All hotels in Hamburg, Germany

Room is all right
  • Value
    Poor value for money
"Onle one thing missing"
Except for the heater. The room was too cold for this time of the year
Response by Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall
Dear LUIS, thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay. Feedback is utmost important to us as it gives us the opportunity to improve. I am particularly proud to read that our team’s service level matched your expectations. I will of course pass the feedback over to my team. If there is anything else we can do for you during your stay – e.g. an additional heater - our staff would be more than happy to assist you. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again in Hamburg or at any other Sofitel Luxury Hotel. Sincerely, Gilles Felgen General Manager
2 night business trip Jan 11, 2016
LUIS
NIce welcome from the hotel reception and upgrade to a charming modern room with a view of the canal. Most hotel staff were very friendly and helpful. I appreciated getting the permission to have a 1 hour extension for my checkout however as they forgot to note that I was locked out of my room. Then I was locked out a second time as they didn't give me a full hour. Also the shower leaked in a massive fashion getting things I left on the floor 15 feet from the shower soaked. I think I just had some bad luck as it is a beautful and modern hotel and the staff is quite friendly. The shower issue should be addressed.
Response by Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall
Dear Anonymous, thank you very much for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had a positive experience at the hotel. In addition I am really sorry to read that there were some technical issues in your room during your stay. This is not our usual standard, and the team member has been informed for follow up. We hope that we will have the pleasure of welcoming you back to Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall in the near future and that your stay will be more enjoyable than your last. Yours sincerely, Gilles Felgen General Manager
Other trip Nov 7, 2015
Charlie
"Best placed Hotel in Hamburg"
If you want to stay in the very hart of the city. You will not find a better Hotel. You can even park your car even though you are located spot in the center. Nice and cosy wellness area and a bar right by the river. From the outside it looks boring, but inside is very nice.
Response by Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall
Dear Ulrik, thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay. Feedback is utmost important to us as it gives us the opportunity to improve. I am particularly proud to read that our team’s service level matched your expectations. I will of course pass the feedback over to my team. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again in Hamburg or at any other Sofitel Luxury Hotel. Sincerely, Gilles Felgen General Manager
2 night business trip Oct 1, 2015
Ulrik
"Another great stay at Sofitel"
My wife and I stayed here in early September and loved it. We are now loyal Sofitel guests and will stay at a Sofitel every chance we get! They gave us a free upgrade, and the room was amazing. Great service and great location close to city center. You can't go wrong with this chain.
Response by Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall
Dear Matthew, thank you so much for rating your last stay at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall. I highly appreciate it and I would personally like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experiences during your recent stay at our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel! Best regards, Gilles Felgen General Manager
1 night romance trip Sep 3, 2015
Matthew
Very nice contemporary hotel located in the city center. Staff was very friendly and helpful. The room was nice and comfortable. The hotel has an indoor pool and spa.
Response by Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall
Dear Karsten, thank you so much for rating your last stay at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall. I highly appreciate it and I would personally like to thank you for having taken the time to share your experiences during your recent stay at our hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel! Best regards, Gilles Felgen General Manager
Other trip Aug 21, 2015
kk
"Good stay!"
splendid this will be our hotel in the future
Response by Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall
Dear Bjorn, thank you very much for having taken the time to share the experience of your stay at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We look forward to welcome you back in the near future. Best regards, Gilles Felgen General Manager
1 night business trip Jul 26, 2015
Bjorn
"Great hotel; great location"
Only complaints: poor lighting in room; EUR30 for buffet breakfast!
Response by Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall
Dear GregL, Thank you very much for having commented your stay at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall. I will share your feedback with our team and I am sure it will serve as motivation to keep our high service standards. Kindly be informed that we offer different choices of breakfast, so please do not hesitate to contact our restaurant staff during your next stay. In addition I am pleased to read that our modern room with the soothing MyBed concept and exquisite bathroom make your stay an unforgettable experience. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall. Sincerely, Gilles Felgen General Manager
Other trip Jun 29, 2015
Greg
"hamburg at it's best"
Perfect location and great hotel.
