All hotels in Honolulu, Hawaii, United States of America
444 Niu Street, Honolulu, HI, 96815, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

2.9
    2.7
    2.4
Hotel in terrible condition, dirty and smelly room.
Other trip Mar 21, 2015
Mariana
"Nice time in Hawaii"
Had a nice time .clecks at counter not friendly.pluming problems two days in a row
Other trip Mar 18, 2015
cal
"hardly there to say was mostley out side and abot"
when i was there it was quiet and clean. relaxing. air was working fine, shower worked well with hot water.
Other trip Mar 6, 2015
ion
"Good location, but that's all"
Pros: 1) Location. Close proximity to Waikiki's busy streets 2) Room views: my room on the 20th floor had nice view of the Diamondhead Cons: 1) Dated hotel interiors that seriously need renovation 2) Wifi is NOT complementary. In order to get wifi in your room, you have to rent a modem for a daily charge, plug it in your room and then access the internet. They have limited number of modems and they often run out of them, Hence a waiting list, just to get a modem. 3) Parking is twenty per day: And all cash. Can't' be prorated on an hourly basis.
Other trip Mar 6, 2015
Very old, but clean. Good for the price. Carpets are old and faded but we only needed a place to sleep and shower so it was worth the price. Also didn't have the "daily service fee" that most hotels there have.
Other trip Mar 4, 2015
"Very unhappy with the hotel. Service is very poor."
Very unhappy with the hotel. Everything was poor. Coffee was only offered once. Will not be coming back! Maid did a good job. But overall unsatisfied with the stay
Other trip Feb 23, 2015
Overall we had a great time. This hotel was within walking distance of our planned activities
Other trip Feb 19, 2015
minnime
"Early check in?...NEVER!"
Hotel will never let u check in early....ALWAYS after 3pm....some (most) hotels not that stringent about an early check in, but Monarch is very strict about check in time...never asked for a late check out but pretty sure there is no flexibility here is either.
2 night business trip Feb 4, 2015
TIMOTHY
"Poor"
The only good thing about our stay is that it was close to the beach.
Other trip Feb 9, 2015
"Clean but not fancy at all"
If you just want a clean place to sleep, perfect. This place is not at all a fancy hotel - it worked well for me. Clean, secure, centrally located.
Other trip Jan 19, 2015
Erica
Felt crowded in the room and we didn't have enough towels in the room. When I asked for more, I was told they did not have any at the time. When I asked for a towel for the pool, I was to have my name added to a list and if the towel was not returned that day then they would charge my account.
Other trip Jan 19, 2015
The hotel is a close 10 minute walk to Waikiki Beach. The room was clean and comfortable. It's not a luxury hotel but for the price and the location the hotel was a great deal. Good security too. We were under the impression they served breakfast - they do NOT. However, there is a delicious breakfast and brunch spot connected to the hotel called Cream Pot which I would highly recommend. While I didn't use the pool, I did go to the floor the pool was on and it was very nice and clean. I would stay again!
Other trip Jan 17, 2015
Claudia
"friendly and knowledgeable staff"
great experience. There is alot to see and explore
Other trip Jan 14, 2015
Not enough pillow, need to change carpets, you should add parking fee into the hotel price. And have another blanket.
Other trip Jan 5, 2015
"Convenient location, but noisy rooms. Bugs"
Convenient location, but noisy rooms all night. Bugs in the room. Noisy ac window unit. Changed hotels after a couple of intolerable nights. Front desk staff at check in and especially at check out were especially nice and friendly. I only wish the rooms were as nice as the staff.
Other trip Jan 2, 2015
Stevie
"Good enough"
Good enough. I'm not impressed, but it's cheap, clean enough, and ina relativly good location.
Other trip Dec 31, 2014
Very good for the price. The room was comfortable, and perfect for people that not gonna spend to much time in it, which is a bad idea if you are in Hawaii as there is so much to see. 15 minutes walk from the Beach and Main Street, which makes the location good.
