All hotels in Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, Mexico
Ave Xaman-ha, Manzana 3, Lote 19, Playa del Carmen, QROO, 77710, Mexico, ‏‎800-491-6126

"good"
good place for rest
5 night family trip Jul 20, 2015
"Happy Customer"
We really enjoyed our stay. The staff was extremely friendly and the food was good.
5 night trip with friends Jun 21, 2015
"Nice but read the small letter!!!"
We have a nice family week, finding very nice people at the hotel, only 2 issues...the hotel is not ocean front, you must walk or wait for a golf cart to get into the beach and the food at restaurants a la carte, are very limited, just 3 different restaurants with actually same plates you can find at the buffet.
6 night family trip Jun 19, 2015
Hernan
"Outstanding Service!"
As usual, Riu Hotels surprised us with great service and attention to detail. We were a bit concern to the distance from Hotel to the Beach, but it was misleading. It is very close and easy to walk to and from within minutes. Food was probably the best I had in an all inclusive hotel in the Riviera. I told reception it was my wife's birthday. They made a VERY IMPRESSIVE room decoration for her AND a special meal service! Cuddos for the staff!
3 night family trip Jun 18, 2015
Rui
"Room was too far from swimming pool and restaurant"
I'm disappointed With the chefs Mario or Mauricio. I can't recall his name from the Steak house restaurant, I'm allergic to seafood,I explain to him, he was rude,he needs to be polite.I complain With the manager But he don't do anything
Other trip May 29, 2015
"You can't ask for more"
This is my fourth time staying at this hotel. I've stayed at all types of hotels and all inclusive resorts all over the world. When it gets to Riu Tequila in Playa del Carmen and you put price and quality face to face, the hotel is unbeatable. Make your reservation without fear. You won't regret it.
9 night romance trip May 17, 2015
Adrian
"Great All Inclusive"
We stayed for one week in May 2015. The hotel is very nice. The natives are beyond nice and the service was great. This hotel has a lot more shade around the grounds than the Palace Mexico and Yucatan. After visiting all three I liked the grounds at the Tequila best. There were lots of coati around (essentially racoons). As long as you don't leave drinks or food lying around while you go in the pool they were never an issue. I would consider them a plus to staying here.
Other trip May 27, 2015
"Wonderful resort!!"
The resort was beautiful and clean. Food was wonderful and always a lot of choices on the buffets. This resort was about a 30-45 minute ride from the airport. We took private transportation and not group transportation. The beach is across the street from the resort and with a sister resort for access. We always went to the beach in the morning because there was less seaweed coming in and not many people down there. There is a golf cart that will take you from the resort to the beach instead of waking. It's about a 10 minute walk. We had children with us and it didn't seem like they had any activities for children. If there were activities, we were not aware of them and they didn't provide us information when we checked in. My daughter celebrated her 10th birthday while we were there, and I did tell the front desk and dinner reservations for the buffet dinning. The room was decorated with a towel cake and they left a note wishing her a happy birthday while we were out for the day. They also left a little trinket for her too. When we went for dinner, they had balloons on all of our chairs and rose pedals on our table. They brought a birthday cake and sang happy birthday to her. She enjoyed all of the special treatment!!! I would stay here again since the overall experience was wonderful. Friendly staff, clean, comfortable rooms, and nice grounds.
Other trip May 20, 2015
Ann
"Excellent Value All-Inclusive"
This was my first time booking a complete vacation through Expedia and the experience was wonderful. We took a nonstop to Cancun on Delta and it was definitely worth the extra money. Best Day Travel transportation services (offered by Expedia) was excellent. We easily found them at the airport, the bus was air-conditioned wonderfully and there were only seven passengers on the bus so we didn't have to stop at many other resorts before we got to ours. I have been to other RIUs in Playacar and although Tequila is not as expensive as some of the others, the service, qaulity of food and accommodations are just as top notch. We emailed a room request to RIU month before our stay and they fulfilled all our requests. The rooms have air conditioning as well as a fan and nice high ceilings. The balconies were great for drying beach clothes over night. The selection of food is extensive and top quality, I recommend trying the steak house for dinner one night as well. The walk to the beach is about 6 minutes and great exercise after all the eating. We enjoyed the beach chairs and loved that we could use the RIU Yucatan pool facilities as well. The restaurant on the beach is great for lunch and offers the same wide selection of food choices. We visited the RIU Yucatan gym as well, which was adequately equipped. Overall, I'd recommend RIU Tequila in a heartbeat. It's a great value as you get to use other RIU resort facilities and get the same RIU quality for a fraction of the price. Enjoy
Other trip May 19, 2015
"Wouldn't go back to this resort."
