All hotels in Edmonton, Alberta, Canada
1920's Street, Edmonton, AB, T5J 2R7, Canada, ‏‎800-491-6126

"nice hotel in a historical park"
Prime location if what you're interested in is the Fort Edmonton Park. The hotel is located right in the park, it includes admission to the park and different events are going on either in the park or at the hotel. But it's far from downtown and hard to get around if you don't have a car. The hotel was clean and comfortable and the staff was very helpful.
2 night trip Aug 28, 2014

Everything about the hotel was excellent. I'm just trying to figure out what an extra $33.40 charge to my credit card is for, and trying to investigate the "price match" thing because my friends got the same stay for cheaper.
1 night family trip Jul 11, 2015
"Nice old historic hotel at Fort Edmonton Park."
We booked this hotel because we were attending a wedding there. The king size bed was comfortable however the room was small, but rooms were like that back in the 1900's. It does have an elevator but we used the stairs. Very narrow stairways. the hotel was very clean and tidy. Meals are served in the hotel and we had breakfast there but we had to wait an hour for it after the waitress took our order. Not sure what the problem was as there were only 9 people in the dining room. Over all we were pleased with the hotel and would stay there again.
Other trip Aug 31, 2014
Great stay. Easy check-in (we were happy to be able to get the room early, much appreciated!), good food in the Cafe and friendly service everywhere. Basic room with a really comfortable bed. Great location, easy to walk to anywhere in the park. Wish we had time to stay another night.
1 night romance trip Aug 2, 2014
"Authenticity is taken too far!"
This was a very disappointing experience. Granted, I arrived in very wet conditions, but having to get out of my vehicle in pouring rain to reach a key pad to get access through a service gate entry, where there is no overhead cover, and wait for a response...... oh, and did I say that the keypad was on a post surrounded by a huge muddy puddle. Parking was located some distance from the entrance, in a gravel mud pit with a slippery wooden boardwalk/ramp leading up to the front entry door, which was stuck, and wouldn't open! "An asphalt parking area and a covered walkway would detract from the authenticity of the place", I was told. They have plans to redo the entry system. Not soon enough!! The least they could do is offer a horse drawn carriage to deliver guests and their luggage from the parking lot to the entrance! Otherwise, the room was pleasant and comfortable, but basic. The hotel is quite isolated, so if you don't like the menu at the one restaurant (the prices are quite steep ), it's quite a drive to find an alternative - nothing within walking distance. I guess I should be glad that I didn't have to collect rainwater to drink, and depend on a fireplace to get warm. Usually I am very accepting of different situations when travelling, but I think this hotel excelled in providing authenticity at the expense of basic comforts and courtesy to guests.
Other trip Aug 2, 2014
Sadguna
"Great park hidden away in Edmonton! :)"
The room was nice! It was kind of cool to be able to walk around the park after closing. Park admission was included in our stay. Friendly and helpful staff. We did not know anything in Edmonton. They were able to help us find our way. Wonderful restaurant, they did have a table of 30 come in just before we arrived. They had said there would be a bit of a wait, but it wasn't actually that long! Hotel is a 7 minute drive from the West Ed Mall. But you could spend a couple days in the park itself. So much to see and lots of information. The only thing was it seemed every time we tried calling the front desk to ask a question, there was no answer. One night coming back late we had to wait at the gate to be let in, and the front desk didn't answer for quite a while. Overall though we had a great stay, and will go back next time!
2 night trip Jul 21, 2014
Rylan
"1st time staying - loved it!"
What a unique experience!!! Would definitely recommend it to any one and all walks of life!!! A great taste of the past! The hotel suites are really a neat experience! No phones and television are a nice change to one evening entertainment that you make it! We toured around the grounds in the evening reading about the history of the park then the next day the tour went really fast. The theatre is a must go see and take in the short movie of the history of the park!
Other trip Jul 20, 2014
Deborah
"Great Period Respite!"
I stayed one night with my two granddaughters. The room was quaint and well fitted for the period of the hotel. The bed was sooooooo comfy. Good value for money and having Fort Edmonton Park right out the door to explore the next morning was a convenient bonus! We loved our stay and will do so again!
Other trip Jul 18, 2014
Don't expect anything fancy but very clean and comfortable, but could use nicer bedding. The brunch is to die for on Sunday.
1 night romance trip Jun 28, 2014
"Great room--service not so good"
Great room! As you walk from the parking lot you are greeted with a kitchen garbage cart and then in the front entry a dust pan and wheel chair, then at the elevator and foyer stacked plastic tables and chairs and other miscellaneous storage items just to get you into the mood and enjoy the time and era...! Ran out of toilet paper so I had to come down to the desk and carry it up to my room. Came down for breakfast and not even a mouse was stirring...the manager ended up serving us as the server arrived over an hour late. No one at the desk could share any information about the wonderful Fort Edmonton Park! The good--we enjoyed the ambiance of the Park and our room. Get it together Hotel Selkirk--so much potential to be great is being wasted!
Other trip Jun 17, 2014
jeff
"A GEM of a small hotel in a wonderful location"
Have stayed at the Hotel Selkirk on three occasions now and never been disappointed. A unique property with lots of character, far from the hustle and bustle of the city, yet close to downtown. Pleasant and quiet atmosphere and comfortable rooms at a very reasonable price.
Other trip Jun 5, 2014
2 night romance trip Jul 5, 2014
Nichole

