All hotels in San Diego, California, United States of America

Beautiful beach
    Room is not nice
    Uncomfortable
    Poor vibe
No air conditioning for the hot rate weekend but otherwise good stay
1 night family trip Sep 12, 2015
Jenni
"No air conditioning"
Even though we hit the hotel when the area was having an unexpected heat wave, we were surprised that they had no air conditioning so we had to switch hotels after 1 hot night with just a fan in the room. The location is good, the pool is nice, and the World Famous restaurant next door was excellent.
Other trip Sep 16, 2015
"Next time--airconditioning."
the overall hotel was too small for our accommodations. The room was clean and tidy. I will say that this was the worst hotel stay ever. The weather was 90 some degrees and the humidity was 100%. Too hot to sleep, not way to escape the heat.
Other trip Sep 16, 2015
Wilma
"Terrible"
If I could give this hotel a negative rating I would. The only good thing about this hotel is its proximity to the beach. No AC, police activity at 4 am. Tiny parking spots that you pay 15 bucks a day for. Filthy rooms where between days they didn't even change the sheets just remade the bed. Dirty bath rooms. Overall terrible experience and more expensive than other much nicer hotels. DO NOT STAY HERE!!!
Other trip Sep 14, 2015
"Warm but we managed. Another good stay at Surfer"
Another good stay at the Surfer. This one much like the last only we were there for the two hottest days in August. It was 89 and 90 degrees respectively. There is no AC in the rooms. It was pretty warm but we took walks, went to the Maya Exhibit, used the pool and went to the pub. At night we put the fan in front of the screen door and it blew in some cooler air. The following week it was in the '70's so we just had bad timing. Anyway, thanks much to the hotel staff for a good stay. We stayed in 211, a Jr. Suite. Good view.
2 night romance trip Aug 26, 2015
Phil
"Okay hotel, right on the beach"
The location was perfect right on the beach. Staff was really nice and the room was clean. Now onto the not so good things...the walls are super thin so you can here the people walking above. I would suggest getting a room on the top floor to avoid your neighbor walking about. I think since it's in the beach area they decided AC was not going to be a necessitie however it's San Diego which can have an almost desert like climate. They do have windows you can open for fresh air which would be great except for the fact that my room was facing the street side of the hotel so it was very noisy. I woke to a trash truck and a pool of my own sweat, not so fun. I would recommend paying the extra money and getting an ocean view room, I'm sure the sound of waves and the ocean breeze would be much more pleasant. Overall with the recommendations above and if they lowered their nightly rates by at least $50 this would be a solid 3 star hotel.
Other trip Sep 7, 2015
"yes nice view to the beach that is true"
the room had an old smell , the carpet and the furniture was seedy looking . there were No chair or table in the room ! the bathroom arrangement was terrible too . I was very disappointed . very well done photoshop on the internet ! I regret that I did not take any photos
Other trip Sep 5, 2015
marika
"Proceed with caution"
I loved that I was on the beach and for me it made it worth it. There is no air condition, not very clean, small room and only shower. I upgraded to get a view and was looking at the top of the roof for the restaurant next door that was in sad shape. Hotel moved my room up a floor but not much better.
Other trip Sep 2, 2015
Claudia
"Looking for a Family Vacation?"
The pics on Hotels.com's website are misleading. The hotel is dated, shows the wear and tear of exposure to the ocean and many years of use. Rooms are small, no A/C, carpet was disgusting. The area and hotel cater to a younger party crowd. I'm not judging the activity we experienced at the hotel. That said, it's not a place for a family with children. If you're looking for a relaxing family beach vacation, this hotel is not the place. On a positive note, the front desk staff was pleasant, friendly and very accommodating allowing us to change hotels without accessing a penalty. Coffee at Woodies attached to hotel was outstanding.
Response by Surfer Beach Hotel
I apologize you did not enjoy your stay. I have to respectfully disagree with you though that this is very much a family hotel. The beach in front of the hotel is clean, with great shallows to swim in for the family on life-guarded beaches. The area restaurants cater to families with reasonably priced menus and children's options. The hotel itself is usually about half families, depending on the time of year. The weekend you came to visit, was the weekend after most schools have started, hence it was generally a clientele of mostly younger travelers and college students returning back to school. It was a rowdy crowd and wholly unusual for our hotel. For their behavior I do apologize. Hearing the laughter of children and the splashing in the pool of kids, is a regular occurence here and many families are repeat guests for years and years.
