All hotels in San Diego, California, United States of America
2223 El Cajon Blvd, San Diego, CA, 92104, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

Great pool
    Delicious food
    Decent vibe
    Bad internet service
"Not our best stay, but still a favorite stop!"
First Off - We love this place. It is Fun and Nostalgic... and we return often. On this visit however, we found the pool to be less than stellar condition owing to three days of consecutive parties. We actually had planned to lap swim each day. 2 miles, of our visit, but that was not possible dud to the low visibility of the pool. Our room was upgraded with out request when we checked in. We will return - after 6 stays this was the only one that was a bit of a let down, but the staff and normal ambiance will bring us back.
2 night business trip Aug 16, 2015
"Rooms are spacious, but need to be updated"
Very nice large room, but the furniture looks like it belongs at the good will store. Room smelled very moldy & musty.
Other trip Sep 11, 2015
Anita
"Nice hotel close to San Diego Zoo"
Nice hotel with pool and friendly staff. Negative for me was that breakfast was not included in room charge and the Free WLAN was almost not available in the room I booked. It is only available in the lobby and pool and maybe the romms which are close to these locations.
Other trip Sep 9, 2015
Manuel
"NOT a fun hotel stay"
Room wasn't ready at check in. Front desk staff was sub par, motel quality customer service. Same service and quality of food in the restaurant. There were many seniors hanging out there all day as some sort of community center, and then lots of families with very young screaming children. NOT at all the young couples fun pool party getaway they try to portray on their website. It was a HUGE let down to our whole trip, avoided our hotel the entire trip. Won't be back.
3 night romance trip Mar 30, 2015
Gina
"If u can overlook the old dirty carpet, ur golden!"
Overall, we really enjoyed our 3 night stay. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The huge pool was very fun to swim in and the loungers were comfortable. There are only a few reasons why I didn't rate the hotel 5 stars across the board. The first being the carpet in the room was so gross that I wore my flip flops around. It felt very damp in the room, and the carpet felt almost wet and dirty and made our feet turn black. All they need to do is replace the carpet, as the rest of the decor is modern and very clean otherwise. The second reason being the wifi in the room was pretty much a joke. It brought me back to dial up days of the past. We finally went to the lobby to research things and it worked better there, but still a little slow. It also would've been nice to have another chair in the room--there was only one small computer chair. Other than that, it was an excellent value for the money. Parking in the basement garage was very convenient but there's definitely not enough spaces to accommodate all the rooms so get there early to get a spot.
1 night romance trip Sep 3, 2015
Erin
"Look no further"
The Lafayette Hotel is the total package: inviting, fresh, and perfectly merges history and the present. We loved our stay and after the first night decided this would be our "go to" hotel when visiting San Diego. My only advice would be to only book a poolside room during the weekend if you want to party or are fine with that atmosphere. We were in town to visit friends and family and were glad to have a room away from the pool because we wanted a quieter atmosphere. The pool was very busy and everyone was having a great time so if that's what you're looking for I would highly recommend booking poolside. Excellent job to all of the Lafayette staff - we will be back!
3 night romance trip Aug 29, 2015
Gregory
Funky and fun. Wish I'd had more time to enjoy the pool.
1 night family trip Aug 28, 2015
Andrea
"Cool place to stay in SD"
This is classic hotel with old Hollywood theme and big Italian style pool-fun ambiance. We stayed 2 days during the week, so it was pretty calm, but it can also be a wild party time on the weekends, and there were several rooms having a good time all the time. Our room was huge, clean, comfortable, and there was a bar/restaurant in the hotel so you didn't have to go far. Staff was great. Very fun ambiance, an authentic California experience.
2 night romance trip Aug 18, 2015
Kathryn
"Bungalow with pool for family"
I like the bungalow because it was right beside the pool which my grand daughter loved. It was easy for us to watch our grand daughter go swimming while I read right beside the bungalow.
2 night family trip Aug 26, 2015
ralph
"Funky hotel, cool vibe."
Friendly staff, attentive and polite. We ate in the restaurant 4 times, the food was terrific and the service excellent.
2 night business trip Aug 24, 2015
Great amenities. Room could have been a little cleaner.
Other trip Aug 28, 2015
"Great pool party"
Cool place....restaurant/bar service could use some improvement. The pool party was fun. DJ one day and live music the next.
