All hotels in Salinas, California, United States of America
131 John Street, Salinas, CA, 93901, United States of America, ‏‎855-239-9481

"Business stay"
Everything was perfect. Very comfortable room
1 night business trip Sep 30, 2014
Howard
"Satisfactory"
This place was satisfactory for the needs of the visit. It was clean and comfortable. The TV selection was adequate and the amenities were what you would expect from a budget level hotel. Parking was easy, although I am not sure how busy it was. The rooms were quiet except occasional loud cars passing by. Breakfast was decent, more continental style with fruit, pastries, cereal, and one waffle maker. Outlets were plentiful in the room. A downside was that the wifi had a weak signal and was slow. There are xfinity wireless signals that reached so I used that as an alternative.
3 night trip Sep 11, 2014
DC
"Fine for one night"
We needed a place to stay one night close to Monterey. We had been traveling from Oakland and wanted to get closer to the Monterey airport to leave in the morning. This was a great stopping point. Nothing fancy about this place, but it was clean and close to the freeway. Breakfast was ok. Just had yogurt.
1 night trip Aug 23, 2014
Allison
Good hotel and service. Points off only for the strictness of the concierge when 9:30 am rolled around and he cleared out the breakfast nook. Also the sheets and pillows had some stains on them. Other than that it did the job.
3 night trip Aug 15, 2014
"Old Town Salinas"
Close to down-town Salinas and Steinbeck museum. Situated on busy street, but not noisy in the back, at least. Rooms were clean. A motel rather than a hotel. Breakfast was decent. Rates, I think, a bit high for the area. "Kitchen" consisted of a tiny microwave stacked on top of a tiny fridge, in an awkward corner that once was a closet. Faciiity appears to have been recently renovated, but that can't hide that fact that this is an older structure.
1 night trip Aug 8, 2014
Bobby
"Noisy neighborhood but nice hotel"
This was our second stay within a week. The first time we stayed was in the middle of the week, we went with our daughters and we got a room with 2 queen beds. This second time, we got a room with 1 king bed. This room was, understandably, smaller. We noticed a difference right away. The room smelled of cigarette smoke even though the hotel is supposed to be 100% non-smoking. I did notice, the further I walked into the room, the more the smell went away so, maybe it was someone who smoked just outside the door and I'm just really sensitive to the smell. The TV was not a flat screen as the first room we stayed in. The refrigerator, microwave, and coffee maker was nicer in this room than it was in our first room so, it seems they are upgrading certain things in certain rooms. The apt complex directly behind the hotel was having a HUGE party (we stayed on a Saturday night) that started well before we checked in at 5:30pm and went on well into the night; ended about 11pm. included VERY loud music and a DJ. The hotel was in contact with the apt complex management all evening long, kept in contact with us and called the police as soon as the clock turned 10pm so they handled it the only way they could have. For a one-night stay, it's a nice hotel with clean room, comfy beds and nice a breakfast. We would probably stay for longer than one night and we will def stay there the next time we're in town.
1 night romance trip Aug 2, 2014
"Gammelt og slitt"
Glad for å reise videre
1 night trip Jul 25, 2014
Per H
We had a great stay. Excellent service and rooms were very clean.
1 night business trip Jul 30, 2014
Gus
"Nice hotel large room"
We were pleasantly surprised at the size of the room when we first walked in. We had 4 people; 2 adults & 2 teenagers so we got a room with 2 queen beds. The room was very large with a microwave, refrigerator, and coffee maker. It was clean & the beds were comfortable. TV was a flat screen with cable. We did notice that, while the TV was equipped with HD, the service was not HD service but, that was no biggie as we were only staying one night and we were there to see the sights of Monterey, not watch TV! Front desk clerk was very friendly upon check in and printed us a list of local restaurants for dinner as well as gave us his top 4 picks. We walked to a local pizza place that was not on the list but ended up being very good. Beds were very comfy for the night, hotel was quiet which is unusual for a hotel (I usually hear people walking over me all night long and doors slamming, I didn't hear any of that), neighborhood was quiet. Overall a nice, quiet place to stay. Only complaint I will give this place is this: we slept in the next day, breakfast is served until 9:30, my girls went down at 9:31, and they refused to allow them to get anything to eat. Yes we were late but....one minute eh, come on.
1 night family trip Jul 29, 2014
"Not what I expected"
In booking this hotel online, I was a little dismayed with the age and condition of the facility when I arrived. The On-Duty Manager was pleasant and helpful at check-in. The Day Shift Manager at checkout did not even acknowledge me. Very disappointing. Won't be back soon.
Other trip Jul 24, 2014
"Ok"
It was clean and comfortable.
1 night business trip Jul 21, 2014
"Clean and friendly"
Room was clean and large with plenty of light from 3 windows. Staff was friendly. Modest breakfast.
2 night family trip Jul 19, 2014
Theresa
"If you need to save a few bucks"
Ok hotel. Nothing to write home about. Rooms are outside entry similar to most low budget hotels/motels. Ok continental breakfast from 6:30am to 9am. Stay here if you need to save a few bucks and don't need any bells and whistles. Because there are none.
