All hotels in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States of America
420 High St, Winston-Salem, NC, 27101, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

Fabulous
1 night business trip Aug 5, 2015
"Diamond in the rough"
Pleasantly surprised at the Hawthorne. The neighborhood isn't great, but the Hawthorne was probably the best hotel value I've ever seen. For the price, there is no comparison. Updated rooms that with modern decor and very clean. Beds were very comfortable and the shower had great pressure. Add in the full hot breakfast buffet that is included and you simply cannot beat the value.
1 night family trip Jul 24, 2015
"Excellent suite"
Excellent suite very friendly and clean. Nice pool and great breakfast.
1 night family trip Jul 25, 2015
william
"Nana and Katelynn making memories"
We really enjoy our stay everyone was so friendly and helpful
2 night family trip Jul 20, 2015
Good!
3 night trip with friends Jun 20, 2015
maurice
"Nice hotel for the price."
Hotel was as advertised. Free parking and free breakfast were nice perks. One complaint: Accommodations for wheelchair were minimal. Really hard to get around the hotel and a large truck parked and blocked the only reasonable access to the lobby one morning. Otherwise hotel was good for the money.
1 night family trip Jun 14, 2015
Harold
"Good location and clean, quiet room"
The hotel is located in a nice part of town. I walked around the area which seemed like a hip place with a children's museum. I ate at the Willow's Bistro that was in walking distance. The room was quiet and clean. I visited the pool which was a good size and privately located in a courtyard.
1 night business trip Jun 15, 2015
Kathryn
"Clean & comfy!"
We elected to stay here based on prior reviews and the outstanding price on Expedia. We had a suite, which encompassed two good size rooms: one with couch, table & chairs, bar, fridge, microwave, kitchen sink and the other with two very nice queen beds and large bath. The complimentary breakfasts the next morning was very good and buffet style in a designated dining room (not a lobby, like Hampton Inn). Everything was very clean and updated. Centrally located so you have lots of dining and entertainment options close by. Would definitely stay again!
1 night family trip Jun 13, 2015
Judith
"Dated but Clean"
Registration is an old-fashioned paper-based system. I had reserved a room with two double-beds, but was given one with one bed. The staff were helpful in correcting. Rooms, and hotel generally, were a bit dated but clean. Breakfast buffet was plentiful if not of stellar quality. Have tongi down a short set of stairs to get to room elevators, which is inconvenient with rolling suitcases. Location is pretty good--near downtown.
1 night family trip Jun 8, 2015
Staff, hotel everything was wonderful!
1 night family trip May 16, 2015
"AAA+++"
Very relaxing and enjoyable.
1 night family trip May 15, 2015
"college move"
Helping daughter move out of dorm. Staff was helpful. Hotel was clean. Breakfast was good.
1 night family trip May 16, 2015
"Not what I thought it would be..."
Rooms and hotel are old and in need of upgrading. This hotel is owned by the hospital and it is run like it is. Bathroom, to quote Dudley Moore in Arthur are too small to change your mind. Front and back of hotel are on different levels and if you do not get one of the Handicapped spots behind the AC unit, your 90 year old (or other) mother-in-law has to navigate lots of steps. I would never come back here. The staff tried to accommodate us, but they did not have the room to do so. Buyer beware.
Response by Hawthorne Inn and Conference Center
It saddens me that we fell short in meeting your needs. I did enjoy speaking with you and your family while you were here with us. Even though we are rated 7 out of 36 hotels in Winston Salem through Trip Advisor, there is always room for improvement. We are also in the process of revising that back area for easier access. If you are in this area again, please allow us the opportunity to be your Host. We would love to have you and your family back. Helena Sims Front Office Manager
Other trip May 5, 2015
"Don't stay here if it's over $59 per night!"
This hotel hasn't been refreshed since the '70's and is not of the caliber for the price charged. Will never stay with this brand again. It's a one out of 5 Stars and should be about $59 per night, not $159!
Response by Hawthorne Inn and Conference Center
I'm sorry that you were disappointed in your accommodations. We strive to not only meet but exceed the expectations of our guests. We are indeed an older property and we complete numerous updates and renovation projects each year. Please tour our property when you're back in the area. Our staff would love the opportunity to change your impression of us and be your Host. Have a great day. Sincerely, Helena Sims Front Office Manager
1 night trip Apr 21, 2015
"Overall nice experience"
Very nice experience with the room, staff the lounge. Liked that rooms had refrigerator and microwave. Exterior seemed old but interior new and continued to improve. Sleep rooms for medical reason was not fan of and had to unload vehicle either in front or rear by using stairs to get to room elevators
1 night business trip Apr 16, 2015
"Excellent Location Downtown"
The hotel is currently undergoing some renovation, but even with that it was comfortable and the staff was extremely helpful.
Other trip Apr 15, 2015
"Close to Old Salem"
Was able to walk to Old Salem easily. Dinner at Hotel was good and reasonably priced.
Other trip Apr 6, 2015
"Nice place, friendly staff"
The Hawthorne exceeded my expectations. My rooms were clean and spacious with all the ammenities I expect from any hotel at this point. My only gripe was the lack of bedside electrical outlets.
