All hotels in San Diego, California, United States of America

Great pool
    Delicious food
    Decent vibe
    Bad internet service
The Hotel had a very classic feel, the pool was beautiful, however the parking was ridiculous. Although I was a paying guest, I had to pay $8 a night to park there...should have been included in the Room Fees.
2 night family trip Oct 11, 2015
Really old decor and super thin walls. We had to get a phone app with white noise and put it on the highest setting to partially block out the yelling/laughing/partying. Just because of the noise level, we wouldn't stay here in the future.
Other trip Oct 21, 2015
"Convenient, clean and eclectic."
We stayed here for just the night. The staff was extremely friendly and accommodating. Get a room by the pool and you can't go wrong. A short fifteen minute drive to downtown and the airport.
1 night family trip Oct 17, 2015
"Steeelers game trip with Cedario Family"
Staff was very polite and respectful. We were even allowed to check in 2 hours early. That was a plus. I would definitely stay at that hotel again
1 night family trip Oct 12, 2015
Teresa
Just stayed over night to attend a football game at Qualcomm Stadium.
1 night romance trip Oct 12, 2015
"Best Hotel in S.D."
Perfect place to stay in San Diego!! Aimee at the front desk was very helpful and understandable.
1 night trip with friends Oct 12, 2015
"Short trip"
All good overrall , i will definitely stay there again .
1 night trip with friends Oct 12, 2015
Carlos
"Comfortable 3-star hotel stay"
The room was very clean and comfortable. At first we couldn't get internet connection; the front desk (Sidney)helped us with that, and it was working great. The neighborhood was safe although there were many homeless people roaming around (who appeared friendly). The bar area looked kind of messy, and we didn't like (no)service there. Even though, there were only 5 guests, we waited to be acknowledged; eventually we left. Overall, the stay was comfortable. We didn't expect the hotel to be so old.
2 night romance trip Oct 11, 2015
Ivana
"Pleased"
Great hotel...very friendly service
2 night romance trip Oct 11, 2015
Wade
"Good on a Budget"
Upgraded to the 3 bedroom bungalow. Good for the price, but don't expect any extra amenities or anything. Just a basic, clean apartment with plenty of space. The decor is very minimum and a bit weird, kind of Bates Motel. But it works. The only thing I didn't like was that the walls are paper thin. You can hear your neighbors' whole conversation. Not good.
Other trip Oct 14, 2015
"More of an event space than a hotel."
We arrived on a vacation for a celebration of my wife and sons birthday. Our room did not have the "accent" wall described on the web. Nor any other of the updates. We did receive a complimentary fridge because we were traveling with a kid. After the first morning we were told there isn't enough hot water for everyone to shower at the same time???? So we were move to a much larger room which was nice, but still had none of the updates listed on the web. This is a "ok" hotel. Would think twice about staying there with a kid. It's a old hotel with stained sheets and creeky loud rooms. I give it a 2 out of 5
Other trip Oct 10, 2015
"Loved it!"
Beds were comfy and pool was awesome! I guess my review is too short...
Other trip Oct 10, 2015
mandy
"Excellent lodgings"
We moved here from another hotel that was very undesirable. Staff were helpful and friendly. The pool is an awesome feature and the restaurant delivered excellent meals. Has an old world eccentric past which is high lighted throughout. Loved it
1 night family trip Oct 5, 2015
Deonie
Great hotel. Unique with tons of history. The staff was extremely friendly and helpful. Would definitely recommend and atay again!
3 night family trip Oct 3, 2015
"Respite."
Room was for us locals and out of towners to get ready for a wedding, and to stay afterwards. Wonderful place!
2 night family trip Oct 2, 2015
Carolyn
Nice hotel and the staff was great but they allowed locals to buy a $15 day pass for the pool area and we COULD NOT get a seat by the pool until our last day. Very wrong and we would never recommend this hotel because of that.
4 night romance trip Sep 26, 2015
"Unique and fun!"
Built in 1946, they have done an excellent job preserving the motif! Definitely a great choice if you're looking for a hotel that isn't your ordinary Holiday Inn Express. The courtyard & pool area alone make this place part of your vacation, not just a place to sleep & put your stuff! Easy access to downtown & beaches via 163 or I-8. When I return to San Diego, there's only one place I'll stay, and this is it! Fantastic!
