All hotels in Liverpool, England, United Kingdom
You can collect Welcome Rewards® nights here293-297 Edge Lane, Fairfield, Liverpool, England, L7 9LD, United Kingdom, ‏‎800-491-6126

2.7
    2.9

"Major update needed"
Quite run down and needing major renovation. Staff friendly. Good car park. Room cleanliness was good but multiple plates from another rooms room service were on the floor of the corridor for over 18 hours. Someone should be spot checking all of the shared spaces. I dont normally give bad reviews but I hope this building does get the attention it needs to bring it up to the standard it should be in such a great city.
2 night romance trip Mar 6, 2015
"We'd stay here again."
Stayed here before and the hotel is in a good location, extremely clean. Spotless bedding and towels. The bathroom is also very clean. Yes, the hotel is a little dated but it's really comfortable, the gardens are absolutely beautiful. We didn't have breakfast but it's priced at £6 per person so good value.
2 night family trip Feb 26, 2015
Elsa
"Good value at a reasonable cost"
Comfortable and large bed much appreciated by this 6 foot 2 inch customer. Only things which didn't work were the reading lamp (bulb gone?) and one 13 amp socket. Shower excellent, toilet flush gave trouble but was promptly fixed. Reception staff friendly and cooperative. Breakfast a little limited in scope but otherwise quickly and pleasantly served. We would stay there again.
2 night romance trip Feb 26, 2015
"location , location"
were going to vist anfield football club and watch match on evening. location good ,staff very helpful and polite. location great for our trip and also city centre though we didn't have time to get there.
1 night trip with friends Jan 20, 2015
"Straightforward stay, no problems here."
I stayed because I am originally from Liverpool and needed to visit for one night only to visit family. It served the purpose well, the service was very straightforward and the room size was more generous than is standard for the price. Also it had a really nice view over the city and was actually really comfortable (TV, tea and coffee in the room, nice). The only thing I would say is that leaving the hotel grounds could be made easier for guests, it is a bit convoluted as you have to walk right around the car park and there is weak lighting there at night, so it did not feel too safe. On a small point, the hotel could do with a bit of investment/ refurbishment, but this is just detail and wouldn't stop me from staying again - (i.e. the hairdryer in the room was broken, awful 90s wallpaper and the lift is a bit ancient - just minor points, no big hindrance).
1 night family trip Jan 17, 2015
"Close to airport"
We only stayed for one night whilst waiting to go to airport for our flight home, The shower leaked and the hot water tap could be turned round but otherwise the room was ok, We asked the receptionist how to get to town center and he said taxi is best but never offered to phone one for us, The location is nice and quiet but even though the reviews say one mile to center we found it a lot further
Other trip Dec 17, 2014
shirley
"Enjoyable stay"
Everything was okay about the stay, except for the WIFI connection as reception on the 3rd floor was poor.
4 night business trip Nov 17, 2014
"Great for a short break"
Enjoyed our stay for one night in Liverpool at the Devonshire. Ticked all the boxes.
Other trip Oct 30, 2014
Nigel
"A great value stay."
Great value. Rooms very clean but 'tired'. Staff were great. Note that the restaurant is closed on Sunday. Also, entrance is around the back from the main road entrance.
Other trip Oct 28, 2014
"Over night"
I've got to admit I wouldn't return to this hotel. I wouldn't recommend it either. If I was on a stag do, or working in the area then it may be ok. But i feel the place is unloved and unkept. My room was clean and comfortable but a little scruffy round the edges. When I return to Liverpool i will pay that little bit extra and stay more central with the finishing touches and eye for detail, which The Devonshire lacks.
Other trip Oct 26, 2014
visitor
"Get what you pay for"
Hotel staff were very friendly, just needed a place to sleep for a couple of nights, so was not looking for finished top quality hotel. Dated decor, some items not working, didn't clean room between days, but good value so overall happy that we got.
