All hotels in Monterey, California, United States of America

• Bar
    Bar is awesome
    Bad pool
"What we expected"
The hotel is small with only 44 rooms but very clean. The staff was friendly and carried out all requests for early check in, extra pillows etc. Breakfast was as expected and wine and cheese in the evening was very nice perk. What makes this hotel great is its location. The path for Cannery row is literally across the street and you are shopping within a couple of mins. It is about a 5 to 10 min walk on the path to the aquarium and if you take the path in the other direction from the hotel fisherman's wharf is about a 15 to 20 min walk. The hotels free parking is located right under the hotel, and we didn't need to drive anywhere once parked. Everything was within walking distance.
Other trip Mar 12, 2015
"Nice but not fancy"
Nice but not fancy hotel . You are getting a great location .
Other trip Mar 9, 2015
great location
The hotel is in a great location. Room was really clean and spacious with a great view. Staff was very helpful and their breakfast was surprisingly good.
Other trip Mar 3, 2015
We loved the room. It's in a great location close to everything. The room was large and clean. Hotel staff was very friendly. The wine and cheese in the afternoon was a great snack. Nothing special but agreat snack. Breakfast was better tha just fruit and muffins but again nothing special.
Other trip Feb 28, 2015
family
"nice hotel in great location!"
A very nice hotel in a GREAT location of Cannery Row, at a reasonable rate.
Other trip Jan 27, 2015
Trudy
"Location location"
We enjoyed our stay at this hotel. Excellent location and convenience to Cannery Row activities, we walked everywhere. I was also impressed with the continental breakfast. It seemed nicer to me than most complimentary breakfast spreads. I took an on-the-go oatmeal container with me and it was clutch later on during the trip. The room was clean as well, and the staff was friendly.
1 night romance trip Jan 19, 2015
Lindsay
"A Trip to Monterey! Worth Staying"
Hotel was great. We were set up in a first floor room. The room and bathroom was very clean. The hotel staff was very helpful. Provided a good wine and cheese "hour" with a guest winery hosting a wine tasting. Continental breakfast was standard - very decent. The only issue that we experienced was paper thin walls/ceiling? Perhaps it was due to us staying over New Years but could hear stomping, running around, people running up and down the stairs all night. Otherwise would recommend this hotel and plan to return here the next time we are in Monterey.
2 night romance trip Dec 30, 2014
Troy
Good for cannery row sightseeing. Room is clean. Breakfast is enough for us.
Other trip Dec 30, 2014
"Stayed 12/24/14"
The breakfadt buffet is a joke. It is more of a kitchen countertop, no vareity or good quality ingredients. The room was clean and spacious, but the AC unit was so loud that I could barely sleep. I could also hear the water pumps/ pipes from the other rooms whenever someone turned their water on. It is definitely a waste of money.
Other trip Dec 26, 2014
Raghda
"Close to aquarium"
Expedia is trying to block bad reviews for this facility. This facility is poorly constructed and terrible. Breakfast wasn't good either, parking was horrible, elevator seemed like it would fall apart. Disabled and stroller access is missing.
Other trip Nov 29, 2014
sunlee
"Old construction, but close to aquarium"
Really old construction. Could hear all conversations around and from above. Parking is free, but the structure was really small and awkward. Doesn't seem to have disabled or stroller access to the rooms. The stairs seemed to go right through the building, so not sure how the folks on the top floor would be evacuated in case of a fire. The air conditioner was a few feet away from the beds, and didn't work well. Located at walking distance from the aquarium. There is a Subway restaurant and Cannery row restaurants nearby. Room was clean inspite of its old construction.
Other trip Nov 27, 2014
sunlee
"Short walk to town centre. Good breakfast choice."
Sanjay checked us in & out and was really helpful answering any questions we had. Room was comfortable and in a good position. Good value for money.
Other trip Nov 23, 2014
"Close to everything.... Free parking...."
Hotel is close to ocean but has very limited view rooms. Staff is great, parking is free and easy. Most rooms have additional stair case after elevator.
