All hotels in Freeport, Grand Bahama Island, Bahamas
Sea Horse Road at Port Lucaya, Lucaya, Freeport, Grand Bahama, Bahamas, ‏‎800-491-6126

"A bit run down but great location"
I have stayed here twice before in the same type of room with living room, bedroom and kitchenette. Found it great on those occasions. This time I took my son for just one night as we had to attend a concert. I had requested a roll-out bed on Hotels.com but when we got here there was much discussion and eventually we ended up in rm249 with a rollaway bed, which they brought. This was fine. However the room obviously had not been used for a while as there was dead vines all over over the balcony, which had been clipped from below but not cleared away. The fan in the living room did not work at all, and the hot water tank, (located in a closet with the AC), was not functioning as it should, because the water was barely lukewarm out of the tap. I must say though that the front desk were very considerate when I mentioned all of this when we checked out and did not charge for the late checkout that we had asked for! This hotel would be great for families as there is a pool, resturant and access to tours which they can book. There is also the Lucaya marketplace just steps away, with restaurants, shops and entertainment on Saturday evenings. Good value and a whole lot quieter thatn the Grand Lucaya across the road :)
1 night business trip May 17, 2014
Elizabeth Thornton
"Lovely hotel, highly recommended"
Woman tavelling on my own - Stayed for a long weekend. Found hotel to be very close to everything. Would recommend including the breakfast in a booking - good selection and choices Pools/hot tub always quiet so a very relaxing place and free transfer via boat to a local beach was great Room was clean and tidy, toiletries/coffee etc refilled every day Highly recommend eating at Sabo, hotel restaurant, goon choice of food, peppered steak and seafood pasta was fantastic and the barman, Vandyke was very friendly
Other trip May 12, 2014
"once idyllic hotel needs a little TLC"
Upon completion of initial construction, this hotel must have been wonderful. The suite we were in was still quite nice, but was simply lacking in regular maintenance. For example, a wooden slat in the balcony overhang had partially fallen down and has been left like that. And a ripped chair cover and stained couch cover had not been replaced. Similar neglected tasks could be seen throughout. That said, the room was spacious and clean and had a lovely balcony overlooking the canal. The staff in the hotel lobby were either under-trained or did not particularly care about the guests. We waited more than 10 minutes to check in (there was no one in line) while the sole clerk chatted on a phone call and others refused to come out of the office. We waited about 15 hours for shampoo (the room had 2 body washes but no shampoo.) There was no concierge and the staff at the front desk were particularly unhelpful when it came to recommending or setting up excursions. Plan to do that yourself. (Perhaps some of the issues were due to the Manager being on vacation.) A boat picked up and returned guests on an hourly basis for trips to nearby Taino beach. There is a floating dock on the canal next to the hotel that can be reserved for an evening dinner - very nice. We saw a shark swim by after dinner. They give you bread to feed the dozens of fish swimming nearby. The Flying Fish restaurant next door is truly excellent. But plan to spend like a top-notch restaurant in the states.
Other trip Apr 30, 2014
Bahama newbie
It's a good hotel for the money but I prefer a resort on the beach.
Other trip Apr 23, 2014
BG
"Will definitely be back."
Quiet, not crowded, pools were nice, marketplace and casino are within walking distance. The free ferry to Taino Beach leaves right from the hotel and I definitely recommend taking it. They kept our room very clean and we felt perfectly safe walking around the area.
Other trip Apr 23, 2014
Tonto
"You get what you pay for"
When we reserved the room, we had a standard rate. The room was small and had a poor view. When we asked for a different room, we were told that all the standard rooms were basically the same but we could upgrade for an additional fee. We were glad we did! We enjoyed the remainder of the stay. The breakfast was worth prepaying for. It was delicious. The food at the Sabor Restaurant was excellent!!
Other trip Apr 19, 2014
Cheryl
"Traveller beware"
In the past I stayed in this hotel many times fro business reasons, also that the price included the use of WIFI. Now Freeport not just the hotel is changing. The wifi is not longer for free, plus on checking out there were two guest reporting that their rooms have been broke in by robbers, they took computers, passport money, etc, while the guest went for breakfast at 0630 am.
1 night trip Apr 13, 2014
Jleo
"good hotel; easy shuttle to beach; very nice pool"
great value. strong vibe of things running on "island time" with staff, which is refreshing. everyone was pleasant, relaxed, and generally helpful. very nice pools; not too crowded.