2 night trip Oct 17, 2014
"Good hotel"
Good hotel for am overnight stay!
1 night business trip Oct 7, 2014
Henrique
"Poor Quality would never stay again"
Very dated decor, springs sticking out of bed , wallpaper hanging off wall, carpets not fitted, bathroom a disgrace. Would never stay again, the pictures on the website are telling lies
1 night trip Sep 30, 2014
J D
"Nice hotel with character,needs a bit of upgrading"
An old hotel with very nice helpful staff. Some parts need up grading . Like carpets etc. and bath rooms. Beds were comfortable and bed linen spotless. I prefer old and lots of character rather than new square boxes. Meals were excellent and so was the price. We stayed here when we went to visit the Coronation Street tour, only 40 minutes away in Manchester. It was very hard to control the shower temperature. If you want perfect don't stay here, if you enjoy character this is for you.
Other trip Sep 4, 2014
Anne
"ended up in separate rooms"
Booked a triple room at this hotel on the internet, called up to tell the receptionist we would check in late. She told us she doesn't have any rooms available and there was a check in fault - we would never have known if we hadn't have called them. She tried to look for other hotels for us in the area and I guess she didn't succeed as prices in the area that night were extortionate and then 2 rooms magically became available in the hotel so we had to split our group up while 2 went in one room on the east wing and 1 went on the completely other side of the hotel- other than that it's about 5 minutes from Liverpool City centre and it's pretty cheap to get a cab into town- the rooms are really simple and most fixtures are broken - our light was flickering and the hotel couldn't fix it and told us to just put up with it. Asked for a late check out which is available upon request subject to availability- the lady told us they were fully booked so we couldn't have a late check out . The next morning I went down to book an extra day and to my surprise they had rooms available -it made no sense- wouldn't stay at this hotel again but I guess for the price it's a passable stay- don't expect a 3* hotel
1 night trip with friends Aug 24, 2014
faz
Awful hotel, old dirty rooms
1 night trip Aug 24, 2014
Room was checked and drinks replenished every day. A little noisy at night due to a wedding but overall good.
3 night trip Aug 21, 2014
Great budget hotel, friendly staff and room was extremely clean. Recommended.
1 night business trip Aug 12, 2014
"Long past its prime"
In its heyday, this was probably an impressive establishment. Its Georgian edifice and park-like setting are still noteable today, though obscured by a cluster of seedy commercial enterprises which surround it now. But faded grandeur is a poor basis for a satisfying stay. The hotel is desperately tired and worn out, from its tatty lobby, through its dingy corridors, to its shabby and outdated rooms. We welcome period accoutrements and do not expect venerable properties to have brand new fittings - but the spacious quad family room was compromised by worn-out fixtures, dingy bedlinens and a bathroom that smelled of urine. Despite the quaint address on Edge Lane, the neighbourhood is now mostly dodgy commercial establishments along the unattractive commercial thoroughfare. Room access is compromised by multiple sets of stairs and varying levels in the hallways, complicated by stubborn self-closing fire doors and a complete lack of lifts or ramps. Cases have to be manhandled long distances on the long walk from the car park, or offloaded from your vehicle in the narrow alley at the rear of the hotel. I wish we could be more positive about this establishment, as it has the potential to be a unique alternative to the chain hotels. But its combination of shabby infrastructure, dubious hygiene, and unappealing location add up to an overall unsatisfying experience. We will not stay there again.
1 night family trip Jul 22, 2014
"comfy beds"
had a good night's sleep - great area
1 night trip Jun 21, 2014
"Where was the wi-fi?"
The hotel advertised wifi available in all rooms but it wasn't in mine. I like to do my work in my room not a public area. I was told that it works in public lounges but when I said I booked the hotel because it said Wifi was available was told it is! I pointed out it's not as no reception in my room and wasn't even offered an apology. On checking out was told I hadn't been charged fro breakfast (which may be was an apology?) but I'd already paid £12 for breakfast through Hotels.com As other's have said breakfast quite basic and not worth £12, very plastic sausage, 1 egg, bacon, beans and chopped canned tomatoe. The hotel does have a nice feel about it and was good for I needed to be in the morning so would book again, but would specify need a room with wifi.
