All hotels in San Francisco, California, United States of America
1050 Van Ness Avenue, San Francisco, CA, 94109, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

• Value
    Fairly good value for money
    Breakfast is average
    Poor vibe
"Pleasant Surprise"
All our expectations were met, we wanted nothing more. Location was convenient to us who wanted to be in the Mission District.
2 night family trip Oct 7, 2015
"Just a very old hotel"
With the money they charge for parking a night, I think this hotel could use a freshen up. New carpets at the least. Great location really. Just dirty.
Other trip Oct 13, 2015
Room was very small and dark (even with curtains open to look into another room) but very quiet. Nice staff. Restaurant right next door and great neighborhood nearby one street over....
1 night trip Oct 10, 2015
"Next Door to Movie Theater & a Great Cheeseburger!"
Only stayed one night - I guess $47 a night is the going rate for parking but it always irritates me. The flannel sheets on the bed were kinda weird - thought I as staying at my sister's! Room very small but bed was comfortable and free wi fi always nice.
1 night business trip Oct 10, 2015
Raymond
"Opal Disappointment"
The room was listed for $199 a night. By the time all the room taxes, business district assessment and parking charge and parking taxes were added to our bill. We ending up paying $281.64. This is ridiculous for staying in a not so great area. Will never stay there again. In addition, the bathroom was so small, you had to squeeze yourself in through the door. The parking was $41 a night. The only good thing was that we only stayed one night.
1 night family trip Oct 2, 2015
Rudolph
"Decent and cheap"
This place is ok. Cheapest place around and that should say a lot.
1 night business trip Oct 8, 2015
Christopher
"Opal hotel nice hotel but filthy, scary area"
Friendly, helpful staff Terrible construction noise even early AM Neighborhood is borderline scary for me Homeless everywhere Aggressive panhandlers and mentally ill on every other block Filthy streets and sidewalks
1 night family trip Oct 8, 2015
"Not worth it."
Cheap place to stay. Not a very good area. Not close to transit. Not a very clean or nice hotel. The stains on the carpet, furniture and bedding were expected, given other reviews. It is cheap, but I wish I had stayed somewhere else.
4 night business trip Oct 5, 2015
Located on the fringe of the homeless and drug dealing/prostitution area of SF. Good diners nearby. Easy and quick access to all of SF.
5 night business trip Oct 2, 2015
michael
"Two nights in the heart of SF"
Considering this is in a pretty "busy" part of SF, I thought this place was great. Clean, kind and courteous staff, interesting decor. You can tell that this place is really trying. For how busy this part of town is, I wasn't distracted by any outside noise which is a huge plus when you're staying in downtown. The front desk staff was knowledgable and helpful, several times I overheard them offering very detailed directions to tourists. If you don't know where you're going around here it's very comforting to get thoughtful directions. By the way, San Francisco is notorious for overpriced hotels, and considering the competition I felt this place was priced fairly and offered a nice, comfortable, clean place to stay in a very central location. Overall I had a very pleasant experience and would be happy to stay here again.
2 night romance trip Sep 29, 2015
"Nice place!"
Stayed two nights. Found it to be very comfortable. Location is very favorable - busses are nearby, walking to Civic Center is very close, Union Square not far away. Breakfast was good enough. Very secure facility.
2 night family trip Sep 26, 2015
"Decent lower-cost option"
It is difficult to find a reasonably priced hotel in the heart of San Francisco, not to mention everything is very dated. The Opal had all the basics and a complementary breakfast. It is not going to win awards on plush accommodations or amenities, but it felt safe, was close to main attractions and offered a decent night's sleep.
2 night family trip Sep 28, 2015
"Comfortable, quiet stay."
