All hotels in Salinas, California, United States of America
You can collect Hotels.com® Rewards nights here131 John Street, Salinas, CA, 93901, United States of America, ‏‎855-239-9481

"Comfy beds"
I thought it was a great hotel if you are traveling and need somewhere to stay.
1 night trip Jun 13, 2014
Lid D
"Accommodating Accommodations"
I have stayed at this Howard Johnson's many times and find it to meet my business class needs. The pricing of rooms is, however, somewhat variable from one stay to the next. Hotel amenities are simple and adequate. This hotel may not be a vaction stay highlight, but for basics, it;s just fine.
2 night business trip Jun 6, 2014
jackerman1
"Memorial Day Stay"
We booked two rooms for one night at this hotel because all other hotels were already booked. The rooms were not clean and they had very bad smell. The towels and bed sheets were dirty. The carpet was sticky and dirty. When we came to eat breakfast at 9am there were no food left. They were out of coffee, hot water, fruits, and all the bagels and breads. When we asked manager if he can bring more food, he said that they don't have any more food left. When we left hotel through the main entrance the manager did not even said thank you or good buy. it was a horrible stay. never stay at this hotel!
Other trip May 27, 2014
"Hotel is okay!"
The hotel it self is small and room size was okay. The room was clean and had a comfortable bed. Location was close to the freeway and close to restaurants.
Other trip May 20, 2014
"All good. Convenient, clean, nice."
Nice place, booked that day, no worries. Walking distance to Main St, would stay there again.
Other trip May 20, 2014
"ok"
Had the Basics Neighborhood is rundown but had no issues during my stay
3 night trip May 12, 2014
"Convenient locAtion"
Clean, convenient location, close to food and freeways.
1 night business trip May 6, 2014
Grilli
"Downtown Salinas will surprise you"
We booked the Howard Johnson to be close to the John Steinbeck Museum. We ended up loving downtown Salinas and this hotel was a good base.
1 night trip May 2, 2014
"OK place"
The hotel was decent for the price. The AC in our room didn't work so I called the front desk. The lady was rude when I told her my situation. She hung up on me while I was talking. She said she was helping a customer. A couple minutes later, she called back and agreed to switch for a room with working AC.
1 night trip May 2, 2014
"Pleasantly surprised!"
Went in with some trepidation but was pleasantly surprised to find a clean and spacious room. Breakfast could use a bit of variety and some fresh milk but this place doesn't deserve the low rating it has. We'll be back next year.
Other trip May 6, 2014
BERG
"Go to place"
We stay here often when we are heading to San Francisco or Napa. Great little stop midway so trip is not overwhelming and so we get a full day in the city or in the valley. Always clean and comfortable, perfect for a night on the road.
1 night trip Apr 24, 2014
"Convenient location"
The hotel room is a bit aged, but I enjoyed my stay there. I slept very well. This was unusual for me to stay in a motel. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was very clean. My only complain was that I heard the car noise from the street, but it was acceptable to me after I turned on the TV. The breakfast was OK. I will stay in this motel again.
1 night trip Apr 26, 2014
Edi do
"Ehhh, OK Hotel"
The room itself was satisfactory, disappointed there was no HBO, only cheap cable. The gentleman at the front desk was not personable at all, in fact we felt he could care less that we were patronizing his hotel.
1 night trip Apr 12, 2014
"Very nice, clean and easy."
This hotel is very convenient to oldtown Salinas, right where we needed to be. Check-in was easy and the room was clean and nicely appointed. There was a fixture issue with the shower that we didn't notice until we were preparing to leave for the day but it just meant that we couldn't adjust the temp from warm (not really a big deal - we told the manager as we were checking out and they made a note to look into it). When we come back to town we'll definitely stay here again.
Other trip Mar 31, 2014
I was just so happy to get away from home. The bed was very comfortable. I loved that there was both a refrigerator and a microwave. I loved the option of staying with my own snacks. I would stay again.
1 night trip Mar 22, 2014
"You get what you pay for"
I was in town for a wedding & this place was the most reasonably priced for the weekend. After a 5 1/2 hour drive from Orange County, we had arrived around 2:30. We went to check in & the not-so-friendly manager said there weren't any rooms ready even though check-in was at 2. After some words, he got us into a room. When we walked in, we noticed the headboard was hanging off the wall, the phone cord to connect the phone line to the wall was snipped & our "non-smoking room" had a nice smoky scent to it. The hotel manager ultimately gave us another room after 20 minutes (a handicap room), which was much better. Very clean room, working phone & the headboard was in tact! Overall, our (second) room was very clean, which is what ultimately matters.
