All hotels in Ames, Iowa, United States of America
1418 S Dayton Place, I-35 to Hwy 30 W to Dayton Place, Ames, IA, 50010, United States of America, ‏‎855-238-1592

Dirty
    Room is not nice
    Food is not good
    Bad amenities
"Super 8 Hotel Stay"
We were in Iowa to watch our Grandson play Baseball for the Cyclones. We stayed two nights as there were games on both Saturday & Sunday. First night the phone in the room rang about 4:30am with no one answering. Also people in the next room had a barking dog. Second night was great. No barking dogs or ringing phones!
2 night family trip Apr 24, 2015
"very comfortable"
Nice comfortable place to stay!! Close to where I was working, close to most anything I needed!!!!!
Other trip Apr 19, 2015
steve
I had the heat/a/c unit on low and it kicked on every 45 minutes and sounded like an aircraft was taking off in my room. In the shower I noted that where the shower stall stopped and the wall covering began there was a line of mold starting. The clothes rack on the wall was too close to the bed. When I went down that side of the bed to set the alarm clock I hit my head on it going in and then coming out. The pillows were too small for the size of bed.
Other trip Apr 12, 2015
"Friendly staff, complimentory breakfast."
Very pleasant stay. Clean and comfortable. Breakfast was sufficient for a complimentory breakfast. Well stocked.
Other trip Apr 12, 2015
Ron
Older hotel, but clean. Room heater was noisy so we had trouble sleeping.
Other trip Mar 18, 2015
"Cheap but comfortable and worth it"
For the price, it was very clean and comfortable. I would stay again if I was passing through and needed a cheap place to crash.
1 night trip Mar 14, 2015
Great place close to where we needed to be. It is just an older hotel so needs to be updated. Price was great. Very Clean!!
Other trip Mar 6, 2015
Staff was very pleasant however cleaning staff could use additional training on how to clean. Chairs in room stained- would not sit on them. Bed coverlet also stained. Heat/AC loud. Not an expensive hotel but if they updated and really cleaned the rooms with more care, they could charge more money.
Other trip Mar 2, 2015
CR
The hotel was ok. The bathroom needed cleaning and there was mold in the shower. The carpet was torn in several spots and the furniture was dirty and ripped with burn marks. The staff was very nice.
Other trip Mar 2, 2015
"Good price for good motel"
Clean and friendly service
1 night trip Feb 21, 2015
Jane
"Good for the Price"
This is definitely a Super 8, everything is pretty average. With that said, as long as you know what your paying for, you should be happy. The room was recently renovated and was pretty nice given the price, it was clean and comfortable, made for a good one night stay.
Other trip Feb 24, 2015
We just needed a room for the night and this was an inexpensive option. It was minimal as far as room amenities, but was adequate for our needs. The free breakfast was mostly pre-packaged, but had a good variety.
1 night romance trip Feb 20, 2015
"A mistake"
Computer was inoperable at check-in, so done manually. TV set went blank (shut down an hour or so after check-in). Desk clerk said nothing he could do about it. The heater in the room cycled on-off all night long as window leaked cold air (it was a cold, below zero night). Bath room was fine.
Other trip Feb 7, 2015
Jerry
"good discount hotel"
nice clean
1 night family trip Jan 10, 2015
"Titans Mom"
It was not bad for a one night stay. The room and breakfast was decent for the price. Staff was nice and courteous. It's not glamours but it's tolerable.
Other trip Jan 14, 2015
Titans Mom
"Decent place, reasonable price"
Super 8's provide an adequate room and a comfortable bed; also a modest breakfast. Would not want to spend a week-long stay at one, but perfectly satisfactory for a one or two night stay.
Other trip Dec 23, 2014
Doug
"if you smoke, stay away!"
I am very disappointed. I specifically reserved the room as it is smoking however the smoking rooms were on upper level and no elevator. My elderly father could not climbs stairs or use his ScootER due to no accessibility. I feel you did not disclose all on the website and would likea full refund.
2 night family trip Dec 18, 2014
"Cockroach city"
Killed at least 5 cockroaches..The icing on the cake was waking up with bites that were like welts all over my arms. Will not be staying here again.
2 night business trip Dec 2, 2014
"Super 8 in Ames, IA"
Room smelled very strongly of bleach, as did the whole building. The hallways were dark and creepy. It did not feel like a safe place. Check out was at 11am, and yet cleaning personal used their key to enter our room while we were still sleeping at 9am before we had even checked out. The combination of the overwhelming smell of bleach and the unsafe feeling of the surrounds makes me rate this hotel as a place I never wish to go again. In its defense, the front desk staff was nice at a minimal level. Very overpriced for the value.
