All hotels in Honolulu, Hawaii, United States of America
229 Paoakalani Ave, Honolulu, HI, 96815, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

• Beach
    Beautiful beach
    Great room
    Bad amenities
    Poor vibe
  • Wellness Area
    Poor wellness & sports facilities
"Where's the hot tub?"
Overall, this is a great hotel for the price. Our only complaint was we were promised tea every day as part of the amenity fee. It was there the first day but never replaced. My gf lives for tea. Our only other complaint was there is no hot tub and we couldn't find the sauna we were told about. Other than that this hotel fit our needs perfectly.
"Not a bad location and the room was awesome."
Very nice and spacious room. Very clean and the staff was real friendly. A bit of a walk to the beach but still a nice location.
Other trip Nov 18, 2014
heidi
"GREAT HOTEL"
Great hotel with clean and updated appliances; very close to Waikiki Beach and Diamond Head.
Other trip Nov 15, 2014
M
"Out of the way location. Not much signage."
Good check-in staff, very pleasant. Room/s were very sunny with full length windows. Furnishing showing a little wear and tear. No dishwasher in kitchen. Bathroom was good, had a hand-held shower which is a plus. The mandatory amenity fee of 18/day should be included in hotel pricing and not hidden. Parking at 15/day is a good deal in Waikiki. My room was on the 20th floor and had a mountain view. Not bad but large condo/hotels block much of the view.
Other trip Oct 28, 2014
Norman
"off the beaten path"
overall average to above average. Carpeting needs updating, Room conditions were excellent. small bottle of champagne and chocolate covered macadamian nuts were a nice welcome gift. A lot of amenities with coffee, full refridgerator, utensils. Very reasonable if planned on staying longer and wanted to buy groceries.
2 night trip Oct 4, 2014
anne
"Great ocean view"
Found the 1 bedroom condo very comfortable and clean. We had everything we needed to cook breakfast every morning. Our view was incredible, from both inside the condo and on the balcony. The staff was very accomodating and helpful. Would definately stay again.
5 night family trip Oct 18, 2014
Pam
I love t come back to stay. This Hotel is good for family with the good services. The people here is nice and the front desk is friendly
Other trip Oct 25, 2014
Ann
"Stolen Medications!!!"
I had two very Important medications taken from our room. Made a report not only with the hotel manager but with the Honolulu P.D. Absolutely nothing was done to help me! I will NEVER stay at an Astin property again. Nor will I recommend them !
Other trip Oct 1, 2014
Patti
"A truly wonderful and enjoyable vacation."
Fun, relaxing, enjoyable time. Enjoyed the activities. We were treated very well.
Other trip Sep 20, 2014
"My teenagers loved the free DVD machine..."
Highly recommend this hotel. The staff was very accommodating and the rooms were comfortable. Unfortunately a hurricane hit the island our second day there. The hotel keep us updated on the weather and the precautions being taken. My preteen/teen kids really enjoyed the free DVD and game rental box downstairs. Thankfully the hurricane wasn't as bad as they expected so the hotel operated as normal. (From what we could tell.) I would definitely free comfortable staying at this hotel on my next trip to Hawaii. It's in walking distance of everything. Great Place!
2 night family trip Aug 7, 2014
J. Nicole
"Near to beach but not close enough for shopping."
Very comfortable and equipped with all that we needed to please a family of 4, our twin 7 year old daughters had everything they needed, the hotel had free movies to select from, beach towels for the beach to use, a small on site convenient store who rented beach chairs to us, but they did not have beach umbrellas.
Other trip Aug 26, 2014
"Old, needs dusting, close to beach."
It looked very old and it needs lot of dusting. Even though, house cleaning came every day and we paid 18 a day for that, they only change towels, made the bed and vacuum. They never did any dusting. I have dust on all of the windows. The first day, the shower coil was found all twisted loose but was fixed promptly. Great maintenance staff! Walking distance to the beach and all of the stores and shopping in Waikiki.
Other trip Aug 25, 2014
My family and I enjoyed our stay at the Aston Waikiki Sunset. The room was very comfortable and quiet and we loved the size of the suite, kitchen, and full bath. Parking was good as well. My kids loved the pool - perfect size for younger children. Lastly, the location was excellent to get to the beach and restaurants. To be honest, we weren't wow'ed by the look of the hotel and room when we first arrived but in the end, it was so functional and comfortable, we really felt at home and I'd rather have that than anything fancy. However, a suggestion would be to update the carpets and living area furniture to look a bit more modern. Similar comment on staff - everyone was very efficient and helpful that we interacted with but I'd have to say not overly friendly but always polite. Thanks for a great stay and we would strongly consider staying there again next team we vacation in Waikiki.
