All hotels in Alfreton, England, United Kingdom
Carter Lane East, South Normanton, Alfreton, England, DE55 2EH, United Kingdom, ‏‎800-491-6126

Fantastic value for money, got to do some Robin Hood stuff, bit of exploring and it was only 1hr from Alton towers so squeezed a visit in there too. Great fun
2 night trip Aug 24, 2013
"Not HAPPY"
There were a number of points which let this hotel down. It is looking a bit shabby and needs a face lift. The resteraunt had taken a table booking for 08:15 pm but were unable to seat me until some 40 minutes later. The prices in the bar are astronomical ( 2 pints cost over £9.
1 night trip Aug 13, 2013
Disappointed
we were given two rooms in (what I hope was!) the old wing. regardless of the outside temperature the rooms were like saunas, with no air-conditioning.Beds in one room were very soft, although boards were provided when asked; only one room had minibar (empty) and that was useless for keeping items cold. Breakfast was what ine would expect at £15 per head.
4 night trip Aug 1, 2013
"Value for money"
The hotel was fine for the money but without air conditioning, we found it very uncomfortable during the night. There was a fan but there was the usual humming noise which I suppose is unavoidable. I wouldn't stay again in the summer if I could avoid it. The bar area was nice and the staff were efficient and friendly.
1 night trip Jul 27, 2013
Mark and Sandra
"Staff brilliant disappointing hotel"
It is such a shame that the hotel did not live up to the staff who were brilliant. I was put into a room with no temperature control, whilst other members of our party all had cool rooms. Was eventually given a room which was much cooler after several complaints. Although the hotel does advertise air conditioning this only stretches to the conference rooms and restaurant/bar area. The rooms were shabby with worn thread bear carpets, badly marked and stained furniture and water stains on the ceiling. The leisure centre and swimming pool were closed on some of the hottest days of the year due to "essential maintenance"? The food was also very good. The staff could not do enough for you, very polite, hard working and made the event we were attending in the hotel well worth the visit Come on Principal Hayley you need to lift your game and do your staff justice.
Other trip Jul 21, 2013
"Stuck in the past"
This hotel very very very badly needs updating, all the rooms are very tired and look twenty years old or more. We chose this hotel because it was convenient for a wedding we were attending close by. Unfortunately we should have chosen the budget inn across the road. This was the hottest day of the year so far and we sure knew it. There isn't any air con in the rooms and most of them have a very small window that only partially opens. checking in we were given a room that had previously been a smoking room because when we opened the door we were hit with the stench of stale tobacco, our second room had poor ventilation, no sign of a fan despite being assured we should have one and a heating/cooling system that was inoperable and very old. A slow trickle of hot air was all that it could produce, hardly what you needed. The decor is tired and very dated, the walls and ceiling show signs of poor cleaning and maintenance and the carpet was worn in the doorway, the bed was ok but due to the heat and humidity we ended sleeping on it rather than in it. Bar service was awful, in fairness they did have two wedding receptions on but on a busy Saturday afternoon at least one staff member should have been on duty for other guests. Breakfast on Sunday morning was the only redeeming feature, there was plenty of it and it was well stocked, but the lack of a/c meant that the atmosphere was sticky! I won't be staying here again until the owners invest some TLC and AC in this venue.
1 night trip Jul 13, 2013
TonyB
"great hotel"
I stayed in The Derbyshire Hotel for a week on business. I had an executive double room and it was very nice and spacious. The bed was lovely and comfy, and the air con was great as it was very warm outside. Downside is that the TV was an old style CRT TV with very limited channels (I think about 9). The gym is very small (even for a hotel gym) and had limited equipment for doing weights. If there were more than 4 people in there, it felt busy and you ending up waiting for the equipment. The food and drink is very overpriced, I paid £4.40 for a double espresso!! The staff are very friendly and always say good morning/evening etc. Overall, a nice hotel but could do with a freshen up in the public areas.
4 night business trip Jul 8, 2013
"Lack of airconditioning"
The hotel would have been fine if the rooms had not been so hot.I know it was a hot weekend but it was impossible to sleep in that temperature
1 night trip Jul 6, 2013
"Awful bed"
I have stayed at The Derbyshire Hotel a few times previously but probably won't stay their again after this experience. The mattress on my bed was awful and probably the worst I have had the displeasure to lie on (as I didn't get much sleep) in the last 15 years. On top of that, the TV system seems to struggle to produce a decent picture. The staff are friendly enough and the location is convenient as you are just off the M1.
1 night business trip Jul 2, 2013
"pretty good"
Hotel overall was pretty good, breakfast was better than dinner which I think is overpriced.
1 night business trip Jun 24, 2013
underpar
"Very friendly, helpful staff"
No complaints, friendly and helpful staff.
