All hotels in Winston-Salem, North Carolina, United States of America
420 High St, Winston-Salem, NC, 27101, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"It was ok..."
I think they were doing some renovations. They put most everyone on the 5th floor. The rooms weren't updated and the halls were freezing cold, the same temperature as outside. Also there was a really bad odor in the hallways and near the elevator. It smelled like something died. The room overall was ok. I had to keep adjusting the thermostat because they had one I've never seen before. There was just a dial that said warmer. I had to kept turning it left and right just to get it at room temperature. The breakfast wasn't great at all. They had eggs, ham, fruit, toast, muffins, Danishes, and cold cereal. The price isn't worth it. I would stay somewhere else and just buy my own breakfast elsewhere.
1 night trip Apr 18, 2014
"convenient"
Clean, quiet, and easily accessible from highway. Restaurant staff were very friendly.
Other trip Apr 21, 2014
"Great Staff"
My friend and I were pleasantly surprised with The Hawthorne Inn. Clean, good breakfast, extremely helpful and courteous staff. Great location, easy to get to downtown, and Old Salem. A+ all the way around. We had 3, not so much complaints, as just suggestions: 1) Towel bar(s) in bathroom; (2) Full length mirror in either bathroom or room and (3) serve grits and/or hash browns with breakfast. But we LOVED your desserts!!!
2 night trip with friends Apr 14, 2014
"Great Staff, Great Stay"
It was a short stay for a college visit at Wake Forest. There was a little mix-up in that we had reserved 2-queens through Hotels.com, but in their system is was a single king. But they were very quick to address the issue. The beds were comfortable and the room was very clean and well maintained. Very friendly staff. The complementary breakfast was much better than I had expected. I would DEFINITELY stay here again.
1 night trip Apr 15, 2014
I was only there for the night and breakfast. Room was spacious and clean and included a decent breakfast buffet. It looks like the hotel hosts a number of conferences and meetings and the room is wqell equipped for a conference attendee.
1 night trip Apr 7, 2014
"Reasonable place to stay."
Didn't get a chance to scrutinize the facility since we got in very late and had to wake up early the next morning. We can confirm that the room was clean and everything that was suppose to work did work.
Other trip Apr 11, 2014
"Not So Great This Visit"
Third stay in three years for April Highpoint Market. Doubt I will stay again. Electrical outlets in room are difficult to connect to for phone charging and laptop use. Cords easily fall out of sockets. Hotel should upgrade their rooms to suit today's tech savvy travelers. Sunday morning comp buffet did not have any breakfast meat available; just eggs and bread? Saturday night dinner was fair but waiter was like a robot and never checked once during my meal to see if I liked it or needed anything. I will try to book at the Hyatt Place in Greensboro for the October market.
3 night business trip Apr 4, 2014
D Magill
"Downtown hotel close to college"
Hotel was very accommodating to my wife and our two dogs. We were given an room at the end of the hall and close to an exit door that made it easy to take our dogs out. Front desk staff were very friendly and helpful.
Other trip Mar 18, 2014
"Nice hotel close to convention center"
I can't say enough about their wonderful staff, especially Wayne at the front desk, he went above and beyond expectations and made our experience a great one! I would definitely recommend to everyone!
Other trip Mar 11, 2014
christine
"location to hospital was great."
The people who work here are outstanding. They make the place. Robin, thank you for adding my sister to your church prayer list. Everyone went out of their way to be helpful. Getting luggage to the elevator was a little bit crazy, (stairs) but that's the only complaint. If you are there because you have someone in hospital, they will give you a discounted rate..
1 night trip Feb 17, 2014
S. Hammond
"Very nice"
Very nice hotel. Room was clean and bed was comfortable. Staff was very helpful. Would definitely stay again if in the area.
1 night trip Feb 19, 2014
Free breakfast service and quality was very bad. Hot breakfast items were cold and staff was evasive. This is a total and disappointing change from my previous stays.
2 night trip Feb 7, 2014
"Great staff.."
Great staff and location! Was given a free upgrade at check in which was wonderful! Clean facilities and fair price.
Other trip Feb 17, 2014
"Very good value"
Hotel staff very friendly; only ate at restaurant for breakfast--which was adequate. Very quiet and clean.
3 night family trip Feb 5, 2014
Bonnie
Excellent breakfast (quality and assortment). I found it very strange that with the printed notice (placed on the bed) to save the environment/reuse bedsheets, this hotel does not provide a single TOWEL BAR in the bathroom! I would gladly reuse towels. But they don't dry well on the HOOKS provided. Makes no sense to me.