3 night trip with friends Mar 19, 2015
"Business as usual......in a good way"
Another good experience through Hotels .com, thanks
1 night business trip Mar 18, 2015
"A 2, not a 4"
Visiting colleges in the area. Booked this hotel based on reviews. The hotel was in no way as good as the ratings. It was a dumpy hotel with poor customer service. Don't believe the reviews rating this as a 4 or higher. It's a 2
1 night family trip Mar 18, 2015
"Good but not great"
We enjoyed our stay as a whole. There were 3 things I saw that I felt could have been better. First the handicap parking lot on the side seemed hard to get to with the fenced in area. Second in the gym the tv the clock nor the phone worked. My phone was in the room charging and I had no way to keep track of the time. I went twice during my stay and neither worked either time. The third thing is in regards to room service. We had a few late nights due to the event we attended. Everything around the hotel seemed to be closed when we returned around midnight. It would have been nice to have access to a late menu to hold us over till breakfast.
2 night family trip Mar 13, 2015
"Nice Hotel & Good Service!"
Second time staying here on business trips to Winston-Salem. Nice hotel with good, friendly service, plus the price includes a nice hot breakfast, along with the free on-site parking.
1 night business trip Feb 23, 2015
"Loudest Room Ever"
Rooms have virtually no sound insulation: it sounds like you might as well be staying outside. The freeway sounds like it's in your room. We ran in to one person who was changing rooms because the outside noise was so loud.
1 night family trip Feb 23, 2015
"Pleasant"
Clean room upon arrival but no service during the stay. Only received clean towels. Amenities and location, great.
2 night trip with friends Feb 6, 2015
"Nice enough."
We weren't there but one night. So it's a little hard to review it on way or another.
Other trip Feb 10, 2015
"Not far from the convention center."
Great staff, Great pillows, Great Hot Water, Good rate, Good room, Better than average free breakfast.
Other trip Jan 30, 2015
MS
"amazing accommodations"
Everyone was very kind and accommodating to us and also provided us a few hours late check out on our last day. The food was excellent including the breakfast that comes with a room rental!! Thank you all for a great stay!!
2 night family trip Jan 16, 2015
nicklas
Clean, quiet and comfortable...... Breakfast was ok and nothing special at all, but did the job.
Other trip Jan 21, 2015
"Wonderful Hotel & Great Staff"
Great location in downtown Winston Salem. The hotel is beautiful and VERY CLEAN. The staff upgraded us to a suite upon our arrival for free and after our son broke one of the mugs in the room, they waived the fee. Free breakfast buffet with hot and cold foods. The staff was very friendly and kind to our family. Would definitely stay here again, especially for the price!
Other trip Jan 13, 2015
Chad
We checked in late on Christmas Day but the staff was waiting for us, friendly and accommodating. The only issue I had was that I was not told at check in that the cook was away on vacation and as a result the hot breakfast that we were promised was not to be. So, we went to the breakfast area and were very disappointed to find stale bagels, white toast, several types of flake cereals with non-fat milk (the only choice) and mini-muffins sliced in half!!!! I can accept that it was the holidays and the cook was away but it would have been nice to have been told in advance AND to have yogurt as an option. It was particularly galling because our 19 year old son was with us in the room and we had to pay extra for him, in part, because of the breakfast! He did not eat the "breakfast." (I know that he is an adult and some places charge extra for a third adult; that was not an issue.) We were there for three nights; the cook returned ion the day we checked out. The breakfast was only marginally better with the addition of bacon and powdered eggs. The server or maybe a cook was overheard to say "I don't care; I am not putting more out. They get what they get." This was in response to a request by the hostess! We have stayed at this hotel in the past, during the summer months and actually recall a good breakfast experience. I hope this most recent experience was an aberration as I like the hotel itself and its location. The staff was friendly and helpful.
Other trip Jan 5, 2015
"Holiday relaxation"
We traveled for the Holidays and this was a pleasant stopover. Breakfast was hot with good choices.
1 night family trip Dec 19, 2014
"Wake Forest Baptist Hospital patient and family -"
Came to Winston Salem for minor surgery but far enough from home to need a stop over place the day before. The Hawthorne gives a wonderful discount and free shuttle for patients and family of Wake Forest. The hotel itself is very nice, staff is great, food wonderful, and SO convenient. Will stay here whether hospital related or not.
1 night family trip Dec 14, 2014
Julie A
"out standing"
nice meet high school classmates, meals is great , pleasant stay
Other trip Dec 12, 2014
"disapponted"
Front desk could not find reservation and told me the hotels.com confirmation number would not work and I needed have the confirmation number from the hotel. After checking my picture ID, she said she needed to be 100% sure I was the person who claimed which I find very weird. The description said rooms had been renovated, this really meant new furniture. Electrical was not up to date and could only find one plug for computers, phones, etc...Will not recommend.
1 night business trip Dec 7, 2014
"Nice First-Time Stay"
It was just a one-night stay for business, and it was my first time staying at this hotel. I found it to be comfortable, clean, quiet, and convenient. The included full breakfast was a real plus, too.