1 night romance trip Jun 14, 2013
AmyON18
"Ok hotel"
Rooms are dated and the bar is overpriced, even for a hotel! £4.80 for a pint!!
Business trip Jun 16, 2013
Kieron
"Good location a bit tired"
I had a good stay and the location for me was great, however the place was a bit tired, the carpets were getting worn out and in the room the TV was a CRT. Also the gym was very small with limited equipment. For the money it was decent value.
1 night business trip Jun 12, 2013
"Disappointed!"
The hotel looked very nice when we entered however the rooms were very shabby. The furnishings and carpets were old and stained in places. The furniture was very dated and worn. The first room we were shown was in need of a clean and a paint. This was not what we expected from a four star hotel! The only positives were that the bed was comfortable, the breakfast was good and the staff were very helpful.
1 night trip Jun 8, 2013
"Good and Friendly Hotel"
This is a very good Friendly Hotel and we had a plesant stay
Other trip Jun 7, 2013
"Needs updating"
This hotel needs a refurb, the decorative order in many areas is below average. The central heating appears to still be turned on (despite the rooms approaching 25c), meaning that rooms default to being hot. Parking is challenging at times as there are simply not enough parks.
Other trip May 31, 2013
Johnson
"Good overnight hotel"
Good hotel with a convenient price. The decor of the rooms is starting to look a bit dated, starting with the TV, which is still an old big type. However, everything was working, clean and in a good condition. We didn't get to try the gym though. Overall, recommended for a stop on the way north.
1 night trip May 25, 2013
"Good qual;ity hotel"
Perfectly fine hotel with an extremely helpful front desk person - Mark (I think)
Other trip May 19, 2013
"Desperate need of updating"
The hotel is in desperate need of an update.There are signs of wear and tear everywhere including a slight damp smell in the corridors and duck tap holding carpet down. Having said that it was clean and my bed was comfortable enough. For a one night business stay it was adequate but I would not want to stay there for a period of time. To be honest I can't believe it was AA 4star rated. The leisure facilities do not also open early enough if like me you are on business and have to leave by 0830 particularly if the checking out queue was as long as it was the day I check out. I waited 20mins before managing to check out.
Other trip May 7, 2013
Jenny
Very modern, excellent room, clean and very comfortable.
1 night trip Apr 29, 2013
Alison
"Could be cheaper..."
I stay here quite often though it's mainly for the gym... i could stay elsewhere much cheaper, and they never give upgrades, which is a little disappointing, plus it is very expensive to eat/drink here and i have had 2 stale sandwiches... however the bar and gym staff are friendly, the bedding is sooo comfy, the bathrooms and rooms themselves are a nice enough size (and include iron, ironing board, hot chocolate and biscuits!) and the gym is nice, with a lovely swimming pool, so it can be a very nice stay.
5 night business trip Apr 14, 2013
Emma
"attended a seminar nearby"
Nice room, nice shower, just a couple of points. The wash basin in the bathroom was badly cracked, and the mattress needed turning, because it was sticking up one side. The room was absolutely boiling, I had to turn the radiator off! But apart from that, the room was clean and comfortable, and I enjoyed my stay. The breakfast in the morning was good.
1 night trip Mar 18, 2013
"The staff are the shining light in this hotel"
The public areas look a little tired, a few frayed carpets but was clean and tidy. The staff were very friendly and helpful and the bedrooms were clean and in better condition than the public areas. Breakfast was hot and well cooked, slightly over zealous waitress taking plates away before you had really finished, but could just be a bit over eager to please. over all could do with a little money spent on public areas there to compliment the lovely staff.
Other trip Mar 11, 2013
Generally very well looked after by all the staff. The room we had however was beginning to look tired - needed decorating, and bathroom had a significant number of cracked foor tiles. Were only resident for one night so not a problem, but if we had been staying longer we would probably have commented on condition
1 night trip Feb 23, 2013
"A1"
100% happy, Great hotel
1 night business trip Feb 19, 2013
"overnight stay"
The room was uncomfortably warm on our arrival. we had to turn the heating to cool and open the windows as it was too warm and made my partner feel sick.
1 night romance trip Feb 15, 2013
"Huge bed - in the executive - good nights sleep"
booked the executive room - was clean, spacious with a huge comfory bed. Downside where the hotel staff were not attentive - improvement from last stay though.
1 night business trip Feb 14, 2013
"Not bad"
Room was bit shabby peeling wallpaper etc, bathroom was a bit ropey also. Bed was adequate
1 night trip Feb 13, 2013
"lovely hotel"
Lovely hotel. Excellent value for money. Breakfast good too. Will definately use again.
1 night business trip Jan 28, 2013
"A great place to stay"
Excellent hotel, great breakfast, clean comfortable rooms and polite helpful staff
1 night trip Jan 12, 2013
"Conveniently situated."