Other trip Dec 30, 2014
"Not bad for value"
Carpets were dirty, parking is very expensive and no hot water one if the dats. Also need more outlets in the room. Free wifi was only available from the lobby. Great walking dustance ro downtown Waikiki and ala moana mall.
Other trip Dec 28, 2014
joey
"Only thing good is the location ..I blame owners!"
The front desk staff is a 5/5 stars. Clifford , Pau, and Christina were all more than helpful, only 50 rooms in the tower are hotel rooms all others are residences.Whoever owns this prime location needs to update their rooms and invest some money into it. Or sell the hotel to me!! Rooms outdated and stained carpets. Window drapes had sprayed coca cola stain on it , lamp shade also stain , bathtub chipped and drain plug Nasty brown stain. Light fixture in bathroom had 2 old bulbs and one new led coiled buld fixture rusted and dusty. Coffee pot in room had coffee stains in it. Who knows if ever cleaned properly, along with glasses and mugs. I didn't feel comfortable using them. Microwave on the dresser and all fridge sitting on the floor, seems ghetto. Buy proper stand and organize in an attractive fashion. Had housekeeping first 4 days , NONE the next 3 !!! Called for towels which they brought but did not clean !! She asked "want me to clean the room"? I said not now ! We are back from the beach and want to rest now. Notified FD and they were surprised and felt bad. Also last 2 days there we did not have HOT water to shower. Was a boiler issue they had repaired something but our room was one of a few that never regained HOT water. FD staff took my complaint and acted promptly notifying hotel mng and engineering which was finally fixed on my morning of checkout. Hotel manager extended my stay until 7:30pm at no additional cost for my inconvenience. owner of hotel needs to act
Other trip Dec 14, 2014
J
"Nice hotel in quiet area"
Hotel staff are kind, cooperative and excellent. The bath tub was tipping and the other facilities are kinda old, though. You can hear the voices in the next door a little. The rates are good! If you do not stay in the hotel room during the daytime, it is good. I will recommend this hotel to some of my friends. The parking rates are reasonable as well.
Other trip Dec 9, 2014
Muts
"Hotel was close to convention center"
Staff was excellent and location and price were right for what we needed.
Other trip Dec 6, 2014
"absolute worst place on the planet"
rooms dirty it smelled room was so small the door hit the frigerator
Other trip Dec 4, 2014
"1st Time. Best Time."
1st time in Hawaii. The room had comfortable beds, i had slept real good during my stay. The young man who was there was very helpful in giving me directions and suggestions for making my stay the best ever. Great working shower, tv, microwave, frig, and i even requested a wake up call, and was able to get up get ready to get to my destination in enough time. Can't thank you enough for everything especially for the smile. If God willing, i would Love to come back for another visit
5 night trip Nov 20, 2014
sharon
Disappointed that we only had complementary coffee the first night and we stayed a week. There was rust on the luggage rack and it transferred to my clothing as I did not see it. It was in need of new carpet and other updates. Although it was a nonsmoking room, I smelled smoke often but that may have come from the hallway. The refrigerator froze our food until we figured out how to stop that. The microwave turntable did not fit and kept wobbling. When I reserved the room I was told the shuttle was $13 per person and close to time to leave was told $16. A friend was told $12 so I guess they size you up and name the price.
Other trip Nov 29, 2014
Nemily
The Hawaiian Monarch was clean and the staff was friendly. It met our needs perfectly, clean beds and bathroom.
Other trip Nov 26, 2014
Cliff
It was a nice place to stay. Most of the staff were friendly. Did recomend to others. Had the best breakfast ever at the cream pot. Can't stop telling others about it.
Other trip Nov 21, 2014
It was okay. Only there overnight and that was all I needed. Place was a bit beat up but you get what you pay for.
"Outraged"
Too much for parking hotel doesn't have there own parking garage. It smelled bad as you walked in the hotel.
"Friendly staff"
Most of staff including cleaning staff are very friendly and helpful. I was very impressed with the comfort they have us by being extra friendly. The hotel is very old and the AC was too noisy, bath tub looked horrible. Location was at the end of busy area in Waikiki so it's quieter which I liked, you need to walk a bit to restaurants, but if you rent a car, there is no problem.
