All hotels in Playa del Carmen, Quintana Roo, Mexico
Ave. Xaman-Ha, Retorno Sayil S/N Fracc. Playacar, Playa del Carmen, QROO, 77710, Mexico, ‏‎800-491-6126

The staff and service is amazing, the hotel is really nice and clean and has its own beach area. I would definitely visit here again.
3 night family trip Jul 11, 2015
"Jungle Love"
Beautiful resort. I'd stay there again.
5 night trip with friends Jul 15, 2015
Keith
"Nice hotel on a budget"
The staff for the most part was very friendly. Staff was always cleaning and maintaining the grounds. The speciality restaurants were very nice. The buffet was good but served almost the same stuff every day and sometimes the food was cold. The deli snack food was terrible. We dreaded if we missed lunch and that was the only thing available for hours till dinner. :( the beach was beautiful. The hotel was over all really nice.
Other trip May 2, 2015
Jen
All inclusive hotel right on the waterfront very close to the downtown Playa del Carmen area. The only problem we ran across was arriving our first night and we were put into a double queen bedroom when we had selected a king bed. We were able to move rooms the next morning without a problem. While at the front desk the next morning it seemed as though this was a frequent occurrence for the hotel. The beach was beautiful. Hotel was very comfortable with lots of chairs, canopy beds, and umbrellas. The staff were very good at customer service and take pride in their jobs. the buffet was expansive and decent. The two restaurants on-site were a bit disappointing as I could tell my tuna was previously frozen. The excursions that were offered through the hotel that we did (snorkeling, jungle, scuba) were excellent.
Other trip Apr 25, 2015
"Beautiful section of beach"
The staff at the hotel was excellent. Specifically Willy, Mario, and Carlos. The beach is gorgeous and the pools are well maintained and clean. The actual guest rooms leave A LOT to be desired, although they are very clean. The food was fine (for an all-inclusive) with breakfast being the better of the three meals. My only warning two people would be to avoid the "presentation." It is a sales pitch that lasts far longer than the 90 minutes they promise. One last thing, I would recommend not bringing any valuables with you because a very sentimental ring was stolen out of our room.
Other trip Apr 24, 2015
susan
"Hotel nice, clase to playa del Carmen"
People at front desk not nice, guess desk horrible supposedly open from 9 to 5 went back 4 time to arrange transportation, finally Daniel at reception told me to dial 0 and do it my self. Daniel at front desk very rude, I asked 3 times for sodas for our room bar never got one in the 6 days. Pool area and beach very nice. Food its k. Felix, Vicente at the bars very nice and so was Matio at the buffet and Gonzalo at the Italian restaurant.
Other trip Apr 21, 2015
cristina
"Very Nice Trip"
Vacationed -week of 4/6/15 Pros- The staff and service were excellent! Loved that there was coffee and ice cream every night. Loved that I didn't have to make reservations at the Mexican rest. (W/ upgrade) Beach was nice, little see-weedy, but very nice Less crowded than in the downtown area, but still close The grounds were beautiful, like a tropical rainforest. The Hotel grounds are not too big but not too small, short walk to everywhere from anywhere. Plenty of Hotel bars and options Rooms were clean Felt safe Noticed a lot of families, but was good for couples too Cons- The room was very uncomfortable Bed was terrible-uncomfortable, thin covers too The shower had no water pressure, trickled, and not very hot either Wall were very thin you can hear everything outside and in rooms I wish they would have played music more when you were at the pool
Other trip Apr 18, 2015
M.C.
"Beautiful beach and fantastic staff!"
My husband and I took our 8 daughter to Mexico for her first time and we loved the Reef Playacar! Everything booked via Expedia worked splendidly and literally everything was done for us. The resort is about a 40 minute drive from the Cancun airport and a 15 minute walk from downtown Playa del Carmen. The kids club is lacking and the water activities although free, did have time limits. The food was fantastic and the variety and quality of the buffet was great. The staff is incredibly friendly and helpful. The beach is absolutely beautiful and perfect! There are no rocks and the seaweed it regularly removed from the beach by the hotel staff. I do highly recommend upgrading to the premium package for the 19 dollars a day. It gives you free wifi, free acces to the Terazzo grill (6$ up charge per person otherwise) and the best part was access to Nico's bar. There is hardly ever anyone there and you get drinks very quickly and there is a better selection! Orlando is great and will make whatever you want! The bar itself is very cozy and there are great beach "beds" that are usually open. The landscape is amazing and the picture online actually look like the resort, We plan to return in 2 years :)
Other trip Apr 17, 2015
becca
"Nice time"
Overall a very nice stay. I would go back. The food was mediocre. It was definitely worth the extra $6 to eat at the nicer restaurant. The used the onsite dive shop to get an easy SCUBA dive in. It was pretty cool. I took my family on the snorkle trip and it was horrible. We didn't see a single fish. Ask if there are any gaurantees before paying your money.