Easy to find, just off the M1. Comfortable, quiet, good breakfast. A lot better than Most of the typical motorway chains.
Other trip Dec 20, 2012
David and Antje
"Great Hotel but make mistakes!"
We have stayed at this hotel on numerous occassions and have always been very happy with the service and comfort this hotel offers. However, on this last occassion, I booked an executive room (as usual) but ended up with a double room. I queried the reception staff who told me that they'd over subscribed and had given us the usual extras that the executive room have. I explained that we didn't have the extra space and the larger bed but instead they'd put the complimentary robes and slippers on the bed which does not justify the extra cost. The staff were sympathetic and gave us complimetary room service as a good will gesture. The following morning the staff said they would follow up my complaint with regards to the oversight and the fact that we had a terrible night in a standard double (my hubby has recently undergone surgery so needs lots of space)... I have heard nothing from the staff and am disappointed to say this as normally they are very good. This mistake will not put me off booking this hotel again but it will make me more adament that I get the room that I book in future.
1 night trip Dec 15, 2012
Jules22
Comfortable room, reasonable service, however cleanliness of room could have been better.
1 night business trip Nov 20, 2012
Andy
"Good for me"
Always a pleasure staying here, its worth the extra few milesup to junction 28rather than stay in Nottingham Center
1 night trip Oct 15, 2012
"Best bedding ever"
The bed was so comfy, bedding was soft, pillows were amazing! Gym was nice, not amazing but adequate. Food was shocking! The hand cut chips were nice but the chicken was on the verge of being off, one night I had the most expensive sandwich, in stale bread which took about an hour to prepare... 3 times i sent it back, it was just awful... they are short staffed in the mornings and at the bar where one poor guy has to do everything! The taps were hanging off the wall and the aluminium windows were damp and smelly... other than that I have stayed in much worse!
Business trip Oct 6, 2012
Emma
"Perfec location near the motorway"
We arrived at about 7.15 and were told that we we couldn't eat in the dining room until 9.15, despite there appearing to be a lot of available tables. We were a bit annoyed about this but in fact had a nice bar meal instead which was quite tasty and came up quickly. While eating we realised that we had been charged for the room again on arrival, despite having already paid Expedia in full in advance. The hotel were quick to correct this when pointed out, but they shouldn't have had to rely on us noticing this. We had a nice room with a fairly comfortable bed, with a good bathroom with a bath and shower over and plenty of room for everything. The room was really cold when we arrived and it took us a little while to work out how to get the heating going. We then ended up with the room too hot and despite constantly turning the thermostat down, we never got it cool enough again so were hot all night. There was a notice in the room telling us the times when we might have a short or a long wait for breakfast. We had a bit of a wait. The dining room is clearly too small and there clearly aren't enough staff, as similarly to the evening before, there were tables ready that weren't being used and a lot of people waiting for breakfast. The staff were working really hard and were charming, but couldn't cope. When we eventually ate, the breakfast was very good, with plenty of choice.
Other trip Sep 26, 2012
Kate
"Nice room, shame about the restaurant"
Room was fine, comfortable and clean. Stay here often but usually eat over the road at Premier Inn. Decided to have Sunday meal in restaurant. Completely disorganised - lost booking made three days earlier; rubbish service - once seated ignored us (took orders from 2 tables next to us who came in after us; then served them bread rolls and still ignored us!!!), didn't ask if we wanted to order any drinks; made all customers queue at till to get bill and pay - embarrassing other diners (standing over them)...and then on check out they tried to make us pay a second time (reception said they had not record from the restaurant of the payment made the previous night). Total fiasco...and the food was very ordinary but they charge London prices. Don't be fools - go over the road to eat.
1 night business trip Sep 2, 2012
Regular Guest
"Derbyshire stopping point"
Excellent location just off Junction 28 of the M1. Ideal for visits to Chatsworth, Bolsover Castle and Hardwick Hall. Also close to Designer Outlet Centre for the clothes shopper! Staff were friendly and approachable. Room was clean, with good added facilities; iron, ironing board, hair dryer and trouser press. Fitness centre was a bonus. Free of charge, with gym, pool, jacuzzi and sauna. Again these were nice and clean. Evening meal was particularly good. On the negative side; Service in the bar could have been better. The buffet breakfast suffered a similar problem to other hotels with long a delay for hot food items to be replenished. Wanted to start a 'tab' but could only do so with a credit card and not a debit card. Having said all that, overall very good value for money, and would happily stay there again.
1 night trip Sep 2, 2012
"Great mother and daughter or couples weekend break"
Very good value for money - nice spa and friendly staff. Well situated for sightseeing, walking and shopping.
Other trip Sep 5, 2012