Other trip Apr 15, 2014
Been to Pelican Bay several times, don't stay anywhere else when he come to Freeport, nice warm friendly staff and very comfortable stay, however did notice this time round that overall maintenance of the buildings and its surrounds poor, needs a to be painted and updated.
1 night trip Apr 5, 2014
"Nice Hotel In town"
Location Of Hotel Was Great, Easy Walking Distance To The Town Center With Lots Of Restaurants. Free Water Taxi To Beach Which Is An Added Bonus. Staff Was Friendly.
Other trip Apr 3, 2014
"Nice Hotel in Great Location"
Nice hotel conveniently located to shopping, flea market, restaurants, bars and an interesting marina. Beach great and required a short fun boat ride to get to it. Short like 10 minutes. Four very nice pools.
Other trip Apr 1, 2014
"Boring room was not like picture on internet."
Not what I expected. I did get a deal that is why I chose this hotel instead of lucayan were I always stay
Other trip Mar 31, 2014
"Great hotel lovely location"
I enjoyed staying at pelican bay resort. They had great staff very helpful to any questions you might have. The only problems we had was when we ordered a microwave they never had one avail all five days we were there. I'd recommend requesting one previous to arrival hard to get one in your room few avail. Also hot tub was never actually hot more luke warm. Overall pools and room were not amazingly well kept but comfortable. I'd recommend this resort to anyone that wants to be in a central location. Walking distance to casino, restaurants, mrkt place, beaches, tours/activities, etc. This was the Best vacation I've ever had. Would go back :)
Other trip Mar 26, 2014
"Very nice rooms and quiet with beautiful grounds"
Loved staying at pelican bay but even though we has been a repeat vacationer they didn't upgrade us this time, so sad because the rooms and suite are beautiful! We enjoyed a quiet beautiful five days. The water taxi was in repair but the hotel hired taxis to bring us back and forth to the beach. Which was lovely. I will book there again
Other trip Mar 24, 2014
Susie
"Pelican Bay Resort needs help"
Upon check-in we found ourselves in a first floor room that would require the sliding door to be closed/locked all the time. We asked for a different room and was given one on the third/top floor. It had a beautiful view of the canal and we could open our sliding door onto the patio attached to our room. It was quite serene except when the party boats were passing by or when the music wasn't blasting from the marketplace. We loved our view and it really was important to us. However, the air conditioner was faulty and the ceiling fan only worked on high speed. The maintenance person didn't know what to do. Noise and temperature control were a problem. The walls in the bathroom hadn't been painted in years and the railing on the patio was broken. It was obvious that the hotel needed major upgrading. The door to the room needed WD forty badly. It stuck and made alot of noise when opening/closing. The room door also needed a paint job. Looked like bugs stuck all over it. The breakfasts were very nice. They were in a separate bldg on the top 4th floor. We could eat outside overlooking the canal which was great. The food was very good. The staff were cordial but not real helpful. We had an overall lovely time and it's because of the view, the weather, and the good food. The overall service on the island though was poor especially in the restaurants including the hotel restaurant, Sabor.
Other trip Mar 23, 2014
Wynne
"Hotel room overlooks the canal"
Very pleasant staff. Everything worked. We were within walking distance to the marketplace and casino, many restaurants and a small beach. All of the pools were open. The free water taxi to Taino beach wasn't running one day so they had a taxi pick us up and bring us at no charge. Taino beach was nice...definitely would go there than to bother with the one down the street by the police station. The food at Sabor's and Dive in we're good. The jalapeño shrimp at Sabor's were great. The lobster BLT at the dive in grill was great. Flying Fish was pricey but worth a nice meal out. Enjoyed the mahi mahi and steak. Entertainment in the square on Fri and Sat nights. We had a great time and hope to go back. We would go to Pelican Bay again but be sure to upgrade your room. It's worth it. The bed was comfortable too.
Other trip Mar 18, 2014
Sunshine
"Nice Place to Stay in Freeport"
The room was spacious and clean. The bed was comfortable. The waterside view was more of the pool than of the ocean but the view from the balcony was beautiful. The location was extremely convenient for walking to the marketplace, restaurants, and access to activities/tours/watersports. Overall it was a very enjoyable visit!
