All hotels in Honolulu, Hawaii, United States of America
You can collect Hotels.com® Rewards nights here2259 Kalakaua Avenue, Honolulu, HI, 96815, United States of America, ‏‎800-491-6126

4.8
"Nostalgia wins!"
We stayed here as much for nostalgia, as anything else, since my parents had come here in 1955 on their honeymoon. When I told the woman at check-in she upgraded us to an ocean front room. We stayed only one night because we were going on a cruise the next day. The hotel is lovely and full of charm, but the rooms were totally modern and wonderful
1 night family trip May 8, 2015
"Anniversary staycation with the kids"
We are locals here on Oahu. My husband planned a getaway stay at Royal Hawaiian for our family for 3 nights for our anniversary. The hotel suite was roomy! Our 1 year old and 3 year old had a nice hallway to play in and our girls (9 & 16) enjoyed the living area, while the Mr. & I had our quiet time in a nice size bedroom with a King size bed. We enjoyed the close walk to Royal Hawaiian shopping center and the beach was right there. It was a wonderful stay!
3 night family trip Apr 24, 2015
"Beautiful hotel, disappointing service"
The hotel was beautiful and the location is great. Its right in the middle of Waikiki and the ocean is very close. I thought that we would get better service when we arrived. The valets were very nice upon arrival. They gave us leis, which was really nice. When I went to check in, there was no one at the desk. There were 2 concierge ladies sitting right in front of the check in desk. Being that I was standing there I thought at least one of them would say something and try to help me. Finally I asked one of them if this was where I was supposed to check in after standing there for 3 minutes or so. I expected better service for the amount of money that it costs to stay there. After that one of them got up to find someone. The guy that checked us in, Walter, was not very friendly or helpful. He seemed to be in a rush and it almost seemed like I was bothering him. He did not ask us any questions or make us feel welcome, which I thought was odd. Maybe because I wasn't staying in a suite he felt like he didn't need to make us happy. Other than that the rest of the staff was very nice. I wish that it didn't happen right when we checked in because it kind of put a damper on the whole weekend. The rooms were very nice and I loved the malie toiletries that were in the rooms. The kids loved the Sheraton pool next door.
2 night family trip Apr 24, 2015
Chanelle
"Paradise Has a Name: Royal Hawaiian"
Beautiful smaller renovated hotel with old world Hawaiian charm. Staff was wonderful. Hotel sits in the heart of Waikiki surrounded by upscale shopping and some good restaurants. The beach at the hotel is beautiful and clean. Hotel does not have the noise and crowding of larger hotels.
2 night family trip Apr 17, 2015
"Last night in Hawaii"
We ended our Hawaiian vacation in style at the Royal Hawaiian. Everything was top of the line and luxurious. All the staff that we had contact with were impeccable. Next vacation, we may leave the North Shore a little earlier.
1 night romance trip Jan 24, 2015
Debra
"Royal Hawaiian Hotel - it's the best!"
We had a garden view rather than an ocean, which was fine with us. Room was very quiet, bed comfortable, spacious walk-in closet, bathroom was modern but it could have been a bit larger; however, since the hotel has been around for eons, there is not much one can do to change this feature. The restaurant changes its name depending on meal service, which is rather unusual. If you book the room with breakfast included, the meal is from a set menu of choices, which is okay because the main part of breakfast is also on the main dining room menu that you would pay for directly, so the choices are no different, just no prices on the set menu. Hotel has features that they charge for - cabanas, lounge chairs with umbrellas, parking and some other things BUT they do have a photographer on site and you get to set up an appointment for a photo shoot and at the end you get a free photo with hotel as backdrop and then you can pick and choose or not choose any photos taken - up to you. Upon arrival the gents gets a beaded necklace and the ladies get a flower lei which is a nice touch. Be prepared for PINK - it's everywhere - its their logo. The service is impeccable - once they learn your name, the waiters, etc. all call you by Mr. and/or Mrs. or Miss ???? There is a pool on the beach. It's a resort -- what the hey? Expect luxury - it is luxury!
2 night romance trip Mar 31, 2015
Christie
"Vacation"
The accomadtions were terrific. We really enjoyed our stay
2 night family trip Feb 26, 2015
Great service . Caring about our comfort . Will return again and again .
Other trip Mar 1, 2015
reza
"One of the Oldest Hotels in Honolulu"
We stayed at the Royal Hawaiian prior to some Medical treatments, and had a wonderful time on the beach. The staff was very helpful in arranging trips and restaurant reservations. Now I know why Hollywood used to come to the Royal Hawaiian years ago. It is still one of the best secrets of Honolulu despite its Pink Color. It seems hidden by all the other larger hotels, but it is still one of the best for service and comfort. It also is the only hotel with a restaurant right there on the Beach.
