All hotels in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada
3020 Douglas St, Victoria, BC, V8T 4N4, Canada, ‏‎800-491-6126

2.9

"needs updating"
Suggestion for the hotel. I has a very convenient location, but the rugs, sheets, bed covers, and drapes, all need to be replaced. It must have at one time been a smoking hotel, and the smell permiates the hotel. It was not a cheap rate we paid, so I expected more. They need to update, for sure.
Other trip Oct 20, 2013
Bernie
"Not a good choice"
I spent one night with my family and although the hotel is in a good location, close to downtown, I will not come back to this hotel, dirty room, old furniture, dirty bathroom in bad condition, noisy air conditioning. One of the worst hotels I have ever gone.
Response by Tally Ho Hotel
Hi JJM, I apologize for your poor experience at our hotel. The hotel is under new ownership (hence the rebranding from Vacation Inn to Tally Ho). We completed exterior renovations during the late summer/fall and on April 7th we have embarked on updating the bathrooms. We have also replaced a number of older airconditioning/heating units. These repairs should be complete by June 30th. Further changes and upgrades to the rooms are planned for the fall. We will remain a budget hotel with excellent nightly rates. We hope you will provide us with another opportunity to serve you. Mark, General Manager
1 night trip Oct 12, 2013
JJM
"easy location, on the highway near the action"
I was down in Victoria for the marathon over thanksgiving weekend, brought my wife and two kids, (one infant and one toddler. The room was big, clean and comfy. The restaurant downstairs was decent. The location was great to get to the race from and return to. The staff were super accommodating in that if I was late back from my run we were still able to check out late. My wife liked the fact we were a block away from the Mayfair shopping complex.
Other trip Oct 14, 2013
"Adequate accommodation."
Overall, staff were very friendly and obliging. That being said, "Beautiful Junior Room" as advertised on exterior sign, is not. This room is, however, oddly shaped; with stained lampshades and oversize CRT T.V. dominating space; without closet/drawer/suitcase stand; and very noisy. Mechanical sounds do not emanate from traffic or construction at street level as one might expect, but from somewhere within the walls. Bathroom appears to have been recently renovated. As I arrived very late at night, I was grateful to staff who moved me immediately to another room, and also that I was not charged upgrade costs upon checkout. Note: there is not an elevator in this hotel. Also, on site restaurant does not stay open for Sunday dinner but there are several family-style restaurants within close walking distance.
Other trip Oct 8, 2013
K.
"Comfortable but dated"
I recently stayed here for a long weekend while I helped my son get ready for University. The hotel is definitely not a "five star" and the rooms are dated (old TVs etc. ) That being said, the king size beds were comfortable and the room was clean. We were on the ground level which opened to the pool area. There is a water slide which the younger kids were enjoying. No hot tub though. Parking was a bit limited unless you went around the hotel, which required a bit of a walk.
Other trip Sep 4, 2013
Shaun
"Terrible."
The front desk people were very helpful and obliging. It is very dirty and the rooms are very crowded. I wouldn't go back there.
1 night trip Aug 23, 2013
Kris
"Nice hotel - close to Mayfair shopping center."
I was pleasantly suprised by this hotel. The staff was great! Very helpful. The restaurant was 5 star! I had a great dinner and breakfast!!!!!!!!!
Other trip Aug 25, 2013
norita
"had a Good stay"
This Hotel was great for the most part.. Super fun pool with Water slide, Great little diner and a pub we didnt have time to check out. Me and my Pregnant wife stumbled upon this place just as a quick stay overnight and when we got their the man at front desk upgraded us because he did not want me and my pregnant wife to have a small room thought it was thoughtful...Night staff was not as nice though....more or less seemed they just didnt want to be their nor answer to any of our needs..... but either that it was great!
Other trip Aug 23, 2013
"A Short Distance from Downtown"
Staff were pleasant, and room was clean and well equipped. Stayed in Room 339 for one night, and had to relocate to another room (348). There was a circulation pump or ventilation unit operating in the vicinity of Room 339, causing a constant pronounced humming noise emanating from the ceiling area. The sound could be heard in the east end of the 3rd floor hallway in the vicinity of the room, as well as inside Room 339. At night, when the building was quiet, the sound was very irritating, and interrupted my sleep (I normally am not bothered by some ambient noise at night). After paying an upcharge of $20+, I relocated to Room 348, which was larger in size and more quiet.
Other trip Aug 22, 2013
"ok"
the room was adequate. The bathroom was disappointing as it was moldy and not clean The beds were great and so was the pool for the kids
Other trip Aug 22, 2013
terri
"suprised"
Great value for money. Great location and a fun waterslide. I was pleased and also noticed they are updating the outside which looks nice. I would stay there agin. The rooms do need flat screens and need to get rid of the huge TV cabinets, this would make for a lot more space in the room.