1 night business trip Jun 3, 2014
Rob Morley
"Good hotel in a quiet backwater of Liverpool"
I liked this hotel, but it could have been better with minimum effort. Staff were friendly and helpful. It is located on busy Edge Lane but tucked away behind gardens, so there is no traffic noise. My only complaint is that the front room I was booked into only had net curtains, but the floodlights on the other side of the garden illuminating the hotel shone directly into my room, so sleeping can be a problem! This could easily be fixed by turning off the floodlights or adding curtains. Otherwise very good. You can walk into the centre of Liverpool if you are keen (we were)!
1 night trip May 27, 2014
"Known locally as Fawlty Towers by taxi drivers?"
Firstly, the hotel got my booking wrong. I requested two doubles and a twin. Got two triples and a twin. The first room offered had six power points - 4 of which did not work. The only power outlet that did work was right at the entrance of the room, behind the main door. No room for a table, or anything for that matter. We asked for a different room. We got a double. No wardrobe, just a hanger bar hung between the old fireplace and the side wall... and a cloth hanging shelf compartment about as wide as a shoe, supplemented by a 3-drawer unit which was about 9" across by 8" deep... so pretty useless! By this time we were exhausted after a 6 hour drive so took the room. My mistake... The walls were paper thin, so everyone that walked along the corridor outside our room sounded like Godzilla. Every door in the corridor could have benefited from a spray of WD40, as they all creaked noisily. Then we came to use the shower. It looked fine, however more water came out of the chrome pipe feeding the shower head than the head itself. The bathroom tiled floor was in desperate need of some grouting, as there were complete sections where there simply wasn't any.
Other trip May 27, 2014
GF
Beautiful view . Not the ritz but you get what you pay for . Staff very helpful
1 night trip May 4, 2014
"Handy for Liverpool centre and outskirts"
Practical for what we needed and reasonable price. Bathroom could do with some refreshment, the mould in the sealant was a little disappointing and the colour of the shower head speaks volumes as to when it was last cleaned! But the hotel was ok, the room a reasonable size, light and comfortable enough for a one night stay. In its day it must have been a wonderful place, but it needs a little refurbishment, which I suppose is why it was the cheapest hotel for us to book on that night!
Other trip May 6, 2014
"where to start..."
A disappointing stay; the appearance of building from the outside promises so much and then you enter the hotel. A rude receptionist greeted us after we had to ring to check in, she then just pointed us in the general direction of our room before turning around and walking off again. The room on entry appeared clean but looked cheap and nasty. The bedding was white but thin and cheap which gave the overall room an unpleasant feel. The bathroom was by far the best part of our room; it was clean and modern with a lovely shower and bath tub, the only problem was that you couldn't switch the towel heater off which meant that at 1 o'clock in the morning when we got to our room after attending a wedding the room was sweltering. When we awoke in the morning, we headed downstairs for breakfast, which was hugely underwhelming. The choice of breakfast cereals, yoghurts and fruit was a pleasant surprise but the cooked breakfast was the main downfall. The man serving the cooked breakfast was rude, enjoyed complaining about his job to any poor soul that would listen and had absolutely no manners. The cooked breakfast in itself was cheap and there was little choice. Not only that but the rude breakfast man had a love for clearing away plates before everyone on the table had finished eating. Definitely not worth the £85 I paid to stay there (which didn't include breakfast and was an additional £12).
1 night business trip Apr 12, 2014
jen
"Convenient, good price, comfortable"
Purchased at a low price and therefore was decent value for money. All the facilities you would expect from a hotel room for the price. Thanks.
