All hotels in Funchal, Portugal

Great amenities
    Quite clean
    Great room
"Relaxing!"
Wonderful spa and pool areas. We felt very pampered.
4 night trip with friends Sep 21, 2015
Ronald
Great If we want spend same time out the hotel we have ti choose other one Because this one keep us inside
Other trip Aug 5, 2015
"Awesome location"
I'm glad we looked at reviews before our stay and chose the bay cliff. The location, installations, service were fantastic, hope to be back soon.
1 night romance trip May 1, 2015
Ivan
A very lovely hotel with beautiful position. Will return next year.
Other trip Mar 6, 2015
"Outstanding in every way"
This is a lovely resort. Traditional and sophisticated, they focus on the individual. Some families, but mostly refined adults. Some singles, but as usual mostly couples. Many of the guests I met have been coming to the Cliff Bay for years. There are very few Americans! They offer activities if you choose to engage. Cocktail hours with the manager, flower arranging classes, etc. Amenities include a heated indoor/outdoor pool, another salt water pool at sea level, sauna and steam bath are all complimentary. The spa treatments are reasonably priced and well worth it. Restaurants are very nice. Some are casual, some are formal. You can walk to Funchal (20 min). Also, lots of restaurants around if you choose to leave the property. The casino is just down the street. I was there just before embarking on a cruise. I had walked past the port the day before, but took a cab (very reasonable) when carrying my luggage. I highly recommend the hotel and will plan to go back.
Other trip Nov 24, 2014
Capitol HillGal
"Like a star!"
If I could give this place a 10 star rating I would! The location,the food, the accomodations, the service.... everything was absolutely first class.People were so friendly and helpful. We love our stay and for sure we will coming back to Funchal and the Cliff Bay !
Other trip Aug 31, 2013
Jussara
"An unforgettable vacation"
The hotel is chosen after reading the reviews. Not disappointed in anything. Lovely welcome, pleasant, friendly atmosphere, cozy rooms. There are a lot of flowers in the hotel. Excellent location. We dream to return.
Other trip Jul 31, 2013
Tatyana
"Beautiful hotel"
Great place! We were the only couple with a baby (actually the youngest by 30 years)... But would go back in a heartbeat. They had a kiddie pool and toys outside to play with for our 13 month old and even a "kindergarten" or play room inside. Location is great, views are amazing! Breakfast is yummy... Everything you could want!
3 night family trip May 11, 2013

"Five star"
Five stars all the way, a truly lovely hotel. The only let down would be'buffet dinner' but that is the way of modern mass tourism, good as buffets go, but no comparison to a proper restaurant service, they have a Michelin star al a carte restaurant but I don't accept being told what to wear. (dress code )
2 night romance trip Dec 30, 2015
"The cliff bay hotel Funchal madeira"
we had the Most relaxing stay ever - the hotel staff were top class. I would recommend this hotel totally
7 night romance trip Nov 23, 2015
trevor
"The Cliff Bay, definitely five star"
We were in Madeira to celebrate our 30th wedding anniversary, and I chose three Hotels for our stay. The Cliff Bay was saved for the last three days and it was a fantastic choice. From the moment we arrived, we received first-class customer service, were upgraded to a Harbour View room on (506) and on the day of our anniversary, we received a chocolate dessert for two from the Michelin starred restaurant All in all, a great choice and we will be returning as soon as we are able. This Hotel has the only Michelin starred restaurant on the island and the food, presentation and service were exactly as we would have wished. Superb. We have three favourite places to stay, and the Cliff Bay is most definitely one to which we will return, time and again.
3 night romance trip Oct 18, 2015
Sandra
"Excellent but noisy"
We had a "land view" room. in practice this meant that we overlooked the hotel entrance and the main road (Estrada Monumental). Whilst the room was very good - as you would expect in one of Madeira's very top hotels - noise was a significant problem. This was the noise of buses, taxis and motor cycles coming to the hotel and vehicles of all types passing on the main road, at all hours. It is particularly noticeable if you want to have the window open and the air con off. Suggestion - upgrade to side or full sea view room then this problem is much reduced.
