All hotels in Avila Beach, California, United States of America

Delicious food
    Great amenities
    Decent vibe
"Won't return"
I've stayed here before, but won't return. The place and front desk help were wonderful, but the owner left a very negative impression. I was traveling with a service dog in training from Guide Dogs of America (seeing eye dogs). While service dogs are allowed, it's up to the individual establishment if the want to allow service dogs in training. Knowing this, I call all hotels and restaurants ahead of time and ask if they're ok with service animals in training. I called the Inn at Avila Beach the day before my reservation, explained what I was traveling with, and asked if she was allowed. They were very nice and said she'd be fine there. When I checked in, they greeted me by name, and said they had notes that I was traveling with the dog. Great room, wonderful service until the owner stopped us in the lobby after dinner. He made it clear we were not welcome and would not be allowed to stay another night. I explained to him that I had called in advance for an ok, to which he said that they were wrong. He was very rude, condescending, and completely lacking in customer service. If there was a miscommunication with his staff, that should have been dealt with between them, not by talking down to a paying customer in the lobby. As I was walking away, I over heard him telling front desk to make sure I didn't stay another day. I won't return, and I won't ever recommend this place to anyone again.
1 night trip with friends Jan 25, 2015
"Great location and view ."
Hotel from outside does not look like much. Some rooms have been updated. Very nice updated room. Love to see hotel when all rooms and outside gets updated. Great location.
1 night romance trip Jan 9, 2015
"Sunset in Avila Beach"
The best thing about the Avila Inn is the sun deck at the top of the building. This is the best spot to see the sunset in Avila Beach. The hotel is under renovation for a much needed update. When you make a reservation, ask for a room with new updates.
2 night romance trip Jan 2, 2015
Silvia
"Great hotel on a nice quiet beach"
We stayed for 2 nights listening to lulling ocean waves crashing right across the street. Hotel is in a great location with a great view and deck overlooking the ocean. Hotel has a very friendly and welcoming staff. They let us look at rooms at check-in and let us choose our choice of room. Overall our stay was very relaxing and just what we were looking for. Once we checked in we were able to walk everywhere in this quaint little town and did not need to get back in car once.
Other trip Dec 31, 2014
Steel
"Paradise"
The receptionist and maintence men were exceptional. The maids did not return our smiles or thank you's. Maybe they were having d bad day. The front desk women were so accommodating and lovely. The construction was a bit distracting but we understand its all for the improvement. We will b back
Other trip Dec 30, 2014
"Great little town, not so great hotel."
While Availa Beach is a great little location, this hotel was not so great. I liked the mexican beach decor with bright colored walls and mexican pottery everywhere but the rooms were not so comfortable. The beds were incased in a wood frame which made it difficult for me to get in and out of bed. The room was to dark for me although there were lots of lamps every where it was still very dim. There are no elevators which didn't help my bad knees any since our room was on the 3rd floor plus I didnt feel real safe on their stair ways. They seem weathered and not very stable. I do want to say that the staff was very friendly and they put out some delicious pie with coffee in the evenings.
1 night trip with friends Dec 10, 2014
eleanor
"Close to a beach .."
Very nice place and good looking model. It's hot spa. Two thumbs.
Other trip Dec 11, 2014
"Pleasant surprise"
Having been to Avila beach and the San Luis area many times this is the fist time I have stayed at the Inn at Avila. I could not have been more pleased. Location is perfect, right across the street from the beach and next to the hub of shops. The modern spa room we stayed in was recently renovated and WOW what and amazing job was done in the remodel. The room had a jetted hot tub, comfortable bed, beautiful woodwork, gas fireplace and stand up rainfall shower. The paint in the room and windows could use some touch up but that is being a bit picky. The staff was incredibly friendly, they even have complementary pie nightly at 8pm. I will definitely be staying here again.
1 night romance trip Dec 7, 2014
"Great time!"
I really loved our time there! The room was decorated very nicely and was very comfortable… I loved the little homey extras like homemade pie and ice cream served in the evening and fresh baked cookies all day long! I liked that they used the "old fashioned" real keys for the doors and didn't have phones in the rooms. I also loved that the Inn is right across from the beach and the community in Avila beach is so laid back and everything is in walking distance…. Joe Momma's coffee is at the opposite corner and we loved having coffee and scones there! I would say that the only thing that could be a downfall is the appearance of the outside of the Inn. In an old picture I saw of Avila beach it looked like it is actually an old Motel, but they did do a great deal in the redecoration of the rooms.