7 night family trip Aug 22, 2015
Edward
"This place is a sham"
There is no way this place should be $200+. It is absolutely disgusting. It had bugs everywhere, no air conditioning in the middle of summer in San Diego, rusty furniture and overall gross. The location is good but honestly it should be $60 a night. The photos online is NOTHING what it looks like.
Response by Surfer Beach Hotel
I am disappointed to read your comments. We are air-conditioned by the fresh ocean breezes and these are more than adequate with the exception of the rare heat wave experienced this past weekend. We have exterminators come twice a month to inspect for any insects. I am sorry that you thought this was an issue and I wish it had been brought to our attention.
Other trip Aug 30, 2015
"It's a beachside hotel, not a 5 star. The best one"
We had a great time at this hotel. The staff was very friendly and helpful. You're right on PB! I thought the hotel was very clean given what they have to contend with on a day in day out basis. Would highly recommend.
Other trip Aug 29, 2015
"Great View"
You get what you pay for if you want to stay at a resort then go stay at one, I was on the 3rd floor and I could watch the waves from My bed. Great location!!
Other trip Aug 25, 2015
"Pricy but on the beach, that's what you pay for."
Booked a King, got two queens, ok, but lights off the patio were a pain, finally caught the person in the room he turned them off. Took to long to get hot water and when you did, you couldn't get it cold, either hot or cold no medium All in all OK They had a surfing contest so that was why they were so booked that weekend.
Other trip Aug 24, 2015
"We will be back again"
Great beach views and beachfront location for the price. It does have a surfer feel to it hence the name. Some may not like but no issues with us. Very central location. Good restaurants/bars all around within walking distance
1 night family trip Aug 12, 2015
"Run down but can't beat the location."
The building is quite run down. The rooms are small. The carpet is old and worn. The bathrooms and showers are tiny. BUT, the location on the beach can't be beat. It is literally walk out to the beach. The hotel staff are very friendly and helpful. And, the beds were quite comfortable. If location is top on your list and you don't plan on spending a lot of your time in the room, for the price, I would recommend the Surfer.
Other trip Aug 18, 2015
Dennis
"stay elsewhere"
Location is the only thing good about this hotel.We had an outdated dingy room and no air conditioning. They gave us a tiny fan to accommodate our discomfort.
Other trip Aug 18, 2015
jessica
"nice except no A/C!"
The hotel is in a great location right on the water but there was no A/C in the room and it was very uncomfortable in the middle of summer... especially when the rate is in the 300's
1 night trip with friends Aug 15, 2015
Alexandra
I had a wonderful stay at the Surfer Beach Hotel. This hotel is right on the beach and close to restaurants, nightlife, and other activities. It was the perfect vacation, most of our time was spent away from the hotel room! My only complaint was that the room we were in did not have central air conditioning. I was there in August, and it happened to be very hot, so AC would have been nice to have at night. However, we left the slider door open at all times and that helped cool the room down. I would absolutely stay at this hotel again.
Other trip Aug 17, 2015
"Awesome, Affordable spot, on the beach"
My wife and I stayed at the Surfer Beach Hotel for 6 nights. We arrived before our check in time, but the staff was more than accommodating and allowed us to check in early. The room had a view of the beach, which was partially obstructed by the restaurant in front of the hotel. It wasn't a big deal though, because we could still see the sunset every night. The hotel is located in a great spot with several very good restaurants and drinking establishments within close walking distance (or stumbling). The staff was very friendly and very professional. The only con I could think of would be that there is no AC unit in the room. There is however a tower fan, which in combination with the cool breeze off the ocean at night made a very comfortable sleeping environment.
Other trip Aug 16, 2015
"On the beach, it doesn't get much better."
Great hotel, we've stayed before. Staff was really great. Went out of their way to accommodate us. About the only thing I would comment on was the carpet. They hadn't been thoroughly cleaned (like steam cleaned) in a while. When we walked on them with our bare feet, the bottom of our feet turned black. We noticed this when we walked on the bathroom tile floor and saw black foot marks. This hotel is right on the beach and I imagine people walk in with wet, dirty feet from the beach or the pool. It wasn't a really big deal. We just wore our shoes in the room.