3 night business trip Feb 4, 2014
Kay
"Convenient to Wake Forest Baptist Hospital"
Easy access from & to bus. route 40. Wish food in restaurant fresh, not frozen and reheated. Staff wonderful!
Other trip Feb 5, 2014
"Tanning Convention"
The staff was great. The rooms were clean and very well kept. The only negative I have was getting in and out when you are older is really a challenge with all the steps. There could be more convenient access for older patrons. Other than that everything was great.
2 night trip Jan 24, 2014
Hotel was nice, enjoyed the complimentary hot breakfast, staff was courtesy, hotel was close to conference center.
2 night business trip Jan 22, 2014
Candis
"Great place to stay close to Downtown"
Nice hotel and a lot cheaper than the Marriot. Still very close (walking distance) to Downtown. Remodeled and clean. Nice staff.
1 night trip Jan 19, 2014
Tyler
"Best Value"
Motel price, convention hotel quality. This is a full service convention hotel with all of the facilities. Front desk staff was outstanding. Restaurant had best French onion soup I have ever had.
Other trip Jan 13, 2014
"Best Night in yrs"
We arrived totally worn out from lots of travel. Slept better than ever in yrs. Beds so comfortable (would have liked softer pillows but brought my own so ok). Even on Christmas morning there was continental breakfast (hot breakfast other days.) Very conveniently located and reasonable. We decided to stay an extra day and could in the same room.
1 night trip Dec 24, 2013
Lois
"Conveniently Located"
The staff was VERY helpful.
3 night trip Dec 20, 2013
"Little trip to see Old Salem"
Single traveler with poodle made welcome and very comfortable. Thanks!
Other trip Dec 20, 2013
"A secret jewel!"
The staff was exceptional and the hotel stay was fantastic.
1 night trip Dec 11, 2013
check in was smooth, could not get two rooms on the same floor, we had a disabled adult and support staff with us
Other trip Dec 6, 2013
carla
"Kudos"
We stayed at this hotel for a weekend for my sorority. Driving up to the hotel I was thinking this is not going to be a good stay but never judge a book by its cover. The inside was beautiful and very nice. We travel a lot and this was one of the best hotels. Very room, nice, staff was extremely nice and professional and when in Winston-Salem I will stay again! Kudos to everyone!
1 night business trip Nov 23, 2013
"Mediocre"
It's clean, but it's pretty old. Breakfast is fine. The hotel restaurant is terrible.
3 night business trip Nov 12, 2013
This hotel is an older property, and is owned by Wake Forest/Baptist Medical Center. You'll see families who are visiting relatives there. The building itself is an older property, which is noticeable in some of the decor choices as well as the low ceilings in the hallways, etc. But the customer service is top-notch and efficient, and the personnel certainly seem to do the very best with the property facilities, etc. I traveled with my mother who walks well with a cane, and she felt perfectly safe in the facility with regards to its accessibility. The neighborhood where this property is located is also a bit industrial. It's literally right next to the off-ramp, if you aren't careful you'll miss your turn into the property coming off the off-ramp. You may feel like the area is a little dicey but I'd encourage you to drive past the block where the hotel is located - it's well positioned next to some funky little neighborhoods with street cafes (The Filling Station, Mozelle's, etc) and we found nice meals within a truly short driving distance. It was also really convenient to Old Salem, and a good alternative to the property located directly next to Old Salem.
Other trip Nov 2, 2013
"walking to the fest!"
In capsule-The entire time I was there, I felt I was a Spcial guest!
7 night business trip Jul 28, 2013
DAVID DOWNING
"Very Satisfied"
I am very satisfied with the service. Love the food from the Bistro.
2 night trip Oct 21, 2013
Andrea
"enjoyed."
We stayed for 3 night's while visiting Highpoint Furniture Market. The rooms were spacious and clean. complimentary breakfasts were fantastic. My only wish was that there was a fan in the bathrooms, because it gets steamy, and we would have loved a sink outside of bathroom so two people could get ready at same time. Those are minor things, all was great. We will definitely be back at this hotel for the next show.
Other trip Oct 24, 2013
R
"Compromise on Comfort for Convenience to Downtown"
Be prepared to compromise in comfort if convenience to Downtown Winston Salem or Old Salem Village is what you're after. Bed was akin to a cheap, 2-star hotel. Did not sleep well. Also, if you have allergies, be aware that pets are accepted. We listened to a barking dog down the hall who was evidently missing its owner. On the upside, the staff are exceptionally friendly and the free breakfast included bacon and eggs one morning and sausage and eggs the next in addition to the typical carbohydrate options. You'll have to go elsewhere for a decent cup of coffee, though.
Other trip Oct 24, 2013
Kalymnos Summer
The hotel was clean, comfortable, and conveniently located.
