All hotels in Shell Lake, Wisconsin, United States of America
315 Hwy 63 South, Shell Lake, WI, 54871, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

2.7
The continental breakfast was a joke. No peanut butter for toast or english muffin, milk was sour, very limited selection and what was there was pre-packaged. I've had better tasting Tang than their Orange juice. We went into town to the grocery store for breakfast.
1 night romance trip Aug 14, 2015
jeff
"Sleep in your car before staying here!"
Can I rate this hotel with negative stars? This was the worst hotel I have ever stayed in. Let's begin with they do not provide shampoo, conditioner or REGULAR COFFEE! You must ask prior to receiving these items and when you do ask, they treat you like you are asking for a gold watch. When they "cleaned" our room, which did not included making the beds, taking out the trash, replacing the towels, or cleaning any of the surfaces, but did include taking all your soap and toilet paper... Yes I said toilet paper. Once again, you must ask for toilet paper... Another gold watch! Would you like me to go on? OK... Breakfast is included... Is that what a ho-ho, soggy stale bagels and outdated rotten cream cheese is? I have been going about this breakfast thing all wrong all these years.. Needless to say, we ate elsewhere since I became ill after taking one bite of my bagel and cream cheese. The only positive I can say about this place is a friendly lady held the door for me when I walked in the door... Oh and try Peggy's in town. Their food is delicious!!
3 night romance trip Aug 6, 2015
"Not impressed"
Service was poor. No one at the front desk when we arrived, waited for 5 minutes before anyone showed up. Pool and hot tub water levels were about 6" too low, no towels in pool area. Continental breakfast included unwrapped "swiss rolls" and only 3 coffee cups for about 15 people. Toaster didn't toast, merely warmed the bread.
1 night romance trip Jul 31, 2015
Sharron
"It Works But Needs Work"
Pool was great for the kids, but service was not good. Pool area was not clean and they usually out of towels. Breakfast was subpar and breakfast area not kept clean.
2 night family trip Jul 29, 2015
chad
Facilities were nice. Clerk at check in in morning very friendly. Desk clerk in evening unfriendly. Not a full breakfast at all. Should be advertised as continental to be more accurate.
1 night romance trip Jul 25, 2015
"Weekend get away"
Internet is off more than on. Breakfast area is very small and has little to offer, orange drink instead of juice. Run by a family and they were very nice.
1 night romance trip Jul 11, 2015
"weekend wedding"
This hotel was very clean and the staff, which I believe is a family, was very friendly. The breakfast left a lot to be desired. Two sugary cereals, oatmeal and waffles, plus a very slim pickings of sweet rolls. wireless internet is free, however it works very sporadically and is down more than up.
1 night romance trip Jul 10, 2015
"Terrible Experience, Birkie racers beware!"
The hotel randomly canceled my expedia reservation on the night before the Birkie race. All other hotels in the area were full. It became apparent that the hotel was double booking and canceling Expedia reservations. The hotel staff was very confrontational and downright rude about the matter. I will never stay at this hotel and am now very cautious about using Expedia.
Other trip Feb 23, 2015
"Very expensive room that I didn't stay in."
I booked the room through Expedia. In route to my destination a had some vehicle problems and was unable to continue. I called the hotel to cancel right away. The manager assured me that I wouldn't be billed. If I was it was because I booked with Expedia and it would be automatic. Several days later card was billed in excess of what the room total was quoted (even with taxes figured in) I called the hotel again and talk to the same foreign manager as I did at the time of cancelation he told me there was nothing he could do as the billing was automatic. So I then called Expedia and the fellow I spoke with there said that it looked as though the hotel was to refund the money. Now a month later and still no refund. I would suggest saving yourself the time trouble and hassle and find anywhere other than here to stay as well as do your own booking.
Other trip Aug 30, 2014
"Too much for too little"
When we arrived I asked if there was a rate for seniors. I was told I got my discount when I booked on-line. My bill had no detail but a total cost that was $135 not the $121 Expedia told me. I assumed it was taxes but wasn't comfortable asking after the first response I received. The room was fine and the bed was good but nothing special for the money. Breakfast had two sugared cereals and oatmeal, waffles and assorted bread and bakery. No eggs or bacon or sausage. Should have driven a little further to stay at a Choice Hotel. Best Western was booked up. At this rate I would not go back
Other trip Jun 9, 2014
It was ok. Quality of breakfast was not what we expected.
3 night trip Aug 15, 2013
"close to what I needed"
The front desk was always friendly. My room was always clean. The motel/hotel was noise free and well kept
Other trip Aug 8, 2013
"Not as nice since new management."