3 night trip Jul 11, 2014
CW
"Large, clean and comfortable room. Good location."
Enjoyed our stay. Room was large and so comfortable. Appreciated the included, light breakfast. Ideal location for both Santa Rosa and Sonoma locations -- wine tasting!
1 night trip Jul 3, 2014
Jancie
very clean room. good service, I will use this hotel in my future trips.
1 night trip Jun 29, 2014
carlos
Rooms were clean but smelled of smoke. Stairway smelt like smoke. Not very friendly service. Location questionable, alarms went off all night. Shower/bathroom fixtures very old and poor water pressure, difficult to rinse soap from hair.
1 night trip Jun 20, 2014
"Comfy beds"
I thought it was a great hotel if you are traveling and need somewhere to stay.
1 night trip Jun 13, 2014
Lid D
"Accommodating Accommodations"
I have stayed at this Howard Johnson's many times and find it to meet my business class needs. The pricing of rooms is, however, somewhat variable from one stay to the next. Hotel amenities are simple and adequate. This hotel may not be a vaction stay highlight, but for basics, it;s just fine.
2 night business trip Jun 6, 2014
jackerman1
"Memorial Day Stay"
We booked two rooms for one night at this hotel because all other hotels were already booked. The rooms were not clean and they had very bad smell. The towels and bed sheets were dirty. The carpet was sticky and dirty. When we came to eat breakfast at 9am there were no food left. They were out of coffee, hot water, fruits, and all the bagels and breads. When we asked manager if he can bring more food, he said that they don't have any more food left. When we left hotel through the main entrance the manager did not even said thank you or good buy. it was a horrible stay. never stay at this hotel!
Other trip May 27, 2014
"Hotel is okay!"
The hotel it self is small and room size was okay. The room was clean and had a comfortable bed. Location was close to the freeway and close to restaurants.
Other trip May 20, 2014
"All good. Convenient, clean, nice."
Nice place, booked that day, no worries. Walking distance to Main St, would stay there again.
Other trip May 20, 2014
"ok"
Had the Basics Neighborhood is rundown but had no issues during my stay
3 night trip May 12, 2014
"Convenient locAtion"
Clean, convenient location, close to food and freeways.
1 night business trip May 6, 2014
Grilli
"Downtown Salinas will surprise you"
We booked the Howard Johnson to be close to the John Steinbeck Museum. We ended up loving downtown Salinas and this hotel was a good base.
1 night trip May 2, 2014
"OK place"
The hotel was decent for the price. The AC in our room didn't work so I called the front desk. The lady was rude when I told her my situation. She hung up on me while I was talking. She said she was helping a customer. A couple minutes later, she called back and agreed to switch for a room with working AC.
1 night trip May 2, 2014
"Pleasantly surprised!"
Went in with some trepidation but was pleasantly surprised to find a clean and spacious room. Breakfast could use a bit of variety and some fresh milk but this place doesn't deserve the low rating it has. We'll be back next year.
Other trip May 6, 2014
BERG
"Go to place"
We stay here often when we are heading to San Francisco or Napa. Great little stop midway so trip is not overwhelming and so we get a full day in the city or in the valley. Always clean and comfortable, perfect for a night on the road.
1 night trip Apr 24, 2014
"Convenient location"
The hotel room is a bit aged, but I enjoyed my stay there. I slept very well. This was unusual for me to stay in a motel. The bed was very comfortable and the bathroom was very clean. My only complain was that I heard the car noise from the street, but it was acceptable to me after I turned on the TV. The breakfast was OK. I will stay in this motel again.
1 night trip Apr 26, 2014
Edi do
"Ehhh, OK Hotel"
The room itself was satisfactory, disappointed there was no HBO, only cheap cable. The gentleman at the front desk was not personable at all, in fact we felt he could care less that we were patronizing his hotel.
1 night trip Apr 12, 2014
"Very nice, clean and easy."
This hotel is very convenient to oldtown Salinas, right where we needed to be. Check-in was easy and the room was clean and nicely appointed. There was a fixture issue with the shower that we didn't notice until we were preparing to leave for the day but it just meant that we couldn't adjust the temp from warm (not really a big deal - we told the manager as we were checking out and they made a note to look into it). When we come back to town we'll definitely stay here again.
Other trip Mar 31, 2014
I was just so happy to get away from home. The bed was very comfortable. I loved that there was both a refrigerator and a microwave. I loved the option of staying with my own snacks. I would stay again.
1 night trip Mar 22, 2014
"You get what you pay for"
I was in town for a wedding & this place was the most reasonably priced for the weekend. After a 5 1/2 hour drive from Orange County, we had arrived around 2:30. We went to check in & the not-so-friendly manager said there weren't any rooms ready even though check-in was at 2. After some words, he got us into a room. When we walked in, we noticed the headboard was hanging off the wall, the phone cord to connect the phone line to the wall was snipped & our "non-smoking room" had a nice smoky scent to it. The hotel manager ultimately gave us another room after 20 minutes (a handicap room), which was much better. Very clean room, working phone & the headboard was in tact! Overall, our (second) room was very clean, which is what ultimately matters.
