All hotels in Pilanesberg National Park, South Africa
Pilanesburg National Park, Pilanesberg National Park, North West, 0316, South Africa, ‏‎800-491-6126

"One day at Pilanesberg"
Beautiful location, great food but the room started showing signs of low maintenance especially in the bathroom. The evening game drive was disappointing because of lack of explanation from ranger.
1 night romance trip Apr 28, 2015
"A great place to stay!!!!!!"
A fantastic stay. Everyone was so helpful and the food was a lot more than I ever expected. Perfect location for a family Safari vacation. My 7 year old son did not want to leave. I would come back to this location anytime. Try to get Lizzy for your game ride.
2 night family trip Apr 7, 2015
"Very good experience"
Overall this was an excellent stay. The facilities were well appointed, although there was some construction in progress. The food was excellent, and the opportunities to visit the wildlife in the park was exceptional, and the drivers were excited to give us a great experience. The park was small but full of wonderful wildlife. The service level in the facilities was average but not exceptional. I would return to this facility and would recommend.
Isa
"Excellent getaway for the weekend hotel"
Lovely rooms, such a bonus that the game drives are included in the rate. Excellent "getaway" for the weekend hotel. Food is outstanding
2 night family trip Feb 6, 2015
Mr L R
We had a wonderful stay at the hotel. The safari was a great experience, our guide was funny and well informed about the animals. Rooms were clean and spacious. The staff was very friendly and courteous. The negatives: It took 1 1/2 hours to check in because they couldn't find our booking. I had a print out of the booking as well as their email confirmation, but the booking did not show on their system. Eventually, they said Venere had booked via Expedia, and the Expedia booking had failed to load onto their system so they couldn't find it!! Also, they forgot to make a booking for us for the safari. We were told to come to the lobby at 4:15 pm for the evening safari. When we did, the lady in charge of the safari said our names were not on the list, and they were all sold out!! Both the times, the staff were polite and helpful, and solved the issue. But it just wasted a lot of our time and created unnecessary stress!
Other trip Jan 4, 2015
Absolute perfect location for ultimate safari with an ambience of a home away from home
Other trip Dec 28, 2014
"One of the best"
We just stayed there for one night and did two game drives (afternoon and in the morning). Though my son was allergic to milk, we had no issues as the staff was very helpful and went out of their way to help accommodate. Food was fantastic, facilities were incredible. Highly recommended.
Sri
"Stay away from this hotel"
I paid 300 euro for a room for one night. The hotel is under renovation, when we arrived at the hotel at 2pm for the check-in they gave us the worst room, the one located right next to the renovation part and the workers, even the doorstep of our room was dirty. I called the reception to complain, they asked us to come and see what they could do. When we arrived the lady at the reception did not apologize for the annoyance and proposed another room, I asked her if it would be less noisy, she said it they were renovations all over the hotel so she couldn't confirm. She was neither nice nor polite, she gave me attitude! Her manager behind her saw what happened and came to deal with me right away. He told her to take me to the new room to check if it was good for me. The new room was not noisy at all, there was absolutely no renovations nearby, I still don't understand why they gave us the worst to start with. I asked, if this was a current practice for them: try to give the worst rooms first. About the overall service, the staff never greeted us. At the restaurant, the waiters and cooks were just doing the minimum, no smile, no good evening, no politeness whatsoever. At the pool bar, where you can get the towels, they told me to get the towels myself (I'm 5 months pregnant). The pool is smaller than I expected. The high price is just due to the location not because of the service or the rooms.
Sandrine
"2hr from Johannesburg"
We went to Bakubong Lodge from JB for the weekend. Initially we went into Sun City (next door - 5km) for a look but way to plastic for our liking. Booked online at the Sun City Gates and went to the Lodge. Lodge is inside a game reserve / national park. Price included breakfast, dinner and a safari tour. Beds comfortable, room was great, views into the bush. Staff super friendly. Food was great. Tour - we saw 4 of the big 5, and had an amazing time
Other trip May 20, 2014
"Excellent Hotel at a Great Price"
Did an over night stay to do an evening and morning game drive. Hotel location is perfect, right inside the Bakubung Gate to the park. Our room rate included one game drive, buffet dinner, and buffet breakfast. Those extras made a high room rate into one that was a steal. Rooms are luxurious and the staff is extremely responsive and helpful. The game guides were exceptional getting us to four of the big five. This is a very family friendly resort. Only downside to the rooms is that the buildings have thatched roofs. That means you can hear what is going on in the room next door. Overall this is an exceptional hotel.
Other trip Apr 16, 2014
"Inside Pilanesburg Park near Sun City"
Amazing food variety, great location for self drive of park or game drive. Beautiful lookout of valley. We went march 14th, weather 18-22 degree Celsius. Rooms spacious. Food one of the best. Bar also plenty stocked. Legacy group has done well.