Very run down and nothing to do besides drink and eat. Came back home and was very sick. Food could be somewhat better and all restaurants are buffet.
Other trip May 19, 2015
Love the natural look of the resort. A lot of green space, not all concrete. Beautiful paths and scenery.
Other trip May 9, 2015
"We love the RIU!!"
WE love the RIU resorts. It is a favorite of our in Playa del Carmen. No complaints!
Other trip May 4, 2015
"Lovely peaceful hotel"
Great hotel. Close to the beach. You will never feel short changed with alcohol and food. They are practically throwing it at you. If you love animals they have lovely coati's around who are adorable. Will and would go back again in a heartbeat.
Other trip Apr 19, 2015
"Overall a great place for everyone."
We just returned and had a wonderful week vacation. When we arrived we were not sure we were going to like the hotel. I am happy to say we really enjoyed the stay! Originally we were given a room in the rear of the complex, the farthest from the amenities. With kids we found this difficult and on the second day asked to be moved. The front desk staff was very receptive, made the move easy, and gave us a wonderful room on the second floor of building 2 (200's). If you have a family of four, ask for a roll away bed or see what the price is for two rooms. The beds are a little small. We love the Mexican open air feel to the hotel. We did not want a modern looking hotel (we can get that anywhere). The staff is terrific. The kids (and parents too) enjoyed all of the activities(water polo, air rifle shooting, basketball...).The walk to the beach is not far but we often found ourselves taking the golf cart shuttle since it was there every 5 minutes. The pools are nice. Love the towel service. It is so nice to always have a dry towel. The beach is great and we would dip in the Riu Yucatan pool after the beach. The food is good, but pace yourself the first few days, you will taste it all eventually. Many of the parks are a quick taxi ride away so consider that when debating on a tour package versus going on your own. We are already planning on returning next year.
Other trip Apr 17, 2015
Icewife
"Small compact friendly resort!!"
The resort itself is fairly small and compact. It has only 3 major restaurants which is fairly common. The two main pools are great. The entertainment staff is very great and friendly. The food is very good with a huge variety. Cons: you have to wake up early to make restaurant reservations, beach requires a walk.
Other trip Apr 15, 2015
Dasha
"Don't Book this hotel"
Booked this hotel back in August I believe of last year.Arrived April 3rd and was given the choice of staying at their sister hotel across the street or go find a place to stay.Accordind to the hotel hostess in my booking contract they are allowed to do this if they overbooked the hotel.Amazing that I was offered this choice standing there with my 14 year old daughter on spring break.We did make the best of our time and didn't allow Riu to ruin our holiday but I will never stay at another Riu property again due to the lack of obvious customer service.
Other trip Apr 12, 2015
jim
"Riviera Maya Rules"
Another great time in Riviera Maya. The grounds of the RIU Tequila hotel was well kept by the staff, the bar tenders and restaurant workers also worked very hard. The pool at the hotel was also beautiful. There was a sand volleyball court, and a basketball court at the hotel. Even though it was a very busy time of the year, you never had to wait much for anything. The food was good, always able to find something that we liked. The main complaint at this hotel was that you rarely would see the shuttle that took you between the hotel and the beach. When you did, there was only room for about seven people, so we were never able to catch a ride. Even so, we did fine with the walk especially since we tended to eat and drink a little more than we should have.
