All hotels in San Francisco, California, United States of America
You can collect Hotels.com® Rewards nights here863 Bush St, San Francisco, CA, 94108, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Definite pros and cons"
From the airport, we rode the BART to Powell St and then walked up to the hotel which was just fine for us. (There's an option to ride the cable car up Powell, if you don't want to walk up-hill and you're ok with carrying your suitcase/travel gear on the cable car.) The check-in process is very quick and simple. I was told at check-in that I had to authorize $50 from my cc for incidentals. No big deal, but I was surprised. The hotel as a whole is old. The first thing I noticed was that it smelled old. Additionally, it's old enough that when you walk down the hall every step is a creak. Kinda noisy. The elevator wasn't working; carrying a large suitcase up the narrow staircase was difficult. However, the room (#45) was very cute. Fireplace made the room cozy. The bathroom was clean and mostly functional. Both times I took a shower the water was warm for two minutes and then cool. Wasn't the best, but it worked. The open breakfast looked really good (eggs, different breads, fruits, yogurt). The downstairs layout for the breakfast is very inviting. I really liked that complimentary tea and bottled water were available 24/7. I wished the water supply was better stocked - half of the time, the refrig was empty. The staff replenished our towels without us asking which was nice but not necessary - we would have been happy to reuse our towels. For the most part, we enjoyed our stay but would probably find another place in the same area.
Other trip Apr 5, 2014
Olivia
"Good Honeymoon Experience"
My new wife and I were very pleased with our time at the Petite Auberge. The staff was very friendly, interactive, and helpful. The hotel provided a continental breakfast that saved us the hassle and cost of finding a place to eat every morning, and the food was diversified enough to provide you with something that you'd like. The room was small, which we expected, and the building was a little run down, which we also anticipated based on other reviews. The décor provided a small French cottage feel to the public spaces and the room, and I mean that in a very good way. Be aware that there isn't individual temperature control in the rooms, except for opening a window. The hotel is located close to downtown (Chinatown is a walkable distance, and there are good restaurants located nearby.) Taking a cab to or from the piers will cost you around $15 (around $11 + tip) for 2 people. The price for our room was reasonable, we had a very good experience at the hotel, we would stay there again, and we would recommend that you give it a try.
Other trip Mar 30, 2014
M&J
"Mr"
Quaint, delicious food, great hors d'ouevres, bottomless coffee/tea/snacks, amazing location, super-friendly staff (I ALWAYS got a great smile and happy service. My wife and I used this place as a bit of refuge in the afternoons, and we will certainly be back.
Other trip Mar 12, 2014
Matthew
"Think of it as a large B&B"
Read all the reviews before i went, so I was unsure what to expect. My room (#35) was large, comfortable bed, gas fireplace. Wonderful staff. Very nice free breakfast - real food, not the plastic-wrapped junk you get in a lot of chain hotels. Free wifi worked very well. View from the room was mediocre. Only complaint was that there was no desk/table, so the one night I carried in dinner I sat on the edge of the bed to use the only table.
3 night business trip Feb 23, 2014
Jeremy
"great little hotel"
Staff was very friendly & helpful. Hotel was a quaint European style. Great location. Would definitely stay there again.
2 night romance trip Feb 11, 2014
Tina
Quaint and charming. Friendly staff and excellent location. Standard room quite small so upgraded to a king room with street view and fireplace. Furniture a little tired but bed wonderful. Good breakfast and wine bar in evening.
1 night trip with friends Feb 9, 2014
"noise is ok"
I got an upgrade to a room with a fireplace. I am not into the rustic country french style but this made my stay feel very cozy.
Other trip Feb 11, 2014
"Enjoyed the quaintness of the Petite Auberge!"
Had a very enjoyable stay. Other than the inconvenience of having to find someone to open the door upon arrival, I thoroughly enjoyed my stay. Will definitely recommend it to anyone wanting a bit of "Provence" during thier stay in SF. Byron D. Donics
1 night business trip Feb 5, 2014
Byron D .Donics
"Good stay"
Note the desk is not staffed 24 hrs. You need to go next door to the sister property for after hours service. Otherwise good.