Response by Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall
Dear Rogerio, thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay. Feedback is utmost important to us as it gives us the opportunity to improve. I am particularly proud to read that our team’s service level matched your expectations. I will of course pass the feedback over to my team. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again in Hamburg or at any other Sofitel Luxury Hotel. Sincerely, Gilles Felgen General Manager
1 night romance trip Jun 21, 2015
Rogerio
"Modern design but!"
The hotel location is excellent and the facilities are very good. Our first impression of our room was how modern it was but, as we started to use the room, we found its failings. Whoever designed the bathroom had an eye for the look but not for the practical aspects - a waste bin behind the towels?, a flat, black tile for the soap (it slides off!!), a wash basin that it is impossible to use without splashing the surrounding area, a shaving mirror with the light on one side (most men shave both sides!!), a wardrobe with a strange, large sliding door and' last but not least, an elevator that puts second floor room customers off with a flight of stairs to negotiate (don't customers bring luggage to the hotel?). Would I use the hotel again? Yes. Would I recommend it? Yes. Would I employ the person who designed the rooms and floor layout? No! Great access to both U and S Bahns as well as the bus plus excellent location for the city centre makes the hotel an excellent tourist location.
Response by Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall
Dear John of Reno, thank you very much for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall. We are pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had a positive experience at the hotel. I am sorry to read that your room was not satisfied to you. Kindly accept my sincere apologies. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall. Sincerely, Gilles Felgen General Manager
Other trip Jun 15, 2015
"Disorganized staff during breakfast"
Food quality is very average and overprized. No Nespresso machine in the room
Other trip May 31, 2015
KAREL
"Staff bright and helpful; rooms were dim."
Beautiful high tech hotel with very dim lighting in the room and bathroom. Staff was VERY pleasant and helpful.
2 night romance trip Jan 28, 2015
Jane
"Really nice hotel!"
We had a very good time at the Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall. It's in a great location and the staff is very professional. The room was comfortable and the service was impeccable. We would stay again. Next time, I'll remember my bathing suit!
Other trip Jan 20, 2015
knotty
Great hotel in the middle of everything. Could very much recommend this hotel then we have good experience of other top hotels in Hamburg center.
Other trip Dec 17, 2014
"Fantastic location by Neuer Wall and Rathaus."
€8taxi to Reeperbahn. Great staff. Excellent breakfast. If it were summer time it probably would have been even more centrally located than we realized
Other trip Dec 3, 2014
Alex
"Great Moder Style hotel with wonderful staff"
This is well centralized hotel near everything, shops next door, plaza, metro , bus, taxis, restaurants is a big plus, hotel all speak English. modern facility with great view and friendly staff, has free spa services except for massage, great restaurants and café, but a bit high cost, lucky great café around the corner and amazing buildings al over. free internet and top notch quality in everything.. amazing beds.
Other trip Sep 15, 2014
jonhhy
"Close to good restaurants and the city hall."
One of the best hotels I have stayed in....beautiful rooms with everything you could need. Staff was very cordial and helpful to us as US visitors. The breakfast buffet was expensive, but well worth the price. Even had champagne!!
Other trip Sep 3, 2014
JC
"Nice hotel in the city center"
The location of the hotel is right in the center of Hamburg. Facilities are excellent. The hotel has a spa and an indoor pool. The room was spacious with bathtub and shower. Everything was in a very modern style which I prefer.
Other trip Aug 25, 2014
kk
"Wonderful stay, like always."
Ive stayed at Sofitel Alter wall before, and I always have a great stay. Helpful staff, nice atmosphere, clean and tide rooms - and not to forget the spa, which is very relaxing. Location is good. Not far from city centre, and if you going farther, it takes two minutes to get a taxi!
3 night business trip Aug 10, 2014
MM
"This is a Great Hotel in Hamburg!"