2 night trip with friends Aug 22, 2015
MeriAnn
"Too Much Noise/Too many Parties"
Rented a Pool Side Room, months in advance, for August 13th to August 17th. Thought we were gonna sit outside our room and enjoy the pool. We knew that the Lafayette had "pool parties" as we had stayed a year ago in Suzy Suite with family and, also, had stayed in a Pool Side @ Christmas time; but didn't expect the parties to be as "intense" as they were this time. Didn't expect event attendees to take over the sitting area in the landing of our Pool Side Room doors. Saturday afternoon party the Bass was maxed out, to the extent that Security was using a sound meter through-out the party and speakers were being adjusted to keep decibels within allowed limit. Pool and pool ladders were packed with people partying, not swimming. Too many people. Too much noise. Really shouldn't have to leave your hotel to escape from all of the noise and partying, but that's what we did. I really feel that advising hotel guests to use the pool facilities before and after the parties really defeats the purpose of having a pool side room so that one can enjoy the pool. Especially, when you go out to eat and when you get back, there's a new party (Dive-In Movie this time) in full swing. By 8 p.m. Saturday evening we had had enough of the noise and of the people right outside of our doors, especially when there was another "Special Event" scheduled for Sunday. We checked-out @ 9 p.m. Saturday and drove 8 hours to get home. Obviously, Pool Side Rooms are all about the party on weekends.
Other trip Aug 26, 2015
"In serious need of an update."
When you walk in you immediately notice a musty smell that will remind you of grandma's old house - but not in a good way. The carpet is tattered and dirty - it is kinda gross. The only elevator had a muddy old towel on the floor when we arrived. The rooms are small. The bathroom caulking was peeling and missing in areas. The shower does not have a temperature control valve - so you may get scalded if someone flushes a toilet. We took some glasses of beer back to the room. House keeping just left them on the counter in our room for several days. The coffee maker was not cleaned and had old coffee in it. The walls are paper thin so you can hear everything next door. There is a motorcycle repair shop next door so you get to hear motorcycles coming and going all the time.
Normal Family
"disappointed"
We chose this hotel because they had suites with a separate bedroom for our 3 yo. That part was great. What they do not tell you is that the hotel is all separate buildings and you have to walk and take your key card with you everywhere to get in to the main facility, the pool, etc. The hotel also does not tell you that they rent out the pool, YES RENT OUT THE POOL, to any group that will pay. They rent it out Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Whomever rents it charges admission and they are allowed to do whatever they would like to the pool area. To include blasting music when hotel guests have pool balcony rooms. The hotel also charges $8 a day parking. So needless to say we were VERY disappointed in the hotel and our stay. We will not be staying there again.
Megan
"Very nice and close to north park"
This was my first time staying at this hotel and I loved it! It's an old hotel but there's only minor things that you notice. The water temperature in showers seems to change due to the old pipes? And they have their own private parking which they charge you $8 a day for?! Those were my only two complaints.
Anita
"Great Hotel!"
Great price for a historical location. I would definitely recommend and stay here again.
3 night family trip Aug 18, 2015
Fiorella
"Mixed feelings"
The location of the hotel is great, staff was very friendly and helpful. There was not much opportunity for the hotel guests to use the pool because it is open to the public. The air conditioner was very loud and NEVER got the room cool and it was very hot during our stay. I would stay here again, but probably during winter.
3 night trip with friends Aug 15, 2015
Anne
"good but expensive.."
It was okay. I think the hotel has a long history. But sad that there is no free parking and free breakfast. Little bit expensive for people who just want to stop by and relax. wifi was okay (thank GOD!)
4 night family trip Aug 13, 2015
"San Diego stay."
Great hotel!!!
2 night family trip Aug 17, 2015
Anthony
Our room smelled and the shower would go from warm water to very hot.
1 night romance trip Aug 18, 2015
"Relaxing pool side"
My cousin Chalon recommended this hotel to me. Upon arrival I noticed immediately that this was a nice hotel. I love the decor and the atmosphere of this place. They have great food and good drinks at the bar/restaurant. Now as for the hotel staff, they are amazing. The woman who worked at the front desk was absolutely amazing. Her name is Meme and she is the best!!! She was very well spoken and extremely helpful. I travel often and stay at many hotels and I have yet to meet any hotel staff better than her. Meme told us all about the area, the history of the hotel, and much more. Anytime in the future i return to San Diego i will be staying here and will also recommend this place to all my friends. With staff like Meme there is no reason to stay anywhere else. The Lafayette is very lucky to have such an amazing staff member. Thank you so much for your hospitality and your advice Meme. You awesome!!!! Thank you Lafayette for a amazing stay. I will be back for sure as long as you continue to employee staff like Meme
Other trip Aug 20, 2015
Derick
"Family loved it!"
