All hotels in Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, Mexico

Great amenities
  • Bar and Beverages
    Bar is awesome
    Awesome vibe
"Visited October 5, 2015 thru October 15, 2015"
We really enjoyed Playa del Carmen, this was my forth visit to the area. Will not stay at Riu Tequila ever again. Where do I start? Two double beds in the room pushed together side by side, so comfortable for only two adults; we had three adults in our room - made available to use was a third bed, crib size. The two double beds create so many problems; (1) the rooms are small to start with so adding a crib sized bed for an adult gives no room for walking around in room, (2) there is no gain to comfort having two doubles in a room; either remove one double or remove both beds and replace with one queen or one king bed, (3) how i it possible for and adult to sleep in a crib sized mattress? The shower is dangerous to step into; (1) there is a safety bar but in the wrong location, (2) the front edge of shower is too tall so you must step way over into shower causing a dangerous slipping problem. Only one electric plug in room, so make sure to take your own power strip and a forty foot extension cord if you need power in the bathroom for shaving, or sleep apnea machine. After dark you will have problems finding your room because the signs are small and not light - dangerous and difficult for people who don't see well in the dark, so bring a flashlight. Doors use mechanical system, so how many people have copies? Locks don't work well - they are old and worn. I could go on and on but no characters available here so see below.
Other trip Oct 21, 2015
Charlene
The hotel was very good, nice staff, good food, a bit of a walk to the beach through and the bathroom water smelled really bad, maybe due to storms. But overall a great hotel, would recommend!
Other trip Sep 7, 2015
"Nice hotel, close to everything!!!"
First time visiting Mexico, I would recommend RIU Tequila to everyone! Had a wonderful experience from the beginning to the last day there. Staff was very curious and excellent attention to their guests.
Other trip Sep 1, 2015
Mr. G
"Not flexible policy of the hotel"
The hotel was not flexible on reservation for ala carte restaurants. Insist that we get up every morning at 7 to make reservations for the night.also there is only 3 restaurants that we r allowed to eat n 1 was in another hotel . We stayed for 6 heights so was forced to eat buffet . Fed up.
Other trip Aug 29, 2015
Henry
"Nice hotel a little far from the beach"
even though the beach was 5 minutes from the hotel, they had all the facilities on the beach, food, drinks, etc
Other trip Aug 21, 2015
Mario
"Horrible hotel no air conditioning"
Hated my stay hotel manager checked the cleanliness of my room and had to upgrade us to another facility no air conditioning in rooms very uncomfortable
Other trip Aug 11, 2015
"Good hotel..it is not right on the beach!"
the hotel is nice, good staff, great pool area and swimming bar. Food was good! Needs better shows or entertainment. Is about 10 mins from the beach. You have to walk a good distance or take the complementary golf car that takes you there. Overall and playlists RIU!
Other trip Jul 30, 2015
"good"
good place for rest
5 night family trip Jul 20, 2015
"Hotel staff robbed my room !!!!"
This was my second trip to Mexico. Last year we stayed at RIu PAlace and we had uforgettable time. This time we stayed at Riu Tequila which is little far away from beach The food and drinks were good, entertainment shows for kids and adults were ok, it was similar to last year's . The last day of our stay we got robbed from hotel personnel. My husband left the room for 15-20 min and when he went back the money $320 from the wallet and his watch was gone. there were only 2 persons who had entered the room within this 20 min period , the housekeeper and mini bar staffer. I filed the complaint at front desk but security officer didnt believe in my story and they searched our rooms telling us that we might have misplaced the things. The mini bar person seemed very nervous and lost when they questioned him . I 've learned that This is not the first time people have lost things at last day in Riu Tequila. Just never leave your valuables outside safety box unlocked. We left the hotel next day and mobody even apologized to us for what has happened .... We will never come back to any RIU hotels. Coz the management sucks !!!!
Other trip Jul 27, 2015
Nene
"Nice experience"
The hotel was very clean, the workers were friendly and helpful. The food selection and quality was also great. I definitely recommend staying at this hotel.
Other trip Jul 25, 2015
"DECENT HOTEL"
I HAD A GOOD TIME. THE PILLOWS WERENT CONFY. PEOPLE WERE NICE.
Other trip Jul 9, 2015
BILL
"Family oriented hotel"
We enjoyed our vacation at this hotel. The rooms were clean and comfortable and the entertaining group was great. Very good shows every night plus all kind of activities during the day. A very nice place to spend a relaxed week.
Other trip Jul 1, 2015
Gladys
"Excellent staff. Beautiful grounds."