We completely enjoyed our stay in this beautiful hotel. Our rooms were very spacious and clean. This hotel is in a wonderful location where you are able to walk to many shops and restaurants as well as other attractions. We felt very safe in this neighborhood and we highly recommend this hotel!
2 night trip Aug 10, 2014
Stephanie R.
"Great except for the unreliable internet"
Loved the hotel and location.My only complaint was the highly unreliable free and paid internet service...that was problematic.
2 night trip Jul 28, 2014
Very convenient and central hotel. Very good overall.
Other trip Jul 4, 2014
"Great hotel in a great location of the city!"
From the bell staff to the front desk staff to the, concierge, restaurant staff and managers, all were knowledgeable, cordial and seemed like they genuinely liked helping visitors and all of them seemed to enjoy their jobs. I've never seen a staff so universally helpful and pleasant. Food offered in the restaurants was good and again the staff was helpful.
Other trip Jun 25, 2014
Anita
"excellent location"
Stayed 5 nights and staff was very nice and helpful. Most everyone spoke english well! Spa was wonderful/ workout facility was good for those who enjoy treadmill/ cycle/ eliptical. They do have light dumbells, but don't expect to keep your routine. Wifi was slow but did it's job. Couldn't stream videos which I had expected to do for entertainment. Breakfast was wonderful. Easy travel from airport along S1 train which has stop right next to hotel. Close to other train stations too. Overall experience was great! I would definetly stay again.
5 night trip Jun 1, 2014
Jm
"Convenient location."
The power switches are very confusing. The coffee maker instruction is not clear. The wash sink plug did not work properly. Not quite to the standard of 5 stars, although it is a nice hotel.
Other trip May 19, 2014
"Close to Downtown / Shopping"
Great location. The hotel does ask for a print out of the booking confirmation when you check in. And if you don't have it, they are extremely rude about it. The room itself is lovely, the beds are so comfortable. The wireless internet barely worked in our room though - only in the bathroom for some reason. The other family members we stayed with did not have a problem though.
3 night family trip Apr 24, 2014
The room was very clean, well-decorated. The staff was friendly and helpful, and it was a great value. Highly-recommended.
1 night business trip Apr 6, 2014
Herman Bluestein
"Great location and very comfortable"
Super Hotel. Helpful staff and very comfortable beds.
Other trip Feb 15, 2014
ian
"Perfect Place in Hamburg"
The Sofitel Alter Wall is located in the city center, close to shopping, sights, and transportation. The hotel itself is a pleasure, with well appointed and spacious rooms and a large lobby that is never congested. The front desk service is excellent with the staff eager to assist in answering questions and providing information about restaurants, shopping, sight seeing, etc. A very positive experience at this hotel!
Other trip Jan 11, 2014
Phillip
"top hotel in hamburg"
perfect overnight stay. Top comfort hotel. The concierge was very helpfull. Would definitely stay here again ! The only complain - there could be a coffe maker etc in the room. J Pavlik Denmark
1 night trip Nov 22, 2013
Jaromir Pavlik
"It is very good in the city centre"
Everything is good
Other trip Nov 7, 2013
m
"Rooms"
Rooms are not the biggest but a nice hotel all the same. Could have better iron no steam means u spend quite some time ironing. Its has wifi a decent spa and swimming pool centrally located.
2 night business trip Oct 21, 2013
Ak
"Beautiful hotel with comfortable bed"
Although we only stayed one night at your hotel, we would stay there again and recommend it to friends. The concierge was very helpful with recommending a restaurant for dinner and directing us to places we wanted to go.
1 night romance trip Sep 19, 2013
Anonymous
"Location, location, location"
Perfect location to visit the city on foot or other means of transportation. Very capable and friendly concierge that loaned us umbrellas when it was pouring. The room felt a little small but cleverly arranged. The view on the canal was perfect.