Other trip Feb 26, 2015
"Felt like "Lifestyles of the Rich and Famous"!"
Felt like royalty staying at the Royal Hawaiian. The staff was very attentive and the hotel was amazing. I couldn't stop taking pictures of everything. The hotel food was fabulous and the view from our room was breathtaking. We stayed in the more historic side and it was so neat to have the windows open to hear the ocean waves and the live music from the beachside bar/restaurant. The lighting in the room was a little too dim but the bed was very comfy. The water pressure in the shower could've been better.
3 night romance trip Jan 28, 2015
cathy
"Hawaii Great but Hotel overrated BUT okay!"
The Hotel is well located. The service is slow but friendly. Too many add on charges with internet, beach chairs and others. An average hotel and over rated due to its history. Food quality okay but choice is limited. Elevators take FOREVEVER so start out early!
4 night business trip Feb 15, 2015
Stuart
"Disapointed"
This was our second trip to this hotel, our first was wonderful and I would tell everyone this is the hotel to try when going to waikiki. But this trip was different, first when checking in we found out that we were going to be charged an additional $36.00 dollars a day I think because we used expedia and they were offsettings any savings we got with them. We were woken up at 6:00am on a Sunday morning from there staff setting up breakfast outside our window for over 100 people that showed up at 7:00am. We would walk to breakfast the same way every morning but one morning we ran into more staff setting up for another breakfast group and when I asked if we could still pass through I was told by a older lady that I must not know how to read. Even though the group had not arrived we had to walk all the way back around to have breakfast. Our first trip there was no charge for umbrellas and chairs on the beach but that has changed you now paid $40.00 a day or $50.00 if you want the ugly brown umbrellas at the edge of the water. Which is all you see when sitting at the pink umbrella area. You get so tried of them asking if you have any coupons for breakfast which reminds you that some guest are getting free breakfast.( which we got our first trip.) Breakfast there is around $50.00 for two. Another thing that I didn't like was the attitudes of the people working some of the shops in the Royal Hawaiian. Not friendly, didn't speak in some cases..
Other trip Feb 18, 2015
Frances
"Beautiful Hotel close to the beach and shopping"
Great stay and beautiful hotel. Staff could Berle a little more friendly.
Other trip Feb 17, 2015
friends
"Time for a facelift"
First the good - the location is perfect if you want to visit downtown Honolulu. Other than that, it's a classic old hotel that needs a large investment. The staff is generally helpful and professional, so I really have negative to say about them. The check in went fine, nice lobby, and fairly smooth - other than they forgot to give us the breakfast vouchers we had paid for. The elevator and hallway to the room were ok, a little dated, but at least the signs got us to our "ocean view" room. The room was dated in almost every way, although the bed itself was comfortable. It also was mislabeled as Ocean View. Unless you pressed your face against the window and looked way to the right, your view was other hotel rooms with balconies hanging their clothes to dry. The bathroom was one of the smallest I've ever seen, with almost no sink counter space. Nearly half the room was wasted space as they created a sitting room and bedroom. The sitting room had the "ocean view". The toilet also clogged on a regular basis, and not because there was something exceptionally large passing through it. There was no mini bar as well. The breakfast experience was dreadful. The first morning, I explained to the staff that we had pre-paid for the breakfast, but they made no effort to confirm this or bring our vouchers. We chose the buffet, and every last item that should have been hot, was cold. It was also very unimaginative food, marginal in quality, and never changed. No space left
Other trip Feb 17, 2015
E
"Beautiful "old school" Hotel"
This is one of the oldest hotels in Waikiki and still a lovely place to stay. Our room was comfortable in the newer section allowing us to face the ocean and have a balcony. Breakfast was included and it was a large menu with a good variety - enough food to get you through to dinner. The Mai Tai Bar makes the best Mai Tai! And the location couldn't be better. It is near the best shopping all within 3-4 blocks (and I mean best "high end" shopping) and many great restaurants. The hotel was elegant and quiet compared to the surrounding hotels and I would stay there again.
Other trip Feb 8, 2015
"Beautiful Historic Hotel Right on the Beach"
We had a wonderful stay at Royal Hawaiian. All of the staff was very friendly. The hotel is very well maintained. The restaurant Azure had delicious food and wonderful staff. Prices at both Azure and Mai Tai we thought were high though. $15 for chips n' salsa seemed way over priced (a little bowl of chips)
Other trip Feb 3, 2015
"Close to the very best shops."