Yellowsapphire
"Cheap stay by the beach"
Cheapest deal in a room I saw. Not looking for a fancy room because I went to hawaii to be outside. Just needed a place to sleep is all it is
"Reasonable Rates"
We have been to Hawaii several times so the location may be out there for the first time visitors. The room rate was very reasonable. We enjoyed the Bar downstairs. Delicious pizza, nachos, chili...
Hawaii Addict
$20 per day for parking, dirty floors. Friendly staff was a plus. Just old run down hotel.
Other trip Nov 18, 2014
Lee
"Great!"
Great deal close to waikiki and shops, great large pool to bad the parking but you don't really need a car when you have The Bus! AC worked and the microwave the fridge was tinny but still managed to have room for cold drinks a some leftovers! Nice people,very pleasant man at the front desk too bad we did not ask for his name! Thank you!
Other trip Oct 31, 2014
miss
"Not for family or average people"
let me just say that this hotel should be out of the market. It need a lot of work all around. There is nothing that I can say that I like from this hotel . The rooms were dirty and smelly. I even seen a few roaches . It's better to spend alittle more for better service.
Other trip Oct 29, 2014
Herv
"You get what you pay for."
Though the location puts you near the heart of Waikiki, the age and condition of the hotel was something not so welcoming. The staff was helpful and assisted any way they could. The hotel appeared run-down and the elevator situation is particularly annoying. The room was vacuumed and essentially clean. But the carpet was stained (from what we do not know)and the main window hasn't been cleaned in who knows how long. The view would have been nice but it was like looking through a privacy shower door. Guess the dirty window kept the room shady! Time for a true renovation.
10 night romance trip Oct 13, 2014
RICHARD
"Cheap price=cheap hotel. Good if your on a budget."
Hotel room was in serious need of renovation. No Wifi in room. Wifi available in lobby but the lobby consist of a 4 chairs and no tables. The room does its job if your only using the room to sleep.
Other trip Oct 25, 2014
hawaii traveler
"Monarch needs to improve"
The hotel needs improvement in the bathroom and WiFi should be rooms not in the lobby please. They should also serve complimentary breakfast daily.
3 night business trip Oct 19, 2014
S. Rais
"This is just an ok hotel"
The staff are really nice and helpful. They have good working AC the mini fridge has alot of room for food leftovers u ate from the restaurants..the convinience of having a microwave in the room is great. They also have a laundry room which is cool if u ran out of clothes to wear and dont wanna buy new ones. I got a really nice mountain view..it'll be nicer if it has balcony.. This a pretty affordable place to stay and not too far from everything.. It's just that everything is old.. Carpet has stains.. Bathroom has rust stains..curtains has stains.... Just a little disappointed.
Other trip Oct 23, 2014
nix
"Hawaiian Monarch"
I will never stay at the Hawaiian Monarch on Niu St in Waikiki. I did NOT have a good experience. The room looks clean but wasn't. Dust in drawers, lint under guest book, bible had grime on it, NO bathroom amenities, NO internet, headboard fell while I was laying on bed, too old and outdated, very shady service.
1 night trip Oct 18, 2014
"Room is old with a lot of problems"
Room is old, AC was not cold, curtains were broken and shower nob was hard to activate. Water was not working for one day too....do not recommend
Other trip Oct 17, 2014
"Do NOT stay here!"
This hotel would be comparable to a motel on the mainland, but for 5x the price! There were stains on the box spring covers, the carpet was so filthy my feet were black after walking on it, there was mold growing on the tub stopper, a giant rust stain behind the toilet. And to top it off, we walked through a cloud of pot on the way to the elevator when checking out. And all the manager, Vanessa, had to say was this is a "budget" hotel, as if that is justification for the deplorable condition. Tall people would have a very hard time taking a shower. I'm 5'1", and I could easily touch the ceiling. The tv is no bigger than a computer monitor. There are several hotels that are cheaper with last minute bookings, and in FAR better condition.
