All hotels in San Francisco, California, United States of America
1800 Sutter St, San Francisco, CA, 94115, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

"Quick overnight stay with the kids"
Overall a good value. NIce location with easy parking relative to the rest of the city. Unique decor, pleasant staff, nice rooms. Be aware that the staff has no idea what the Expedia VIP+ program is and if the hotel is a participant in the program despite what it says on the Expedia website. So, don't base your decision on that factor. I was eventually told that we had been upgraded, but in reality there was no upgrade.
Other trip Dec 27, 2014
"Japantown access"
Convenient location next to Japantown shops an restaurants. Afternoon wine hour is a nice touch.
Response by The Kimpton Buchanan
Thanks, traveler! We are pretty thrilled to be settling into this very "local seeming" neighborhood with plenty to do but very few tourists. Not that we don't love tourists, but you get the idea -- it's fun to fly under the radar!
4 night trip with friends Dec 18, 2014
"Daijobui!"
My wife and I, between the two of us, have stayed in innumerable hotels in the US, Japan, China, Hong Kong, Malaysia, Thailand, Laos, Germany, Austria, France, Italy, former Yugoslavia, Czech Republic, Belgium, Crete, Greece, etc. San Francisco is one of the worst cities on the planet for a cost to benefit ratio in hotels. They are expensive, odiferous, in poor neighborhoods and generally repugnant. This hotel is cheerful, interesting, clean, and most important, the rooms are large. That last item alone makes Tomo unusual in SF.
Response by The Kimpton Buchanan
Thank you, Ilana! We are proud to see that we stood out from the crowd of hotels here in San Francisco, and you appreciated the value of these very large rooms. Many of ours are probably double the size of 'petite" rooms found in so many other areas of SF. It is also nice to be in a residential area with boutiques, shops, and restaurants, isn't it? I like to explain the hotel as nestled between Japantown and Pac Heights but just a quick bus/cab ride or flat walk to Union Square.
2 night family trip Dec 20, 2014
Ilana
overnight stay after company xmas party, very nice room... altough I paid for king bed and we got a queen... we were so tired didn't have desire to complain with front desk... also paid extra $35 for parking, without notice, which was fine considering it was san francisco and late at night. overall we did have a good experience and would come back.
Other trip Dec 21, 2014
Grigori
"Minor details matter"
Great location for us and we appreciated the cocktail hour.Biggest complaint would be minor details- hooks off the wall in the bathroom, no bath mat, phone ringing at 2:00 am, etc.
3 night family trip Dec 15, 2014
ellen
"Hotel convenient to UCSF Mt Zion"
New ownership, switch from Joie de Vivre to Kimpton Hotel brought a few changes; new staff at reception and reservations so when I made reservations and arrived, I felt like I was in a strange hotel; 2) parking on premises went up from $19 to $45, although parking at Japan Center garage remains approx $20; staff is responsive, helpful; room appears to have been renovated but portable lamp switches did not work--required plugging or unplugging cord to/from wall socket;; toilet paper could be placed more conveniently. Yes, I would return if discounted rate under $175 was available.
Other trip Dec 5, 2014
regular guest
"Cute Hotel"
Customer service was awesome! Clean hotel and close to everything.
Response by The Kimpton Buchanan
Thanks, Audrey! I know cleanliness is a top priority for me when I travel, too. Hope you got to stroll Japantown and Fillmore Street/Pac Heights area. Tip: secret back patio at Roostertail restaurant a block away. The best on a warm winter's day!
1 night romance trip Nov 28, 2014
Audrey
"Nice hotel in the middle of Japantown"
Nothing special but very nice and clean hotel. Pet friendly. Streets around could be a little bit noisy (especially in weekdays). Beds are nice and firm. One thing I didn't like - had to pay for hotel parking :( . In overall I had excellent stay.
Other trip Nov 30, 2014
"Great hotel in the center of the city"
This hotel turned out to be exactly what I was looking for. The decor was minimalist but colorful. The room was spotless and spacious. But the most impressive feature was the staff. They helped me with everything from early check in to change for the bus to restaurant suggestions and directions. I have already recommended the hotel to many people.
Other trip Nov 30, 2014
"Good one-night stay"
It was good overall. I'd stayed at another Kimpton hotel recently, and it was nice to see some of the similar touches--the red bikes, the wine happy hour and the flavored water. The signs remind me of Tokyo hotels. The bed was comfortable, though it rests on a platform, which makes noise when you shift. We unfortunately had cigarette smoke coming through the vents into our room right before bedtime. When we called, they said they couldn't tell where it was coming from, but they changed our room rate away and gave us a slight upgrade.
1 night romance trip Nov 23, 2014
"SF... we will be back!"