Other trip Mar 13, 2014
"Nice hotel with lots of quiet pools and viewpoints"
The hotel has a great location with lots of quiet pools and viewpoints. A free ferry is available to the beach close by. Breakfast outside to admire the sunrise and views over the marina.
Other trip Mar 8, 2014
"Loved it!!"
Had an amazing experience! This hotel had everything we needed and was in an excellent location!!
Other trip Mar 8, 2014
"Wonderful stay at Pelican Bay!"
Spent seven days - February 22 - March 1, 2014. Hotel is a three star property with an excellent location adjacent to Port Lucaya Markeplace, Unexsco (Dive Shop) and wonderful restaurants. Hotel could use some updating (old TV - which we did not care about, but some might). However, room was good size, had comfortable bed and plenty of hot water for tub/shower. Staff was extremely pleasant and helpful. Sabor, restaurant on site, served good to excellent food at lunch and dinner. Also, fabulous restaurant, Flying Fish is just off property grounds. Had breakfast buffet included in package - omlettes, cereal, pastries, fruit, juice - available. Would definitely return and would have preferred to stay for two weeks instead of one.
Other trip Mar 3, 2014
Pat
"A little dated but worth evey penny"
A few things were broken and didn't work ice machine tv was shoot vending machines out of order if you got to breakfast late it was wiped out my room safe didn't work etc however the people are very nice and accommodating.. I think its getting a little old and needs some tlc.. I would definitely go back Thank You Barry
Other trip Feb 23, 2014
"The property and common facilities are excellent."
The staff are pleasant, and greet with smiles and genuine care.
Other trip Feb 23, 2014
Norman
"Room biggest disappointment"
Room paid for never available. Staff nice, but never got the room showed on website
Other trip Feb 19, 2014
"Not as presented"
Grounds are pretty. However room ordered and paid for never received. Room shown and king sized bed never received. Resort appears to be I. Two different segments, rooms and suites. Suites presented as what is expected with king sized beds, however received room with king- sized bed only after persistent request. Staff very nice, but passive. Accommodations were ok, but rooms need upgrading.
Other trip Feb 18, 2014
"Pelican bay"
Nice hotel, staff makes you feel at home, been to the Bahamas three times and I've only booked here at pelican bay
Other trip Feb 18, 2014
naomi
"Better Than Expected!"
Great choice right next to restaurants, shops, UNEXSO (dive, snorkeling trips.) Quieter and more intimate than larger, spashier Grand Lucayan-which also looked nice.) Room spacious w/ modern bathroom, very clean. Hotel well maintained, nice landscaping. Actually nicer than the pix lead you to believe. Staff friendly, helpful. Not right on beach, but a short walk away. Surrounded on 3 sides by water and has at least 2 nice pools. Sabor restaurant best meal of trip and nice atmosphere. Would definitely recommend.
Other trip Feb 13, 2014
Tired O'Winter
"Expected less but got the Best!"
I go to Freeport often but normally I stay at the Grand Lucayan directly in front of the Pelican Bay. This particular time, I chose to stay at the Pelican Bay. I was extremely optimistic about doing this but it turned out to be better than I expected. I chose to upgrade my room to a Stateroom with the view of the canal. Great choice! The room was extremely spacious and offered a great little kitchenette. I felt as though I was in a little apartment and not a regular room. The bedroom was separate from the living area and the restroom was away from the bedroom. There was an outdoor patio that had beach like lounge chairs that were very comfortable. We were able to take advantage of those a lot as we sat and watch the sun go down over the canal and some mornings watch it come up. The staff at the front desk were very courteous and definitely enjoyed the complimentary drinks at the Sabor restaurant connected to the hotel. We really didn't have to leave the hotel for anything, as we were in walking distance to the beach, Port Lucaya, restaurants, different activities and other things. However, we did rent a car to go on some little tours that we miss other times we were there. I am definitely staying here again when I return, especially if the price is right. Only thing that I could recommend them doing is updating there business room. It could definitely use some updating but not all that bad. I don't have any clean pictures to post, sorry! :)
Other trip Feb 12, 2014
Traveling
"Place to relax-walking distance to food & beach"
Nice hotel, suggest waterside stateroom for view of canal. Breakfast area was good and omelettes as well. 3 pools and a hot tub (ask for heat), overall nice facilities, steps from Port Lucayan Marketplace. Meas include tips, only one restaurant fell shirt on service. Molly Malone's was great, tap water not bad but I suggest bottle or jug for general consumption. Weather awesome, free beach taxi to private beach.