I was very pleased with the comfort of our stay at The Opal. Sometimes you just want a hotel to excel at the basics... plenty of hot water, a very comfortable bed, quiet atmosphere, and good black-out curtains that allow for a nice rest. The Opal excelled at all of these. Sure, the hotel is a little older and could use some updates but that's part of what gives it its charm. The hotel is located a couple blocks from a rough neighborhood in one direction, but I never felt unsafe here, and it's on a major road with plenty of safe and enjoyable activity. At this price point in an otherwise highly overpriced city, I recommend this hotel for anyone looking for a quiet, comfortable night without all the bells and whistles.
1 night romance trip Sep 30, 2015
"Opal is my choice when in San Francisco."
Daily breakfast service. Attentive hotel staff. Excellent location.
4 night trip Sep 26, 2015
Nice clean hotel
3 night trip with friends Sep 24, 2015
Quinn
No parking, good location
2 night family trip Sep 28, 2015
"Great price!"
For the price the hotel was definitley great. Clean room and friendly staff. Close to civic center and union square. Small room but doable.
3 night trip with friends Sep 26, 2015
Teairra
Very nice Staff the hotel is a little outdated, but very very very clean. the breakfast was not how I imagined, the dinning area is very small, so we ended up eating in the lobby. don't get too exicted when your reservation says breakfast included. it is so crazy in there that you won't really wanna eat there. but overall very satisfied
2 night business trip Sep 27, 2015
"My Honest Opinion"
There were stains in the carpet, a weird smell in the room, and only one outlet to charge electronics in the entire room. The "free continental breakfast" Consists of frozen waffles, bagels, bread, juices, and plethora hard boiled eggs. Nothing about this hotel was appealing to me and I will not stay here again or recommend it to anyone.
3 night trip with friends Sep 24, 2015
Excellent classic Victorian downtown San Francisco hotel. Right on Van Ness, in the middle of all the action, a few blocks from the Theatre district.
Other trip Sep 27, 2015
mopjo
"Bad Costumer service crew - Good room condition"
Our stay was nice only one night but, our experience during checking in and out was a nightmare a very uncomfortable. I probably won't step a foot again in Opal Hotel. I was charged twice for my reservation. After several phone calls; I request to speak with front desk manager, whom sent my request of returning all wrong charges to an account receivables lady who was extremely rude over the phone. Costumer Service is a key factor for all kind of business: Remember a happy costumer will tell one person of their experience. An unhappy costumer will tell ten people. Thanks Kindly
1 night romance trip Sep 19, 2015
Luis R.
"Great place to stay!"
Wonderful service at the hotel although it was a very busy weekend for them. I really enjoyed my stay there and especially the location.
4 night trip with friends Sep 17, 2015
Judith
"cheap. you get what you pay for."
A/C not working...only blowing fan air. They came up to fix it, but, that is all they could do. They said that San Francisco doesn't use A/C. That all rooms have the same problem. WiFi did not work in my room. Not enough signal strength.
Other trip Sep 23, 2015
"Hidden gem"
Best value in the area Comfortable; great service and perfect for the business traveller who needs to be close to Civic Center etc
2 night business trip Sep 15, 2015
Caroline
Great location. The hotel cold have better walls though- You can hear quite a bit of sound from the rooms next to you.
1 night trip with friends Sep 19, 2015
"Nice Hotel in the center of SFO"
The hotel was located near Union square, city hall, car rental and bus stops. Clean and friendly environment, will recommend.
Other trip Sep 18, 2015
Manuel
"Opal overrated"
Breef, but it definitely felt like I overpaid
2 night family trip Sep 13, 2015
cesar
"Great Place To Stay!!"
This one hit it out of the park for us. The price was good for San Fran considering how close it was to Fisherman's Warf. The staff was great, rooms VERY clean, close to all transportation. Actually our first room was across the street from building destruction...OH NO. We talked with front desk and they moved us to the other side. PERFECT! It was unseasonably warm and the AC worked great. It is an old hotel with character & we really enjoyed our stay and will stay there again.
2 night romance trip Sep 9, 2015
dave s
Breakfast was, as the front desk says openly, not breakfast. It's just something to put in your stomach. Continental in the truest sense. Basically, on par with what you would find in a Super 8. So, don't factor that in when making your decision. Also, having "a view" is rather dubious, as the hotel isn't tall enough to see much of anything besides the buildings that surround it.