2 night family trip Nov 18, 2014
"Walking distance"
The hotel was in good condition. I would have stayed closer but the overall price was decent. We enjoyed walking to cannery row and to the wharf. Not much of a view but we were guaranteed the room we purchased for the two nights we stayed.
Christina
"Nice hotel in a great location"
This was my second stay at this Holiday Inn Express. When my wife and I travel, we don't spend much time at our hotel, so all we want is a clean, comfortable and quiet room. This HIX fit the bill. Breakfast was included in the price and free parking and wifi were a plus. I would stay here again on my next visit to Monterey.
"Good enough"
There isn't anything spectacular about this hotel. If you are looking for a comfortable bed in a good location then this will do. The breakfast was pretty good as far as continental breakfasts go. We were able to walk everywhere (including the aquarium) which was convenient as well. Free parking and wifi are great perks, but we did not utilize the wifi. We heard a lot of noise from the ice dispenser at all hours of the night but that isn't the hotel's fault. Who gets ice at 4am? We also heard the guests upstairs walking around. I was surprised that the hotel didn't have central heating and air, but instead had a small window unit that was quite noisy.
small family
"Quick getaway to Aquarium"
Very clean...nice staff...good value.
1 night family trip Nov 16, 2014
"Great location, nice hotel"
Great location, right next to Cannery row, short walks to the aquarium and to the wharf. Their breakfast had pancakes, eggs, and sausage/bacon and was actually pretty good for an included breakfast. Our room had a little view of the ocean and we could hear the seals. Overall, pretty decent for a Holiday Inn Express.
6 night family trip Nov 4, 2014
We stayed at this hotel for one night on our way to another destination. Got a special last minute rate. The hotel is in a great location, but I would not stay here if I had to pay the standard rate. It is an older hotel definitely showing its age. No bells and whistles. Just a place to sleep within walking distance to Cannery Row and the wharf. I would personally rather stay at a nicer place a little further away, if one of the nicer hotels on the water aren't in the budget.
1 night romance trip Nov 14, 2014
"Still just a Hiloday Inn - can NOT be over 3 1/2"
I don't know where the other reviewers normally stay, but it must be pretty bad. I chose this place, reluctantly, based on the excellent rating score. I should have known, it's still just a Holiday Inn. Hard mattress, noisy doors the neighbors like to slam, scratchy towels, odd sink and setup in the bathroom, oh, and the REALLY busy road the windows in the room were facing. Very noisy and hard to nap in the late afternoon. The breakfast, included for 2 at $20 extra, was just ok not great. Look the place is not horrible, it was clean enough, but very basic. A 3-3 1/2 tops.
1 night romance trip Nov 4, 2014
"Great Location for a good price on Cannery Row"
Great location and a very short, yet picturesque walk to Cannery Row and the pubs/restaurants and shops.
1 night trip with friends Oct 17, 2014
Julito
"Nice room! Great location!"
Was the perfect place to be able to walk everywhere on Cannery Row! Loved the room! Newer decor, super clean and fitted sheets!!! The only downside was the loud door closings and the heavy stomping sounding walking but it was very short lived and I slept very well! Would stay here again and again!
2 night trip with friends Oct 12, 2014
Other than the beds being rather uncomfortable and doubles instead of queens, this is a fairly nice hotel. Worth 225 a night? Maybe not...but the close proximity is convenient and serves well to see the local sights without a car.
Other trip Oct 6, 2014
"Convenient to all Monterey Attractions"
We were given one of the handicapped-accessible rooms and found it very nice. Good wide doors and even a button you could push from outside the door to get assistance. Breakfast was among the best we've seen at Holiday Inn Express and evening wine and cheese was good. Pleasant staff even recommended good restaurants away from "tourist" sites. Easy access to 17 mile drive and Pebble Beach. Definitely will stay there again.
