All hotels in El Portal, California, United States of America
9966 Highway 140, El Portal, CA, 95318, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Convenient location but horrible service"
The hotel is conveniently located just outside of the park, the rooms and facilities are okay. Service is horrible, there is no free wifi ($10/day). The grill/restaurant stopped serving food at 8pm because they were "understaffed". Breakfast is only a buffet for an extra $12. They were hosting a party the night we stayed there, the party was still going on and very loud at 3am.
Other trip Oct 26, 2015
Pauline
They charge you $9.99 for internet access. This is just slow speed, no streaming.
1 night romance trip Oct 23, 2015
Victor
"Beds are old and frayed"
We have stayed here every year the past. This year the room was very seedy. The beds were old and sagged and the matresses and box springs looked like they had been dragged through a parking lot.
Other trip Oct 22, 2015
"Bathroom fan just makes noise?"
Everything within Yosemite was already booked. The room I had was very nice and very clean. Size was good with 2 queen beds and even a sofa. The room was missing last digit of room number but I could see the faded outline of the digit on the door. My main gripe is the bathroom. It was very hard to control the temperature for the shower. In addition, the fan while it makes a lot of noise does not appear to do anything. So, after even a not very hot shower, the bathroom was covered in steam and everything was a bit damp. I left the fan on, hours later, room was still damp. Taking a star off for that. Overall, I would stay here again based on its location (relatively close to entrance but still a drive to Yosemite Valley) and price.(in between cheap hotels with much longer drive and closer/or in the park hotels that are a lot more expensive).
Other trip Oct 22, 2015
"Great place to stay when visiting Yosemite"
Takes less than 20 min drive to enterance of Yosemite. Our room has a spa tub, which is great to relax after a long day in the national park.
2 night romance trip Oct 16, 2015
Yuxiang
Great hotel with a great location. Very convenient to Yosemite!
1 night family trip Oct 10, 2015
"Cedar lodge needs better facilities/amenities."
Unfortunately information regarding lack of adequate Internet and cell phone facilities was not made available prior to making a reservation. We had to cut our stay a day short due to this deficiency.
Other trip Oct 15, 2015
fred
"Overall Disappointed"
Showed up the the hotel after a 9 hrs drive to find my hotel reservation had been cancled. The person behind the counter acted as if it was my fault and he was doing me a favor finding me a room. They did not give me the room equal to what I had reserved. The room had a kitchenette, and all the dishes were dirty. We could hear the foot steps of the upstairs guest. At checkout, I found out the person who initially checked me in didn't give me a room equine to what I had reserved even though there was one available. The location is pretty great. The river is across the road. There is a bus that can take you in to Yosimite for a small fee.
2 night family trip Oct 9, 2015
Erik
"8 miles to Yosemite gate"
The staff at the counter where friendly and helpfull. No problems checking in or out. The room was alright but did smell a little of mildew when first entered. It should be "ozoned" with an ozonator to kill the mildew and then "Fabreezed" with unscented Fabreeze to remove the ozone odor. More towels were needed. The bed was comfortable, but it needs fitted sheets. The bottom sheet moved all night. The room and exterior of the buildings are well maintained. Pleasant photos of Yosemite are on all the walls. They have some nice sitting areas outdoors and barbeques on both sides of the highway and access to the river. The grounds are well maintained. If you like bear art, there are bear statues everywhere outside. There are both an indoor and an outdoor pool that are actually open and kept up, unlike Best Western. The breakfast at the restaurant was just fine. The the staff was always right there helping even though it was a buffet of all you can eat. I wish it was less expensive, but with the Yosemite Lodge at $270, what the heck.
Other trip Oct 12, 2015
Greig
Nothing special at the hotel but you are there for the proximity to Yosemite. Food at the restaurant and grill was OK, a bit overpriced but so is everywhere else nearby. The bar has a good selection of beers. Overall provides the basics. Be aware that they charge for WiFi and there is no cell phone service at the hotel.