We stayed for two nights. The night we got there our sheets were dirty and the room smelled a little like smoke. When we came back the 2nd day the room had not been cleaned again. We were not impressed with the cleanliness of hotel. The breakfast area could be improved too. They clean everything up before 9:00.
2 night trip Jul 22, 2013
"Weekend Trip"
I was told that I was getting a king size bed and what I actually got was a king size headboard with a queen size bed - the bed was bad and the mattress was like sleeping on a board. I would only go back if I had no other choice because it was also more expensive than many of the other hotels in the area but, sadly, they were all full.
Other trip Jul 15, 2013
"best place in the area"
We've stayed at this motel several times and the current managers are the best yet.
1 night business trip Jul 6, 2013
trudy & jon
Room was comfortable but housekeeping forgot us 3 of the 4 days we stayed. Had to ask for clean linens every night. Manager was not friendly at all. Kind of rude, actually. Breakfast has a jar of peanut butter for everyone to use instead of single servings. No fruit for breakfast either.
3 night trip Jun 23, 2013
"Shell Lake"
I wish there were more restaurant options, but Spooner is not too far. Lakeview bar/grill is a good choice right down the road.
3 night trip Oct 9, 2012
was very disapointed that there was no elevator, we had a room on the second floor. They had nothing available on the first, I asked. Breakfast was locked away at 9 AM sharp!!
1 night trip Aug 4, 2012
1 night romance trip Jul 11, 2015
Rodney
Other trip Dec 5, 2013

TripAdvisor reviews for AmeriVu Inn and Suites - Shell Lake

"FILTHY pool area, mediocre room & cheap EVERYTHING (except cost) -Good reviews are lies"
08/17/15 terribletres Kenosha, Wisconsin
I have tried several times over the years to enjoy this hotel. The pool has such potential to be so fun (not many hotels have slides for all ages) and the area is perfect since I have family nearby. I keep trying again based on good reviews I see, and I hope that management has changed and the hotel is better. It never is. For 5+ years, this hotel has sadly declined more and more. This visit was the worst as far as service and ESPECIALLY the lack of cleanliness. This was our LAST try. A 12-13 yr old checked us in. That could have actually been quite charming but for the fact that he was very rude and abrupt, and even argued with another guest at the hotel while barking the times of breakfast and pool hours at me. The pool area is absolutely FILTHY - clearly not maintained! MOLD, mildew and filth all over. "Hot" tub was a temperature you could bathe a newborn in, and I have never been to a pool area that completely lacked the smell of chlorine and had water that looked so murky. The sheets and pillows did not smell fresh/clean at all. Either they were not freshly washed, or they wash without soap. Poor excuse for a breakfast served 6a-9a and was mostly dollar store versions of little debbie snack cakes unwrapped on a tray, and powdered o.j., milk and coffee. No soap/shampoo in the bathrooms. Stained towels. No microwave as advertised. Door did not close/lock properly so the first time we left the room, we arrived back to find out anyone could have gone in our room while we were out. The only positives I could mention would be the size of the room was quite large, and it was quiet at night. Not worth the $150
"Not bad, but not real clean."
08/17/15 Candylee29 Duluth, Minnesota
The hotel was not as nice as the photos indicated. The main reason I went there was so my grand children could swim. The pool area was very dark, even on a sunny day. Had a nice set up for small kids with a kiddy pool and slide and also a couple larger slides in the bigger pool. The pool area was not real clean, water was a little murky in big pool. Our room was ok, I was greeted however by a very dirty pillow case on one of the pillows propped up on the bed, also our cord for the TV was missing, but we got that taken care of in a short amount of time. We ordered pizza from the hotel, pretty sure it was some type of frozen one, it was $12. With a little more attention to detail, this hotel could be very nice.
"Never again!"
08/16/15 10dmw57 Milwaukee, Wisconsin
I have never experienced such poor customer service before. We had multiple rooms (in town for a wedding). I was pretty much threatened by the Owner (I assume he was the owner) because we questioned too many times about our room rate. We were given one rate on the phone ($99 per night), then never received a confirmation, so we called again (a few days before our trip) and were then told the rate was one price for one night and a different price for the other 2 nights (Friday/Saturday) - we were not aware of that when we booked at all. As far as I know, I am the customer and can question about my rates as many times as I want without question. When we checked in (by a very young man - looked like he was 14 or 15), we were told it was $99 a night again, but the tax rate seemed to be $41 per night and he could not give me a detailed bill. I was put on the phone with someone - I don't have a clue who he was but assumed the owner - that's when I was told we called too many times and if we didn't like it we could leave (however I would have been charged). I never did get a detailed bill of any type - I couldn't wait to get out of there quick enough and never return. Then the FREE WiFi -- well that was no good either - I could not connect at all - I tried several devices and it never worked - they even did a reboot and it never work any day at all. Poor excuse for a breakfast - who puts HoHo's out for breakfast and orange drink (no orange juice). Towels were not clean, probably washed, but they looked dirty. Another family member experienced sheets that still had blood stains. The one nice person we experienced was the cleaning staff - she was so thoughtful and helpful. Other family members stayed at another hotel in Spooner (Best Western) and it was awesome. The customer service was above and beyond.