Other trip Oct 20, 2013
Suzanne
"Excellent Choice!"
My husband and I stayed at the Hawthorne in Winston-Salem last weekend and it was extremely nice. The staff is very helpful and cordial and the rooms and hotel were squeaky clean. Everything was comfortable, all the lamps had bulbs that worked...hard to find in most hotel rooms! I would stay here every time I visit Winston Salem.
Other trip Oct 7, 2013
"Wake forest parents weekend"
Clean and pleasant. Very nice staff. The restaurant is only fair. Overall, a great choice for the price.
cheryl
"Good halfway point between downtown and Old Salem"
This hotel offers a reasonable walking distance to both downtown and Old Salem. It's a business-oriented hotel, but offers nice amenities for tourists as well.
Other trip Oct 7, 2013
"Lots of places to dine about 3 to 4 blocks away"
The front desk folks were extremely nice and helpful. Lots of nice places to dine that were only a few blocks away. The pool was awesome.
2 night trip Sep 26, 2013
Freddy S
"Great for Grand Lodge"
I have attended Grand lodge for several years now and usually stay right at the Embassy. I took a chance this year and booked here. I was very satisfied with the room and location. Of course I had to drive about four blocks to the meeting but this was very painless as the streets line up perfectly. The breakfast was very good. in my opinion a notch above the standard "free" breakfast offered at other hotels I have stayed.All in all very good stay.
2 night trip Sep 26, 2013
Trent
"Outstanding check-in staff"
Arrived late, but excellent hotel staff made it easy.
Other trip Sep 5, 2013
mike
"Pretty Darn Good"
Decent hotel. tries hard. a bit challenged by being dominated by the hospital trade. Neighborhood lacks the amenities you'd find a few blocks north. No complaints. Would stay here again.
2 night business trip Aug 21, 2013
"Hawthorne Inn- Augusr 2013"
Highly recommend this hotel. Was really impessed with the cleanliness of hotel & room- really like the Non Smoking policy. All staff was friendly & courteous. Walking distance to Old Salem, the Childrens Museum and downtown. Hot breakfast was okay- nothIng to write home about. We would stay here again!
2 night trip Aug 23, 2013
Cindy
"Good location near WF Baptist Medical Center"
Comfortable hotel located near downtown W-S. Liked the free parking. Would stay here again.
2 night trip Aug 20, 2013
M&M
PERFECT FOR OUR 3 DAY VISIT, DROPPING OFF OUR DAUGHTER AT COLLEGE.ONLY NEGATIVES WERE LACK OF SEATING AT BREAKFAST...ROOM IS WAY TOO SMALL WHEN BUSY AND PILLOWS WERE OVERSTUFFED AND NOT COMFORTABLE ENOUGH.
3 night trip Aug 17, 2013
BHM
Very nice hotel near Baptist Hospital. Discounts given to hospital patients a plus. Hotel is going through a construction remodel, and looks absolutely wonderful. Rooms have been updated and were very clean. The onsite restaurant had excellent food choices (try the fish & chips). The only negative I have was that the mattress was a little hard and could use updating, but that's my personal preference in wanting a softer mattress. Overall this was a great choice and I will stay again when necessary.
Other trip Aug 16, 2013
"Convienent luxury"
This was our 2nd time staying at the Hawthorne & really was not disappointed either time. The hospitality is top notch as well as food with both the Bayberry bistro and complimentary breakfast. My only complaint is that there were renovations going on between 8-5 & we weren't notified before hand. This could have possibly affected our decision to go elsewhere
1 night trip Aug 6, 2013
S.S.
"Nice place to stay"
Hotel is old, but nice. Pleasant place to stat. Staff is nice. Great breakfast buffet.
Other trip Aug 12, 2013
S.
"This hotel met our needs for an overnight stay"
Staff was very nice and helpful. Facility was very clean. Seemed a bit pricey for an older hotel.
Other trip Aug 5, 2013
"It was fine"
We stayed here for a college visit to Duke. It was fine for the price, nothing luxurious, but we didn't expect, need, or pay for luxurious. The hotel was clean. The staff was friendly. The breakfast was good--waffles were the best. For a quick stay in town with a good price, this is a good location. If you want frills, this is not the right hotel for you
1 night trip Jul 22, 2013
Sherrie
"very comfortable hotel and friendly staff"
will stay there again next time in winston-salem for sure!!!! great value!
1 night trip Jul 15, 2013
chuck
"Not a bad walk downtown to our events"
The staff was so very friendly and very helpful. This was our first stay but we go to Winston Salem every year for Heavy Rebel Weekend and we plan on using this hotel again next year because of the service we received.
2 night trip Jul 5, 2013