Other trip Mar 24, 2014
"Quiet, clean, and comfortable!"
Great stay. Clean room. Excellent shower head. Comfortable pillows. Only bad thing is that the parking is very limited and I had to park into a residential area. Nothing happened to my car - thank God. The neighborhood is pretty quiet though.
Other trip Mar 24, 2014
"Not Trustworthy"
We recently stayed here and we were told they had cribs on site for our twin one year olds. They did not. They also lock the lobby at 10pm and you don't jhave a way to the eleveator. Also the front desk clerk was very unfriendly. I would not stay there again.
3 night family trip Jan 23, 2014
Niki
The only thing I found was 1 hand towel very stained.
Other trip Jan 28, 2014
"Not so great"
The room was not very clean. It had an unusual odor. Jet tub did not work. We were there 2 nights and the maid never cleaned our room. Towels were not replaced. Staff was not very friendly.
2 night trip Jan 11, 2014
Luz Bacio
"A GREAT PLACE TO STAY!"
Room was very clean, carpets looked new and very clean, window coverings were great, they closed all the way and were light blocking. Bed & pillows (soft and hard pillows) were very comfortable. bedding was all white, The white blanket (comforter) was tucked in between sheets so it so your body wasn't exposed to it (a big plus in today's world!). A desk for your laptop with free wi-fi, a table to relax at, a refrigerator you could use to put your own stuff in (not one filled to the brim with overpriced drinks), a one-cup coffee pot, coffee and additives, a nice big screen TV. All drinking vessels were individually wrapped disposable (no glass glasses to worry about being clean). No extra frills, but sufficient nice towels for everyone. Restaurants and shopping nearby; all in all, a very nice experience.
Other trip Jan 11, 2014
Edna
"Convenient before visiting Monterey Bay aquarium"
I was pleasantly surprised by the hotel's cleanliness and quality after reading some of the other reviews. I would describe the neighborhood as more industrial than dodgy, and it's an easy drive to 101 (to the east) and a collection of fast-food restaurants and grocery stores (to the west). The staff was friendly (the manager let us store our luggage at the office the next day so we wouldn't have to worry about car break-ins during our visit to Monterey) and our room was quiet.
1 night trip Dec 27, 2013
Comfortable bed, but the sheets didn't quit fit it.
1 night trip Dec 1, 2013
J
"Unbelievable"
The gentlemen in the morning is very rude. Specially when I book for a second night he got very upset when I book it thru expedia instead going thru him at the front desk.
Other trip Nov 13, 2013
"Bargain for services"
Worth the price
1 night trip Oct 28, 2013
Convenience. Clean.
1 night family trip Oct 26, 2013
"Good room in a pinch"
We stayed here on our way to san fran. Was a good room...clean enough, bed was comfy. Good shower...
1 night trip Oct 12, 2013
"Clean Rooms!"
We stayed one night on our way to San Francisco with our two young children. Rooms were clean, not grimey like other similar priced motels. Would definitely stay again!
1 night family trip Oct 4, 2013
Nicole W.
"Horrible Customer Sevice"
DO NOT STAY HERE!! Stayed for a wedding and got in late (after 1130 pm). Key did not work to stairs or room and sign on front desk said no one available after 1130 pm. This means no one at front desk OR BY PHONE!!! I was locked out of my room for 45 minutes, while 8 months pregnant and with 2 small children less than 3 years old. Finally reached someone in the front office after 20 calls, and was told that no one picks up the phone after 1130 at night even though the hotel was completely booked. I have never, ever heard of such a ridiculous policy!!! Then she wanted me to walk down to the front desk to get my key! And she would not let tell me the name of the owner or manager so that I could complain. What horrible service! I would never, ever, ever stay here or at any other howard Johnson's if this is how they treat there guests.And this is not to mention the police showdown with a vehicle across the street earlier in the day. Don't even get me started on that!!
1 night trip Oct 4, 2013
MMR
"Good hotel, fair price"
It was easy to check in, the staff was friendly, and the room was clean. I would stay there again.
1 night trip Oct 4, 2013
"Not recommended"
Hotel is in very sketchy neighborhood. The furniture in the room is nice, including the bed, but the carpeted floors seemed dirty and bathroom was very outdated, with dirty walls, corners and slapdash cocking. Not recommended, and overpriced given the condition and neighborhood.
1 night trip Sep 26, 2013
"Better than expected"
Overall a decent place to rest your head ok value for the money.
1 night trip Sep 21, 2013
"Not a great location"
Light over sink wouldn't stay on which was an issue when trying to get ready for someone's wedding but we alerted the office and they were very friendly and helpful. The room was clean and comfy, just not a great location. Salinas just wasn't our style. Thought the room was a bit expensive for the area.
Other trip Sep 23, 2013
"Nice hotel for overnight"
Clean and modern, good bed, pretty quite. Hotel desk clerk knew good places to eat.
Other trip Sep 22, 2013