Other trip Mar 17, 2014
shantanu
"Perfect for luxus mini safari"
The lodge is actually a medium sized hotel but very well appointed (4 star at least). Rooms are beautiful and set in a large horse shoe pattern around a large pond / watering hole. The food is excellent and both breakfast and dinner are buffet affairs. For a traveller used to European prices the drinks are very competitively priced. Game drives are a hit and miss affair - the quality highly dependent upon both your driver and the luck of which animals you get to see. My only gripe that prevented me from awarding 5 stars was related to my room. There was an intermittent fault with the lights (fuse?) and they were unable to repair it. Having a shower, navigating an unfamiliar space not much fun I'm the prr fawn hours. Also when packing I had a long search to find my hearing aid which I did eventually under a cabinet. It had been trodden on and pushed out of the way, presumably by a maintenance guy when trying to repair the lights in the evening dusk. Disappointing. Last comment...this is ideal for a dafaro experience whilst still enjoying a pampered existence. There are more authentic lodges available if you want something more rugged.
Other trip Mar 12, 2014
Barry
"Sublime"
I loved every minute of my stay at the Bakubung Bush Lodge. The room was immaculate, the buffet tasty and exotic, and the drives around the park unforgettable. I saw more wildlife than I could imagine. My only problem with the place was getting there. I was traveling solo with only a few days in the country, unfamiliar with the problematic areas and the local rules of the road, so I was reluctant to rent a car. I searched for any form of public or semi-public transportation (buses to Sun City, etc.) and found them prohibitive. I finally made expensive but satisfactory private arrangements -- just bear in mind that if you're traveling alone, you may need to put a little extra effort into this aspect of the trip. I hope Bakubung finds some good options, because the lodge itself is wonderful.
2 night trip Jan 26, 2014
"Nice time in the Bush"
We enjoyed our stay. Food was very good and the room comfortable. Highly recommend this as a good middle ground between very basic bush camps and high end private lodges. Game drives were well done.
Other trip Oct 5, 2013
sam
Rooms nicer than Internet pictures. Fabulous game spotter on game drives. Cozy rooms and fireplaces throughout. Would definitely stay again.
1 night family trip Jun 18, 2013
Alison
"A magical place!"
This is my second stay at Backabung...and it won't be my last. I can't think of anyplace else I've traveled where I am so totally relaxed. The service is outstanding, location is beautiful, and the game drives are so much fun. I am not a fan of buffets...but their food choices are vast and the quality is great. Definitely schedule a massage--it is the best massage I've ever had! Give yourself at least 3 nights here and do at least two drives. Congratulations to the entire staff at Backabung...you are amazing and we can't wait to return!
3 night trip Apr 17, 2013
D & D
"Great weekend escape from J'burg and Pretoria"
Really nice property with excellent daily game drives. The buffets offer ample options and are worth the price of half board inclusion in the package. Fun programming for kids on location as well as a pool, tennis court, and playground. We would certainly come back again.
3 night family trip Mar 28, 2013
Bakubung is terrifically located in Pilanesberg and the waterhole provides a great view of wildlife. The guides for the wildlife drives are very knowledgeable and fun. I will return as soon as I can.
Business trip Oct 3, 2012
Laurie H

"Very Nice Weekend"
Very nice weekend. Awesome game drives and hospitality excellent. Waited too long for room cleanup on Saturday.
2 night family trip Aug 21, 2015
Ronaldo
"Great Place!"
Great place inside Pilanesburg National Park. Highly recommended. The game drives were great and the drivers were very informative. And the food... Wow!
3 night trip with friends Jul 20, 2015
"Great Experience!"
Bakubung Bush Lodge was great. I stayed with three friends for three days and loved it! The games drives were incredible. The drivers were very informative. The rooms were nice, and the food... wow! The buffets were amazing. The bush dinner buffet (Wednesdays and Saturdays) should not be missed.
3 night trip with friends Jul 20, 2015
ZA
"Family weekend in the bush"
We enjoyed a family weekend away. We loved the bush and the food was good. I just thought the wine was really overpriced compared to similar institutions. Weather was good and the boma bush Braai on a Saturday night is a must. Magical. ⭐️
2 night family trip Jul 3, 2015
ZA
Excellent stay all round. No complaints at all.
3 night family trip Jul 2, 2015
Pierre
ZA
"Great for Family Safari"
A great place to stay for a safari. Literally in the park! They did great with our kids, even allowing kids of all ages on the guided safari (or "real safari truck" as my 4 year old calls it).
3 night family trip Apr 26, 2015
"Bakubung Bush Lodge"
My wife & I thoroughly enjoyed our 3 day stay at Bakubung Lodge after a conference at Sun City. The service and friendliness of all staff was exceptional and we would not hesitate to recommend the Lodge.
