All hotels in Portsmouth, New Hampshire, United States of America

Breakfast is average
  • Wellness Area
    Sufficient wellness & sports facilities
"Bed bugs."
Where do I start. My girlfriend and I were attending a wedding on a Saturday in the area, and we decided to make a weekend of it. We drove straight from ohio to our hotel. Dead tired Friday night, we went straight to bed and the next day was spent getting ready for the wedding. Sunday morning, waking up, to bugs crawling on us and our sheets. We immediately called the front desk. They sent up the head house keeper who couldn't have been nicer and more helpful. Took our clothes to be laundered while we waited for another room. 30 minutes later, we call again, she said well come get your keys. With a half assed apology and new rooms keys to a downgraded room, we sat around on the last full day waiting for our laundry, showering, and inspecting our new room. Waiting 2 days for a call from the GM about the compensation we were promised and nothing but rude front desk attendants when I tried to call about it.
Other trip Sep 23, 2014
Melisa
"good enough for one night"
It was very over priced. The bathroom was not very cleaned. I was looking forward to a bath after a long drive needless to say I would not being doing that.
1 night trip Sep 20, 2014
"Our mistake"
We were offered any room but we chose near pool, first floor, front of building.( Our mistake). Unfortunately, the car traffic was loud outside, and the air compressor was right under our window. It kept cycling all night. Next time....Choose a room second or third floor and on the back of building away from traffic. Otherwise it was a good stay and a good value.
Other trip Sep 22, 2014
retired and tra
The room was decent, but the noise transferred room to room. Conversations from adjoining rooms were clear. The dog policy was very nice and accommodating though.
Other trip Sep 15, 2014
"Not recommended"
I would not recommend this hotel. Our "non smoking" room stank like smoking room. Bathroom smelly and shower curtain moldy. I paid $500 + for 3 nights stay and expected a little more. Location is not good, It's near major highway. Stay away if you can.
3 night trip Aug 29, 2014
Irine
"Convenient affordable hotel ...."
We came to Portsmouth on a college visit to the University of New Hampshire and have a mini getaway. The hotel had convenient access to the UNH campus as well as the Portsmouth area and nearby Maine. We had fun exploring the area. The hotel was clean and efficient, as well as affordable and we would trust staying there again, especially if my son gets into UNH.
Other trip Sep 2, 2014
Renia
"Exit off 95 directly into parking lot of hotel!"
I want to give this hotel a 5 in every area, but cannot. The hotel itself is attractive and appears mostly well maintained. There are some small problems that need to be addressed however.When i got to my room, the lift cover in the sink wouldn't lift to let water out; but maintenance was in the hotel, and came immediately and fixed it. But shortly afterward, i discovered that water in larger amounts wouldn't drain down the sink pipe. In addition, there was dirt in corners in the bathroom; they don't put a paper seal around the toilet seat to let you know the maids cleaned it; there are no hooks for robes or towels to hang on; and there is no shelf near the sink on which to put toiletries. On the plus side is location - very convenient to both I95 and downtown Portsmouth, NH, the hotel is attractive, the room had features such as microwave and refrigerator, large television and attractive color schemes on bedding and drapes. If they can get their drains to work better, get the maids to clean better, and add a few small pleasantries as indicated above, this hotel could rate at least a 4.
1 night trip Aug 21, 2014
Kay
"A Good Choice"
I would stay here again. The beds are comfortable, the breakfasts are fine, the room was clean. The sink area is pretty small, but it's ok.
1 night trip Aug 23, 2014
We found a reasonable sized room in a good and convenient location to downtown. The continental breakfast was more than I expected but closes much to early...9 am. The grounds were neat and nicely landscaped and the pool looked inviting. The convenience of a small refrigerator and microwave was especially helpful for my wife who is on a G-F diet.
Other trip Aug 23, 2014
me and pa
"Nice hotel close to Maine!"
Rooms were so nice. We lived the pool area. Breakfast area needs more chairs and tables. Breakfast did not have any hot food which made it hard for my husband because he has a gluten allergy and couldn't eat any of it.
Other trip Aug 22, 2014
Tara
"ok"
This hotel is dated and was fine for a night. It is located right off the highway so it was a little noisy. Short drive to downtown Portsmouth.
