All hotels in Honolulu, Hawaii, United States of America
444 Niu Street, Honolulu, HI, 96815, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

2.8
    2.5
"A much needed trip"
It was our first time in a hotel around Waikiki. We usually stay with families when we come to Honolulu. This time we decided to try staying at a hotel and we enjoyed our time there. Of course, we visited our families but it felt good coming back to sleep in the privacy of your own rented room. If we ever come back, I will definitely do the same, hopefully I don't have to pay for parking this time. Anyhow, we enjoyed it very much.
5 night romance trip Mar 30, 2015
Hotel was dirty and old nothing like the pictures, staff was rude
Other trip Apr 20, 2015
Veronica
"Never again ,it was my mistake ......."
Hawaiian Monarch was a disappointment ,the check in was good ,the room in bad need of being upgraded,and the fact that there are so many people who lives there and despite the no smoking residents were smoking at the front of the hotel .Just too much going on at this place with local residents and then visitors but i felt safe .One thing i had to check was they told me they one give one soap and one shampoo and conditioner that did not settled good with me so i got just what i asked for two of each .The front desk and housekeeping staffs were really nice and helpful.There is no Wifi in the rooms so you often saw people in the so call lobby with their phones and laptops ,not a good sight .So i had to purchased a router for 10 days in order to stay in my room with Wifi .This hotel don't offer a lot but despite that i enjoyed my vacation on the island ,i would not stay or recomment this hotel to anyone .
10 night trip Apr 5, 2015
Jerbean
"You get what you pay for."
Ok, if you have to just sleep. Not the best room or area.
1 night family trip Apr 11, 2015
Front desk personnel friendly and helpful. Room was clean. Rate was good.
Other trip Apr 12, 2015
Average. Room was cleaned daily. Bad traffick when driving to and out of hotel area. Leave early if catching a flight.
Other trip Apr 7, 2015
I was pleasantly surprised by this hotel. For a 2 starts hotel, I think this is an excellent choice. Some in the hotel staff was not nice at all, but this was not the case for everyone. The bed had some dirty spots, which was not so pleasing. We loved that the hotel had grills, so we could cook our own food some nights. Also the rooms had microwave, coffee machine and a little fridge. Overall, very pleasantly surprised!
Other trip Mar 26, 2015
Maria
"Depressing over priced lodging at edge of Waikiki"
This is mid 70s construction, a condominium with some hotel rooms. It is shabby and has the ambience of a single room occupancy hotel on Manhattan's West Side in the 70s or early 80s. The carpets are filthy, the mattress needs replacement, the bath tub was peeling and the tv didn't receive at least one basic channel. Far from beach. One bus route nearby but bus to Ala Moana is a bit far.
Other trip Mar 24, 2015
"Good for the price!"
We didnt stay in our room much as we spent our trip exploring the island and on the beach, but overall it was an okay experience. After reviewing the prices for the nicer hotels, this hotel is what we needed for our budget.
5 night romance trip Mar 16, 2015
"it was an OK stay"
They need WiFi in the whole building instead of just at the front desk. besides parking was twe nty bucks a day. other than that the stay itself was worth it. I had a great view from the 21st floor over the city and it was very close to everything in Honolulu.
7 night business trip Mar 9, 2015
Hotel in terrible condition, dirty and smelly room.
Other trip Mar 21, 2015
Mariana
"Nice time in Hawaii"
Had a nice time .clecks at counter not friendly.pluming problems two days in a row
Other trip Mar 18, 2015
cal
"hardly there to say was mostley out side and abot"
when i was there it was quiet and clean. relaxing. air was working fine, shower worked well with hot water.
Other trip Mar 6, 2015
ion
"Good location, but that's all"
Pros: 1) Location. Close proximity to Waikiki's busy streets 2) Room views: my room on the 20th floor had nice view of the Diamondhead Cons: 1) Dated hotel interiors that seriously need renovation 2) Wifi is NOT complementary. In order to get wifi in your room, you have to rent a modem for a daily charge, plug it in your room and then access the internet. They have limited number of modems and they often run out of them, Hence a waiting list, just to get a modem. 3) Parking is twenty per day: And all cash. Can't' be prorated on an hourly basis.
Other trip Mar 6, 2015
Very old, but clean. Good for the price. Carpets are old and faded but we only needed a place to sleep and shower so it was worth the price. Also didn't have the "daily service fee" that most hotels there have.
Other trip Mar 4, 2015
"Very unhappy with the hotel. Service is very poor."
Very unhappy with the hotel. Everything was poor. Coffee was only offered once. Will not be coming back! Maid did a good job. But overall unsatisfied with the stay
Other trip Feb 23, 2015
Overall we had a great time. This hotel was within walking distance of our planned activities
Other trip Feb 19, 2015
"Early check in?...NEVER!"