Other trip Mar 24, 2014
"Quiet, clean, and comfortable!"
Great stay. Clean room. Excellent shower head. Comfortable pillows. Only bad thing is that the parking is very limited and I had to park into a residential area. Nothing happened to my car - thank God. The neighborhood is pretty quiet though.
Other trip Mar 24, 2014
"Not Trustworthy"
We recently stayed here and we were told they had cribs on site for our twin one year olds. They did not. They also lock the lobby at 10pm and you don't jhave a way to the eleveator. Also the front desk clerk was very unfriendly. I would not stay there again.
3 night family trip Jan 23, 2014
Niki
The only thing I found was 1 hand towel very stained.
Other trip Jan 28, 2014
"Not so great"
The room was not very clean. It had an unusual odor. Jet tub did not work. We were there 2 nights and the maid never cleaned our room. Towels were not replaced. Staff was not very friendly.
2 night trip Jan 11, 2014
Luz Bacio
"A GREAT PLACE TO STAY!"
Room was very clean, carpets looked new and very clean, window coverings were great, they closed all the way and were light blocking. Bed & pillows (soft and hard pillows) were very comfortable. bedding was all white, The white blanket (comforter) was tucked in between sheets so it so your body wasn't exposed to it (a big plus in today's world!). A desk for your laptop with free wi-fi, a table to relax at, a refrigerator you could use to put your own stuff in (not one filled to the brim with overpriced drinks), a one-cup coffee pot, coffee and additives, a nice big screen TV. All drinking vessels were individually wrapped disposable (no glass glasses to worry about being clean). No extra frills, but sufficient nice towels for everyone. Restaurants and shopping nearby; all in all, a very nice experience.
Other trip Jan 11, 2014
Edna
"Convenient before visiting Monterey Bay aquarium"
I was pleasantly surprised by the hotel's cleanliness and quality after reading some of the other reviews. I would describe the neighborhood as more industrial than dodgy, and it's an easy drive to 101 (to the east) and a collection of fast-food restaurants and grocery stores (to the west). The staff was friendly (the manager let us store our luggage at the office the next day so we wouldn't have to worry about car break-ins during our visit to Monterey) and our room was quiet.
1 night trip Dec 27, 2013
Comfortable bed, but the sheets didn't quit fit it.
1 night trip Dec 1, 2013
J
"Unbelievable"
The gentlemen in the morning is very rude. Specially when I book for a second night he got very upset when I book it thru expedia instead going thru him at the front desk.
Other trip Nov 13, 2013
"Bargain for services"
Worth the price
1 night trip Oct 28, 2013
Convenience. Clean.
1 night family trip Oct 26, 2013
"Good room in a pinch"
We stayed here on our way to san fran. Was a good room...clean enough, bed was comfy. Good shower...
1 night trip Oct 12, 2013
"Clean Rooms!"
We stayed one night on our way to San Francisco with our two young children. Rooms were clean, not grimey like other similar priced motels. Would definitely stay again!
1 night family trip Oct 4, 2013
Nicole W.
"Horrible Customer Sevice"
DO NOT STAY HERE!! Stayed for a wedding and got in late (after 1130 pm). Key did not work to stairs or room and sign on front desk said no one available after 1130 pm. This means no one at front desk OR BY PHONE!!! I was locked out of my room for 45 minutes, while 8 months pregnant and with 2 small children less than 3 years old. Finally reached someone in the front office after 20 calls, and was told that no one picks up the phone after 1130 at night even though the hotel was completely booked. I have never, ever heard of such a ridiculous policy!!! Then she wanted me to walk down to the front desk to get my key! And she would not let tell me the name of the owner or manager so that I could complain. What horrible service! I would never, ever, ever stay here or at any other howard Johnson's if this is how they treat there guests.And this is not to mention the police showdown with a vehicle across the street earlier in the day. Don't even get me started on that!!
1 night trip Oct 4, 2013
MMR
"Good hotel, fair price"
It was easy to check in, the staff was friendly, and the room was clean. I would stay there again.
1 night trip Oct 4, 2013
"Not recommended"
Hotel is in very sketchy neighborhood. The furniture in the room is nice, including the bed, but the carpeted floors seemed dirty and bathroom was very outdated, with dirty walls, corners and slapdash cocking. Not recommended, and overpriced given the condition and neighborhood.
1 night trip Sep 26, 2013
"Better than expected"
Overall a decent place to rest your head ok value for the money.