Response by Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall
Dear CD, we very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback. I will share your comments with our team. I am sure that this feedback will serve as an encouragement to all of our staff as we strive to continuously improve the quality of our services. In addition it is nice to read that you enjoyed your stay with us and that you had a positive experience at the hotel. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again in Hamburg or at any other Sofitel Luxury Hotel. Sincerely, Gilles Felgen General Manager
3 night romance trip Aug 19, 2013
CD
"Terrific business hotel in heart of city."
The front desk staff bent over backwards to give me the best room possible. They upgraded me--twice. The room was modern, beautiful, comfortable, large and luxurious. And the price was right. I couldn't have asked for a nicer stay.
Other trip Sep 2, 2013
we loved the hotel very close to public transportation very close to all the sights. staff was very helpful.rooms were very nice had all the amenities we needed. can't wait to go backi.
Response by Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall
Dear patty, thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay. Feedback is utmost important to us as it gives us the opportunity to improve. I am particularly proud to read that our team’s service level matched your expectations. I will of course pass the feedback over to my team. Moreover I am pleased to read that our modern room with the soothing MyBed concept and exquisite bathroom make your stay an unforgettable experience. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again in Hamburg or at any other Sofitel Luxury Hotel. Sincerely, Gilles Felgen General Manager
11 night family trip Jul 24, 2013
patty
Perfect location for those who are going to explore everything in Hamburg! You don't need public transportation (except for the airport) because everything is a stone's throw away. All points of interest are within a 10 minute short walk radius.
Other trip Aug 17, 2013
"great place"
wonderful english speaking staff. very nice place!
Response by Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall
Dear MVKOD, thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay. Feedback is utmost important to us as it gives us the opportunity to improve. I am particularly proud to read that our team’s service level matched your expectations. I will of course pass the feedback over to my team. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again in Hamburg or at any other Sofitel Luxury Hotel. Sincerely, Gilles Felgen General Manager
1 night trip Aug 9, 2013
MVKOD
"Very satisfied"
Overall excellent. It is an excellent hotel, and was reasonably priced.
Other trip Jul 26, 2013
"Tennis at Hamburg"
Its a very nice hotel that is well located. The restaurant is a bite expensive. Rooms are ok, but don't have double beds available.
Other trip Jul 22, 2013
philip
"Comfortable and convenient, as always"
Sofitel is dependable for comfort in the room, great service, and great food. We will stay there next time, as well.
1 night family trip Jun 19, 2013
"Meticulous and friendly staff, plus great location"
An excellent hotel with an incredible staff from the valet to the room cleaners. Reception exceptionaly professional. The location is great with easy access to the beautiful City Hall, shopping, and Class A restaurants.
1 night trip Jun 15, 2013
"A perfect hotel !"
Excellent location and very good service both at reception and in restaurant and breakfast room. You do not need anything you could not get at Sofitel !
Other trip May 31, 2013
Alpo
"Perfect"
Perfect
4 night business trip Mar 31, 2013
"Excellent for families and business people"
The property is an absolute gem. Large comfortable room with great bathroom and walk-in shower. Friendly and helpful staff. Light and airy lobby and tasteful interior design. Centrally-located in downtown Hamburg and a well-organized, luxurious spa that is perfect for ending a long-days work or touring. Breakfast, albeit on the expensive side, offers a rich buffet of cold and hot items and was delicious.
Other trip Mar 19, 2013
TroubleShooter

"Good hotel, good location"
The hotel is in the centre of Hamburg and if shopping is your thing then your local shops are Chanel, Armani, Tiffany etc. The hotel itself is modern but clinical in its apprerance however the rooms are very comfortable and I would recommend a one overlooking the canal. S-Bahn or U-Bahn stations are only several hundred meters away for easy access. For those who may like a cup of tea or coffee in their rooms unfortunately there are no tea of coffess making facilites. That being said I would stay here again.
1 night trip Dec 13, 2015
"NO TWIN Rooms!"
