All hotels in San Francisco, California, United States of America
465 Grant Ave, San Francisco, CA, 94108, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

2.8
    2.8
"Very reasonably priced, pretty old hotel."
Very reasonably priced, pretty old hotel. The renovated rooms were much better than the unrenovated.
Response by Grant Plaza Hotel
Thank you for your comment. By this summer, we should be able to finish our renovation. We hope to see you again soon.
15 night business trip Feb 6, 2015
"Disappointing"
The staff was really nice, but the room was not. There was some remodeling going on, but the room I was in was really old with stained carpet and a rusty medicine cabinet. There was a filthy towel on the floor of the shower and you were unable to close the bathroom window, probably because there was no exhaust fan in the moldy bathroom. Another annoyance was that you have to pay for ice. 25 cents gets you about a quarter-bucket. I checked out early.
Response by Grant Plaza Hotel
Thank you for your comment. We regret to hear about your negative experience, and the renovation should be done by May this summer. For the ice, we will be gladly to reimburse you or add in more ice free if you ask the front desk clerk. We hope to see you for any try at our hotel. Thank you.
3 night business trip Feb 2, 2015
"Good location, quiet at night"
The hotel is old but otherwise in decent shape. Plenty good enough for a solo traveler for a few nights in the city. Good location near Chinatown and other attractions, but quiet at night. A good stay!
Response by Grant Plaza Hotel
Thank you for your review. Please pardon our renovation going on at this time. We hope to see you soon.
Other trip Feb 6, 2015
Kristen
"The Grant Plaza- good room for the price"
The room was ok. It wasn't great, but it was decent and fairly clean. The neighborhood was nice- lots to do!
1 night romance trip Jan 31, 2015
Melanie
"Good location but was under remodeling!"
The Hotel was under construction as they were remodeling. They should be clear about that so you are aware that the hotel will not be in the best conditions.
1 night romance trip Jan 31, 2015
The room was small and bathroom was not very clean.
Response by Grant Plaza Hotel
Please let me know what room you are in, and any problem at check in with time and date. We would like to improve our service. The hotel is under renovation at this time, and all the rooms will be redone by May of this year. Sorry for the inconvenience. Thank you
Other trip Jan 27, 2015
"Never again."
The hotel is dingy, cramped, dirty and smelly. Due to business travel and short notice, had no other options. The experience was horrible. The room smelled like a bug disinfectant (and most likely was), carpet smelly and dirty, no simple conveniences such an ironing board, only a few stations on the blurry television, and the staff was not to responsive when asked questions. For example, when asked about an ironing board, I was given the look like "why do need an ironing board,". I was eventually afforded one. When asked could a small fridge be rented, I was asked why did I have medicines that needed refrigeration. I will never stay here again nor would I ever recommend anyone.
Response by Grant Plaza Hotel
Please let me know what room you are in, and any problem at check in with time and date. We would like to improve our service. The hotel is under renovation at this time, and all the rooms will be redone by May of this year. Thank you.
Other trip Jan 26, 2015
"Affordable and clean in a great location!"
I've stayed here off and on over the last decade or so. It's perfectly fine for me. Always clean, convenient to MUNI and BART, and walkable to many venues. It's usually very quiet with very helpful staff, and in the past, I would have given five stars. Some problems with this visit: 1. Major construction and rehab; there was no warning of this on their website, and construction begins at 8am each morning. 2. I requested a wake-up call one morning; not only did I not get the call but when I mentioned it to the staffer, he was merely defensive and unhelpful. 3. The room itself was very nice: simple, basic, comfortable. However, the noise, dust and unfinished condition negatively impacted this visit
Other trip Jan 24, 2015
Bret
"Missed out on sleep due to construction"
After long drive, wanted a nap, but there was construction. Wanted a shower, but water turned off for a while. Heating pipes clanged until 1:30am - that was awful. If hotels are doing renovations I urge the booking site not to make them available during these periods and I would NEVER have stayed at this property.
1 night business trip Jan 15, 2015
"The room is not pleasing and the bed is sagging."
Did not sleep good, bed and sheets are old loud noise not comfortable at all
Other trip Jan 10, 2015
jun
"ok"
It was clean, nice size of the room not very expensive.
1 night romance trip Jan 2, 2015
Gustavo
"Great hotel and location for the price."
