All hotels in Vienna, Austria
Favoritenstrasse 12, Vienna, Vienna, 1040, Austria, ‏‎800-491-6126

"old style Vienna with great location"
We stayed here for four days and it was a perfect "homebase" for touring Vienna. Our room was a bit dated but that didn't matter to us. There is a convenient underground stop a half a block away. Tram line on one street over. Breakfast was plentiful. This hotel was perfect for our needs.
4 night family trip Apr 8, 2015
"Good experience"
I traveled to Vienna on business and was happy. The location is very convenient to the Metro and is easy walking distance to some of the main sites in the heart of the city. The breakfast was fabulous complete with champagne for those vacationers who want to indulge. The staff was gracious and helpful. Inside the hotel there is a bar serving drinks and coffee. Downsides: Because I was there on business, I would have preferred a place to work in my room. There is a small desk area, but without an outlet. I placed my laptop on top of the entry table which served the TV and had to unplug a light or something to serve my laptop. Plus, no chair to work. I would have also liked to have more than one pillow. (I probably could have asked for a 2nd pillow but did not bother.)
Other trip Apr 22, 2015
Marlene
"A nice surprise..."
Really nice hotel. Quiet, nice sized room, nice area. Good price. Only complaint would be that the carpet needs cleaned.
4 night trip Jan 19, 2015
"Great cozy hotel near the Museum Quarter in Vienna"
We had a pleasant experience at this hotel. The hotel staff were amazing. Very accomodating and welcoming. The breakfast was extremely good and they had a great selection for us. The hotel is very close to the city, and you can walk to many of the locations or just hop on the subway to get anywhere you need to go. It is literally a 1 minute walk to the nearest subway station. The area near the hotel is relatively quiet. Our family really enjoyed staying here and I would highly recommend this to others.
Other trip Jan 7, 2015
Ramsey Hammad
New Year's eve days in Wien is a tradition to my family and we needed good price/quality place to stay overnight which J.Strauss provided effortlessly. Interesting parking space provided :).
Other trip Jan 2, 2015
"Delivers what it promises - no more no less"
Pleasant, quiet and comfortable 4 star hotel. The staff is VERY friendly. It is walking distance from the main attractions. The breakfast buffet is plentiful, however quite monotonous if you intend to stay at this hotel for several days. The WiFi is a bit weak in the rooms and if you intend to use the single elevator - bring a good book to read while you wait...
Other trip Oct 26, 2014
Ron
"Good place to stay"
This hotel is very clean and spacious. I received courteous customer service. It is conveniently located within walking distance to a number of attractions including downtown. Breakfast was delicious with a variety of options.
1 night business trip Jul 1, 2014
Ravindra Singh
"Old Vienna Charm"
Great Hotel, old Vienna Charm, Staff fluent in German and English, Excellent Continental Breakfast located close to trains stations and trams One of the best places we ever stayed
Other trip Jun 3, 2014
"From Suite to 6th Floor Closet"
Stayed here before, generally a good experience. This time booked a junior suite through Expedia, prepaid rate - Big Mistake. Our reserved room was over the main street, busy and noisy all day and night. Knowing this was a possibility, I wrote to the hotel months in advance asking if it was noisy, would we be able to keep the windows closed and have air conditioning (late April, early May stay). I was told not to worry, they would book us a quiet room, and if it was warm, they would have air conditioning. When we arrived the room was stifling, we opened the windows, way too noisy. At the desk, they told us the air conditioning was on and the room would cool. Nine PM, returned from dinner, room still stifling. Spent the night with windows open and earplugs, still too noisy to sleep. On Monday, the manager told us they do not start the AC until June; what I was told previously was "a mistake." We could be moved to a quieter room on the back side, but it would be smaller. Yes, it was tiny, but the one window could be opened without noise from the street. So we spent the next 6 nights there. This room cost about half as much as the junior suite we booked through Expedia but the hotel said we could not be refunded the difference because the booking was prepaid to Expedia. Lesson learned ...
Other trip May 5, 2014
"nice but A.C. didnwt work"
friendly staff. clean. 2 metro stops form center. nice breakfast.