3 night romance trip Mar 12, 2015
"Bakubung Game Lodge"
Really great staff.Building work which should have ended in November is still ongoing,very noisy starting at 0730-not good if you've decided not to go on the morning game drive.Obviously,rangers can be variable and we had one who wasn't that good,only really knew about big 5,no smaller animals or flora. Food was great as was wine selection. Would probably stay again if we went with friends who were on a budget,this is a mid range sort of venue but that is not a criticism.
2 night romance trip Jan 18, 2015
stephen
"family vacation"
a perfect vacation in the middle of the reserve
3 night family trip Jan 1, 2015
dani
"Good value family holiday ..."
2 night family holiday. Overall good experience, but started poorly with inattentive front-desk staff that kept us waiting for over 45 min to get the room ready ( well after the checki-in time. Otherwise stay was pleasant with a good dining experience. Not bad value for DBB + game-drive with kids being completely free.
2 night family trip Dec 22, 2014
ZA
"Christmas at Bakabung (although you wouldn't know"
The positives are nice comfy room, the pool is nice, the Game Drives good, breakfast plenty of choice and good quality. and the guides informative and friendly Not so good - we went over Christmas but nothing special was laid on, evening meals were a disappointment , the same food every night and the meat always overcooked.The last game drive was in the rain and we were looking forward to the coffee stop we did stop (not sure why as we then drove straight back to the lodge) but no coffee
Other trip Dec 29, 2014
Cheryl
Check in staff did not have our booking through Hotel.com seemed to cause a lot of confusion building work going on but otherwise fabulous setting in the Pilansberg
2 night trip Sep 14, 2014
"great location and the staff at the restaurant was great."
We had a fabulous time, we will definitely come back soon.
3 night trip Aug 29, 2014
"Fantastic field guides"
The field guides are terrific, each game drive is a huge learning experience, and lots of fun!
3 night trip Aug 17, 2014
Andre
"Bakubung"
This is a really lovely lodge but unfortunately there is major building work going on at the moment near the pool by the family rooms. We were moved to a quiet block but had to pay for another room for the children because we could not all fit in to the new room. The manager gave us an excellent price after some haggling. Would highly recommend just don't stay in a family room until work complete and make sure you get a room away from proposed new Spa area when you book.
Other trip Aug 23, 2014
"Average Service"
The location of the hotel is perfect...but unfortunately the service of the rooms let this place down...cockroaches in the rooms, cleaning staff not removing dirty glasses and cleaning the rooms effectively. The staff were friendly and helpful at most of the amenities of the hotel. Game Drives were great and the barbecue in the bush was also a highlight. But for the price charged we would have expected more!!!
3 night family trip Apr 18, 2014
Danie Burger
ZA
Food was great and staff very friendly and helpful!
3 night trip with friends Apr 14, 2014
Colleen
ZA
"Excellent Choice for Pilanesberg"
Booking through Hotels.com was convenient and the best price we found for the resort after checking many websites. The standard room impressed us both as the furnishings, draperies and fabrics were of quality. The bathroom could be opened up to the bedroom by louvered doors if you wish. There is a separate shower and tub and the room was 'spotlessly' clean. The building we were in is 2 stories with rooms on the ground floor offering a terrace and the rooms above a balcony. We found the breakfast and dinner buffet that was included, to be very good, fresh ingredients, simple food but very tasty given the volume produced and location of the resort. We were pleased as the restaurant exceeded our expectations - no complaints. Bottom line we were happy we chose Bakubung, very much enjoyed our 3 night visit and would definitely return.
3 night family trip Jan 4, 2014
Excellent service. Very patient staff. Nothing was too much trouble. Kids (age 6&9) particularly enjoyed the "junior rangers safari" where they went out on a game drive with a guide from Bakubung with a special emphasis on education about conservation in the park. The only (trivial) negative was the on/off wifi in the hotel. Overall superb experience for 2-3 days with children.
3 night family trip Apr 13, 2014
Max
"Game reserve break"
Very comfortable room, lodge is very well run, staff very friendly and helpful. Food is very good and varied. Game drives interesting, and although on this occasion we didn,t see lion or leopard, I have seen them in the past. Rangers were good, . I would recommend Bakubong lodge.
Other trip Apr 14, 2014
"great location, committed staff"
great stay in ideal location frequent visitor and overall excellent experience let down by the fact that i have repeatedly ( on 3 occasions now) complained about the poor and very variable WiFi service - dont plan on doing any work, you'll be sorely disappointed. I have also complained that the fast dial phones dial you through to non existent extensions and the numbers on the phones and in the information folders are all wrong. In spite of my complaints none of these issues have been addressed. Im considering some of the excellent alternative hotels in the area/park for my next visit
Other trip Apr 8, 2014
NA
perfect for exploring pilanesberg. We were unlucky with the weather and a bit dissapointed that all game drives were cancelled when we could go into the park with our own vehicle.
