All hotels in Cape May, New Jersey, United States of America
You can collect Hotels.com® Rewards nights here501 Beach Avenue, Cape May, NJ, 08204, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Very well situated, right on the ocean"
Really good hotel; we would certainly return. They can accomodate pets!
1 night trip Oct 24, 2013
"great view, close to lots of places we wanted"
Enjoyed it immensely. Didn't realize a full breakfast was included. I'd like to see that extra available as a set amount of money off any meal at the Pub restaurant.
4 night romance trip Oct 17, 2013
"miserable front desk grump"
The elderly grump at the front desk should be forced to take a course in customer relations, or retire! when we checked in at about 1 pm she informed us our room wasn't ready and she would call us on our cell when it was. We went for lunch and decided to check at the desk about our room since we had wanted to change into warmer clothes and take in the sights. Ms. Miserable informed us check in was at 4 pm . We took it on our own to change in the restrooms . She did not offer any explanation she did not direct us to the restrooms or any other areas we could possibility change our clothes in. 8 minutes after we left she called to say our room was ready. She could have checked on the room before we left, and she could have also told us about the breakfast buffet that was included which I found out about on my own when I went for coffee the next morning when the buffet was almost over. Overall the room was just ok for the price considering the off season rate of 200 per night. Looking at the in season rate of 500 a night and Ms. Miserable at the front desk I don't see how anybody would choose this place anytime during the year!
Other trip Oct 20, 2013
fred
"OK Hotel close to the beach and mall"
The hotel appears somewhat quaint, but is really dated. The furniture is uncomfortable and the front door stuck to the point that it had to be opened or closed by pushing one's shoulder into it like a football player. The alarm clock did not work and although the front desk promised a wake-up call, none was ever made.
Other trip Oct 7, 2013
Ed
"Strange experience"
Its hard to say about this hotel. First, we called early for a crib, was told it would be waiting in our room, but we have to pay 50.00 extra dollars for it. Thats a lot ! I thought, but worth the convenience. (Never stayed in a hotel that charged for a crib before) We arrive to the hotel tired at 10:00pm, and was told that there was no crib. They forgot to "order it from their supplier," and that if we can get it at all it will take an hour (an hour with a sleeping baby requires some on the go thinking...we did it). Front desk very rude about situation, like its somehow our fault, even though they had it right there that we ordered the crib. Crib came and two staff members put it together in a very nice and friendly way. The room itself. Strange....nice fixtures in bath a kitchen. recently redone. Old furniture, nothing to complain about. Dirty floors, they did not vacuum even though there is obviously sand from the beach. What makes it strange was that they had all of these staff on hand, like they are some kind of 5 star hotel, but overall maintenance and condition of the hotel is 2 stars. Why not put some of the money for staff into doing some kind of renovation and structural maintenance. Very close to the beach, wonderful view, GREAT beach.
Other trip Sep 3, 2013
"Nice hotel close to the beach."
Great 3-day weekend with my 3 children (15, 12 and 9 years old). Nice outdoor pool. Comfortable beds. Microwave and fridge are nice touch. Every room has an ocean view. Great location. Restaurants, arcade, mini-golf are all easy 1-4 blocks walking distance. Would absolutely stay here again.
Other trip Aug 30, 2013
"Way overdue for a renovation but great location!"
Hotel is like traveling back in time...kinda! Victorian era decor is very tired with worn carpeting and furniture. That said, they do keep the place clean and the location is amazing providing stunning views of the Atlantic. Would not return because it is just not our style.
2 night family trip Aug 19, 2013
The Carvers
"A little disappointing"
The hotel was ideally located and the staff was very polite. A good buffet breakfast was included in the rate and they even had an omelet station. The hotel had a small exercise room which was nice and never crowded. However, the rooms were a bit dingy with poor lighting and they had a musty smell. I've stayed there twice and found this to be the case twice. On the first visit the climate control was central and wonderful so I overlooked the negatives. On this last visit I had individual a/c units in the bedroom and the living room which caused the temperature to fluctuate too much. I wouldn't stay there again.
2 night trip Aug 17, 2013
Cape May Lover
"Nice Beach front Hotel"
It was fabulous,....clean, on the beach, nice staff, delicious breakfasts, close to Washington Mall. Great pool. What more could you ask for? I would recommend this hotel to anyone and certainly plan to return next year for a longer stay.