Other trip Sep 30, 2015
Chad
Clean, fun pool area and decor . Quiet and simple amenities.
Other trip Sep 30, 2015
"Trip to San Diego"
First, I'd like to commend the hotel front desk staff from being very friendly and very accommodating in person and on the phone. Besides the very good price, we chose Lafayette because it is very close to Seaworld and San Diego Zoo. The hotel entrance and lobby brings in the historic look which is awesome. Room was clean but needs remodeling, especially the bathroom. Although very close to the room, I was not comfortable about the parking which is right next to the street where we are located. I didn't see any security personnel on our side of the complex. The nice thing was it was quiet and did its job for an overnighter given the price. The pool is accessible from our room but we didn't have the chance to go use it. Overall, it was a satisfactory stay.
1 night family trip Sep 24, 2015
Percival
"Best San Diego Hotel"
The best hotel I have stayed in, really a great place! Their pool is wonderful too
2 night romance trip Sep 21, 2015
This hotel has become our go to place to stay. Cool old hotel with style. Will stay here again when we come back, best ambience of any hotel.
1 night romance trip Sep 9, 2015
richard
"Horrible service - disrespectful treatment"
We booked a hotel with one plan in mind and that is to spend Saturday at the pool, the only reason we chose this hotel. To our surprise 4 days before our check in the hotel informed us that the pool will be closed that day for a wedding. That wedding was planed a year in advance and the short notice to us by the hotel staff was unacceptable and they just pretended like they did not know. Multiple tries to reach a customer service manager were useless and everyone pretended like it was a no big deal. I will never go there again.
2 night trip with friends Sep 11, 2015
Dragana
"Not our best stay, but still a favorite stop!"
First Off - We love this place. It is Fun and Nostalgic... and we return often. On this visit however, we found the pool to be less than stellar condition owing to three days of consecutive parties. We actually had planned to lap swim each day. 2 miles, of our visit, but that was not possible dud to the low visibility of the pool. Our room was upgraded with out request when we checked in. We will return - after 6 stays this was the only one that was a bit of a let down, but the staff and normal ambiance will bring us back.
2 night business trip Aug 16, 2015
"Rooms are spacious, but need to be updated"
Very nice large room, but the furniture looks like it belongs at the good will store. Room smelled very moldy & musty.
Other trip Sep 11, 2015
Anita
"Nice hotel close to San Diego Zoo"
Nice hotel with pool and friendly staff. Negative for me was that breakfast was not included in room charge and the Free WLAN was almost not available in the room I booked. It is only available in the lobby and pool and maybe the romms which are close to these locations.
Other trip Sep 9, 2015
Manuel
"NOT a fun hotel stay"
Room wasn't ready at check in. Front desk staff was sub par, motel quality customer service. Same service and quality of food in the restaurant. There were many seniors hanging out there all day as some sort of community center, and then lots of families with very young screaming children. NOT at all the young couples fun pool party getaway they try to portray on their website. It was a HUGE let down to our whole trip, avoided our hotel the entire trip. Won't be back.
3 night romance trip Mar 30, 2015
Gina
"If u can overlook the old dirty carpet, ur golden!"
Overall, we really enjoyed our 3 night stay. The staff were all very friendly and helpful. The huge pool was very fun to swim in and the loungers were comfortable. There are only a few reasons why I didn't rate the hotel 5 stars across the board. The first being the carpet in the room was so gross that I wore my flip flops around. It felt very damp in the room, and the carpet felt almost wet and dirty and made our feet turn black. All they need to do is replace the carpet, as the rest of the decor is modern and very clean otherwise. The second reason being the wifi in the room was pretty much a joke. It brought me back to dial up days of the past. We finally went to the lobby to research things and it worked better there, but still a little slow. It also would've been nice to have another chair in the room--there was only one small computer chair. Other than that, it was an excellent value for the money. Parking in the basement garage was very convenient but there's definitely not enough spaces to accommodate all the rooms so get there early to get a spot.