Other trip Apr 3, 2015
"Fun family holiday"
The RIU Tequila looks exactly as depicted in the photos. The staff is friendly and upbeat and always had a friendly greeting. We had a couple of problems with the room and received prompt attention The rooms are very clean, and furnished in traditional Mexican style. It could probably use an update, but that's also why it is cheaper than some of the other RIU resorts. The food was plentiful and well presented, albeit a bit bland. The menu definitely caters to a European crowd in terms of the items on the menu. We were hoping for more Mexican food, but found plenty to eat. My kids were happy to just have so many options---they expecially liked the omelette and pasta bars If I were to do it again, I would book the RIU Tequila again, but that is because I did extensive research and knew what I was getting into---I knew the beach was beautiful, but 10 minutes away. I knew the decor was traditional Spanish and not posh contemporary. And I knew that the resort caters to families and that kids are everywhere. All of that made it perfect for our holiday.
5 night family trip Mar 27, 2015
"Bang for our buck"
We recently stayed at the Riu Tequila in Playa del Carmen. The resort was a 45 minute drive from the Cancun Airport. We used a private transport company to get to and from the airport. Definitely worth the money! We arrived at the resort very late and when we checked in the staff provided us with sandwiches since we missed dinner. There is 1 bar open 24 hours so we were still able to get a drink after dropping our things at the room. There is free wifi in the lobby only for a max of 90 minutes a day. You can have it in your room for an extra fee. There is a main dining room that has a buffet for every meal. But there are also restaurants that you can make reservations at for dinner. Highly recommended! Make your reservations as early as possible each morning for the best times! Pool is located in the center of the resort! One side has a swim up bar. Lounge chairs go fast! Put your towels on your chairs to save your spot. While this resort is NOT considered beach front, it is pretty close! From the main entrance of the resort to the beach was about a 5 minute walk or 10 minutes on vacation pace on a private walkway. But the hotel did have a shuttle to take you every 15 minutes if you didn't want to walk. While we saved money by not being beach front, this resort provided all the amenities of being beach front property. Highly recommended!
Other trip Apr 3, 2015
Brandon
"O.K. for a Few Days"
We booked late, so we were running out of options and settled on Tequila. I wasn't expecting luxury, and that was good, because it wasn't luxurious. It was fine for a 4 night getaway for the northeast U.S. to warm up. Had I paid attention to the fact that there is no room service, I would not have booked it. We've never stayed at an A.I. without room service, so I never thought about it. We also didn't realize that the "specialty" restaurants are not a la carte...just another buffet limited to one cuisine. The main buffet had more options. The Asian was not good. For the Mexican, we made the mistake of going to the Playacar by mistake. Apparently we were supposed to be at the Yucatan. Playacar would not accommodate us, and we weren't about to rush over to the Yucatan in time. So we skipped it. The main buffet was pretty good for buffet style food. Just know you won't be ordering a la carte from a menu anywhere. Small, dated room. One bath towel each...really? Sheets didn't fit the king bed. Tacky. The ocean was terrible this time. We usually love this stretch of beach, but it was full of seaweed this time (03/10-03/14). Not the fault of the hotel. Just Mother Nature. We have been here at times in late Fall and in Spring and the beach was wonderful. Room had a shower only that felt like a cave...not even a light in it. And it had a (eew) shower curtain. One pool towel per day...really? Con't plan on turning in your towel for a fresh one the same day
Other trip Mar 18, 2015
Xpu Ha Happy
"Previous reviews are accurate!"
Hotel is somewhat dated and the rooms are adequate. 2 Double Beds for 4 people is not very comfortable. There were only 2 outlets in the entire room which I thought was odd. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. They work very hard in the restaurants, the bar area and the entertainment staff around the pool. The grounds are in immaculate shape and the pool area is very clean.
Other trip Mar 18, 2015
B Strib
"Wonderful, clean resort!"