2 night romance trip Oct 12, 2015
"Faultless"
Fantastic week at theCliff Bay Hotel very relaxing will definitely return
7 night romance trip Oct 4, 2015
"A great find"
Relaxing holiday, hotel in superb location overlooking the sea. Very customer focussed, nothing too much trouble, food on half board was of an excellent quality - if you want a relaxing break would recommend it
10 night romance trip Sep 20, 2015
"Perfect apart from the breakfast."
A hotel full of many nice touches as described by the many reviewers, I will not bother to repeat these. It was almost perfect apart from my one big disappointment, the cooked part of the breakfast in the Il Gallod'Oro restaurant, this was not as good as that from many inferior hotels. The service was generally excellent apart from one morning when there must have been staff problems, as there was only one waitress, when we arrived and she was still setting tables 15 minutes after the restaurant opened for breakfast.
4 night romance trip Sep 28, 2015
"Exceptional"
Spent a week at this luxury hotel and found out what great quality, well worthy of 5 star accommodation, this place was. Special views, staff attentive to all our needs and facilities exceptional. Would recommend a visit to this truly 5 star hotel.
7 night romance trip Sep 16, 2015
"Delightful hotel with excellent service."
loved the hotel, all staff were really friendly and helpful and nothing was too much trouble. A good twenty five minute walk to the older more charismatic part of Funchal if you want a change in the evenings, which we like, but there is a courtesy bus, personally we enjoyed the exercise after feeling thoroughly spoiled and relaxed. I was poorly one evening and had to leave the Restraunt early and the full cost of the meal and wine ordered, opened but barely touched never made it to the bill, we didn't have to ask, and the staff all asked how I was feeling the next day, they even offered to get a doctor, which thankfully I didn't need. Would certainly recommend the hotel. The taxi drivers however drive as though they are on a Grand Prix circuit, at least the three we experienced in Funchal did.
Other trip Sep 27, 2015
Carolyn
"Didn't want for anything!"
Couldn't fault this hotel. It's the only place on the island with a Michelin Starred restaurant! And as expected, the food served with the buffet breakfast was immaculate too. The staff are extremely helpful. I needed a jacket pressed within 2 hours, it was delivered to my room within 1 hour. What more could I ask for?
Other trip Sep 9, 2015
Bryobry
"Fantastic Hotel"
This was a great hotel with all the amenities and very friendly staff. The view from our room (harbour view) was stunning! The breakfast was delicious and included a wonderful selection of fresh fruit. Can't fault it and would highly recommend it to anyone.
Other trip Sep 7, 2015
We stayed 3 weeks, and felt like 1 week. That's good it was.
Other trip Sep 5, 2015
M & M
"Fabulous hotel from start to finish!"
Can't fault a thing! Maybe drinks and food a bit pricey but they deserve to charge a premium and there are plenty of options for eating out close by if you choose to!
Other trip Aug 21, 2015
belle maman
A lovely friendly hotel. A warm welcome at check in with a glass of wine waiting. Received a free upgrade to suite with sea view, which was amazing. All staff were very friendlyand attentive, nothing was too much trouble. Had breakfast outside every morning, never had to wait for a table, food excellent. Always able to get a sun lounger, anytime of the day. All in all a brilliant hotel.
Other trip Aug 5, 2015
sue and dave
"Excellent hotel"
We would most certainly recommend this hotel. The food was delicious with plenty of choice, the hotel and gardens were well cared for and the view from our balcony was spectacular, especially on a evening when you could see the lights from Funchal. It was a quiet hotel where you could have a relaxing week away. All the staff, especially on reception were very helpful and friendly. This was our second visit and it didn't disappoint.
7 night romance trip Jul 13, 2015
"Fantastic Hotel"
We spent a week at The Cliff Bay and loved every minute of it! Great location, ambiance and everything you could possibly need. The breakfasts are excellent, buffet style with tons of choice and Champagne included!
Other trip Jul 14, 2015
JT
"Anniversary Break"
My wife and I plus two ther friends spent a week at the Cliff Bay to celebrate our 40th anniversary. The hotel was a perfect choice, beautiful setting with staff who knew how to look after there guests.