1 night trip with friends Sep 8, 2015
"Old hotel, old amenities and stinky"
It was horrible. As soon as you open the door, the hotel inside stinks, like poop and urine. The hotel is old, the carpets look nasty, it needs to be completely remodeled. The bedroom was smelly as well as the sheets and bed cover. The mattress was very unconfortable and the pillows very flat. The Matress and pillows need to be changed. The bathroom shower was so small that it could barely fit 1 person and have no room to put toiletries .The Receptionist Claudia, was not too friendly. Whoever gave nice reviews are used to small and old places, I wonder if they are getting paid for that????. The hotel looks soo creepy .I wouldn't recommend this place to anybody.
Other trip Sep 13, 2015
Ofelia
"Peace"
The stay was peaceful. And I appreciate that. Thank you.
1 night trip Sep 6, 2015
"San Francisco Great town expensive HOTELS"
Luggage must be carried up entrance stairs. Brealfast not very good. San Francisco hotels are way over priced.
3 night romance trip Sep 5, 2015
"Never again"
Based on reviews we stayed here. The location is NOT good, homeless laying around every block. They don't bother you at all, it's just area is dirty/nasty. We walked to the Market area and it was even worse. Stay closer to the Wharf it was the only decent place in the area. We only stayed two nights so we just sucked it up. Hotel is very old, but clean enough and feels as though you are walking into a time wharp.
Other trip Sep 11, 2015
Christine
"Not recomended."
Vastly overpriced.
5 night business trip Aug 30, 2015
"Very satisfied with the service....read on !"
My brother and I stayed here for a week back in April and we were happy with our stay. I mean we did not have high expectations to begin with. But the hotel is on Van Ness Ave, you can pretty much walk everywhere from there. You turn around the corner to Geary St, and it takes 10 minutes to walk to Union square. Polk street where you'll find a lot of bars is only one block down. Don't let any of the negative reviews fool you about this place. If you're in San Francisco for discovering and sightseeing the city, then this place will do. As long as you need a place to sleep in, and you'll be out during the day.
7 night trip with friends Apr 15, 2015
Adil Cagri
"opal san francisco"
the hotel staff was generally friendly and the room was clean. overall the hotel is dated and kind of dingy looking/smelling.
5 night business trip Aug 30, 2015
Don
I was not happy to pay $41 per day EXTRA for parking.
1 night trip with friends Sep 5, 2015
"So-so hotel in so-so area"
As two women, we found the neighborhood sketchy. We had a good time on our trip but wouldn't stay there again. Carpets in high traffic areas of lobby and hallways were dirty. No small refrigerators. Several steps up to lobby made moving luggage problematic. Entire hotel needed updating and maintenance. No porter to help with luggage.
Other trip Sep 4, 2015
"NICE WITH EASY ACCESS TO BUS SERVICE"
NO REFRIGERATOR. and NO RELAXING COMFORTABLE CHAIR. JUST THE AVERAGE SMALL DESK AND STRAIGHT BACK CHAIR.
Other trip Sep 3, 2015
ROBERT
"Would stay here again"
It was a nice stay. Clean hotel, comfortable bed. Close to everything I needed
4 night trip Aug 27, 2015
Wes
"nice simple room"
easy to find, nice clean lobby and room, despite being so close to poor neighborhood. staff friendly and helpful, noise not bad either. room air conditioning and bathroom quite nice. simple morning breakfast, very basic exercise room, elevator kinda slow but stairs readily available.
5 night trip Aug 22, 2015
J Francis
"Perfect for our purpose"
What we needed; a room to stay the night for a one night vacation. Breakfast was enough to kill the hunger until brunch time. Easy check in and out, great location and relatively quiet for being on Geary and Van Ness.
1 night trip Aug 29, 2015
"Big construction job going on across the street!"