Other trip Feb 9, 2014
likes to relax
"Beautiful resort, frustrating services"
I have to compare Pelican Bay with Grand Lucayan since they're right across the street from each other. Pelican Bay is absolutely beautiful and if being on the beach isn't mandatory, I recommend it. In comparison, Grand Lucayan loses out big time in the charm department, being almost medicinal. My room at PB was gorgeous AND they gave me a free upgrade to a suite. Dinner at the restaurant was wonderful, and breakfast was in a beautiful building with floor to ceiling windows. But there were many difficulties, which could be easily remedied with a proper guest info package in the room. There was a refrigerator and microwave, but no mini bar and no vending machines nearby. I had to go to the restaurant to buy a can of soda. I wasn't given a map when I checked in so I ended up wandering all over the place before I found my room because the resort comprises many buildings. (I was given directions like this: Go out the door, take a right, go to the end of the walkway near the table and take a left, take the next right, go up to the third floor and it's the 2nd door on the right - even with a great memory it was impossible. Showing me on a map would have been much easier). There wasn't a map in the room either! No ph #s, no phone instructions, no wifi instructions, no tv guide, no restaurant info (on-site or local). But when I finally went back down to the front desk, they were very helpful. Overall, my stay at PB was pleasant and I'll stay there again.
Other trip Feb 8, 2014
Vivian
"Escaping the snow."
My husband and I decided we had to escape the bitter cold we were having here in south eastern VA. We booked this trip on Monday and flew out on Thusday!! We propbably would have been happy sleeping on chairs on the beach in the 80 degree temps :) Pelican Bay was a nice resort in a great location. Just what we needed. The staff was very nice and helpful with any questions we had. Our room was comforatable and had a nice view of the waterway. There were a few minor issuses but we just overlooked them....the room was a little damp smelling and the bath tub drained very slowly. The ice make on our floor never work and the vending machine was also broken. Thet def needed to do some upkeep. For the most part we very vey pleased with the resort. We are beach people so that had a hugh influance on our attitudes. They have a free water taxi that takes you over to Tanio beach. It was about an 8 min ride. Tanio was a nice beach and we also had acsess to the resort over there. They had a large pool with a swim up bar and a lazy river. Just what we were looking for. Pelican Bay is a 5 min walk over to Port Lucaya markret place. There are several shops, resturants and open area bars. They had entertainment in sq. every evening. We really enjoyed the area. The water Taxi driver droped us off at Red Beards on Sunday for the superbowl. We had a great time at Red Beards! The owner, Brian is a very friendly and is a supporter on the local animal shelter.
Other trip Feb 7, 2014
Tracy
"Wedding Stay"
Stayed at the hotel for a wedding. Overall the room was clean but the amibance was not very appealing. Just a basic room, no frills.
Other trip Feb 6, 2014
"Glad my wife wasn't with me"
I've been traveling to the Port Lucaya area for the past 20 years but this is the first and last stay at this hotel. It looks great from the outside but the room I was in was filthy. The tub did not drain properly causing me to stand in ankle deep soapy water by the end of my shower. The faucet in the bathroom was so corroded it sprayed all over the counter top every time I used it and what water did manage to stay in the sink drained as slow as the tub. I used one of the white hotel towels to mop up some water on the bathroom floor (because of the sink spray) and was shocked at how dirty the towel was just from wiping a small area, my white socks looked like I had been running around in the parking lot. You would think guests would receive free WiFi but no, that is an additional $12.95 a day. It doesn't take a lot to please me but this was terrible.
Other trip Jan 28, 2014
It had everything I need except a microwave other then that everything was great
Other trip Jan 28, 2014
Hunnybun
"Less than meets the eye"
The hotel property looks amazing from the outside and truly the outside appearance is amazing, but hotel resembled more of a motel. Compared to the hotel across the street, this hotel doesnot meet general standards, is beneath. Disappointing
1 night trip Jan 21, 2014
"A nice trip."