Other trip Aug 20, 2013
"Convenient but..."
The vacation Inn was a decent place to spend a night. The double king beds were nice but they made the already cramped rooms too tight. The fittings are all outdated and marginally functional (toilets didn't reset, just ran all the time). The hallways were cramped as well, at least the basement were my room was. The staff were always pleasant and helpful.
1 night family trip Aug 11, 2013
"Average hotel"
No elevator as it is only 2 storey hotel. Got room in the upper floor only. Cleanliness of the room is just ok.
Other trip Aug 5, 2013
"An OK stay."
Close to downtown Victoria, and the pool was a hit with the kids. Rooms and hotel do need a bit of modernizing and upkeep.
Other trip Jul 27, 2013
Hunter
"cheap-it's a bed"
it was a bed. not much else to say
1 night trip with friends Jul 20, 2013
"Great for kids"
Great place to take the kids. Older hotel well maintained. Very friendly staff. Restaurant convenient and provides excellent breakfast. Check in went very well check out had some delays in getting the bills from the restaurant.
Other trip Jul 25, 2013
"Adequate"
With 2 teenage daughters, having the room with 2 king beds was nice. Facilities were adequate - I mean, we're not there to spend time in the room. The girls (and dad) enjoyed the pool & waterslide and there's plenty of deck space around it with seats for sunning or supervising kids. Not within reasonable walking distance to Victoria's inner harbour (drive or take bus), but it is across from a major mall and there are places to eat in the area.
1 night family trip Jul 20, 2013
Definitely would not recommend this hotel. Only good aspect was the waterslide for the kids that we had to figure out how to turn on ourselves after rather rude male at front desk neglected to do so after being requested to. He was also rude and demeaning to female staff working there. Bathroom was not clean. also very noisy
2 night trip Jul 12, 2013
"close to all business"
It was a pleasant stay at this hotel. My room was very clean. I felt very comfortable and relaxed. Only thing that bothered me was the traffic noise. It woke me up early in the morning. Overall I was very satisfied.
1 night business trip Jul 10, 2013
"Disgustingly filthy"
Would never stay again. Walked in it smelled of BO and filth. Hauled suitcases up the long stairway.Outdated and needs a though cleaning w/ bleach. Not maintained very well. Tv didnt worked, oversized furniture took up the room. The room/ furniture needs cleaning.
1 night family trip Jul 2, 2013
"vacation inn ok stay could use improvement"
the room was clean, my room was near the reception desk so a little noisy, i wasn't too happy about the tub taps they were hard to turn off when running the bath water. the TV only had 1 channel. and the cleaning maid didn't wait til i checked out she banged on the door at 10:15am when you have til 11am to check out. staff was friendly at least.
Other trip Jun 13, 2013
jack frost
"book this hotel!"
I travelled to victoria alone and had never been there before. I took the shuttle from the airport directly to this hotel. The front desk and manager were fantastic. Housekeeping staff not so much. Room a little dated but the hotel location and price of room made up for the other two defiencies. Hotel is only steps from bus stops that take you everywhere you need to go. To the harbour and to royal roads and victoria universities, the castles and major attractions are all easily accessible by bc transit bus. I had a very good time riding the bus evrywhere and found it much more enjoyable than taxi. And only 3$ per one way. Also there is a well stockrd mall only steps away from hotel, organic markets, every sort of shop and store you could wish for are also right there. The location and price and accessibility to other venues cannot be beat even by the $300/night hotels. I loved it!
Other trip Jun 12, 2013
hellain
"okay good restaurant"
The room was okay, strange layout with the bathroom door blocking the entrance to the room when opened. The restaurant had very good breakfasts for a good price, very nice staff.
Other trip Jun 8, 2013
"Even if you want to Suicide, don't book this one"
This hotel is run by Pirates, they will charge you money for a 5 star room and the service is so poor that you don't want to book it even if you want to suicide and all the cost are hidden they will charge you a fee called services fee after you paid to expedia and they will charge you money because there are 2 adults in the room and they will say room is just for one person for your wife you have to pay extra. I went for a vacation and stayed in other motels for half the price what i paid here and still this one turned out to the worst one as the bathroom door was not working, beds were dirty and I can go on and on it's better to go for a little bit more expensive hotel as you will end up paying the same here
Other trip Jun 8, 2013
Sid
"Close to downtown"
Rom rate misleading, booked room for two persons yet there was an additional charge for second person.
3 night trip Jun 1, 2013
"only if desperate"
horrible. 2 hours late getting into room as it had been 'busy', which one would think they knew about in advance to prepare, but ok .... nowhere to go along 4 lane highway, mattress shops, defunct motels etc, except at least a health food store and a Denny's. after a long day of travel I drew the line and went to the hotel lounge which was depressing and low rent. but all the people were nice and kind. no discount for checkin problems. also not for the fact that i was up all night due to some repetitive clunking/banging sound that the guy at the front desk could not track down at midnight, 2 am, 3 a.m. or 5 a.m. gaahhhh.