3 night trip Sep 25, 2014
Detrows
"great central location"
This hotel served its purpose. It was right on cannery row, next to the bike path, close to bike rental shop, several good restaurants. Someone in our party had a bed that was soaking wet (from water we think, not urine) and they changed the room the next day with no problem. However it was a little disturbing to see they filled the room with another unsuspecting couple that afternoon...Noise (which we had read was a problem) wasn't too bad although you could hear kids clomping up and down the stairs...but at night it was quiet. The only other thing (which other people had problems with) is that there was no way to get from the elevator to the room with out encountering stairs so if you were in a wheelchair or otherwise incapacitated, this hotel might be a problem. Otherwise we enjoyed out stay.
2 night trip Sep 26, 2014
peggo13
The hotel was easy to find and is within a short walking distance to Cannery Row. The beds were comfortable, the free breakfast was great, as were the parking facilities and staff. Great stay!!
Other trip Sep 27, 2014
"Great Little Place"
This is a perfect location! We needed to be within walking distance to everything on the water front since we were traveling on our motorcycle. We were able to walk to the wharf, Cannery Row, aquarium, restaurants,& shops. Parking is included and we parked in the underground garage. The Inn has a great breakfast bar, also included. Wine & cheese in the late afternoon too! We will stay here again.
2 night trip Sep 23, 2014
"A block from Cannery Row."
Very nice, clean and great location, attended a wedding across the street at the Plaza, where the price was out of range. The is a family friendly hotel.
Other trip Sep 21, 2014
Russ
"Nice location, comfortable bed."
The room was comfortable and well maintained and clean. The staff was courteous. The breakfast was OK, but not special and the wine and cheese in the afternoon was well, less than stellar with cheap wine and plain cheese cut in squares. But I am not complaining too much about that. The location was very good with everything within a short walk. Underground parking was handy and safe.
Other trip Sep 20, 2014
Floyd
"Loved it"
This hotel was super cozy and had a great location. Even served wine and cheese for free.
1 night romance trip Aug 24, 2014
Linn
Nice place. Older building but renovated nicely. Staff were great. Proximity to beach, aquarium, and cannery row was great. We were able to leave the car at the hotel all weekend and walk everywhere.
Other trip Aug 11, 2014
chris
"Difficult"
We are in our 60s and found the hotel very hard to manoeuvre with luggage. Too many stairs. Great location and very friendly staff.
Other trip Jul 24, 2014
"The WORST layout of any hotel I have ever stayed!"
When you exit the elevator you have to descend steep steps? Then climb steep steps to get back to the elevator level...your room! It's just stupid. I want my money back! Also, it's NOT on Cannery Row!
Other trip Jul 15, 2014
Dissapponited
"Short walk to aquarium"
Full breakfast was good and the room was clean and comfortable. It was a short walk to cannery row stores and restaurants. Parking was free (we arrived before checkin and were allowed to leave our car in their lot). Friendly service.
1 night romance trip Jul 10, 2014
"Nice but slippery showers"
We were satisfied with the cleanliness and location. It was very loud, you could hear every door slam shut. The soap was the only thing I did not care for. It was very hard to wash off and became very slippery in shower. I even slipped, left a bruise and thought I hurt sometimes but I was able to walk it off.
1 night family trip Jul 6, 2014
elly
"Stayed for one night on the way down the coast."
Very nice hotel. Room was big enough for a family of 6. Breakfast was very good with several options.
Other trip Jul 5, 2014
james
"Just Ok"
The hotel is not very nice. It's location is perfect for a quick walk to the Aquarium and Cannery Row. Staff was nice. The room was very bland and the breakfast was just ok. I thought since it was a Holiday Inn, it would have more to it, but guess not in Monterey. I paid for 2 nights for this place and was pretty disappointed. ALSO, there was no elevator to our room (we stayed on the first floor - but half the rooms were up 8 steps), we had a double stroller and 2 young kids! Pain to carry it up and down every time we left our room.
2 night trip Jun 29, 2014
Disappointed
Location was great to walk through town to the Wharf. Good breakfast, helpful staff, 2 queens and pull out sofa worked well for 4 because room was large.