Other trip Aug 20, 2013
"Making Memories With My Family"
Loved getting up early and having coffee on the balcony. Exploring the beach early in the morning with my grandson and later having a great breakfast at the hotel with my family. Spent hours on the beach during the day, shopping after supper and relaxing. We enjoyed the the Cape May Zoo, Lighthouse and saw a great sunset. We even found our favorite stores near by. We will be planning another stay at this hotel.
Other trip Jul 4, 2013
Nana
"Oops!"
Our stay at this hotel was very nice but as I said in the first review the cost was expensive. We have stayed at other places in Cape May and they were just as nice but less than half the cost.
Other trip Jun 1, 2013
"A Summer Place"
The hotel was lovely and the staff was very helpful. We went during the spring break in April. I guess they were getting ready for the summer because they were painting and doing construction which made it hard to sleep in the morning. The restaurant and bar were closed which was also disappointing. I guess it's really a summer place
Other trip Apr 4, 2013
"You can do better - Low Quality - High Expense"
Hotel was OK. Mediocre at best. Many things in our room didn't work - ceiling fan, tv remote, alarm clock, etc. I didn't spend much time in the room, as we went to Cape May for the atmosphere. It just showed that the staff, while polite, didn't care about providing good service. Walls were paper thin. You hear everything in that goes on in the rooms beside and above you...EVERYTHING. I will go back to Cape May, but I won't stay here again.
1 night romance trip Mar 16, 2013
"Great hotel!"
Staff friendly & helpful. Great accommodations - very happy overall!!
1 night trip Dec 8, 2012
"Time for a facelift!"
Our room was dark and dreary. Beds were ok but it hasn't been updated in 20 years.
Other trip Sep 18, 2012
"Fabulous Beach Vacation"
The hotel is in an excellent location convenient to just about everything that we wanted to take in, from the beach (view of ocean) to the historic sites to dining. Loved it. This was my first trip to Cape May although many years ago my family and I frequented the Wildwood resorts.
Trip with friends Sep 11, 2012
Great location. Easy to get to everything. Hotel is a little run down. It's hard to get to your room if you are on the upper floors. Breakfast buffet is really good. We stayed in a suite which had a nice kitchenette. Rooms don't have many drawers for storage. Overall it was fine - practical.
Other trip Aug 26, 2012
The first person we encountered at the front desk was very brusk and rude. It doesn't cost any more to be courteous. I asked her if our room was ready at one point after the initial contact - and all she said was "Did you get a phone call?" Would it have been any more difficult to say ,"I'm sorry, we're working on it. We'll get back to you soon."? Also the room was much smaller than we were lead to believe. There were 5 of us and were told the room could accommodate us, it's true we fit - but it was very small. If we choose to go to Cape May again - we won't be staying at the Marquis deLafayette.
Trip with friends Aug 18, 2012
Gail
"Can't go wrong with this one"
Great hotel in an outstanding location. Very close proximity to beach, shipping, etc. No need for a car. Pet-friendly rooms on the first floor, so reserve something on an upper floor if you get annoyed by the occasional dog yapping.
Other trip Aug 9, 2012
"Great hotel possibly the best location in Cape May"
Wonderful experience, courteous and helpful staff, room is very clean and well appointed, if a bit on the small side. If not for the "release" you are asked to sign when checking in, I would give it a rating of 5. The "release states that the guest assumes responsibility for " missing items". I asked what sort of missing items and the desk clerk responded, "things like a lamp or a table" Of course I had to ask how in the world would I know if a lamp was missing, and the response was just a nervous laugh!! OK, I signed the silly thing and so far nothing has been charged to my credit card !!!!
Other trip Aug 6, 2012
We ha great time. The view was wonderful. The best part was sitting on our balcony and watching the ocean. We were close to everything.
Romance trip Aug 2, 2012
Charlene
"Overrated Hotel"
Very disappointed with the hotel accommodations - hotel is too expensive and suite is not what I expected. It looks more like a motel room, than a hotel suite. We travel very often and have stayed in hotels just as expensive. But their accommodations match the price they ask for. This hotel's rate are way too expensive. Will not book this hotel again.
Family trip Jul 10, 2012
Bernadette
"Best Fireworks view ever"
Pleasant.
Other trip Jul 8, 2012
Generally, the stay was a good experience. Just a couple of annoyances. The carbon monoxide detector's battery gave up at 3:45 AM the first night we stayed there. The front desk did send someone up right away with a new battery. Expedia and, I believe a brochure, touted a free breakfast every morning but that did not happen. Instead there was a coupon for $2.00 off per person for their breakfast buffet. And lastly the hotel brochure claimed to have beach chairs avaliable but when we inquired about them we were told to rent chairs from a vendor on the beach.