1 night family trip Jun 2, 2014
"Nice place to stay"
The place was clean, nice, and friendly. It did include a decent breakfast. The staff was very helpful. It was very near the highway but not noisey, just convenient. A reasonable distance from the local sights.
1 night trip Aug 14, 2014
M&W
"Good quick overnight hotel while traveling"
This is located directly off of and overlooking the freeway. Not in the downtown area. Not within walking distance to quant historical/trendy Portsmouth.
Other trip Aug 16, 2014
"hotel stay"
clean rooms, very, very small bathroom though. the rest was nice.
Other trip Aug 15, 2014
steve
"August 11, 2014 stay"
Very good location. Walking distance to downtown Portsmouth (20 minutes). The bed was so comfy! Stayed in room 358 and didn't hear anyone else. Continental breakfast very good! I'll stay here again!
1 night trip Aug 11, 2014
Paula
"Two thumbs down."
The continental breakfast was a major disappointment. The cereal dispenser was jammed. Alhough two healthy foods were available, raisin bran and bananas, they were not restocked and the dispenser did not work. The pool was small and not good for laps, and was overcrowded with only four people. The kids were disappointed and so was I.
1 night family trip Aug 10, 2014
"Had no air conditioning for many hours"
Finally changed rooms at 1130 at night . Not very clean either
Other trip Aug 10, 2014
"Would Not Recommend......."
The pictures online make this hotel seem much nicer than it actually is. Our room was on the first floor and we had to walk through a hallway that ran parallel to the pool area and it was hot, humid and smelled like chlorine. The room was outdated and smelled like urine. The breakfast area was very crowded and not enjoyable. The one plus is that it is a good location - it only took about 3-5 minutes to drive downtown. Otherwise nothing positive to say and I would definitely not stay at this hotel again.
Other trip Aug 10, 2014
M
Prescott Park
1 night trip Aug 7, 2014
"1st floor is half buried underground."
We arrive late and get 1st floor unit. Room is decently sized and reasonably clean. AC is noisy and curtain can't be fully closed.
Other trip Aug 8, 2014
CA traveler
Hotel is okay not the best customer service breakfast provided but not enough food for all customers
Other trip Aug 8, 2014
My husband and I enjoyed our stay at the Anchorage Inn. Room was clean, staff was helpful, location was right off rt 95. The only improvements I'd make are to add another waffle maker at breakfast and to extend breakfast to 10 AM. The first morning we had to wait in line after about 8 people waiting to make waffles in the one waffle maker. The next morning we felt we'd better get up earlier to beat the crowd and we did but getting up before 8 am to make it to breakfast is pretty early when on vacation.
Sandy
"Won't stay here again."
Well first they booked us into a room that was already occupied. Awkward. Then the rooms themselves were run down and dirty. Breakfast was understaffed and you had to wait a long time for things like forks and napkins. Not a great experience overall.
2 night trip Jul 31, 2014
"Funky Smell"
We had booked this room for two nights, but moved to its competitor on the main road after one night. It smells like mold and mildew all over the hotel. The carpet in our room was soggy and there was hair from previous guests all over the place. Drunk people also hung out in their parking lot all night. We stayed at their competitor for the exact same price and were greeted with service that was a complete 180 from this place. I do not recommend.
1 night family trip Jul 30, 2014
"good hotel for medium price"
The room and bath were clean and pleasant but they could use new beds. I was not happy that the swimming pool doesn't open till 8 a.m. That's too late for a morning swim before getting on the road. The breakfast was decent.
Lori
"Desperately in need of refurbishing."
The Anchorage Inn may have been nice in its heyday, but it is now run-down and in need of the owners/new owner to come in and refurbish completely. The receptionist was not at the desk when we arrived, but came in shortly after checking on a key issue. He was helpful to us and recommended a dinner spot. When we came down to go to dinner, we noticed he was away from the desk again, this time outside smoking and talking on his cell phone - probably not approved by his supervisor. The bed was comfortable, but the room lacked electrical outlets. The A/C was noisy like a lot of motel ones are - these under-window systems need to be tossed and something better provided! (general statement) The shower curtain was covered with mildew on the inside - yuck. The walkway from the front desk to the elevator wound around the enclosed inside pool area and was like entering a Finnish sauna - and it stank like chlorine. Yuck again. Unless major changes and updates are made, we won't be staying here again.