1 night romance trip Sep 3, 2015
Erin
"Look no further"
The Lafayette Hotel is the total package: inviting, fresh, and perfectly merges history and the present. We loved our stay and after the first night decided this would be our "go to" hotel when visiting San Diego. My only advice would be to only book a poolside room during the weekend if you want to party or are fine with that atmosphere. We were in town to visit friends and family and were glad to have a room away from the pool because we wanted a quieter atmosphere. The pool was very busy and everyone was having a great time so if that's what you're looking for I would highly recommend booking poolside. Excellent job to all of the Lafayette staff - we will be back!
3 night romance trip Aug 29, 2015
Gregory
Funky and fun. Wish I'd had more time to enjoy the pool.
1 night family trip Aug 28, 2015
Andrea
"Cool place to stay in SD"
This is classic hotel with old Hollywood theme and big Italian style pool-fun ambiance. We stayed 2 days during the week, so it was pretty calm, but it can also be a wild party time on the weekends, and there were several rooms having a good time all the time. Our room was huge, clean, comfortable, and there was a bar/restaurant in the hotel so you didn't have to go far. Staff was great. Very fun ambiance, an authentic California experience.
2 night romance trip Aug 18, 2015
Kathryn
"Bungalow with pool for family"
I like the bungalow because it was right beside the pool which my grand daughter loved. It was easy for us to watch our grand daughter go swimming while I read right beside the bungalow.
2 night family trip Aug 26, 2015
ralph
"Funky hotel, cool vibe."
Friendly staff, attentive and polite. We ate in the restaurant 4 times, the food was terrific and the service excellent.
2 night business trip Aug 24, 2015
Great amenities. Room could have been a little cleaner.
Other trip Aug 28, 2015
"Great pool party"
Cool place....restaurant/bar service could use some improvement. The pool party was fun. DJ one day and live music the next.
2 night trip with friends Aug 22, 2015
MeriAnn
"Too Much Noise/Too many Parties"
Rented a Pool Side Room, months in advance, for August 13th to August 17th. Thought we were gonna sit outside our room and enjoy the pool. We knew that the Lafayette had "pool parties" as we had stayed a year ago in Suzy Suite with family and, also, had stayed in a Pool Side @ Christmas time; but didn't expect the parties to be as "intense" as they were this time. Didn't expect event attendees to take over the sitting area in the landing of our Pool Side Room doors. Saturday afternoon party the Bass was maxed out, to the extent that Security was using a sound meter through-out the party and speakers were being adjusted to keep decibels within allowed limit. Pool and pool ladders were packed with people partying, not swimming. Too many people. Too much noise. Really shouldn't have to leave your hotel to escape from all of the noise and partying, but that's what we did. I really feel that advising hotel guests to use the pool facilities before and after the parties really defeats the purpose of having a pool side room so that one can enjoy the pool. Especially, when you go out to eat and when you get back, there's a new party (Dive-In Movie this time) in full swing. By 8 p.m. Saturday evening we had had enough of the noise and of the people right outside of our doors, especially when there was another "Special Event" scheduled for Sunday. We checked-out @ 9 p.m. Saturday and drove 8 hours to get home. Obviously, Pool Side Rooms are all about the party on weekends.
Other trip Aug 26, 2015
"In serious need of an update."
When you walk in you immediately notice a musty smell that will remind you of grandma's old house - but not in a good way. The carpet is tattered and dirty - it is kinda gross. The only elevator had a muddy old towel on the floor when we arrived. The rooms are small. The bathroom caulking was peeling and missing in areas. The shower does not have a temperature control valve - so you may get scalded if someone flushes a toilet. We took some glasses of beer back to the room. House keeping just left them on the counter in our room for several days. The coffee maker was not cleaned and had old coffee in it. The walls are paper thin so you can hear everything next door. There is a motorcycle repair shop next door so you get to hear motorcycles coming and going all the time.
Normal Family
"disappointed"
We chose this hotel because they had suites with a separate bedroom for our 3 yo. That part was great. What they do not tell you is that the hotel is all separate buildings and you have to walk and take your key card with you everywhere to get in to the main facility, the pool, etc. The hotel also does not tell you that they rent out the pool, YES RENT OUT THE POOL, to any group that will pay. They rent it out Friday, Saturday, Sunday and Monday. Whomever rents it charges admission and they are allowed to do whatever they would like to the pool area. To include blasting music when hotel guests have pool balcony rooms. The hotel also charges $8 a day parking. So needless to say we were VERY disappointed in the hotel and our stay. We will not be staying there again.