1 night romance trip Dec 5, 2014
Katherine
"Felt right at home!"
We stay in Avila all of the time, and this was by far our best experience! It's our new favorite place to relax and enjoy the beach. The staff is so friendly and makes you feel right at home. We loved the comfortable vibe of this hotel as it feels more like a B&B... comfortable and clean rooms with great scenery, and no hassle at all- they make your stay so easy and worry free!
1 night romance trip Dec 5, 2014
Kanda
"great location super friendly staff"
Greated by very friendly staff. Showed us everything the hotel had to offer. Cookies and pie alamode. Who could ask for more.
gangle
"bday trip"
It was Amazing best trip ever.The sun deck was my favorite part
1 night romance trip Nov 11, 2014
Allison
"Some may like it, others will not"
The Good: The managers/owners make you feel a home, are extremely friendly, and make an honest effort to make you feel at home. There are several B&B style offerings such as free cookies, DVDs, citrus infused water, pie, etc. There is a neat rain shower head in the shower area. The location could not be better for the Avila Beach. The Odd: The rooms are an eclectic style. About 10 rooms have ocean view the rest only have a window facing an inner atrium/parking area. Lighting was dim and the room is styled with dark wood, so the darkness can be depressing. The shower area was a large room (about 1/3 the size of the sleeping area) behind a sliding rustic wooden door. Was hard to find initially. The Bad: The door to the room barely latches shut and does not seal well leaving air and light gaps. The lock is a simple key style (not even a security style key). The window to the atrium/parking area is single pane. In combination with the door the window allows you to hear every little noise (the good thing about this is that if everything else is quiet you can hear the ocean which is across the street). If you are on the lower level you also hear everything on the floor above.
1 night romance trip Nov 13, 2014
We liked the location of the hotel, but it's old and the newly remodeled rooms are not as nice as the pictures show.
Other trip Oct 28, 2014
"Very Relaxing"
We really enjoyed this hotel. The location is wonderful, right on the water. The hotel staff was friendly and helpful. The cookies were our downfall, delicious! Would absolutely love to come back to spend time on the rooftop deck! Will make sure to book an ocean front room next time. :)
1 night romance trip Oct 19, 2014
"Any closer and you would be in the waves!"
Overlooking the most spectacular ocean views on the Central Coast! Friendly, helpful staff, hot chocolate chip cookies, coffee, tea, water, hot chocolate and micro popcorn throughout the day AND a selection of hot pies and ice cream at night! You can check out video tapes! LP's, yes you read it right, LP's, books etc. Oh, and don't miss going up to the sun deck, where you can see the entire Avila Bay or lounge in a hammock or the plentiful outdoor seating. You can also BBQ if you are so inclined.
Other trip Oct 15, 2014
Cherokee
"Weekday getaway"
Great location across the street from the beach. Room was clean despite renovation of hotel in process. Staff was very friendly and helpful.
1 night romance trip Oct 6, 2014
"rustic and comfortable,can not get closer to beach"
great
1 night trip with friends Oct 10, 2014
Doc
Location is perfect. The hotel is a little dated, but it offers many choices of rooms such as family rooms, ocean views, and spa rooms. Guest are treated to an 8 PM managers reception with coffee, tea and fresh-baked pie with ice cream. Water bottles are complementary and they have warm chocolate chip cookies in lobby throughout the day. Board games and movies are available to check out for hotel guests. DVD, VCR and iPod docks are all included in rooms. Beach toys, boogie boards, chairs and umbrella are also available for hotel guest to use. I am looking forward to my next stay.
2 night business trip Oct 6, 2014
Happy
"Great for Beach Goers"
Both my wife and I have high marks for all the staff at the Inn at Avila Beach. From the time of check in to when we checked out the front staff made us feel like royalty. I want to especially thank Lori who checked us in, she was remarkable and seemed like to task was to high for her make us feel at home. The cleanliness of the hotel and rooms are spotless. I guess one of the best amenities is the deck on the roof of the hotel, man "what a view". The extras, such as the hammocks, tables, chairs and bar b q set up were amazing. No doubt we will be there next year again. Thanks
1 night trip Oct 7, 2014
Raymond
"Beach hotel"
Staff very accommodating. Decorations are not cookie-cutter--gloriously funky I'd call them. Some remodelling going on with construction noise but the check-in agent assured us that the noise would stop by 5 p.m., which it did. Very clean room. Missing some of the literature (wi-fi and cable info). Staff apologized for this. We would stay here again.
