All hotels in Newport, Rhode Island, United States of America
You can collect Hotels.com® Rewards nights here405 Thames St, Newport, RI, 02840, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

4.9
First room had a leak in the ceiling. Moved to a second room where the heat did not work properly.
Other trip Feb 26, 2015
"Good location, Aging Facility"
The hotel is in the heart of Newport's tourist district which made it easy to walk to restaurants, shops, and tourist sites such as the mansions. The staff was very nice, and overall the rooms were clean and comfortable. Off our balconies (we had both a front and rear balcony) you could see the boats docked at the marinas, including a couple that were probably larger than the building we were staying in. The issue is that the hotel is showing its age, not a cleanliness issue but an age issue. For example, the silver backing on the mirror in our bathroom was receding, the formica countertops were lifting at the seams, the unit door did not shut tightly so that when the other unit on the floor would open/close their door our door would rattle, and the jacuzzi bathtub showed signs of staining.
Other trip Sep 25, 2014
Ted
"Great 4th of July"
Few if any other hotels in Newport have both an indoor and outdoor pool, which is why this one was great. Rooms were spacious, clean and had a great view. Great location, central to everything, but pretty limited parking. We asked for extra blankets and the housekeeping just dropped them off at the front door rather than knocking and giving them to us. We just thought they had forgotten and not delivered until we found them the next morning. We werent able to check into the hotel until 2 hours after check in time bc the room wasnt ready yet. Overall, a good place to stay, esp for larger groups.
2 night trip with friends Jul 4, 2014
"Girls weekend"
Hotel was fabulous. 2 bedroom condo with a working fireplace, huge fireplace, 2 decks. We loved it.
2 night trip Mar 21, 2014
CQ
"Perfect location"
The only reason for a "4" rating for comfort of room is that the living room sofa and chairs are not comfortable. Everything else was quite nice.
2 night family trip Mar 20, 2014
"Weekend Getaway"
First time ever up in Newport and the hotel was perfect for my wife and I. Plenty of room in the suite for us for the weekend. Water pressure and temperature were excellent. Located just shy of the busiest part of Newport which made it very easy for restaurants and shopping. Only con was the promised free Wi-Fi in the room. The Wi-Fi just didn't work. But overall, we'd definitely go back.
2 night romance trip Nov 9, 2013
Robby K
"Disappointing experience"
Requested and later confirmed by phone that two bedroom suite overlooked harbor, as location was very important. Was given rooms overlooking parking lot and street and could not even see harbor behind other buildings. Midweek, resort seemed almost empty but we were told they could not change assigned suite. Invoice provided by resort on departure indicated I paid Expedia almost 40% more for two night stay than resort would have charged. I do not understand this. A very disappointing experience both with Expedia and the resort.
Other trip Oct 8, 2013
Nora
"Comfortable and centrally located"
I was a little nervous since I had seen some less favorable reviews on other sites. I was pleased that it was a perfect 2 bedroom setup for a girls getaway for three. The unit had all the conveniences and was near everything within easy walking distance.
2 night trip with friends Sep 27, 2013
great room in great location! Within walking distance to shops & restaurants. Two balconies - each overlooking the bay. Will go back for sure!
3 night romance trip Sep 19, 2013
"Great location for the Newport Boat Show!"
Hotel Hits: the location can't be beat if you want easy access to Newport harbor (docks, wharves, shops). The hotel was clean and stocked with all the necessities (including laundry detergent). The staff accommodated all our requests with a smile. The view of the harbor from our room was lovely. Hotel Misses: the ground floor entrance area to our building was damp and smelly due to the high level of humidity. This is probably a normal condition for Newport so I suggest they come up with some way to dry the carpeting (or remove it) so it doesn't smell so badly. This is the only thing I could find fault with during our stay. This place was a hidden gem in Newport and we will definitely be back!
5 night business trip Sep 10, 2013
"Beware.....read the fine print"
Beware....this is not a hotel it is a timeshare property. Therefore do not expect daily maid service! Which is fine, if it is mentioned up front at the time of booking or even at check-in. Also, check out is 10am NOT 11am, like most hotels or B&Bs in the area. This is something that should also be mentioned when you check in by the front desk staff, but was not. Those are my only two gripes with this property. Otherwise, the rooms are GIGANTIC (I booked a 2bd room). There was a kitchen, dinning area, living room with fireplace and 2 decks! Location is great, right on Thames near restaurants, bars, and coffee shops.
