All hotels in Alfreton, England, United Kingdom
Carter Lane East, South Normanton, Alfreton, England, DE55 2EH, United Kingdom, ‏‎800-491-6126

Good internet service
  • Value
    Poor value for money
  • Bar
    Bar is not good
    Poor vibe

"Not at all what it used to be"
I stayed in this hotel many times about 10-11years ago when it was the Renaissance Hotel. We booked again to see old friends living in the surrounding neighbourhood and we were so disappointed that the hotel had not been improved in anyway in the last 10 years. The bedroom we were initially allocated 335 was terrible. The bed linen looked like it had been eaten by moths, the skirt on the bed had stains on (didn't want to think about what they were from), the door handle on the bathroom was hanging off and wallpaper in the room was all scuffed. We were moved into a new room but this was not much better, although at least the door handles were fixed in place. We were given a fan as the room was hot and the window only half opened. When we turned on the fan the dust that blew into our faces was horrific, so much dust and the fan smelt like it was about to explode. The reception area was lovely and welcoming and in fact the reception staff did everything they could with the resources they had but sadly it was just not enough to jump start this hotel back in life.
1 night trip Aug 2, 2014
Nice weekend break East Midlands discount store just across the road Alton towers just down the road and Matlock bath , stepping stones at dove dale was lovely but very busy
Other trip Jul 29, 2014
polly
"Really nice"
We were pleasantly surprised by our stay. Tastecard accepted in the resteraunt . Good interesting choise of food all well presented, a mix of ethnic tastes.
Other trip Jul 20, 2014
derrick
"Incorrect information given and terrible service"
The description of the hotel explains that it has satellite TV channels and pay for movies, it doesn't! When I questioned the front desk they explained that they've had this issue for 2-3 years and they will ask the manager to change it! I checked-out based on them agreeing to give a full refund and I'm still chasing for it despite them confirming it in an e-mail. Aside from that the rooms seemed ok but the TVs are old bubble versions, small and bad reception.
1 night business trip Jul 16, 2014
Adam
"Mixed Emotions"
My arrival at a busy time meant I had to queue for @ 15 minutes whilst a party of about 8 foreign guests checked in, several of them managed to void the Credit Card terminal when their cards were being authorised. As there were only 2 check-in terminals at reception more staff would not have fixed this issue, I was simply unfortunate to be at the back of the queue when I arrived, more people joined the queue after me so it could have been a lot worse. The Hotel is showing some signs of wear & tear, frayed carpets in corridors and stairs. My room was comfortable, tidy and well appointed. I ate in the dining room and have to say the food on offer was above the norm - I elected to try a Brazillian Pork & Bean stew which was very tasty and something I had never heard of before. Service in the restaurant was very good. Back to my room and the CRT TV with small screen was a disappointment. My room was also very hot and did not have AC. As a result I got a raging headache despite drinking plenty of water and this in turn resulted in a poor nights sleep although the bed was perfectly comfortable even though it had sheets and blankets and not a duvet which is more commonplace in most hotels I stay in. Staff were all pleasant and helpful, the restaurant was much better than you might expect for a large "chain style" hotel. Location is also convenient - however the positive factors are let down by the fabric of the establishment and its dated facilities.
1 night business trip Jun 30, 2014
Dominic M
Very good facilities very polite staff within driving distance of fantastic days out
Other trip Jun 22, 2014
dell
"Needs a bit of an update"
Shower was not very good and the lack of a lift made it hard work carrying a case and a laptop bag - apart from that a lovely hotel
2 night business trip Jun 12, 2014
Susie
"Nice hotel, very comfortable and relaxing."
Very comfortable hotel, lots of parking. In-room refreshments including biscuits. Internet available but had a few problems but it didn't matter. Would stay there again.
Other trip Jun 15, 2014
Located right by the station, yet the rooms were quiet. The standard rooms provided were well presented and clean. With friendly service and sensible pricing the hotel appears just as presented on the web site and is recommended.
1 night trip May 24, 2014
Family review
"Not everything worked, food overpriced"
not great. £21 for 3 drinks and some substandard onion rings!?!Did not get requested wake up call, aircon did not work. overall hotel condition a bit tatty.
1 night trip May 24, 2014
matt
very good hotel - the food was a little too expensive and I spoke to a few people who were staying there and were eating over the road for that reason - and actually told us that is what they were doing
1 night trip May 4, 2014
"fantastic staff"
excellent the staff were just fantastic nothing was too much trouble for them at all, everything we asked about they were happy to help , the pool area was great, the food was lovely, we had peace and quiet, and to top it all the the massage was superb and the girls fitted us in on her break so thank you clare and rebecca it was great, will go back soon
2 night trip with friends May 3, 2014
bubbles
"close to M1 without the traffic noise."
great facilities - jacuzzi; pool;steam room and sauna - and close to M1 and peak district
Other trip Apr 29, 2014
Tony
"Great restaurant"
Well presented, good staff to welcome you and the services were great.
1 night trip Apr 2, 2014
"First time here!!"
