All hotels in Victoria, British Columbia, Canada

• Wellness Area
    Great wellness & sports facilities
    Good internet service
    Room is all right
"Overall Clean and Comfortable"
We stayed at the Sandman for one night. The room itself was clean, but it had a really bad smell. It was a kitchenette, so it could have been from the previous guests' cooking, who knows, but it lingered and was noticeable for the whole night - you really didn't become "nose blind" to it. The security was somewhat worrisome. We were visiting in the sitting room when someone that we did not know, gained access to our room with a separate key. There must have been a mix up at the desk, but I can't imagine what could have happened to our things had we not been still in the room when this happened. Every time we heard a noise in the hall, my kids were freaking out thinking someone was trying to get in. The front desk was apologetic and gave us gift certificates for the restaurant to make up for it. The attached restaurant provided large meals, which were good, but the table we ate at in the "breakfast" area, was dirty and despite saying something to the waitress, we had to clean it ourselves. The biggest positive is that this was the first room in a weeks worth of separate rooms that didn't have hair (of all sorts) all over the bathroom. That in itself was a big thing for us.
1 night family trip Aug 3, 2015
"Nice hotel away from downtown."
The staff were very pleasant and very helpful. Room was comfortable. An excellent restaurant/pub in the hotel - some of the best food we ate while we were there.
Other trip Aug 9, 2015
Liz
"We will returned"
Clean quite excellent staff everything I have come to expect from a The Sandman we have stayed at this property before and have never been disappointed...will be back
2 night romance trip Jul 19, 2015
We enjoyed the stay
3 night family trip Jul 18, 2015
Arnie
"Wonderful Stay"
I am sometimes at a loss when I read negative reviews of this property. Unless you are tied to the idea of wanting to be in the inner harbour, this is an excellent choice. The hotel is well-appointed with an attractive lobby, there is one of Victoria's top sports pubs on site, the rooms are spacious and include all amenities (minus chocolate on the pillows) that are identified with far more expensive lodgings. My room was stylish, had a good flat screen TV with a myriad of channels, was clean and quiet and the WiFi service was free and fairly strong. The bathroom was big, clean and included complimentary soaps, shampoo and lotions along with an outstanding shower. Despite previous complaints I had read about the Sandman, there was complimentary in-room coffee (premium brand) and despite the hotel being full of teen agers on some kind of trip, it was very quiet at night. It is on north Douglas close to a big mall and I saw no evidence whatsoever that there was any "seediness" in the area. My ONLY complaint is that they charged me 55 cents for a local call. I thought that kind of charge had gone the way of the dodo bird. Well done Sandman! By the way, I am a Best Western Rewards member but they were full for my two dates, so this hotel checked all the boxes and cost less.
Other trip Jul 27, 2015
"Not a bad hotel, right downtown."
Just spent one night there on business. Hotel staff were great; needed to use computer for a map and lady there offered me to use their computer - very helpful!!! On the other hand, staff at the Shark Club were horrible. It was a Sunday and not busy but my friend & I had to keep going to the server to get served!!! She spent almost her whole time chatting with kitchen staff. SHE SUCKED. And we went there twice! This actually turned me off from probably staying there again. I would recommend to a friend if they didn't go to the club.
Other trip Jul 21, 2015
Lulu
"Clean, comfortable"
Nice family hotel. We had a kitchenette suite. Very convenient. Lots of room. Quiet. Free parking. Easy access to all the sights.
Other trip Jul 16, 2015
"Hotel in the city with a swimming pool"
We were moving and needed to stay somewhere close to the city, Sandman was recommended to us. It was very comfortable and nice. We booked the suite so there would be more room for us. There is also a swimming pool there for the kids.
1 night family trip Jun 30, 2015
Regina
"Clean hotel"
We go to Victoria every June for 2 nights. This year all the downtown hotels were booked. Sandman worked for us but we prefer to be close to the harbour. No parking fees and free wifi were good. Transit to downtown was available.
Other trip Jun 25, 2015
Nice, but in the evening a shark bar customer parked so close to my care, I had to climb over the passenger side of the car to get in.
2 night trip Jun 16, 2015
"OK for business"
It was OK for business, but not close to downtown. Certainly the price was great.
3 night business trip Jun 8, 2015
"Pleasantly Surprised"
We were pleasantly surprised by our stay in this hotel - we found it clean and quiet, in spite of the fact it is located on a busy street. Some dated stuff - can only say "Wow" at the pink doors and pink sink in the main floor women's restroom - but the place is being kept up pretty well in spite of its obvious age. We ended up not going to downtown Victoria at all, and didn't really miss it. Good service from the staff. Tried Shark Club food only at breakfast, and that was certainly ok. Thanks.