2 night trip Sep 13, 2013
"Great facility!"
I am normally not comfortable staying in hotels, but this was an exception! Very clean and comfortable rooms. Fully equipped kitchen. Great views from every window. Would definitely stay here again!
Other trip May 20, 2013
"great view. great location. great stay."
We stayed here for a bachelorette party and the room was perfect for a group of 10. There was plenty of room and all of the amenities that we needed. It was great to have 3 full baths with this being a group of girls. The view was beautiful and the location was perfect. We were able to walk to dinner and out for cocktails.
1 night trip Oct 20, 2012
slt
"Very roomy and comfortable"
There were 4 in our party and everyone was pleased with the suite and the amenities. Very close to everything you want to see and do in Newport.
2 night family trip Oct 19, 2012
"Tear It Down and Start Over"
Dirty carpet, noisy elevator, broken screens and dingy lighting characterize this well located dump. The staff was friendly but so what...it's a dump!
Other trip Jul 17, 2012
JDK
"Great Girls Getaway....!:)"
This was a wonderful Hotel and I would definitely stay again...It was big, roomy, comfortable beds, close to everything (walking), awesome view off the balcony and had a full kitchen!!!! What more could you ask for!!!! If I had to complain at all about anything it would have to be the pillows on the bed...they are small...so maybe two per person or bigger pillows would fix the problem!!!! Had a great time..... This was a weekend with my daughters and sisters...it was wonderful...:)!
Other trip Jun 12, 2012
Joyce
2 night business trip Dec 6, 2013
Lynn
Other trip Nov 12, 2013
2 night trip Sep 7, 2012
3 night trip with friends Aug 17, 2012

TripAdvisor reviews for Wyndham Newport Onshore

"Perfect Place for a Getaway for families or couples resonable price"
05/21/15 brando16a hartford CT
Just came home from a 4 night stay at the Wyndham Long Wharf. The hotel is perfect, right on Thames street about a 5-10 minute walk to the center of town. We originally booked a 2 bedroom united (we are renters) and we got upgraded to a 3 bedroom unit overlooking the pier. Along with the upgrade, our room was ready upon arrival which turned a travel day into a relaxing added day. On check in, the front desk clerk was very accommodating. We were told at check in that the resort was going through renovations due to massive water leaks in the winter. We were told that we are unable to park in our usual spot which is directly below the unit. We were moved to a spot near the check in house, and that was a bit of a walk to our unit to lug all of the luggage. When we got into the room, everything was perfect. There is a full kitchen massive living room a bathroom down stairs and two balconies. Upstairs there are 2 bedrooms, 2 bathrooms a balcony and a jacuzzi tub oh did i forget to mention there is also a washer and dryer in the room. It is a true condo resort. With that being said, there are some things to take note if you are staying at this hotel. 1) there is no front desk between the hours of 5PM and 9AM. If you call and need something ie. more towels more pillows, when you dial the front desk, their sister property...the Wyndham Inn on Thames will pick up. We waited about 30 minutes to get coffee filters because the maid forgot to put them in the room. Not a big deal, but don't expect fast service if you are calling between those hours. 2) the furniture is all chipped and the inside needs a good paint job. The furniture is in really bad shape. There are dings, dents, chips etc. all over the place. In one of the bedrooms the dresser was unable to open and there was a handle missing from the bureau. 3) the construction that is taking place is a disaster. As stated previously, you are unable to park in the normal spots, so they moved everyone all over the place. It is a nightmare to try and get out of the hotel seeing it is a one way road. With that, when walking to your unit if you are staying in Westwind, they have the whole parking roof removed and there are wires dangling and pieces from the roof and insulation hanging. There were several times loose insulation hit me in the face and i stepped on screws. Also, you could hear the workers banging and drilling all day. Not that you should be in your room, because you are in beautiful Newport, but just something to plan for. 4) You are not allowed to use the fireplace. I was very upset with this seeing i called beforehand and made sure that we could use it so i brought my own logs and prepared for it. I was told by the front desk agent that they were cited by the town because something happened. While that might be the case, they should put a sign up on the fireplace to say do not use. It was a good thing i called and checked the night we were going to use it, if not who knows what could have happened. 5) I think the last thing is the cleanliness. I say this as an improvement that the hotel can work on. Our downstairs bathroom was a disaster. The toiled was not cleaned and the bathtub had stains on it. With that the rugs had rocks and dirt all over them. I truly think that these things were missed. There is a sweeper in the room so I just did some extra sweeping but as for the bathroom, i just sanitized a towel and cleaned it by hand. Like i said, this is something that the resort can improve on. I am sure if i would have called, they would have sent someone up to re-clean. 6) Don't expect to use the fitness center or indoor pool. The fitness center has 3 machines, no weights and the equipment is old and it is in a very small room. The indoor pool tiles were brown and needed a good cleaning. As a note: if you are looking to eat or travel to any attraction, stop by the hotel front desk and let them know what you are interested in. Most of the places have coupons or discounts. We traveled to the Newport Vineyards and by staying at the hotel, we were offered a free bottle of wine. Overall, great hotel...would stay again when there is no construction.