Hotel will never let u check in early....ALWAYS after 3pm....some (most) hotels not that stringent about an early check in, but Monarch is very strict about check in time...never asked for a late check out but pretty sure there is no flexibility here is either.
2 night business trip Feb 4, 2015
TIMOTHY
"Poor"
The only good thing about our stay is that it was close to the beach.
Other trip Feb 9, 2015
"Clean but not fancy at all"
If you just want a clean place to sleep, perfect. This place is not at all a fancy hotel - it worked well for me. Clean, secure, centrally located.
Other trip Jan 19, 2015
Erica
Felt crowded in the room and we didn't have enough towels in the room. When I asked for more, I was told they did not have any at the time. When I asked for a towel for the pool, I was to have my name added to a list and if the towel was not returned that day then they would charge my account.
Other trip Jan 19, 2015
The hotel is a close 10 minute walk to Waikiki Beach. The room was clean and comfortable. It's not a luxury hotel but for the price and the location the hotel was a great deal. Good security too. We were under the impression they served breakfast - they do NOT. However, there is a delicious breakfast and brunch spot connected to the hotel called Cream Pot which I would highly recommend. While I didn't use the pool, I did go to the floor the pool was on and it was very nice and clean. I would stay again!
Other trip Jan 17, 2015
Claudia
"friendly and knowledgeable staff"
great experience. There is alot to see and explore
Other trip Jan 14, 2015
Not enough pillow, need to change carpets, you should add parking fee into the hotel price. And have another blanket.
Other trip Jan 5, 2015
"Convenient location, but noisy rooms. Bugs"
Convenient location, but noisy rooms all night. Bugs in the room. Noisy ac window unit. Changed hotels after a couple of intolerable nights. Front desk staff at check in and especially at check out were especially nice and friendly. I only wish the rooms were as nice as the staff.
Other trip Jan 2, 2015
Stevie
"Good enough"
Good enough. I'm not impressed, but it's cheap, clean enough, and ina relativly good location.
Other trip Dec 31, 2014
Very good for the price. The room was comfortable, and perfect for people that not gonna spend to much time in it, which is a bad idea if you are in Hawaii as there is so much to see. 15 minutes walk from the Beach and Main Street, which makes the location good.
Other trip Dec 30, 2014
"Not bad for value"
Carpets were dirty, parking is very expensive and no hot water one if the dats. Also need more outlets in the room. Free wifi was only available from the lobby. Great walking dustance ro downtown Waikiki and ala moana mall.
Other trip Dec 28, 2014
joey
"Only thing good is the location ..I blame owners!"
The front desk staff is a 5/5 stars. Clifford , Pau, and Christina were all more than helpful, only 50 rooms in the tower are hotel rooms all others are residences.Whoever owns this prime location needs to update their rooms and invest some money into it. Or sell the hotel to me!! Rooms outdated and stained carpets. Window drapes had sprayed coca cola stain on it , lamp shade also stain , bathtub chipped and drain plug Nasty brown stain. Light fixture in bathroom had 2 old bulbs and one new led coiled buld fixture rusted and dusty. Coffee pot in room had coffee stains in it. Who knows if ever cleaned properly, along with glasses and mugs. I didn't feel comfortable using them. Microwave on the dresser and all fridge sitting on the floor, seems ghetto. Buy proper stand and organize in an attractive fashion. Had housekeeping first 4 days , NONE the next 3 !!! Called for towels which they brought but did not clean !! She asked "want me to clean the room"? I said not now ! We are back from the beach and want to rest now. Notified FD and they were surprised and felt bad. Also last 2 days there we did not have HOT water to shower. Was a boiler issue they had repaired something but our room was one of a few that never regained HOT water. FD staff took my complaint and acted promptly notifying hotel mng and engineering which was finally fixed on my morning of checkout. Hotel manager extended my stay until 7:30pm at no additional cost for my inconvenience. owner of hotel needs to act
Other trip Dec 14, 2014
J
"Nice hotel in quiet area"
Hotel staff are kind, cooperative and excellent. The bath tub was tipping and the other facilities are kinda old, though. You can hear the voices in the next door a little. The rates are good! If you do not stay in the hotel room during the daytime, it is good. I will recommend this hotel to some of my friends. The parking rates are reasonable as well.
Other trip Dec 9, 2014
Muts
"Hotel was close to convention center"
Staff was excellent and location and price were right for what we needed.
Other trip Dec 6, 2014
"absolute worst place on the planet"
rooms dirty it smelled room was so small the door hit the frigerator
Other trip Dec 4, 2014
"1st Time. Best Time."