We stayed at this hotel the first time in 1980 and have been back a half dozen times. We have always loved the proximity to the center of Waikiki and the best shops, better than Rodeo Drive in Beverly Hills.
Other trip Jan 31, 2015
Inge
"Nice hotel close to the beach."
We appreciated the opportunity to upgrade to a ocean-facing room. This upgrade made our stay exceptional.
Other trip Jan 29, 2015
Pat
Exquisite hotel literally right on the beach. Loved learning the history it had with the island and the war. Will not stay anywhere else; will definitely be back.
Other trip Jan 29, 2015
vicki
"Top marks"
Very pleased, spendier then most and it shows. Staff excellent, friendly. Great couple of pools. Good pool slides for kids. Restaurants a bit much $$$ but many nearby. Wouldn't have the breakfast buffet again, it was good but not necessary for the price. You get what you pay for and you get a lot here.
Other trip Jan 27, 2015
Sun Lover Joe
"one of my favorite hotels"
definitely the best in honolulu, the only one with some character
2 night romance trip Jan 16, 2015
Relaxing, beautiful, great time! Helpful staff they went out of their way to accommodate us!
Other trip Jan 24, 2015
Great hotel on the beach enjoyed the old style charm.
Other trip Jan 23, 2015
"2nd stay, both good."
The check-in was very slow. There is a $35/day resort fee but it includes parking and Internet. The cleaning staff were pleasant but the wait-staff at the bar/restaurant did not smile and just did their jobs. The bed was comfortable. There was an empty mini-fridge in the room that was great for chilling some things from the many near ABC stores. The carpets seemed a little warn but in general, the hotel is beautiful. The location is unbeatable with abundant restaurants and shopping nearby. We will stay again.
Other trip Jan 21, 2015
CJ
"Very civilized!"
A classic property in a mostly quiet setting in the middle of Waikiki chaos. The Royal Hawaiian manages to bring a peaceful setting to a very busy area.
Other trip Jan 21, 2015
elysecon
"Great historical hotel!"
Beautiful historical hotel right in the middle of everything. My only complaint is that the resort fee does not cover beach seating which is an extra 40$. I understand having a resort fee but I think it's tacky that it doesn't include beach chairs. Other than that I love this hotel. Could just sit in the lobby all day it's so beautiful.
8 night romance trip Jan 10, 2015
laura
"Lovely old world hotel, nothing like any other."
I was surprised with how spacious the rooms were, I love the old part of the hotel and will definitely come back and stay again. The garden was very relaxing.
Other trip Jan 18, 2015
The Royal Hawaiin is beautiful. I only stayed one night. The bed was very comfortable. The shower was perfect. I expected the room to be larger... It just seemed so usual.
Other trip Jan 18, 2015
Trina
"You can't beat the location, right on the beach."
I liked the location but did have some issues. For one, the cost of renting lounge chairs...it was $40-50 per day. Most of the other prices were a little high too....such as dinners, drinks, etc.
Other trip Jan 9, 2015
"Hotel embodies the Aloha Spirit"
We were greeted with his and hers leis and offered fresh fruit juices. Traditional entertainment is offered in the evenings. While the Royal Hawaiian pool is very small, you can also access the Sheraton pools (which I think might be the best in Waikiki). They also have excellent beach access. The property is so beautiful with detailed deisgn everywhere you look.
1 night business trip Jan 5, 2015
"Qick getaway"
Long wait at check-in. Upgraded to a better suite. Housekeepers are fantastic.Great location right in Waikiki
1 night romance trip Dec 26, 2014
Terry
"Great Hotel, but be beach/pool chairs are scarce"
We just spent a week at the Royal Hawaiian. The grounds of the hotel are beautiful, and setting right on the beach with a view of Diamond Head is so beautiful it is surreal. However, on our arrival the front desk staff just handed us a key with no explanation whatsoever of the amenities, etc. I had to ask for our breakfast coupons and where to go and hours. They also did not give us a map or any information on the property and when I asked said they were out. We went right to the pool, beach area to get chairs to enjoy the sun and beautiful view. It was 10:00 am, we had just finished a cruise on the Pride of America and were looking forward to a lazy day in the sun. I was with my 85 year old mother and 17 year old son. I was shocked when we got to the pool to learn that there were no pool chairs, and that the chairs on the beach you had to rent for $40-$50 a pair, depending on how close you were to the beach. This was bad enough, but got worst when I was told that there were no chairs available, that day or the next day. I was told that you have to sign up for them in person the night before, or that you can rent them on line in advance. The unfortunate think is that I was not given this information in advance, or I would have rented the chairs. Only after explaining that my 85 year old mom could not lay on a towel on the sand which was there suggestion did they find some chairs we could rent. We needed 3, but I was told I had to pay for 4, as they came in pairs.