"Perfect Location and Nice Condo"
05/14/15 WeeWoodstock Richmond, Virginia
We recently stayed for 5 nights in a 2 bedroom waterfront unit and loved it! The unit was very clean. The cabinetry was chipped and scuffed in a few places, but this was not important to us. One bedroom has a king bed with an attached bathroom with a jacuzzi tub, the other had 2 twin beds and an attached bath that had a 2nd door that also opened to the hall. We had 2 lovely balconies that overlooked the water, one on either side of the condo so we always had shade on one and sun on the other...PERFECT! The kitchen is small, but workable and well stocked. The location is incredible! Just off Thames St, one can easily walk to many restaurants. We also easily walked to the mansions, the Cliff Walk, and the Tennis Hall of Fame, though some may consider those a bit far. There is a grocery store 3 blocks away, next to the Tennis Hall of Fame. The resort has free wifi, but the service was exceedingly slow even though the resort was not very full at the time. We definitely plan to return to this location. My companion had stayed at the Wyndham Long Wharf in Newport a couple years ago and definitely prefers this resort. The staff was friendly and helpful.
"tarnished silver"
05/14/15 MarylandTwig Maryland
First, I will say what is nice about this place. It is in the heart of downtown Newport. The harbor view from the unit is beautiful. The unit is clean. There were no sales pitches to buy there. It is quiet. The older maintenance guy is a gem-- very helpful and always pleasant. Now for why I would never stay here again or recommend it to my friends or family. The unit where they assigned me had no parking because they are working on the garage. (I never heard or saw anyone working on the garage the whole week that I was there.) So I had to park near check-in and walk to my unit. It was only about an 1/8 of a mile but it was very dark walking to my unit at night. In order to get to my unit I had to walk through this garage that they are supposed to be working on. There is a ton of exposed fiberglass hanging from the ceiling of the garage. The unit itself has old furniture and the wifi is AWFUL. It was very weak. The kitchen is tiny. There is mold on the bathroom ceiling. The fan in the bathroom is very loud. The front desk service is uneven. I was given a key to the wrong unit so I had to go back for the replacement. It would have been nice if they brought the correct key to me. The young guy (maybe a manager?) was nice enough. The fire alarm went off one of the days that I was there. They need to install voice messages throughout the building when the fire alarm goes off. Plus, I am not sure that the steps are lit in case of a fire. Luckily it was a false alarm. Their policy is one parking pass per unit. Many people need more than one pass. This property is lower than a silver crown.
"Love this place."
04/23/15 Rebecca S
I stayed here many summers throughout my childhood and I have to say, I'm chuckling as I read through some of these reviews. I remember loud elevators and shabby porches and fraying carpeting (though I see there have been recent renovations). But all that being said, I really love this place. You can't beat the view or location. The middle of Thames street is definitely the place to be in Newport. Plus it looks out onto the ocean, plus you can walk to 1st beach if you don't want to drive. The indoor and outdoor pools are great and I love that there are only a few rooms per building. I haven't stayed here since before 2010, so take this as you will, but I definitely recommend Onshore!
"GREAT location!!"