Short but sweet.
2 night family trip Nov 21, 2014
RowenaP
"Worst hotel experience ever! Terrible service..."
I was extremely upset at the service I received from the hotel staff.. On the hotels.com room page the included options for my room said extra cots are available as a line item.. The hitel staff would not bring me a cot saying they arent allowed to and that it must be a mistake on hotels.com's web site. I had to sleep on the floor because of this and for paying $300 for one night in a hotel you think they could have just givin us a cot. They were extremely rude. I also asked for extra blankets to be sent to my room and he said they would be right up. I waited 30minutes and still nobody showed up. So I called back and he said he would take them up right away. Waited another 10 minutes (it was now 12am) still he never showed up so I had to walk down to front counter and grab them myself. Also had to park 5 blocks away at a different hotel because they were out of parking. I couldnt believe how terrible of a hotel experience it was.. And i partially blame hotels.com for not accuratly describing the room's features.
Response by The Kimpton Buchanan
Hi, Spencer, I think the issue may be that while we are allowed (under fire code) to place a children's cot (aka crib or "pay & play") in all rooms, we are not permitted to place a full-size rollaway bed into any rooms that already have two queen beds. I see that we have some work to do in terms of refining the communication through our Hotels.com partner, and improving communication at the front desk as well. I will make sure they are speedier with following up on that pillow request next time -- thank you!
1 night trip with friends Oct 24, 2014
Spencer
"2 nights at the Hotel Tomo."
The room was nice, but the design and atmosphere of the reception area seemed a little odd, compared to other Kimpton hotels. Because it was raining, I chose to eat in the hotel restaurant with a friend, but it was extremely noisy. The food was all right, but the atmosphere was a bit depressing.
Other trip Nov 24, 2014
"terrible customer service, freezing room"
The hotel was disappointing. Customer service was terrible. We requested toothbrushes and a phone charger from the front desk because those items are specifically listed on their Kimpton list of items they provide. Not only did they not have a phone charger, they then proceeded to argue with my boyfriend that just because it's listed as an available item doesn't mean they provide it. We were shocked at their response. The other thing that really dampened our stay was the room temperature - freezing. We will not be staying here again. For the rate they charge, we'd much rather stay at Le Meridien or the W Hotel. Oh and I forgot to mention, no room service / in room dining. Nada.
Response by The Kimpton Buchanan
Oh no! I can see we missed the mark here. I will follow up with the front desk team and I would be happy to look into the temperature issues as well. Did you report it to the front desk? I want to make sure we get the room number and follow-up right away. Thank you!
1 night romance trip Nov 21, 2014
"Very comfortable bed and great shower"
We had a very positive experience. The hotel is in an offbeat location but charming.
professional
Clean, professional staff, good water pressure in the shower. The only thing I didn't like as much was the restaurant - I felt like I was eating at a Denny's.
"Great location and service"
I had a great time at this hotel. They have a wine hour which was a blast and the manager provided excellent service. Also, the restaurants across the street are really great and have high quality food.
Cynthia
"Didn't love it."
Lobby and theme fits the "boutique" category, toiletries one of my favorite lines, but the bathroom was pretty lame. Beds comfy, all clean, and they upgraded us to a room with a balcony at no cost. Neighborhood quiet and we walked all over the city from here. I'd stay here again if I got a deal for less than $125 or so. (Shuttle to/from airport $16/person).
2 night romance trip Nov 14, 2014
LORI
"Japantown"
Stayed on the 8th floor great view of San Francisco and could see the planes passing by. Would recommend if you are in the city. Parking in the hotel is not that great follow advice from other reviews. I got lucky and found parking inside the hotel parking garage but very tiny spot.
1 night romance trip Nov 14, 2014
"Fun Hotel"
Fun décor; information about the hotel and local area in the room would have been helpful (I knew about the hotel from the website and I knew about the area because I had lived in San Francisco);
1 night trip with friends Nov 11, 2014
Helen
"Nice and clean, but not overwhelming"
Nothing spectacular, but a well kept hotel in a convenient neighborhood.
2 night trip Nov 8, 2014
"Enjoyed location in JapanTown, the food, the quiet"
We liked the closeness to the bus lines, downtown, the beach, the park. The Tomo is small, quiet, pleasant staff, cleanness. We were there 10 days and it felt ilk,e home after a while. it isn't fancy, but that doesn't bother us
Other trip Oct 27, 2014
Harry
"Needs a refresh..."
OK, but the restaurant was pretty smelly at breakfast time. Might be the courses of shabu-shabu served at dinner, but it was unpleasant. The gym was disappointing for the hotel rate. Not much there. Doubt I would stay there again if it were my choice.