2 night trip Mar 13, 2014
diego
"very bad game drive and food"
The game drive was worst. No sights of lions leopards or buffalo. Where are big 5, as promised. We were vegeterian and we told reception while checking in , but reception never communicated to chef. The food was horrible .
1 night trip Feb 12, 2014
jubin thakkar
IN
"Situated perfectly, great view, comfy beds"
Everything was great, except the most ghastly toilet noises when flushed, also the aircon that did not work properly and sadly no coffee in our room.
1 night trip with friends Jan 25, 2014
Marie
ZA
"A wonderful retreat in the heart of the bush"
Room 302 was a ground floor twin with fantastic views of the watering hole. As we arrived, an elephant was taking a stroll around the perimeter fence. Lion visited later. What a welcome! From the gatehouse staff onwards, we had an excellent, friendly service. Five star, but not fussy or intrusive. The meals were superb and an inclusive game drive per day was also a bonus. Organise your permit for the Pilanesberg or Sun City at reception as this is much cheaper than paying at the gate. Overall, a truly perfect place to stay - we wish our four days could've been longer.
Other trip Jan 11, 2014
Tracey
"Christmas at Bakubung"
Excellent facilities in picturesque surroundings. Quick access to Sun City resort. Good quality food geared to festive season.
2 night family trip Dec 25, 2013
Jan
ZA
"Great game viewing with Sun City bonus on doorstep"
My 2nd visit here & again it was great. For around £185 prpn, bed,breakfast & a fabulous dinner buffet, the rooms are large, well appointed & all look out onto the watering hole with it's ever changing visitors. Also included in the price is a game drive per day, either morning (early!) or late afternoon. Extra drives can be booked at £22 per person or for around £10 you can self drive your own car into the reserve for £10 for the duration of your stay. We did that also & came across lads of animals that way also. The entrance to the reserve is a 3 minute drive. The gambling Mecca of Sun city is only a 10 minute drive away but one nw has to pay to go in & visit, about £3-50 each & to be honest it's simply not that good. However if you haven't been before it's worth a look. Staying at Bakubung is way cheaper than any of the hotels there & in our opinion, way better too.
3 night romance trip Oct 20, 2013
"Overall fantastic!!"
This is a fantastic resort. From the quality of the rooms to the fantastic food to seeing 4 of the big 5 on our game drives, this is an experience not to be missed. I would recommend it to anyone!!
3 night romance trip Oct 8, 2013
Joey
"Game drives and bush hotel"
We had a thoroughly enjoyable stay in Bakubung Bush Lodge. The game drives were excellent with informative game leaders and we were lucky enough to see a variety of animals on our morning drive. The environment of the lodge was also excellent but we found the double room for four people including 2 teenagers was too small for comfort, requiring more storage to keep suitcases out of the way. Staff were always pleasant and helpful throughout our stay.
Other trip Oct 13, 2013
Peony
"Lovely situation with easy access to wildlife"
Bakubung was a great three day break being so close to Johannesburg. Soft hills of the reserve are a stark contrast to the ugly Sun City and plethora of mines in the local area. Game drives were good with transport well organised and high quality. Food was plentiful and delicious. The hotel was only about a third full and could be a little busy if capacity reached. Ideal for children as wildlife is easy to find and zebras etc. drink at the waterhole next to the hotel. Lovely staff - helpful and polite.
Other trip Oct 13, 2013
Kate
"Blissful Bakubung"
I returned to SA after 17 years abroad with my daughter - I was nervous, time-poor and I exhausted. Bakubung beckoned... it was the perfect choice. Staying in Johannesburg I didn't want to travel too far but wanted a true game reserve experience. We were picked up from Sun City in a 4WD vehicle - that was where our adventure began. The Lodge is personal, friendly and restful - with game drives offered early mornings or late afternoons/evenings. We wanted to relax while having the experiences - lazy breakfasts in or outside overlooking the hippo pool - where we languished in the shade of the umbrellas while becoming friendly with a family of warthogs, wildebeest and water buck. Mid mornings were spent lazing around the pool with the odd snack or cool drink; followed by siestas and then our evening drives. On our first evening we encountered lion just 2 metres from our vehicle, white rhino, giraffe, and a herd of 14 elephants including 3 babies - WHAT A TREAT! Bakubung - up close and personal without malaria, long drives and dusty terrains...
Other trip Oct 3, 2013
Sophie
"Pilannesberg at its Finest"
The hotel has very comfy and spacious rooms. The room was very clean. Front desk service is good but still can be improved. Front desk needs more staff to cater to the needs of the visitors. Food was really great especially the bbq night in the bush. We will definitely come back. :)
1 night trip Sep 22, 2013