5 night family trip Mar 23, 2015
"Awesome hotel"
Hotel and staff were great. They accommodated all of our needs. The layout of hotel was excellent with variety of areas to lounge, pools were great especially with the free scuba demos
Other trip Apr 11, 2015
"Awesome experience!"
Great time @ The Reef. I would definately recommend this hotel to others.
Other trip Apr 7, 2015
"Great location and a clean resort."
This is our 2nd time here and it's a great place to stay if you want clean and good location without draining your pocket. I would recommend the upgraded bracelets, worth the upgrade for our party of 8 that likes to drink on vacation. Huberto the pool bartender was the best at making drinks and he was fast. We booked a excursion from someone on the beach called Superior but they never showed up. Don't book from beach walkers. We then booked with the travel place at the resort which was at least there to bring us on our excursion but it wasn't what we thought it was going to be. They couldn't give us a complete refund but did give us some money back which is better than nothing. If you book a excursion just be sure it's what you want and clarify it with the sales agent.
Other trip Mar 25, 2015
Tammy
"Hard beds"
I love the resort but the beds were extremely hard. I ended up with a sore back. I would still go back to the resort because it was a lower occupancy and had a great time. The staff was very friendly and made sure you had fun. the beach was beautiful but there was seagrass floating up the whole time we were there.
Other trip Mar 16, 2015
ludewig the 1st
Nice smaller resort,no waiting for anything. Close to the town area.
Other trip Mar 12, 2015
"Mediocre hotel"
Upon arriving the lobby was nice and the staff was friendly. After check-in we were escorted to our room which was outdated and the floors were dirty. Overall the resort is nice if you do not have high hopes. It is a smaller resort so you are never fighting for a chair at the pool or beach; even during peak times. The downfall of the pool and beach - the pool was always dirty and numerous guests had complained. The beach had so much seaweed washed up on shore that you had to pretty much walk in the water or walk way off-shore. As for the food, it was mediocre at best. The buffet served the same foods daily and often times what was leftover from dinner got served at breakfast the next day. The snack shacks food was awful and the Italian restaurants was okay. We have been to numerous other resorts and most likely would not ever go back to this one.
Other trip Mar 12, 2015
dissapointed
"Beautiful location...hotel needs many updates."
The overall look of the hotel is beautiful, staff was great. However we didn't sleep for one night due to the constant noise. Whether it be the blaring music from the upstairs bar which stayed open until 2 am or the staff rolling carts by and doing work on the building, constant banging and other noises. Walls are paper thin so expect to hear EVERYTHING your neighbors are up to. If not for the overall condition of the rooms it would have been a great trip. Clean beaches, nice pool and great staff and those locations.
Other trip Mar 9, 2015
Food and drinks selection not good, but facilities pool and beach area are nice
Other trip Mar 4, 2015
The dive shop was great, master divers very friendly and knowledgeable
Other trip Mar 2, 2015
"Great Atmosphere Some drawbacks"
The resort is in a great location, you can take a walk 15 minutes into Playa del Carmen. The beach out front of the hotel was beautiful, with great waves to play in. The surf was varied some days the waves were large enough to body surf in and other days we only had small surf. The ambiance of the resort itself is different than most hotels. The center area of the resort has large trees and a cenote. The sound of the cenote fountain and the wind in the trees is very relaxing. There are several great areas to sit during the day and at night and enjoy the atmosphere. You can also watch the small wildlife run around. The room was clean and updated, I believe they had just finished remodeling the bathroom and did a nice job with the tile and fixtures. The staff was very friendly, we loved the ice cream parlor and the great service we received there. The snack bar staff and restaurant staff was always friendly. The Bartender in the lobby had was great at making a drink as well as giving you info on the best things to see and some of the local traditions. The doors on the room are very thin and we could hear our neighbors hanging out in front of our room at 6:30 in the morning as well as 1 or 2 in the morning, it made it hard to sleep and was very frustrating. The food was good but not great. There was only 2 real restaurant options unless you wanted to upgrade your wrist band for the day. There was some nickel and dimeing a nespresso from the lobby in the morning was 50 pe
Other trip Feb 28, 2015
If your expecting a 5 star hotel - then this is not for you If your flexible, looking to create your own good time, easy going, looking for a property where you can kick back and just "chill". Then take a look at this property We had a great time, made friends with the staff and the other guests Had a ball and would consider going back Only 200 rooms so max amount of people would be 800. I think we only saw 300+ max for mid feb You see the same people at breakfast, beach/pool, dinner We did not go with premium drink service -- really no need to either Stay away from Juan and his HARD sell for the time share Say "Pablo" says high to the event staff and find the hardest and coolest bartender Felix!