1 night business trip Nov 20, 2014
Enjoyable stay and good location. Facilities and staff were both very good.
"Repeat visitor"
An overnight business trip. The Hawthorne is perfectly acceptable for business. In fact, the room is laid out very well to accomplish work while staying in Winston-Salem. The complimentary breakfast is nice and convenient and the location is good for access. I got the impression that the hotel caters to meetings; I was attending the High Point Furniture Market as were many other guests, but there were plenty of people coming in with what appeared to be meeting material. This was my second visit, so i certainly found the Hawthorne to be a perfectly acceptable facility.
1 night business trip Oct 20, 2014
Lewis
Nice hotel. Very convenient to downtown. I really enjoyed it.
Other trip Oct 21, 2014
Vickie
"Great hotel, not great coffee"
The hotel is an older establishment but has been well maintained. Staff was pleasant and food at Bistro was good. I was disappointed in the coffee selection for the room. While Keurig is a growing "popular" trend, it is not earth friendly, economical or efficient. Keurig makes 1 cup at a time which takes about the same amount of time as it takes to brew a pot, so if there is more than 1 person per room and everyone drinks coffee, it can be a little annoying waiting on that much anticipated cup of morning java. Additionally, each cup of coffee is packaged in a small plastic container which is not biodegradable. The hospitals furnish the coffee so if you want additional coffee for your room, there are extra fees, $1.00 per cup. Being a coffee consumer, the cost of Keurig is higher per cup than any alternatives. I would stay at the hotel again, but will consider the coffee situation and plan accordingly.
1 night trip with friends Oct 16, 2014
Maxcine
"Friendly staff"
I arrived several hours early and was able to get a room which I promptly locked myself out of. After a few laughs I received another room key.
Other trip Oct 8, 2014
tired traveler
"Good deal"
Good deal
1 night trip Sep 26, 2014
Jiboo
Breakfast was mediocre at best.
1 night trip Sep 24, 2014
"Great location great staff"
We arrived late and were happy to see we'd been upgraded to a fancy room! It was so much fun! I know this can't happen every time, but the staff was great about it. Breakfast is way better than most places - lots of options, not just carbohydrates.
Other trip Sep 8, 2014
louise
"2 days till the beach"
I would recommend this hotel. Clean comfortable rooms, nice continental breakfast, and location close to activities. Had evening meal at the Bayberry bistro, server Barry, was exceptional. And food was Reasonably priced and good fare!
1 night family trip Aug 28, 2014
"Clean, quiet & comfortable."
Convenient access to the city and the Strollway which leads through Old Salem to Salem Lake via the Greenway. The trails were our goal for this third trip to Winston-Salem this year. The side benefits are The Old Fourth Street Filling Station restaurant and Carolina's Vineyard & Hops on Marshall Street. They have the best sangria! Out of the 3 different hotels I have stayed, the Hawthorne Inn & Conference Center was the best. Awesome free full breakfast bar though the attendant could have been more pleasant. She was the only reason I didn't rate the staff a 5. The front desk staff was very pleasant and accommodating. I plan on staying here again when I return to Winston Salem in 2015!
Other trip Sep 3, 2014
Denise
"Wonderful hotel with incredible service"
I loved this hotel; it is an unbelievable value. I was not expecting a whole lot and boy was I surprised. My room was incredibly spacious and clean, with a microwave and refrigerator. The bathroom was large and modern. The service at the front desk was friendly and very professional. I highly recommend the Hawthorne.
Other trip Aug 22, 2014
"Great Value."
I had to come up to Winston Salem for business. This hotel was a perfect fit. Through Hotels.com I got it for a great deal, didn't even break three digits per night. It was quiet. That's one of my biggest pet peeves. So, I got a great nights sleep. The breakfast was way more than continental which was a pleasant surprise. I think they rotate that so don't bank on it. The room was clean, and very comfortable. One of the let downs was the refrigerator, it took a whole day to get my drinks cold. Its also within walking distance of downtown. I WOULD for sure stay here again. I couldn't really ask for more from a hotel.
2 night trip Jul 28, 2014
"Easy walk to downtown."
Hotel is currently modernizing. Clean. Friendly helpful staff. Food in the restaurant is mediocre. Free hot breakfast with all rooms, (average). Nice pool. Good work out room. Rooms are large and spacious excellent meeting facility.
1 night trip Jul 23, 2014
ballancefarm
The front desk staff was very accommodating, couldn't have been nicer. The room service was fast and accurate and even delivered a little past the deadline. The maid staff however... a bit of a problem. We stayed four nights and our coffee was never refilled, one day our room wasn't ever cleaned at all. When we asked for clean coffee cups, on the day that the room wasn't cleaned, we were told by housekeeping to wash them ourselves and reuse them. We did as there wasn't much choice and had to use shampoo to clean them. Also, although our room had a kitchen, there were no utensils or dish soap or anything in the cupboards, we had to borrow silverware and plates from the restaurant on the 2nd floor. The beds were very comfortable, though, and the AC worked great.
Other trip Jul 22, 2014