04/03/15 WWCitizen Cliffside Park, New Jersey
Stay here almost every year with friends from college for a long weekend of fun and frolic. Eating and drinking and enjoying the town. We always go shopping around the hotel area and sometimes rent Vespas to run around the area, which is great fun, too! Great restaurants, pubs, and bars.
"Beautiful place to vacation!"
03/15/15 Cheshirebrat St. Petersburg, Florida
We had a two bedroom, two bath condo rental. It was just lovely being on the water, even if it was frozen! The rental had a full kitchen, spa tub in the master, a dining room and two balcony's. The best was the awesome fireplace in the living room. It warmed us up and I bet even on Summer nights it's nice to use.
"Great Location, Rooms are Wonderful"
03/06/15 NLKim Jericho
My husband and I stayed there during Valentine's day weekend and we could not have made a better choice. The room was spacious, clean, well maintained and the bed was comfortable. We were right on the water, walking distance from several restaurants and shops. We were basically 'snowed in' that Sunday, but we did not mind since we had a fireplace and jetted tub in the room. Stop and Shop is about a 5 minute drive away, but there is a very well stocked convenience store within walking distance (a few blocks down Thames) if you do not want to drive. We will definitely return.
"Rooms were freezing!"
03/03/15 Karen S
The layout of the room was ideal. Plenty of room for 3 girlfriends to hang out. We were moved once because the room they put us in was "already assigned." Second room same layout, but a little chilly. We had a fire while watching a movie and still felt cold even with the heat on 75, as high as it would go. Woke up Saturday morning and the unit was 60 degrees. All sliders, doors and windows had a terrible draft. I called to complain and the answer of course was to move us to a third room. While it was warmer overall, the floors were freezing. I guess that's why they left a space heater in the MBR. No heat source in either bathroom, brrr was an understatement. Less relaxing then we anticipated between moving & shivering!
"Nice location, poorly maintained"
02/28/15 Foodwise Washington DC, District of Columbia
Pros: views from the unit 442 were decent, could see the marina on both sides, the pool, the bridge and a sunset view (if you stand on the balcony). The unit was updated with flat screen tv, new couch, living room chairs and pillows. The kitchen area was large with sufficient cooking supplies. Overall the beds seemed clean and pillows were clean. The hotel itself is within walking distance of a number of great restaurants, cafes and shopping. There was no in-room sauna as advertised when I booked. The unit is spacious and well-laid out as all the pictures show. For the most par the unit is set back fro the main road Thames street and is fairly quiet. You can hear your neighbors a bit (talking in the hall way or below you). the elevator shaft is right near the living room door so you can hear that from time to time too. Cons: One of the twin beds had a white stain on the linen, there was sand in the hallway and all the areas of the suite that had ceramic tile you could feel the grit under your house shoes. the unit is not maintained very well and serious signs of wear and tear are noted. The kitchen cabinet facing was badly peeling on several cabinets, a chair was missing part of the staining on the wood and nearly all the wooden furniture in the twin bedroom was dated, dinged, scratched or chipped. The linen on the master bed while clean felt like sandpaper on the skin. the bathroom while it had a whirlpool tub, had water stains, dark stains (mold??) and rust around the tub deck. The bottom of the tub was stained permanently. I am soaker an was really disappointed that the tub looked so unsanitary. Upon check-in we were also told the they were doing maintenance on the windows (replacing some of them) so we might hear some noise. Despite the fact that you could hear noisy neighbors (sometimes) and doors closing etc. and the elevator noise, after about 11 pm things were really quiet until about 8 am the next day. Internet is free but a bit slow. No restaurants on site. Indoor pool is in a separate building. Coffee is in a separate building. Housekeeping is only on Mondays, so the hallway will stay dirty the pretty much the entire time we are here. Would return to the area, but not to this hotel unit. While it's a great location, the lack of upkeep, cleaning, and maintenance are real turn offs.
"Nice Weekend Getaway with the Family"
02/18/15 Jocelyn W Edison, New Jersey
Perfect weekend Getaway with the family....everything is close by. And the kitchen is well stocked. Don't need to leave the room - the front desk delivers everything and they are quick and always call to make sure you receive your items and are happy. Leslie was always there when we called and she was more than accomodating and pleasant to speak to. This is the 2nd time in 2 mos we have visited. Can not ask for any more. We will most certainly be back again. Love Newport.