My only complaint is the Internet. It is slow and I had to walk to Srarbucks to make/receive business calls.
Other trip Jun 30, 2015
Billy
"Happy Customer"
We really enjoyed our stay. The staff was extremely friendly and the food was good.
5 night trip with friends Jun 21, 2015
"Ok hotel.."
I just got reminded again why is it that I don't like all inclusive hotels. Nota fan of their food, I rader pay for food and drinks.
Other trip Jun 29, 2015
"Nice place!"
Love everything about it! Will definitely return :)
Other trip Jun 29, 2015
Yessi
"Nice but read the small letter!!!"
We have a nice family week, finding very nice people at the hotel, only 2 issues...the hotel is not ocean front, you must walk or wait for a golf cart to get into the beach and the food at restaurants a la carte, are very limited, just 3 different restaurants with actually same plates you can find at the buffet.
6 night family trip Jun 19, 2015
Hernan
Had a great time at this hotel. Staff was very friendly, scheduled all tours from the hotel lobby, great food, and the pool area was very nice. Hotel is only a five minute taxi ride from 5th Ave.
Other trip Jun 27, 2015
"Outstanding Service!"
As usual, Riu Hotels surprised us with great service and attention to detail. We were a bit concern to the distance from Hotel to the Beach, but it was misleading. It is very close and easy to walk to and from within minutes. Food was probably the best I had in an all inclusive hotel in the Riviera. I told reception it was my wife's birthday. They made a VERY IMPRESSIVE room decoration for her AND a special meal service! Cuddos for the staff!
3 night family trip Jun 18, 2015
Rui
"2nd time at RIU Tequila - great value"
I was here in Oct. 2014, and we loved it so much I didn't shop around, I just booked our stay for June 2015 here. *The RIU yucatan and Tequila are basically the same resort. The yucatan has all the day-time activities in the beach/pool... so people are all there during the day, but the Tequila has the night time shows and club, so in the evening its more lively at the Teq. *The staff is awesome! *room cleaners are excellent *A/C units worked very well... I need a cool room, and they did the job *The drinks are awesome... I've never waited more than a few minutes for a drink, even if the bar is packed. The bartenders don't hound you for tips either... which made me want to tip more. (you will get cheapo liquor in your drinks unless you ask specifically for smirnoff/bicardi/jose cuervo... which they will gladly give you) *The entertainment is nice. There are organized games and pool activities all day at the Yucatan... followed by the evening show, nightclub, and 24/7 sports bar at the Tequila Few Cons... 1) the food seemed lower quality June 2015 than October 2014. Last trip there seemed to be a lot more seafood like shrimp, crab, lobster. There was none of that this time. Food in general seemed to be always overcooked and dry this visit. 2) room next to ours was being renovated... loud repeated banging at 8am when you're on vacation is not cool. After i freaked out at the front desk, they changed start time of the daily renovation until 11am.
Other trip Jun 23, 2015
Beds weren't very comfortable but location, food and service was excellent!
Other trip Jun 22, 2015
"Older hotel, nice stay!"
The hotel was nice- expected for the price. Room was clean, staff is very nice and accommodating. There isn't much to do on the resort, but the beach is not a far walk
Other trip Jun 20, 2015
j
"All inclusive Resort"
Our stay at the Riu Tequila was grand. The staff was friendly and very helpful. The buffets were plentiful and the guests added to the ambiance. I would recommend this all inclusive resort to everyone.
Other trip Jun 19, 2015
Ricardog
"Great Vacations!!"
Super!! very clean, Excellent service, and beautiful facilities....Love it!!
Other trip Jun 9, 2015
Alma
"Loved it!! Was a wonderful vacation."
Really loved the entertainment and staff was so friendly. Will go back again, for sure!
Other trip Jun 4, 2015
"Traditional Mexican Hotel and Beach Club"
This is the second time I have stayed at this hotel. I loved the staff and the traditional decoration of this hotel. Unfortunately, there were many red ant-like bugs in the bathroom which got into all of my bags. I had to clean everything completely when I got home. I was also disappointed by the "wild and loud" constant activities that took place at the pool near the beach. This year the beach was full of sea weed and difficult to swim in.Previous years the water was perfectly clean. My over-all stay at the hotel went well and I really valued the staff and their hard work. I am hoping my next stay goes better than this one.
Other trip May 30, 2015
adult couple
"Room was too far from swimming pool and restaurant"
I'm disappointed With the chefs Mario or Mauricio. I can't recall his name from the Steak house restaurant, I'm allergic to seafood,I explain to him, he was rude,he needs to be polite.I complain With the manager But he don't do anything
Other trip May 29, 2015
"You can't ask for more"
This is my fourth time staying at this hotel. I've stayed at all types of hotels and all inclusive resorts all over the world. When it gets to Riu Tequila in Playa del Carmen and you put price and quality face to face, the hotel is unbeatable. Make your reservation without fear. You won't regret it.