Other trip Aug 1, 2014
"Adorable but not fancy."
This hotel is ok but nothing special. The room is musty.
Other trip Jul 28, 2014
"Great stay for the price !!!"
Its not a five star hotel but it was super clean, everyone there is extremely friendly. The room air conditioning was amazing (that alone would have been 5 stars). The pool was nice but the chlorine in the air throughout the hallways was over powering, (you could not smell it in the room). Very simple continental breakfast but get there before ten. At ten its picked up and put away in a heart beat. Overall I would definitely stay there again.
Other trip Jul 22, 2014
"Decent place for Business Travel on the Seacoast"
The rates in Portsmouth and the Seacoast are ridiculous in the summer. The Anchorage Inn is a decent place , for a decent rate . No problems, good Internet speed, real convenient location
1 night business trip Jul 17, 2014
Justa_Pedlr
"Dated motel"
very basic lodging, with some worn furnishings, but presentable. interior pool is very tiny...only good for young kids. Cholrine smell permeates the area around the front desk and breakfast area.
Other trip Jul 21, 2014
Fernando
"Basement rooms"
The hotel smells like a combination of chlorine and mold. We were put in the basement. It wasn't worth the almost $200 we paid for one night's stay!
Other trip Jul 21, 2014
"Pool is very small"
It was just okay. Front desk wasn't very friendly. Failed to mention anything about breakfast or free wifi. Pool was very small and whirlpool was barely warm. Room was clean. Beds were not that comfortable. Sink was outside of bathroom, which was nice. However, the bathroom itself was extremely small. Breakfast is included, which is usually a bonus. Not this time. It is listed as an expanded contintental breakfast. There was muffins (which were cold) bagles, bread, hard boiled eggs, cereal, apples (no other fruit) and you could make waffles. We went early and had a hard time getting near anything. Breakfast room was very small.
1 night family trip Jul 11, 2014
"needs improvement"
This hotel is nice on the outside... If you stay parked in the front and don't venture to the back. The new bathrooms are very nice and the free breakfast is decent. We had 2 rooms and one had a new air conditioner while the other had an old musty dirty one that filled the room with a horrible smell and couldn't be used. (Plus it was a hot July day, so that sucked) The carpets in the hotel are stained and mismatched. The pool room is muggy, hot, and smells of over chlorination. For someone in a wheelchair to be put on the second floor was a challenge. The one ramp was at the front entrance only. We asked for adjoining rooms and were given rooms next to each other, but they didn't adjoin. We adjoined to another room which I believed was just a mistake by the guy at the front desk. Service was decent. OK for one overnight on our way to Logan. Would really consider something else next time.
1 night family trip Jul 12, 2014
Lynda
"Nice hotel, great price!"
Nice stay, large room, and great amenities. The room was clean and has more than enough space for two people! We loved having the indoor pool and fitness center. While the fitness center is small, I never had to share it with anyone and enjoyed the sauna. Staff was helpful and friendly.
Other trip Jul 17, 2014
Kaye
"Overnight stay"
The hospital staff and management is excellent. However, upon arriving, I found my room infested with bed bugs. The managment was extremely helpful and appropriately appalled and quickly moved me to another room. So, even though there is excellent customer service here, the cleanliness and condition of the rooms is subpar and I cannot recommend staying here.
1 night trip Jul 9, 2014
"A mediocre hotel near downtown Portsmouth."
I stayed with some friends at the Anchorage Inn during a conference we were attending in downtown Portsmouth. The staff was pleasant and the check-in and out process was simple and quick. Our room was small and mediocre. It smelled strongly like left-over food and there were several mildew stains in the tub. We had a room that was in the lower section of the hotel, and we likened the setting to staying in a 'dungeon.' The beds were uncomfortable, and the bathroom was extremely small. We did not utilize the complimentary breakfast or pool, so I cannot comment on these amenities. That being said, it was a fine hotel for the 2 nights we stayed there, and was literally a 3 minute drive to downtown Portsmouth with a cheaper rate.
Other trip Jul 16, 2014
"Used to be a nice hotel"
Anchorage came recommended as an old building meticulously kept up. Not in my experience. The bath was dirty, and the bathroom could have been cleaned. There was nowhere to eat a light supper. The beds were comfortable.