We stayed at Riu Teq. Mar. 2 - 9, 2015. We loved the resort, the rooms were private and spacious and very clean which is important to us. It's really spread out which means lots of walking but they have beautiful walkways. We initially thought that since the resort wasn't directly on the beach that we wouldn't like it but they have a golf cart shuttle that runs constantly throughout the day that takes you back and forth. The pool was large, the bars were all open all day long, all the staff were very friendly and made our stay more enjoyable. It's probably the best food we've had at an all inclusive and we've been traveling to the Caribbean since 1999. We typically only stay at a resort 1 time as there are so many to experience but we would definitely go back again. The only negative for us was that they offer no room service so we missed our morning coffee on our balcony; if they would add that or at least provide a coffee maker in the rooms, it would make it perfect!
Other trip Mar 16, 2015
DJ
"Good experience"
We were greeted with a nice drink and checked in. The resort is pretty big which was a change from others I had been to. The resort is in a secluded area that you have to go past guards in a community, so it felt very safe. Rooms are a little dated, but in all honesty, anyone that cares is spending too much time in the room. They had the fridge stocked and plenty of bottles of water too. My biggest complaint about the room was the pillows. You receive two of the smallest pillows possible that don't support your head. We enjoyed the steakhouse and the Mexican restaurant. The Asian wasn't our favorite. Note that the steakhouse is the only A la carte. The Asian is full buffet and the Mexican is buffet for the appetizers. Their buffet hall is actually really good. We enjoyed the breakfast and dinner there. My favorite was the pool side grill out everyday during lunch. They grilled everything from burgers to chicken to pork. The chips and guacomole were phenomenal. As for the drinks, they were always coming, which was nice. My biggest complaint was the pool bar didn't open until 1030. My wife likes to lay out, but after 10 minutes I get bored and am ready for a drink. So be prepared that the bar isn't open right away. The sports bar is open 24 hours and is a lot of fun, especially if there is a futbol game on. The beach is a 7 minute walk from the resort. Its a very pleasant walk, so anyone who complains about it is being ridiculous. The beach was amazing.
5 night romance trip Mar 3, 2015
Alyssa
We originally booked at Riu Tequila and once we got there they informed us we were staying at the Riu across the street. It wasnt as nice and updated, but it was on the ocean. We had a great time regardless, but felt like we were taken advantage of since we had no control over the situation. We had researched and spent months believing we were staying at Tequila and suddenly we were thrown in a cab being sent to a different resort.
Other trip Mar 4, 2015
Nice hotel located in a lush green setting not directly on the beach but shuttle transportation if you choose not to walk the 10 minutes. The walk itself is a beautiful trip through a park Ike setting.
Other trip Feb 13, 2015
margret
Other trip Feb 13, 2015
margret
"Wonderful Stay but"
The only issue we had was it seemed they lost our reservation. After serval minutes of trying to find us in the computer, they said we were selected for an "upgrade@ to the Riu Yucatan, which is on the beach side. We went ahead and took the "upgrade@ to the Yucatan but our room was small and the decor was loud and what I'd consider a cheesy attempt to be modern. We went back the next day and asked for a room at the Riu Tequila which was more to our taste. The rest of our stay was enjoyable but we were inconvenienced by all the shuffling around.
Other trip Feb 12, 2015
We've stayed there 3 times and love it there! Food, service, atmosphere, everything! ! Can't wait to go back!
Other trip Feb 11, 2015
"Great All-inclusive Hotel"
Two years ago we liked our stay in Riu Tequila so much that we went back this year for 10 days. The staff is extremely friendly and helpful. The hotel and the grounds are well maintained.
Other trip Jan 20, 2015
M
"Good value for the money"
Had a pleasant stay at Riu Tequilla. Hotel was clean, a bit outdated. The food was adequate. Short walk to the beach, which was pleasant-- for more lazy or disabled they had trolley running to and from the beach. The beach was nice with plenty of lounges and shaded area, the restaurant that served lunch was on the beach--no need to walk back to hotel. Shows were OK. The only issue we had the hotel was not able to provide the x-tra bed for our son,so request it early--preferrably before coming if you have a need for it.