2 night family trip Jun 11, 2015
Faye
"Satisfactory for a quick overnight stay"
Arrived later than expected. Room was ready. Reception area was very crowded - two people working at the desk but not much privacy for check in. Asked if parking was secure and was directed to underground locked parking but not told where to find the key entry. Same thing in the morning. Checked out - went to go to the parking lot and found out that I needed a key to get to the garage - bit of a time waster. Bed was very comfortable, room was very cramped and small. Shampoo was nice, but no conditioner.
1 night business trip Jun 7, 2015
"Sandman Inn - below average"
Highlights: Seemingly distracted staff Inoperable access cards Unorganized reception desk Only average service at Sharks Club Noisy (street, restaurant and hotel rooms) No included breakfast Overpriced My wife and I made the mistake of booking through Expedia at a discount rate, but would have rather kept the money and slept in the car. We arrived on time to our hotel, but were late to our evening venue due to our access keys to the parking garage and hotel room not working. We later determined that the front desk programmed the access cards to the wrong room. (both unprofessional and a security concern) We were locked out of our room 3 times and the service staff insisted it was "us" that were the problem. If you like sports bars and parties and being discombobulated this might be a good choice for you, otherwise I would advise to avoid this one since there are many other hotels to choose from.
Other trip Jun 8, 2015
We arrived late but the desk person made us feel welcome. He upgraded my room, which was particularly useful in this case. There were two other family guests in different rooms so this gave us all a place to meet.
Other trip Jun 8, 2015
Johnny
"Sandman Victoria"
Checked in at 3:00 and my room was not ready, I feel this is a standard time and was advised that check in was at 4:00......... they did end up assigning me another room after a bit of a wait.. otherwise all was good
1 night business trip Jun 2, 2015
Ok hotel, clean , great hot tub! Location ok, price good!
Other trip Jun 5, 2015
"Clean and quiet."
Clean and quiet. Friendly staff and a nice pool! I'd stay again for sure.
Other trip Jun 5, 2015
L
"Nice hotel close to downtown"
Nice clean single room, came a day early and staff was excellent in ensuring that I could have same room for entire stay. Nice breakfast in the AM
Other trip Jun 4, 2015
Fred
"Business trip"
Nice hotel, room needs to be upgraded. Didn't look anything like the picture. It was clean though, just old. Service and everything else was good.
1 night business trip May 21, 2015
Jacqueline
Nice, clean hotel. Great location and couldn't beat the price. Would stay here again
Other trip May 26, 2015
Chelsea
"Recommend to fiends and relatives"
Wonderfully maintained room essentials to meet the needs of a guest
Other trip May 22, 2015
"Good if you are travelling"
During the night we were woken three times, at 11. 00 pm we received a phone call, no one answered, at 11. 30 pm we had someone trying to get in our room I banged hard on the door and told him the room was occupied, at 11. 50 pm we received a phone call, and was asked '' who am I speaking to " I replied well who are you he replied that he was the night time something or other and that this room was supposed to be empty and I was not supposed to be in there It was explained in the morning that someone at the front desk had made a mistake. I said at the start of the survey I would recommend to a friend, the reason why is I have stayed there before and I am sure and hope that this would be a one off situation
Other trip May 20, 2015
"Sandman Victoria"
toilet seat needs to be changed.
1 night business trip May 14, 2015
Ashif
"Great no issues."
Showed up early before 11 am they got me a room so was very happy with that. Sharks club downstairs good for dinner and a drink
Other trip May 18, 2015
chris
"Great Staff!"
Hotel staff was very accomodating and friendly. The room was what I expected. My husband was on a course for three days, and seemed pleased with how that went. I visited family during the day. The best part of the stay was how friendly the staff were. Were made a 'special' request for help twice and they were very helpful. The young woman who ran the breakfast area is a treasure, she is so sweet and so friendly . I began a conversation with her, and discovered an incredibly bright, woman with huge drive and initiative. You should do everything you can to keep her.
3 night business trip May 1, 2015
LINDA MAY
"Great hotel not too far from the harbour"
We arrived 3 hours earlier than the check-in and there was no problem having access to our room.
Other trip May 4, 2015
Lucie
"One night stay"
Hotel is somewhat dated in terms of room decor but very clean and pleasant. Staff responded to questions and needs professionally and effeciently.
1 night romance trip Apr 25, 2015
"Nice hotel close to shopping etc."
I spent one night there, had some food in the local bar/restaurant and watched some television, all was good
Other trip Apr 28, 2015
"Nice hotel . ,centrally located"
Bad experience,a dog was barking on our floor for hrs ,even after phoning the front desk.Nothing was done.No apology was offered or any sympathetic remarks from the front desk clerk.
Other trip Apr 27, 2015
jim
Nice Room - didn't like that the amenities (pool / gym & hot tub) closed so early. Also the hot tub was way too hot.
Other trip Apr 18, 2015
"Nice hotel, but not the best I've been to."