Other trip Aug 5, 2014
"Disaster from the beginning to the end."
It was not what I purchase online. My entire party was split up with rooms that were separated. Which put a damper on our whole vacation. As a result, the dream vacation turned into a nightmare from hell. When I tried to rectify the problem, I was told that I was on my own and hung up on. My party was totallmy dissatisfied.
unhappy maryAnn
"Excellent location"
hotel was close to the beach, shops and restaurants. hotel was 1-2 blocks from tour pick up meeting place. Full kitchen was great, came complete with everything you need. We booked 3 activities with the hotel agent who was great. We enjoyed all the activities he recommended. hotel was clean, staff was very nice, accommodating and professional. will definitely recommend and will return to same facility.
"Don't stay here"
I would not send my worst enemy to this hotel. The staff was rude, the room service was almost non existent . We arrived early and asked for early check in and they said we had to call back around 1:30. We finally got into our room about 3:15. The elevators where super slow and always crowded. We were told the room had 5 beds and when we only had two and a sofa bed the front desk blamed Hotels.com. We even showed the paperwork stating 5 beds and they could have cared less. This hotel is also has condo units with full time residents who were less than happy to share with the tourist. Pay the extra money and stay somewhere else.
7 night trip Jul 12, 2014
Mom of 3
"Nice hotel, close to beach, restaurants, and shops"
The maids didn't get to our room until 5pm, which is about the time we returned from our day activities to get ready to go out for dinner. Very bad timing. Very nice hotel otherwise.
Other trip Jul 27, 2014
JoAnn
"Not Fancy, But Comdortable!"
We had a condo on the 12th floor. I did reserve a room with 2 twin beds, but when we got there, I was told if we wanted it I had to ask someone to come up and move the two apart, the only problem was if they did that you couldn't get in the closet! So we had to settle for sleeping together in a queen. Idk why they offer the twins when it is obvious it would not work in that size room:/ other than that the stay was pleasant. Every time we asked for towels or coffee it was provided. Pool kept nice and clean. Beach a short walk and kitchen handy!
Other trip Jul 23, 2014
Bonnie
"Waikiki Vacation"
Enjoyed our stay for the most part. The pool area is on the side of the hotel that gets a lot of wind and was chilly when not in direct sun. Other than that, the location is good. The service was food.
Other trip Jul 22, 2014
"nice hotel close to beach"
have stayed at hotel 5 times nice close to the beach
Other trip Jul 21, 2014
gwen
"Not clean at all, no vacuum for whole week"
Very disappointed! Housekeeping was always done late and never actually cleaned.
Other trip Jul 18, 2014
Tania
"Close to everthing!"
We loved our two week stay at the Aston Sunset Waikiki. It was convenient to everything we wanted to see and do and the staff was very helpful in advising when we inquired. The only things that I would change about the room would be the mattess (not enough cushion on top; however, housekeeping immediately added an additional mattess pad when requested which helped considerably) and the rollers on the sliding glass door in the bedroom as the door was little difficult to open and close. The hotel provided everything we could possibly need to prepare meals in our room or on the grills provided near the pool and tennis courts. We would definitely stay at this hotel again!
11 night family trip Jun 16, 2014
Stacy
"Great for families"
I wouldn't recommend it for a honeymoon or dream vacation, but for those familiar with Waikiki and traveling with a family this is a good choice - reasonable price and convenient enough location.
7 night family trip Jun 21, 2014
"Hotel was close to restaurants and the beach."
My family enjoyed our stay in Oahu. The hotel was clean and our room was very comfortable. We liked that the beach and restaurants were in walking distance from the hotel.
Other trip Jul 12, 2014
"Nice, and affordable"
We stayed 3 nights, and enjoyed our stay. Took a tour of Pearl Harbor one day, just relaxed and watched a World Cup game the other day.
Other trip Jul 9, 2014
Ed
It was a nice experience, a short walk to the beach and close to everything.
Other trip Jul 1, 2014
Kitchen is fully equipped. Location is in waikiki but doesn't have good view compared to other hotels. No breakfast except free one time free breakfast for selling gifts in other stores. $33 tax for daily extra charge for amenity and parking.
Other trip Jun 30, 2014
"Great condo, excellent for a family."
We had an excellent experience here. We went there to celebrate our 50th wedding anniversary with our extended family. We had 4 condos. We were all on the same floor and close to each other. The thing that was frustrating is when I called before our stay, the hotel wouldn't confirm what floor we were on, if we were all on the same floor and if we were close to each other. We had to wait until we arrived to find out. Other than that everything was excellent.
Other trip Jun 29, 2014
Tea Mom
Pleasant staff; reasonably clean; would have liked the option to put a do not disturb sign on the door.