Spent 2 nights there with the family on a quick San Fran visit. We were working on a small budget so many of the other hotels in the area were out of our price range. Granted the hotel is old and certainly not a 5 star property, it is very close to shopping in Chinatown as well as walking distance of the Piers and Coit tower (which was a must for us - why drive in San Fran anyways?). Overall, I was very pleased with my stay and will certainly come back again.
Other trip Jan 2, 2015
Ryan
"Good place to crash for the nights"
It's located a short distance inside the Dragon Gate in Chinatown. The single twin bed room was quite 'cozy' but it's perfect for someone that spent the days out and about and just want a place that's clean and comfortable for the nights. They also have luggage lockers available for when I have an overnight break in my reservation for a side trip out of San Francisco.
Response by Grant Plaza Hotel
Thank you very much, Please come and stay with us again.
1 night trip Dec 28, 2014
"Tiny room without a view"
Had a tiny room located in the interior of the building which meant the only natural light was through an opaque window on a light shaft. Onsite construction was noisy.
Other trip Dec 28, 2014
RM
"Crash in for a night!"
Tiny room. We got a room with private bath. Everything was very clean. The carpet could use some help. The building showed signs of age but things were being renovated. Staff was very polite. Location was awesome. We only stayed one night. You may want to get a higher priced room for longer stay, may be!
Response by Grant Plaza Hotel
Thank you for your review.
1 night romance trip Dec 23, 2014
"Durty and noisy"
Staid here for a weekend, it was the time when renovation was going on so I can understand contractor's noise but that is not the one i'm referring to. Paper walls and doors made it really hard to have silent in the room. The phone had no coverage in the room and the wireless was horrible! The place was very durty, hair in the shover, in the towels and black stains on the wall in the bathroom and in the bed
Other trip Dec 23, 2014
"Helpful and polite staff"
Warm greetings from hotel staff. They were very helpful in making recommendations for restaurants and places to visit. the hotel is close to everything and within walking distance too. I picked this one because it is very accessible from my office visit and the different eateries in the neighborhood. I would recommend this hotel anytime.
Other trip Dec 12, 2014
Beng
"Avoid This Hotel"
The room had a old radiator that made noise all night long making it impossible to sleep due to the noise and heat that it put off. The only window in the room (that looked onto the roof) had stops on it (that prevented it from fully opening,so getting cool air into the room was a lost cause. I would have been better off sleeping in my pick up truck.
1 night business trip Dec 4, 2014
Randy
"SF Hotel"
Basic and clean. Good location. Worth staying.
Response by Grant Plaza Hotel
Thank you for your positive review. We hope to see you again soon.
2 night romance trip Dec 1, 2014
kwan
"Right for the price"
You get what you pay for. We chose this hotel because it was the cheapest hotel downtown that was not in a questionable neighborhood, and still had a private bathroom. When we checked in (early), the front desk told us our room was ready -- it most certainly was not (the previous guest's mess was very evident). But the cleaning staff were nice enough to at least cleanup the bathroom very quickly so we could shower before going out to explore the city (during which time they cleaned the rest of the room). We ended up switching rooms due to plumbing issues, which I was thankful for since the first room was very claustrophobic (all the rooms are very small, that particular room was especially cramped). If I were visiting San Francisco again, I'd still consider the Grant Plaza as an option. The location was great (just inside Chinatown), and the people at the front desk were always pleasant and helpful (besides the time they told us our room was ready...). It's right for the price.
5 night romance trip Nov 26, 2014
Danielle
"Don't stay here if you're sensitive to mold."
They were accommodating but it took 3 rooms for me to finally not see and smell mold. Convenient location. Clean room. But before you settle in check for mold and that your window locks!
Other trip Dec 5, 2014
Random tourist
"small and smell"
full size bed, tiny old room, carpet smells
2 night family trip Nov 28, 2014
"Unhappy !!"
I wasnt contented at all coz the room was so small with small window,i felt i cant breath cos d ventilation was poor. The floor create cracking sound when ur walking.
1 night trip with friends Nov 26, 2014
Angelito
"Very smal rooms"
Very smal room no supply in bath room and room Applince are none
Other trip Nov 26, 2014
lakhbir gill
"Serviceable"
Needed a last minute room for a quick business trip. Clean but run down hotel. Everything worn, from the baseboards to the towels. Noisy at night. Small room. But just fine for what I needed.
1 night business trip Nov 19, 2014
"San Francisco Stay."