1 night business trip Jun 3, 2013
"Updates needed"
Needs updating. And over priced for what they offered Nice to have small fridge and micro in room And handicap parking would be good
Other trip Jun 3, 2013
"Good Value on a budget!"
I stayed in this property as my usual go to was sold out. It was clean, staff was polite and the room was suffice. Location was great and it had a restaurant which I heard was good but did not get a chance to check out. My only advice is to be cutious of a 'resort' fee of $12 which seem bogus. I don't mind paying what I need to pay but do not enjoy being nickled and dimed. Just put it in the rate. Otherwise the stay was great.
1 night business trip May 25, 2013
"beware of good deals"
We didn't end up staying at this hotel, when we got there, the hotel looked run down, it was stuffy, hot and smelled terrible. The room was about 10 feet wide, and 15 feet long, with just enough room to get beside the double bed shoved into the corner. The bathroom as also tiny, with a bathtub about four feet long. When we decided to find somewhere cleaner and safer to stay, the clerk did not seem surprised. I would stick to hotels that you know are safe and reputable - avoid ones like this.
1 night business trip May 26, 2013
"cheap, until checkout"
hotel bed was clean but furniture was worn out and threadbare all the lights appliances and tv were plugged into a single wall socket via a 8 socket power bar, and all the cables were tangled into big rats nest, and the bedside lamp plug was pressed up against o the box spring at the head of the bed such that shifting your weight in bed cause the light to flicker. the hotel charges fees at checkout not covered by the Expedia price, that puts it in the price range of much nicer hotels.
Other trip May 29, 2013
Spencer

"hotel pratique famille nombreuse"
Lits tres larges, proprete moyenne, piscine dans un environnement tres bruyant. Cet hotel situé à 2.5 km du centre est assez pratique pour une famille nombreuse
1 night family trip Aug 14, 2013
1 night family trip Jun 10, 2013
MHM
4 night business trip Jun 3, 2013

TripAdvisor reviews for Tally Ho Hotel

"Close enough to downtown for business"
08/24/15 Shibert Courtenay, Canada
This hotel is located close to Mayfair mall. It's a couple of km out of the downtown. The savings are worth it. With the increase in downtown tourism, hotel prices have shot up. The Tally Ho is still a reasonable deal. They have a pool with water slide so bring your suit. Great restaurant!
"Old Crapy Hotel with Amazing Pool - Staff not so Helpful"
07/10/15 Sylvie P Victoria, Canada
Stayed for two nights with my husband and my daughters. - Extremely bad and strong smell (honestly smelling like excrements). The employee and the manager at the front desk could not smell it (I still believe it was denial on their side). My 4 year-old kept saying she wanted to get out of the smelly room but the hotel was full. - The toilet could not flush and the maintenance guy was gone, so we were proposed to go down two floors below to do our monkey business. I was told it would be fixed in the morning. - In the morning, I told my story to a manger and how this room should not be rented to anyone as it is not respectful to let people sleep in there (some animal have for sure better environment). The manager never acknowledged the bad smell and she made me feel like I was the picky one. She said she did not smell anything and that it was a low flush toilet anyway (you could not flush pee). They for sure did not care for their customers. After travelling for one month, it was the worse experience (actually in over 15 years of hotel stays). Customer should never be treated that way. - The manager offered to relocate us to another room since there was a no-show. No help to relocate was offered (they have no elevators and I have two toddlers, my husband was working). After insisting three times, they finally had a woman from housekeeping to help me out carry a few things. Usually, even small hotels help you out a bit. She was clearly annoyed. They should have never rented that smelly room to anyone in the first place! - Once relocated on the pool floor, the room was better there, i.e. old but not smelly. We slept fine. - Gigantic old TV and cumbersome furniture. Hotel needs to be renovated in many ways. The key to enter the room from the pool was broken. When I told the manager, she knew about it and said nothing can be done as they are all like that. I think owners are trying to keep making money on customers, without wanting to be good hosts. - No elevators + Amazing nice well maintained pool with fast waterslide + Two king beds in rooms (usually difficult to find) + Restaurant was fine and service very good (had 3 meals there) and we enjoyed their soup. No ambiance and very cafeteria like. Would not return to this hotel. Would not recommend it.
"Rocking Crowd"
05/04/15 billinnisfil Innisfil, Canada
We stopped at the Tally-Ho for drinks with a group. There was a band playing and the place was rocking. We are seniors and the music was 60's so it was right down our alley. Service was good and the drinks reasonably priced Had a great time. We even got to dance which in bars today is a virtual impossibility
"TALLY-HO VICTORIA"
03/27/15 GolfPro121166 Coquitlam, Canada
Stayed one night for a family reunion. Accommodations are adequate. Bathroom was newly renovated. Hallways, walls and corners with many paint chips. Looks like maintenance isn't a priority. Breakfast was better than expect. Great coffee!