8 night family trip Dec 31, 2014
Irina
"THEY OVER BOOKED AND DIDN'T LET US STAY THERE"
I booked 6 months ago a trip with 4 people for the week of Sat 1/3 - 1/10. 2 seperate reservations for 2 couple. After traveling for 14 hours we get to the resort and they try to offer us an "upgrade" to the resort across the road to the Riu Yucatan. I stayed at the tequila before, it has a sports bar with american football on that is open 24/7, also the swim up bar is better at tequila. I turned down the upgrade and said we would like to stay at yucatan. Then the clerk told us that there was only one room left and one of us would HAVE TO go to the yucatan. They said its closer to the beach and tried to sell the yucatan to me. I was very unhappy, we went back and forth with them for over and hour asking to speak to a manager. They repeatedly said its not Tequila's fault, i have an issue with sales. The manager isn't available and I would have to go to yucatan until monday, then come back and talk to the manager Natalia and sales. I was tired hungry and wanted to watch football so after causing a scene I decided to go to yucatan. If you stay at a riu in the riviera you can eat and drink at them all. My friends who did not have a room available at the tequila wanted to grab a drink and eat quickly before getting a taxi and going to the yucatan, the front desk wouldn't let them go to the buffet or the bar. We went to the yucatan waited in line for another hour to check in, then we tried going to the 5 pm buffet and they didn't open the doors until 526.
Other trip Jan 12, 2015
"We loved the Riu Yukatan!"
Upon check in we were moved to the Yukatan Hotel across the street on the beach side. We loved this hotel! The pool and the beach were fabulous and the staff was excellent. We really enjoyed the Sports & Entertainment Team, lots of fun during the day and into the night.
Other trip Jan 11, 2015
"you need to walk to the beach is not in front"
you feel close to nature see animals and people are nice, they have fun
Other trip Jan 10, 2015
nora
"Decent hotel, but not what we expected"
The hotel was nice, checked most of the boxes of amenities we were expecting except the hotel was not on the beach, as we had thought it was. However, you do have access to the Riu Yucatan, which is beach front and only a 7 minute walk across the street. The pool and beach are 100% livelier and nicer than the Riu Tequila. The Tequila pools are very quiet and the chairs are not very comfortable. Overall, the Tequila seems more outdated than the Yucatan, however for the price and convenience of having access to the Yucatan it was worth the price. The food was fair, not terribly outstanding, but every day and meal we were able to find food that was good. Close access to the downtown Playa del Carmen nightlife. The strip where the hotel is located is on a gated strip along the beach where there are a handful of other resorts, making the area feel very safe and friendly. The hotel staff is very nice and accommodating. The Yucatan had good entertainment throughout the day which made everyday enjoyable and different. The rooms were OK, outdated and not very warm and welcoming. Wifi was terrible. Overall, a terrific vacation, with some inconveniences along the way. If i were to go back, I'd book the Yucatan though.
Other trip Jan 5, 2015
Erin
"Well run hotel."
Overall a well run hotel. Staff was very friendly and accomodating, first time using an all-inclusive and overall it was a positive experience. Rooms were cleaned daily, min-bar stocked every other day. Food was pretty good, all buffet but good quality. A bit of a walk to the beach but they had a nice beach club. We liked the pool and the beach at the sister hotel Riu Playcar the best, a little smaller than the beach club and the pool was close. Staying in Playcar was a little bit of a walk into town, but cabs are fairly inexpensive. Overall a positive experience.
Other trip Jan 5, 2015
"Good hotel"
It's a really big hotel. It has all you want, it's clean, it has a big beach, and the food was pretty good.
Other trip Jan 4, 2015
Silvia
"Too Much Tequila"
Overall the hotel is ok and a good value. We had mold problems with one of our rooms and the hotel was not responsive to our complaints. Finally after five days they switched us to a new room. Shortly afterwards our room key broke in the lock and we could not get into our room. We were informed that we would have to wait until morning. They gave us a new room but all of our toiletries, medicine and clothes were in the locked room and they would do nothing about getting a repairman into fix the lock or at least give us some toiletries. It really spoiled the end to a nice vacation. I was very disappointed in the staff, particularly the front desk staff and the management.