9 night romance trip May 17, 2015
Adrian
"Great All Inclusive"
We stayed for one week in May 2015. The hotel is very nice. The natives are beyond nice and the service was great. This hotel has a lot more shade around the grounds than the Palace Mexico and Yucatan. After visiting all three I liked the grounds at the Tequila best. There were lots of coati around (essentially racoons). As long as you don't leave drinks or food lying around while you go in the pool they were never an issue. I would consider them a plus to staying here.
Other trip May 27, 2015
"Wonderful resort!!"
The resort was beautiful and clean. Food was wonderful and always a lot of choices on the buffets. This resort was about a 30-45 minute ride from the airport. We took private transportation and not group transportation. The beach is across the street from the resort and with a sister resort for access. We always went to the beach in the morning because there was less seaweed coming in and not many people down there. There is a golf cart that will take you from the resort to the beach instead of waking. It's about a 10 minute walk. We had children with us and it didn't seem like they had any activities for children. If there were activities, we were not aware of them and they didn't provide us information when we checked in. My daughter celebrated her 10th birthday while we were there, and I did tell the front desk and dinner reservations for the buffet dinning. The room was decorated with a towel cake and they left a note wishing her a happy birthday while we were out for the day. They also left a little trinket for her too. When we went for dinner, they had balloons on all of our chairs and rose pedals on our table. They brought a birthday cake and sang happy birthday to her. She enjoyed all of the special treatment!!! I would stay here again since the overall experience was wonderful. Friendly staff, clean, comfortable rooms, and nice grounds.
Other trip May 20, 2015
Ann
"Excellent Value All-Inclusive"
This was my first time booking a complete vacation through Expedia and the experience was wonderful. We took a nonstop to Cancun on Delta and it was definitely worth the extra money. Best Day Travel transportation services (offered by Expedia) was excellent. We easily found them at the airport, the bus was air-conditioned wonderfully and there were only seven passengers on the bus so we didn't have to stop at many other resorts before we got to ours. I have been to other RIUs in Playacar and although Tequila is not as expensive as some of the others, the service, qaulity of food and accommodations are just as top notch. We emailed a room request to RIU month before our stay and they fulfilled all our requests. The rooms have air conditioning as well as a fan and nice high ceilings. The balconies were great for drying beach clothes over night. The selection of food is extensive and top quality, I recommend trying the steak house for dinner one night as well. The walk to the beach is about 6 minutes and great exercise after all the eating. We enjoyed the beach chairs and loved that we could use the RIU Yucatan pool facilities as well. The restaurant on the beach is great for lunch and offers the same wide selection of food choices. We visited the RIU Yucatan gym as well, which was adequately equipped. Overall, I'd recommend RIU Tequila in a heartbeat. It's a great value as you get to use other RIU resort facilities and get the same RIU quality for a fraction of the price. Enjoy
Other trip May 19, 2015
"Wouldn't go back to this resort."
Very run down and nothing to do besides drink and eat. Came back home and was very sick. Food could be somewhat better and all restaurants are buffet.
Other trip May 19, 2015
Love the natural look of the resort. A lot of green space, not all concrete. Beautiful paths and scenery.
Other trip May 9, 2015
"We love the RIU!!"
WE love the RIU resorts. It is a favorite of our in Playa del Carmen. No complaints!
Other trip May 4, 2015
"Lovely peaceful hotel"
Great hotel. Close to the beach. You will never feel short changed with alcohol and food. They are practically throwing it at you. If you love animals they have lovely coati's around who are adorable. Will and would go back again in a heartbeat.
Other trip Apr 19, 2015
"Overall a great place for everyone."
We just returned and had a wonderful week vacation. When we arrived we were not sure we were going to like the hotel. I am happy to say we really enjoyed the stay! Originally we were given a room in the rear of the complex, the farthest from the amenities. With kids we found this difficult and on the second day asked to be moved. The front desk staff was very receptive, made the move easy, and gave us a wonderful room on the second floor of building 2 (200's). If you have a family of four, ask for a roll away bed or see what the price is for two rooms. The beds are a little small. We love the Mexican open air feel to the hotel. We did not want a modern looking hotel (we can get that anywhere). The staff is terrific. The kids (and parents too) enjoyed all of the activities(water polo, air rifle shooting, basketball...).The walk to the beach is not far but we often found ourselves taking the golf cart shuttle since it was there every 5 minutes. The pools are nice. Love the towel service. It is so nice to always have a dry towel. The beach is great and we would dip in the Riu Yucatan pool after the beach. The food is good, but pace yourself the first few days, you will taste it all eventually. Many of the parks are a quick taxi ride away so consider that when debating on a tour package versus going on your own. We are already planning on returning next year.