"Solid hotel for the money"
02/17/15 gudone Vancouver, Canada
We stayed here for two nights while visiting relatives. The restaurant was good for breakfast and close to all we needed. The staff were friendly and the room was fine, even though it was somewhat dated with old school TV. We would stay here again.
"Better than the Sharkclub bar and grill"
12/18/14 John D Victoria, Canada
I was there for the Victoria Labour Council mingler. The bar was very loud and busy for a Wed night. Service was good, food was good-beer too many of the lousy national brands-just 3 locals on tap. Had 2 flavours of chicken wings, dry garlic ribs, gyoza dumplings, pizza bites and veggie dip.The bar is very dark-lots of tvs showing all diferrent games-I'm not a sports fan-it all just puts me off, but there was no volume on all tvs-good because everyone was talking in the bar.I did pass through a room with wall to wall floor to cieling tvs dedicated to horseracing-again a real turn off to a nonsports/gambling-even a bit creepy.At least you won't be ignored if you're not wearing a rainbow wig, sports jersey and war paint like Shark Club, but it's nowhere near close to my favourite bars-Strathcona, Moon-Under-Water and Monkey Tree Pub.
"extremely satisfied!"
12/09/14 kittyforman77 Vancouver, Canada
My husband and i travelled to Victoria to adopt a dog so we needed a dog friendly hotel. Both of our hockey teams were playing each other that saturday so we also wanted a great sports pub. We found both at the Tally Ho. Upon arrival we found something we were dissatisfied about in our room, the staff immediately gave us a new room, a bigger room even with 2 king beds and we very apologetic and accomodating. Beds were quite comfotable and room was clean. We had breakfast at the restaurant, the food and the service was amazing! The pub had great food as well. When we went into the pub Saturday to watch the hockey game we found out that UFC was on and the hockey game would be limited to a few small tv's and no sound. We asked to talk to the manager and explained part of the reason we stayed at this hotel was for the sports pub to watch the game. She gave us a whole section off to the side with its own sound system so all the hockey fans could still watch the game. Amazing experience!! i would definately stay there again. Great staff, everyone was so friendly.
"Good value motel"
10/10/14 cguertin Fort Worth, TX
Victoria is an expensive city, and a hard city to find reasonable accommodation in the downtown. Tally Ho Hotel (formerly the Vacation Inn Hotel and Convention Center) is great value. It's clean and quiet. There's nothing fancy here, but it's reasonable, on the bus routes, and an easy walking distance from the core. They have a business center in the front lounge and take pets. There's a great coffee shop across the street. I'd stay there again without hesitation.
"No room at the Inn!"
09/30/14 Jennifer C Ringwood, United Kingdom
Our first night in Victoria BC at the peak holiday week no decent hotel could be found. By sheer chance we walked along Douglas Street and saw the 'Tally Ho'. We rather anticipated the same reply that we had received at other hotels where we had sought accommodation. We were fortunate to meet a superb manager, Richard Sung. He went out of his way to find us a room, which was not convenient for my wife's handicap, and he promised to find another room the next day at ground level, which he did. So good was the hotel and its management team we decided to stay for three weeks in all. The accommodation at the hotel was as good as any we had seen in recent years. The rooms were large and well-kept - and very clean. The staff went out of their way to make sure we were comfortable, at times the manager, Richard, even came out to park my car when I was having difficulties. My wife and I were involved in getting facts together for an application for a permanent residency card in Canada. This involved putting together lots of facts and then having to add to these and alter them. Richard and his team did so much to ease our problem and gave us regular assistance with computers, faxes etc. It was a daily rush to get all the facts together and send to Toronto. Not once did Richard or his staff show any annoyance with this elderly, non-computer savvy couple. There were times when we seemed to take over the ground floor of the hotel sorting out our correspondence. In addition we would wake early some mornings due to jet-lag and Richard went out of his way to lend us a portable TV that my husband could watch in the early hours of the morning without having to put on the main TV which would have woken me. I could go on and list the numerous kindnesses that were above and beyond a normal hotel in the area. We will certainly return and we advise anyone who wants a good quality, friendly hotel, close to Victoria centre to give them a try - you will not be disappointed. Well done Tally Ho!
"Motel Accommodation"
08/23/14 703Ginny Ottawa, Canada
Landed in Victoria high season without a reservation. We researched expedia.ca and found this Motel. Located within 1.9 km of downtown Victoria. It was clean, spacious, great service and restaurant. There is also an outdoor swimming pool. We paid 109.00 which was amazing in high season. Would definitely return. Thanks to the staff for there prompt service to any request. A Satisfied Guest