3 night business trip Oct 20, 2014
The location in J town is great. The traditional Japanese breakfast available at Mum, and the cute coffee counter at Benkyodo across the street, are two things I'd come back for!
Other trip Oct 24, 2014
"Original decor, a class act"
I booked this hotel because our family was going to Fleet Week in SF. The hotels we choose are usually boutique, cozy, with charm. I wanted to book a fun hotel that was more focussed on what my boys really love, gaming. This hotel was boutique, cozy, and brought a different charm to our usual choice. The way the anime was displayed, and the influence throughout the hotel was done very tastefully. Clean, very polite hotel staff with excellent meal/dinner suggestions. Dinner suggestions at other hotels (we've stayed), seem to be a reflection of whatever is the trendy tourist spot at the moment, as opposed to where the staff truly likes to have a great meal themselves. A wonderful stay. We've already recommended this hotel to friends and family.
Other trip Oct 16, 2014
The Burke's
"Cute, funky Japantown hotel"
Hotel decor was fun and funky. Room was clean, comfortable and fairly spacious for a San Francisco hotel room. (I used to work for a SF hotel management company and know first hand how tiny rooms can be there.) Hotel provides forgotten items like deodorant, razors even a hair straightener (!) for no additional charge. Also provided a yoga mat on the room which was a nice perk for me. I thoroughly enjoyed the Keurig coffee maker each morning. The hotel is in a great location, two blocks from Fillmore, which offers lots of shopping and dining and drinking options.
Other trip Oct 16, 2014
Dee
"Nothing to fancy, but a nice, clean hotel for pric"
Stayed at Hotel Tomo one night, just as a weekend get away.Usually stay in Union Square or Embarcadero, but wanted to try something different. Reception was welcoming, hotel in center of Japantown. Good location although a few miles from Embarcadero and Union Square. We parked in mall garage, which is across street from hotel for $23/day. Hotel parking fee was $29/day. Room was clean and nice, definitely nothing fancy, but also is a good size. Bed was surprisingly comfortable. Price was good for what you got. Would stay again if I wanted to be in that part of town.
1 night romance trip Oct 11, 2014
Nice, clean, and a little different ! Loved the murals. Good night sleep with comfortable bed and quiet environment. Would stay there again for these reasons and the fact that it is close to shopping and restaurants.
Other trip Oct 14, 2014
Tomas
"Crappy hotel."
Noise from the street, neighbors rooms, hallway. Stinky Asian restaurant down the hall from my room. No valet, but paid 20 bucks a day to self park. Looks like ownership ran out of money when renovating this place.poorly operted hotel.
Other trip Oct 6, 2014
"Nice Change Up"
Was comfortable and yet different, parking is tight and limited but somewhat reasonably priced. Food and Bar pretty good kind of $$$. Good walking distance from most famous clubs.
1 night trip Sep 23, 2014
"thank you tomo"
efficient city stay, great udon noodles
2 night trip with friends Sep 26, 2014
"Overpriced, but a safe, quiet stay for adult+kids"
We had an extremely overpriced, one night stay at Hotel Tomo. 9 & 12 year old girls loved it! The staff is very friendly, the hotel is quirky and interesting. You can tell the hotel is a revamp from a basic best western-y or comfort inn style building. You're not getting fancy here. For the 3-4 big bills it cost, you can def stay somewhere a little more upscale. The murals in the rooms, lobby, restaurant and elevators are very fun. The room we stayed in was clean (a few carpet stains, but everything else was nice). The platform beds are comfortable and basic. Hot shower! What I found best about the hotel was that is is far removed from the seedier elements of SF, but close enough to get to everything. I felt very safe as a woman traveling with 2 young girls. Cons: Parking was silly and a little pricey added on to our bill. The hotel had a very limited amount of parking, but we found a spot every time we left and came back. NO VIEWS! While the hotel is very quiet (no street noise), the noise from the hallway woke us up a few times. We ate breakfast at Mums, but it was not the best. I'm certain their specialty is the steamy shabushabu lunch/dinner. I'd go into town next time to eat. NO ROOM SERVICE! That can be a killer if you just want to stay in or are traveling with very little ones. Overall, we were happy to stay here and glad for the experience, as easy going travelers, but would most likely try out another hotel next time, especially for the price.
1 night family trip Sep 20, 2014
Tobie H
Hotel location is very safe. Staff is warm and welcoming. Room decor was a little odd. Closet area needs a better curtain. Room was spacious in size for a smaller hotel in a city. It was very quiet at all times. TV in the room was a modern flat screen, also nice to have a fridge. It would be helpful to have more outlets to recharge phone, PC. Carpet by the door was dirty, hangars were broken. Gym was small but very functional and bright with a decent window view.