Other trip Nov 25, 2014
Traveler
"Basically ok but room was too small, A/C fan noise"
Room with 2 beds had little "extra" room to walk around, A/C worked but fan noise is a bit high. Is ok for just one night but might look elsewhere if staying 2-3-4 days.
Other trip Nov 19, 2014
"not a comfortable night"
i felt the hotel is in very poor condition, the room is heated and cooled by a window type a/c unit, i walked around the room bare footed and when i took a shower you could see dirt, so i felt the carpet was dirty, for 82 dollars a night i expected more.
Response by Super 8 Ames
We are very sorry to hear about the problems you encountered during your stay. We are in the process of remodeling and renovating our property and look to have these things completed within this year. All of our rooms have the window type ac/heater units and they are all new. As for the carpet we have addressed the concern of cleanliness immediately and had our carpets professionally cleaned. We hope that you will give us another chance in the future to assist you with your future visits!
1 night trip Nov 7, 2014
"Please don't go"
The room I got was still having work done on the bath tub. But before we even get to that. The cleaner they used to clean the room smelled heavily when we got into the room. Problem one. Bath tub under construction was problem 2. Problem three sewer (?) or something else sent a viciously nasty smell up through the drains in the morning. But the worst problem. I was covered in bed bug bites and had a spider bite mixed in with them. My clothes are still in quarantine, but they seem to have gotten loose in my son's home I just found out. Now looking at what to do next.
1 night trip Oct 25, 2014
"Super 8 stay"
The hotel and room was good. It is nit a five star hotel, but for the price is a nice stay. I would stay again.
Response by Super 8 Ames
Thank you for writing a review of our property. Your feedback is very valuable to us and we look forward to seeing you on your next visit!
1 night business trip Oct 21, 2014
"Long night"
We were awoke by a domestic dispute at 1am inthe room next to us. Had to call the frobt desk. My girls felt very uncomfortable at this hotel
Response by Super 8 Ames
We sincerely apologize that you were awoken by a domestic dispute next door. Thank you for bringing it to our attention as we take pride in our property being a quiet place to rest! Sometimes these things do occur and we cannot always control them or prevent them from happening. Please don't hesitate to call the front desk and let us know what is happening... we will address the concern(s) immediately! We would like all of our guests to get the rest they are looking for. We hope that you will give us another chance in the future and again our front desk staff would be more than happy to help should an instance like this ever occur!
1 night romance trip Oct 17, 2014
This hotel would be worth the stay if the price was about $35 per night.
Other trip Oct 19, 2014
"Do not recommend staying there!"
We got there late Thursday night and immediately upon walking into the room, we should have turned around and left. The room smelled horrible and we actually went out and purchased air fresheners for the room. The carpet and the bedding had burn holes in them and the carpet looked like it hadn't been cleaned in a very long time. One of the nights that we came back there were two boxes full of empty beer bottles by the rear entrance. The air condition had two settings, on and off. From the looks of the hotel it looked like they may have been renovating, but it didn't ever get really loud. The location of the hotel is great because it is located just far enough outside of Ames that you don't have a lot of the traffic of the busy town.
3 night trip Sep 18, 2014
"Only if you're a poor PhD student"
If I had a choice (read as $$$), I would happily roll past this joint, but its the only one which was in my price range. Would I stay there again? Probably not. The hotel rooms are carpeted, and have a moist sticky feel when you walk over them. To try them out, I wore clean white socks and ended up with a brown sole socks- very soon. The 'non smoking' room had the smoke smell coming in through the ventilation in the bathroom. Did not try the morning breakfast so cant comment on that. The room cleaning was fairly decent.
4 night trip Sep 7, 2014
I know its a super 8, but the room smelled like mold. The hotel needs a lot of updating.
Other trip Sep 8, 2014
The floors are dirty we had to wash or feet and the white wash cloth told it all. the room was damp .......the air conditioner didnt take out the humidity.
Other trip Sep 7, 2014
"Got what we paid for not disappointed at all"
Got what we paid for not disappointed at all. Not the nicest Super 8 but was what we expected and paid for during a busy ISU football game weekend.
1 night trip Aug 29, 2014
This hotel was not clean at all. It was extremely humid in the room and everything felt damp. Even crawling under the sheets felt damp! The carpet was dirty and could not walk on carpet without shoes.
1 night trip Aug 30, 2014
"Satisfactory for the comparative cost."