4 night business trip Jul 20, 2015
Roch

TripAdvisor reviews for Hotel Selkirk

07/29/15 NiteTour Las Vegas
We booked out the park for my birthday and the management team was excellent while the event took place. However, prior to the event no one would return our calls, one person would say one thing and another person the complete opposite. we also tried to book the brunch, which they said was sold out - but it only had 20 people. Everyone at the hotel was very nice, just find everyone lazy. I do love this place, wish they had better management.
"A Trip Back in Time"
07/22/15 MsMatthews
I read the reviews with my kids and we had a little laugh; people were complaining about the sheets and not having TV. My kids pointed out there wasn't TV during that time period. Perhaps, management has replaced the sheets since the previous reviews but no complaints from us. The service has been really good. Everyone is friendly, accommodating and efficient. The rooms are clean and frankly it's nice to enjoy some much needed quiet time with my family. Another bonus is that the park admission is free with the room. I'd definitely recommend this experience to friends and family. It's something different to do and it's affordable.
"Disappointing but interesting."
06/24/15 Trevor S Maple Ridge, Canada
Chose this hotel for its historic significance in the development of the City of Edmonton. The hotel itself did not disappoint but the service level did. The reception staff were very friendly and efficent but have lapses in attending the front desk, passing along telephone messages (telephone out of order) and in knowing the restaurant hours and service provided. On two occasions telephone calls were made to the hotel for us. The first call, nobody answered, the call went to an answering machine, The second instance the call was answered by reception but not passed onto us. Room #302 very nice, good location, very quiet and clean. Little space in bathroom but that is part of the ambiance of a 1920's style hotel. This hotel is not to be confused with a Boutique Hotel listing, it is period style but comfortable. NOTE: There are NO Televisions in the rooms but the none period WiFi reception was good. The restaurant - This is another story. On check-In we were advised that a continental breakfast is served starting at 7 am. Sometime around 7:30 a few boxes of cereal and similar amount of pasteries were put on the table, this after asking the restaurant server when the breakfast would be available. The usual coffee, tea completed the table. The next day nothing appeared until 8 am. Be prepared to eat your breakfast standing up in the hotel lobby, as the restaurant was closed, hence no tables to sit at. Did not sample an evening meal but did have a reasonable good lunch one day. The hotel/restaurant advertises Breakfast/Lunch/Dinner. On two days of our five day stay the restaurant was closed for lunch on two days for private functions. For the hotel and service level the pricing is too high, even though the park admission is included. When the park admission is applied to each days stay it becomes expensive, there should be a pro-rated rate based on the number of days stay. Would be more economical to purchase and annual pass, especially at a seniors rate. Directional signage to the hotel could be clearer and more visable. One last warning and this involves the City of Edmonton roads department. Extreme caution is required when turning left from Fox Drive onto the park access road. There is NO left turn lane and you turn left from the centre fast lane.
"Nice Hotel but restaurant needs work."
05/21/15 Rob E
Nicely done replica of the original. The bar was a bit of a disappointment. Very little seating and no place to stand without being in the way of families walking through plus there was only one person tending the bar. The restaurant was no better. The food was very low quality especially since we ordered burgers and fries. Every table had piles of untouched fries left behind. Service was slow and a lot of people were complaining. Servers came to our table twice with other people's orders within minutes of sitting down. With less than half capacity clearly a bit of training is needed and better quality food if they expect people to come back.