Other trip May 5, 2014
Karlsplatz and Belvedere takes only a seven minutes walk. An U-bahn station takes a 3 minutes walk. Lot of places to visit. W'eve had a great time. The prices are very reasonable. We will visit this nice city again in future.
Other trip Apr 26, 2014
"Excellent for a price"
You would find that a newly build 4-star hotel in Vienna is a way better but a lot more expensive too. If you want a big room in a hotel very close to the Center, clean and not old linens and towels, free wifi and breakfast, good service and all this for less than 100 US than you have a deal! One thing I didn't like - no kettle and no way to have tea/coffee in room
3 night business trip Nov 10, 2013
Boris
"Excellent location & hotel for the price!!"
District 4 is a great location. Close to the market and city center makes for a short walk or fairly cheap cab ride. Hotel staff was excellent in planning our sightseeing requests. I noticed many hotels charge for breakfast but it is included here and was excellent. The only reason I rated a 4 was for a very spotted stained carpet that needed attention. Would definitely stay there again!!!!
4 night family trip Sep 10, 2013
WayneW
"Convenient location"
Staff are very friendly and helpful.
4 night family trip Aug 10, 2013
Elaine
"Very disappointing"
We stayed one hour and decided not to stay due to lack of cleanliness, no outlets, pictures online misrepresented the size, decor and condition of room. It was very small, dirty, chipped paint and musty smell. The conceirge was professional and helpful in my checking out and getting a refund.
Other trip Aug 13, 2013
"Delivered what it advertised"
I got what I expected at the Johann Strauss--a basic hotel in an older building in a reasonably convenient neighborhood. The u-bahn is less than a block away. The staff was always pleasant and helpful to every patron. The first floor is barely above the sidewalk, so no open curtains. Plus there is a bright street light. Rooms on the corner get a lot of street noise. Further back less street noise, but no wifi. Wifi in bar slow. They do have computer with printer for boarding passes. The a/c is OK for usual temps in Vienna. Bed was OK. English language TV channels. Sufficient electrical outlets. Frig. Bath was fine, just noisy drain. Breakfast buffet extensive.
5 night business trip Jul 2, 2013
Kay
"Great Location In Vienna"
This is a fine hotel near the center of Vienna and within walking distance of many attractions. The front desk staff are warm and helpful and the breakfast buffet is one of best that I have experienced anywhere in Austria. My only reservation with the hotel was the quality of the matress. There were twin beds in the room. I tried using both of them and each one stressed my back.
5 night trip May 11, 2013
"Worderful charm and comfort"
We enjoyed the charm and comfort of this hotel. The Breakfast was awsome! The hotel is within walking distance to many resturants and the big outdoor market. The days were cloudy, so we could not get our directional bearing from the Sun to guide us back to the Hotel. The streets are very confusing, so I recomend using a Taxi to return to the Hotel. We also recomend the Weider Brau resturant for Dinner.
Other trip Apr 8, 2013
Brad & Brenda
"Good Vienna Option"
Good medium budget Hotel. Great location, can walk to most places
Other trip Mar 15, 2013
Rob
"Great hotel ! Monica the Great !"
Excellent location , very helpful staff especially Monica !!! very clean , very rich & varied breakfast . Exceeded our expectations !!!!
Other trip Dec 16, 2012
Jenny
"Centrally located."
Staff was helpful , and the breakfast was excellent.
Other trip Nov 24, 2012
"Easy access to metro & must see sights"
Very satisified with hotel stay. We loved the breakfast. They even prepared us a box breakfast (yest, it was good) on the day we had a very early excursion to catch and could not make the normal eating time. Very pleasurable staff and helpful.
3 night trip Oct 1, 2012
The building is 100 year old (Altbau). Very well maintained. Breakfast is good. Only one minute walk to the subway station. Free WiFi.
Other trip Oct 6, 2012
"No complaints"
great breakfast. A non-smoking hotel but one guest was surely smoking, not the hotels fault and did not rise to a level of irritation.Nice place, helpful and friendly staff, near subway and opera.
Business trip Oct 1, 2012
DH
Great location, just across the street from the metro and easy walking to the primary sites.
Other trip Sep 3, 2012
"Our family loved, loved Hotel Johann Strauss!"