Never stayed here before and it was really lovely only problem,through no fault of the hotel, was the roadworks on the A1, it took us 2 hours from Leeds!!! It's right on J28 M1 with plenty of parking. The room was clean and tidy and warm, which isn't always the case in other hotels.
1 night trip Mar 1, 2014
Shawn
"noisy pipework!"
The heating system is in need of overhaul. A constant knocking kept me awake most of the night. The situation of the hotel was convenient near motorway. Pobably won't stay again!
1 night trip Jan 22, 2014
"Great Value for money and Friendly Staff"
Although we only use this hotel once or twice a year, it is the only hotel that we return to year after year. The rooms although may seem a little dated towards some of the modern boutique hotels, are homely, comfortable and very spacious and the food is good and very reasonable priced. The staff on reception this year have been the most helpful by far and only were only too happy to make our stay comfortable and enjoyable. A bonus is that it is only 2 minutes away from a Designer Outlet Village. In fact, we enjoyed our stay there so much, we're going back again next week!
1 night trip Dec 7, 2013
Jupes22
"excellent"
excellent
1 night trip Nov 13, 2013
Arthur
Fantastic value for money, got to do some Robin Hood stuff, bit of exploring and it was only 1hr from Alton towers so squeezed a visit in there too. Great fun
2 night trip Aug 24, 2013
"Not HAPPY"
There were a number of points which let this hotel down. It is looking a bit shabby and needs a face lift. The resteraunt had taken a table booking for 08:15 pm but were unable to seat me until some 40 minutes later. The prices in the bar are astronomical ( 2 pints cost over £9.
1 night trip Aug 13, 2013
Disappointed
we were given two rooms in (what I hope was!) the old wing. regardless of the outside temperature the rooms were like saunas, with no air-conditioning.Beds in one room were very soft, although boards were provided when asked; only one room had minibar (empty) and that was useless for keeping items cold. Breakfast was what ine would expect at £15 per head.
4 night trip Aug 1, 2013
"Value for money"
The hotel was fine for the money but without air conditioning, we found it very uncomfortable during the night. There was a fan but there was the usual humming noise which I suppose is unavoidable. I wouldn't stay again in the summer if I could avoid it. The bar area was nice and the staff were efficient and friendly.
1 night trip Jul 27, 2013
Mark and Sandra
"Staff brilliant disappointing hotel"
It is such a shame that the hotel did not live up to the staff who were brilliant. I was put into a room with no temperature control, whilst other members of our party all had cool rooms. Was eventually given a room which was much cooler after several complaints. Although the hotel does advertise air conditioning this only stretches to the conference rooms and restaurant/bar area. The rooms were shabby with worn thread bear carpets, badly marked and stained furniture and water stains on the ceiling. The leisure centre and swimming pool were closed on some of the hottest days of the year due to "essential maintenance"? The food was also very good. The staff could not do enough for you, very polite, hard working and made the event we were attending in the hotel well worth the visit Come on Principal Hayley you need to lift your game and do your staff justice.
Other trip Jul 21, 2013
"Stuck in the past"
This hotel very very very badly needs updating, all the rooms are very tired and look twenty years old or more. We chose this hotel because it was convenient for a wedding we were attending close by. Unfortunately we should have chosen the budget inn across the road. This was the hottest day of the year so far and we sure knew it. There isn't any air con in the rooms and most of them have a very small window that only partially opens. checking in we were given a room that had previously been a smoking room because when we opened the door we were hit with the stench of stale tobacco, our second room had poor ventilation, no sign of a fan despite being assured we should have one and a heating/cooling system that was inoperable and very old. A slow trickle of hot air was all that it could produce, hardly what you needed. The decor is tired and very dated, the walls and ceiling show signs of poor cleaning and maintenance and the carpet was worn in the doorway, the bed was ok but due to the heat and humidity we ended sleeping on it rather than in it. Bar service was awful, in fairness they did have two wedding receptions on but on a busy Saturday afternoon at least one staff member should have been on duty for other guests. Breakfast on Sunday morning was the only redeeming feature, there was plenty of it and it was well stocked, but the lack of a/c meant that the atmosphere was sticky! I won't be staying here again until the owners invest some TLC and AC in this venue.
1 night trip Jul 13, 2013
TonyB
"great hotel"
I stayed in The Derbyshire Hotel for a week on business. I had an executive double room and it was very nice and spacious. The bed was lovely and comfy, and the air con was great as it was very warm outside. Downside is that the TV was an old style CRT TV with very limited channels (I think about 9). The gym is very small (even for a hotel gym) and had limited equipment for doing weights. If there were more than 4 people in there, it felt busy and you ending up waiting for the equipment. The food and drink is very overpriced, I paid £4.40 for a double espresso!! The staff are very friendly and always say good morning/evening etc. Overall, a nice hotel but could do with a freshen up in the public areas.