2 night trip Feb 4, 2014
"Very nice family hotel"
The staff does everything to make your stay as pleasant as possible. Great service, free soda's, fruits in the lobby and outstanding breakfast is provided. The hotel is older, a little squeaky and noisy, but very charming. Reminding me of hotels in Northern France. I appreciated having a fireplace in the room much more then I expected. It made it very cosy. The hotel is located slightly higher on a hill, so older people and those with walking problems should note that the climb may be a little steep. But that is what San Francisco is known for...
Other trip Feb 3, 2014
Cassido
"Affordable alternative close to Union Square"
The Petite Auberge is an old hotel with a creaky old elevator, but it is reminiscent of many European hotels and is very comfortable. The wine reception downstairs is very welcoming and the breakfast was quite good.
Other trip Jan 31, 2014
Ellie
"very quaint with European Charm"
Old fashioned charm and comfort. Nice breakfast to start day.
5 night business trip Jan 20, 2014
"wonderful find"
Stayed 2 nights at Petite Auberge. The hotel felt like a nice bed and breakfast. The room was not large by American standards, perhaps, but very clean and comfortable, decorated "country style" with a fireplace. Staff was very friendly and helpful. Loved the hotel breakfast. A varied, large spread with different selections on the two mornings. A cozy sitting area off the dining room offered tea and coffee through the day as well as complimentary cookies and soft drinks. No hotel parking. There is valet service but opted to self park at a nearby garage instead. Walking distance to Union Square, shops and restaurants. Would definitely stay at the Petite Auberge on a return visit.
Other trip Jan 16, 2014
mandy
"Taste of France"
Edith Piaf with the delicious free breakfast and a working fireplace in the room. Will definitely return.
3 night trip Jan 9, 2014
"Hidden Treasure"
This trip to SF was a second time for the Outside Lands Festival. This time we booked a small hotel in place of the "corporate" standby and not only saved a little money, but enjoyed the intimate style much more! Location didn't matter much; there are jewels like this nearby too. We really needed a good clean and safe place to lay our weary selves after a day of great music, and we got it! Thanks to Petit Auberge for a delightful stay!
4 night trip with friends Aug 8, 2013
Erv
"Great location, good breakfasts"
We like the location, two blocks from Union Square where all municipal transportation is. The Muni is the most efficient to get almost anywhere in the entire city. It is comfortable, has great breakfasts, evening wine and snacks, and is easily accessible to many restaurants and stores. The elevator is nice, but easy to use stairs also.
Other trip Jan 1, 2014
Clark
"Loved it!"
We absolutely loved this hotel. So much charm. We actually loved our time in the hotel. Wonderful breakfast, wine and appetizers, cookies, friendly staff all added up to a great stay! Highly recommend.
2 night family trip Dec 24, 2013
it was comfortable and the breakfast and greeting wine and hummus were such a lovely surprise.
Other trip Dec 29, 2013
"Perfect for SF visit"
Hotel is very charming, everything you need is there (even fresh cookies)! Very convienientely located and easy to get to anything you want to see in San Fransisco. We'll stay there again
1 night trip Dec 19, 2013
Steve and Lori
"Sweet Spot"
Petite yes, but the price was right. Staff wonderfully friendly.
2 night trip Dec 20, 2013
Gina
"Great central location, loads of personality"
I never write reviews but I had such a wonderful stay at Petite Auberge, I felt like I owed them. The location is about as central as you can get in San Francisco, at the top of the hill, close to streetcar stops you can actually get on (bottom of the hill has a long wait) and a short walk to Chinatown. The hotel has incredible charm, beautiful rooms (highly recommend you go for a fireplace), a great breakfast and I even found a place to park one night right on the street in front (don't count on that, but you won't find it anywhere else downtown either). If you like to stay someplace that's not run-of-the-mill, you just found your hotel.
1 night business trip Dec 16, 2013
"Charming!"