Other trip Jul 11, 2015
"Good hotel with amenities"
Staff very helpful, hotel location good with courtesy coach to centre of town. Hotel amenities very good.
Other trip Jun 21, 2015
Alison
Great Hotel, friendly staff. Looking forward to staying there again.
Other trip Jun 5, 2015
Gill
"A gem of a hotel"
From the glass of bubbly at check in to our departure a week later- nothing was too much trouble. The staff all go the extra mile to ensure customer comfort is their number one priority. The pool and sun terraces always had a selection of available loungers regardless of time of day. The food in the buffet restaurant at lunch and dinner was excellent and it was lovely to be welcomed with a smile by the wonderful restaurant manager and his fabulous team. The location is great with fabulous views over Funchal harbour and a variety of places to eat and stroll in an evening right outside the hotel. This is definitely a hotel I will return to- hopefully sooner rather than later.
Other trip Jun 3, 2015
alfie
"Well worth a vist"
Really lovely hotel, exceptionally clean and a true 5 star. Staff were always polite and courteous, but not as friendly as they could be. Lots of choice for the buffet breakfast and would suit all tastes. Gardens and flower borders are absolutely immaculate. Michelin restaurant available in the hotel, but quite pricey. Bar produces nice meals. Entertainment each night in the bar, but nothing special. Bathroom needs better seals around shower door as it leaked in the corner and flooded the bathroom floor. WC in separate cubicle, but layout a problem, as was situated behind the door. All pool areas spotless and staff very efficient, they even put your towels on the sun beds for you! Also nice play area for children and play pool, although there were no children in the hotel when we were there. Access to sea safe with a guard on duty. Would highly recommend this hotel. Locals say it is the best hotel on the island. Super views too.
Other trip Jun 3, 2015
pauline
"Superb Hotel with a Stunning View"
Excellent hotel, peaceful, tranquil and civilized with spectacular views of the Atlantic ocean. Very good restaurants with exceptional service, making meal time a delight. Staff very friendly and attentive, meeting our every need. Pools and spa lovely with every detail carefully considered.
Other trip Jun 1, 2015
"Best hotel on the island"
The first time we went to this hotel five years ago the taxi driver who took us from the airport to the hotel said he thought The Cliff was the best hotel on the island and I wouldn't argue with that. Been back three more times since then, and most guests do go back, which says it all really. Having said that, it is a quiet and relaxing hotel, so not for anyone looking for something more lively.
Other trip May 31, 2015
JW
"Amazing hotel"
Gorgeous setting, great staff, lovely food. Everything we wanted and more. Perfect! :-)
Other trip May 31, 2015
Leah
"lovely hotel, could not fault it."
From start to finish had a great time here. The Portugese airline we flew with were good. Maderia is a beautiful island and the hotel and staff were perfect
Other trip May 16, 2015
"Excellent Hotel"
This was our first stay at The Cliff Bay and from the time we arrived to the moment we left we had a wonderful experience. The facilities speak for themselves and in my opinion definitely 5 star. The views are wonderful and there are plenty of places around the hotel to sit and observe. What makes it stand out from other hotels, is the staff . All the staff are friendly, pleasant and genuinely want to ensure you have a wonderful stay. There is a lovely relaxed and tranquil atmosphere around the hotel and it appears everything is well managed and organised. We booked B&B as we like to try different restaurants but we did take advantage of the evening meal offer (must book at least 3 nights.) The price I thought was very reasonable as it included half bottle of wine and bottled water. They did a separate deal for my husband who is not a wine drinker. Each day there is a different special offer in the spa and my husband took advantage of this and had a back massage, which he said was very good and relaxing. I broke my glasses whilst away and foolishly forgot to take my spare pair The receptionist was really helpful, she located the nearest opticians, explained opening times and how to get there. The optician managed to do a temporary fix free of charge. They also booked tables at restaurants on our behalf and explained the best roads to use to the various tourist attractions we visited. We would certainly consider staying at The Cliff Bay again. Thank You !
Other trip May 15, 2015
Lorraine
"Always excellent"
I have reviewed the Cliff Bay a number of times, as I have now stayed there 20 times. That In itself should speak of the quality of this wonderful hotel and its staff. A new manager and a few small tweeks to check,in and check out, but still five star!