Other trip Apr 19, 2014
"Good bed for the night"
The room was adequate for our needs as we only really needed a bed for the night. The room was spacious and mainly clean (a little dusty on top shelf of the wardobe). Hotel is around a 10 minute drive from town so taxi/car would be needed. Did not use the restaurant for breakfast so unable to comment on that. Staff were pleasant and hotel was quiet
1 night trip with friends Apr 12, 2014
Deb
"Dont book here if you want to sleep!"
On entering the hotel we were given the key to the room which when we got through to was clean and tidy but very basic. The heating was on and the room was warm but the heating was broken so you couldnt turn it down so it got quite hot. The taps would turn on and off but the top would come off in your hand. All of this said for what you pay you cant argue too much with the room. There was a wedding on so there was a lot of noise from the function room but it was bareable, what wasnt bareable was the fact that the walls were paper thin and you could hear every movement from the ajoining rooms. At one stage next door slumped onto their bed and phyiscally moved me from mine and then snoring all night kept me awake as if they were next to me. I was very disappointed with this and would not reccomend staying here
Other trip Mar 18, 2014
"Passed through"
Didn't hang around. This place was at first impressions a dump. Half run down and boarded up, Smashed windows. Nobody attending reception in the function area with no sign of life, not even a bell or a phone!! Finally found hotel reception but receptionist too busy to attend. Big wedding on at the time so anticipating a noisy night and not too impressed by the decor decided to cut my losses and head home.
1 night business trip Oct 12, 2013
SG
"good position to visit Liverpool Exellent"
no heat in room ,bed broken,window couldnt close,ALL were FIXED,Staff in resturant Better than Exellent at Breakfast mother/Daughter/combo,wow keep hold on them there GOOD,enjoyed my stay will come again ,
Other trip Oct 3, 2013
Mal & Liljan
"Great food, reasonable."
Stayed here whilst looking for daughters accommodation for her new job. Hotel a little run down but clean with immaculate bedding. As for the rest of the furniture in the room - well, needs to go out as 'street treasure'. It certainly lets the hotel down. I understand that it costs to renovate a large hotel but you do have to spend in order to attract more guests. The gardens are immaculate. Pity the weather didn't allow us to sit out in them. Service in the bar....was there service? No! Restaurant - fab service, friendly and well run, great food and inexpensive too. However, breakfast at £20 pp? I don't think so! the price of that doesn't equate with the price of main meals in the evening. Overall, we'd stay again possibly asking for another room.
1 night trip May 28, 2013
Elsa
"Cheap but not a cheerful hotel"
Area around the hotel seems quite run down, as a single young woman I didn't feel particularly comfortable being there alone. Grounds of the hotel were well kept but once inside was disappointing. Decoration of hotel was dated and in a poor condition. Hotel was ridiculously warm even for May! Room was very basic, TV didn't work and bed was very uncomfortable with no spare pillows etc. Reception were friendly and fairly helpful, however one member of staff was on the phone deciding on her tea in the middle of serving me.
Other trip May 10, 2013
"Good location, helpful staff, very nice garden."
The outside of the hotel is really beautiful with a nice garden, the parking arrangements were also good, it was easy to find parking and it was very close to the hotel entrance. The reception area and lounge also looked very nice but some parts of the hotel would need to be renovated. The lift looked old and some of the buttons needed fixing and the ceiling of the room also looked dated and had some stains. Aside from these issues, the hotel was very pleasant and the staff was kind and helpful. The price of the room was very reasonable and overall I had a very enjoyable stay.
1 night business trip Apr 12, 2013
"Easy access to town or motorway"
The hotel was a nice building but needed updating inside. The rooms were dated and plain, however the staff were friendly and the food was good.