We arrived late and tired. No doorman or help with our bags. Checked in and went to our room. Nice bed and plenty of hot water. Awake at 5 am due to a new hospital being built next door. You will not sleep past 6 with all the horns and noise. This is a tired old hotel that has seen better days. The breakfast was almost nothing and we went next door to Mels Diner. It was great but expensive. We would not stay here again.
Other trip Sep 1, 2015
Randy
"San Fran - 50th Anniversary"
We spent 4-days at Hotel Opal/this hotel we found it to be comfortable-although the bathroom counter was so small. The Shower Hot & Cold were opposite. The one thing I loved was their coffee made fresh 24 hours a day. The continental breakfast room needs to be enlarged and the toasters were at the beginning/bottle necking everyone out into the lobby area! Good location 2 blocks from Cable Cars on California! Kudos to the staff who made it easy to print my Cubbie/Giants tickets.
4 night romance trip Aug 25, 2015
Victoria
"The opal San Francisco"
I was very disappointed when I checked into this hotel. It had a "musty/old smell as I entered the lobby and also the room assigned to me. The Room was clean but the carpet had stains and was dirty. I also had problems regulating the water temperature in the shower. The neighborhood was not good. The hotel staff was nice.
3 night family trip Aug 26, 2015
Jacqueline
"Love The Opal"
Close to downtown SF, accessible to all the bus lines so you can go anywhere in the city or catch the BART or Cal Trans - we went to San Carlos to celebrate my Mother's 90th Birthday. I was born & raise in SF so know my way around but my Mom really knows the bus lines going to Cliff House, Haight-Ashbury, GGB, Palace of Fine Arts (100 yrs old this yr 1915), Ferry Bldg - we only took a taxi once, saved a fortune! Generous continental breakfast, thanks! Would have appreciated 2 wake-up calls we never got - s/d learn how to use my cell phone as an alarm.
Other trip Aug 30, 2015
Jeanne
"Great Stay and would stay again."
I went to San Francisco with my two teenage daughters. The hotel staff was very friendly and helpful. We used the buses to get around the city and the hotel staff was very helpful each day in getting us on the right buses. I never felt unsafe walking around in the evening in the hotel neighborhood. They have a free breakfast in the morning that was good. It was not a lavish breakfast, but it had a good selection. The gym is very small, but it was nice to have.
5 night family trip Aug 15, 2015
Cosimina
"Safe location with good dining options."
This is the second time I have stayed in this hotel. It is in a safer location than some other hotels. I was notified that the room was small, so no surprise.
Other trip Aug 21, 2015
"rip off"
I DID NOT GET THE ROOM I PAY FOR, I PAY FOR A DELUXE AND THEY GAVE ME A REGULAR ROOM STAYING AND SAYING THAT THAT WAS A DELUXE THAT S A LIE, THEY TOLD ME THAT NO ROOM HAVE A COFFEE MAKER I HAD TO ARGUE AND FINALLY I GOT ONE, THEY DONT HAVE ANY KIND OF INFORMATION ON THE CITY TOURS ETC, NOT VERY FRIENDLY STAFF AT THE FRONT DESK.
Other trip Aug 18, 2015
GONZALO
"Nice location, mediocre hotel"
The Opal is a decent place to rest your head in San Fran, if you don't mind cheap, pilling sheets. Also, we were awoken at least once a night to the sound of water rushing through the pipes in the wall. I'm not exactly sure why, but it seemed like anytime our neighbor used the bathroom in anyway, we heard it. Anytime they flushed the toilet or ran the water in the sink or shower it was very loud in one of the walls of our room. It was so loud that it woke us up in the middle of the night and the rest of the trip we used our cell phone to play ambient rain sounds in hopes that it would be less jarring when the water sounds happened. The furnishings are kind of old, but I heard they would be doing a remodel soon or had remodeled part of it, so some of the rooms may be nicer than the one we had on the fifth floor. Other than that, it was really a decent location in the middle of the city with easy access to buses or a 15-20 min. walk to different sights in the city.
Other trip Aug 18, 2015