Room was good. Seemed a little musty, but not bad. Not fancy, but had what I needed for an overnight stay.
1 night trip Aug 27, 2014
"Super 8-Ames, Iowa"
The carpets were absolutely disgusting in my room and my friends room.. My feet were left black and sticky. Carpets need cleaned immediately. Musty smell in both rooms as well. Complained to front desk and got nowhere. I would not recommend this hotel ever again, especially for the price and lack of cleanliness. Completely disappointed in my stay and very frustrated with the lack of care from staff or willingness to make it right.
1 night trip with friends Aug 9, 2014
"What's that smell?"
Room had real heavy chemical smel. Almost like they were trying to cover something up.
1 night trip Aug 20, 2014
"No personality on the staff. Sorry to bother them."
Staff seemed "put-out" to have to check clients in. Tiny lobby area. first floor below grade (??!!!). Nice coney beds. Get what you pay for, and this should be a $40 night motel. Terrible waste of a breakfast. Fake eggs with sausage links. All else pre-packaged and styrofoam.
Other trip Aug 21, 2014
"dump"
The entire hotel smeeled of mold and mildew. Must flood frequently.
1 night trip Aug 16, 2014
tom
It was a good place to stay, cheaper than the competitors, and close to a gas station and Subway..
Other trip Aug 18, 2014
Wayne
"Convenient but dirty"
The carpet was extremely dirty and I left black footprints when stepping into the tub. I was afraid to walk in the room without my shoes. The breakfast was extremely disappointing. I also discovered that the two lower plugs on two outlets were connected to the wall switch. I had gotten the alarm all set, turned off the wall switch and discovered that the alarm clock was no longer working. Didn't discover why until the next morning. I was traveling early the next morning and was afraid I would not awaken in time.
Other trip Aug 9, 2014
Jan
the managers accent was so bad I couldn't understand him.
Other trip Aug 8, 2014
Very friendly. You get a descent room for the price
2 night trip Aug 1, 2014
"friendly"
All employees are friendly & courteous
2 night trip Aug 2, 2014
Nelson
"You get what you pay for."
I selected this hotel based on the low rate. I should have paid $20 a night more elsewhere. The room had a musty odor. The toilet was not clean. The lower level rooms are partially below ground level giving the room a "bunker" feel.
Other trip Aug 6, 2014
Awful. The outside doors are not locked, so anyone can just come in off the street. There were people hanging out in the hallway outside our room all night, and people were listening to loud music with their room doors open! At one point there was a very scary man standing in the main area screaming profanities on his cell phone. The staff was not very helpful, and did nothing to manage their guests. The rooms were stuffy, damp, and smelled bad. There was hair on the wall of the shower that did NOT belong to us!
Other trip Aug 5, 2014
"Easy enough to find, but that's about it."
Easy enough to find, but nothing too exciting to review. The room smelled of stale smoke, and the A/C was too loud to fall asleep. Even though it was close to the highway, outside noises were kept to a minimum, and I was able to sleep peacefully through the night. Breakfast was pretty skimpy.
Other trip Aug 3, 2014
Rachel
The motel met my expectations for a single night, low cost stay. Management obviously is doing their best to maintain the property. It appears clean and well kept.
Other trip Aug 2, 2014
We just slept there did not see any staff no problems and very quite hotel...
Other trip Jul 14, 2014
Cheryl
"Old motel"
We got the last room available. The hotel manager (Ray) was very nice but the room was dirty, smelled of urine and needed repair. We would have gone to another motel had we not committed thru Hotels.com. The place is crummy.
1 night trip Jul 8, 2014
"It got the job done."
I was travelling with my father and we just needed a place close enough to Des Moines without paying Des Moines prices. We got what we paid for and nothing more. The hotel interior is in rough shape and needs an overhaul. It got the job done, but I have to say that the breakfast area was probably the biggest disappointment. The syrup containers were sitting in a pool of syrup and the seating area to eat is essentially the hotel lobby (space is limited). Choices were limited. While I would stay here again under the same circumstances, I would book one of the other hotels in the area if I were taking my wife and kids. There are several better (and more expensive) options in that exact same area that just make you feel more comfortable based on the brand.
Other trip Jun 30, 2014
Bucky
"Dirty Room"
The desk clerk could not speak American very well. The room was dirty and smelled.
1 night business trip Jun 23, 2014
"smell"
Both rooms had a bad odor. One smelled like cat urine, the other smelled like something was used to cover musty smell coming from AC-it didn't work.
Other trip Jun 24, 2014