4 night family trip Sep 25, 2015
Anna
"Nice easy drive to Yosemite Valley"
The hotel staff was wonderful. I called ahead of time to ask for an upper room that was somewhat private. The staff was VERY accommodating and helpful and I was very pleased with the room they gave me. Based on my overall experience, I would recommend this hotel to a friend. I was expecting El Portal to be a small town. Basically it's a few hotels with a gas station and small grocery store. But it's worth being this close to Yosemite and the scenery is spectacular. My only complaint would be the food. Found two hairs in my salad and couldn't bring myself to eat there after that. The manager was very gracious and did offer us a complementary drink/dessert. Felt like he should have comped the entire meal. Couldn't eat there again after that!!
Other trip Oct 10, 2015
Deb
"Good experience"
It was a decent room. I would go back
1 night family trip Oct 3, 2015
"The main benefit is proximity to Yosemite"
I was glad to hear that this hotel is going to be renovated this winter as it really needs it. It's nicely close to the park and the hotel staff is friendly, but the accommodations definitely need improvement. Our smelled heavily of cleaning products and the carpet was so filthy it turned my white socks black. We had a nice kitchenette which was handy. I think it's expensive, but your pain for ease of getting into the park.
Other trip Oct 7, 2015
Nana Babs
Room wasn't very clean, saggy bed, old and outdated but not many other reasonable options to stay fairly close to the park entrance.
1 night trip Oct 3, 2015
"1/2 hour from Yosemite Nat'l. Park entrance"
Hotel is clean although out of date in decore. And that wasn't really important to me because we spent all day at Yosemite. The only real complaint were the stiff matresses, I mean like sleeping on plywood. Other than that this hotel suited our purposes.
Other trip Oct 6, 2015
"No breakfast, no Internet, standard room."
No breakfast, no Internet (in fact they charge 10$ per day PER DEVICE!! and speed sucks). Clean, close to the park's entrance. Not terrible BUT next time I would look for a different place.
2 night family trip Sep 29, 2015
Hernan
"A retreat at Yosemite"
Met relatives at Yosemite for visit to park. Motel was rather crowded but relatively quiet. Wish the restaurant had been open more hours....missed breakfast.....no lunch available....missed dinner
2 night romance trip Sep 27, 2015
"awful experience"
This place charges way too much for everything, and the experience is not worth what you party at all. $10/ day for wifi, rooms are expensive and quite basic for the price. TV didn't work and you won't get cell service here, so the TV / wifi issues are important. It's just a pullout on the road into Yosemite, so there is nothing at all to do here. They have a pool but it was unappealing and overcrowded. They run a little store with very high prices. considering how stingy they were with everything else I was surprised to see they offered coffee in the lobby like other hotels.... until I saw that they charge $1.49 for these little styrofoam cups, completing the picture of them as fleecing the Yosemite visitors. Do yourself a favor and stay in Mariposa or another nearby town.
1 night romance trip Sep 28, 2015
"It was good"
I was a bit worried because I have read many bad reviews on this place. I personally thought this lodge was good. The staff were nice and our room as well as bath room was pretty clean. I don't know if they have renovated recently but I didn't have any yucky feeling at all. I don't mind staying this hotel again. If I add one more thing, the WiFi service is provided by 3rd party not by the hotel management. It cost you $10 for 24 hours. My husband tried to connect but it was unsuccessful. If you want to be on internet even when you are in the middle of nature, this place doesn't work for you.
1 night romance trip Sep 26, 2015
"Too pricey"
No internet, unless you pay for it and no cell phone coverage! Over priced for what we got. Limited food choices. Hot tub in room was very nice, but if the room next door used their's, it was noisy. Not sure if bedding was actually clean, coffee pot in room was not clean and when we checked out, no coffee was made in the lobby. Overall let down.
1 night romance trip Sep 25, 2015
"Close to arch rock entrance. Convenience for a reaClose to arch rock entrance. Convenience for a reasonable"
This was a good hotel to use as a homebase wow sightseeing in Yosemite for a few days. We didn't need much. It's quiet, it has a restaurant on site which is OK, and a mini fridge in the room to store our snacks for the next days sightseeing. It also has a general store and gift shop for a few last minute things. It's not as convenient as staying on the national Park obviously, but for the price it's well worth it.
2 night family trip Sep 24, 2015
matthew
"Close to Yosemite National Park."