Other trip Feb 28, 2015
pablo
"Beautiful Location, uncomfortable bed"
This hotel is at a very beautiful location, located in the the Playacar area of Playa Del Carmen. In my opinion, the Playacar community is the only place to stay. Hotel was nice. Staff were very friendly. Cleaning staff did a good job. Food was pretty good, not great, but compared with other all-inclusives, I thought it was better than average. The only complaint I had was that I booked a room with a king bed, and got a room with 2 doubles. I asked to be moved, but they said there were no rooms available, so we were stuck there. Additionally the beds were very uncomfortable. But that was my only complaint. Really a beautiful place, and I would return to the same hotel.
Other trip Feb 26, 2015
Hank
"Nice, but probably not again"
Overall the property was nice. The food and drink options were fine as well. Our main gripe about the place was the comfort of the beds and the noise. There wasn't any loud parties, but the walls were so thin that you could hear every footstep and conversation nearby. It was nice to get back home to our own beds for sure.
Other trip Feb 25, 2015
Nice hotel with helpful and friendly stall. Facilities were very good.Senior
Other trip Feb 22, 2015
Oldie
"Walk to beach, bar, nice scenery!"
Bed wasn't comfortable, but spent no time in room, friendly staff, very accomadating and activities are right on the beach, great views of carribean and Cozumel.
Other trip Feb 20, 2015
Donald
"Relaxing in the Caribbean."
Staff were great. Food was more than adequate. Not a lot to do on site, but a great location for beach and relaxation. Rooms were far below expectations. I don't know if you can request an updated room or if they were only for club members. Will be looking for something new next year. The free non-motorized equipment staff were very rude about any kind of help unless you were willing to pay for a lesson. There was a portable bed and mattress , staked up by are buildings entrance two days before we left, it still may be there ? Room mini bar had two beers that we had to ask every day to be replaced or we got none.
Other trip Feb 17, 2015
"Nice hotel close to the beach."
The experience was very pleasing. The bed was not very comfortable, and the food was good, but buffet food stayed almost the same the entire time, so it would have been nice to have a greater variety. The restort's mexican and italian restaurants provided very good food which was nice for a change. The rooms we reserved were not available, so we got two queen beds instead of a king. The pool could have been cleaner. Staff was very friendly.
Other trip Feb 17, 2015
My husband and I spent 5 nights there for our 30 year Anniversary. It was lovely. The room needed a little updating and we had difficulty getting hot water the first two days but we enjoyed ourselves. The large terrace was a big bonus and my husband enjoyed the outdoor tub. The staff was very accommodating and friendly. We would stay here again.
Michele
"First Trip to Playa del Carmen"
All inclusive resort. Used to staying at Marriott Resorts so that is my comparison. Room was accommodating, but beds were hard, not comfortable. Thus, not as relaxing as would have liked. Lost opportunity here. Buffet was good. Lots of variety, but nothing special. Overall, an enjoyable experience, but not a place I would rush back to even though the resort is located on a beautiful beach and is just a 15 minute walk to Playa del Carmen. Main issue was the lack of more personal attention to the subtle things that contribute to the guilty of the stay. Grounds were a little tired, service touch was not really present. With the right management attention to greater detail and guilty of food and better mattresses could be a great experience. Message to ownership and management: invite me back once you have made some of these improvements. Great location.
Other trip Feb 8, 2015
Newly Retired
I had 3 jewelry items that i had purchased at Cacabel handicraft come up missing
Other trip Feb 5, 2015
Stu
"Loved Reef Playacar"
This is a great alternative to the MASSIVE all inclusives that require golf carts to get around. I love that you get the jungle feel around the rooms and the expansive beach/sea view from the pools, buffet, and lounging areas. The staff here are super friendly. I have to say that I think the people that complain are probably the same people that treat the staff poorly and want the Waldorf experience at the Hilton price. I am from Boulder, CO and I would go back to the Reef. I loved sitting by the ice cream parlor and the afternoon coffee bar, enjoying the lush gardens and waterfalls. I really enjoyed the food... And I am a self proclaimed foodie. The Italian restaurant was my favorite, ordering the fish or beef. I didn't eat pasta. ;). It's nice to not have to make reservations for the nicer dinner spots. The buffet is great for breakfast and dinner. The snack bar is great for late night tacos, although I would not suggest the wings. I was never hungry. I would suggest splurging for the upgrade bands for the beachside bar and better liquors. Again, I know that all inclusive says that tips are included, but don't be a cheapskate on vacation. If you tip, you will get very nice pours of whatever liquor you want. I have to wonder about the people that complained that they didn't have what they wanted. Maybe they were really drunk or really rude?