1 night business trip Dec 13, 2012
Considering the reports we read after we had booked the hotel it was a pleasant surprise. It is very dated, refused our first offer of a bedroom as it was like a time warp and the fabric bedhead looked filthy. If we hadn't of been given a better room we would have 'walked'. The staff were very attentive. The first meal we had was poor, totally overcooked, we were not charged for it (very kind) The second meal we had was much better. It is clearly a hotel run on a 'budget' with the staff being overworked especially when you get in coach trips. All in all it served it's purpose, wouldn't actually recommend it to anyone, but for visiting Liverpool is was acceptable for a couple of nights. If you want basic, basic is what you get, if you want luxury then don't book this hotel.
2 night trip Jul 23, 2012
Chrissie

"Godt hotel, hvis man ikke skal være der meget."
Et glimrende hotel, der lå lidt udenfor centrum, men hotellets receptionister var flinke til at ringe efter en taxa. Vi var der kun et par dage og prioriterede slet ikke at kigge på hotellets faciliteter, men umiddelbart så der ud til at være pænt og nydeligt.
2 night trip with friends Feb 28, 2015
3 night family trip Jan 31, 2015
MEI LING
HK
"prøv noget andet"
Et meget slidt hotel som trænger til en kraftig renovering :-(
3 night romance trip Dec 27, 2014
DK
"Liverpool tur"
Helt Ok
3 night trip with friends Dec 26, 2014
Kim Roger
"Camas confortáveis e ótima localização!!"
O hotel é antigo mas com muito charme. As camas e roupas de cama e banhos são muito confortáveis. E fica a uma milha e meia do centro de Liverpool ( Adelphi Hotel ). Estacionamento amplo e gratuito. O staff é muito cordial e prestativo.
1 night trip Oct 16, 2014
Valter de Moraes
BR
"horrible"
il n'a pas WiFi, service n'est pas aimable
1 night trip Aug 16, 2013
FI

TripAdvisor reviews for Devonshire House Hotel

"Ignore the bad reviews"
04/19/15 angiegladwyn denbighshire
We have stayed here for the weekend, and was concerned at the amount of bad reviews, I have to agree that the place looks tired and needs a make over but to be fair the rooms were spotless clean, if anything too hot but easy to turn radiator down and open a window, better to be too warm than cold. The shower was ok but needs modernisation. However the staff were lovely, could not have been more helpful so ignore the comments about rude staff, we have experienced nothing negative at all.
"Terrible"
04/15/15 Starshipscreener
A hotel in a sorry state of repair, from carpet held together with gaffer tape to peeling paper, mould in the bathrooms and cracks in the walls. The hotel also needs a good clean as extremely grubby. Truly awful !!
"old style place but not the worst"
03/28/15 infacta Longford, Ireland
bed was comfortable,restaurant food was to me more like pub grub,breakfast was good all you can eat for £6.decor is old but i did notice a sign in the bar noting upcoming refurbishment.the bar is like an old grand house sitting room with the bar taking up 1 corner.4 leather couches,2 tvs and a pair of tables and chairs in the corner.room was comfortable and warm,restaurant is not open on sundays so you have to get your food but they will you with plates.within walking distance to anfield(45)mins but straight road to anfield..taxi cost £5.60...taxi to the airport cost £15.50.staff are pleasant.
"Very poor decor"
03/28/15 Gail K Lincoln, United Kingdom
The room was small ripped carpet, no full length mirror, bathroom door would not close Windows streaming with condensation lamp switch did not work In the bar area wallpaper peeling of curtains falling in bits the whole hotel has scratched paint work and Dated wallpaper worst hotel we have stayed in cost £100 for just the room for one night they would have to pay me to stay there again very very poor
"Weekend Trip"
03/27/15 marcel b Agios Nikolaos, Greece
I was looking for a quiet Hotel not to far from the Center and found the Devinshire House. Very friendly Staff. i liked the Location very much! Booked a Single Room and got nearly a Suite. Very big and on request, very quiet. So, to get a quiet Room, take one out to the back, then you sleep very good!