1 night trip Sep 21, 2013
"Not a great location"
Light over sink wouldn't stay on which was an issue when trying to get ready for someone's wedding but we alerted the office and they were very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and comfy, just not a great location. Salinas just wasn't our style. Thought the room was a bit expensive for the area.
Other trip Sep 23, 2013
"Nice hotel for overnight"
Clean and modern, good bed, pretty quite. Hotel desk clerk knew good places to eat.
Other trip Sep 22, 2013
"Spacious and clean"
I was pleasantly surprised to find this Howard Johnson so well taken care of. The rooms were spacious and had all the amenities with a microwave and a good size refrigerator. The only thing that didn't work was the Jacuzzi tub but because we were there only one night it was not a deterrent to enjoying our stay. The manage was most helpful and courteous. Our morning continental breakfast was very good with bagels, cereal, muffins, juice, coffee. There was ample choices to get our day started included a bowl of fruit of apples and bananas. I'll go back there again since my daughter lives in Salinas and it is conveniently located to all stores, gas stations and restaurants.
1 night trip Sep 16, 2013
"Course of my objective"
It was comfortable and hospitable enough to simplify the course of my objective
Other trip Sep 11, 2013
daniel
Overall the hotel was great even the location. However, my friend thought the pillows smelled.
1 night romance trip Sep 1, 2013
Useded a 3rd party to reserve my room and when i got there the Front desk person told me i had 3 rooms instead of 2. she was slow to get understand things and rude. The room was ok but smelled of mildew. It was like it hadn't been aired out in a while. We just needed a place to crash for the night so it served its purpose.
1 night trip Sep 1, 2013
"Kind Staff"
Hotel room is clean and Staff is kind. We went this hotel with our baby but they just have 2 crib. So if you want to use crib, you must call to the hotel for preparing crib before you arrive. In our case, we did not call before arriving, they could not prepare the crib, but kindly they provided the crib to us after borrowing that from other hotel.
1 night family trip Aug 20, 2013
Myoung
"Our Stay Knight Ramirez 8/27-28/2013"
The Hotel itself was very nice and well kept, the Housekeeping Staff was very friendly. It is within easy distance of the Steinbeck Center and Old Town Salinas. The only complaint I have is the person at the front desk was not very friendly and did not give us any information about the Continental Breakfast. I knew about it from the information posted on Expedia when I booked the room.
Other trip Aug 29, 2013
It was a great place for the price, very clean. Will stay again
2 night trip Aug 22, 2013
"Clean Room and quiet"
The room is super clean and comfortable. No complaints and I would stay here again if i ever make it back to Salinas. I requested a quiet spot on line and the manager put me in the back corner which i complemented him upon my check out.
1 night business trip Aug 12, 2013
TMAC
"Nice, clean, and very specious hotel"
I very much enjoyed the clean and nice room. The hotel was maintained and teh staff was friendly.
Other trip Aug 11, 2013
Good clean room. Nothing fancy, but comfortable.
1 night trip Aug 8, 2013
"Good for an overnight stay"
Used the hotel for an overnight stay. It was okay for this purpose.
1 night trip Aug 6, 2013
"Clean, comfortable, tech-challenged"
Service, cleanliness were excellent, well-maintained; we slept well in the comfortable bed. We wanted to use the data port (wired internet) for Skype with our overseas sons, but it was not operable. Staff offered to move us to another room, but this would have consumed most of the day. Also, although refrigerator & microwave are listed as included, these were not in our room. If these items are important, be sure to call to verify before booking.
2 night romance trip Jul 26, 2013
Warren
"Laguna Seca Motorcycle Races"
The hotel was in very good condition. The beds were very comfortable and the room spacious. Our main issue was our room was on the front of the hotel with constant road noise and very bright.
4 night trip Jul 18, 2013
"Everything good minus parking."
If you're going to ask for all the details on the car we're driving, why not put that information to good use and get rid of all the cars parking there that are NOT hotel guests? So annoying to come back from traveling all day and have to carry a sleeping toddler two blocks to our hotel room. First world problem, definitely.
2 night trip with friends Jul 12, 2013
"Best Rest Ever!"
The beds here are so comfortable, I over slept until 10 AM. I counted 13 plugs in this room and the hotel I stayed in yesterday only had two. Very clean and a restaurant was just a block away. Was pleasently surprised!
Other trip Jul 19, 2013
Elissa
"Would stay here again."
Clean room, not loud for being down-town. Would stay here again.
2 night trip Jul 12, 2013