1st time in Hawaii. The room had comfortable beds, i had slept real good during my stay. The young man who was there was very helpful in giving me directions and suggestions for making my stay the best ever. Great working shower, tv, microwave, frig, and i even requested a wake up call, and was able to get up get ready to get to my destination in enough time. Can't thank you enough for everything especially for the smile. If God willing, i would Love to come back for another visit
5 night trip Nov 20, 2014
sharon
Disappointed that we only had complementary coffee the first night and we stayed a week. There was rust on the luggage rack and it transferred to my clothing as I did not see it. It was in need of new carpet and other updates. Although it was a nonsmoking room, I smelled smoke often but that may have come from the hallway. The refrigerator froze our food until we figured out how to stop that. The microwave turntable did not fit and kept wobbling. When I reserved the room I was told the shuttle was $13 per person and close to time to leave was told $16. A friend was told $12 so I guess they size you up and name the price.
Other trip Nov 29, 2014
Nemily
The Hawaiian Monarch was clean and the staff was friendly. It met our needs perfectly, clean beds and bathroom.
Other trip Nov 26, 2014
Cliff
It was a nice place to stay. Most of the staff were friendly. Did recomend to others. Had the best breakfast ever at the cream pot. Can't stop telling others about it.
Other trip Nov 21, 2014
It was okay. Only there overnight and that was all I needed. Place was a bit beat up but you get what you pay for.
"Outraged"
Too much for parking hotel doesn't have there own parking garage. It smelled bad as you walked in the hotel.
"Friendly staff"
Most of staff including cleaning staff are very friendly and helpful. I was very impressed with the comfort they have us by being extra friendly. The hotel is very old and the AC was too noisy, bath tub looked horrible. Location was at the end of busy area in Waikiki so it's quieter which I liked, you need to walk a bit to restaurants, but if you rent a car, there is no problem.
Yellowsapphire
"Cheap stay by the beach"
Cheapest deal in a room I saw. Not looking for a fancy room because I went to hawaii to be outside. Just needed a place to sleep is all it is
"Reasonable Rates"
We have been to Hawaii several times so the location may be out there for the first time visitors. The room rate was very reasonable. We enjoyed the Bar downstairs. Delicious pizza, nachos, chili...
Hawaii Addict
$20 per day for parking, dirty floors. Friendly staff was a plus. Just old run down hotel.
Other trip Nov 18, 2014
Lee
"Great!"
Great deal close to waikiki and shops, great large pool to bad the parking but you don't really need a car when you have The Bus! AC worked and the microwave the fridge was tinny but still managed to have room for cold drinks a some leftovers! Nice people,very pleasant man at the front desk too bad we did not ask for his name! Thank you!
Other trip Oct 31, 2014
miss
"Not for family or average people"
let me just say that this hotel should be out of the market. It need a lot of work all around. There is nothing that I can say that I like from this hotel . The rooms were dirty and smelly. I even seen a few roaches . It's better to spend alittle more for better service.
Other trip Oct 29, 2014
Herv
"You get what you pay for."
Though the location puts you near the heart of Waikiki, the age and condition of the hotel was something not so welcoming. The staff was helpful and assisted any way they could. The hotel appeared run-down and the elevator situation is particularly annoying. The room was vacuumed and essentially clean. But the carpet was stained (from what we do not know)and the main window hasn't been cleaned in who knows how long. The view would have been nice but it was like looking through a privacy shower door. Guess the dirty window kept the room shady! Time for a true renovation.
10 night romance trip Oct 13, 2014
RICHARD
"Cheap price=cheap hotel. Good if your on a budget."
Hotel room was in serious need of renovation. No Wifi in room. Wifi available in lobby but the lobby consist of a 4 chairs and no tables. The room does its job if your only using the room to sleep.
Other trip Oct 25, 2014
hawaii traveler
"Monarch needs to improve"
The hotel needs improvement in the bathroom and WiFi should be rooms not in the lobby please. They should also serve complimentary breakfast daily.
3 night business trip Oct 19, 2014
S. Rais
"This is just an ok hotel"
The staff are really nice and helpful. They have good working AC the mini fridge has alot of room for food leftovers u ate from the restaurants..the convinience of having a microwave in the room is great. They also have a laundry room which is cool if u ran out of clothes to wear and dont wanna buy new ones. I got a really nice mountain view..it'll be nicer if it has balcony.. This a pretty affordable place to stay and not too far from everything.. It's just that everything is old.. Carpet has stains.. Bathroom has rust stains..curtains has stains.... Just a little disappointed.
Other trip Oct 23, 2014
nix
"Hawaiian Monarch"
I will never stay at the Hawaiian Monarch on Niu St in Waikiki. I did NOT have a good experience. The room looks clean but wasn't. Dust in drawers, lint under guest book, bible had grime on it, NO bathroom amenities, NO internet, headboard fell while I was laying on bed, too old and outdated, very shady service.
1 night trip Oct 18, 2014
"Room is old with a lot of problems"
Room is old, AC was not cold, curtains were broken and shower nob was hard to activate. Water was not working for one day too....do not recommend
Other trip Oct 17, 2014