A larger hot tube would have been even more enjoyable. As well as the pool staying open longer then 10pm. I would have liked staying at a hotel closer to down town Victoria, or if there was an easier way to get to into town then walking 35 minutes. The staff where very nice, but a little more information about things to do in the area would have been much more helpful. Also to have a bus schedule available at the hotel would have been helpful as well.
Other trip Apr 18, 2015
Taylor
"Enjoyed the hot tub!"
We had a great two-day stay. This hotel is top-notch and well situated in Victoria. The pool and hot tub area are great, as is the workout room. We would recommend this hotel to anyone.
G-Ma
"Repeat customer"
I have stayed at this hotel several times. I come to visit family and don't want to be downtown. It is located conveniently to downtown though but still has ample free parking. The hotel is clean and reasonably priced. The staff is friendly.
1 night romance trip Mar 14, 2015
"Need a new car"
This is an older hotel actually more of a Motor Inn. It is located in a depressing area of Victoria which is unfortunate because Victoria is anything but depressing! It would be a great place to stay if you wanted to buy a car for it is surrounded by car lots!
4 night family trip Feb 13, 2015
Cameron
"Don't Expect Extras"
If you are a regular visitor to Sandman hotels, don't expect to use your Star Plus or get any Lucky 13 acknowledgements. If I had known that, I would have stayed at a classier place.
Other trip Feb 17, 2015
Big Al
"Nice Place to stay for a short period"
The Hotel is fine. It is not new but the room is clean and quite. The elevator smell strange, I guess because the humidity of the carpet. The hotel has a free parking which is good, specially the covered place. This hotel is 1.6km to downtown which I did in 18min walking, not bad at all.
Other trip Feb 10, 2015
Juan
"Clean and friendly"
Very Good value. The hotel staff were very friendly and accomodating. Location is close to downtown and near the Mayfair Mall. I would stay there again.
2 night romance trip Dec 11, 2014
george
"Reasonable"
Reasonably priced. Reasonable service. Reasonably clean.
1 night trip Dec 5, 2014
"Decent hotel at a decent price"
I recently stayed at the Sandman for a one-night business trip. The hotel staff were friendly, and it was great to have access to underground parking. The room was comfortable, but a wee bit shabby. All around a decent place to stay for a night when I didn't need to spend much time in the room. The wifi was easy to access and very good signal strength.
Other trip Dec 2, 2014
Lori
"Poor Hotel"
Sad, tired hotel. Needs a complete refurbish. Poor on every level.
Businessman
"Second stay just as good as the first time."
I have stayed at this hotel before, because of previous exceptional service I stayed there again. As stated the front end service was excellent and the rooms very clean and comfortable. Staying in this hotel for the second time if there was any signs of inconsistent service I would have seen it, I did not. The hotel is a quick drive from the downtown area of Victoria, or a 20 minute walk. The comfort and service were that of a 4 star hotel, the price is that of a 3 star hotel.
1 night business trip Nov 15, 2014
"Quick overnight business trip stay in Victoria"
I used to stay at another hotel but it is no longer suitable for a number of reasons so I chose to stay at sandman as it is close to where my business took me. I arrived late but had a good parking spot and staff were friendly at check in. I had a quiet room at the back of the hotel - in other words NOT on the busy Douglas Street at the front of the hotel. So I was well rested and comfortable. No complaints. I will more than likely stay there again. I go to Victoria on business trips quite a few times each year.
Other trip Oct 21, 2014
Liz
"The inside pool is the best in all of Victoria."
Needed to stay in hotel overnight, after seeing the pool, I had to drive all over just to find suits.
Other trip Oct 15, 2014
"Convenient for purpose of needing one night"
Really were just there for a place to sleep. Hot tub was nice and we were glad we were headed to the pool area before the kids of the hockey team came :)
Other trip Oct 13, 2014
"room and front doors"
there was a strange smell coming from the couch so we didn't use that area of the room. I told the clerk when we checked out but should have mentioned it before. I cant believe in this day and age 2014 that the front door have to be manually opened. pretty difficult to open the doors to get our bags in or out. I did see a few other people stuggling with the same issue
Other trip Sep 20, 2014
"Easy to get downtown-walking or driving."
Would stay again and would recommend. Front desk staff needs to be more knowledgeable about tourist attractions. Staff in the lounge were very helpful with tourist areas.
1 night trip with friends Aug 10, 2014
Mama B
"Satisfactory"
Only stayed two nights and were only there for sleeping. The room was comfortable but the bathroom could have been cleaner.
2 night trip Aug 30, 2014
DB
Perfect, would recommend it highly
1 night trip Aug 22, 2014
Colleen williams
"Not bad"
The hotel was full, which may be why the room service wasn't done by the time we got back from our first day's activities at 2 pm. Also, the smoke alarms was making a clicking noise, which might bother some. The shower was amazing, though, and we couldn't hear our next door neighbours. Overall, decent for the cost.
3 night romance trip Aug 15, 2014