Front staff was awesome and helpful. Gave us a map of the city and told us good places to take the kids and good places to eat. Room was ready before check in time. The room was clean comfortable and had alot of room. Poolside rooms are definitely worth it! Would recommend this hotel and room and would likely stay there again.
3 night family trip Aug 12, 2015
"It can be a bit noisy here, unless you are lucky."
It was noisy the day we arrived, and the party downstairs didn't end until after 10:00 p.m. We were not given any notice of a large party that was scheduled right below our room before or during our arrival. This was an oversight on the management's part.
4 night family trip Aug 7, 2015
Jeffrey
"Two thumbs up!!"
My stay was better than expected. Hotel was beautiful and the staff were very pleasant. Will definitely be staying here again when I visit San Diego.
1 night family trip Aug 12, 2015
"Fabulous! My only hotel while in San Diego!"
Always my go to hotel when I go to SD I always stay here, LOVE this hotel! The history is really cool, just a neat place to stay. Pool and bar is fun area, great stay for romantic, friends or family, covers all basis. At night when pool is lit up as well as the palm tress, is so beautiful. Only way to go is book room overlooking pool, top or bottom rooms are both fabulous. The restaurant has amazing food, and have live music in evenings. Great location, tons of great places to explore all around. Great price for your money, 5stars for me all the way!
4 night trip with friends Mar 14, 2015
"Nice hotel, nice pool, close to everything."
Room was bigger than expected, clean, and perfect for a short stay.
Other trip Aug 12, 2015
Staff was very friendly and helpful. Location was great. Lots of dining choices in the area. I enjoyed my morning coffee in the lobby area rocking chairs. Easy underground parking. The room configuration was different than a typical hotel.
Other trip Aug 5, 2015
"Clean and Comfortable"
First time for us in San Diego and weren't sure about the location. The building itself is old but well kept and at some point it seems it was a very classy hotel, clean common areas and our room was very clean. We had rented a car so location was fine for us, surroundings seem safe and right across the street there is the bus that takes you to downtown in 20 min. In our three day stay, everyone at the guest service area were very pleasant and willing to help you with directions and things to do. Their restaurant had really good breakfast (not included in our rate) and the pool area was nice. Overall a good stay.
Other trip Aug 2, 2015
Miguel
"Hotel Review"
Good location near the zoo. Clean rooms and quiet. Several dining options near by. No complaints at all.
1 night family trip Jul 30, 2015
Raymond
"Family Vaca"
Family vaca. Stayed in a Suze suite. We were never able to use the pool because it was mostly a "party pool" for the adults. This pool is also open the public. The picture makes it look a lot larger than it really is and it's not. It was very crowded with adults drinking and partying therefore not making it comfortable for us to take our toddler and school age kids to the pool during our family vaca.
3 night family trip Jul 26, 2015
"Comfy bungalow"
This is a super cute hotel close to great food and only 10 minutes away from the Gas Lamp, downtown, and Old Town. The pool is wonderful and we loved the ease of access from our ground floor bungalow room. The drawbacks are that there is not a refrigerator or microwave in the room and the air conditioner unit was so loud it made sleeping uncomfortable. These two problems aside, I'd stay there again in a heartbeat.
4 night business trip Jul 20, 2015
Lauren
We had a great day by the pool. The rooms were older but updated and very clean. The only suggestion would be for a mini fridge in the room but otherwise everything was excellent.
Other trip Jul 29, 2015
"Not the greatest stay"
This is a very old hotel. The room was spacious and comfortable but had a very large wet area of carpet. The wall air conditioner unit was so loud it was hard to hear the TV. It did not feel that family friendly as there was quite a bit of drinking around the pool area and many gay male couples while we were there. Too much public displays of affection for us.
1 night family trip Jul 20, 2015
"Old charm"
Beautiful hotel from gone-by era. We only can imagine the parties and glamour. We got pool side room, and enjoyed it tremendously. The pool was the favorite one by our kid :-)
Anna
"sleepless nights"
hard time sleeping due to traffic got other room air condition kind of loud
Walter
"Very enjoyable stay!"
It was fantastic! It was a pleasant suprise! Will definitely stay here again when in the area and recommend to family & friends. Our kids loved the live DJ at the pool area.
Celeste
The hotel was neat. The kids thought is was right from the board game "Clue". We had great service, and we loved that it was close to the zoo and Balboa Park!