Other trip Apr 17, 2015
Icewife
"Small compact friendly resort!!"
The resort itself is fairly small and compact. It has only 3 major restaurants which is fairly common. The two main pools are great. The entertainment staff is very great and friendly. The food is very good with a huge variety. Cons: you have to wake up early to make restaurant reservations, beach requires a walk.
Other trip Apr 15, 2015
Dasha
"Don't Book this hotel"
Booked this hotel back in August I believe of last year.Arrived April 3rd and was given the choice of staying at their sister hotel across the street or go find a place to stay.Accordind to the hotel hostess in my booking contract they are allowed to do this if they overbooked the hotel.Amazing that I was offered this choice standing there with my 14 year old daughter on spring break.We did make the best of our time and didn't allow Riu to ruin our holiday but I will never stay at another Riu property again due to the lack of obvious customer service.
Other trip Apr 12, 2015
jim
"Riviera Maya Rules"
Another great time in Riviera Maya. The grounds of the RIU Tequila hotel was well kept by the staff, the bar tenders and restaurant workers also worked very hard. The pool at the hotel was also beautiful. There was a sand volleyball court, and a basketball court at the hotel. Even though it was a very busy time of the year, you never had to wait much for anything. The food was good, always able to find something that we liked. The main complaint at this hotel was that you rarely would see the shuttle that took you between the hotel and the beach. When you did, there was only room for about seven people, so we were never able to catch a ride. Even so, we did fine with the walk especially since we tended to eat and drink a little more than we should have.
Other trip Apr 3, 2015
"Fun family holiday"
The RIU Tequila looks exactly as depicted in the photos. The staff is friendly and upbeat and always had a friendly greeting. We had a couple of problems with the room and received prompt attention The rooms are very clean, and furnished in traditional Mexican style. It could probably use an update, but that's also why it is cheaper than some of the other RIU resorts. The food was plentiful and well presented, albeit a bit bland. The menu definitely caters to a European crowd in terms of the items on the menu. We were hoping for more Mexican food, but found plenty to eat. My kids were happy to just have so many options---they expecially liked the omelette and pasta bars If I were to do it again, I would book the RIU Tequila again, but that is because I did extensive research and knew what I was getting into---I knew the beach was beautiful, but 10 minutes away. I knew the decor was traditional Spanish and not posh contemporary. And I knew that the resort caters to families and that kids are everywhere. All of that made it perfect for our holiday.
5 night family trip Mar 27, 2015
"Bang for our buck"
We recently stayed at the Riu Tequila in Playa del Carmen. The resort was a 45 minute drive from the Cancun Airport. We used a private transport company to get to and from the airport. Definitely worth the money! We arrived at the resort very late and when we checked in the staff provided us with sandwiches since we missed dinner. There is 1 bar open 24 hours so we were still able to get a drink after dropping our things at the room. There is free wifi in the lobby only for a max of 90 minutes a day. You can have it in your room for an extra fee. There is a main dining room that has a buffet for every meal. But there are also restaurants that you can make reservations at for dinner. Highly recommended! Make your reservations as early as possible each morning for the best times! Pool is located in the center of the resort! One side has a swim up bar. Lounge chairs go fast! Put your towels on your chairs to save your spot. While this resort is NOT considered beach front, it is pretty close! From the main entrance of the resort to the beach was about a 5 minute walk or 10 minutes on vacation pace on a private walkway. But the hotel did have a shuttle to take you every 15 minutes if you didn't want to walk. While we saved money by not being beach front, this resort provided all the amenities of being beach front property. Highly recommended!