It appeared to us that the bar and grill is a hang out for younger people. With many of the guests seeming to be older with visiting Yosemite in mind, this can be a turn off to see much younger people hanging in the parking lot and outside the bar area. We saw there was a change in ownership and maybe the new owners have something else in mind for the place. The rooms could be updated with housekeeping checking to make sure all the lightbulbs work. We had three that didn't. I hope the the attitude isn't - we know you are going to the park and we are one of the very few close to Yosemite so deal with it.
Other trip Sep 28, 2015
Rosie
"nice location"
nice location.. near the stone arch entrance, 5 miles from gas, 4 stars for me.. coz theres no free wifi and you have to pay for the slowest internet $10/24hr rate.. even the coffee at the lobby.
Other trip Sep 26, 2015
leo
Limited menu especially at breakfast Accommodations were a little pricey. Pleased overall with the lodge.
2 night romance trip Sep 22, 2015
"Ok hotel--would stay again."
Good place to stay but was further from the park entry than we would have liked. Room was clean. Nothing special but we would stay again.
3 night romance trip Sep 16, 2015
Craig
The best thing going for this hotel is the location. The restaurant wasn't the greatest, though, so after the first night, we ate in the park. Bed was comfortable and we received extra pillows and a blanket very quickly after we requested them.
3 night family trip Sep 17, 2015
This hotel needs some serious updates and remodeling. If you can stay elsewhere, like in Yosemite proper or mariposa, do it.
3 night family trip Sep 17, 2015
"Conveniently located for easy access to Yosemite P"
The Hotel room was highly appointed - a bit too high for our needs, and the cost reflected it. I expected a Breakfast and Free Wi-fi for the price, so I was doubly disappointed. Charging for Wi-Fi is really unacceptable today, so I felt I was being ripped off. They could at least have served a basic breakfast, which I would have made me happy. I politely made my feelings known to the staff, but I didn't get much response.
Other trip Sep 21, 2015
"Good if you can't stay in the park"
Good place to stay if you can't get a room in Yosemite NP. Place is about a 15 minute drive to the park entrance. Room was comfortable and onsite restaurant was good. Located in a scenic valley with a good picnic spot on a river.
2 night romance trip Sep 14, 2015
"Hostel of Horror."
The most horrible hotel ever! I have stayed in the seeded section of Los Angeles before but the cheapest hotel there is a step-up compared to the Cedar Lodge. You would think for the rate they charge they would at least have clean rooms. No way Jose! The rooms smelled like animal feces and the room my daughter-in-law booked was so dirty that she contracted head-lice and had to treat herself and her 2 kids after her stay there. The room my wife and I had was bottom-of-the-barrel. Rooms that rent by the hour are better than these. They did not even have a desk attendent to book people in upon arrival. I had to call a # for the hotel to have the owner send someone to check us in - this was afternoon and on a Friday! Don't go here.
2 night family trip May 29, 2015
Zachary
The room was clean and I like that it was equipped with a stove complete with cooking utensils, silverware and chinaware. I was able to cook breakfast for my family of 4 (there is a small general store close to the lobby where you can buy eggs, milk etc.) and save a little bit, compared to getting out and eat out. Also, it's good that they have a restaurant nearby where we had a nice dinner. Good service overall.
2 night family trip Sep 5, 2015
Griselda
"Don't stay here"
Rude staff, wifi was $10/night PER DEVICE, nowhere nearby to eat except their overpriced restaurant that had awful tasting food .. Stay in a hotel in oakhurst instead
2 night family trip Sep 5, 2015
"Decent but expensive"
Overall hotel was good although it was very expensive. Try to get one in the park itself it's at least 30-40% cheaper than cedar. Since they are the only one in a closer proximity to the park their restaurant is also expensive. Another option is to try groveland area they have some decent looking hotels...
1 night romance trip Sep 5, 2015
Rahil
"For the money I paid ,expected more"
II WILL NEVER COME BACK! Until the owner cleans up his or her act!!!!!!!
Other trip Sep 8, 2015
"Maybe a choice for one day stay"
The place is very close to the Yosemite Park.However, the prices of this hotel is over its service.
1 night romance trip Sep 4, 2015
"Excellent experience here."