Other trip Oct 3, 2014
Cager
"Ocean view room with balcony amazing"
great view of the bay! Balcony was perfect I'll be back
1 night business trip Sep 21, 2014
"Location, Location, Location"
Loved the Inn.
1 night trip Sep 6, 2014
Shane
"There is some room maintenance that is required."
Overall experience is good, and we thoroughly enjoy the ocean front rooms.
Other trip Sep 8, 2014
"Family Trip"
overall the hotel is a little dated...staff very friendly & helpful....would stay again
2 night family trip Aug 28, 2014
"Very close to beach infancy on the beach!"
The rom was tired and in need of a new bathroom and some window repair. We felt it was not great value for money but served its purpose for us well.
Other trip Aug 22, 2014
chris
"Small town stay"
I was hoping for more when I booked this, especially for the price. The main areas were great-a video/game/book library for use, warm cookies and free popcorn in a cute and warm area of the inn. However, our room was not updated. The shower looked dirty but I think it was just so old. It is right on the water and close to the small Avila beach area. If our room was nicer, it would have been fine.
1 night romance trip Aug 11, 2014
Jennifer W
"Close to beach and boardwalk.."
While the location is 5 stars the overall hotel seems like upgraded Motel 6. Customer service and hospitality makes this a 5 star. We had room 200 in the back no view but it was a $230 rate so on beach this was affordable. Room was clean and comfy and mixture of tile upgrades with old dated. Serve pie and icecream at 8:00 pm and by 8:30 it's gone. Not sure if they bring more out. Felt safe traveling with kid. Evan, young hotel employee super nice and went above, gave us a ride back to SLO as no shuttle service around. Top roof has a huge common place with hammocks, comfy seating, BBQ. Have Movie DVD , games, beach toys, chairs and umbrella on honor system. Overall I would come back and if reasonably priced stay on the street with a beach view.
Other trip Aug 13, 2014
Grammy
"Across from beach"
The hotel itself seems nice but we were in an older room which looked absolutely nothing like any of the rooms on the website. Apparently many of the rooms have been renovated. Our room looked like it hadn't been touched up in 20-30 years with peeling paint and dirty walls. I complained and they gave me a discount the next morning but it was completely misleading to end up in a room like that.
1 night family trip Aug 7, 2014
Rita
Room had minimal ventilation (one window that was difficult to open), no A/C. The fan in the room did not help much. Staff was nice but the whole property needed some cleaning up and updating. Overpriced.
Other trip Aug 1, 2014
"Great place!"
Amazing place, I will definitely be back.
1 night trip Jul 27, 2014
Sydney
"unsatisfied"
Poor customer service and still havent given my welcome rewards
2 night trip Jun 19, 2014
Valerie
"Throwback to the '60s with a modern flair"
This is not your typical hotel. The hotel looks like something you would see in an Annette Funicello/Frankie Avalon flick, which if you look in their film library, is probably there. It is a unique mixture of the past and the present. We stayed in an oceanfront room on the second floor. Incredible view, but a little close to the street. The bathroom was newly renovated and the room was clean and roomy. The t.v. was a very large flat-screen that looked like 3-D, but was connected to a VCR/DVD combo so that you could watch movies from the a fore mentioned library. If music is more your thing, the room also had a record player with plenty of albums available for your listening pleasure. It took a day to get into to the groove of the place,but soon found that I had fallen in love with the quirkiness of the whole experience. It resembles the uniqueness of Avila, a small, quaint beach community without one chain store, restaurant, or hotel. Front Street is the main drag and it isn't that big. We found ourselves truly relaxing into the rhythm of the waves outside our window and the town. The pie and the cookies served to guests daily were a wonderful perk and the staff was awesome. You have to put yourself in the right frame of mind to appreciate this hotel. It does not have all of the amenities that a new hotel has (no elevator, phones, a/c), but it has that throwback charm that will make you think you were meeting Moondoggie and Gidget on the beach. Can't wait to return!
Other trip Jul 26, 2014
Julia
"comfortable, quiet and relaxing"
Perfect location.... so perfect at night you can hear the ocean waves crashing, which put us right to sleep. Take note...the building is old and the only way up to our room was by stairs. It was tiring carrying our suitcases up to the 3rd floor. . Free movies / DVD & VHS to take to your room along with goodies in the kitchen. The staff was friendly and attentive. Therefore, 4 Big Stars.