What a delightful find! I took the old-fashioned elevator (with a gate) up to the fifth floor. My room was large (unusual for San Francisco), and furnished with vintage pieces. I flipped what I thought was a light switch and the fireplace came on! Downstairs in the cozy parlor, I joined other guests by the fire for a glass of wine, an assortment of cheeses and homemade cake. Everyone was enjoying each others company, so the staff did not hurry to clear the goodies at 6:30. In the morning, the complementary breakfast included a fantastic homemade quiche, fruit, yogurt and pastries. I felt as though I was a guest in a lovely old French inn. I'll be back.
2 night business trip Dec 2, 2013
K. P.
"Wonderful Small Hotel"
The Petite Auberge is an amazing small hotel/bed and breakfast near Union Square/Nob Hill/Chinatown in San Francisco. The room we had - a queen with fireplace - was at the back on the top floor and relatively quiet. Great staff; super breakfasts and wonderful happy hour in the afternoon with local wines and amazing appetizers at which we were able to meet many interesting people from all over the world. We will definitely stay there again should the opportunity come up.
Other trip Dec 6, 2013
"A great place to stay"
This was a great place to stay. The staff was kind, courteous, The breakfast was quite nice. The location perfect
1 night trip Dec 1, 2013
"Small Boutique Hotel near Union Square."
Overall, this hotel is pretty good for the price for San Francisco. It's about 5 blocks from Union Square and about 8 blocks to China Town. The street the hotel is on is a little run down, but not too bad. The hotel itself is in a very old bldg. The facilities, shall we say, are rustic. It's kind of like a B&B in a small apartment bldg. If you are looking for modern and sleek, this hotel is not for you. But the hotel offers alot for the price (compared to other San Fran hotels). Because the hotel is small, the staff can be very helpful. Each room has a fireplace, which was kind of neat. The included buffet breakfast was excellent and easily worth $15-20 per person if you bought it at a restaurant. The happy hour hor d' oerves and wine were also very good and also worth at least $15-$25 per person if you had to pay for it. Keep that in mind when comparing prices to other hotels. The dining/happy hour area is intimate so you will get a chance to chat with other guests and compare notes on things to do in San Fran - this was a plus. On our last day we checked out at noon but our flight back east was not until 10pm. The hotel held our luggage for us. They even let us come back to the hotel during happy hour and enjoy the wine and snacks once last time before we departed for the airport.
Other trip Nov 29, 2013
"Petit Auberge"
Clean, cute, comfy, quaint and friendly. Our stay at PA was excellent and I will recommend this hotel to all of my friends. The staff was friendly, the wine reception was excellent as was the complementary breakfast. Not to mention that our parking was included in the price. The hotel is close to Union Square, Nob Hill and China Town. My only complant was that the gas fireplace was sputtering. Not bad for under $200.00 per night.
Other trip Nov 25, 2013
Tina
"Charming & great breakfast!"
I enjoyed it and loved the fireplace and breakfast.
3 night trip Nov 8, 2013
Scott Ludwick
"Just what we wanted"
We stayed four days at Petite Auberge. It was exactly what we were looking for-close to restaurants and public transportation. We were treated well by all staff who were exceptionally friendly and helpful. The room was nice and the fireplace was a special touch. The recommendations for dining were excellent. We especially enjoyed the delicious cookies as well as the wine and snacks in the afternoon. these are all very nice touches which make this a unique and enjoyable hotel. We would stay here or at the White Swan next time we are in SF. Look forward to returning.
Other trip Nov 10, 2013
"enjoyable stay"
I liked the hotel room, breakfast is great, and the afternoon snack and fruit very convenient and comforting. The hotel environment is nicely different than the "chain hotels". I recommend it.
3 night business trip Oct 27, 2013
Busy Traveler
"Return visit to the Petite Auberge"
I had stayed at the Petitie Auberge ten years ago and loved it so much that I was thrilled to spend a week there this year. It is just as charming as I had remembered and so enjoy the extra ammenities that the Inn offers. One of my favorites is the wine and snack time in the late afternoon - what a great opportunity to share experiences with fellow travelers if you wish. The cozy gathering area with fireplace ablaze is a nice relaxing moment before an evening out. The breakfast is always wonderfully prepared and a great start to a busy day. The Inn is so ideally located - within walking distance to many sites or to a cablecar stop. The staff is amazing - always doing their best to meet your needs. I love Tina and Andy! Chef Joel is a treasure too! I am already dreaming of my next trip there and the Petite Auberge will be my choice again. I have raved about it to all the friends - it was one of the highlights of my trip.