2 night romance trip Aug 9, 2015
Ed
"Location, location, location"
Loved our stay, the location can't be beat. Almost every room has an ocean view, and you are right across the sidewalk from the beach. The hotel staff was wonderful, friendly and made sure we had everything we needed. The furniture was a little on the cheap side, the arms of the sofa were ripped, but the mattress was comfortable and the room was very clean. It was in the upper 70's during our stay and we were comfortable without air conditioning, the rooms have sliding glass doors on one side and windows on the other so there is a plenty of ventilation with the ocean breeze.
4 night trip with friends Aug 1, 2015
Love this place, perfect location, right on the beach close to great bars and restaurants, can't wait to go back
Other trip Aug 9, 2015
When booking this hotel we did not realize there would be no air conditioning. It was a little warm in the room. There was a fan provided in the closet but we did not find it until the next morning before checking out. The room was nice and had a great view of the ocean and is in a great location.
1 night family trip Aug 2, 2015
Robin
"A great time in PB"
The hotel is a little old and dated. but a good value for the money spent. It was clean and the staff was terrific; very helpful. As for the neighborhood it was the perfect place to be in PB. The restaurant at the hotel has excellent food and very fair prices.
4 night romance trip Jul 26, 2015
I stayed here with my two children (ages 16 & 14) for three nights. The first night we arrived late (Sat), party by the pool and guests were loud. The room view was excellent, however the room was just OK. Parking was available but for a daily fee. No air conditioning in room and no chair. We did find a portable fan in closet that was useful. The screen door to patio came off track and asked front desk to have someone fix. Returned to room to see that the screen door was back on track, however came off immediately once again. The cleaning staff was excellent. The location of hotel was ideal and we did have small refrigerator. I am glad we stayed, just a little disappointed with room and having to pay for parking. I suggest walking south along Mission Boulevard for some cute and trendy places to eat.
Other trip Aug 2, 2015
MomO3
"Good enough for a beach hotel"
Rooms are old and feel like it. We got used to the room after being there a day. Motel six would be an upgrade to give you a comparison. You have to ask for wash cloths for the room. Service seemed fine. Woodys hamburgers is right in front of hotel on beach (great burgers).We paid $150 night through Hotels.com which was about the max I would pay only because the hotel is on the beach. Parking is tight but we always got a spot. If you have a full size vehicle it will be real tight to park. Bottom floors have no view of ocean.
4 night family trip Jul 26, 2015
JEFFREY
"Great locality, staff, food"
Super friendly staff, accommodating. Willing to extend our stay 2 additional times because we were enjoying ourselves didn't want to leave. On site restaurant delicious foods. Great Happy hour deals. Centered around so many activities
2 night romance trip Jul 26, 2015
"Our Vacation"
The location of this hotel can't be beat. My biggest issue is the rooms are very small and no air conditioning. It was very muggy and very uncomfortable. But being right on the beach was awesome!
3 night romance trip Jul 21, 2015
Gerald
"Good location but..."
This hotel is right on the beach but there is no air conditioning and if your room is on the first floor facing the parking lot there is no ocean breeze. We also didn't feel comfortable sleeping with our windows open because there were a lot of people walking around. The bed was lumpy and the parking was horrible. There is no guarantee on a parking space.
Other trip Jul 27, 2015
"Ocean view was great. Peace and quiet"
This place was beautiful views hotel staff was great.
Other trip Jul 25, 2015
angel
"Be careful in the summer"
NO AIR CONDITIONING. ITS A BIG DEAL.
2 night romance trip Jul 18, 2015
Andrea
"Had a wonderful time!"
The hotel was right next to the beach, the view of the ocean was amazing, and there are so many places to eat and drink within walking distance.
Other trip Jul 23, 2015
Jones
"Room with a view. ."
The ocean view room is the way to go. The breeze was very much needed. Location is unbeatable.
3 night romance trip Jul 15, 2015
"Decent hotel, steps to the beach!"
No table or chair in the room. The hotel is so close to the beach which makes it the reason why we have stayed here 3 times. Nothing fancy about it, but the price is good for the location.
Other trip Jul 20, 2015
Jenny
"Surfer beach A+"
This was a very convenient place to stay, right on the beach with great views and a great location. The room was nice, not great but definitely decent.