We were upgraded to a double queen with separate queen in separate room (from double queen + sofa). The room has been recently remodeled and everything was neat, clean, and wonderful mattresses. Lovely double deck which overlooked the mtns. (and road). Only issue with room was no closet/clothes rack - which I mentioned to desk (possibly still not installed from remodel). Restaurant good, not wonderful. No breakfast except $12 buffet which was the only downer. WiFi pay only, not great, but did work. Cell phone service in this area is sketchy if at all. Wonderful little beach area and picnic spots along the river which the hotel has lit up for safety. We'd be more than happy to return!!
2 night trip with friends Sep 1, 2015
"Close to Yosemite"
Very average stay. Restaurant was expensive for the quality. Location was excellent, but that's as positive as I can be.
Other trip Sep 6, 2015
I was disappointed with this hotel. The staff was not friendly and acted as if this was the only place in town (which is really true).
2 night romance trip Aug 26, 2015
"Not bad"
Typical of an older "resort" motel. Reminds me of older type accommodations in a ski resort. It will do though. The place was clean, the staff was attentive. It is a little bit of a drive to Yosemite though, about a half hour, but not too bad. It is one of the next nearest places to stay outside of the park itself. We would stay there again.
2 night family trip Jul 30, 2015
Debbie
"Cedar Lodge, El Portal"
Older hotel in desperate need of refurbishing. Overall property was fairly clean. Room was good size (2 queen beds). Bed was hard, pillows were flat and once pillows in a previous life. We always bring our own pillows, suggest that for you (if possible). Water pressure out of tub was great, but once shower turned on, water pressure was very little. Low flow shower heads, mean you're taking a shower twice as long. As seen in other reviews, breakfast is NOT included, but available at the restaurant on property for a fee. Only had buffet for breakfast, but fair amount of food choices, BUT, they charged extra for milk and juice. Unfortunately, just out of Yosemite, hotels are rather scarce, so we kind of had to stay here. If possible I would stay somewhere else next time before before returning here.
2 night family trip Aug 18, 2015
Patrick
"It was an ok stay"
No free wifi and the wifi you need to purchase is almost unusable.
1 night romance trip Aug 27, 2015
nice complex in valley. Effort made to take advantage of its location & make grounds appealing. Large room. Average breakfast. Nice location for going into Yosemite following morning.
1 night family trip Aug 16, 2015
Marcia
"Very secluded nothing around the hotel"
Must have dinner in the hotel unless willing to drive 30 min
Other trip Aug 26, 2015
int traveler
"Terrible hotel"
Avoid at all cost. Terrible.
1 night romance trip Aug 21, 2015
Bad room service, did not change the towels and refill toiletry, no complimentary coffee and tea.......
3 night family trip Aug 18, 2015
"Cedar lodge"
We had a three bed two room suite. It as very nice and clean. The ice machine in our building was broken but the one next door was fine. The restaurant was good too.
1 night family trip Aug 20, 2015
Clay
"Roach hotel"
Roaches in room poor/expensive Internet and no cell service. Also in disclosed fees to use phone. Good was just fair but the price was high. Over all I would say the do the minimum and take advantage of guests with no other option its pushing it to say this is a two star hotel
Other trip Aug 23, 2015
"Horrible >> Stay away!"
Absolutely horrible. Beyond old, a smelly and dirty room. I saw these kind of facilities only in bad movies. You name it : paper thin walls. plastic bathroom, old worn out towels. No wifi, instead you get a 10 USD / day slow, unusable connection. Girlfriend was upset with me and it actually ruined an otherwise nice trip. I still cringe thinking about the experience. Never again. Don't be tempted to stay there even if its the only option. Its available for a reason.. This place should be closed down.
1 night family trip Aug 20, 2015
Guy
"Good hotel...10mins away from yosemite village."
Awesome...gud rooms nd grear stopover place en route to yosemite
Other trip Aug 22, 2015
"Nice Location, bad organization"
There aren't many place to stay close to the park but this hotel is leveraging too much on the location despite the service they offer. Wifi is 10$/day per device and poor quality. Food is not good and the overall staff is not adequate. The pool seem to be nice but I hadn't got time to try it. Overall a Motel in a very nice location.
Other trip Aug 21, 2015