Super friendly, courteous, knowledgeable, and helpful staff. Excellent room size, accomodations for our family of 3 (one child 5 years). Breakfast substantial and tastey. Great location even though the metro across the street was under reconstruction for expansion it was an easy walk to city center and sites (even with a stroller). If the metro was open, wow, what a great location. Hotel room has lovely high ceilings and Klimt pictures and decor. We left at 5:30 am for the airport missing breakfast which starts at 6:30 am. The staff packed us sandwiches to go and fruit-on their own and no charge. How nice was that!!! Highly recommend especially for families.
3 night trip Aug 9, 2012

"Nice and near city center"
Nice location. A short walk to the city center. Very near the underground subway
2 night romance trip May 22, 2015
SG
"Close to transit"
Nice comfortable, near transit and the train station
2 night business trip May 21, 2015
"Very quiet, walking distance to city center"
I am very happy with my stay there. I was very convenient for attending the conference. Also at walking distance from the city center. I enjoyed walking to and visiting to the Belvedere on the afternoon of my arrival.
Other trip Apr 17, 2015
"Nice neighbourhood"
Close to subway, easy access to everything. Great buffet breakfast, staff did not speak English very well if at all. Needs updating but ok for the price.
Other trip Jan 1, 2015
jeff
"A stupid explanation"
During check-out a girl at the reception refused to issue receipt or any other document certifying the payment of my accommodation because supposedly I booked a room through Expedia. My argument that I am a user of Hotels.com and this situation smells of incompetence lead to any results. She promised that the chief of staff will contact with me. But until now there is no information from the hotel???!!!!
1 night business trip Nov 15, 2014
ARAM
"good location"
Vienna is amazing. Very good breakfast and efficient shower
Scotty
"A lovely hotel with lots of character"
I've stayed at the hotel multiple times a few years ago and as soon as I knew I was going back to Vienna, this was the first hotel I looked for. It's an old hotel, but has loads of character, is clean, in good condition, and the staff are very friendly. It's also conveniently located close to the metro. And you get to listen to a Viennese Waltz over breakfast! :)
1 night business trip Nov 4, 2014
Philip
"Not what was promised"
How this has a four star rating is just beyond me!!!! The location is great, the room was tiny and certainly not the queen bed and bath that was promised in tbe booking. Decor from the ?? Suggest that you look elsewhere.
3 night trip with friends Oct 3, 2014
Suzie
"Good location & value for money"
The hotel was well located right by an underground station. The rooms were large & the breakfast selection was extensive.
Other trip Sep 1, 2014
Sally
We stayed at Johann Straus for a week. The hotel is in a good location. 10-15 min. Walk to St. stephanplatz and a min. Walk to the nearest tube station. The staff were friendly and breakfast was ver good. During our entire stay, the bed sheets were changed once and the duvet covers and pillowcases not at all! Despite this the rooms were clean and comfortable.
Other trip Jul 13, 2014
Tara
"Excellent hotel"
The hotel was excellent in every way, close to metro station, area nice, spacious room and clean. Breakfast was one of the best. We paid similar amount for hotels in Paris, Rome and they were only half as good. Highly recommended for this budget range.
2 night trip Jul 4, 2014
Nanno
"Looked after from start to finish"
What a great hotel - we where looked after by Monica on reception on arrival and the rest of the reception team for the rest of out weekend stay. Room was lovely,clean and spacious. breakfast was hearty and set you up for the day. We would definitely stay again.
Other trip Mar 31, 2014
"Hotel near to the state opera house"
I was traveling alone on this trip and couldn't have received a better welcome at the hotel. The woman who greeted me, Marta, was extremely helpful and welcoming. I was very impressed as I travel a lot. The breakfast was amazing and nothing usually gets me up before 9.30. All the food was very fresh. I came back at 4.15am after going out on the Saturday night and somebody was on the desk. I highly recommend this hotel. It made my stay in Vienna more enjoyable. Thank you!
Other trip Mar 20, 2014
anne
"Great hotel, good location, excellent staff,"
Nice hotel, could do with updating, room was looking tired and in need of a freshen up.