Other trip Sep 21, 2014
rooms not clean mattresses not clean management unresponsive to concerns
Other trip Sep 21, 2014
"pretty nice"
The hotel was nice. Not really child friendly but our young kids liked the artwork and decorating. Their parking garage was full so we had to park a block away any walk with three small children and all our stuff. They do have two unloading parking spots in front but they were taken and we didn't want to keep driving around until they opened up. Parking a block away was actually a lot cheaper than parking at the hotel so if you don't have young kids I would park in the mall parking garage. Nice rooms, clean, and comfortable.
1 night trip Sep 4, 2014
"Not Kimpton - JDV...."
Hi Hotels.com - my stay was great but your system is incorrect. Hotel Tomo is not a Kimpton Hotel, it is under JDV/Commune.
1 night business trip Sep 9, 2014
"Good location modern design."
Loved the anime - nice to have parking at the hotel too
Other trip Sep 8, 2014
Suzie
The hotel did what it needed too but not much beyond that. We had a place to sleep but didn't offer much more. Our room appeared clean but felt dirty and had a strong odor. There was nothing terribly wrong but nothing great either. It was cheaper than some of the other hotels so that helped.
2 night trip Sep 2, 2014
Lindsey
"Nice hotel in Japan town"
This is a quiet and clean hotel. Local cuisine with a Benihana close b. close to Muni line and taxi to Fisherman's Wharf about a $10 dollar cab ride. The hotel is centrally located for AT&T Park for Giants games, a short drive over the Bay bridge for A's Games. The staff were very friendly and helpful. The inhouse restaurant was very good as well. We will definately stay here again when we return.
Other trip Sep 5, 2014
Chuck
"Convenient location for Japanese-ish food."
Easy to get to Japantown for Japanese-ish food (not truly Japanese but so-so food by local people. Much quieter than downtown San Francisco, and less homeless people around. Good distance to Fillmore street for cafe and lunch or dinner. Beware of limo guy always waiting in front of the hotels (Hotel Tomo, Kabuki Hotel and almost all hotels in town, you'll see these limo drivers who would charge you very expensive price and they are 'connected' with hotel bellboy). They sometimes pretend that they are from Uber.
Other trip Sep 5, 2014
BizTripMan
"Decent Stay"
I liked Hotel Tomo, very unique theme. The only complaint is the price point for what you get. Even $205 as a discounted rate is a little much for this hotel in my opinion.
1 night family trip Aug 30, 2014
"Close to Japan Town"
The hotel is reasonably priced for San Francisco. It is quite a walking distance to Union Square but we like to walk so it didn't bother us. If you like Asian food, some wonderful eateries where the locals hang out.
Other trip Sep 2, 2014
"Very comfortable"
Enjoyed the room and the hotel. Surrounding area was clean and hotel staff very friendly.
1 night trip Aug 27, 2014
"Great place"
I would of have this hotel 5 stars but the beds were horrible.
Other trip Sep 1, 2014
"Comfortable, quiet and convenient for Wharf area"
The hotel has limited parking which was a concern since we need to use one wheelchair however the staff was very accomodating and allowed us to park the car in the garage hours before our check in. The room was very comfortable, quiet an clean. The restaurant had Japanese and U.S. fare and so accomodated both of us. This hotel turned out to be an excellent choice for price, locale to where we wanted to visit as well as to get away from the crowds and noise at night. The staff was excellent. I would recommend this hotel to anyone visiting San Francisco.
Other trip Aug 27, 2014
Aud
"Totally Groovy Digs"
Staff is always very accomodating. Mellow environment. Rooms are always clean.
1 night trip Aug 19, 2014
TommyBear
It is sufficiently clean and the position is optimal. Good ratio quality/price
Other trip Aug 24, 2014
"Very close to japantown"
Very expensive but close to japantown and Fillmore. Parking is costly and difficult if you drive a full size. Hotel restaurant great for drinks and shabu but not American breakfast. Hotel staff nice and friendly. Will stay by the beach next time.
Other trip Aug 24, 2014
a
"Good value for the price"
For a short stay would have no problem recommending Tomo. Nice area, friendly staff & worked well for a family stay. Good restaurants nearby.
Other trip Aug 9, 2014
"Comfortable, clean rooms but spotty night service"
I enjoyed everything about my stay except that I couldn't find bottled water anywhere in the hotel or the surrounding neighborhood after midnight. The front desk clerk was no help so I ended up taking a cab to another neighborhood that has an open gas station where I purchased the water. Most expensive bottle water I've ever bought from a hotel! Aside from the spotty night service, this is a great value.
1 night trip Jul 31, 2014