Place was a dump. TheService was horrible and the room was extremely old. Don't believe the photos. The carpet was disgusting and the shower was moldy. Would not recommend this place. More of a flophouse than a hotel.
1 night romance trip Nov 18, 2014
Alejandro
"OK if you can tolerate cold room, lots of noise."
Very noisy street traffic and very cold room. No heating device.
World traveller
"China Town"
The hotel is def in Chinatown. Right next to the gate actually. Don't be fooled by the photos- this is a 2 star, but a nice one. For parking go to the hotel 1st, there is a 5 min parking area for you to leave your car. Pick up the parking pass they offer. It's a great deal.
2 night family trip Oct 31, 2014
Alora
"Absolute last resort"
I've stayed in many places, but this is just about one of the worst ever. Hostels in Europe pan out better than this joint. I'd only recommend this place if a) you din't care about grime and comfort, and b) you were really, really desperate, and c) if you're under the age 22 (and therefore high tolerance for all things).
3 night business trip Oct 13, 2014
Christian
"Would never return or recommend to anyone."
Most filthy, dirty hotel I have ever stayed at. Carpet is dirty and stained. The bathroom had hair on the walls, floors hadn't been cleaned. The elevator was dysfunctional. The walls are paper thin--I stayed on the 3rd floor and I could hear people in the room above me, people in the halls/rooms on my floor and then people in the rooms below me. I've never had such a disappointing hotel experience as I did at the Grant Plaza Hotel. I was simply looking for an affordable, clean place to stay and the Grant Plaza Hotel did not deliver--it was extremely gross.
Other trip Oct 21, 2014
"Nice hotel, good location, ify receptionist."
Great location near Chinatown but horrible customer service, after being assigned the wrong room, at check out, our attendant argued with us about having stayed in the wrong room.. And I'm pretty sure we would know which room we were sleeping in. Luckily (who I assume was the manager) was behind him and quickly took over and assisted us promptly. Aside from that our stay was comfortable.
Other trip Oct 21, 2014
Natalie
"definitely not value for money - but its SFO ;-)"
i paid 180$/night, initially i was offered a room that was unbearable and i requested a change and got another one that was better ,Still the room and bathroom was very small , i am lucky i booked a double bedroom . its in china town and area is ok . one of the staff (lady forgot her name ) was nice .. helped me sort out the issues .. (fyi there is a locker room costs 50 cents every time you open)
4 night business trip Oct 12, 2014
sandeep
"Expensive but safe in China Town."
The bed was comfortable but the room was small and in a poor and run down condition especially for the price, which i would have expected to be about half the price. The staff were friendly and helpful and the area, in Chinatown, felt safe. If all the rooms looked like the picture in the window, it would be lovely.
1 night family trip Oct 13, 2014
"Great hotel for the price!"
While it is just a 'mediocre' hotel itself, for $120 a night, you can't get anything better! It was a bit dated but clean and in a very convenient area.
2 night romance trip Oct 16, 2014
Kristen
"Overpriced during the Dreamforce Event"
The normal posted room rate for this hotel was $59 per night, because the city was full of attendees for the Dreamforce conference, the rate was hiked to $188 per night. My rating is on a $188 per night room hotel stay, it would have been slightly better at the normal rate. The hotel is very dated, in my room, the carpet was worn out and dirty,bathroom tiles broken and rusted. The small twin bed was comfortable and the shower had great hot water and water pressure. The staff was helpful and friendly.
2 night business trip Oct 14, 2014
Dennis
"Location - Not Much Else"
This is a hotel that you would plan to not spend much time in. Just a bed and a bath - which can be all you need assuming you are exploring San Fran. Great location near Chinatown and Union Square. Room and bath were clean thankfully, but rest of hotel is in fairly poor condition. However I was there for a business trip where I wasn't spending much time in the hotel, so as long as you are not planning to park yourself there for long, it is a reasonable deal.
4 night business trip Oct 12, 2014
Darby
"Terrible"
Due to a giant sales conference in SF, this was the only affordable hotel available. It was just terrible, size of the room and bed an absolute joke. This was probably the worst hotel I had stayed at - ever. Location in Chinatown was fine, but this kind of hotel should not be in business in 2014. It might have been okay during the Great Depression
Other trip Oct 17, 2014
K Weill
"Sad mistake"
It was amazing to see a hotel not so cheap that has no air condicioned in the rooms (San Francisco city is very hot during summer) and no breakfast as well: I regret a lot !