2 night romance trip Mar 9, 2014
JDW
"Great hotel in an excellent location"
It was the third time this year that I stayed at the Johann Strauss and, as usual, I was very happy with the stay. My room was warm, clean and comfortable; the breakfast excellent. The hotel has a unique atmosphere, which is much owed to its friendly and helpful international staff.
Other trip Nov 29, 2013
Joanna
"Good location."
Hotel was very close to Taubstummengasse underground station and a meeting I had to attend the following day.
Other trip Nov 18, 2013
easy access to surrounding area by the subway and trains
3 night trip Oct 20, 2013
The hotel's location was great--right outside the UBahn station. And the breakfast they provided in the price was a pretty nice spread. The elevator was quite slow and small. We were on the 6th floor with a view of the building across the street. The bathroom had an odd setup--was split into 2 rooms-- a toilet room (no sink) and around the corner, the sink, bidet, and tub/shower. The hotel itself was fine but nothing spectacular. I give it a 3 star rating--not a 4-star hotel, but the price is right for a decent place to stay with a great location for public transport.
2 night romance trip Oct 18, 2013
M
"Pleasant hotel with good location."
A very enjoyable 4 night city break here. Though not a modern hotel it had character and a peaceful atmosphere.
Other trip Oct 13, 2013
Andy
"We would definitely stay here again"
Having spent a fair time reviewing possible hotels to book for our stay in Vienna I kept coming back to this one - but was concerned that there were a few online reviews that are quite negative. However we decided that we would make our booking and are delighted that we did. In our opinion, the hotel proved to be simply superb value, very comfortable, very clean and very friendly. A real find! The staff are all helpful, speaking English and offering advice and assistance when requested. They seem to take a real pleasure in doing their job. The rooms we had were clean, spacious, well-furnished and comfortable, with a good sized ensuite bathroom. Free internet access is provided. The breakfast, included in the room price, was extremely good quality, lots of choice including eggs, bacon and sausages, plus a wide-ranging cold buffet. There is also a comfortable bar area where as well as getting a drink after a day out, they serve coffee etc. The location of the hotel is also another plus, being very close to Taubstummengasse U-bahn station which gets you in and out of the centre of Vienna very quickly. (However you don’t hear the underground trains at all.) Connection with the airport is also cheaply and easily done using the CAT rail-link service from the airport arrivals area to Landstrasse-Mitte station where you get the U-bahn to the hotel Another bonus is the nearby restaurant in the side street around the corner from the hotel entrance, for evening meals.
Other trip Sep 15, 2013
Yorkshireman
"Great location, great service!"
Hotel was great! The area was very safe, steps to the UBahn station, and about a 10 minute walk to the city centre! The hotel was clean and quiet. Looks old-fashioned, but updated. Clean, wi-fi available in the rooms, and the breakfast buffet is delicious! The staff is very helpful, too - one morning, we had to leave early for a tour and would have missed breakfast, but the staff was kind enough to pack a huge breakfast for us to go! Would definitely stay there again in the future.
4 night trip with friends Aug 26, 2013
"Very good hotel"
I have stayed at this hotel before and this time, as usual, it was a very pleasant experience. The room was very clean, the hotel staff extremely friendly. Blends well with Vienna's exceptional atmosphere.
Other trip Aug 13, 2013
Jo
"An ideal hotel to explore from."
A well placed hotel with large rooms and a convenient u-bahn close by. Would recommend airport transfer by s-bahn and u-bahn for under 5 euros . Plenty of choice for breakfast and rooms cleaned daily. Within walking distance of the main station and Karlsplatz.
Other trip Jul 29, 2013
The single elevator is so slow and small, limited 5 person/450 kg. Would have trouble getting baggage down during check out rush. May also pose problem for wheel chairs. The 19th century style one key per room with heavy weight to leave at front desk when going out, once looked from inside, no one can get in during emergency except breaking down the door. The computer desk chair is a clumsy lounge chair, not office chair with casters and height adjustment. The phone pad has no English, unable to find which one is for front desk, house keeper, maintenance or kitchen (there is no room service anyway). I have tried all keys at 11 pm to order a wake up call and none was answered. The air conditioning is a plus for hotels in this price range.
4 night trip Jul 14, 2013