Other trip Jul 14, 2014
Maureen
Very nice hotel. Really only noticed two things. First, the TVs need to be updated as they are about 20 years old and the bathrooms were very small. Otherwise very nice, nice pool, jacuzzi, cleanlines, quiet etc.
1 night trip Jul 11, 2014
"Very clean. Helpful staff. Breakfast crowded."
Rooms very clean. Walls and floors seemed thin as you could hear everything going on about us. Breakfast area too small for number of guests feeding at the trough.
1 night family trip Jul 5, 2014
ThomasG
"was ok"
was ok, the room was to close to the swimming pool and too noisy
Other trip Jul 6, 2014
Rose
The stay was grate. The only problem I had was the bleach smell. When we walked in the lobby to check in the smell was very strong. I don't kno if their using the appropriate amount of bleach in the pool, but It stuck with us until we got to the room and the smell would go and come. If they would fix that bleach smell problem that would be great. One more thing, the hotel staff guy was smoking a cigarette outside right by the entrance and threw the cigarette right on the floor which after a while it started to smoke no one noticed the smoke but me as I was coming out and I ran and told him and he ran out and sprayed it with the hoes. I thought that was Eresponsible and unprofessional / stupid on his behalf.
1 night family trip Jun 24, 2014
Chief
The room was clean but smelled a bit musty when we arrived. The bathroom is TINY. There is barely room to exit the tub without hitting the toilet. And it is very noisy - we were on the first floor and you could hear everyone walk down the hallway upstairs! The floors in the room creaked and when anyone got up in the night, everyone in the room woke up. On the plus side, the staff was very helpful. The continental breakfast was fair - the waffles were good but the danish and muffins were only so-so. The cereal was a little on the stale side. I wish they had had yogurt and more fresh fruit options.
Other trip Jun 26, 2014
"A pleasure to stay again!"
We stayed here last year while attending the NHRA New England Summer Nationals and we were very glad to stay again this year. The staff was awesome and helpful, even when I needed a charging cord for my cell phone! My only negative was that the bathroom looked like it was in the middle of repair, not painted trim and putty all over and we found a towel behind the door that had been used. That was it and nothing that would keep up from coming back.
2 night trip Jun 20, 2014
dawnoxnard
"not what I expected from reviews"
New front desk guy was very nervous and the room keys he gave us weren't programmed correctly and so didn't work. The side door to the hotel was unlocked during the day and evening so security not very good. At least they locked it at night. In the AM the basement room was very noisy - sounded like people loudly chatting out in the hallway at 7:30am and that is about the time the children in the room over us started running back and forth doing laps in their room. From the 4 plus ratings I expected this hotel to be very nice but it was actually rather run down. Oh also a very strong chlorine smell in the hallways from the pool I assume.
Other trip Jun 22, 2014
"overall a great value"
could have been a bit closer to the city center, but for the price and the location, it was great! Room was comfy and breakfast was included!
1 night trip Jun 15, 2014
"Great place to stay while working in the area."
I have stayed here before while working in the area. I usually stay 2-4 nights. Everything here is done right. The room and bed are comfortable, clean and well kept. The indoor pool is great for relaxing after a long day. The breakfast is good to start the day and the newspaper is a bonus. Hospitality is fantastic.
Other trip Jun 18, 2014
We were there to attend the graduation exercises for a grandson at Berwick Academy. The rooms were clean and the bed comfortable. The only negative was the bathroom was rather small. We would not hesitate to stay there again if in the area. Ken & Elaqine Hawkins
Other trip Jun 15, 2014
"Nice hotel, close to the event we were attending."
Very friendly front desk staff. Breakfast area staff not so friendly!
Other trip Jun 9, 2014
Joan
"Pleasant enough..."
We booked the hotel at the last minute and thought it was great for one night. The room was clean and nice looking. The breakfast was enough for me...bagels, english muffins, waffles, cereals, etc.
Other trip Jun 9, 2014
MinnesotaNice
"Two night stay"
Very nice hotel near UNH. Comfortable and quiet. We enjoyed the fitness center, hot tub, sauna, and pool. Great for relaxing after a long drive to NH. Due to car trouble we extended our stay one night, with no problems. Everyone was very friendly and helpful.
Other trip Jun 6, 2014