3 night trip with friends Oct 2, 2014
Eudes
"Great location, basic accomodation"
It was surprisingly quiet considering the location. Room was very small but more than adequate ensuite bathroom. Everything was very clean. Hotel's general areas were a bit scruffy. Great location with lots of SF sights in walkable distance.
2 night trip Oct 3, 2014
"Chinatown Gem with Issues"
What a great location for this hotel. It's just two to four blocks from every transportation means. However, that's where my excitement ended. My room, 313, was a shoe box for nearly $200 per night. The shower-only bathroom had visible mold present in the caulk and on the ceiling. No screens on the windows was a disappointment because I loved opening the windows for cool fresh air when it was warm.
Other trip Oct 6, 2014
My room went out to the streets. Wery noisy indeed.
Other trip Oct 6, 2014
"Close to everything, but not very clean."
The room was very small and dirty. The bed was hard as a rock and the pillows were flat as a pancake. The TV remote was broken, and they charge $1.00 for a bucket of ice! Parking is 4 blocks away, which was not very convenient and quite expensive. The rooms have no A/C which got very stuffy and hot, so I opened the windows to get some air. Unfortunately it was very loud from the traffic and all of the transients screaming and yelling all night. I finally shut the windows to try and sleep, but it was so hot I had to re-open them and deal with the noise.
1 night family trip Oct 3, 2014
"A very good hotel for the price"
The hotel was clean as well as the room. The hotel front desk staff were very polite and helpful. The maid service was good as well. The location was very good, located in Chinatown. Union square is a short walk as well as Powell St to get to the BART and trolley cars. It's a 25 minute walk to ATT&T Park and to Fisherman's Warf. The TV in the room is a small flat screen with a limited # of channels. I would definitely stay here again.
5 night trip Sep 25, 2014
Mike C
I was quite happy with this hotel as it was the cheapest I could find and wasn't expecting anything great. But...the location is perfect for exploring SF. An easy walk to Union Square, Nob Hill, North Beach, etc. I went to a concert at the Masonic and this was a close 10 minute walk home. Another nice thing about staying in China town is it's lively during the day but very quiet at night, things close down early there. By 11 pm the streets were deserted on a Friday night so it was very easy to sleep, even with the windows open on the 2nd floor. I also appreciated that you could open the windows as most hotels don't allow it. Fresh air is good for you! All in all, it was very good value.
1 night trip Sep 26, 2014
"Close to most places I wanted to visit"
Located in where seems to be China Town, this little hotel is centrally located in the downtown area. I didn't have to take a cab to the Civic Center, Folsom Street, or any of the bars etc. Very convenient location in a friendly atmosphere.
Other trip Sep 23, 2014
Donovan
"Nice hotel great value for San Francisco."
Check in courteous staff. Well maintained lobby. Safe area. Over all good hotel. We stay often.
Other trip Sep 18, 2014
Terri
"Grant Plaza Hotel"
This hotel has become one of my favorites. I live in Sacramento but spend several days each month in San Francisco, and usually stay over from 1-4 of those nights. The location is fantastic. Within walking distance to so many SF attractions and neighborhoods, and lots of public transportation options as well. And the customer service is outstanding. The rooms are not as fancy as some, but for the price and the wonderful staff, you can't beat it.
1 night trip Aug 31, 2014
Leslie
"Nice location but uncomfortable"
I wouldn't recommend it. They want you to park at a certain parking structure at a "discount" rate of $28 a night. The room was very tiny and the walls were dirty. Floor creaks really loudly so if you have a room above you, which you most likely you will, you're going to hear every strep they take. Walls are thin so you can actually hear the convo from next door. The worst part of it was that they didn't put any screens on the windows. I had to check out at 4 in the morning and slept in my car because I was being attacked by mosquitos. There was no AC so I couldn't close the windows. If I'm paying $110 a night I would at least expect a room with a little more decency.
Other trip Sep 2, 2014
Dirty, unprofessional, cheap... not much more to add.
1 night business trip Aug 21, 2014
"Never stay at this hotel"
The images on the Expedia were misleading. There were no air conditioner and no coffee machine in the room. The bath towels were black and rough. The tub was dirty. The room was very noisy from the street and from your neighbor room. In short, you felt like you were camping at the downtown of San Francisco.
Other trip Aug 24, 2014