"Very clean, nice property"
07/28/15 rackops51 Vacaville, California
This is a pretty out of the way place, but I needed to stay somewhere and ended up here. Overall, I was pleasantly surprised. The front desk staff were friendly (almost too cheerful for the time of night!) and the room was well appointed and clean. The pool area looked pretty cool and if I were traveling with my kids, they would have loved it. I would stay here again.
"The entire hotel had a weird smell"
07/27/15 JoeVainer Cincinnati
I arrived at midnight and the staff there were nice. There was a hooka at the front desk and the whole place smelled odd like someone was cooking something weird. The bed was uncomfortable and the rooms needed to be updated. The room was very large though and the tv and air conditioner worked very well. I was sad that the continental breakfast ended so early (9am).
"Nice Stay"
07/18/15 MRKMRSK Dubuque
I was a bit apprehensive about my stay based on the number of negative reviews. I would take issue with most of these reviews, as I found the place to be clean and well maintained. The staff was very courteous and helpful. Is it as nice as higher end places I've stayed? Of course not. It's a small operation in rural Wisconsin. The breakfast was pretty weak and I would expect better. I would also expect wireless wifi. But overall, I thought it was much better than many of the reviews painted it. Some people need to lighten up.
"Good enough!"
06/21/15 db38 Northern Minnesota
We stayed here for a family wedding June 19 and 20 2015. Rooms were nice and big. Pool was good for grandkids, Only thing you could tell this was a family owned hotel. They tried to save money every way imaginable! Our fridge was not plugged in when we got there. No PB at breakfast and the cream cheese was in little containers and when they were gone, they were gone! The OJ was Sunny D, YUCK! Shampoo, etc was a joke. We would stay again only because they are the only hotel in Shell Lake!
"Just Fine"
06/20/15 Kate S Minneapolis, Minnesota
We came here after another lodging place "lost" our reservation. AmeriVu was fine--10:30pm last-minute check-in, 9:30am checkout. The mini-fridge was super loud but the rest of the hotel seemed quiet. We didn't eat breakfast or swim in the pool, but the room was clean and the beds were comfortable. $139 + tax seemed like a lot for the area, but we were desperate (after what the other, more affordable, place did to us), and everywhere else was booked--including the red-light-district-looking motel north on Hwy 63. There were a bunch of families swimming in the AmeriVu pool and playing on the kiddie slides as we were leaving, so that might be a plus for families with kids. Remember your suits.
"2 Stars at best...."
06/15/15 nicole f
After reading the reviews, I now know why it's a 2 star hotel. We booked because the best western was full in Spooner. Lobby was decent- cute northern charm. The pool murky- but has slides for the family. The Hot Tub was a luke warm tub- gross.Hotel room= GROSS. Beds hard as a rock, there was a giant hole where the pluming is- looked liked they fixed something and forgot to dry wall it back up. There was a plate of food still in our microwave- left from (hopefully) the person right before us. Stunk up the room. This place has the potential to be a great hotel, they just need to stop being soooo cheap and get better quality beds, linens. Beds were ROCK hard and Linens looked dirty, and worn out. We didn't even sleep on the pillows or the bedspread. They need to make the pool area more appealing-clean the water so you can see your feet (they were completely out of towels too) when asked for more towels we were told there weren't any? ummm okay. So they gave us rooms towels- which was fine- they should have just done that from the start. If I gave it a rating it would be ehhhhhhhhhh - stay at the best western. The breakfast was a JOKE, all Little Debbie foods=Swiss rolls, cinibons, etc. laid out on a sheet of parchment paper. Buy some cereal and bagels or something maybe even fruit. I paid more for this hotel then I did the other night downtown Minneapolis at a 5 star hotel...shakes head.
"The hotel from hell."
05/05/15 maggie l Palatine, Illinois
Screaming manager. Called us bigots. Lied about rooms being booked except for first floor in the loudest place. There were only 4 cars in the lot. We asked for a handicapped room for our grand child who has cerebral palsy. No such thing there according to him. We asked about the hotel chain management number so we could tell them about his horrible behavior. He refused and threatened to call the police if we did not leave the premises. Talk about a bad experience for a two year old to see someone yelling at his elderly grandparents.