NO TWIN ROOMS! Hotels.com market this hotel as having twin room but they do not have any in the hotel. The staff were helpful, Breakfast (€30 each!) also very nice indeed. Location close to the centre, S_bhan and metro close by. Pleasant stay, only marred by the fact we had booked twin and had to make do with a double.
1 night trip with friends Dec 21, 2015
"Nice hotel with excellent staff and great location"
Nice hotel with excellent staff and great location. I wouldn't order scrambled eggs for breakfast though - a rather stodgy omelette appears instead.
Response by Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall
Dear James, Thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay. Feedback is utmost important to us as it gives us the opportunity to improve. I am particularly proud to read that our team’s service level matched your expectations. I will of course pass the feedback over to my team. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again in Hamburg or at any other Sofitel Luxury Hotel. Sincerely, Gilles Felgen General Manager
1 night trip Dec 12, 2015
"Not the best Sofitel"
Excellent front of house staff - but the hotel seemed to lack the quality you expect from a 5 star. For example my bathroom flooded if you took a shower - I had to raise it twice before it was finally fixed. I had to complain to get the turn down service to actually attend after there wasn't one for two days. There might be a wide range of TV stations but the 4-5 English ones where news channels and one with old movies on. The rooms are very dark - for a huge space there is an only really two celling lights. The "Free bottled water" unlike other hotels in the group is only for the first night of your stay. They now use Lavin products, which are not a nice as the Hermes they used to use. They have the two small duvets covers rather than one big one - common in the area - if stupid. The room service – when they answer – was very basic for the price – with no quality to speak of. The Stream room was out of service for the whole duration I was there. They may all be small points but given the basic task of providing a good hotel they all lead to a disappointment. The front of house staff and the locations made it an enjoyable stay though.
Response by Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall
Dear Ian, thank you for taking the time to tell us about your experience at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall. I am sorry that your experience did not meet your expectations; please allow me to express my sincere apologies. At Sofitel, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every customer; therefore your feedback is very important to us. Please rest assured that we are taking the appropriate measures to address the problem and prevent future occurrence. We appreciate your sharing your concerns, and it is our hope that you will give us the opportunity to better serve you in the near future. Sincerely, Gilles Felgen General Manager
Other trip Oct 28, 2015
Ian
"Excellent 3 night stay"
This is a lovely hotel located just round the corner from the S-Bahn, It's an easy 20/25 minute journey from the airport without having to change lines. We stayed on a 'room only' basis as breakfast costs 30 euros each which we thought was expensive. It's in a quiet location, but easy to get everywhere, even on foot if you like walking. We had the most comfortable bed I have ever experienced anywhere. So gorgeous that we shall be buying the same mattress topper. Large bathroom with walk in shower and bath.
Response by Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall
Dear Dee, thank you very much for having taken the time to share the experience of your stay at Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall. I was pleased to read that you enjoyed your stay at our hotel. We look forward to welcome you back in the near future. Best regards, Gilles Felgen General Manager
Other trip Sep 2, 2015
Dee
"Sofitel stay"
Quality Hotel in a very good location best part of the city, surrounded by great restaurants shops and the railway station. Staff were polite, helpful and easy going. We had a deluxe room which was well sound proofed and air conditioned. We had a canal side view on the 6th floor. Tastefully decorated we spent 4 nights as it was our chosen destination after deciding on our marriage celebration after a 16 year relationship. Hamburg is a great relaxed well organised city. Made us want to explore all of Germany.
Response by Sofitel Hamburg Alter Wall
Dear Den, thank you very much that you took the time to comment your stay. Feedback is utmost important to us as it gives us the opportunity to improve. I am particularly proud to read that our team’s service level matched your expectations. I will of course pass the feedback over to my team. Thank you again for sharing your experience, and we hope to welcoming you very soon again in Hamburg or at any other Sofitel Luxury Hotel. Sincerely, Gilles Felgen General Manager
Other trip Aug 23, 2015