1 night family trip Jun 22, 2015
"Perfect start to our vacation"
It was a very pleasant surprise. We were a little worried after reading some of reviews but our experience was Excellent. Would stay again and would recommend to friends and family. Our kids LOVED the live DJ by the pool.
1 night family trip Jul 13, 2015
Celeste
"Convienint location"
We are a big family (8 pax) we almost walked away because of the room size , till we met MEME who is a very helpful person at front office who went out of her way to change our rooms and did every thing to make our stay a pleasant one
Other trip Jul 13, 2015
M.hafeez
"Old school Hollywood vibe with a twist"
We were just here for the night but wish it had been longer! Beautiful decor throughout - lots of old school Hollywood references/touches. The staff was the friendliest and most accommodating I have ever experienced. Hope restaurant had a great breakfast - French toast to die for and thick yummy bacon.
1 night family trip Jul 7, 2015
Elissa
"Vintage hotel"
The hotel has quite a long history which is evident in the decor of the lobby and ballrooms. That being said, it is an old hotel and the rooms reflect their age. The food was excellent. Be aware that there are pool parties every Saturday and Sunday throughout the summer. There were lots of drunk partiers at the pool and it was very loud. I would certainly have not taken my children to the pool.
Other trip Jul 7, 2015
It's a pretty cool hotel. The rooms are kind of old school so don't expect an automatic toilet. The beds are kind of stuff but it was ove nice. The staff was awesome and patient and it's close to the beach, sea world and the zoo which is why we stayed there. It was about a 10 min drive from there to beach/sea world and like 5 to the zoo. Overall it was good for what we paid for and used for.
2 night family trip Jun 30, 2015
Kristin
"Great Stay!"
Great location - close to many activities (zoo, beach, shopping), delicious local restaurants, etc. The 2BR/1BA bungalow was great for 4, but if you have older kids (teens- like we do) think about going with the 3BR/2BA!! Pool was fun, eclectic mix of guests, nice hotel bar/restaurant for lazy days/eves when you don't want to go very far. Overall great stay, great service, fun times!
4 night family trip Jun 23, 2015
"San Diego"
Good Location, Customer service, and clean updated room.
1 night family trip Jun 28, 2015
"Great hotel with spacious family suite!"
My family of 5 (2 adults & 3 children) booked a one night stay on June 11th for our first night in San Diego. When we checked in, the front desk was was extremely helpful. She noticed our 3 children and upgraded us to the family suite. She even provided colored chalk for the chalkboard in the kids bedroom. What?!? I've never had such great service checking into a room. The hotel lobby was beautiful but the room was a little dated which I really didn't mind. In my opinion, that added to the charm of the hotel. I and will definitely stay at this hotel again in the family suite.
Other trip Jul 1, 2015
Parmy
"Not what I expected"
Thought it would have a vintage vibe, but it was just old.
4 night family trip Jun 25, 2015
Nicole
"Great place to stay."
We chose this hotel because it was very close to the San Diego Zoo, and the USS Midway. When we got to the hotel, we were upgraded to a poolside room, which was very nice. The hotel is older, but that is part of the charm. The rooms were very clean and very well kept. The pool was excellent, and both of my little boys had a great time playing in it. I only have two small complaints. First is no refrigerator in the room, which isn't that big of a deal. The second was that we were charged $8/day to park in the hotel parking lot. Last I checked we were already paying to stay at the hotel, and driving to your hotel is pretty standard. But in the big scheme of things, the extra $24 did not detract from our stay.
3 night family trip Jun 23, 2015
Adam
"Great hotel 5 minutes away from San Diego Zoo!"
We stayed a total of 3 days. If Wi-Fi isn't a problem for you then, you're stay will be perfect. We had trouble since day one...it wouldn't connect. We have an autistic 14 year old that loves to watch Thomas the Tank Engine on YouTube and loves playing with his computer. This made it harder for us. The staff did all they could and even gave us free breakfast (best food ever!!) for our troubles. The room was very nice and clean. The staff of 100% dedicated to making you feel at home. Loved the rest of our stay so much we stayed an extra day!! We'd definitely go back!! Forgot to mention the pool is excellent and the building is beautiful!! Please visit Hope46!! It has the best food EVER and it's in the hotel!!
Other trip Jun 26, 2015
Veronica
"Not for us."
More of a party place not for kids. Loud and to many do's and don't or you'll get charged.
3 night family trip Jun 21, 2015