Other trip Jun 25, 2012
"girls weekend"
Nice hotel, not opulent but clean and comfortable. Great location. Nice pool and cabana bar with friendly wait staff. Bring quarters to feed the meters for extra cars, though.
Trip with friends Jun 25, 2012
Red Face
"balcony with oceanview"
The hotel is in an excellent location within walking distance to the main shopping area. The best part was that all the rooms have a private balcony with sitting chairs and a view of the ocean. There was some receipts and things left in the drawers from the previous occupants, but other than that the room was very clean and in good condition. If we go back to Cape Code, we would definately consider staying there again.
Romance trip Jun 24, 2012
Victoria
"Location is not everything."
I was very disappointed with the Marquis De Lafayette Hotel. If there goal is to make guest feel uncomfortable they are doing a great job. The location of the hotel is great but that is certainly not enough for me to ever stay again. The staff would go out of there way not to help you. I stood at the front desk for 10 minutes waiting for one of the two staff members just to acknowledge my presence. When they finally did it was with an eye roll and they were very nasty. I thought it was me until I went back to the front desk and saw them treating the other guest the same way. I think for the price they charge for the little hole in the wall they call a room the least they could do is treat people with respect. There is much more I could say, but I think you get the picture. If you can find other accommodations I suggest that you do.
Other trip Jun 21, 2012
CJ
"Recommended romantic getaway"
Our stay was fine. The accommodations were clean. The bar even gave us milk for our kids babas cause we forgot. The only complaints are; room was cramped, and a little dark albeit the view of the ocean.
Family trip Jun 20, 2012
Jake
"Beautiful View!"
My wife and I stayed at this motel June 12th through the 15th. It is an older hotel with older antique furnishings. We had a 5th floor balcony room with a beautiful view of the beach each day. We swam in the hotel pool twice. It was very clean and well kept. The motel was very quiet. It was before the end of school so that may have had something to do with it. There were a couple small things that could have been better. The tv remote did not work and the air conditioner in the bedroom was very noisy. It took us a night to get use to it. The one thing to be careful of is the continental breakfast deal. On expedia it says a free continental breakfast, but this not the case. The hotel serves a a hot breakfast buffet in their restaurant for $11 and gave a 2 dollar off coupon. If we had know this we would have brought some breakfast food and or budgeted money for breakfast. The motel was centrally located which is great. We were able to walk to all of the shopping areas, restaurants, and the beach. I would recommend the hotel to others as long as you plan on buying breakfast and don't mind it being a little outdated.
Other trip Jun 17, 2012
"Clean & enjoyable"
All reviews re most central location were correct. Even though it's an old hotel the room was above adequate & even my wife was pleased with the cleanliness, says a lot considering a beach resort hotel. View great, close to all beach, shopping & dining things. We only got in our car to visit the Cape May Lighthouse & Sunset beach about 5 miles away.
Other trip Jun 17, 2012
excellent
Other trip Jun 15, 2012
BIG
"Great view, great service, great hotel"
Staff was very friendly and helpful. All was clean and the beachfront view was spectacular from our balcony.
Other trip Jun 13, 2012
"Never stay in this hotel again!!!!!"
We decided to spend 2 nights in a Cape May, so I used hotel.com wesite to help us choose the right one. Unfortunatelly,Marquis De Lafayette Hotel wasn't the best choice ...... At first, we got some Indian women on the phone with the horrible accent and was hard for as to understand what the h.... is she saying!!!!!, the took her more than 15 min to write dawn ower contact information. She informed as that the hotel room(suit) will be on a 6 floor with the breakfast included in a total price... After we arrived, we found out that our room would be on the 2 floor all the way in the corner( with the balcony with no sun all day long), and the breakfast wasnt included in price even though our confirmation paper shows that!!!!!!! The ladies in the front desk weren't proffesionalll at all, just looked dawn at us and didn't offer any type of help in this situation!!!!! We did not even get our room clenaned( room service was included) and when I went dawnstairs to get atleast 2 clean bath towels and roll of toilet paper then, they said:" it is very unusuall that the room was left without cleaning....", no sorry, nothing!!!!!!!! FORGOT TO ADD..... VERY SMELLY!!!! AND NOONE EVEN ASK HOW WAS OUR STAY!!!!! DISASTER!!!!