Other trip Nov 3, 2013
Rose
"Great location for touring San Francisco."
Didn't want to leave my room. Lovely. Excellent food and wonderful to meet fellow travelers.
Other trip Nov 2, 2013
"fantastic staff"
The staff was so friendly and helpful from the valet car service to check in to all the service staff. Loved the "happy hour" reception and excellent breakfast. Our only disappointment was that we were expecting a room with a fireplace as our traveling partners had for their room. For the same cost we had an extremely small room/bathroom, no fireplace and a TV that we couldn't swivel around far enough to see while sitting on the bed.
1 night trip Oct 19, 2013
"Great hotel. Great staff. Very helpful. Would rec"
Wonderful can't say enough good about our room and the service. It's quaint older style was a perfect start to our long awaited vacation. Loved it
Other trip Oct 23, 2013
Becky
"Oldie But Very Goodie"
Hotel staff is friendly and attentive. Andy recommended several restaurants and others helped us with reservations. I had special (and early) valet needs and the staff met them all! Easy walking distance to great restaurants, trolleys, and Chinatown. The room was comfy, the daily cookies and wine are wonderful, and I loved the breakfasts and daily newspapers. This is our second stay here, and will come back when I return to San Fran.
Other trip Oct 22, 2013
"Charming, creaky little place"
Maybe it's because I grew up in an old house, but I found the place very cozy. The bathroom was pretty small, and the shower very cramped, but everything was clean and lovely. The walls are pretty thin, and the floors very creaky, so it wasn't the quietest of stays, but I don't mind that, either. The breakfast was much better than most complimentary breakfasts; almost B&B-quality, even though it was a serve-yourself setup.
Other trip Oct 15, 2013
"bent over backwards"
Very cute, but old, comfortable and staff couldn't have done more to please us. Breakfast was excellent and got us off to a good start in the AM fast, satisfying and changed slightly every morning. Happy hour was a nice touch, interesting talking to foreign travelers from Germany, and England. Close to China Town and available cable cars and buses. I would definitely stay again.
3 night trip Sep 17, 2013
"Sweet little home in the city"
Comfy little couches surrounding a gas fireplace, wine and interesting hors d'oevres for happy hour. A superb breakfast. Get a room with a fireplace. Great location
Other trip Sep 15, 2013
Eileen
"Old hotel, charming"
Breakfast was good, staff was friendly but no reception desk to help you, hotel old and amenities outdated.
Other trip Sep 5, 2013
"Great hotel in the heart of San Francisco"
This was a great hotel located near Union Square. It was a comfortable room and quiet for the heart of the city. The cocktail hour and complimentary breakfast were very nice. They offered free water and soft drinks which was great. Rooms are maybe a bit small, but definitely comfortable. Absolutely recommend!
Other trip Aug 27, 2013
"Small but Good"
It's a very small hotel, operated as part of a pair with the equally small one next door, which has an English theme in contrast to the French on at Petite Auberge. The people who work the desk are infinitely helpful and pleasant. My room (a "cozy queen") was so cozy that there was no room for a desk or anyplace to put a laptop, The shower stall was so small I could barely turn around. But everything was clean and quiet, the bed was very comfortable, and the basements in both hotels are used to serve a very good free breakfast and then there's fresh coffee, couches, and work spaces down there all day long. I wrote down there for two days.
Other trip Aug 14, 2013
Timothy
"Hotel with a B&B feel and good location."
Our room was neat and clean but cramped by American standards. Unfortunately we had a view of a residential building across a small alley. A warmer than usual week with no a/c made opening the windows at night necessary and noisy. Pass if you are a light sleeper though there was a white noise machine in the room that helped a great deal. The staff was very helpful and congenial. We really liked the breakfast rooms and the breakfast. We were sorry to have missed the meet and greet wine get together held each night.