"Valentine's Supper in historic Fort Edmonton Park"
03/17/15 Harold B Whitecourt
We enjoyed a fabulous 5 course meal and radio theatre in historic Hotel Selkirk located in Fort Edmonton Park, Edmonton, Alberta. The Arctic char was fantastic and all 5 courses were served well. The hotel itself has smaller than average rooms, very comfortable beds, and updated bathrooms. Please note that there is no TV in the rooms. You are paying for the ambiance and to have an after hours experience within an historic park. That being said, none of the attractions were open, you could only stroll down the streets. We felt the full experience was worth it - but not unless it is paired with the 5 course meal and radio theatre. The staff in the bar did not seem experienced nor well educated about their supply. The theater experience was exceptional and the actors all spent time at the hotel after the performance, providing a unique opportunity to visit.
"2014 New Years Eve Party"
01/27/15 Paul G Leduc, Canada
A very nice experience for New Years Eve. You come anytime in the afternoon. Have leisurely drinks & see the magician perform up close. Then an excellent dinner. Afterwards swing dance lessons (from the pro's). Then dancing up until New years & later... Back upstairs (to turn in) to our very nicely appointed room. No TV, but I had no intention of coming to watchTV. The small bar has rather limited seating. The next day, they offered a most excellent brunch (including custom omlettes if you want). Not cheap at $620 (+ drinks), but very nice.
"Great stay, neat atmosphere "
10/14/14 Reddon14 Edmonton
My wife and I stayed at the hotel Selkirk during a recent wedding at Fort Edmonton. I was pleasantly surprised by the charm, character and condition of the hotel and rooms. The rooms are definitely smaller than any modern day hotel, but that is not why you should be staying here. The hotel feel and location made it feel like I was back in time. I have no complaints and would definitely stay there again. I did not eat at the restaurant or bar so can not comment on the food or service. I have lived in Edmonton my whole life, and was glad I finally took the time to stay at this hidden gem. Would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a different experience. Especially if you already plan on visiting the park.
"Fabulous Thursday August 28th, 2014 Great Room 301"
09/05/14 Kathy C Edmonton, Canada
The service was excellent, pleasant staff all around, management included. The dining experience was exquisite. We recommend the Salmon and the 8oz Filet prepared to every thing we requested. The access to the park at any time was wonderful for a late night stroll, great stress reliever. Lovely morning breakfast in the Mahogany Room and tranquil morning tour of the entire park. Our stay at Ft Edmonton Selkirk Hotel was a complete success.
"A Step Back in time"
08/29/14 Doreen M Costa Rica
This 1920sreplica of Hotel Selkirk was a site to behold. We really enjoyed a comfortable Heritage room on 3rd floor.air conditioned&quiet. Website www.fortedmontonpark.ca No need for a tv when one is trying to soak in some history.there is always so much to see and do at Fort Edmonton. This night after dinner atJohnson's main floor we took in Thursday cinema at the Capitol theatre next door(Chicago). We sauntered the few steps back to our hotel& had a nightcap in the bar on the main floor (Canada's longest bar.) Would say the hotel is more appealing to couples. Rooms are 1920 style.comfortable, quiet&clean.Loved it& would stay again.
"wonderful experience not to be missed"
08/17/14 838travel_13 Edmonton, Canada
We wanted to see a show at the capital theatre and took advantage of the opportunity to stay overnight at the hotel. It was a wonderful stay in a cool historic building with old fashioneds in the Mahogany bar and eggs benedict and pork hash for breakfast not to be missed. Being situated within Fort Edmonton Park gives an interesting setting to explore as well!