Other trip Jun 5, 2012
Sylvia
"Very shorey"
I had a one-night stay here with a friend on 6/2/12. The room was very spacious, bright and airy with a nice balcony. All of the rooms are oceanfront and the view is spectacular. There are plenty of shelves in the bedroom and bathroom to put all of your personal items and that is a plus. We had a refrigerator, microwave and coffee maker. The location is perfect, within easy walkin distance to everything. Since we were there for such a short time, we did not use the pool or restaurants (Cape May is full of wonderful restaurants we wanted to visit). One thing: Hotels.com indicated breakfast was included but it was not. I was aware of the potential problem from other reviews. There are plenty of places for breakfast anyway and you to have the ability to make and have breakfast in your room and look at the beautiful ocean. I will come back here again.
Trip with friends Jun 5, 2012
Really enjoyed the Hotel. It is located right where all the activities are.
Other trip May 30, 2012
SB
"Nice hotel to stay in the center of all activities"
Nice hotel to stay in the center of all activities.
Other trip May 29, 2012
Other trip Jun 5, 2012

TripAdvisor reviews for Marquis De Lafayette Hotel

"Easter in Cape May"
05/09/15 QweenBeeachMom East Brunswick, New Jersey
My family and I stayed at the Marquis De Lafayette during Easter weekend. It is a charming condotel overlooking the ocean. The view is amazing, which is a requirement for me staying at the shore. There are some good features of the Marquis. First, the breakfast included is a nice deal. I just didn't know it was included so we brought everything we needed for an Easter morning breakfast. (Kitchenette in the room) . This is not an upscale hotel. My family and I got stuck in the elevator. The beds were lumpy and uncomfortable, the bathroom was adequate and the kitchenette sufficed because we didn't cook. One drawfront was broken. The balcony door didn't lock and because it was windy it howled all night through the cracks. All that aside, the hotel is still somewhere I would stay again. I don't know why but there is a warmth and charm about it. The staff is very friendly and its location can not be beat. Across the street is the beach. About 4 blocks in is Washington Mall. There are alot of dining options within walking distance. There is a fitness facility on site and parking. I gave it a three because this seems to be the norm for beachfront hotels whothout breaking the bank. So go with the mindset that it is a typical beachfront hotel and you will not be disappointed.
"Best view and location"
05/07/15 ontheway2cm wilmington
Stayed on the Marquis sixth floor for Spring Fling weekend. Watched the dolphins, osprey and terns fishing while sipping coffee in the morning from private balcony. Looked at full moon over the water with a glass of wine at night. Two blocks to mall, mystery dinner was across the street, restaurants very close by, ample parking to go to and from lighthouse and distant locations. Love the included full breakfast buffet, had omelet station one day, pancake and waffle station the next, in addition to usual blintzes, sausage, bacon, scrambled eggs, granola, yogurt, fresh fruit, etc. Clean, homey, convenient!
"nice beach"
03/21/15 captart69 White Haven, Pennsylvania
I have stayed at this hotel several times. For the most part this place is ok, It use to be much nicer. the staff is verry good at what they do the rooms need to be updated. Last time I stayed there the wind was realy blowing and the wind came right throu the space under the door about an inch a half, I believe the management need to do some upgrads to the property
"Cold Valinitines"
02/17/15 Jason F Cape May Court House, New Jersey
We stayed the weekend in Feb 14th, 2015, the room appearance was find and it was clean and as long as the wind wasnt blowing, This is not a winter spot!, I worked there as a maintenance manager about 9 years ago and this place was tight, the room we had was totally upgraded but as far as energy efficient goes there money is going right out the door. The Temp was 8 degrees outside and the wind started to blow; gust of wind up to 50 mph, it got very bad and the room became very drafty and upon looking for where the draft was coming from I notices that the door had no weather stripping around it with a one inch gap at the bottom of the door, snow, rain and rock salt were blowing into the room from under the door the room temp dropped down to 58 degrees and we had to revert to ghetto hood tactics and we decided to turn the stove top on at 6 a.m. to knock the chill off the room, the room never got over 69 degrees, we didnt complain! we went to breakfast and checked out, i have video and photos! we wont be back! No comparison to the Boardwalk Plaza Hotel In Delaware just a short ferry ride away! oh; yeah we had to shove towels and pillows under the door to attempt to stop the draft covering it with an area carpet!
"Stay Away"
01/02/15 jtcdc New Jersey Countryside
Came with whole family and booked last minute during the summer. I should have known why everything else was booked and this place had vacancies. The room was very small and shabby. I was like a cheap roadside motel with furniture and decor from the 50's. The pool was again like a cheap motel's. The buffet was in a "bingo hall" type of room. There were multiple uncleaned tables all around. The food was average. The ONLY positive was the proximity to the beach. It is really such a shame with the great location and in a great town that they let this place go to the dogs. Never again for me.