"Could be so much better with a few tweaks"
03/25/15 sah897 manchester, uk
Stayed overnight whilst visiting friends. Upon arrival thought we were only ones at hotel as car park empty but soon realised we had to follow signs to rear of property at back of petrol station where we found a very pleasant looking hotel in nice gardens. Went into reception and rung desk bell and was promptly met by receptionist who checked us in and explained where room was. Overall impression of hotel was nice. Room looked ok, bed had nice clean crisp linen and was very comfortable. Flat screen tv, tea and coffee making facility and open hanging space. Website stated iron and boards in every room but there wasn't one and literature in room stated you had to ask for them at reception then return after use. There was quite a draught from the window (double glazed) as if it was slightly open but it wasn't. Not too much of a problem as weather was mild but not sure how warm it would have been on a bad day. Lights didn't work in bathroom just the over mirror one lit up. Also there was no heat from radiator in bathroom and no obvious way of switching on. Only one bath towel for the two of us. Breakfast disappointing., no direction as you walked in you had to search out a member of staff to ask if you could sit anywhere and about the food. You were served with hot food bacon, sausage, scrambled egg, tomatoes etc but had to order fried eggs. Plates were cold so food (especially scrambled eggs) went cold quickly. Toast already out on a hot plate but not replenished regularly. Tea and coffee, you help yourself from 2 pump flasks on side. Fruit juice and cereal and yogurt and jams. No interaction with breakfast staff at all just left to your own devices. Overall ok for overnight stay but wouldn't go there for a weekend break. Heating and lighting should be checked prior to occupation and greet people when arrive in breakfast room.
"It's a place to stay"
03/24/15 gje99 worcestershire
I run a small business so I know the grinding lottery of Trip Advisor reviews: one person's joy is another's disaster. Even still I was a bit surprised by the spread of reviews for the Devonshire. I'd like to think even the management might struggle to describe it as 'excellent' since that's a tall order even for the best hotels. But neither is it awful, at the opposite end of the review spectrum. Put simply, if you want somewhere to stay near the city centre that's fairly friendly, fairly comfortable and fairly priced then the Devonshire does the job. If I stayed again I'd avoid a room facing the road (very noisy) and curtains rather than noisy flappy blinds would suit me better. The hotel is presentable enough but needs money spent on it: new bedding helps alleviate the atmosphere but the rooms are overall a bit down at heel. But it's friendlier and more homely than a Travelodge so you pays your money you makes your choices.
"don't take any heed this place is a little gem"
03/19/15 William B Crewe, United Kingdom
quick friendly check in, staff really friendly my room was spacious clean bathroom had a shower which i liked. free strong wifi breakfast was very nice, i was also allowed to leave my car at the hotel for no charge it was easier and cost effective to get a cab in to the city.
"I LOVED IT HERE"
03/17/15 Jason S Manchester, United Kingdom
I read the comments on here before i stayed, i was a bit scared but i have to say i wasn't paying 4 start prices. when i arrived the gardens lovely, i was met by john really nice guy gave me all of the local information, and was very pleasant great start i thought. i got to my room 109 the room was spotless massive bed soft pillows and chunky quilt flat screen tv looked like a 32 inc i had every thing you would expect to have in a hotel bed room don't no what people fuss about breakfast was lovely staff very friendly and would come back here and recommend people book but not picky people loved it here staff excellent
"Unimpressed"
03/07/15 GaryMoody Ipswich, United Kingdom
The room (201) was warm, clean and comfortable but the shower was broken and the shampoo was empty, petty I know but this wasn't spotted until I was in the shower, reception told me I could have called down to have the it mended but that wasn't the point (I would have had to wait and wanted to get on the road) Also, I have never idea how much the breakfast cost as it was "in" the price but the sausage was cheap and small and the service was just shocking - I had to go and find someone to serve me, intrrrupting what I assume was a very important conversation Won't be going back