Other trip Jan 2, 2015
Maureen
"Awesome 5-Star Hotel"
It was amazing! Excellent customer service as well as fun amenities.
1 night family trip Dec 26, 2014
Loved it! Very friendly staff and a beautiful hotel!
Other trip Dec 30, 2014
"Ok stay"
Mistakes were made but corrected great food beach way to crowded and beach services they mickle and some u
2 night family trip Dec 26, 2014
Linda J.
"Hidden costs"
Beach is so crowded you can't get a toe in and if you want a beach chair be prepared to pay a hefty fee! "Resort" fees (for what??) are attached to your bill.
Other trip Dec 27, 2014
Foo
We keep coming back speaks for itself. Not sure I like being pressured to expand on what is a pretty reasonable response.
Other trip Dec 27, 2014
"Nice hotel on beach"
Great customer service and the rooms were very beautiful. Close to everything from shops to right on the beach.
Other trip Nov 30, 2014
A number of issues: the first room had someone's underwear left under a cabinet; so we were moved. The next room had no paper to make notes on, the lighting was poor so difficult to read, a half empty glass was left near the elevators for at least 12 hours; no clue where the ice was to fill the ice bucket; no afternoon "turn down" of the bed nor clean up of the waste paper, etc., and a shortage of decaf coffee. At breakfast, no sign of the complimentary "smoothy" for three of the four days, and a basket of rolls on the menu was not delivered.
Other trip Nov 29, 2014
"A Family Vacation"
Location is great for beach, shopping, dining and people watching. Convenient to everything. Loved the history and architecture of the hotel (fond memories from past stays) However the service is sub par for the what you are paying for and didn't live up to past experiences. It doesn't make for a 5 star experience. Internet was not working when we checked into our room and upon calling the front desk to inquire what to do, we were rudely instructed us to go down to the front desk to work out the problem instead of directing us to the IT company as the lady at the Front Desk ultimately did. It turned out we had not been entered into the Hotel;s system. We were in a suite but never received the complimentary newspaper as did other rooms on our floor. The sofa in the sitting room was extremely uncomfortable and the lighting in the room was dim. Overall the room was not well appointed, The carpet in particular was dirty and you could see smudges on the door. The housekeeping staff, while very hospitable and polite, seem overworked. On the plus side, the king bed was very comfortable and the Frette linens were sumptuous, the only indication that we were in a suite. The bell hops and the front doormen were exceptionally friendly and helpful.
4 night family trip Nov 11, 2014
"The Royal, Timeless Luxury and Sophistication"
We loved The Royal. It is such a beautiful and historic property. Every time we return to Oahu, this is where we'll stay!
3 night family trip Nov 16, 2014
Jeremy
"Wonderful stay."
Everything was perfect. The staff were very friendly, the food was fantastic, the drinks were delicious, and you're right on Waikiki Beach. It feels like you're staying at a private, hidden resort, even though the hotel sits on Kalakaua Ave. Close to shopping and restaurants.
Other trip Nov 23, 2014
"Great time on Waikiki"
Excellent hotel. Very very beautiful inside, looks classic and feels timeless. Room was amazing, very large. Staff was extremely courteous. Not a single negative for the whole trip. Protip: You should definitely visit the spa. Having a massage outside in their private tents is amazing!
Branden
"Great location and pools"
Old hotel that has preserved the grandeur of 100 years ago
Roosters
"very nice hotel"
classical and nice atmosphere that no other hotel can match. but pricey, very pricey...
5 night romance trip Oct 31, 2014
"Honolulu reunion."
Memorable trip. We lived in Hawaii 42 years ago (Navy) and The Royal Hawaiian was also my dad's Bachelor Officers Quarters between 7 war patrols as a sub officer in WW II. So the hotel, it's rich tradition, and a memorable visit to Peal Harbor with my kids and grandkids made it special. Plus surfing Waikiki with them is always a treat. WOW! Great stay.
1 night family trip Nov 7, 2014
"Hotel reputation exceeds current reality"
Stayed here frequently 25 years ago. Good neighborhood. Hotel isn't really up to "luxury collection" status today. Many better options in Waikiki for the same money or even less.
2 night business trip Oct 31, 2014
"Thee Best in Honolulu"
I have been to this hotel many times~ exquisite in every aspect!
4 night family trip Oct 29, 2014
"4011"
The room 4011 had no sound proofing. We could hear our neighbors cough and sneeze!
4 night romance trip Oct 28, 2014
"Ed's review"
Clean, well managed, great staff, centrally located.
Other trip Nov 3, 2014