"Room smelled like dampness"
12/30/14 Andrea S
The room had a lovely view of the ocean but had the stink of closed up dampness. Staff provided another room 2 doors down, same stink. I guess the smell is a hazard near the beach in winter, but at those rates, get some damp rid or dehumidifiers! Boo!
"Great off season spot"
12/30/14 Natalie N Auburn, California
My boyfriend and I didn't have a reservation since we didn't know the area so we picked the Marquee based on location when we arrived in Cape May, and it was a most excellent decision. The room was big and clean with a balcony looking at the ocean. It was a little more than we wanted to spend but between the location and a full breakfast being included it was well worth it. The staff was incredibly helpful, friendly and accommodating. It's just a few blocks from the main downtown area so walking to dinner and then along the beach were incredibly easy to do. Check out is at 11 but you can stay parked until 1 so you can explore a little after leaving. All in all top notch!
"pre christmas getaway"
12/06/14 Frank I Totowa, New Jersey
We came for a pre holiday getaway and had a great weekend. Plenty of Christmas activities . The hotel is a great location, walking distance to all the shopping and Congress Hall. The rooms were very clean and the free breakfast was top notch
"Wanted to rate excellant"
11/18/14 disney4life E Bridgewater, Ma.
We stayed at the Marquis in November, off season. We love bed and breakfasts and wanted to return to Cape May. We changed from the B&B to this for something different. 1st of all yes the place is a little bit dated. But the rooms are clean, there are elevators (for the B&B guys that always have to carry the luggage up the stairs). Keith on the front desk always greeted us by name standing up each time. He was great with recommendations. He even warned us that off season some restaurants close early on off season nights when the business is slow. We found that out too. The breakfast buffet was very nice on Sunday morning and Carly was extremely pleasant and helpful. Her attitude and demeanor set the tone for our day! On Monday morning a good amount of the food was not out (again being off season). We were told up front that we could order as much as we wanted from the buffet line and that this would insure freshness and temperature. It did and it was very nice. They provide free parking in their lot to their customers which is really nice though the street parking meters are not in affect after October 31. Still to park right there and not down the street is great. Bed was comfortable. The view of the beach, off season with no crowds is great. 5 minute walk to the shops. We will definitely stay there again. They told us if we return in 3 years we get a 25% discount with no blackout dates. Yes it looks a little dated but a B&B community is surrounded by old houses and buildings it fits in there.
"Excellent location and great breakfast buffet!"
11/16/14 Terry33753 Danbury, Connecticut
My mom, sister and I went to Cape May for the first time in mid-November...not exactly the height of the season for a beach town. We went to check it out and visit a rental agency for a possible house rental in the summer. We couldn't believe how bustling this town was. It didn't have that lonely off-season feel at all!! We just needed a place to stay for one night and were looking for something that was clean, inexpensive and provided a free breakfast. We were definitely satisfied in all areas. This is a multi-floor motel directly across from the ocean. Our room was on the third floor and had a beautiful panoramic view of the beach. Check-in was effortless and the room was spotless. There was shampoo, conditioner, shower gel, moisturizer, a hair dryer, a coffee pot, fridge, and microwave. We had everything we needed. Being November, it was cold and we couldn't increase the heat above 66 degrees. One quick call to the front desk and Frank came to our room and adjusted it. The whole process didn't even take ten minutes. The bed was comfortable with extra pillows and generous comforters. It was quiet, too. I had no difficulty getting a good, sound sleep. The breakfast, which was included, was exceptional. All-you-can-eat buffet of the freshest, most delicious melons and pineapple and even warm apples, blueberries and/or peaches. Eggs benedict, scrambled eggs, roasted potatoes, bacon, ham, creamed beef, bagels, pastries, belgian waffles, yogurt, cereal/granola/raisins... all fresh and delicious. (Yes, among the three of us, we tried everything but the bagels.) Coffee and juice were delivered to the table. We feel we got a good value since we chipped in $45 each for the room. Parking seems to be an issue in general in Cape May, but we were able to park right behind the motel. And there is access to the beach right across the street which was convenient. I liked that there were lots of shops and restaurants within close walking distance. I will be honest and tell you that this is an old motel. While it's charming for that reason, it also feels a little dated and the rooms were small. And it is a motel. We took the elevator up to the third floor and then had to go outside to get to our room. Brrrr. With all the places to stay right in Cape May, we would choose to come back to this motel.