Other trip Jun 26, 2014
"Hawaii"
It was good. I think the $15 parking fee should be included in the mandatory $18 resort fee. I never did get internet to work on my phone during the visit. The sofabed was REALLY uncomfortable. I was not told there would be tax on my 24 hour fitness pass or the $18 resort fee!!! It was good, but it could have been A LOT better.
Other trip Jun 25, 2014
"Good for family"
The Aston Waikiki Sunset has great amenities for a family. Full kitchen with all needed utensils, plates, pans, refrigerator etc. Excellent for cooking your own meals to save some money. Sometimes the elevators can take a while to get to your floor and some of the building can be upgraded but overall it's close to the beach, eating, bus stops.
Other trip Jun 20, 2014
"I love the place, very close to the beach"
it was incredible, I felt like I was at home. Very nice place to stay
Other trip Jun 19, 2014
irma
"Good re use of used blankets."
Good I like the location. Service great. Overall happy.
Other trip Jun 19, 2014
"rooms & elevators"
rooms were a little small and the elevators are way to slow
Other trip Jun 16, 2014
"Decent Enough"
The dryer the floor we stayed on were out of order with a sign indicating this. However, the next night, I did not see any sign so thinking it's fixed, we decided to do our laundry. After the wash was done and loading the clothes into the dryer, the dryer did not work. It was a inconvenience since we had to take the washed load either upstairs or downstairs (washer & dryer on every floor) to dry our clothes. If I had known that it's NOT fixed, then I can plan to do both wash and dry on the same floor.
Other trip Jun 11, 2014
The T.
"Family of 6"
This hotel was perfect for our family of 6. From a few other reviews, I expected for the worse, but was very pleasantly surprised. Rooms - We had the 2-bedroom suite facing Diamond Head. We were on the 8th floor. We still had a great view of Diamond Head, but from our bedroom, we also had a small view of another hotel with demolition trash, not our hotel's fault. My husband & I slept on the King size bed, my parents were on the queen bed, & my 2 teenage boys were on the pull-out sofa bed. No complaints of the sofa bed. Wished we had 2 bathrooms, was tight with 6 people, but we knew that coming in. The queen bedroom did not have a TV, which we needed, but didn't think to ask for one. Kitchen - they provided everything. That was great! They didn't have a dishwasher, but no big deal to wash dishes. Cleanliness - they don't clean everyday (sweep, vacuum, etc.) that I noticed, since it's a condo-style hotel. However, they do change the linens twice a week, change the towels out daily, and empty trash, and there is a comment card if you want additional cleaning done. Amenities - we knew about the $18/day fee in advance, so no surprise to us. (Pacific Beach Hotel, our 2nd choice and where our other family members stayed at, charged $20/day.) It was good that this amenity fee included renting movies & games to watch/play in our room, because my boys watched 4 fairly-new movies. I strongly believe that the rental of tennis racquets should have been included. $7.50 (for 45 minutes) for tennis racquet and you had to purchase your tennis balls. Hotel Services - Concierge was very informative, and 4th floor housekeeping where you check out beach towels was awesome! Last but not least, our plane departed at 11:35 pm, and our check-out was noon. The hotel stored our luggage for free, had a hospitality room (next to the pool) where we could hang out and watch TV, bathroom facilities where we could shower after swimming or to freshen up, and they had computers & printers to use
5 night family trip Jun 1, 2014
Annie
"Only of u have 5 persons in ur group book it"
That hotel is perfect if u have 5 or more in ur party and it's good for the fact that it's close to pick up locations of buses going to many attractions Their room size is ok Their kitchen is equipped although it would have been better if they leave something like salt and pepper They also have a laundry room in each floor Don't be fooled with their upgrades all their views are similar But their room service simply do so little compared to other hotels also they charge 18 outrageous dollars daily wether u use their wifi and DVDs rentals or not But honestly in hawaii everything is like that
Other trip Jun 7, 2014
pete
"Falsely Advertised"
I was very upset to have booked my room requesting 5 beds (as available on Hotels.com) only to be told that "no rooms have 5 beds". The most they could offer was 2 twin beds and the pull out futon couch. The mattress on the futon was so thin we could feel the frame underneath. The clerk checking me in refused to check my ID saying it was "too small for him to see". They automatically charge "amenities fees" whether you take advantage of their services or not. Other than that, the housekeepers were extremely friendly and made the rest of our stay manageable.
3 night trip May 23, 2014
"Just the right distance from the beach."
Two blocks from beach. Perfact spot. Two blocks to zoo and huge park. Close to aquarium. If you have always rented a car you dnt need to waste your bucks. "The Bus" Oahu bus stops less than a block away. Easy to figure out, goes to major attractions and shopping centers. Bonus if you have a U.S. medicare card its just a buck and that includes a free transfer if you need it. All busses run about every 15 min. Hotel has well stocked mini mart. Lots of eateries nearby.