3 night romance trip Jul 6, 2015
Smallish room. Found an old sock on the floor. Service is superior, though, and the location can't be beat. Expensive for what you get.
3 night trip with friends Jul 3, 2015
Kristy
"Dump of a hotel close to the beach"
Do yourself a favor, don't stay here. The place is old, dirty, dank. If you have a big car or truck, good luck parking it. Great location in PB but that's it. Would never stay here again.
Other trip Jul 6, 2015
Ron
"Close to the beach"
Small hotel close to the beach. Close to restaurants and activities.
Other trip Jul 1, 2015
"Location above everything else"
I was traveling for business and I was only in town for one night. Everyone else stayed next to the airport but I knew it would be worth staying at the beach. I could have stayed at a nicer hotel for the same price but I would rather stay in a mid quality hotel and wake up on the beach instead of staying in a luxury hotel anywhere else. I went swimming in the Pacific Ocean in the morning and I was back in Brooklyn eating at my favorite restaurant that same night. Not a bad business trip if you ask me.
1 night business trip Jun 24, 2015
Matthew
"Horrible"
Great location, horrible facility. Advertised as "amazing", well it is not! Old is ok if it is kept up, however this hotel is not. Old couch made of plastic and the legs were broken. Bathroom smelled horrible and there were bugs in the shower. Floors had not been vacuumed and stuff was sticking to our feet. We bolted within one hour. Booked another local hotel that was amazing. Too bad I had to loose $1200 to Expedia :( My suggestion would be to have someone travel to each location to make sure it is rated correctly and worth the money.
Other trip Jun 28, 2015
"Great hotel, great location"
We requested a beach view room that directly faced the ocean and it was totally worth it! Our single king bed room was very nice and very clean. It is the perfect location if you want to walk out and be directly on the beach, boardwalk, or be within prime walking distance to popular locations in PB. The staff was also friendly and helpful. I would recommend this to friends and family and will be staying here again in the future.
Other trip Jun 27, 2015
"Ocean View Was Amazing"
I loved staying here. The gentleman at the front desk was amazing as well.
2 night family trip Jun 20, 2015
Jackie
"Nice hotel close to the beach and restaurants."
No chairs in the room to seat, terrible, neck breaking pillows, no vacuuming the floor.
Other trip Jun 26, 2015
Janos
"Hotel close to the beach"
There is not much to say about the hotel besides the fact that its close to the beach. The rooms are small, but it worked. It gave me a nice bed to sleep in, and a bathroom to bath in, and a beautiful view of the beach. It was great to sleep being able to hear the ocean all night. Hotel staff was great, they allowed me to check in early so I could park my car and get onto the beach before my room was even ready.
Other trip Jun 24, 2015
Andres
We left on the second day instead of staying for the 3 nights that were originally scheduled. The property felt run down and unsafe. The shower was too Small and did not have a light. The carpet was extremely worn and appeared dirty.
3 night romance trip Jun 17, 2015
william
"Perfectly located beachfront hotel"
This hotel is right on the beach, and right on the border between Mission Beach and Pacific Beach. The location is great, and there are plenty of places to eat, drink, and rent bikes close at hand. The hotel is a mid-century cinder-block construction, with a nice retro look on the outside. Inside, the rooms have been kept reasonably up to date.
Other trip Jun 22, 2015
Juanita
"Perfectly located beachfront hotel"
Other trip Jun 22, 2015
Juanita
"Nice family stay."
Great time. No AC in the rooms, not that big of a deal. The ocean breeze is nice. Great view of the beach. The pool closes at 9 which really quiets things down. Room was clean. Staff was nice when we needed an iron, they brought it right up.
2 night family trip Jun 17, 2015
Very shabby. Rooms were very small bathrooms were terrible Staff were very friendly
Other trip Jun 20, 2015
"Great location, but the rest is better elsewhere."
Great location, but this is not a hotel, this is a run down motel 6! The is a small recption, and the pool area is quite nice. The rooms are very basic, the carpets old and dirty, the bathroom very small, shower very small. Worse "hotel i have stayed at for years". The high price paid could give me a first class hotel room almost anywhere else in the world. BUT the location is great, its very quiet (except for sound from the sea)and the view from the forth floor was great, although facing south we could not see the sunset. AND the restaurant next door is great and the food and wine cheap and delicious.
6 night family trip Jun 9, 2015