1 night family trip Oct 14, 2014
Krista
"Nice close to the Convention, but kind of not nice"
Good, It's close to the convention Center, walking distance, nice walk, good Canal view, but hotel is not really nice inside. Pictures on internet are different, Misleading not really what I expected. They shld upgrade the Lobby looks nicer and classy to attract better costumers. And Hallway looks boring, kind of scary. I want to feel more safe there.
Other trip Oct 13, 2014
Valerie
Carpet needs to be replaced. Elevator needs to be upgraded, so slow! Shower tub needs to be updated.
3 night business trip Oct 3, 2014
Von
"Not good, but not bad. You get what you pay for."
Kind of bare bones hotel with the minimum that I would need. The hotel building also supports other activities/businesses and bar/restaurant establishments on the lower levels. The parking garage (self-park) is run by a private service next door to hotel, and the elevators to the hotel rooms also provided direct access to the parking garage. There's little room to park temporarily in front of the hotel entrance (hazard tape around the entrance prevents you from getting close to the entrance) while you check-in though. And the parking garage won't give you the hotel parking rate until you check-in and can prove you are staying at the hotel (not very helpful - very distrustful). People at the front desk ranged from very pleasant and helpful to indifferent, depending on the shift/day or when you called the front desk. Free Wi-Fi was only next to the front desk with a handful of chairs to sit on; not much of a hotel lobby.
Other trip Oct 3, 2014
Jane
"Hotel close to beach & shops."
Me & my g/f stayed for 1 week and the hotel was in a great location. It is close to beach, shops & restaurants. Friendly staff and 24/7. I definitely recommended to anyone.
Other trip Sep 28, 2014
Yoisman
"Nice view room"
Older room with nice view. Room included a microwave and refrigerator. Carpeting was very worn and soiled. Room decor needs to be updated. Arrived around 6pm, and took a while to check in. No one was at the front desk. Security guard radioed and said someone will be there shortly. It took about 15 minutes. While waiting, another couple and another guest also need help from the front desk. Looks like they might have been short handed.
Other trip Sep 26, 2014
Ron
"My stay at hawwaii monarc.."
My stay here was ok at best . These rooms are old & and smelly . The staff are not that friendly . If I had a choice I would of book beter but I was there for a week so it was fine .
Other trip Sep 25, 2014
STAY AWAY
"I wouldn't stay here again"
First off I always say when in Waikiki, a room is just for showering and sleeping. But this one was just a little too far at the end of the strip. The room was really cramped. The ac unit struggled to keep the room semi-cool and was causing a pretty good size puddle of water on the carpet between the window and bed. After a few days snorkeling and hanging out at the beach the bathroom with our beach towels and swim suits started to get musty. There was no ventalation in the room, a very weak ac unit and the windows didn't open so the room was very muggy. Not that I noticed more than a few bugs (beetles) in the room, but my kids said they saw quite a few. Not to be picky, but the room felt dated and run down. There is a key card system. The room key card opens your room door, allows you to select your floor in the elevator and accesses the laundry room door. But it's hit and miss when you use the elevator, the card key took half a dozen tries before it would allow me to select my floor. In the meanwhile, you're going up down with other people in the elevator because you can't select a floor because your card key isn't working. Other times it didn't require the card key at all...just weird. On a positive note, house keeping did a thorough job cleaning the room daily. There's a laundry room in the hotel to do clothing and towels. Parking under the hotel was convienant.
Other trip Sep 24, 2014
Mr. Starbucks
"Do not stay here."
The lobby smelled of raw sewage. My room was tiny with no lanai. The bed was dreadful. The carpet was old, worn faded and badly stained. I spent one night of my life in the Hawaiian Monarch and that was one night too many. Spend a few bucks more and stay somewhere else!
Other trip Sep 13, 2014
Mary Ellen
"Served Its purpose, good cost"
Cheap. decent location. (not by the ocean but close enough to where most of the event pick ups were at). Older, not the cleanest but it was worth what we paid.
6 night romance trip Aug 2, 2014