1 night trip Jun 24, 2014
Leslie
"excellent location. walking distance to everything"
check in and out were a breeze. never had it so easy. booking with expedia made it a pleasure
Other trip Jun 25, 2014
matt
"Close to Aquarium"
The hotel room was clean, spacious, great view, quiet. The staff was professional and friendly. When a request was made the staff were very prompt.
Other trip Jun 24, 2014
Lori
"Excellent (seriously), but one issue"
This is a nice clean hotel in an excellent location. We were able to walk down to the warf and aquarium, and also up into the local main street where there are a lot of great local's restaurants. The hotel had parking and we just left our car. The wine and cheese service was a nice surprise and the breakfast was pretty good. As for the "issue," the walls are not insulated. You can hear things in other rooms. We got the room right next to the service desk on the first floor. The lobby restroom is exactly next to where you head is trying to fall asleep. You can hear the toilet paper rolling. Fortunately, the front desk clerk locked the restroom door upon my complaint-- obviously I was not the first to complain.
1 night family trip Jun 10, 2014
"Great Location!"
First off I would like to say, the hotel staff or very friendly!My family and I stayed there for 2 nights and the first day we arrived we went straight to The Aquarium at about 11:00 am because hotel check in wasn't until 3:00 pm so after the 4 hour visit we arrived at our hotel to check in and the hotel employee explained to us that we could have checked in early and saved on a purchase of 2 day Aquarium tickets for the price of 1 and the hotel offers free parking so that would have saved us $15.00.What a steal...Oh well next time we know. I'm writing this review because I want people to know what I didn't and so you can get a good deal:) Also have to say that the hotel offers free breakfast. I thought it was just going to be cereal and fruit but it was the works, pancakes,eggs,bacon,oatmeal.toast,bagels,muffins,fruit,raisin bread,yogurt,juice,milk,coffee...It was pretty good for being free can't complain!
Other trip Jun 13, 2014
"walk to most things."
This was a stop between our drive from L.A. to San Francisco. Hotel was very clean, breakfast was great. I loved the arrangement of the rooms with the courtyard in the middle. No pool, but we were there was so much to do we probably would not have used it. The price was a bit more than we intended to pay, but we enjoyed our stay. Parking was easy.
2 night trip May 26, 2014
RobbieG
"Awesome!"
I was so impressed by my stay at HIE Cannery Row, that this will be my first choice when coming to Monterey/Cannery Row area.
1 night trip May 24, 2014
Debbie bickford
"Great hotel in heart of Cannery Row"
Hotel has an excellent location at the Southeast end of Cannery Row. A 15min walk to the Monterey Bay Aquarium, tons of great dinning nearby. Would stay here again.
Other trip May 27, 2014
"Very Pleasant Stay"
Great front desk staff, very friendly and helpful. Nice locate in Monterey Bay - just a short walk to Cannery Row.
1 night trip May 1, 2014
Ed
"Best option..."
We stayed off-season and mid-week but the price was perfect and the location was ideal. Significantly less than the more upscale options on the Row but just as close and convenient to the restaurants and shops. The staff were friendly, the facilities were clean and well maintained, the parking was ample and free. This is, in my opinion, THE place to stay if you're looking to be by Cannary Row. Save the money otherwise spent at the Intercontinental or Plaza and enjoy some wine tasting or dinner at the Lodge in Pebble Beach.
2 night trip May 12, 2014
Adam
"Great location, friendly, comfortable"
Especially loved how great the location was - easy walk to everything & right near an antique mall to boot. Very pleased - would definitely stay again.
Other trip Apr 29, 2014
"Nice hotel close to beach and cannery Row."
Nice hotel close to beach and cannery Row. Beautifully remodeled room. Perfect!
Other trip Apr 21, 2014
M&M
"Great family friendly"
We only stayed one night as we passed through, but I'm making plans to stay longer, this was a cute little hotel with nice clean rooms. We especially liked the free breakfast! A+
1 night business trip Apr 3, 2014