Other trip Jul 22, 2014
Helen
"Great location, great service"
Parking was tight , and they were obviously remodeling....but the room was updated & spa like. Very cute & very relaxing. Had a Bed & Breakfast feel... Fresh baked cookies, coffee, tea, water served all day, fresh baked pie served every night @ 8:30. Dvd & game library available free of charge also. The staff was so friendly & accommodating & the hotel was located directly across from the beach. I will definitely be going back!!
3 night business trip Jul 14, 2014
M. Leal
"Friendly people, old hotel"
The staff was very nice but the rooms are not in good shape. I wouldn't stay here again.
1 night business trip Jul 3, 2014
"Nice place, but overpriced."
Arrived Wednesday evening and one of the 1st comments was too bad you booked thru a 3rd party. We were given a room in the back of the hotel overlooking the courtyard which was serving as the storage area for construction materials. About 10pm a group of young people arrived with a keg of beer and began a party 2 rooms down. We requested a room change due to the party noise and were accommodated with a ocean view room, but needed to move rooms again the next day. They did keep us in an ocean view at no price increase. Parking is very close quarters and we left with 3 door dings from the SUV that decided to park next to our car.
Other trip May 25, 2014
Jeff & Karen
"Great location."
The staff was incredibly helpful in every way. Cookies anytime, and delicious pie every evening! The Inn is being remodeled so there was construction but workmen were considerate and it didn't impact our stay. The Inn is casual and folksy.
Other trip May 15, 2014
The daily Fresh baked goods were a nice addition to the Inn's hospitality.
1 night trip Mar 23, 2014
"Love Avila Beach"
It was really great - beautiful views of sunset on Beach - village is charming - hotel staff was friendly and accommodating.
1 night romance trip Jan 2, 2014
Ynut
"hotle is being remodeled"
The place is in a great location, but when I arrived the guy who was there told me they didn't have any room with double beds, so he offered to upgrade me to a suite with a partial view and a king bed and a futon. I took it, but the place is being remodeled, and they shouldn't advertise something they can't offer, since they are renovating. The room was OK, but its paper thin walls, you hear everything as people walk around. I suppose it will be nice when its remodeled, but for now it is average at best.
Other trip Feb 1, 2014
"Christmas Day at Avila Beach"
Nice place. Great views. Friendly staff. But they double billed us because the holiday staff couldn't figure out we paid by hotels.com.
1 night business trip Dec 25, 2013
"the best is yet to come"
Bad news: the rooms are old. The good news is they are upgrading them. Location is great. You can hear the ocean at night. Staff is wonderful. Now finish upgrading all of the rooms.
1 night trip Dec 18, 2013
The ocean view was the best!!
1 night trip Dec 19, 2013
Sherry
Room was adequate but old and not so clean. Old coffee filter left in coffee maker. Rips on sofa and the shower was stripped down to the fiberglass. The bed was comfortable. The veiw was nice but it didn't outweigh the needed updates.
1 night trip Dec 15, 2013
Jackie
Great place to hear the beach all night long. Staff was very friendly and had fresh baked cookies when we got there. I will be going agian and staying longer
1 night trip Dec 10, 2013
"Nice and cozy ocean view hotel"
Actually its my first time to go there and stayed at the hotel, I really find it nice and cozy that makes u really feel relaxed and comfy especially u got a good view of the ocean on your rooms balcony. I highly recommend this hotel for couples especially the ocean front view rooms.
Other trip Nov 28, 2013
derrick
"Nice and cozy ocean view hotel"
Other trip Nov 28, 2013
derrick
"Loved it!"
We had a fabulous stay! I travel from LA to the central coast every couple of months and have stayed at many hotels in the area. This stay was particularly great. The women who checked us in were so nice and even offered us an upgraded oceanfront room because there was some construction going on in the building (we never even heard it). The bed was heavenly, the room was very clean and comfortable. Not only was there coffee in the room, but they also left a bag of popcorn on the microwave.
1 night trip Nov 14, 2013
Rachel
"Fantastic location!"
This hotel was very homey! rooms were comfortable and my view room could not be beat. Pie every night at 8pm was a nice gathering and social time. Third floor room provided exercise since there is no elevator. Sun deck was an unexpected treat!
Other trip Nov 14, 2013