reviews. Though busy, Nick made himself available to answer my many questions and was generous with his recommendations on things to do and places to go. Because we made reservations through online booking sites, breakfast was not included, unfortunately; however, there were always cookies and muffins available in the dining room, as well as coffee and tea.
"Outstanding mystery weekend"
03/23/15 KatherineGow Toronto, Canada
My daughter (16) and i spent the weekend here and had an outstanding time as part of a mystery murder package. The story line was complex and customized to each of the couple's personal tastes, enabling discovery of some out of the way Newport finds. The house was truly grand (we adored the redwood room, complete wIth working fireplace and claw foot tub! !). Special thanks to the actors and especially Patrick (it must have been a terrible amount of work ... we all LOVED it). Nick and Brian were gracious and generous hosts. We can't wait to visit again.
"A Wonderful Long Weekend!"
11/17/14 Enes C Douglaston, New York
My husband and I just spent a wonderful long weekend at the Architect's Inn in Newport. Our room was delightful and our host Brian couldn't do enough to make us feel welcomed and comfortable.. Since the Inn wasn't completely full Brian was able to join us for breakfast and tell us about the house, the town and the must do's ..incidentally breakfast was always scrumptious and the coffee was possibly the best I have ever had, and from a pot that never emptied! What a great way to start each day!! Having been to Newport over the summer we realized that off season would be a much better time for relaxing, sightseeing, shopping and dining...and we were correct - everyone was gracious and although the Inn is close enough to walk to town, when we wanted to drive we always found plenty of parking spaces, including at the Mansions! There was so much history and charm at the Inn and in the town that we plan on coming back early in 2015.
"Serendipitous!"
10/14/14 Cindy J Jacksonville, Florida, United States
My cousin and I typically take a cruise each year and this year, the cruise lines cancelled our trip the day before we were to depart! Since we already had tix to Boston, we decided to go anyway and visit Newport, RI, somewhere neither of us had ever been. It was serendipitous! For four days, we were pampered at the Architect's Inn by Nick and Brian, two of the finest proprietors for which one could ask. Each morning, we were served breakfast, cooked by Nick, which consisted of top quality fruits, homemade breads/biscuits, all organic and delicious. Coffee, tea, anything you desired was there for you. The sleeping accommodations were very comfortable. In our suite (the Perry Suite), there were two separate rooms, one with a queen bed and a fireplace and one with a twin bed. There was a nicely furnished bathroom with a very good shower. The location of the AI is a very quiet place. No street noise at all and I never heard any of the other guests. Another important item, it was VERY CLEAN. Perhaps the best part of the Architects Inn was conversing and getting to know the guests and the proprietors. Nick and Brian are perfect hosts. They will only join you at the table if you ask them to and I wanted them to every day! They are very knowledgeable about the island and the history and pointed us in all the right directions for eating and touring. Well, I could go on and on but you get the drift. It was a splendid four days and we intend to return again one day, hopefully sooner than later. And we will be staying at the Architect's Inn. Thank you!
"Pleasant enough, but missing that magic ingredient"
09/13/14 MIssDillie Oxfordshire
This is a B&B of many contradictions. The house is marvellous, especially if you like that cluttered late 19th century style, and clean as a whistle. The guys keep it beautifully and are obviously very proud of it. Our room was extremely comfortable, the bed and bedding was of excellent quality and the situation of the house is central and extremely convenient. But it's all a bit precious and so we never relaxed. First, you have to phone them to let you in as they don't answer the doorbell. This is not only eccentric, it's annoying as we had to phone via England on our cell phone so it was costly. We raised this with Nick who pointed out that he doesn't have the doorbell ring in all parts of the house because it disturbs guests - fair point - so I suggested he installs a flashing light. He took the suggestion well and who knows, soon you may be able to enter in a more conventional style! As you enter, you are told to take off your shoes to protect the floor. No shoes allowed. Okay, but it was an unexpected command and delivered in a slightly peremptory style. We were tired when we arrived, and said we'd like to take a G&T to our rooms while we freshened up. Well, we got a ten-minute dissertation on the draconian licensing laws of Newport and how they weren't licensed to sell alcohol. (Funnily enough, when we read their comprehensive guide in our rooms later, they said they served sherry - but no mention of sherry was made when we were actually talking to Nick, our host.) Guys, there are ways around this. An honesty tray in the living room and a 'tip bucket'? A complimentary bottle/glass of wine on arrival? It wouldn't cost much, and it would oil the wheels in a big way. As it is, it just made us feel rather tetchy and disappointed. Then His Lordship had to re-park the car making sure the car was EXACTLY opposite the reflective post… but we were the only ones staying… Breakfast is stylish and marvellously pretty - our cooked plate arrived decorated with flowers from the garden. However, there is no choice - you get what you get and if you don't like it, tough! On the first day, we had something called Festive Eggs and I had to send them back to be cooked again as I hate soft eggs. They came with fried sweet potatoes which I didn't like, but I didn't want to make a fuss again. On the second day we had French toast which I love, but it was covered in icing sugar - not to my savoury British taste - I'm a Marmite girl! But I didn't have the heart to send it back again. Their home baking is excellent - we were allotted three buns between the two of us - and the coffee was delicious. So again, it's a case of some things wonderful, some things not to our taste at all, but you get no choice. Lastly, in the bedroom is a long and thoroughly over-comprehensive guide to the house, the history, the house rules, and the personal aims and ambitions of Brian and Nick. In it is fairly naked plea for a tip - now we might have misread this, but we both thought this was a BIG hint for us to tip them. When I paid up at the end, Nick asked me if I'd like to leave a tip. I said I'd already tipped Denis, the Byelorussian guy who was there for the summer. Nick asked again if I'd like to leave a tip on the card. I repeated that we'd already tipped Denis. It seemed to me that we were being asked to leave a tip for the owners. It was an uncomfortable moment. Surely the price (an eye watering $699 incl taxes for two people for two nights) is enough? Both Nick and Brian seem like nice guys, and Nick was very informative and helpful in suggesting things to do in the area. It's so nearly a great place. I wish them well, but I also wish they'd relax. I've read some of Nick's long and defensive replies here - and his room guide includes a heartfelt plea to only leave good reviews on websites such as TripAdvisor, and to shut up if we haven't enjoyed the place. But that's missing the point of TripAdvisor. Seasoned users can spot reviews that are deliberately mean; responsible contributors review in order to advise and recommend honestly and fairly. Yes, it was only two days out of our life, but I'm certain we would have enjoyed ourselves better and felt less tense elsewhere.
"Brad"
08/29/14 Denis S
We stayed here with my friends for weekend and it was the most amazing weekend in this summer! House is so beautiful,our rooms were perfectly clean and cool. I don't want to be boring and repeat it after all reviews here but their breakfast was unbelievable great! They had very nice back yard with hammocks which is was my favorite place to relax) I'm bad story teller, but it's just fabulous place! Will be back definitely!
"Charming, comfortable and convenient"
08/02/14 Kate X
This is a gorgeous grand old home walking distance to downtown Newport restaraunts. Don't let the fastidious fact that you are asked to remove your shoes upon entering deter you, Nick is personable and makes you feel at right at home. He has a sweet sense of humor and is a wonderful host. Co-owner Brian - the quieter of the two- makes breakfast every day which is delicious and a work of art- each plate adorned with local flowers and greens. Their hospitality is welcoming and makes you feel very much at home.