Other trip Jan 28, 2015
"Nice hotel put very pushie to up grade you"
From the moment we checked in the concierge sat us down to tell us about the resort immediatly tells us that we cant go into one of the resturants or use one of the bars on the beach... you have to pay 15 dollars a day and told us we bought the cheap package ? Meanwhile there was no option for other packages online but the persuad people to pay extra when arriving i guess! But overall a great expirience but never going back. Staff was great and friendly!! Only ate breakfest so dont know how dinner was because we ate at 5th ave everynight!! 5 min away with taxi !! Room was nice and so was the beach and pool !! Again staff was great but they want to get more money once arrival !! Be aware of that cuz i wasnt!!
Other trip Jan 10, 2015
"Nothing its what they say"
At the moment, all change al conditions are manipulated by the hotel. The food is terrible.
Other trip Jan 10, 2015
javier
"very nice stay !"
very nice staff.... good food.. drinks are OK the pool is beautiful ,the towels for the pool always available and clean
Other trip Jan 9, 2015
joya
The room was in need of a makeover. There were dirty dishes that sat outside the next rooms door during our stay. The Italian restauarant was hot but the food was ok. Lucy and our server were very attentive but the salad bar was not restocked in a timely manner and everything was empty. During breakfast the next morning we had to ask for coffee several times and finally gave up. Bloody Mary's were not available until 10am. This hotel needs sprucing up and the service needs to kick it up a notch. However, the front desk staff was excellent and checked us in quickly even though our reservation was made last minute and they had not received the info from Expedia.
Other trip Jan 4, 2015
rhonda
courteous staff,good food ,great beach,good time,have been there 3 times now,would go again tomorrow
Other trip Dec 28, 2014
"Nice, for the price"
Overall it was nice. Our room was 911. It is not one of the remodeled. It had a view of spa and Mexican resturant. It is rather noisy in the morning, it starts at about 6 am. The employee closet and walk way is right there. The safe does not work in this room. It was included in the package we purchased. Let them know about it and nothing was done. Now onto the rest of the resort. Food was good. Never had a problem finding something to eat. Drinks, no problem there either( we had the premium package), never ran out of anything. And plenty of booze in the drinks. Our complaints,the whirlpool needs to be fixed. No jets. Mine as well sit in the bath tub. At least your not sitting in someone else's germs. The pools are way too cold. No wonder there's never anyone at the swim up bar. Drink service on the beach would be nice. And just some general maintenance would go a long way.
Other trip Dec 22, 2014
jen
"Nice hotel, a lot of trees, shadow"
When we arrived the hotel was not crowded and service was excellent, but closer to the Christmas holidays a lot of people arrived and we started to feel a lack of some food and service.
Other trip Dec 22, 2014
Irina
"Very nice smaller Hotel!"
Very nice setting, beach is steps away, great staff! Rooms are clean and nice! Lot's of food and drink choices. The only disappointment was Mexican Grill restaurant, food was not very good, Italian restaurant was very good. Very friendly staff and short walk to town to all the shopping.
Other trip Dec 19, 2014
"Nice hotel but they try to sell you a timeshare"
As soon as you check in they try to sell you a timeshare and it can get a little annoying. But the hotel was beautiful, nice clean beaches and a great staff
Other trip Dec 13, 2014
Loved the jungle/tropical vibe surrounding the pathways! Pools were very clean and the beach access was super close and convenient! Would definitely recommend!
Other trip Dec 9, 2014
"Rustic luxury?"
Let me start of by saying that I do not usually write reviews, but our poor experience with The Reef may save someone else some heart ache so here goes. My wife and I stayed here for our Honeymoon. It was not at all we were expecting. We have stayed at other hotels in Mexico, including Cancun and Cabo. This was by far the worst when it came to the room. The grounds are immaculate, the staff overall is friendly, the rooms are sparse, the beds are extremely hard (I like a firm mattress, but these were ridiculously firm), the food was sub par, and the drinks were hit and miss. Our room was not ready upon our arrival, 2 1/2 hours after check-in time. When we finally got to our room it was not what we had paid for. We paid for the premium package which was to include a king bed, this room had two double beds, a double does not work very well for my wife and I, we are both tall. I spoke with the front desk and explained the situation, they were unable to move us the first night, I tried to explain that that is what a reservation is for, to "reserve" the room. They informed me that they do not guarantee a king bed....etc., etc. when I booked the room, Expedia had about 6 different options and the one I selected only had a king bed as the bedding. they have since changed their website and they now list only three choices, all with a king or double. I specifically chose this hotel because they had a king only option. If you want an all-inclusive Hotel 6, then book now.