Other trip Dec 31, 2014
"Nice hotel nice beach"
Riu Hotels had 60% Europeans, 30% Canadians 10% US tourists. Traveled with wife and 2 kids (15 and 11). Hotel is not on beach so no rooms have beach views. 10 walk to beach or 5 min golf cart ride. Beach is beautiful white sand. Winter time is unpredictable with some windy days making strong waves but swimable. Sometime it's very calm. Special Christmas buffet was excellent. Overall buffet was good. Nice pool but no water slides. Couldn't make friends since most spoke foreign language. Night shows were ok if you like broadway singing. Alcohol drinks were good. Beds were comfortable plus free roll out 3rd bed if requested.
Other trip Dec 28, 2014
ken
"Charming, Laid Back"
This resort is a bit long in the tooth, needs some updating but is well maintained. Everyone that we came in contact with did what they were supposed to do, which is to try to make the guest happy and accommodate them when possible. Enough said, no complaints.
Other trip Dec 26, 2014
Sunshine
Very good but not excellent or superior. Food average, staff friendly. Good value. Nice to be close to playa del carmen beach town. Maybe go more expensive next time for better food and fewer "partyers".
Other trip Dec 20, 2014
"All inclusive across from the beach"
We've stayed here four times, we like the food, we like the resort. Beach is across the street at the Yucatan, you can eat at the Yucatan so you can spend all day there if you prefer. 5 minute walk or you can use the golf cart transport. 30 minute walk into Playa del Carmen, it's not the closest or the farthest resort in Playacar.
Other trip Dec 19, 2014
Repeat guests to this hotel. The grounds are beautiful. The service is good. The staff is friendly and very helpful.
Other trip Dec 11, 2014
"Just perfect.."
That's very good experience we are thinking in the next visit to RIU TEQUILA YEA YEA UUUH...UUUH...
Other trip Dec 9, 2014
Agustin
Super clean, great food, friendly staff...we will be back next year!
Other trip Dec 8, 2014
Zac
"Needs renovation"
Old, good food, shuttle service to the beach, no beach towels in the afternoon, have to reserve a "kanapa" early in the morning. Small beach shared by two hotels. Comfy room, freezer and TV remote not working, Bathroom has soap only Tequila served only in a bar or via the room dispenser.
Other trip Nov 29, 2014
Leo, 57 yod
"We want to do it again!"
We enjoyed a day at the Mayan ruins in Tulum. Another day we went on a quad ride to the jungle and underground water caves, Carlos from the Riu Tequila was an excellent tour guide. Walks on the beach were amazing as were the sunsets. The food choices were delicious and all the staff was courteous and delightful to be around.
Tracy
"Beautiful hotel surrounded by gardens!!"
We loved the staff--they were very friendly and eager to help. The hotel and grounds were very well kept up--and we totally enjoyed the 5 min walk to the beach---the beach was absolutely beautiful--and we loved that it was just a 40 minute walk up the beach to go shopping on 5th ave and the town plaza where they had things going on every evening.
Rox
"Best deal ever!!!"
Excellent choice, food was great, drinks didn't stop coming at the bars, beach was crystal clean, only white sand and the ocean, no algues, no rocks , it feels like gigant pool. We went the 1rst week of November and the weather was wonderful. Just love the Riu experience. One tip though: ask for a room with no babies next door if you don't want to wake up too early.
rocio
"A lot of bang for your buck!"
More than we expected or needed. The food was great! So much to choose from and it did seem to vary a bit from day to day, dinners especially. Staff was friendly and most helpful. The shuttle to the beach was a nice offering since it's about a 10 minute walk. The shows at night were fantastic! Very varied and talented musicians, dancers and m.c.'s.
Other trip Oct 30, 2014
kat
"Best hotel ever."
This is only our second all inclusive experience, and our first in Mexico. This hotel is great. The staff are friendly and helpful. The rooms are clean and comfortable. There are lots of activities set up for guest. The shuttle to the beach is great but if you want to walk it only takes about five minutes. This walk is the same distance as many hotels that are beach front. They have a lot of free ocean equipment rentals which is great if you are travelling with kids. The only thing I would change is the Mexican Restaurant which was totally not worth going to. In Mexico you should be able to get great Mexican food at your resort.
Other trip Oct 28, 2014