Other trip May 12, 2015
jules
"Beautiful hotel .Very peaceful and quiet."
Funchal excellent place to chill out.Very clean.went around most of the places by sightseeing bus.
Other trip May 3, 2015
Mani
"First class hotel"
Lovely hotel. Staff friendly and attentive. Excellent choice of restaurants and food. Terrific sea views. Sea water pool a delight.
5 night romance trip Apr 20, 2015
"No negative comments - a positive experience"
Bed and breakfast only. Stayed for a week. 2 active pensioners. Great place to relax by the pool or on room balcony. Good cocktail party.
Other trip Apr 21, 2015
Alison
"We will be back!"
Comfort, spaciousness, kind and friendly staff, brilliant food, swimming pools gallore and a terrific spa. Don't miss the calm and views on the Captain's lounge. Ideal place for an aperitif. Out of seasin visit is ideal because there is plenty of room and it is quieter.
Other trip Apr 18, 2015
Marcelo
"Luxurious break"
We had a great time. Staff attentive and welcoming, hotel really clean and great views all round! Highly recommended
Other trip Apr 18, 2015
HS
"Good but snooty"
Good hotel. However the staff was snooty (and slightly arrogant) at the front desk which put a bad taste in my mouth tight from the beginning. I was charged a considerable sum of money for an extra infant who was with me. When I asked why such a high charge was being levied I was told that it was for the privilege of living in the accommodation and using the hotel facilities. What really got me was that they only let me in after I had paid for the child rather than at the end when checking out. So though the hotel is good and posh I would not go there again.
2 night family trip Apr 7, 2015
Sudhir
"The perfect hotel!"
My experience was a first at the Cliff Bay Hotel and it was just fantastic, the hotel ticks all the boxes. Service, facilities, staff and restaurants were first class but without charging over the top as most 5 star hotels do. They have got their customer service spot on and nothing is too much trouble. Without hesitation I would recommend this hotel
Other trip Apr 9, 2015
Jules
"Excellent hotel with very attentive staff."
Very pleasant stay at the Cliff Bay: very attentive and efficient staff. Great facilities and also close to Funchal. The regular shuttle service makes The journey easy if you don't fancy walking up the steep hill from town. excellent food in each restaurant, especiallying the Michelin Star Gallo d'Oro.
Other trip Apr 5, 2015
"Cliff Bay Hotel"
Still first class overall - breakfasts, buffet dinners, pools, accommodation. Did not use the "starred" restaurant because every time we looked at the menu it just did not inspire. Not the cost, just not exciting. Took our evening meals mainly at outside restaurants. Arranged our own private island taxi trip because the hotel did not use the firm who provided our airport transfers. Felt reception were just a bit "sniffy" about this aspect.
Other trip Apr 3, 2015
Oldies who walk
"a great hotel"
Back to a fabulous hotel in a beautiful setting. Staff as attentive as ever.
7 night family trip Mar 19, 2015
Nigel
"Best of everything 11/10"
This hotel goes way above and beyond expectations. Great location with 25 min walk into Funchal or take the courtesy bus. Fantastic helpful staff and amazing rooms with a view of the sea. Brilliant pool and enough sun laughers and the food is out of this world. Please don't book it yet we need to get next years reservation in first.
Other trip Mar 23, 2015
Joss
Amazing hotel, great facilities, location and views. Perfect spot for our mini moon :) would recommend to anyone
Other trip Mar 21, 2015
Absolutely fantastic. Planning to go back next year.
Other trip Mar 15, 2015
"Luxury hotel in great location"
Stayed in one of the top floor rooms. Great views over the site, pool areas and the sea. Balcony in the sun for most of the day. Choice of restaurants and three bars but only one open in the evening. Five stars but not stuffy and the staff cannot be more helpful. Walk into Funchal and get a Tuk Tuk back!
Other trip Mar 15, 2015
charlie
"Nice hotel, beautiful garden, excellent location"
our room was very spacious, staff friendly but not intrusive.
Other trip Mar 11, 2015