Megan
"Very nice and close to north park"
This was my first time staying at this hotel and I loved it! It's an old hotel but there's only minor things that you notice. The water temperature in showers seems to change due to the old pipes? And they have their own private parking which they charge you $8 a day for?! Those were my only two complaints.
Anita
"Great Hotel!"
Great price for a historical location. I would definitely recommend and stay here again.
3 night family trip Aug 18, 2015
Fiorella
"Mixed feelings"
The location of the hotel is great, staff was very friendly and helpful. There was not much opportunity for the hotel guests to use the pool because it is open to the public. The air conditioner was very loud and NEVER got the room cool and it was very hot during our stay. I would stay here again, but probably during winter.
3 night trip with friends Aug 15, 2015
Anne
"good but expensive.."
It was okay. I think the hotel has a long history. But sad that there is no free parking and free breakfast. Little bit expensive for people who just want to stop by and relax. wifi was okay (thank GOD!)
4 night family trip Aug 13, 2015
"San Diego stay."
Great hotel!!!
2 night family trip Aug 17, 2015
Anthony
Our room smelled and the shower would go from warm water to very hot.
1 night romance trip Aug 18, 2015
"Relaxing pool side"
My cousin Chalon recommended this hotel to me. Upon arrival I noticed immediately that this was a nice hotel. I love the decor and the atmosphere of this place. They have great food and good drinks at the bar/restaurant. Now as for the hotel staff, they are amazing. The woman who worked at the front desk was absolutely amazing. Her name is Meme and she is the best!!! She was very well spoken and extremely helpful. I travel often and stay at many hotels and I have yet to meet any hotel staff better than her. Meme told us all about the area, the history of the hotel, and much more. Anytime in the future i return to San Diego i will be staying here and will also recommend this place to all my friends. With staff like Meme there is no reason to stay anywhere else. The Lafayette is very lucky to have such an amazing staff member. Thank you so much for your hospitality and your advice Meme. You awesome!!!! Thank you Lafayette for a amazing stay. I will be back for sure as long as you continue to employee staff like Meme
Other trip Aug 20, 2015
Derick
"Family loved it!"
Front staff was awesome and helpful. Gave us a map of the city and told us good places to take the kids and good places to eat. Room was ready before check in time. The room was clean comfortable and had alot of room. Poolside rooms are definitely worth it! Would recommend this hotel and room and would likely stay there again.
3 night family trip Aug 12, 2015
"It can be a bit noisy here, unless you are lucky."
It was noisy the day we arrived, and the party downstairs didn't end until after 10:00 p.m. We were not given any notice of a large party that was scheduled right below our room before or during our arrival. This was an oversight on the management's part.
4 night family trip Aug 7, 2015
Jeffrey
"Two thumbs up!!"
My stay was better than expected. Hotel was beautiful and the staff were very pleasant. Will definitely be staying here again when I visit San Diego.
1 night family trip Aug 12, 2015
"Fabulous! My only hotel while in San Diego!"
Always my go to hotel when I go to SD I always stay here, LOVE this hotel! The history is really cool, just a neat place to stay. Pool and bar is fun area, great stay for romantic, friends or family, covers all basis. At night when pool is lit up as well as the palm tress, is so beautiful. Only way to go is book room overlooking pool, top or bottom rooms are both fabulous. The restaurant has amazing food, and have live music in evenings. Great location, tons of great places to explore all around. Great price for your money, 5stars for me all the way!
4 night trip with friends Mar 14, 2015
"Nice hotel, nice pool, close to everything."
Room was bigger than expected, clean, and perfect for a short stay.
Other trip Aug 12, 2015
Staff was very friendly and helpful. Location was great. Lots of dining choices in the area. I enjoyed my morning coffee in the lobby area rocking chairs. Easy underground parking. The room configuration was different than a typical hotel.
Other trip Aug 5, 2015