Other trip Jun 2, 2014
snookums
"Suite Reasonable; Homeless An Issue"
It's the only reasonably priced hotel that offers a suite with kitchenette. We've been to this property before, but this time the bathroom was NOT cleaned when we arrived. The cleaning staff were very nice and made sure our room was cleaned afterwards. I did notice that the hotel seems run down and beginning to show lack of maintenance: 1) hall carpets were worn and had fold/creases in them; 2) noticeable divets/gouges in the tiles in the lobby elevator bay; 3) missing utensils in the kitchen that used to be in the room (based on previous stays). I did notice that there was one bellman for the entire hotel (it's always been that way). There are no self-service options, where you can borrow a dolly to cart your luggage yourself. The elevators are slow, even with four of them. Note that there are homeless people in the area of the hotel. There were at least four of them planting themselves at the bus stop on the corner near the hotel. They remained there for most of the our stay. There are also others sleeping in the grassy area near the zoo and in Kapiolani Park. It's unpleasant (they reek, look unsavory) because you have to pass this corner to get to the hotel.
Other trip Jun 1, 2014
EF
"Amazing for family"
First of all , i dont like booking hotel through Expedia . It was mistake . Even though it is not the cheapest price, they are not refundable . For hotel, it was not the newest hotel though it was spacious and good. Asian older woman staff is not flexible so if you need help ask other people that are very kind
Other trip May 24, 2014
melong
"good location"
2nd time staying at this hotel, third time in Hawaii. Good location, good room for family.
Other trip May 12, 2014
C
Loved this hotel it was near the beach. Staff was great and very friendly. The room was very clean and was cleaned by the staff everyday. I enjoyed my saty here. I will definetely stay there again and recommend it to friends.
Other trip Apr 27, 2014
"Nice hotel for small family"
I loved the fact the hotel room comes with a full kitchen. I was able to make breakfast every morning. It was so convenient for my daughter. On the 5th floor there was a mini market! Also every floor comes with a laundry room. This hotel made everything easy for me when dealing with a 2 year old. There was $18 resort fee daily which gave us access to wifi, a play station in each room. Able to rent 2 dad's at a time. Daily morning newspaper and beach equipment. Beach ball, towels etc. So make use of those so that the resort fee doesn't feel so expensive. I had a car rental.. they charge $15 daily. The parking structure had plenty of spaces. Location was awesome. It's walking distance to the beach, the zoo, the park, and of course all the shops. The only thing. . It seemed to be way more windy around the hotel itself. But once you leave the hotel, it's fine. I've been to Hawaii 5 other times and stayed at different hotels which I also enjoyed. This time was different, I had my 2 year old daughter with me and I would come back to this hotel now that I have a lil family.
Other trip Apr 24, 2014
teresa
"Nice hotel."
Stayed for 7 days. Kitchen a huge plus! Comes with stove, frig, sink, and utensils. Comfortable stay. 5 mins walk to Waikiki beach.
Other trip Apr 23, 2014
"good hotel for families."
I was very nervous that this hotel would be dirty and run down, but it was not dirty at all, older but not dirty. We were very happy with our stay. My only complaint is that the description said it slept five, our room had a king bed and a futon, I guess if you wanted to sleep 3 in one bed it would have slept 5, otherwise you had to pay an extra $30 a night for a rollaway, thankfully our 5th person was 2 and slept with the other kids on the futon. Cribs are free. The area of Waikiki the hotel is in had alot of homeless people, but that is not the hotels fault and the homelss didnt bother us, just not nice to look at. We would definetly stay here again, very close to the beach, and the pool was pretty nice too. You cannot beat having a one bedroom with a kitchen for the price.
5 night business trip Apr 16, 2014
Christina
"Nice hotel within walking distance of beach, shops"
Had a wonderful time in Waikiki, The hotel was close to everything.
Other trip Apr 7, 2014
"Won't stay here again"
This is the second time in 3 years that we have stayed at the Sunset, but we wont be staying here again unless the Aston puts some money into the building. The shabbiness of the place has gone beyond what we can overlook for the price.
Other trip Apr 6, 2014
"Convenient, affordable"
For a short stay with a family of five, we did enjoy the moment but the pool needs an upgrade.
Other trip Apr 3, 2014
"Hawaii on a budget"
Certainly not a 5 star, but you're not spending much time in your room anyway. Literally 3mins walking distance to the ocean. You have a full kitchen, so stop at Safeway & plan a few meals in your room and the money you save can be spent on countless other activities. We're a family of 5 and no one had any complaints. We did Hawaii on a budget and we had a BLAST doing so!
Other trip Apr 2, 2014