We were happy with this for the most part. I think internet should be included with the room and not an extra fee. The hot tub was cold. There were dirty "icky" finger prints on the walls around the toilet. Plumbing was not working the greatest. On the other hand very friendly staff. If we asked for anything they got right on it.
Other trip Jan 27, 2014
Annie
"Nice stay for the money"
This was a nice hotel/resort. Excellent location - short walking distance to the marketplace. The hotel lobby, pools, restaurant are all nice. The rooms are just a little less than excellent but still just fine. My room was clean and well stocked...just not luxurious. I was perfectly comfortable. The staff was very friendly and eager to please.
Other trip Jan 22, 2014
Bridgette
"Excellent get away spot"
People are really nice all around. They have really nice suites
Other trip Jan 12, 2014
"a great hotel for people who use the UNEXSO"
I had spent about 1 week in this hotel at between the beginning of the year from the end of the year. This hotel was best location for people who use the UNEXSO. However, room cleaning time was irregular. Also, there was a case that a stock of beach towels is missing.
Other trip Jan 10, 2014
Great place, hotel was accommodating and very friendly.
Other trip Jan 10, 2014
"Disorganized"
When we arrived for our 4 night stay, we were told that the property was overbooked and could not accommodate us for the first night. Their solution was to put us up in a hotel 20 minutes away and they offered us complimentary dinner and breakfasts. I couldn't believe they weren't offering to comp the whole trip. We ended up staying across the street at the Grand Lucayan (which has a host of separate problems) so we never even stayed here. So disappointed with the disorganization.
Other trip Jan 2, 2014
Monica
"Great Place to Relax"
The staff and management at this hotel went out of their way to make sure everything was right. They are all exceptionally nice and genuinely concerned with doing whatever it takes for you to enjoy your stay. Highly recommend the Waterside Staterooms, worth the cost over the standard room, nicely appointed and very relaxing.
Other trip Jan 1, 2014
"Escape from the cold for Chrismas"
Great water taxi to the best beach on the island, even though the taxi was definitely on island time. Nice bar pool. Comfortable bed. Great deck with chairs. Sticky floors, rundown bathroom, and leaking water across from the elevator.
Other trip Dec 31, 2013
Vikki
no heated pools...loud appliances...no sleep! Don't bother it's not 4 star by far.
Other trip Dec 26, 2013
"this hotel is 2star top"
terible
Other trip Dec 19, 2013
"it's a great get- and hideaway"
easy to reach from the port or airport, easily accessable from hiway, need more street signs, you can get easily lost - luckily its a small island, not all like a breakfast buffet, give us a choice for small appetites
Other trip Dec 15, 2013
When the desk clerk learned I was a solo traveler, she changed my hotel room from a quiet waterfront room to a pool-/bar-front room. I didn't think anything of it at the time, but it was annoying on Saturday evening when I had to go to sleep for a 0430 Sunday wakeup call while the bar was thumping and loud. I don't fault the desk clerk, but I wasn't there to party.
Other trip Dec 2, 2013
"Dive, dive, dive"
Unexo is awesome
Other trip Dec 1, 2013
"Not what expected"
The hotel was very dated. The room we had was dirty, even had mold growing on the shower curtain. We. notified the staff that our door didn't lock and they never came to fix it The chairs on the patio were ready to fall apart! The tv was old and did not get good reception. We did not feel comfortable there After 2 days we decided to leave and go across the street to the beautiful Grand Lucayan. It was wonderful and right on the ocean! The staff couldn't have been nicer! We found out we weren't the only ones to change hotels. Don't waste your money on Pelican Bay!
Other trip Nov 18, 2013
"Nice staff not so nice room"
The TV picture was snowy, the room smelled musty, no pictures on the wall for decor, and the drawers on the dresser were hard to open. I wasa bit surprised to find the Pelican Resort to be this kind of substandard presentation and honestly I am really not a complainer, but I stayed four nights and really wanted to ask for some kind of discount off my credit card. I will say the staff were very nice and professional.
Other trip Nov 16, 2013
"Great Location especially for meetings and confere"
Check in was a breeze, the whole island inclusive of the hotel grounds and rooms were exceptionally clean, all the time!! Breakfast was great, mainly continental, and the Unexso building next door offered various water-sports and activities like swimming with dolphins. The craft market and a lovely local mall were also next door to the hotel quite convenient. Enjoyed my stay immensely....
Other trip Nov 12, 2013