Other trip Apr 3, 2015
Brandon
"O.K. for a Few Days"
We booked late, so we were running out of options and settled on Tequila. I wasn't expecting luxury, and that was good, because it wasn't luxurious. It was fine for a 4 night getaway for the northeast U.S. to warm up. Had I paid attention to the fact that there is no room service, I would not have booked it. We've never stayed at an A.I. without room service, so I never thought about it. We also didn't realize that the "specialty" restaurants are not a la carte...just another buffet limited to one cuisine. The main buffet had more options. The Asian was not good. For the Mexican, we made the mistake of going to the Playacar by mistake. Apparently we were supposed to be at the Yucatan. Playacar would not accommodate us, and we weren't about to rush over to the Yucatan in time. So we skipped it. The main buffet was pretty good for buffet style food. Just know you won't be ordering a la carte from a menu anywhere. Small, dated room. One bath towel each...really? Sheets didn't fit the king bed. Tacky. The ocean was terrible this time. We usually love this stretch of beach, but it was full of seaweed this time (03/10-03/14). Not the fault of the hotel. Just Mother Nature. We have been here at times in late Fall and in Spring and the beach was wonderful. Room had a shower only that felt like a cave...not even a light in it. And it had a (eew) shower curtain. One pool towel per day...really? Con't plan on turning in your towel for a fresh one the same day
Other trip Mar 18, 2015
Xpu Ha Happy
"Previous reviews are accurate!"
Hotel is somewhat dated and the rooms are adequate. 2 Double Beds for 4 people is not very comfortable. There were only 2 outlets in the entire room which I thought was odd. The staff is very friendly and accommodating. They work very hard in the restaurants, the bar area and the entertainment staff around the pool. The grounds are in immaculate shape and the pool area is very clean.
Other trip Mar 18, 2015
B Strib
"Wonderful, clean resort!"
We stayed at Riu Teq. Mar. 2 - 9, 2015. We loved the resort, the rooms were private and spacious and very clean which is important to us. It's really spread out which means lots of walking but they have beautiful walkways. We initially thought that since the resort wasn't directly on the beach that we wouldn't like it but they have a golf cart shuttle that runs constantly throughout the day that takes you back and forth. The pool was large, the bars were all open all day long, all the staff were very friendly and made our stay more enjoyable. It's probably the best food we've had at an all inclusive and we've been traveling to the Caribbean since 1999. We typically only stay at a resort 1 time as there are so many to experience but we would definitely go back again. The only negative for us was that they offer no room service so we missed our morning coffee on our balcony; if they would add that or at least provide a coffee maker in the rooms, it would make it perfect!
Other trip Mar 16, 2015
DJ
"Good experience"
We were greeted with a nice drink and checked in. The resort is pretty big which was a change from others I had been to. The resort is in a secluded area that you have to go past guards in a community, so it felt very safe. Rooms are a little dated, but in all honesty, anyone that cares is spending too much time in the room. They had the fridge stocked and plenty of bottles of water too. My biggest complaint about the room was the pillows. You receive two of the smallest pillows possible that don't support your head. We enjoyed the steakhouse and the Mexican restaurant. The Asian wasn't our favorite. Note that the steakhouse is the only A la carte. The Asian is full buffet and the Mexican is buffet for the appetizers. Their buffet hall is actually really good. We enjoyed the breakfast and dinner there. My favorite was the pool side grill out everyday during lunch. They grilled everything from burgers to chicken to pork. The chips and guacomole were phenomenal. As for the drinks, they were always coming, which was nice. My biggest complaint was the pool bar didn't open until 1030. My wife likes to lay out, but after 10 minutes I get bored and am ready for a drink. So be prepared that the bar isn't open right away. The sports bar is open 24 hours and is a lot of fun, especially if there is a futbol game on. The beach is a 7 minute walk from the resort. Its a very pleasant walk, so anyone who complains about it is being ridiculous. The beach was amazing.
5 night romance trip Mar 3, 2015
Alyssa
We originally booked at Riu Tequila and once we got there they informed us we were staying at the Riu across the street. It wasnt as nice and updated, but it was on the ocean. We had a great time regardless, but felt like we were taken advantage of since we had no control over the situation. We had researched and spent months believing we were staying at Tequila and suddenly we were thrown in a cab being sent to a different resort.
Other trip Mar 4, 2015
Nice hotel located in a lush green setting not directly on the beach but shuttle transportation if you choose not to walk the 10 minutes. The walk itself is a beautiful trip through a park Ike setting.
Other trip Feb 13, 2015
margret
Other trip Feb 13, 2015
margret
"Wonderful Stay but"
The only issue we had was it seemed they lost our reservation. After serval minutes of trying to find us in the computer, they said we were selected for an "upgrade@ to the Riu Yucatan, which is on the beach side. We went ahead and took the "upgrade@ to the Yucatan but our room was small and the decor was loud and what I'd consider a cheesy attempt to be modern. We went back the next day and asked for a room at the Riu Tequila which was more to our taste. The rest of our stay was enjoyable but we were inconvenienced by all the shuffling around.
Other trip Feb 12, 2015
We've stayed there 3 times and love it there! Food, service, atmosphere, everything! ! Can't wait to go back!
Other trip Feb 11, 2015