Other trip Dec 6, 2014
"Not terrible"
We spent four days the week leading up to thanksgiving at the resort. The water was beautiful and the weather was nice. The resort seemed a little older and wasnt very big. There were two pools, but one had scuba practice every day. So that leaves one pool that has a bar and a shallow children's area right by each other. I didnt have my children, but I would have been disappointed if I had. The walkways seemed a little treacherous for children as well. They always seemed slippery. The staff was wonderful and I thought the food was too. The nightlife was pretty quiet on the resort. It wasnt a problem with us. We had a group and we made our own party. You might have to leave the resort if you cant entertain yourself at night. If you wanna hang out on a quiet, beautiful beach with friendly people and leave your kids at home, this place is for you. On the plus side of a smaller resort was the fact that I really got to know some neat from all over the world.
Other trip Nov 27, 2014
bryan
it was good they moved our room after one day the bath room was not nice ....the new room was fine we were happy with the hotel
rita
"For older couple not enough activities"
Not enough variety of wines and food limited. Not for children
linda
Second time there . Going back for more . If you like smaller more personal [ they remember your name] this is the place for you . Mexican feel not like the palace next door . good food ,friendly staff that go out of their way to make your vacation one to remember .Once you go you will be hooked and will be back with friends .Great area close to town , gaited community ,high end residential area . Hope to buy in the area in the next two years .PLAYACAR is the nicest area with the best beaches in all of Mexico .
"Great place for families. Loved the food too!"
My wife and I stayed 2 nights here with our 3 and 1 year old. Our kids loved the kiddie pool and the family friendly activities. The food was excellent. The buffet offered a great selection and we loved the Italian restaurant dinner. Wish we could stay longer. The only negative is that the rooms could use a little upgrade but overall we enjoyed our stay.
"Quiet, low key resort"
First off this resort is definitely a 3 star, so don't expect anything more. The resort is very small, there is no night life. If you are looking for a quiet romantic getaway with no young party goers this is the place for you. The beach is by far the best around! Quiet and clean. It's about a 15-20 min walk to downtown 5th ave. we walked both the street and the beach. Food I would have to say was mediocre. The buffet restaurant was hit and miss. The two fancy restaurants were very good, but they need at least one more, because switching from one to the other got old fast. We upgraded and got the premiere room and bracelet, I would def say it was worth it. Nicco's bar was always fun and drinks were great! The employees were very pleasant especially, Willy at the front that helps out with the bags. Lucio at the pool bar was terrific! Orlando and Victor at Nicco's made awesome drinks and were very friendly. We might try another resort next time but we also would come back to The Reef, because of the wonderful beach, location and the great employees we got to know!
michelle
"Beautiful Pleasant Relaxing"
Great staff and service. Excellent food I'll Be Back
5 night family trip Oct 27, 2014
"Friendly staff all around."
We enjoyed all this resort had to offer. this is a small resort and we like that and you couldnt ask for more relaxing suroundings. there is a jungle in the middle of this resort. and they have coffee everyday at 4 in the middle of it. the pictures online dont compair to it in person views. the pool bar area was quite and well maintained. see abraham the bartender, he is a great guy, speaks english well, knows alot about drinks (scoobydoo's) he will not let you go thirsty.lol...just skip the time share meeting if you didnt come to buy one, its a waste of your time and thiers, most concierge work on commision. but if you have 2 hrs to kill, you can get money toward most excursion there. we did the dolphin swim, fantastic dosent come close to the experence we had... everyone from the front desk to the bellhops,(willy, oliver) cooks and waiters, bartender, were very polite and willing to help you with anything you need. just ask. thank you all, for the great time we had.
Other trip Nov 4, 2014
"Great location, great beach."
This was our fifth stay at this resort. We love the size, the beach and the great staff. We have been going to the Cancun area since 1986 and have stayed at many different resorts, large and small. The staff at the Reef does a great job, making you feel very special. The food is good, this is the only resort that I haven't had stomach problems. Believe me that is a big plus. Easy walk to Playa del Carmen. The beach is fabulous. The beach bar staff is great, no problems getting anything you want to drink. Very interactive. Of course Willie the bell hop is a legend, such a nice guy. Doesn't miss a beat. The buffet staff are great also. Just a great time. We stayed ten days this time and of course it went way to fast.
Other trip Nov 3, 2014