Other trip Aug 11, 2013
joe
"A cute French place for vacation"
It is a charming place with clean room, nice breakfast / afternoon beverage and friendly staff. Had a pleasant stay.
Other trip Jun 22, 2013
"Safe & friendly at Nob Hill, easy walk to Muni"
My husband & I wanted to explore the city for a week using public transportation. This hotel was just right for feeling "at home" quickly. Breakfast & coffee were especially good. The staff were all very helpful. The bed was comfortable & linens were nice, though sometimes small holes were beginning to show in sheets & there were a few spots on the carpet. Not too shabby, it felt cozy. We stayed for 6 nights. I appreciated that it was very quiet at night. I would return, even though there is no view from the rooms.
Other trip Jun 19, 2013
Candace
"close to China Town"
Place was okay but no A/C and I got the front room which was spacious but got all the traffic noise making it hard to sleep
1 night trip Jun 14, 2013
JennyH
"Noisy. Extremely thin walls and floor, no AC"
I originally booked a two-night state at Petite Auberge and was forced to leave after the first night because it was impossible to get a good night's sleep. Around 9pm, I went to sleep in my room and was awoken around midnight by a combination of street noise from a nearby nightclub, a loud creaking floor from the guest above me, and the heat and stuffiness of the room, which didn't have air conditioning. I requested a room change, which the staff courteously obliged. My second room initially seemed better - less street noise - but then I realized I could hear my neighbor loudly snoring *through* the wall! I have never experienced this in a hotel of any price, and I've stayed in some extremely cheap roadside accommodations. I slept very little through the night and checked out early. Petite Auberge has agreed to refund my second night, although it hasn't been processed yet. If this hotel had been a budget destination, I could have put up with not sleeping, but the price was way, way too high for what I experienced. I switched to the Marriott Marquis for a lower rate for my second night in SF and was much happier there.
Response by Petite Auberge
Thank you for taking the time to share your experience with us, and for your kind comments regarding our staff during your stay. I am sorry to hear that we weren't able to resolve this for you during your evening with us, and we sincerely hope you enjoyed your visit to San Francisco.
Other trip Jun 10, 2013
Brendan
"Great location - will be back"
We really enjoyed our stay. Front desk staff including Cora and young gentleman were incredibly helpful , providing directions, bus routes and such. Joel, the breakfast chef, was cheerful and provided a tasty meal to start the day. Coffe, tea , bottled water, fresh fruit, and homemade cookies provided all day long. Very nice! We will be back.
Other trip Jun 8, 2013
"A jewel in the heart of city"
What a lovely experience! This intimate, charming facility was a delightful oasis in the heart of San Francisco. I can't stop talking about the personal service, beautiful accommodations, and delightful experience we had at Petit auberge. We loved the quaint elevator, the delcious breakfasts, and the camraderie we experienced at the vening receptions. The room fireplace was a romantic bonus. We've decided that Petit Auberge will be our hotel of choice when visiting our favorite city.
Other trip Jun 3, 2013
Janet
"Weekend getaway"
We were very happy with the staff,we were give an upgrade as when they saw my size 6'4", the original room would not work. We were very happy with the result and would have been very unhappy with the room that was proposed. The hotel is old but not in bad shape. It is fairly convenient to tourist transportation and destinations.
2 night trip with friends May 18, 2013
"Delightful"
It was my second time at Le Petit Auberge. The most outstanding features are the staff and the generosity of the amenities. It's an older hotel, but the management does everything possible to distract us from that fact! Good quality shampoo/soap etc, free water and soda, Euro style breakfast with good food choices, friendly staff, convenient valet parking set up... those things make us feel good as guests! It feels like I'm staying in a Boarding House from the 19th century! I'll be back.
4 night trip May 16, 2013
ellen
"Nice New Find!"
The Petite & White Swan are 'sister' hotels that have some old world charm. My 'usual suspects' of SF haunts were all booked for a last minute trip I took to catch a show, so went with this based on reviews. Great comfy room, got a free upgrade to a fireplace room. It's a bit old school (classic SF/NY caged elevator, even) but good!
1 night trip May 14, 2013