4 night business trip Jul 8, 2013
"Lack of airconditioning"
The hotel would have been fine if the rooms had not been so hot.I know it was a hot weekend but it was impossible to sleep in that temperature
1 night trip Jul 6, 2013
"Awful bed"
I have stayed at The Derbyshire Hotel a few times previously but probably won't stay their again after this experience. The mattress on my bed was awful and probably the worst I have had the displeasure to lie on (as I didn't get much sleep) in the last 15 years. On top of that, the TV system seems to struggle to produce a decent picture. The staff are friendly enough and the location is convenient as you are just off the M1.
1 night business trip Jul 2, 2013
"pretty good"
Hotel overall was pretty good, breakfast was better than dinner which I think is overpriced.
1 night business trip Jun 24, 2013
underpar
"Very friendly, helpful staff"
No complaints, friendly and helpful staff.
1 night romance trip Jun 14, 2013
AmyON18
"Ok hotel"
Rooms are dated and the bar is overpriced, even for a hotel! £4.80 for a pint!!
Business trip Jun 16, 2013
Kieron
"Good location a bit tired"
I had a good stay and the location for me was great, however the place was a bit tired, the carpets were getting worn out and in the room the TV was a CRT. Also the gym was very small with limited equipment. For the money it was decent value.
1 night business trip Jun 12, 2013
"Disappointed!"
The hotel looked very nice when we entered however the rooms were very shabby. The furnishings and carpets were old and stained in places. The furniture was very dated and worn. The first room we were shown was in need of a clean and a paint. This was not what we expected from a four star hotel! The only positives were that the bed was comfortable, the breakfast was good and the staff were very helpful.
1 night trip Jun 8, 2013
"Good and Friendly Hotel"
This is a very good Friendly Hotel and we had a plesant stay
Other trip Jun 7, 2013
"Needs updating"
This hotel needs a refurb, the decorative order in many areas is below average. The central heating appears to still be turned on (despite the rooms approaching 25c), meaning that rooms default to being hot. Parking is challenging at times as there are simply not enough parks.
Other trip May 31, 2013
Johnson
"Good overnight hotel"
Good hotel with a convenient price. The decor of the rooms is starting to look a bit dated, starting with the TV, which is still an old big type. However, everything was working, clean and in a good condition. We didn't get to try the gym though. Overall, recommended for a stop on the way north.
1 night trip May 25, 2013
"Good qual;ity hotel"
Perfectly fine hotel with an extremely helpful front desk person - Mark (I think)
Other trip May 19, 2013
"Desperate need of updating"
The hotel is in desperate need of an update.There are signs of wear and tear everywhere including a slight damp smell in the corridors and duck tap holding carpet down. Having said that it was clean and my bed was comfortable enough. For a one night business stay it was adequate but I would not want to stay there for a period of time. To be honest I can't believe it was AA 4star rated. The leisure facilities do not also open early enough if like me you are on business and have to leave by 0830 particularly if the checking out queue was as long as it was the day I check out. I waited 20mins before managing to check out.
Other trip May 7, 2013
Jenny
Very modern, excellent room, clean and very comfortable.
1 night trip Apr 29, 2013
Alison
"Could be cheaper..."
I stay here quite often though it's mainly for the gym... i could stay elsewhere much cheaper, and they never give upgrades, which is a little disappointing, plus it is very expensive to eat/drink here and i have had 2 stale sandwiches... however the bar and gym staff are friendly, the bedding is sooo comfy, the bathrooms and rooms themselves are a nice enough size (and include iron, ironing board, hot chocolate and biscuits!) and the gym is nice, with a lovely swimming pool, so it can be a very nice stay.
5 night business trip Apr 14, 2013
Emma
"attended a seminar nearby"
Nice room, nice shower, just a couple of points. The wash basin in the bathroom was badly cracked, and the mattress needed turning, because it was sticking up one side. The room was absolutely boiling, I had to turn the radiator off! But apart from that, the room was clean and comfortable, and I enjoyed my stay. The breakfast in the morning was good.
1 night trip Mar 18, 2013
"The staff are the shining light in this hotel"
The public areas look a little tired, a few frayed carpets but was clean and tidy. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the bedrooms were clean and in better condition than the public areas. Breakfast was hot and well cooked, slightly over zealous waitress taking plates away before you had really finished, but could just be a bit over eager to please. over all could do with a little money spent on public areas there to compliment the lovely staff.
Other trip Mar 11, 2013
Generally very well looked after by all the staff. The room we had however was beginning to look tired - needed decorating, and bathroom had a significant number of cracked foor tiles. Were only resident for one night so not a problem, but if we had been staying longer we would probably have commented on condition
1 night trip Feb 23, 2013
"A1"
100% happy, Great hotel
1 night business trip Feb 19, 2013
"overnight stay"
The room was uncomfortably warm on our arrival. we had to turn the heating to cool and open the windows as it was too warm and made my partner feel sick.
1 night romance trip Feb 15, 2013
"Huge bed - in the executive - good nights sleep"
booked the executive room - was clean, spacious with a huge comfory bed. Downside where the hotel staff were not attentive - improvement from last stay though.
1 night business trip Feb 14, 2013
"Not bad"
Room was bit shabby peeling wallpaper etc, bathroom was a bit ropey also. Bed was adequate
1 night trip Feb 13, 2013